PDA

View Full Version : Sergio Ramos

Billy Whizz
13-10-2019, 02:51 PM
Reading that he made his 168th appearance for Spain last night. He’s only 33, so wondering if can make the magic number of 200 appearances
Would be unbelievable in this day and age

wallpaperman
13-10-2019, 03:26 PM
He is a dirty dog, but I kind of love him.

Must have been amazingly injury free throughout his career and not dodged too many internationals like some of our ‘superstars’ do.

Here’s Lucy!
13-10-2019, 03:30 PM
He’s dirty and he’s a cheat but God, I really like him.

The Modfather
13-10-2019, 03:35 PM

Must have been amazingly injury free throughout his career and not dodged too many internationals like some of our ‘superstars’ do.

He’ll be able to play well into his 50s given he probably has more red cards and suspensions than appearances 😀

calumhibee1
13-10-2019, 03:38 PM

Likewise. Wonderful player.

Billy Whizz
13-10-2019, 03:42 PM

Would love a Ramos type in our team, who’s the nearest we’ve had to him in the last 15/20 years

MWHIBBIES
13-10-2019, 03:42 PM
Starting to show signs of aging at club level, his poor positional sense and rashness is very evident when his amazing phyiscal attitubes let him down.

Cant deny his achievements, a wonderful career. I just find it hard to have him in the top bracket because, in my opinion, no top defender gets 25 red cards. That is a shocking number.

CloudSquall
13-10-2019, 03:45 PM
Type of player you severely dislike in the opposition's team but would love to have in your own team.

Perd Hapley
13-10-2019, 04:03 PM
The most carded man in any of the top European leagues and in the history of La Liga, the Champions's League, and the Spanish national team.

The fact that he still comes across as likeable is a testament to Andalusian charm.

Smartie
13-10-2019, 04:07 PM
Would love a Ramos type in our team, who’s the nearest we’ve had to him in the last 15/20 years

Darren McGregor?

That number he did on the Asteras player at ER was vintage Ramos.

southsider
13-10-2019, 04:12 PM
The most carded man in any of the top European leagues and in the history of La Liga, the Champions's League, and the Spanish national team.

The fact that he still comes across as likeable is a testament to Andalusian charm.
Any idea where ? I have a house in a port there ?

DetroitHibs
13-10-2019, 04:25 PM

Willie Miller used to love leaving one on the opposition.

Future17
13-10-2019, 04:44 PM
Reading that he made his 168th appearance for Spain last night. He’s only 33, so wondering if can make the magic number of 200 appearances
Would be unbelievable in this day and age

I think Ramos will be away to China in the summer and that will be the end of his Spain career.

brianmc
13-10-2019, 04:48 PM
As much as I dislike Ramos I wonder how many other central defenders (if any) have scored over 100 goals 😯

hibee-boys
13-10-2019, 04:50 PM
Defender with over 100 goals for club/country, incredible given the level he's played at. Any other defenders with a better career goal scoring record. Maybe we should sign him and play him up front😂

frazeHFC
13-10-2019, 04:51 PM
Really dislike Ramos but the type of player you'd love to play for you. Demands to play in every International match he can, makes a change from players pulling out the Scotland squad all the time.

The 90+2
13-10-2019, 04:51 PM
As much as I dislike Ramos I wonder how many other central defenders (if any) have scored over 100 goals 😯

One that takes penalties for club and country?

Can’t stand Ramos.

The Modfather
13-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Defender with over 100 goals for club/country, incredible given the level he's played at. Any other defenders with a better career goal scoring record. Maybe we should sign him and play him up front😂

He’s still 30 goals short of Graham Alexander!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talksport.com/football/473669/top-11-highest-scoring-defenders-real-madrid-manchester-united-barcelona-legends/amp/

brianmc
13-10-2019, 05:01 PM
One that takes penalties for club and country?

Can’t stand Ramos.

And his name is......?

Since90+2
13-10-2019, 05:12 PM
Starting to show signs of aging at club level, his poor positional sense and rashness is very evident when his amazing phyiscal attitubes let him down.

