PDA

View Full Version : Bulgaria "fans"

KDY Hibs
15-10-2019, 08:12 AM
Absolute disgrace last night, should get emptied from competition.

Hibbyradge
15-10-2019, 08:20 AM
The ones that were most culpable during the game before they left early having done their work, weren't "fans".

They were an organised fascist group of neo-Nazis who had planned to do what they did.

They wouldn't care if Bulgaria were banned from tournaments.

My question is why the police did nothing to stop the Nazi salutes, and monkey noises and gestures.

Scottie
15-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Thought England did fantastically last night under the circumstances. Be interesting what the beaks will or can do against this abhorrent behaviour of sections of the Bulgarian support last night.

Some of these countries are living 50 years in the past. Got to Kick them out of all competitions until they stamp this out themselves imo.

Ozyhibby
15-10-2019, 08:32 AM
We can hardly look down on the Bulgarians given what we allow in Scottish stadiums every week and not a word is said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jax67
15-10-2019, 08:37 AM
First of all there’s no place for racism or Nazis in this world.
I think Sky media should shoulder some of the blame though.
All last week on SSN they have been spouting about the racism they were expecting from Bulgaria at this match.
For me they gave these people a platform to spout their pish and they obliged. They were not football fans, they used the match after listening to SSN all week. Basically an invitation.
Give them no platform.

hibsbollah
15-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Some of these countries are living 50 years in the past. Got to Kick them out of all competitions until they stamp this out themselves imo.

No doubt there's a specific problem in Eastern and central Europe but there are plenty of folk living 50 years in the past in this country as well, in and out of football. Time for folk to decide if they are for or against racism and actually do something about it.

Ozyhibby
15-10-2019, 08:44 AM
No doubt there's a specific problem in Eastern and central Europe but there are plenty of folk living 50 years in the past in this country as well, in and out of football. Time for folk to decide if they are for or against racism and actually do something about it.

Specific to Eastern Europe?[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Pretty Boy
15-10-2019, 08:45 AM
Racists are idiots.

The end.

Antifa Hibs
15-10-2019, 08:49 AM

Yep. Lazio are getting done again for racism I believe - talks Celtic could be played behind closed doors in Rome. The Spanish have also been done for it.

England has also had 1000's march all over the country with an Islamophobia agenda, there are anti-catholic songs being sung in this country every other week on the terraces and on the streets but sweep sweep sweep. Nothing to see here - take a look at those 150 Sofia racists.

Ozyhibby
15-10-2019, 08:53 AM
Yep. Lazio are getting done again for racism I believe - talks Celtic could be played behind closed doors in Rome. The Spanish have also been done for it.

England has also had 1000's march all over the country with an Islamophobia agenda, there are anti-catholic songs being sung in this country every other week on the terraces and on the streets but sweep sweep sweep. Nothing to see here - take a look at those 150 Sofia racists.

And the anti Irish racism we hear at Easter Road? The anti Catholic sectarianism we hear at Easter Road?
We support a club that is willing to turn a blind eye to this in return for money and we turn a blind eye to the club doing this. No point worrying about what’s happening in Eastern Europe when we don’t even care about it happening at Easter Road.

Hibbyradge
15-10-2019, 08:55 AM

Why the mocking faces? :confused:

That's not how we hold a civilised discussion!

Hibbyradge
15-10-2019, 08:56 AM
Hate Crimes In England And Wales Have 'More Than Doubled' In The Past Six Years, Home Office Data Reveals

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/hate-crime-statistics-home-office_uk_5da58419e4b0058374e86f08

SickBoy32
15-10-2019, 08:58 AM

Totally agree, that was bordering on hysterical last night IMO.

A moral crusade, which the FA have been talking up since last week - statements were no doubt written before a ball was kicked.

Racism is of course abhorrent, but the self-righteous ****s down south should be getting their own house in order first before travelling across Europe dictating to others, with their riotous ****bag fans in tow.

As the poster above said, don't have to dig too deep to find anti Scottish/Irish/Islam sentiments down south - and of course for many Brexit was all about closing the borders...

