PDA

View Full Version : Islam Feruz

Squirrel 1875
19-10-2019, 06:37 AM
From wonder kid with Chelsea to on the bench for a pub team. What a fall from grace. Would love to know what his colleagues at hibs thought of him during his brief spell with us, particularly as we barely seen him play.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/opinion/alan-pattullo-lament-for-the-unfulfilled-career-of-islam-feruz-1-5029179/amp

Jones28
19-10-2019, 06:54 AM
It’s rare that you’d say someone doesn’t deserve their dream come true but this guy comes pretty close.

JimBHibees
19-10-2019, 07:02 AM
Was he ever that good? Thought he looked terrible at Hibs unfit didn't work hard enough and bang average. Got huge opportunity and blew it but no doubt earned loads at Chelsea.

Lancs Harp
19-10-2019, 07:29 AM
He spent a spell on loan at Blackpool, my local club before he came to Hibs. He was as equally nondescript there too just played the odd game.

Somebody at Chelsea must have seen something in him at some point but its fair to say no one has seen much from him since.

Since90+2
19-10-2019, 07:33 AM
Was obviously a talent at some point but he effectively became a millionaire at 16/17. Not sure that's good for alot of people.

Iain G
19-10-2019, 07:48 AM
From wonder kid with Chelsea to on the bench for a pub team. What a fall from grace. Would love to know what his colleagues at hibs thought of him during his brief spell with us, particularly as we barely seen him play.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/opinion/alan-pattullo-lament-for-the-unfulfilled-career-of-islam-feruz-1-5029179/amp

That's an awful bit of writing there though! Trying too hard!

Viva_Palmeiras
19-10-2019, 08:51 AM
One thing that will likely never be given much consideration:

Imagine he was your son.

CloudSquall
19-10-2019, 09:01 AM
It's hard to think of someone that earned so much for so little.

19-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Hibs legend

green with envy
19-10-2019, 09:08 AM
I think his head was in the clouds even at a young age. He should have stayed at celtic instead of chasing the dollar, he may even have turned out to be not only a good player but a decent person outside of football too.

Diclonius
19-10-2019, 09:09 AM
This article's been a long time coming.

Could've been a star but he blew it. He'll soon retire or end up signing for someone like Albion.

GoalsMcGinley
19-10-2019, 09:16 AM

Most of his colleagues thought the same as us. He was a total weapon of a man who most didn’t want near the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
19-10-2019, 09:21 AM
I'm glad my career opportunities came later in life than 15 though. God knows what I would have done at that age. The poor laddie can't have had great folk around him.

The 90+2
19-10-2019, 09:24 AM
I hope for his sake he’s kept his money.

Since452
19-10-2019, 09:31 AM
Not sure he was that good to start with. Seemed ridiculously overrated

JimBHibees
19-10-2019, 10:24 AM

Yep similar to other old firm young players hyped to be amazing after a couple of games.

Pretty Boy
19-10-2019, 10:42 AM
He was a great wee player when he was young, played a couple of age groups above himself and still stood out. A lot of players just peak and flatline though and he could well be one of those. I don't think the money and his attitude have helped him though.

I always wonder how he would have turned out if he had stayed at Celtic under Tommy Burns for another couple of years. TB was an outstanding coach, mentor and father figure for young lads and worked tirelessly to help Feruz and his family.

The 90+2
19-10-2019, 10:53 AM

He was that good in Celtic youths. Best prospect of a generation.

The 90+2
19-10-2019, 10:55 AM
He was a great wee player when he was young, played a couple of age groups above himself and still stood out. A lot of players just peak and flatline though and he could well be one of those. I don't think the money and his attitude have helped him though.

I always wonder how he would have turned out if he had stayed at Celtic under Tommy Burns for another couple of years. TB was an outstanding coach, mentor and father figure for young lads and worked tirelessly to help Feruz and his family.

You can’t really blame a young man living in pretty much poverty with his mum left war torn Somalia chasing the big £ though. He should have stayed at Celtic in hindsight but at the same time he was leaving Celtic they where punting Robertson.

Colr
19-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Had a very troubled upbringing. Maybe he should have been more closely shepherded. Being thrown into money and attention is not always a great help if you’re emotionally damaged

Gmack7
19-10-2019, 12:36 PM
It's hard to think of someone that earned so much for so little.

Daniel Prodan

CRAZYHIBBY
19-10-2019, 01:53 PM
He was a cracking player but greed ruined him

Viva_Palmeiras
19-10-2019, 02:07 PM
Maslows hierarchy of needs model/theory suggests that money is not the only motivating factor but the basic needs are food/safety/bit of in-out before other things are considered like self-esteem, status, relationship with family/friends/wider acceptance, recognition.

So maybe overriding motivators meant that he’d satisfied his need for safety and security (and that of his family) perhaps before he even got really started so everything else was irrelevant in the grand scheme of things - at least nobody dies by and large playing footie.

Squirrel 1875
19-10-2019, 02:35 PM
That's an awful bit of writing there though! Trying too hard!

Totally agree. The intro in particular is all over the place. Always good to start with a bit of colour but what he has put there is way over the top. Usually a great writer though, and generally I enjoy The Scotsman’s sport coverage. I have a subscription to The Scotsman’s e-paper and read it daily.

Centre Hawf
19-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Remember being told in training he could do things with a ball no one else could but he had no want to work and impress anyone. If the rumours of his wage were true then I can't say I'm surprised.

SRHibs
19-10-2019, 02:58 PM
Totally agree. The intro in particular is all over the place. Always good to start with a bit of colour but what he has put there is way over the top. Usually a great writer though, and generally I enjoy The Scotsman’s sport coverage. I have a subscription to The Scotsman’s e-paper and read it daily.

Didn't think it was bad. Was a pretty interesting juxtaposition. The style of the article seems to quickly change though, making the start of the article come across as a bit out of place.

EI255
19-10-2019, 03:44 PM
Deary me. How he ever made it to Chelsea is beyond comprehension.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Unseen work
19-10-2019, 03:59 PM
Can we sign him? Probably get a game in this team.