12-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Sky mate. Or you talking rugby?😂

Colr
12-10-2019, 11:32 AM
Sky mate. Or you talking rugby?😂

Footy.

BigKev
12-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Sky Sports Main Event and Football channels are showing it mate.

Ozyhibby
12-10-2019, 02:16 PM
How many expected at Hampden? £27 a ticket? Our SFA excelling themselves as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
12-10-2019, 03:05 PM
How many expected at Hampden? £27 a ticket? Our SFA excelling themselves as usual.

Would have been as well having it at the Falkirk stadium.

Here’s Lucy!
12-10-2019, 03:23 PM
Who cares?

Scotland are losing.

Onceinawhile
12-10-2019, 03:39 PM
Who cares?

Scotland are losing.

Against San Marino?

Here’s Lucy!
12-10-2019, 03:40 PM
Against San Marino?

Scotland are most adept at losing to anyone.

CloudSquall
12-10-2019, 03:42 PM
I didn't even know there was a game on, years ago I'd have been counting down the days/weeks.

The 90+2
12-10-2019, 03:49 PM

I don’t think they can change the pricing half way through the groups.

Colr
12-10-2019, 03:50 PM

Expensive!! £27 per goal!!

we are hibs
12-10-2019, 03:51 PM
Is it today? Time at

The 90+2
12-10-2019, 03:55 PM
Is it today? Time at

Tomorrow evening.

Onceinawhile
12-10-2019, 05:53 PM
Tomorrow evening.

At 5.

DarlingtonHibee
12-10-2019, 06:00 PM
Who cares?

Scotland are losing.

Given up on that mob.

G B Young
12-10-2019, 06:05 PM

Less than 10k sold (and that's including season ticket packages), so according to Radio Scotland it will be a record low attendance for a qualifier. They're hoping a last-minute splurge of free tickets to schools etc will boost numbers a bit.

Why on earth is this game being held at Hampden? Even if Scotland were doing moderately well it would be far better suited a smaller stadium. Based on current ticket sales McDiarmid Park would be ideal.

As for watching it on TV have folk really not got anything better to do at the weekend?

SMAXXA
12-10-2019, 06:24 PM
Less than 10k sold (and that's including season ticket packages), so according to Radio Scotland it will be a record low attendance for a qualifier. They're hoping a last-minute splurge of free tickets to schools etc will boost numbers a bit.

Why on earth is this game being held at Hampden? Even if Scotland were doing moderately well it would be far better suited a smaller stadium. Based on current ticket sales McDiarmid Park would be ideal.

As for watching it on TV have folk really not got anything better to do at the weekend?

Surely even the school bairns arnt daft enough 😂

Could have held it in my back garden and I would still have closed the blinds

Franck Stanton
12-10-2019, 07:04 PM
I hate international weekends. Scotland are crap. And I have to wait two weeks to see my beloved Hib s aaagggghhhh

Sir David Gray
12-10-2019, 10:24 PM
I hate international weekends. Scotland are crap. And I have to wait two weeks to see my beloved Hib s aaagggghhhh

I'll remind you of this post around 3:20pm next Saturday. :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-10-2019, 11:53 PM
Heading through to Glasgow later on this morning for a day out, hopefully the rugby is on before the days international fare kicks off, not heading to Hampden but, might make it to Shawlands! 🍺

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 01:34 AM
3 points for Scotland today.
It is the turn of our fellow duffers, Cyprus and Kazakhstan to be horsed by Russia and Belgium although they are both at home so they might fancy putting up a fight unlike ourselves. The Kazakhstan game against Belgium starts at 2pm if you want to check it out. The other 2 matches start at 5pm.

JimBHibees
13-10-2019, 07:00 AM
3 points for Scotland today.
It is the turn of our fellow duffers, Cyprus and Kazakhstan to be horsed by Russia and Belgium although they are both at home so they might fancy putting up a fight unlike ourselves. The Kazakhstan game against Belgium starts at 2pm if you want to check it out. The other 2 matches start at 5pm.

Personally wouldn't rule out Cyprus getting something from Russia at home.

