PDA

View Full Version : Pippo Inzaghi

Mibbes Aye
18-10-2019, 12:09 AM
I read this and thought it was a wonderful article about the goal machine that was Pippo Inzaghi.

It manages to get quotes from the Scottish international, Richard Hughes, and also references Belle and Sebastian (Green Goblin, don’t take offence!)

https://www.football365.com/news/a-tribute-to-the-basic-but-brilliant-pippo-inzaghi

SteveHFC
18-10-2019, 12:42 AM
He was one of my heroes growing up. Very underrated player.

CMurdoch
18-10-2019, 12:49 AM
I read this and thought it was a wonderful article about the goal machine that was Pippo Inzaghi.

It manages to get quotes from the Scottish international, Richard Hughes, and also references Belle and Sebastian (Green Goblin, don’t take offence!)

https://www.football365.com/news/a-tribute-to-the-basic-but-brilliant-pippo-inzaghi

thanks, a good read.

Mibbes Aye
18-10-2019, 01:28 AM
thanks, a good read.

:aok:

Mibbes Aye
18-10-2019, 02:18 AM
He was one of my heroes growing up. Very underrated player.

Green Goblin or Pippo? :greengrin

Haymaker
18-10-2019, 02:18 AM
Awesome read. As it says in the article the best worst player of all time.

Mibbes Aye
18-10-2019, 02:20 AM
Awesome read. As it says in the article the best worst player of all time.

There are a number of great lines in the article but that is probably my favourite!

Just_Jimmy
18-10-2019, 03:58 AM
Born offside.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Haymaker
18-10-2019, 04:00 AM
Born offside.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Didn't SAF say that about him?

Haymaker
18-10-2019, 04:01 AM
There are a number of great lines in the article but that is probably my favourite!

:agree:

MWHIBBIES
18-10-2019, 05:39 AM
You watch a video of all his goals then watch a video of all of Derek Riordans goals. You'd never think Pippo was the top player who won all the trophies.

Absolutely amazing poacher and I loved his passionate celebrations. One of my favourites growing up.

BILLYHIBS
18-10-2019, 05:57 AM
Poor mans Jamie MacLaren :greengrin

lyonhibs
18-10-2019, 06:43 AM
Had the utterly invaluable ability to know where to be in the box. Very lucky to have found his role at AC Milan of that era though. He'd have been a journeyman at best in lesser teams.

Barman Stanton
18-10-2019, 06:59 AM
Poor mans Jamie MacLaren :greengrin

Funny that was my first thought as well. Well not a poor mans, but McLaren has that knack of being in the right place. Something McCoist and Lineker both had as well.

Barman Stanton
18-10-2019, 07:04 AM
Had the utterly invaluable ability to know where to be in the box. Very lucky to have found his role at AC Milan of that era though. He'd have been a journeyman at best in lesser teams.

Not sure I agree. He also scored loads of goals for Juventus and Italy too. In fact his best league total ever is a crazy 24 goals in his only season at Atlanta. The guy just scored goals wherever he went.

hfc rd
18-10-2019, 07:10 AM
Very good player who was very underrated. Always in the right place at the right time.

Thinking back to that Milan team he played in, it was one of/if not the best team in Europe. Talent in every single position. It’s crazy to imagine how far they have fallen now. I doubt anyone would have predicted it.

Dida

Cafu
Stam
Nesta
Maldini

Pirlo
Gattuso
Seedorf
Kaka

Shevchenko
Inzaghi

lyonhibs
18-10-2019, 07:45 AM
Not sure I agree. He also scored loads of goals for Juventus and Italy too. In fact his best league total ever is a crazy 24 goals in his only season at Atlanta. The guy just scored goals wherever he went.

Juve and Italy aren't exactly The Dog and Duck though are they? The Atalanta stat is impressive, granted.

Fergus52
18-10-2019, 07:54 AM
Wasn't just a knack for being in the right place at the right time - his work rate and intelligence in his movement were both underrated.

Managed to see him in the flesh twice and both games, whenever Milan had the ball he didn't stop trying to get in behind, pulling wide to draw his marker out, making dummy runs etc. always trying to find the optimal space.

His reputation for being offside was because he was often a step-ahead of his team-mates (as illustrious as they were) who wouldn't see his run until too late.

BILLYHIBS
18-10-2019, 08:23 AM
Trying to think of HIBS players with similar attributes

I remember Darren Jackson when he played up front with Keith Keith Keith Keith would often play on the last man and play Russian Roulette with the Lino and The Ref more often than not he was pulled up for offside even when not but every now and then he got away with it and was clean through

Arthur Duncan was that quick as a winger he would often give his full back a head start but by the time the Lino clocked him he was clean through and often wrongly pulled up for offside

He played for Scotland at Wembley and the English commentators could not believe how quick he was

Getting back to Inzaghi he was quality his goal scoring record speaks for itself and that AC Milan side was a team that comes around once in a generation no one could lay a glove on them

The 90+2
18-10-2019, 08:29 AM
He would be goosed with var.

Barman Stanton
18-10-2019, 08:46 AM
Juve and Italy aren't exactly The Dog and Duck though are they? The Atalanta stat is impressive, granted.

You said he would be a journeyman if he had only been at lesser teams. but his goalscoring was very impressive everywhere he went with the exception of Parma. It was his goalscoring at the lesser clubs that got him the moves to Juventus and Milan.