Antifa Hibs
15-10-2019, 08:58 AM
And the anti Irish racism we hear at Easter Road? The anti Catholic sectarianism we hear at Easter Road?
We support a club that is willing to turn a blind eye to this in return for money and we turn a blind eye to the club doing this. No point worrying about what’s happening in Eastern Europe when we don’t even care about it happening at Easter Road.

That was my point, you've just made it cleaer/better :wink:

Last year Millwall v Everton in the cup "I'd rather be paki than a scouse". Audible as **** on TV. Did that make it to every single radio station, news station and newspaper in the land?

hibsbollah
15-10-2019, 09:01 AM

You're misunderstanding me, I said there is a 'specific problem' in that part of the world, that's not the same as saying its 'exclusive' to that part of the world, quite the reverse. I was making just the opposite point.

Hibbyradge
15-10-2019, 09:02 AM
Totally agree, that was bordering on hysterical last night IMO.

A moral crusade, which the FA have been talking up since last week - statements were no doubt written before a ball was kicked.

Racism is of course abhorrent, but the self-righteous ****s down south should be getting their own house in order first before travelling across Europe dictating to others, with their riotous ****bag fans in tow.

As the poster above said, don't have to dig too deep to find anti Scottish/Irish/Islam sentiments down south - and of course for many Brexit was all about closing the borders...

Did you see the Nazi salutes and monkey gestures being made by those fascists?

Both Southwell and the FA have said that they need to put their own house in order.

By the way "Self righteous ****s down south" is a pretty tolerant remark, right enough. :rolleyes:

J-C
15-10-2019, 09:04 AM
Fining these teams is a waste, not allowing them to compete in tournaments would be a better option.

Bostonhibby
15-10-2019, 09:06 AM
We can hardly look down on the Bulgarians given what we allow in Scottish stadiums every week and not a word is said.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIndeed, and whilst there's no place in a civilised society for what the England players endured last night I'd say, sadly, that xenophobia is definitely about at some English league grounds as well, certainly in evidence at lower league grounds I've been at.

Sign of the times I guess.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Hibeesmad
15-10-2019, 09:07 AM
Bulgarian Prime Minister not taking things lightly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50054475

SickBoy32
15-10-2019, 09:15 AM
Did you see the Nazi salutes and monkey gestures being made by those fascists?

Both Southwell and the FA have said that they need to put their own house in order.

By the way "Self righteous ****s down south" is a pretty tolerant remark, right enough. :rolleyes:

I did see the salutes, says a lot about the individuals. Although, I'm not sure the FA coming out with statements will sort out Bulgarian society right enough.

Self-righteous I will stand by. Maybe they could threaten to walk off in domestic matches when bananas are thrown at the Emirates? Sterling abused at Stamford Bridge? Thought not - £££ rules

Sir David Gray
15-10-2019, 09:16 AM
The ones that were most culpable during the game before they left early having done their work, weren't "fans".

They were an organised fascist group of neo-Nazis who had planned to do what they did.

They wouldn't care if Bulgaria were banned from tournaments.

My question is why the police did nothing to stop the Nazi salutes, and monkey noises and gestures.

Agreed.

When I saw the group who were mainly all dressed in black leaving around half time I thought at the time that they had been ejected but having seen the footage again I don't think they were. It actually looks to me as if they left of their own accord having achieved what they set out to do.

overdrive
15-10-2019, 09:16 AM
Bulgarian Prime Minister not taking things lightly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50054475

Sadly, Bulgaria will probably be in deeper trouble over this than for the racism. FIFA/UEFA don’t tolerate political interference from governments towards member FAs.

EI255
15-10-2019, 09:46 AM
England fans have behaved in a similar way and continue to do so. They are no strangers to this kind of behaviour either :agree:

MB62
15-10-2019, 09:49 AM
All last week on SSN they have been spouting about the racism they were expecting from Bulgaria at this match.
For me they gave these people a platform to spout their pish and they obliged. They were not football fans, they used the match after listening to SSN all week. Basically an invitation.
Give them no platform.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-10-2019, 09:53 AM
England fans have behaved in a similar way and continue to do so. They are no strangers to this kind of behaviour either :agree:

i think that Southgate has accepted that.

