PDA

View Full Version : Competitions Fraser Fyvie/Jorge Claros (Hit or Miss)

HibsTalk
15-10-2019, 11:10 AM
On this week's podcast we had Liam argue Fraser Fyvie was a "miss" and Dave argue Claros was a "miss".

How successful would you deem their Hibs careers?

Links to this week's podcast below

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

HibsTalk
15-10-2019, 11:10 AM
[emoji3595][emoji3596]International Caps- Higher or Lower
[emoji1197] Hamilton Preview
[emoji736][emoji777]Player Retrospectives- Hit or Miss
[emoji780]Hibs Quiz
[emoji848]Your Questions

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7cG7ZqD6AokSSAm8BCmI5K?si=_B1mDewESOOu2ux3jkOzaw

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/91-the-one-with-loads-of-questions/id1236445811?i=1000453506068

Https://HibsTalk.com/ep91

matty_f
15-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Fraser Fyvie won the Scottish Cup. Massive hit, imho.

HibsTalk
15-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Fraser Fyvie won the Scottish Cup. Massive hit, imho.That was my comeback, Fyvie McGinn McGeoch was a strong midfield 3.

- Gav

MWHIBBIES
15-10-2019, 11:36 AM
Absolutely insane to argue Fyvie was a miss. Excellent player. Ever those who didn't rate him wouldn't say he was a miss. Contributed well to the biggest Hibs achievement in 60+ years

HibsTalk
15-10-2019, 11:40 AM
Absolutely insane to argue Fyvie was a miss. Excellent player. Ever those who didn't rate him wouldn't say he was a miss. Contributed well to the biggest Hibs achievement in 60+ yearsI'll see if Liam has a .Net account and get him to argue his case more than he done on the pod [emoji28]

WeeRussell
15-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Absolutely insane to argue Fyvie was a miss. Excellent player. Ever those who didn't rate him wouldn't say he was a miss. Contributed well to the biggest Hibs achievement in 60+ years

I agree. Although I'm sure we could find at least one .net poster who will argue he was a miss :wink:

I wish we had a fit Fraser Fyvie in our current team.

BILLYHIBS
15-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Hit Hit

Beefster
15-10-2019, 11:52 AM
I loved Fyvie and always thought his job in the team was pretty underrated. Was gutted when he left.

I didn't mind Claros but thought he was massively overrated.

Barman Stanton
15-10-2019, 11:56 AM
How can any of our Cup Winning starters possibly be considered a miss!?

Allant1981
15-10-2019, 11:59 AM
I really liked fyvie, him, mcgeouch and mcginn just seemed to click and if he had signed the new contract would have been an important player for us going forward

CRAZYHIBBY
15-10-2019, 12:01 PM
The only miss fyvie had was missing out on signing a new deal

Springbank
15-10-2019, 12:02 PM
On Fraser Fyvie, I can understand why some have him in there, but, looking back, he was in the team that won the cup, in a cup run that included:
* beating "cup charm" team Raith Rovers, away
* drawing v Hearts away, coming from 0-2 down to earn a money spinning replay
* knocked Hearts out in some style
* drew with the Cup holders in the quarters
* went away to a bogey ground, winning the replay despite the disappointment of the League Cup Final days before, AND having Oxley booked and subbed for losing a contact lense
* won the cup semi at Hampden despite Cummings' panenka horror show (in fairness he scored in the shoot out) and with the untested out of shape Polar Bear in goals
* Beat Rangers in the final, 1-0, 1-1, 1-2 (game over?), 2-2, 90+2

Fraser had a hand in winning the corner...

The greatest cup run and one of the best cup finals in Scottish Cup history.

He's a hit.

Smartie
15-10-2019, 12:13 PM
Both hits, and both players we could really do with right now (as they were when at Hibs, not sure what state either player is in right now).

The 90+2
15-10-2019, 01:28 PM
Really liked them both. Claros was overrated Fyvie under imo though.