Scorrie
13-10-2019, 07:10 AM

I agree...and then I remember Hibs are currently crap as well. Is there no break from crappy football at the moment 🙄

SMAXXA
13-10-2019, 07:11 AM
I agree...and then I remember Hibs are currently crap as well. Is there no break from crappy football at the moment 🙄

But least Hibs give us something to talk (moan) about 😉

Scorrie
13-10-2019, 08:38 AM
But least Hibs give us something to talk (moan) about 😉

Aye fair point. Where would we be without that!

Here’s Lucy!
13-10-2019, 11:49 AM

Agreed.

Better chance of that than Scotland beating San Marino, I reckon.

Sir David Gray
13-10-2019, 12:31 PM
Agreed.

Better chance of that than Scotland beating San Marino, I reckon.

Scotland are bad but there is no danger that San Marino will get anything tonight.

They have only avoided defeat five times in their entire history.

Here’s Lucy!
13-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Scotland are bad but there is no danger that San Marino will get anything tonight.

Maybe it’ll be six by this evening then! :wink:

DH1875
13-10-2019, 12:46 PM

Agree. If we fail to beat San Marino then we might as well chuck it. Would go as far to say that anyone playing in the team that lost to San Marino should never play for Scotland again. It's never gonna happen anyway.

Why is the game getting played at Hampden? Mental.

Sir David Gray
13-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Agree. If we fail to beat San Marino then we might as well chuck it. Would go as far to say that anyone playing in the team that lost to San Marino should never play for Scotland again. It's never gonna happen anyway.

Why is the game getting played at Hampden? Mental.

Agreed. If San Marino get anything tonight then the game's a bogey.

Jim44
13-10-2019, 01:08 PM
San Marino 80/1. Scotland 1/100. We should never be such short odds on against any team.

heretoday
13-10-2019, 01:12 PM
On Zitelli at all?

Naw. On the Rae-dio. :flag:

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 01:24 PM
1-0 to Belgium in Kazakhstan midway through the 1st half

Scotland 5th in the Group at the moment
We will finish 3rd
To do that we need to win today and get a win and a draw in the final 2 game in Cyprus and at home to Kazakhstan which is well within our compass.

For those that are still humpty about the Russia game. Get a map out and look at the size of Russia and then look at the size of Scotland.
Most folk would have predicted losses home and away to Belgium and away against Russia with a tough game in Glasgow. The only real issue is the scores in those defeats as well as the heavy defeat in Kazakhstan.

However, we will finish 3rd in the group and all but the most blinded amongst us would have predicted that position before a ball was kicked.
All is not lost and it all hangs on the play offs which again we knew before the groups kicked off.
In effect nothing has changed and Scotland have 5 months to get their **** together.

Tierney back fit for the November matches and hopefully no more Mulgrew.

pontius pilate
13-10-2019, 01:30 PM
When did Gilmore and Fletcher get called up to the squad? Charlie nicholas is calling for both of them along with shankland Christie and McGregor to start.

Hibby Kay-Yay
13-10-2019, 01:44 PM
1-0 to Belgium in Kazakhstan midway through the 1st half

Scotland 5th in the Group at the moment
We will finish 3rd
To do that we need to win today and get a win and a draw in the final 2 game in Cyprus and at home to Kazakhstan.

For those that are still humpty about the Russia game. Get a map out and look at the size of Russia and then look at the size of Scotland. Logic is your friend.

It’s not as simplistic as that. How many times have Russia, China and America won major tournaments? Looking at the size of Italy compared to Russia also dispels the ‘size of a country’ logic.

Ozyhibby
13-10-2019, 01:46 PM

In most other countries, a record low crowd would result in a lot of soul searching about how we can make the team better and people would be losing their jobs. With the SFA there will be no change whatsoever and Rod will be working out how he can cut costs to suit the new reality of sub 20k crowds.

JimBHibees
13-10-2019, 02:01 PM
In most other countries, a record low crowd would result in a lot of soul searching about how we can make the team better and people would be losing their jobs. With the SFA there will be no change whatsoever and Rod will be working out how he can cut costs to suit the new reality of sub 20k crowds.

The Sfa CEO should be hauled out for interview to explain what he is going to do about it and further explain the nonsense of playing San Marino at Hamden when live on tv. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot.