McD
15-10-2019, 10:13 AM
Give them no platform.

Im sure those folks in Bulgaria were sitting about wondering what to do, before someone watched sky sports news and said ‘gosh that’s it, that’s what we’ll do’ :rolleyes:

Do you also think that seeing a segment on burglaries on the news invites and makes people go out and break into homes?

Hibrandenburg
15-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Utterly despicable behaviour, but the irony of southern European Slavs giving Nazi salutes is obviously lost on them.

jax67
15-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Im sure those folks in Bulgaria were sitting about wondering what to do, before someone watched sky sports news and said ‘gosh that’s it, that’s what we’ll do’ :rolleyes:

Do you also think that seeing a segment on burglaries on the news invites and makes people go out and break into homes?

I’m sure no one was sitting around wondering what to do.
It looked pretty organised to me, even the way they all marched off together.
And to your second point, no.

Anthony Soprano
15-10-2019, 10:24 AM

Bang on:agree:

McD
15-10-2019, 10:29 AM
I’m sure no one was sitting around wondering what to do.
It looked pretty organised to me, even the way they all marched off together.
And to your second point, no.

I agree it did look organised, which would also have had nothing to do with the coverage in the days leading up to the match

jax67
15-10-2019, 10:37 AM
I agree it did look organised, which would also have had nothing to do with the coverage in the days leading up to the match

I disagree, I think it had everything to do with the coverage leading up to the match. This group saw an opportunity to get themselves on to the media, through SSN.

Weegreenman
15-10-2019, 10:43 AM
Questions need to be asked as to how a group of Nazi’s dressed in black hoodies managed to get into the stadium.

Surely Police intelligence would know who these people are?

The only surprise last night night was that there wasn’t any physical violence. They looked the type!

lyonhibs
15-10-2019, 10:53 AM
I disagree, I think it had everything to do with the coverage leading up to the match. This group saw an opportunity to get themselves on to the media, through SSN.

You think a group of Bulgarian neo Nazis were going to give a high profile game against England a miss until they watched SSN and thought "bingo, this is a golden opportunity, can't believe I didn't think of this before" and dusted off their swastikas?? :rolleyes:

The blame and responsibility for what we saw and heard last night lies firmly, squarely and wholly with the racists, not the media.

Hibbyradge
15-10-2019, 10:53 AM
I did see the salutes, says a lot about the individuals. Although, I'm not sure the FA coming out with statements will sort out Bulgarian society right enough.

Self-righteous I will stand by. Maybe they could threaten to walk off in domestic matches when bananas are thrown at the Emirates? Sterling abused at Stamford Bridge? Thought not - £££ rules

So, they draw a comparison to what their own fans are doing and that's self-righteous.

Would you have preferred if Southgate had just told his players to put up with it and get on with the game because some half-wit in London chucked a banana?

In the EPL, if people who have committed racist offences are identified, they are ejected and banned.

Yesterday, those Nazis were openly being racist and were allowed to carry on until they decided they'd had enough and left.

No arrests, no banning orders, but Southgate is self-righteous for complaining?

:hmmm:

Cataplana
15-10-2019, 10:55 AM
Utterly disgusting, and it's time these teams were booted out.

The Baldmans Comb
15-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Its just another example of the deep racism prevalent in so many country's and something Rahim Sterling by now must be very used to sadly.

He is absolutely detested simply because of his skin colour, success and ability and his refusal to know his place and conform to racial stereotypes.

Recent examples are the disgusting Monkey noises by ignorant Bulgarian fans and newspaper headlines such as ' Rahim shoots himself in the foot (his tattoo), ''Football Aces new sick tattoo' (another tattoo), 'Obscene Rahim' (A house he bought for his mum), ' Filthy 50K Mercedes' (his car), 'Dirty little love rat'(his love life 1), 'Rat of the Caribbean (his love life 2) or the ticker tape of his lifetime earnings (his salary).