Cant deny his achievements, a wonderful career. I just find it hard to have him in the top bracket because, in my opinion, no top defender gets 25 red cards. That is a shocking number.

He's won 4 Champions Leagues , 1 World Cup , 2 European Championships and countless La Liga and Copa Del Rey's and scored over 100 goals. I'd imagine you'll struggle to find any centre half who has ever matched that.

If he had poor positional sense , arguably the biggest requirement of a centre half , he wouldn't be one of the most decorated defenders of all time.

MWHIBBIES
13-10-2019, 05:26 PM
He's won 4 Champions Leagues , 1 World Cup , 2 European Championships and countless La Liga and Copa Del Rey's and scored over 100 goals. I'd imagine you'll struggle to find any centre half who has ever matched that.

If he had poor positional sense , arguably the biggest requirement of a centre half , he wouldn't be one of the most decorated defenders of all time.

Far too easy to just look at his trophy count. He has unbelievable physical attributes, a brilliant determination to win and very good technical ability. He isn't the soundest at pure defending.

Hes only won 4 La Liga, actually not that impressive considering he's been at Real for so long. Barcelona have dominated the league and cup for years.

Since90+2
13-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Far too easy to just look at his trophy count. He has unbelievable physical attributes, a brilliant determination to win and very good technical ability. He isn't the soundest at pure defending.

Hes only won 4 La Liga, actually not that impressive considering he's been at Real for so long. Barcelona have dominated the league and cup for years.

I don't think you understand how important positional sense is to a centre half. Centre halfs with poor positional sense don't go on to become the most decorated defender of all time.

MWHIBBIES
13-10-2019, 06:00 PM
I don't think you understand how important positional sense is to a centre half. Centre halfs with poor positional sense don't go on to become the most decorated defender of all time.

I understand very well how important it is. Other fantastic attributes, especially physically, can make up for it. Ramos has pretty average positional sense, hence why he is often booked and sent off.

Since452
13-10-2019, 06:11 PM
One of the all time greats. Gets a lot of stick for being dirty but you'd have him in your team all day long.

BILLYHIBS
13-10-2019, 06:12 PM

Matty Jack

https://youtu.be/BgBQlenWbBk

One Day Soon
13-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Loathesome knob and I wouldn't let him anywhere near my team.

CockneyRebel
13-10-2019, 07:37 PM
Matty Jack

https://youtu.be/BgBQlenWbBk

Just watched that clip - how did United not get at least 4 yellow cards (and 1 red) for screaming in the ref's face after he gave us the penalty?

Joe6-2
13-10-2019, 07:38 PM

This!!!

supermcginn
13-10-2019, 07:42 PM

I think you need to look up pique's honours list.

BILLYHIBS
13-10-2019, 07:47 PM
Just watched that clip - how did United not get at least 4 yellow cards (and 1 red) for screaming in the ref's face after he gave us the penalty?

Matty Jack was so like Ramos in that clip wound everyone up even got tripped for the pen and was nowhere to be seen at the end when it all kicked off

Loved seeing Alex Smith celebrating a point only to see his face change

How good was Latapy in that short clip?

jacomo
13-10-2019, 07:56 PM

First part agreed.

Second part... if Ramos pushed for a loan move to the Leith San Siro in January, I wouldn’t say no.

Perd Hapley
13-10-2019, 08:37 PM
Any idea where ? I have a house in a port there ?

Played for Sevilla originally, no idea beyond that lol

Since90+2
13-10-2019, 09:10 PM
I think you need to look up pique's honours list.

1 fewer Champions League and European Championships than Ramos. Sure , he's won more domestic honours but those two trump La Liga and Copa Del Rey everyday of the week.

Iggy Pope
13-10-2019, 09:21 PM
Matty Jack was so like Ramos in that clip wound everyone up even got tripped for the pen and was nowhere to be seen at the end when it all kicked off

Loved seeing Alex Smith celebrating a point only to see his face change

How good was Latapy in that short clip?

How much of a knob was Alan Combe? Didn’t he get a ban for gobbing at the linesman or something?

And the big fellah Lauchlan had feigned injury throughout the game so there was a lot of justice about it all.