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 02:02 PM
It’s not as simplistic as that. How many times have Russia, China and America won major tournaments? Looking at the size of Italy compared to Russia also dispels the ‘size of a country’ logic.

China didn't play football until recent years so count them out.
In America mens football has only started to take real hold in recent years so count them out.

Russia in the European Championships:
1960 Won it
1964 Runners Up
1968 3rd place play off
1972 Runners Up
1988 Runners Up
2008 Semi Finals

Scotland - Zero ever

Italy has a population of 60 million and are football mad so easy to get 11 class players out of that.

Bottom line is Scotland are hamstrung by population size and the only countries to buck that handicap regularly have been Uruguay and Croatia. I think a population of 10 million is needed to get 11 good players on the park.

JimBHibees
13-10-2019, 02:04 PM
In America mens football has only started to take real hold in recent years so count them out.

1960 Won it
1964 Runners Up
1968 3rd place play off
1972 Runners Up
1988 Runners Up
2008 Semi Finals

Scotland - Zero ever

Italy has a population of 60 million and are football mad so easy to get 11 class players out of that.

Scotland are hamstrung by population size and the only countries to buck that handicap regularly have been Uruguay and Croatia

Never mind Uruguay and Croatia we can't even get anywhere near what a country very near to us with 1.5m population can do or nick their manager.

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 02:12 PM
2-0 Belgium.
Wonderful pass by Hazard
Game over with almost 40 minutes to play

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 02:18 PM
Never mind Uruguay and Croatia we can't even get anywhere near what a country very near to us with 1.5m population can do or nick their manager.

If you mean Northern Ireland.
They have 12 points at the moment but won't be adding to that total in their last 2 games.
Like Scotland they can't get points from the top 2 teams in their group.
They have performed better than Scotland in the group stages but the result will be the same, 3rd and failure to qualify through the groups stages.

B.H.F.C
13-10-2019, 02:20 PM
If you mean Northern Ireland.
They have 12 points at the moment but won't be adding to that total in their last 2 games.
Like Scotland they can't get points from the top 2 teams in their group

But unlike Scotland, they consistently beat the teams in and around them to at least give themselves a chance. And unlike Scotland, they at least compete in their games.

BigKev
13-10-2019, 02:32 PM
But unlike Scotland, they consistently beat the teams in and around them to at least give themselves a chance. And unlike Scotland, they at least compete in their games.

NI are the Hertz of international football. Hammer throwing hoofball relying solely on counter attacks. Horrific to watch but gets a result against lower-mid ranked teams.

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 02:33 PM

When did they last beat a country with a population of 11 million or more in a competitive match?
They beat the wee countries, same as Scotland.

Ozyhibby
13-10-2019, 02:42 PM
The Sfa CEO should be hauled out for interview to explain what he is going to do about it and further explain the nonsense of playing San Marino at Hamden when live on tv. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot.

They won’t though. The Media will concentrate on blaming Steve Clarke and the players. The won’t go after Petrie or Maxwell because their access will be cut.

HFC93
13-10-2019, 02:44 PM
When did they last beat a country with a population of 11 million or more in a competitive match?

11 million is oddly specific criteria. Why 11 million? They've taken a few decent scalps under Michael O'Neil

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 02:44 PM

Looked it up 3.5 years

B.H.F.C
13-10-2019, 02:49 PM

They only play against 11 folk at a time mind, no 11 million.

Scotland don’t beat the wee countries routinely any more, that’s my point. Northern Ireland do. They wouldn’t have been pumped 3-0 from Kazakhstan or anything ridiculous like that. Northern Ireland at least punch their weight.

Sir David Gray
13-10-2019, 02:51 PM

1960 Won it
1964 Runners Up
1968 3rd place play off
1972 Runners Up
1988 Runners Up
2008 Semi Finals

Scotland - Zero ever

Bottom line is Scotland are hamstrung by population size and the only countries to buck that handicap regularly have been Uruguay and Croatia. I think a population of 10 million is needed to get 11 good players on the park.

That's clearly nonsense.