Some countries have an absolutely massive problem with racism as it is just so deeply embedded in their culture and you can be sure they will always find a minority to persecute and denigrate often very subtlety through lies, misrepresentation and omission designed with the intended purpose to demean and erode confidence in order to maintain their superiority complex real or imagined.

Sterling and his manager Southgate handled this latest abomination admirably.

Sir David Gray
15-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Agreed.

When I saw the group who were mainly all dressed in black leaving around half time I thought at the time that they had been ejected but having seen the footage again I don't think they were. It actually looks to me as if they left of their own accord having achieved what they set out to do.

I should also add that I saw various "fans" dressed in Levski Sofia t-shirts and hoodies which appeared to be from the section where all the trouble came from.

Has anyone asked them for any comment?

jax67
15-10-2019, 11:13 AM
You think a group of Bulgarian neo Nazis were going to give a high profile game against England a miss until they watched SSN and thought "bingo, this is a golden opportunity, can't believe I didn't think of this before" and dusted off their swastikas?? :rolleyes:

The blame and responsibility for what we saw and heard last night lies firmly, squarely and wholly with the racists, not the media.

No I don’t think that. Your right, the blame does lie with the racists.
I don’t agree with giving them any air time whatsoever. Maybe more should have been done to stop their entry to the stadium.

Hibbyradge
15-10-2019, 11:25 AM
Its just another example of the deep racism prevalent in so many country's and something Rahim Sterling by now must be very used to sadly.

He is absolutely detested simply because of his skin colour, success and ability and his refusal to know his place and conform to racial stereotypes.

Recent examples are the disgusting Monkey noises by ignorant Bulgarian fans and newspaper headlines such as ' Rahim shoots himself in the foot (his tattoo), ''Football Aces new sick tattoo' (another tattoo), 'Obscene Rahim' (A house he bought for his mum), ' Filthy 50K Mercedes' (his car), 'Dirty little love rat'(his love life 1), 'Rat of the Caribbean (his love life 2) or the ticker tape of his lifetime earnings (his salary).

Some countries have an absolutely massive problem with racism as it is just so deeply embedded in their culture and you can be sure they will always find a minority to persecute and denigrate often very subtlety through lies, misrepresentation and omission designed with the intended purpose to demean and erode confidence in order to maintain their superiority complex real or imagined.

Sterling and his manager Southgate handled this latest abomination admirably.

Great words. :not worth

Just_Jimmy
15-10-2019, 11:39 AM
Hate Crimes In England And Wales Have 'More Than Doubled' In The Past Six Years, Home Office Data Reveals

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/hate-crime-statistics-home-office_uk_5da58419e4b0058374e86f08Whilst it's an issue. The way crime is recorded and specific policy on this and similar issues impacts this.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

SickBoy32
15-10-2019, 12:00 PM
So, they draw a comparison to what their own fans are doing and that's self-righteous.

Would you have preferred if Southgate had just told his players to put up with it and get on with the game because some half-wit in London chucked a banana?

In the EPL, if people who have committed racist offences are identified, they are ejected and banned.

Yesterday, those Nazis were openly being racist and were allowed to carry on until they decided they'd had enough and left.

No arrests, no banning orders, but Southgate is self-righteous for complaining?

:hmmm:

I was trying to make a broader point - massive issues here in the UK, never any tangible action. As I said previously, there is a genuine undercurrent of negative feeling towards Scots, Irish, muslims, catholics etc.

But as soon as a pocket of Bulgarians step out of line, it's all over the press and an entire nation is shamed.

Hysterical and self-righteous from the English.

ekhibee
15-10-2019, 12:10 PM
I was trying to make a broader point - massive issues here in the UK, never any tangible action. As I said previously, there is a genuine undercurrent of negative feeling towards Scots, Irish, muslims, catholics etc.

But as soon as a pocket of Bulgarians step out of line, it's all over the press and an entire nation is shamed.

I see what you're saying and I totally agree with you about the racial hypocracy, but Southgate isn't part of that and I agree with his remarks in relation to it. I think the more important matter is whether the Bulgarian authorities will actually do anything about it, apart from a soundbite from the prime minister.