Onceinawhile
13-10-2019, 09:23 PM
1 fewer Champions League and European Championships than Ramos. Sure , he's won more domestic honours but those two trump La Liga and Copa Del Rey everyday of the week.

Aye, but pique married Shakira as well, so... He's ahead.

BILLYHIBS
13-10-2019, 09:25 PM
How much of a knob was Alan Combe? Didn’t he get a ban for gobbing at the linesman or something?

And the big fellah Lauchlan had feigned injury throughout the game so there was a lot of justice about it all.

Big Hibby tae currently our Goalkeeping Coach not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing?

Bobby Combe was his uncle ....I think?

supermcginn
13-10-2019, 09:30 PM

5 more league titles, 4 more cups, and the same amount of champions leagues. Red card Ramos couldnt lace his boots. Ramos also holds the all time record for losses in el clasico.

Just_Jimmy
13-10-2019, 09:33 PM
This!!!You'd both be pissing your pants with delight if he was ever linked with Hibs.

Easy to say no considering it would never happen.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

IberianHibernian
13-10-2019, 10:04 PM
Am really surprised by how strong some of the anti Ramos comments are here though he was booed by the Norwegian crowd the other night too . I always want Real Madrid to lose whether in league or CL but still reckon he`s a great player who I`ve admired since he was a teenager with Sevilla the club he and his family supported / support . I remember being in the Spain end in Hannover at the 2006 WC when France beat Spain 3 v 1 in last 16 after Spain had won all 3 group matches and fans were thinking Spain could go all the way . Was a huge disappointment for Spain but Ramos who must have been one of the youngest players in squad was the only player in squad who came and acknowledged fans . Every time Sevilla play RM he takes stick from part of Sevilla fans who will never forgive him leaving Sevilla for RM ( imagine if Pat Stanton had joined Celtic at age 20 ) and in Madrid he`s not Madrileño but a very proud Andaluz and Sevillano as well as being very proud to represent Spain . Above all he`s a great footballer . And a great professional .

One Day Soon
13-10-2019, 10:51 PM
You'd both be pissing your pants with delight if he was ever linked with Hibs.

Easy to say no considering it would never happen.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I'd be revolted if he was linked with Hibs.

Baader
13-10-2019, 11:11 PM
Fabulous footballer

FilipinoHibs
14-10-2019, 02:12 AM

Such time wasters and divers in that game. Well done Matty.

Since90+2
14-10-2019, 05:29 AM
5 more league titles, 4 more cups, and the same amount of champions leagues. Red card Ramos couldnt lace his boots. Ramos also holds the all time record for losses in el clasico.

Pique has not won the same Champions Leagues as Ramos.

Pique has won 3 Champions Leagues and Ramos has won 4. Ramos has also won 2 European Championships and Pique has only won 1.

Ramos has been instrumental in all 4 of Madrid's wins including scoring goals in the finals whilst also winning MOTM at the same time.

Not bad for a player with poor positional sense.

overdrive
14-10-2019, 07:02 AM
He’s my favourite non-Hibs player. Even his cheating is an art.

Barman Stanton
14-10-2019, 07:10 AM
Laughing at some posters not actually rating Ramos. Just shows you how little some on here actually know about football. Guy has won it all, and kept his place in some of the best club and national teams in the world. Yet he has bad positional sense :faf:

Smartie
14-10-2019, 10:56 AM
I love a centre half who properly attacks the ball in the opposition box at a corner. He's always a huge threat because his physical presence plus his aggression makes him such a handful. Scoring 100+ goals from CH papers over the odd imperfection defensively.

Porteous has the "attack the ball" thing as well btw. I love seeing him go up for a corner and I confidently predict he'll score and assist bucket loads in his career.

Here’s Lucy!
14-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Laughing at some posters not actually rating Ramos. Just shows you how little some on here actually know about football. Guy has won it all, and kept his place in some of the best club and national teams in the world. Yet he has bad positional sense :faf:

Couldn't agree with you more. He is the complete centre-back and also chips in with a very respectable amount of goals. Folk saying they wouldn’t take him at Hibs are living in a very odd wee world.