Barman Stanton
18-10-2019, 08:48 AM
Trying to think of HIBS players with similar attributes

I remember Darren Jackson when he played up front with Keith Keith Keith Keith would often play on the last man and play Russian Roulette with the Lino and The Ref more often than not he was pulled up for offside even when not but every now and then he got away with it and was clean through

Arthur Duncan was that quick as a winger he would often give his full back a head start but by the time the Lino clocked him he was clean through and often wrongly pulled up for offside

He played for Scotland at Wembley and the English commentators could not believe how quick he was

Getting back to Inzaghi he was quality his goal scoring record speaks for itself and that AC Milan side was a team that comes around once in a generation no one could lay a glove on them

You could argue it wasnt even the best Milan team of the generation. I would place the Van Basten, Gullit etc team as higher. Must have been some time being a Milan fan that.

renato
18-10-2019, 08:58 AM
You could argue it wasnt even the best Milan team of the generation. I would place the Van Basten, Gullit etc team as higher. Must have been some time being a Milan fan that.

It was. Now, however....😢

renato
18-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Didn't SAF say that about him?

Yep. Great quote, sums up super Pippo.

I think all the forwards Milan had back then complemented each other well, Pippo, Crespo and Shevchenko. Frightening.

BILLYHIBS
18-10-2019, 09:05 AM

👍🏾

jacomo
18-10-2019, 09:34 AM
Don’t think it’s correct to say he was under rated. By who? Fans loved him and managers kept picking him - Ancelotti sums up why.

heretoday
18-10-2019, 12:18 PM
It always seemed to me he took one chance out of four offered. Bit like Defoe when he played for Spurs.

Handsome devil though.

My_Wife_Camille
18-10-2019, 01:05 PM
Not for me. Far too preoccupied with scoring goals to focus on winning flick ons and making intelligent off the ball runs.

Barman Stanton
18-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Not for me. Far too preoccupied with scoring goals to focus on winning flick ons and making intelligent off the ball runs.

And yet all these top managers kept picking him in their starting eleven.

My_Wife_Camille
18-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Wow, what a great observation

Barman Stanton
18-10-2019, 02:08 PM
Wow, what a great observation

And what a great debate you put forward.

Sammy7nil
18-10-2019, 05:23 PM

WHOOSH ! :greengrin

BIGK
18-10-2019, 08:51 PM
Was a player that took the playground poacher to the nth degree. Always loved to look and pick at his flaws but his record for goals compared to his football ability is out of this world. I'll always say that he was the worst football player to win a champions league, and yes he was born offside.

MWHIBBIES
18-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Was a player that took the playground poacher to the nth degree. Always loved to look and pick at his flaws but his record for goals compared to his football ability is out of this world. I'll always say that he was the worst football player to win a champions league, and yes he was born offside.

He probably wouldn't make the top 25 worst to win the champions league. Guys like Djimi Traore, David May, Jonathan greening etc much worse. Pippo started and won 2 finals and scored twice in the second one. Scored hundreds at the top level, won the world cup as well.

Mibbes Aye
19-10-2019, 12:29 AM
:greengrin

Dr_Regal
19-10-2019, 12:31 AM
Very good player who was very underrated. Always in the right place at the right time.

Thinking back to that Milan team he played in, it was one of/if not the best team in Europe. Talent in every single position. It’s crazy to imagine how far they have fallen now. I doubt anyone would have predicted it.

Dida

Cafu
Stam
Nesta
Maldini

Pirlo
Gattuso
Seedorf
Kaka

Shevchenko
Inzaghi

Filthy side. Most of us on here could get goals in that team as a poacher.

Mibbes Aye
19-10-2019, 12:36 AM
He probably wouldn't make the top 25 worst to win the champions league. Guys like Djimi Traore, David May, Jonathan greening etc much worse. Pippo started and won 2 finals and scored twice in the second one. Scored hundreds at the top level, won the world cup as well.

Yep. It is probably worth a thread in its own right but every great side -Juve now or early to mid 80s, Milan in 90s, Real at the turn of the century, Ajax mid-nineties or mid-seventies, Man Utd turn of the century, Arsenal early noughties, Barca under Cruyff or when the Xavi-Iniesta axis was peak- they surely all had at least one huddie who was just along for the ride. Didn’t do anything wrong, played his part, but had nothing really other than doing one specific job he was allocated to do.

hibsbollah
23-10-2019, 03:20 PM
It must be inzaghi week. Golazzo on Inzaghi here. I'm with Gabriel Marcotti, you couldnt dispute his goals but i always found Inzaghi annoying as a player.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4APMlp8vY9SvcYU00enBZ3?si=vxRXuI5uS1qTIKBzDKZqZw

The_Exile
24-10-2019, 09:21 AM
Yep. It is probably worth a thread in its own right but every great side -Juve now or early to mid 80s, Milan in 90s, Real at the turn of the century, Ajax mid-nineties or mid-seventies, Man Utd turn of the century, Arsenal early noughties, Barca under Cruyff or when the Xavi-Iniesta axis was peak- they surely all had at least one huddie who was just along for the ride. Didn’t do anything wrong, played his part, but had nothing really other than doing one specific job he was allocated to do.

And the vast majority of these players would always be the first name on the team sheet, as without them, your flashy players wouldn't have the opportunities to shine. I remember Zidane absolutely raging when Real sold Makelele. His famous quote went along the lines of it being pointless having a flashy car without the engine, going as far as to publicly criticise the president which was unheard of at the time.