Monts
15-10-2019, 12:11 PM
There's a surprising amount of whataboutery on this thread

One Day Soon
15-10-2019, 12:48 PM
There's a surprising amount of whataboutery on this thread

There's an entirely unsurprising amount of whataboutery on this thread.

CockneyRebel
15-10-2019, 12:50 PM

Agree there is much to address in the UK but where do you get that from?

WhileTheChief..
15-10-2019, 12:56 PM

Ok cool, so assuming you're against racism what are you doing about it?

I've decided I'm against it too, as I would imagine are 99% of the population, what do you want us to do about it?

I don't think I've ever witnessed racism so not sure how I can help?

Diclonius
15-10-2019, 01:08 PM
The Bulgarian president has now called on the head of the Bulgarian FA to resign, and will withold any financial support until he does.

What's funny is that UEFA will now suspend the Bulgarian national team not for the racism, but for "political interference". :rolleyes:

Gordy M
15-10-2019, 01:29 PM
The Bulgarian president has now called on the head of the Bulgarian FA to resign, and will withold any financial support until he does.

What's funny is that UEFA will now suspend the Bulgarian national team not for the racism, but for "political interference". :rolleyes:

Im not sure they will, but whatever it worked, head of the Bulgarian FA has resigned.

Keith_M
15-10-2019, 02:42 PM

Maybe there's something I'm missing in this but, how is the head of the Bulgarian FA to blame?

Hibeesmad
15-10-2019, 02:48 PM
Police Forces have raided the Bulgarian FA Headquarters

Keith_M
15-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Police Forces have raided the Bulgarian FA Headquarters

This is getting crazy.

CockneyRebel
15-10-2019, 03:30 PM
Maybe there's something I'm missing in this but, how is the head of the Bulgarian FA to blame?

The Bulgarian President has decided that this guy is to blame for the defeat of the National team and the lack of progress in the racism fight. They have recently been in trouble with FIFA/EUFA and he is perhaps looking for a scapegoat.

Mantis Toboggan
15-10-2019, 03:38 PM

I've decided I'm against it too, as I would imagine are 99% of the population, what do you want us to do about it?

You've seriously never witnessed racism?

hibsbollah
15-10-2019, 04:05 PM

There's lots of examples I can think of from my own life of ways I can challenge it. One, not sit silently cringing when one of my fellow supporters shouted about a Hearts player being a 'spearchucker' at a recent derby. Go up and tell the old prick he's out of order, even if I'm scared of confrontation sometimes. Two, challenge racist stereotypes and language at my sons U13 league, which happens regularly, far more than I expected, especially this season.

WhileTheChief..
15-10-2019, 04:37 PM
You've seriously never witnessed racism?

I really don’t think I have.

I mean I remember some dodgy tv from the 70s that is clearly racist looking back but in my everyday life I can’t think of any examples.

Hibbyradge
15-10-2019, 04:37 PM

The incidents you mentioned in the EPL were all over the press.

What do you think Southgate should have done in the face of what happened last night? Do you think they should have said nothing so that a few folk in Scotland don't seize the opportunity to call them self-righteous?

Or do you think complaining about the terrible way their black players were abused was wrong?

I should point out that it's not just the "English" who are outraged at the Nazis behaviour. Is everyone who is appalled at what they saw self-righteous too?

WhileTheChief..
15-10-2019, 04:41 PM
There's lots of examples I can think of from my own life of ways I can challenge it. One, not sit silently cringing when one of my fellow supporters shouted about a Hearts player being a 'spearchucker' at a recent derby. Go up and tell the old prick he's out of order, even if I'm scared of confrontation sometimes. Two, challenge racist stereotypes and language at my sons U13 league, which happens regularly, far more than I expected, especially this season.

Fair do’s. I’ll admit that I wouldn’t confront someone at ER.

Surprised at what happened at your kids football. Ill assume it’s the parents shouting the abuse?

The good news is that the racists are dying off. Kids nowadays are far more tolerant than their elders.

Ricky Bobby
15-10-2019, 05:19 PM
The head of the Bulgarian FA rightly forced to step down. The same should apply to the head of the SFA for their shameful negligence in dealing with Sectarianism in this country.