If we had a better goalie, Ramos in defence and SJM back, we would be hard to beat imo.

Barman Stanton
14-10-2019, 12:26 PM
Couldn't agree with you more. He is the complete centre-back and also chips in with a very respectable amount of goals. Folk saying they wouldn’t take him at Hibs are living in a very odd wee world.

If we had a better goalie, Ramos in defence and SJM back, we would be hard to beat imo.

Wouldn't take Ramos at Hibs!? He would be up there with the greatest to ever play for us (I,m thinking only George Best could possibly beat that). Hibs must have some of the most critical fans in world football.

Here’s Lucy!
14-10-2019, 12:33 PM
Wouldn't take Ramos at Hibs!? He would be up there with the greatest to ever play for us (I,m thinking only George Best could possibly beat that). Hibs must have some of the most critical fans in world football.

Bang on. :aok:

And remember, Best was more or less just a washed up drunk when we got him. Sergio is still (more or less) at his peak.

Next thing, some folk will be turning their noses up at Lionel, Cristiano and Kylian.

Nowt as funny (or fickle) as folk eh?

Future17
14-10-2019, 01:44 PM
I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting Ramos wouldn't get a game for Hibs based on his ability; it's more the fact that certain Hibs fans would prefer to like our own players, or at least not despise them. The question is whether those that dislike Ramos would dislike him if he played for Hibs.

Here’s Lucy!
14-10-2019, 02:08 PM
The question is whether those that dislike Ramos would dislike him if he played for Hibs.

And the answer is, of course they wouldn’t. He would become an instant hero.

Barman Stanton
14-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Im still getting my head around Ramos supposedly lacking positional sense :faf::faf:

Iggy Pope
14-10-2019, 02:45 PM
Big Hibby tae currently our Goalkeeping Coach not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing?

Bobby Combe was his uncle ....I think?

Certainly a relative. The great man signed my 100 yrs of Hibs from behind his grocery counter in the Walk in the 70s. And Lawrie did likewise for me in the Bowlers Rest.
Missed Gordon Smith and Willie Ormond when I could’ve covered Northfield and Musselburgh on a 44.

BILLYHIBS
14-10-2019, 02:52 PM
Im still getting my head around Ramos supposedly lacking positional sense :faf::faf:
Just watched 2018 CL Final put in a lot of timely blocks and tackles versus Liverpool

Locked arms with Salah making sure he fell awkwardly dislocating his shoulder and could take no further part in the proceedings

Liverpool’s case not helped by a couple of unfortunate goalkeeping errors

Barman Stanton
14-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Just watched 2018 CL Final put in a lot of timely blocks and tackles versus Liverpool

Locked arms with Salah making sure he fell awkwardly dislocating his shoulder and could take no further part in the proceedings

Oh he can be a sneaky sod for sure. Its not uncommon among the top players.

One thing is for sure though, you are not getting 168 caps for Spain and winning the World Cup, 2 Euro Championships and 4 Champions Leagues if you are lacking in positional sense.

Onceinawhile
14-10-2019, 03:00 PM

Was it not Ramos that gave Mignolet the concussion that lead to the goalkeeping errors as well?

BILLYHIBS
14-10-2019, 03:12 PM
Was it not Ramos that gave Mignolet the concussion that lead to the goalkeeping errors as well?

Yip!

Also tried his best to see off Karius as well

Dirty Boy!

https://youtu.be/chyx3g0KeoE

MWHIBBIES
14-10-2019, 03:15 PM

Try actually watching the guy. You know that because someone is a world class player not every aspect of their game is world class. I'm sure you only watch him in big champions league games and international tournaments. He is usually very good in big games.

Watch Barcelona beating Real 6-2. Ramos scores a brilliant header to get it back to 3-2. 30 seconds later he is absolutely miles out of position, Henry gets in, 4-2.

Barman Stanton
14-10-2019, 04:00 PM
Try actually watching the guy. You know that because someone is a world class player not every aspect of their game is world class. I'm sure you only watch him in big champions league games and international tournaments. He is usually very good in big games.