Since Scotland last qualified for a major tournament 21 years ago, the following nations, all with a population of less than 10 million people, have all qualified for either the European Championships or World Cup on at least one occasion;

Hungary
Honduras
Austria
Switzerland
Togo
Paraguay
Bulgaria
Serbia
Denmark
Slovakia
Norway
Costa Rica
New Zealand
Ireland
Panama
Croatia
Uruguay
Bosnia
Albania
Slovenia
Wales
Northern Ireland
Latvia
Trinidad and Tobago
Iceland

Scotland's population size may mean that we'll never win the World Cup but not qualifying for over two decades is an absolute disgrace.

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 02:57 PM
11 million is oddly specific criteria. Why 11 million? They've taken a few decent scalps under Michael O'Neil

11.5 million is where the Belgium's of Europe come in.

Northern Ireland have more than punched their weight under O'Neill. They are well organised hammer throwers like Iceland.
Scotland have some decent players at the moment so have decided not to play eye bleeding football against the big teams and that has in turn resulted in the recent kickings because we don't have the same quality throughout the team (at the back and upfront). Double the Scottish population to 11 million and we would have quality throughout the team not in patches like we have.

ekhibee
13-10-2019, 03:02 PM

Certainly a valid question.

HFC93
13-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Northern Ireland have more than punched their weight under O'Neill. They are well organised hammer throwers like Iceland.
Scotland have some decent players at the moment so have decided not to play eye bleeding football against the big teams and that has in turn resulted in the recent kickings because we don't have the same quality throughout the team (at the back and upfront). Double the Scottish population to 11 million and we would have quality throughout the team not in patches like we have.

Or is it because 11 million fits your argument because it discounts wins against the Czech Republic, South Korea and Belarus who all have significantly bigger populations than N Ireland but not quite 11 million. It's an arbitrary figure.

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 03:06 PM
That's clearly nonsense.

Since Scotland last qualified for a major tournament 21 years ago, the following nations, all with a population of less than 10 million people, have all qualified for either the European Championships or World Cup on at least one occasion;

Hungary
Honduras
Austria
Switzerland
Togo
Paraguay
Bulgaria
Serbia
Denmark
Slovakia
Norway
Costa Rica
New Zealand
Ireland
Panama
Croatia
Uruguay
Bosnia
Albania
Slovenia
Wales
Northern Ireland
Latvia
Trinidad and Tobago
Iceland

Scotland's population size may mean that we'll never win the World Cup but not qualifying for over two decades is an absolute disgrace.

Take out the countries who have a bigger population than Scotland or who qualified for the World Cup from Oceania and you are left with a tiny part of your list.

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 03:09 PM
Or is it because 11 million fits your argument because it discounts wins against the Czech Republic, South Korea and Belarus who all have significantly bigger populations than N Ireland but not quite 11 million. It's an arbitrary figure.

a bit :wink:
P.S. South Korea has a massive population but it was a friendly

B.H.F.C
13-10-2019, 03:20 PM

If only it was that simple eh. If you doubled our population would the quality of coaching improve? Would the authorities make football more accessible to kids? Would the infrastructure change?

Painting it as us not ‘choosing’ to play the way teams like Norther Ireland (or Ireland for that matter) is ridiculous. We’re not capable of doing it.

Sir David Gray
13-10-2019, 03:22 PM
Take out the countries who have a bigger population than Scotland or who qualified for the World Cup from Oceania and you are left with a tiny part of your list.

That's not what you said.

You said a country needed a population of at least 10 million in order to get 11 good players on the park.

As I said already, it's nonsense.

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 03:27 PM

By my calculation, slightly less than half your list.

Uruguay, Costa Rica, Panama from South America (3) and from Europe (9):
Norway, Croatia, Bosnia, Albania, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Latvia, Iceland and Ireland.

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 03:34 PM
That's not what you said.

You said a country needed a population of at least 10 million in order to get 11 good players on the park.

As I said already, it's nonsense.

What I meant was to get a good team on the pitch consistently you need a population of 10 million.
Only Croatia and Uruguay defy that statement massively.

BoomtownHibees
13-10-2019, 03:47 PM
By my calculation, slightly less than half your list.

Uruguay, Costa Rica, Panama from South America (3) and from Europe (9):
Norway, Croatia, Bosnia, Albania, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Latvia, Iceland and Ireland.

Are you arguing with yourself?

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 03:53 PM
Are you arguing with yourself?