Scouse Hibee
15-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Was last night a watershed moment in football authorities finally taking action that will actually affect the game on the pitch?

Like many others my age (52) I have witnessed racism throughout my life at football matches, Monkey chants and real bananas thrown when John Barnes signed, inflatable bananas in a large section of Everton fans at the Mersey Derby, Various monkey imitations at most English grounds and traditional familiar chant of you black ******* aimed at opposition black players even when the ones chanting it had black players in their own team. Yes there will always be some mindless ****** idiots even today who think they can carry on like those bad days in the eighties that I recall so vividly but surely last night we finally saw a statement of intent to rid it completely or did we.

Will a high profile game in any top league ever be halted because of similar abuse from the terraces, I certainly hope so but very much doubt it.

McD
15-10-2019, 06:12 PM
No I don’t think that. Your right, the blame does lie with the racists.
I don’t agree with giving them any air time whatsoever. Maybe more should have been done to stop their entry to the stadium.

Do Sky broadcast in Bulgaria?

did the racists come over here in the week leading up to the match to see if they were being discussed?

equally, giving airtime to a serious issue in a way that shows it in a negative light can only have good outcomes surely? Children seeing that it’s wrong, people who are guilty of more casual forms of racism maybe feeling a bit ashamed and resolving to change their ways?

hibsbollah
15-10-2019, 06:27 PM
The Bulgaria goalkeeper Plamen Iliev said the home fans had “behaved well” and that Gareth Southgate’s players “overreacted a bit”. He said: “If I am honest, I believe they [the fans] behaved well today. There wasn’t any abuse [as far as I could hear] and I think they [the England players] overreacted a bit. The public was on a good level – I didn’t hear any bad language used towards their or our players.”

Scouse Hibee
15-10-2019, 06:36 PM
The Bulgaria goalkeeper Plamen Iliev said the home fans had “behaved well” and that Gareth Southgate’s players “overreacted a bit”. He said: “If I am honest, I believe they [the fans] behaved well today. There wasn’t any abuse [as far as I could hear] and I think they [the England players] overreacted a bit. The public was on a good level – I didn’t hear any bad language used towards their or our players.”

Yet his captain Popov spent the entire half time period, trying to defuse the situation with the fans.

jax67
15-10-2019, 07:08 PM
Do Sky broadcast in Bulgaria?

did the racists come over here in the week leading up to the match to see if they were being discussed?

equally, giving airtime to a serious issue in a way that shows it in a negative light can only have good outcomes surely? Children seeing that it’s wrong, people who are guilty of more casual forms of racism maybe feeling a bit ashamed and resolving to change their ways?

Yes Sky do broadcast in Bulgaria.

I don’t think they had to, Bulgaria have Sky.

Good point.

McD
15-10-2019, 08:02 PM
Yes Sky do broadcast in Bulgaria.

I don’t think they had to, Bulgaria have Sky.

Good point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_(company)#Current_operations

https://www.skygroup.sky/

according to these, Sky don’t operate in Bulgaria. Whether one can view Sky in Bulgaria by other means is up for debate, but they don’t actively broadcast there, so your argument that somehow Sky are responsible for these people and their actions seems pretty baseless, particularly given that you appear to be agreeing that giving airtime to these actions in the way that has been done is a good thing.

either way, I think we’re definitely agreeing that the actions taken in the stadium (and in many other places too) are abhorrent.

heretoday
15-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Listening to the commentary I assumed that the England fans were implicated in the racism thing since they were aggressively chanting the national anthem throughout the match.
Turns out they were pure as the driven snow.

One Day Soon
15-10-2019, 08:18 PM
Listening to the commentary I assumed that the England fans were implicated in the racism thing since they were aggressively chanting the national anthem throughout the match.

?!?

Hibbyradge
15-10-2019, 08:30 PM

Is singing Flower of Scotland racist?

Scouse Hibee
15-10-2019, 08:33 PM

Care to explain?

CockneyRebel
15-10-2019, 08:49 PM

oooooh ..... the bounders.

EI255
15-10-2019, 09:02 PM
Some interesting pre match songs in Sofia all about the second war and Ireland.