HoboHarry
15-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Was disappointed when both left so a hit for me. Honestly I'm surprised it's a debate with these two particular players......

Barman Stanton
15-10-2019, 01:59 PM
Was disappointed when both left so a hit for me. Honestly I'm surprised it's a debate with these two particular players......

The fact its even a debate about Fyvie has put me off even listening to it to be honest. Shocking the stick that some of our Cup winners get.

DavieRoy
15-10-2019, 02:52 PM
Fyvie was a hot, a Scottish Cup winning legend and a good player although he did play in a good midfield but he complimented his teammates as they all did in that midfield.

His downsides were his injury problems and trying to hold out for better and regretting it re a new contract.

Claros, for me, flattered to deceive. Fair enough, he did play in an poor to average Hibernian team. Many were like him, Taiwo being another one. It annoys me when people are content with players like him because it shows how much the standards had dropped. He wasn’t the worst though in that team.

Hibeesmad
15-10-2019, 03:12 PM
Fyvie played a big part in getting us promotion and the Scottish Cup, therefore was a hit imo.

Claros also played a big part in taking us to two Scottish Cup finals, being the better of many others in the squad at that time. Would consider him a hit rather than a miss.

H18S NX
15-10-2019, 03:49 PM
Fyvie definitely a hit,Claros,not so much.

CloudSquall
15-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Fyvie was a hit and I was disappointed to see him go, Claros was kind of one towards the end of his stint.

On reflection he may have got hung out to dry in "that" final vs them in the middle of the park but his performance was one of the biggest ***** bag performances I've ever seen, if anything summed up our pre Stubbs/Lennon mentality vs them it was his embarrassment of a performance, shat it big time that day (like everyone else in fairness).

He seemed to find his "Pitbull" spirit the season after, but **** me...

Bostonhibby
15-10-2019, 04:01 PM
Fyvie an absolute hit, always rated him and it's a sign of how good our midfield was then that he maybe doesn't get all the credit he deserved.

Immense in that cup run and I believe he'd have held down a place in our midfields since.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

The Modfather
15-10-2019, 04:24 PM
I’d say both were hits but for everyone who underrated either, or both, there are the same amount who overrated either, or both.

I thought Fyvie was decent enough, and definitely played a big part in our resurrection. I’d have kept him when he left but wasn’t overly disappointed when he left. Felt he was a bit of a jack of all trades master of none. Not in McGeough’s class at retaining the ball and dictating a game. Same with McGinns dig and drive. He was a good understudy for both though IMO.

Northernhibee
15-10-2019, 04:39 PM
Both the 2012/13 and 2015/16 versions of Claros and Fyvie would walk into this team.

HoboHarry
15-10-2019, 04:46 PM
Fyvie was a hot, a Scottish Cup winning legend and a good player although he did play in a good midfield but he complimented his teammates as they all did in that midfield.

His downsides were his injury problems and trying to hold out for better and regretting it re a new contract.

Claros, for me, flattered to deceive. Fair enough, he did play in an poor to average Hibernian team. Many were like him, Taiwo being another one. It annoys me when people are content with players like him because it shows how much the standards had dropped. He wasn’t the worst though in that team.
There were plenty on here who said the same about wee Lewis when we were poor. As performances improved so did Lewis and Claros to me is similar - he would have been a stand out in our better teams in recent years.

MWHIBBIES
15-10-2019, 06:02 PM

What standards? Hibs have been rubbish for ever really. Claros was above average in terms of the standard Hibs have usually had.

Spike Mandela
15-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Fyvie was a Hit, if for nothing else, he won the corner for Stokes’ second goal in the final and made the energy sapping run in the 91st minute to pass the ball off to Stokes for a shot which led to the greatest ever corner and header combo known to man.

Claros, meh.

hfc rd
15-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Both hit.