Watch Barcelona beating Real 6-2. Ramos scores a brilliant header to get it back to 3-2. 30 seconds later he is absolutely miles out of position, Henry gets in, 4-2.

Iv seen plenty of him over the years. I don’t just watch Champions League. But cheers for making that assumption. Of course he is going to make the odd mistake. So did Baresi and Maldini. No one is perfect. But the guy is one of the best CB’s in the world and will retire as one of the all time greats

MWHIBBIES
14-10-2019, 04:14 PM
Iv seen plenty of him over the years. I don’t just watch Champions League. But cheers for making that assumption. Of course he is going to make the odd mistake. So did Baresi and Maldini. No one is perfect. But the guy is one of the best CB’s in the world and will retire as one of the all time greats

25 red cards is more than the odd mistake. I doubt Maldini, Baresi, Cannavaro, Nesta, Costacurta and Chiellini have that between the lot of them.

A fantastic player, definitely one of the all time greats. A tier below all of those guys on pure defensive ability. Makes up for it in many other ways. Really don't see why that is so hard to fathom.

Barman Stanton
14-10-2019, 04:23 PM
25 red cards is more than the odd mistake. I doubt Maldini, Baresi, Cannavaro, Nesta, Costacurta and Chiellini have that between the lot of them.

A fantastic player, definitely one of the all time greats. A tier below all of those guys on pure defensive ability. Makes up for it in many other ways. Really don't see why that is so hard to fathom.

And I don’t see why people these days need to find fault in everything. I prefer to enjoy watching one of the best in his position without the need to get negative about him.

But yeah, regardless, I still don’t think your amassing the honours and appearances he has if you have bad positional sense.

Here’s Lucy!
14-10-2019, 04:53 PM
But yeah, regardless, I still don’t think your amassing the honours and appearances he has if you have bad positional sense.

I’ve been reading this wee exchange, and would like to add something.

I have redacted your post and left in the part that I think is relevant, bearing in mind that your whole point this afternoon has been about people claiming that Sergio Ramos has poor positional sense.

The discussion moved away away from this (red cards, yellow cards, fouls etc).

You have stuck to your guns on the topic in hand and, in the short sentence quoted above, have, in my opinion, proved your point.

Well played, sir. :aok:

greenflyer
14-10-2019, 05:48 PM
I saw Atletico on Portugese TV on holiday and was so impressed that when I got home I put £5 on them at 20/1 to win the Champions League.
I was in Ibiza in the May following with £100 in the bag until the big bam jumped up and equalised in the last minute.

This was the same week Hibs got relegated. I had no bet on that.

:fuming::fuming::grr:

Haymaker
15-10-2019, 01:10 AM
I saw Atletico on Portugese TV on holiday and was so impressed that when I got home I put £5 on them at 20/1 to win the Champions League.
I was in Ibiza in the May following with £100 in the bag until the big bam jumped up and equalised in the last minute.

This was the same week Hibs got relegated. I had no bet on that.

:fuming::fuming::grr:

I had 20 on that game at 35/1. Got that price after the first knockout stage.

To say I was raging was an understatement.

Still, he's top drawer.

Yorkshire HFC
15-10-2019, 05:36 AM

George Best was nowhere near the best player to play for Hibs. McNamara and McLeod in that team were 100% better for starters.

And Ramos is a fantastic player.

BILLYHIBS
15-10-2019, 07:05 AM
4 x La Liga
2 x Copa Del Rey
3 x Spanish Super League
4 x Champions League
4 x FIFA World Club Winner
1 v U19 UEFA Champions
1 x World Cup
2 x UEFA European Champions
10 x nominated for FIFA World 11
8 x nominated UEFA team of the year
2 x UEFA Defender of the year 2017 and 2018

690 professional appearances 90 goals

168 international caps 21 goals

Yet this fantastic footballer has no positional sense?

:faf:

Barman Stanton
15-10-2019, 07:19 AM
George Best was nowhere near the best player to play for Hibs. McNamara and McLeod in that team were 100% better for starters.

And Ramos is a fantastic player.

Clearly I'm not talking about his time actually at Hibs. I'm talking about their status in the world game.