Aw, poor little English fans!

Gotta remember THERE ARE ALWAYS PEOPLE FILMING YA!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
15-10-2019, 09:03 PM

Nice of you to side with the Nazis.

Poor little fascists.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-10-2019, 09:07 PM
This is a FU thread 😲

Particularly on page 3.

Sir David Gray
15-10-2019, 09:07 PM
What happened last night was totally wrong but does it really merit being the top news story tonight on BBC news?

Hibernia&Alba
15-10-2019, 09:08 PM
This is a FU thread 😲

Particularly on page 3.

Yup, shambles. Sad to see even a thread like this can descend into bickering.

hibsbollah
15-10-2019, 09:10 PM
What happened last night was totally wrong but does it really merit being the top news story tonight on BBC news?

Agree with that. Awful reporting, very little context, and then a constitutional crisis in the form of Brexit is the second item???!!

lyonhibs
15-10-2019, 09:18 PM

"Aggressively chanting"?? "Goading" the otherwise placid and tolerant Bulgaria fans perhaps?

Jimto Traynorkov is that you?

Bishop Hibee
15-10-2019, 09:19 PM
No time for 'whitabootery'. Bulgaria should play their next 3 games behind closed doors with a threat of expulsion from tournaments if racist chanting and Nazi salutes continue in following games with fans.

I hope the England supporters anti-rascist chants mean they will self-police themselves better though.

Jones28
15-10-2019, 09:30 PM

They weren’t making monkey noises at the England fans.

There is a staggering amount of whatabouttery on this thread.

Maybe some people can’t separate their biases from a game of football. Pretty pathetic stuff.

Scouse Hibee
15-10-2019, 09:47 PM

Spectacularly misses the point.

Hibbyradge
15-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Agree with that. Awful reporting, very little context, and then a constitutional crisis in the form of Brexit is the second item???!!

I'm glad it's headline news because racism is a hugely important issue, particularly now with the steady rise of the alt-right.

Usually reports like these are almost afterthoughts in the media so it's good to see it given such prominence.

Brexit is massive, of course, but there's really nothing new to say about it yet.

Sir David Gray
15-10-2019, 10:15 PM
I'm glad it's headline news because racism is a hugely important issue, particularly now with the steady rise of the alt-right.

Usually reports like these are almost afterthoughts in the media so it's good to see it given such prominence.

Brexit is massive, of course, but there's really nothing new to say about it yet.

I don't think it's headline news material for the BBC 10 o'clock news to be honest.

There was controversy the other week relating to a racist song that a group of Aston Villa fans were singing about one of their own players. Why was that not headline news?

Would it have been reported on as much had the target of the abuse been Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland players?

We have sectarian abuse taking place in stadiums in Scotland every single week, why is that not headline news on the BBC?

It's an incident that I expect to feature heavily in the sports news headlines and in the papers. By all means mention it in the news but having a 10 minute feature on it was over the top.

Hibbyradge
15-10-2019, 10:24 PM
I don't think it's headline news material for the BBC 10 o'clock news to be honest.

There was controversy the other week relating to a racist song that a group of Aston Villa fans were singing about one of their own players. Why was that not headline news?

Would it have been reported on as much had the target of the abuse been Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland players?

We have sectarian abuse taking place in stadiums in Scotland every single week, why is that not headline news on the BBC?

It's an incident that I expect to feature heavily in the sports news headlines and in the papers. By all means mention it in the news but having a 10 minute feature on it was over the top.

Para 1 - As I said, I'm glad it's getting this exposure.

Para 2 - I don't know. Presumably because it involved a single club, not the national team, so fewer people would be interested.

Para 3 - I don't know. I would expect it would.

Para 4 - I wish it was.

Para 5 - You're entitled to your opinion. I expressed mine in my previous post.

Tha Cabbage Kid
16-10-2019, 05:20 AM
Isn't it funny that the ones making monkey noises seem to be the ones least evolved? Which leads me to the conclusion that these people make these noises do it involuntarily when they get excited! [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23]
Did anyone check to see if these so called Nazis had aposable thumbs?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Cataplana
16-10-2019, 08:56 AM
Apparently some had entered the stadium disguised as stewards.