Trying to tempt SDG :wink:

Gotta watch the game now.
Slightly bigger crowd than the Hibs Ladies match.

Sir David Gray
13-10-2019, 03:56 PM
What I meant was to get a good team on the pitch consistently you need a population of 10 million.
Only Croatia and Uruguay defy that statement massively.

No-one's asking Scotland to consistently get a good team on the pitch, just once out of 21 years would be nice.

We managed to consistently qualify for tournaments 30-40 years ago and as far as I'm aware we didn't have a population of 40 million back then so what's changed?

Phil MaGlass
13-10-2019, 04:03 PM
could he no hit that right fitted ffs

The Modfather
13-10-2019, 04:11 PM
No-one's asking Scotland to consistently get a good team on the pitch, just once out of 21 years would be nice.

We managed to consistently qualify for tournaments 30-40 years ago and as far as I'm aware we didn't have a population of 40 million back then so what's changed?

The standard of coaching and youth development has dramatically improved across the board while, at best, ours has stayed still and hasn’t moved with the times. In short, we’ve been left behind by most nations and are in desperate need of modernisation and a root and branch clear out of the SFA. There’s nothing more evident of this than Petrie being the man appointed to change our fortunes of the last 20 or 30 years, it would be funny if it wasn’t so depressing.

California-Hibs
13-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Hat trick McGinn, nice and easy like this always was gonna be. I have 4-0 Scotland Forrest anytime, so next goal please and then I'll cash out because this will be more than 4

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 06:14 PM

The 2 biggest reasons
1. Yugoslavia, Czechoslavakia and Russia have broken up to create lots of new nations.
2. The best Scottish players always had the advantage of playing for the top teams in England along with the Welsh and Irish guys. Now the best players from all over the world are on an equal footing. They are no longer stuck in their own countries and are picked up when they are young to play for the best teams in Europe where they coached and developed to be top players and then go onto to play for their countries.

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 06:39 PM

They did get something, a big kick up the hoop :wink:

Scotland up to 4th and 1 point behind Cyprus who have Belgium as their last game after the Scotland match.
Win or draw required for Scotland in Cyprus. I have every confidence that Scotland 5 million population will deal with Cyprus 1 million population. It's how it works you know :)

Ozyhibby
13-10-2019, 07:00 PM
What was the attendance today?

JimBHibees
13-10-2019, 07:07 PM
They did get something, a big kick up the hoop :wink:

Scotland up to 4th and 1 point behind Cyprus who have Belgium as their last game after the Scotland match.
Win or draw required for Scotland in Cyprus. I have every confidence that Scotland 5 million population will deal with Cyprus 1 million population. It's how it works you know :)

Only because they had a boy sent off in 25 mins. :greengrin

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 07:12 PM
If only it was that simple eh. If you doubled our population would the quality of coaching improve? Would the authorities make football more accessible to kids? Would the infrastructure change?

Painting it as us not ‘choosing’ to play the way teams like Norther Ireland (or Ireland for that matter) is ridiculous. We’re not capable of doing it.

I honestly don't think the quality of coaching is an issue. As for accessibility of football to kids. All you need is a ball and some kids. It's all we had.

If our population was double what it is there would be roughly twice as many players to choose from and there would probably be quality right backs centre halves and strikers amongst them which would complete the current Scotland team.

I am watching the Wales game at the moment and they have the same problems as Scotland with a handful of quality starters and then a patchwork of players making up their team. It is difficult for small nations to have a good player for every position. Scotland presently appear to have produced a load of quality midfielders but no defenders or strikers.

CMurdoch
13-10-2019, 07:17 PM
Only because they had a boy sent off in 25 mins. :greengrin

I saw that :greengrin. It was already 2-0.
Hope he is their best player so he can't play against Scotland

basehibby
14-10-2019, 11:56 AM
The 2 biggest reasons
1. Yugoslavia, Czechoslavakia and Russia have broken up to create lots of new nations.
2. The best Scottish players always had the advantage of playing for the top teams in England along with the Welsh and Irish guys. Now the best players from all over the world are on an equal footing. They are no longer stuck in their own countries and are picked up when they are young to play for the best teams in Europe where they coached and developed to be top players and then go onto to play for their countries.