MWHIBBIES
15-10-2019, 07:23 AM
4 x La Liga
2 x Copa Del Rey
3 x Spanish Super League
4 x Champions League
4 x FIFA Club World Club Winner
1 v U19 UEFA Champions
1 x World Cup
2 x UEFA European Champions
10 x nominated for FIFA World 11
8 x nominated UEFA team of the year
2 x UEFA Defender of the year 2017 and 2018

690 professional appearances 90 goals

168 international caps 21 goals

Yet this fantastic footballer has no positional sense?

:faf:
Who said he had no positional sense? You're just listing his trophies. Is he just perfect at everything because he's won alot of awards? Or does he have flaws like all players?

The backlash on here for not following the sheep is always funny.

BILLYHIBS
15-10-2019, 07:37 AM
Who said he had no positional sense? You're just listing his trophies. Is he just perfect at everything because he's won alot of awards? Or does he have flaws like all players?

Apologies my post was not directed at you in particular I always look forward to your posts

Anyway now you mention it “Starting to show signs of aging at club level, his poor positional sense and rashness is very evident when his amazing physical attributes let him down”

I take your point and I also accept your further point about his poor disciplinary record

Real Madrid and Spain would and should expect greater self control from one of their senior professionals

Apart from being a very good footballer with an unfortunate dark side he is a leader on the park and most importantly he is a winner

Now Saturdays game at Hamilton who is it to be Paul Hanlon or Sergio Ramos? :greengrin

easty
15-10-2019, 07:52 AM

He’s one of the best defenders of modern era football. Everyone has flaws, but Ramos has fewer than most.

Brilliant defender.

BILLYHIBS
15-10-2019, 07:59 AM
Clearly I'm not talking about his time actually at Hibs. I'm talking about their status in the world game.

When he was at HIBS Ally Macleod insisted George Best couldnae lace his boots 😁

He was probably right

CB_NO3
15-10-2019, 08:12 AM
Ramos is a cheat. A clever cheat ill give him that. Not in the same league as John Terry IMO. Ramos makes a lot of mistakes and gets away with murder as he plays for the Rangers of Spain. Also had something like 19 red cards which is poor.

The 90+2
15-10-2019, 09:19 AM
Ramos is a cheat. A clever cheat ill give him that. Not in the same league as John Terry IMO. Ramos makes a lot of mistakes and gets away with murder as he plays for the Rangers of Spain. Also had something like 19 red cards which is poor.

He doesn’t really get away with murder if he’s got 19 reds to his name, surely?

He’s not even in the same league as Terry in the ****er category either.

Hibeesmad
15-10-2019, 09:31 AM
Neymar, Suarez and Aguero all named Ramos as the toughest opponent they have faced. He has captained his club and country to the trophy of the biggest competitions of world football on a lot more than merit. He is a natural leader and a fantastic footballer, one of if not the best defenders throughout his career.

Barman Stanton
15-10-2019, 09:42 AM
Neymar, Suarez and Aguero all named Ramos as the toughest opponent they have faced. He has captained his club and country to the trophy of the biggest competitions of world football on a lot more than merit. He is a natural leader and a fantastic footballer, one of if not the best defenders throughout his career.

What would these guys know? Hibs.net is where the true football experts are.

Since90+2
15-10-2019, 10:12 AM

Surprised these world class forwards picked a defender with poor positional sense as their toughest opponent. Surely they'd have been able to expose that glaring deficiency in his game?

Yorkshire HFC
15-10-2019, 10:12 AM
When he was at HIBS Ally Macleod insisted George Best couldnae lace his boots 😁

He was probably right

In my eyes, Ally McLeod is nearly a Hibs great - just a pity he played in such poor teams. George Best isn't even close.

Yorkshire HFC
15-10-2019, 10:13 AM

Yep - Porteous is better.

The 90+2
15-10-2019, 10:24 AM

The overwhelming majority on here have acknowledged how fine a defender he is??

MWHIBBIES
15-10-2019, 10:35 AM

You know he can be their toughest opponent, a world class player, a fantastic winner, without having excellent pure defending skills. Fabio Cannavaro was an incredible central defender but he was very small. He made up for that with excellent reading of the game and positioning.

