PDA

View Full Version : Players walking off . . .

eebsie
18-10-2019, 01:58 PM
What would happen to the game in Scotland if players walked off every time there was religious chanting or singing?

Since452
18-10-2019, 01:59 PM
What would happen to the game in Scotland if players walked off every time there was religious chanting or singing?

Rangers or Celtic would be awarded 3 points no doubt. FWIW I'd fully support it

Scouse Hibee
18-10-2019, 02:00 PM

There would be no games.

Diclonius
18-10-2019, 02:05 PM
It wouldn't happen because players/management at non-OF wouldn't do it. Plenty of them are sectarian/sectarianism apologists too.

Onion
18-10-2019, 02:06 PM
The club would be fined and deducted 12 points for attempting to do the SFA's job for them.

Keith_M
18-10-2019, 02:15 PM
The former head of the SFA, Gordon Smith, would repeat his claim that no Rangers songs are sectarian.

Celtic would declare their songs to be Folk Songs.

The club playing them would be fined and relegated

Baader
18-10-2019, 02:17 PM
There'd be very little football. It really is disgraceful the complete inaction of the authorities regarding it. It's basically condoned.

lyonhibs
18-10-2019, 02:34 PM
I think it wouldn't happen because for most players, religion (and being abused by idiots for your perceived choice of it based on the strip you happen to be wearing at that time) isn't an important/integral part of their character, certainly less so than race is.

It shouldn't go on of course, but knuckledraggers will always want to drag their knuckles and I don't think enough players care enough to co-ordinate a mass walk-off because "Up to our knees in Fenian blood" or "Up the 'RA" (or whatever the "folk tune" du jour is these days) is being belted out.

Doesn't make it even vaguely acceptable or excusable, but that's my take on it.

Bostonhibby
18-10-2019, 02:36 PM
The SPFL would award walkovers to celtc and sevco every week, trophies and titles would be decided by which of the two had the most offensive songs and the rest of the clubs would have to pay them compensation for the rest of the games that never went ahead

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Not So Young
18-10-2019, 02:49 PM
We would never even get to half time

Anthony Soprano
18-10-2019, 02:53 PM
What annoys me even more is that not one club has took a stand against it (sectarianism), the only people I can think of recently to say something are Neil Lennon and Steve Clarke, and even then they did it on their own without the backing of their clubs.

The amount of abuse we have received going through to ibrox over the years and the fact that the club have never took a stand against it infuriates me.

If you call a black man a n***** you would be dealt with accordingly and rightly so because it's disgusting language.
So why is it okay to call someone a fenian?

Lunatic
18-10-2019, 03:16 PM
Rangers or Celtic would be awarded 3 points no doubt. FWIW I'd fully support it

Regardless of whether or not they were involved in the game....

The 90+2
18-10-2019, 03:58 PM
There’s no strict liability so the club with the players walking off would be penalised.

Sammy7nil
18-10-2019, 05:19 PM
What annoys me even more is that not one club has took a stand against it (sectarianism), the only people I can think of recently to say something are Neil Lennon and Steve Clarke, and even then they did it on their own without the backing of their clubs.

The amount of abuse we have received going through to ibrox over the years and the fact that the club have never took a stand against it infuriates me.

If you call a black man a n***** you would be dealt with accordingly and rightly so because it's disgusting language.

I agree but is it okay to call people Huns?

WeeRussell
18-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Yes.

04Sauzee
18-10-2019, 06:14 PM
Had to read the thread title twice. Thought it was something to do with the Longbangers podcast 😬

Eyrie
18-10-2019, 06:41 PM

"Hun" refers to an individual who supported Rangers RIP, supports Sevco or both. It does not refer to the individual's particular interpretation of a particular religious belief system. So a Hun could be Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim etc or even an atheist, which means that "Hun" is not sectarian.

eebsie
18-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Just interested.
We tolerate it every week. But if it was race related and not religious would there be less acceptance of it?

Since90+2
18-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Just interested.
We tolerate it every week. But if it was race related and not religious would there be less acceptance of it?

Although some of the songs relate to religion I don't actually think the problem is religious sectarianism in this day and age. Rangers fans are more anti Irish and Celtic fans anti British (and to a lesser extend possibly abit anti English) rather than it actually being a religious divide.

Of the two Rangers would seem to have the bigger issues around actual religious bigotry than Celtic IMO although it mostly stems from anti Irish Nationalism.

CMurdoch
18-10-2019, 10:32 PM

Sorry, i can't let this go.
You used the word took instead of taken TWICE in the same post!!!

While i'm at it, the number of folk on this board who similarly use the word seen in posts instead of saw does my box in.

:grr:

I feel much better now.

P.S. Weegies on TV & Radio football even use a made up word, wir instead of our. Tommy Burns being the worst culprit ever.