PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Maloney

bingo70
19-10-2019, 05:22 PM
Did anybody listen to this weeks open goal podcast?

They were raving about Maloney as being a possible top manager soon. I dismissed it initially as he never really struck me as someone that had any sort of presence or leadership candidates but they put forward a pretty compelling case for him.

Served his apprenticeship at Celtic youth sides and now with the Belgian national side, could he be a decent possible replacement for Heckingbottom who will inevitably be leaving at some point soon?

Don’t think he’d be a renter or a raver but that style of management is yesterday’s news.

Fife-Hibee
19-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Man, times are rough.

Scorrie
19-10-2019, 05:27 PM
I posted Maloney‘s name up a few weeks ago as a possible replacement for PH. Very highly thought of and a coach with the best team in the world

crash
19-10-2019, 05:42 PM
oh yeah, it must be really tough coaching Belgium, those passing drills must be really challenging....

McKenzie
19-10-2019, 05:43 PM
Imagine wanting someone who coaches some of the best players in the world. Definitely wouldn’t want him as manager. Deary me

supermcginn
19-10-2019, 05:57 PM
He certainly couldn't be any worse.

The 90+2
19-10-2019, 05:58 PM
oh yeah, it must be really tough coaching Belgium, those passing drills must be really challenging....

What’s passing?

Hibby70
19-10-2019, 06:00 PM
He certainly couldn't be any worse.

Shaun Ryder wouldn't be worse than this joker

supermcginn
19-10-2019, 06:01 PM

True.

bringbackbenny
19-10-2019, 06:03 PM

Great shout, Bez could be a mascot and do his maracas dance in front of the opposition bench after a Hibs goal :)

bingo70
19-10-2019, 06:05 PM

I think managing the egos would be a challenge.

I also think holding your own in that sort of company gives an amount of credibility.

Unseen work
19-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Not for me.

I listened to the podcast and they were full of praise for him but it’s also a bit of a pals act and he’s landed on his feet.

Luckily Martinez worked with him at Wigan and has took him to Belgium.

He must have something about him as a coach and may well be very good at that, but he’s still very young and being a manager is a completely different ball game.

bingo70
19-10-2019, 06:07 PM
Not for me.

I listened to the podcast and they were full of praise for him but it’s also a bit of a pals act and he’s landed on his feet.

He must have something about him as a coach and may well be very good at that, but he’s still very young and being a manager is a completely different ball game.

Fair points.

Martinez wouldn’t take him to the Belgium set up as an old pals act though, he just have something about him that made him want him to offer the guy a job and I’m not sure it’s just luck.

The 90+2
19-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Not for me.

So the Belgian FA appoint Martinez with the remit of delivering a major championship to the country and he just decides to appoint any number two as an old pals act? Some random that played for him at Wigan no less? That makes no sense at all sorry. Maloney has a massive reputation in the Scottish game along with John Kennedy, that was even before he went to Belgium full time and left Celtic.

Unseen work
19-10-2019, 06:17 PM
So the Belgian FA appoint Martinez with the remit of delivering a major championship to the country and he just decides to appoint any number two as an old pals act? Some random that played for him at Wigan no less? That makes no sense at all sorry. Maloney has a massive reputation in the Scottish game along with John Kennedy, that was even before he went to Belgium full time and left Celtic.

He never had a massive reputation within the Scottish game as a coach at all, he was Celtics under 20’s coach for one year.

If you read it, the pals act was in reference to him being talked up on open goal by Ferry, Slaney and Beattie.

You really think he would be with Belgium if it wasn’t for Martinez knowing him from Wigan though? Martinez clearly rates him but that doesn’t make him some outstanding coach after 2 years coaching.

Theres plenty of well thought of coaches, doesn’t mean they’re cut out to be a manager.

WoreTheGreen
19-10-2019, 06:18 PM
What’s passing?

Our season