Is it not more likely that the stewards were joining in?

Keith_M
16-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Lazio are to have a part of their stadium closed for their fans making fascist salutes at a game against Rennes.

This seems to be a recurring problem at Italian Stadia and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of lessening.

mjhibby
16-10-2019, 09:59 AM
Para 1 - As I said, I'm glad it's getting this exposure.

Para 2 - I don't know. Presumably because it involved a single club, not the national team, so fewer people would be interested.

Para 3 - I don't know. I would expect it would.

Para 4 - I wish it was.

Para 5 - You're entitled to your opinion. I expressed mine in my previous post.

Totally agree on 1 to 4 but how to deal with it is the conundrum. It seems like,with sectarianism here there seems to be a shrug of the shoulders and an acceptance that we can't stop it. I agree it shouldn't be a ten minute slot because it happened at an England game but a concentrated effort by everbody to eradicate sectarianism, homophobia and racism from the game. How we do that when it seems actually to be getting worse I've no idea. It will take years of education but I'm afraid it seems it will be always be there as long as morons exist.

WhileTheChief..
16-10-2019, 02:23 PM
You would physically assault someone for using racist language?

What if it was an elderly female or a kid shouting the abuse?

Two wrongs making a right?

My guess is you wouldn’t. It’s just a throw away line you’re using on here right?

If you’ve got to use violence you’re really not much better than the cretins you seem to be against.

surreyhibbie
16-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Isn't it funny that the ones making monkey noises seem to be the ones least evolved? Which leads me to the conclusion that these people make these noises do it involuntarily when they get excited! [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23]
Did anyone check to see if these so called Nazis had aposable thumbs?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

I find it incredible that these tossers actually think they are superior to... well, anyone...

Jim44
16-10-2019, 03:01 PM

I hear where you are coming from but the abuse in this instance was particularly ‘in you face’ and aggressive.

hibsbollah
16-10-2019, 05:16 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/16/bulgaria-england-black-white-raheem-sterling-sofia

heid the baw
16-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Utterly despicable behaviour, but the irony of southern European Slavs giving Nazi salutes is obviously lost on them.

If only history was that simple. Hitler conveniently did not categorise the Bulgarians as Slavic. He was more interested in clearing the Eastern Slavs from lands which he wanted for German expansion. The Bulgarians fought with the Nazis and gained territory from neighbours including Greece.
Neo-nazis in Bulgaria have no problem with the salute and for them there is no irony.

JimBHibees
16-10-2019, 05:34 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/16/bulgaria-england-black-white-raheem-sterling-sofia

That is a fantastic article.

Iggy Pope
16-10-2019, 05:46 PM

Thank you for posting this as I hadn’t seen it. Incisive and well written.
No Surrender and **** The Pope sung with gusto down in Englandshire no less!
Who would have thought this of these wee souls with their racist monarchy, racist government and their inherently racist majority of an under educated, lazy population that drags the country to the dogs and demands Brexit on the basis that immigrants are plainly ****.
Let them sing what they like. Bedfellows of those Bulgarian boneheads really. It’s only a matter of time.

And maybe Hibs can’t play a friendly in England in case of bother? I write from Huddersfield right now. Middle England. What a hole, where 1 in 10 people appear to be sane.

Jack Hackett
16-10-2019, 05:56 PM
That is a fantastic article.

:agree:

Thank you for posting this as I hadn’t seen it. Incisive and well written.
No Surrender and **** The Pope sung with gusto down in Englandshire no less!
Who would have thought this of these wee souls with their racist monarchy, racist government and their inherently racist majority of an under educated, lazy population that drags the country to the dogs and demands Brexit on the basis that immigrants are plainly ****.
Let them sing what they like. Bedfellows of those Bulgarian boneheads really. It’s only a matter of time.

And maybe Hibs can’t play a friendly in England in case of bother? I write from Huddersfield right now. Middle England. What a hole, where 1 in 10 people appear to be sane.

Careful now. It's considered racist by some on here to dislike the english