Brooster
15-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Claros was average for Hibs. Fyvie was excellent. I know he regrets not signing that contract.

kinni35
15-10-2019, 09:52 PM
fyvie definitely a hit. think that aberdeen semi final kind of ended his career tho. enjoyed claros aswell as he was playing when i was growing up but can’t really say he was a hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kinni35
15-10-2019, 09:52 PM
fyvie definitely a hit. think that aberdeen semi final kind of ended his career tho. enjoyed claros aswell as he was playing when i was growing up but can’t really say he was a hit.

*hibs career

FilipinoHibs
16-10-2019, 02:16 AM
Fraser played ball to Stokes to force corner that we scored winner from.

BILLYHIBS
16-10-2019, 06:51 AM
Fraser played ball to Stokes to force corner that we scored winner from.

Fyvie SDG and The Postman were among the players that could smell blood at 1-2 down in the Final as The Rangers players started to tire and upped the ante driving us forward SDG picked up an injury but kept going as The Rangers players longed for the final whistle

hibsmad
16-10-2019, 07:37 AM
We hadn't won the Scottish Cup for 114 years, and then someone who comes along and does win it, while playing an important role for the whole match, is considered a miss!?

I would feel calling him a hit isn't enough, the guys a legend.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but have been meaning to do so. I'll maybe wait until the next episode as there is nothing anyone could say to convince me Fyvie was a "miss".

Hiber-nation
16-10-2019, 08:36 AM
I'd say that Claros's best performances were better than Fyvie's (2-1 win at tynie being the main example) but Fyvie was far more consistent.

dangermouse
16-10-2019, 10:45 AM
I'll see if Liam has a .Net account and get him to argue his case more than he done on the pod [emoji28]

His Dad has an account :greengrin As he said on the podcast I think Fyvie was a hit and my son was talking p*sh but then he has a good teacher.

patlowe
16-10-2019, 11:46 AM
Both hits and both underrated IMO, although Fyvie had the handy advantage over Claros in having some good players alongside him in midfield.

basehibby
16-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Both hits albeit minor ones - Fyvie a regular contributor without being an automatic pick in what was an excellent midfield - Claros being an automatic pick in what was an entirely forgetable midfield.

Both had a touch of class about them with Fyvie edging it for me if I had to pick between the two.

ancient hibee
16-10-2019, 05:34 PM
I always thought Fyvie tried to play as well as he could.Didn’t feel that with Claros who probably had greater potential to be really good.

Iggy Pope
16-10-2019, 05:59 PM
I was in Argentina recently and met a Honduran. Aye, I said, what about Claros ? ‘The Pitbull’ this fellah said. He thought he’d played for Celtic though.
Easy mistake I suppose if you know nothing but **** him. Fyvie for me. All of that squad are biblical.
Edited by Iggy Pope on 17/10/2019 on account of abject laziness amongst his fingers first time round.

Argylehibby
16-10-2019, 06:54 PM
On Fraser Fyvie, I can understand why some have him in there, but, looking back, he was in the team that won the cup, in a cup run that included:
* went away to a bogey ground, winning the replay despite the disappointment of the League Cup Final days before, AND having Oxley booked and subbed for losing a contact lense
* won the cup semi at Hampden despite Cummings' panenka horror show (in fairness he scored in the shoot out) and with the untested out of shape Polar Bear in goals

He's a hit.

Fraser had a hand in winning the corner but I'm pretty sure he had a hand in the other 2 goals as well.

While Stokes made his way towards goal Fraser was racing into the box ready for a pass. That had to influence the defender who didn't close Stokes down.

For the 2nd was it not Fraser that won that corner? I will need to dig the DVD out again just to make sure I am right on that one. :hyper

Anthony Soprano
17-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Both good players, always felt fyvie was a bit overrated though, often took too long to release the ball and if we were on the counter would jog forward with the ball rather than sprinting or look for a pass, lacked a bit urgency.