One aspect can counter another

WeeRussell
15-10-2019, 11:35 AM
He has amounted so many cards (yellow and red) because he's a f****g radge.

Him and Pepe are undoubtedly the dirtiest centre half pairing of my lifetime. Could never stand Pepe, and Ramos got to me a fair bit as well... but always had that bit respect for him. He's a Spanish hero.

Whatever my thoughts on Ramos' personality and conduct, he remains a top-class defender who has it all as a centre half.

Hibs?! I'd take someone half as good in a heartbeat.

Allant1981
15-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Surprised these world class forwards picked a defender with poor positional sense as their toughest opponent. Surely they'd have been able to expose that glaring deficiency in his game?

He does quite often get caught out of position and then has to foul as a result, he is a cracking defender and as many have pointed out he has won everything, doesnt mean he doesnt have flaws in his game though. Paul Scholes was one of the best midfielders I've ever seen but the tackling part of his game was terrible, doesnt mean he wasnt good at his job though

WeeRussell
15-10-2019, 11:43 AM
He does quite often get caught out of position and then has to foul as a result, he is a cracking defender and as many have pointed out he has won everything, doesnt mean he doesnt have flaws in his game though. Paul Scholes was one of the best midfielders I've ever seen but the tackling part of his game was terrible, doesnt mean he wasnt good at his job though

I get the point you're making, but tackling wasn't a central part of Scholes' remit.

BILLYHIBS
15-10-2019, 11:49 AM
In my eyes, Ally McLeod is nearly a Hibs great - just a pity he played in such poor teams. George Best isn't even close.
He was deceptive He was slower than he looked but bags of skill

I remember one game versus Dundee he scored direct from a free kick the Ref asked him to take it again so he slotted it into the opposite corner

HIBS class!

Allant1981
15-10-2019, 11:50 AM
I get the point you're making, but tackling wasn't a central part of Scholes' remit.

But tackling is still a part of the job, as I say, Ramos is a cracking defender but no point in pretending that his overall game was/is perfect

Since90+2
15-10-2019, 12:06 PM
But tackling is still a part of the job, as I say, Ramos is a cracking defender but no point in pretending that his overall game was/is perfect

Don't think anybody claimed he is the perfect defender but to say his positional sense is poor is just nonsense. Is it the best part of his game ? No. Does that mean it's automatically poor? No.

As had been stated you don't become arguably the most successful centre half to have ever played the game if you are poor at a central requirement of that position.

Allant1981
15-10-2019, 12:18 PM
Don't think anybody claimed he is the perfect defender but to say his positional sense is poor is just nonsense. Is it the best part of his game ? No. Does that mean it's automatically poor? No.

As had been stated you don't become arguably the most successful centre half to have ever played the game if you are poor at a central requirement of that position.

It's the poorest part of his game which is why he gets caught out often, happened against Norway the other night again on the halfway line, luckily for him he fouled the guy or they were left with only 1 CH to cover

easty
15-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Him and Pepe are undoubtedly the dirtiest centre half pairing of my lifetime.

Them or Walter Samuel and Marco Matterazzi at Inter :agree:

WeeRussell
15-10-2019, 01:19 PM

I forgot about Matterazzi who I'm sure "earned" his heidbutt from ZiZu.

But any pairing with Pepe in it struggles to be beat :greengrin

1 8 7 5
15-10-2019, 01:29 PM
Everytime I have seen him play he has deserved to be red carded. He's a cheat.

just my humble opinion.

Barman Stanton
15-10-2019, 01:32 PM

That award goes to Andoni Goikoetxea for me.

BILLYHIBS
15-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Claudio Gentile pour moi!

One Day Soon
15-10-2019, 01:37 PM
Everytime I have seen him play he has deserved to be red carded. He's a cheat.

just my humble opinion.

He's a great player but a thug and a cheat. Not what I'd like to see in a Hibs shirt and thankfully that's a wee bit unlikely to happen.