I liked Claros at Hibs, probably not as good technically as fyvie but always got stuck in and played well in some big games, notably the 1-0 win at Easter Road against Celtic when he had Scott brown in his back pocket.

Also worth noting that Fyvie played in a much better midfield than Claros did.

hibsbollah
17-10-2019, 09:11 AM
Hit and hit.

Marvellous
17-10-2019, 10:07 AM
Both alright. Wouldn't say either was a 'hit'.

jacomo
17-10-2019, 10:26 AM
I was in Argentina recently and met a Honduran. Aye, Claros ! ‘The Pitbull’. He thought he’d played for Celtic though.
Easy mistake I suppose if you know nothing but **** him. Fyvie for me. All of that squad are biblical.

You met Claros and he thought he had played for Celtc??

Centre Hawf
17-10-2019, 02:17 PM
Fyvie was a hit. No doubt about it. Made my feelings known in many a thread that getting rid of him was a mistake and I still do think that.

Jorge was a decent player in a honking team. I think if you put him into the cup winning team or even Neil Lennons you would have seen the best of him. Hard to really argue if someone doesn't think he's a hit but I certainly wouldn't go labelling him a miss.

Onceinawhile
17-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Fraser had a hand in winning the corner but I'm pretty sure he had a hand in the other 2 goals as well.

While Stokes made his way towards goal Fraser was racing into the box ready for a pass. That had to influence the defender who didn't close Stokes down.

For the 2nd was it not Fraser that won that corner? I will need to dig the DVD out again just to make sure I am right on that one. :hyper

He lets it go out for a corner instead of keeping it in play.

There's no doubt he played an underrated role in that day. His heroics weren't quite up their on the SDG / Stokes tier, but they were top of the next one.

Both were a hit imo.

Fyvie more so than Claros.

My_Wife_Camille
17-10-2019, 03:06 PM

He's a hit.
To be fair, Fyvie didn’t play in any of those games.

I think a calling him a ‘miss’ is harsh but I do think he was very overrated. He was by no means the worst we’ve had but imo he wasn’t any better than Scott Robertson or Tom Taiwo.

Scottish Cup winner though

Onceinawhile
17-10-2019, 03:15 PM

I think a calling him a ‘miss’ is harsh but I do think he was very overrated. He was by no means the worst we’ve had but imo he wasn’t any better than Scott Robertson or Tom Taiwo.

Scott Robertson and Fraser Fyvie were both far better than Tom Taiwo.

Anthony Soprano
17-10-2019, 03:15 PM

Agree that Fyvie was overrated but he deserves more respect than being compared to tom taiwo, he's twice the player

Iggy Pope
17-10-2019, 03:45 PM

Nah. Just a Honduran.

hibsbollah
17-10-2019, 05:19 PM
Nah. Just a Honduran.

Claros only 'thought' he was Honduran? Where was really from then? The plot thickens

Since452
17-10-2019, 05:27 PM
One hid in a derby cup final the other was a hero and walked away with a winners medal. The end.

Iggy Pope
17-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Claros only 'thought' he was Honduran? Where was really from then? The plot thickens

Who? Claros? Nae idea where he was from. Honduras?

Iggy Pope
17-10-2019, 06:23 PM
I was in Argentina recently and met a Honduran. Aye, I said, what about Claros ? ‘The Pitbull’ this fellah said. He thought he’d played for Celtic though.
Edited by Iggy Pope on 17/10/2019 on account of abject laziness amongst his fingers first time round.

Nah. Just a Honduran.

Edited for you two. Thanks.

Sproule Three
17-10-2019, 10:01 PM
I saw Claros play for Honduras against Australia here in Sydney in 2017 .
WC qualification play off .
Hardly noticed him tbh . He got a yellow for a foul. They came for a draw that night clearly.
Mark Milligan played CM for Aus

SON OF PADDY
17-10-2019, 10:11 PM
Fraser Fyvie won the Scottish Cup. Massive hit, imho.

End off !