Barman Stanton
15-10-2019, 01:47 PM
He's a great player but a thug and a cheat. Not what I'd like to see in a Hibs shirt and thankfully that's a wee bit unlikely to happen.

I cant begin to understand the fact you wouldnt want a World Class player playing for Hibs. Each to their own though.

But Im curious, were you also disappointed to see the likes of McGregor, Geebsie, Yogi Hughes, Callum Milne etc when they went right through a player? We have had our fair share of dirty defenders through the years.

HoboHarry
15-10-2019, 01:51 PM
I cant begin to understand the fact you wouldnt want a World Class player playing for Hibs. Each to their own though.

But Im curious, were you also disappointed to see the likes of McGregor, Geebsie, Yogi Hughes, Callum Milne etc when they went right through a player? We have had our fair share of dirty defenders through the years.
George Stewart wisnae a feartie either :greengrin

Barman Stanton
15-10-2019, 01:57 PM
George Stewart wisnae a feartie either :greengrin

I would love a hard man in the team at the moment. Matty Jack another that springs to mind. Im sure Dun Utd fans would label him both a cheat and a thug :greengrin

southsider
15-10-2019, 01:58 PM
That award goes to Andoni Goikoetxea for me.
The butcher of Bilbao. Broke Maradona's leg. Kept the boots used in a glass case in his living room.

Barman Stanton
15-10-2019, 02:00 PM
The butcher of Bilbao. Broke Maradona's leg. Kept the boots used in a glass case in his living room.

The very one. Ramos is a pussy cat compared to these guys.

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2019, 02:04 PM
Is it just me, but do not all players make mistakes now and then, even the best ones?

For me Ramos has been at the top of the game for longer than most.

Great player, and one of Reals greatest, and they've had many.

HoboHarry
15-10-2019, 02:06 PM
I would love a hard man in the team at the moment. Matty Jack another that springs to mind. Im sure Dun Utd fans would label him both a cheat and a thug :greengrin
Loved seeing Matty Jack in a Hibs shirt. Jambo colleague of mine at that time gave him all kinds of abuse but would quietly admit he would have loved to see him in a Hearts shirt......

One Day Soon
15-10-2019, 02:08 PM

I once watched from the East terrace as the Hearts bench gave Neil Berry the clear and unmistakable signal to take out Paul Wright. Within minutes, perhaps even seconds, Berry had ended Wright's season with one of the worst premeditated assaults on a football field that I've ever seen.

I don't think I've ever seen a Hibs player in that class of cheating thuggery. Hard men yes, cheating thugs no. The difference between Berry and Ramos of course is that one is also capable of playing exceptional football. But they're both still despicable ****s I'd want nowhere near my club.

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2019, 02:12 PM
I once watched from the East terrace as the Hearts bench gave Neil Berry the clear and unmistakable signal to take out Paul Wright. Within minutes, perhaps even seconds, Berry had ended Wright's season with one of the worst premeditated assaults on a football field that I've ever seen.

I don't think I've ever seen a Hibs player in that class of cheating thuggery. Hard men yes, cheating thugs no. The difference between Berry and Ramos of course is that one is also capable of playing exceptional football. But they're both still despicable ****s I'd want nowhere near my club.

Very noble ODS, cant say i have the same morals as you.:greengrin

I just want a team that try and play nice football, but have that nasty streak in them, where they wont let anyone past, i remember John Blackley would halve anyone who tried, and he would do it by fair mean or not.

He could be every bit as ruthless as Ramos, and he's one of our best. :wink:

Barman Stanton
15-10-2019, 02:14 PM

I get what your saying. I just cant help it, when I see McGregor rush towards a maroon shirt I want him to take him out.

That was a shocker though, I remember it well.

Yorkshire HFC
15-10-2019, 02:44 PM

Flipping heck - don't look too closely into the characters of some of the people who have played for Hibs then! They're footballers, that's all - we shouldn't expect them to be shining lights.

BILLYHIBS
15-10-2019, 04:26 PM
Roy Barry was a thug in his day

HoboHarry
15-10-2019, 04:59 PM
Roy Barry was a thug in his day
Aye but he was oor thug :greengrin