That still does not begin to explain why Scotland are so utterly gash.

Ireland, Wales and NI are all affected in exactly the same ways but have all managed to achieve some degree of success in terms of qualifying for tournaments. Scotland have gone backwards and the finger of suspicion is pointing at the whole coaching and development infrastructure. We are simply not producing enough international class players. We have, most would agree, a better football infrastructure than Ireland, Wales and NI but somehow conspire to use it to produce dross at international level - while Ireland, Wales and NI with their meagre resources consistently outperform us.

Ozyhibby
14-10-2019, 12:08 PM
That still does not begin to explain why Scotland are so utterly gash.

Ireland, Wales and NI are all affected in exactly the same ways but have all managed to achieve some degree of success in terms of qualifying for tournaments. Scotland have gone backwards and the finger of suspicion is pointing at the whole coaching and development infrastructure. We are simply not producing enough international class players. We have, most would agree, a better football infrastructure than Ireland, Wales and NI but somehow conspire to use it to produce dross at international level - while Ireland, Wales and NI with their meagre resources consistently outperform us.

That’s not true. We have far superior players than NI playing at a higher level. It’s only when they come into contact with the SFA that the under performance begins.

Gordy M
14-10-2019, 12:10 PM
That’s not true. We have far superior players than NI playing at a higher level. It’s only when they come into contact with the SFA that the under performance begins.

What is it the SFA do that is not being done in other countries. I see this written a lot, blame the SFA but ive had no one explain what that means? Im genuinely interested in what they do and how that affects the players?

Here’s Lucy!
14-10-2019, 12:11 PM

And that, is a perfect summary. :aok:

CMurdoch
14-10-2019, 04:54 PM
What is it the SFA do that is not being done in other countries. I see this written a lot, blame the SFA but ive had no one explain what that means? Im genuinely interested in what they do and how that affects the players?

Blaming the SFA is the usual lazy, angry knee-jerk reaction of Scottish football supporters and is usually presented without evidence.

Scotland's issue at the moment is that we have a dozen good quality midfielders, 2 world class left backs and a good quality goalkeeper BUT no good quality right backs, centre halfs or strikers.

WeeRussell
14-10-2019, 04:55 PM

I actually agree with this. I tend to agree with a lot of Ozy’s points on here and don’t doubt that much of his criticism of the SFA is well-founded and completely justified. It doesn’t however go far enough to explain the apparent underperformance of players, if that’s what we think is the main issue.

Ozyhibby
14-10-2019, 06:16 PM

The SFA have sole responsibility for the national team. If it fails then often it can be put down to bad luck or chance but when it fails consistently for more than 20 years then it is on them.
In this 20 years plus of failure has a single SFA board member ever been held accountable? When glaring, obvious, easy to avoid, should have seen it coming type errors like appointing Alex McLeish happen, has anyone at the SFA ever been held accountable?
And this is just the national team. What about all the other areas it is failing? In fact is there any part of the SFA that is currently succeeding? Refs? Investigation into the issue of old Rangers UEFA license? Financial fair Play? Grassroots Coach education? Dealing with child abuse claims? Anti-doping measures (zero tests last year)? Lord Nimmo Smith report? Fit and proper person test? Decision to buy Hampden?
When an organisation is failing in so many areas then the culture becomes failure. And there is zero accountability for any of this. The presidency past on to Petrie as if doing anything different would jeopardise all the success we have been having.
If I had to do one thing I would separate the national team from the SFA. Set up its own organisation that’s only responsibility is to win games. Bring some focus back.

Gordy M
14-10-2019, 06:22 PM
The SFA have sole responsibility for the national team. If it fails then often it can be put down to bad luck or chance but when it fails consistently for more than 20 years then it is on them.
In this 20 years plus of failure has a single SFA board member ever been held accountable? When glaring, obvious, easy to avoid, should have seen it coming type errors like appointing Alex McLeish happen, has anyone at the SFA ever been held accountable?
And this is just the national team. What about all the other areas it is failing? In fact is there any part of the SFA that is currently succeeding? Refs? Investigation into the issue of old Rangers UEFA license? Financial fair Play? Grassroots Coach education? Dealing with child abuse claims? Anti-doping measures (zero tests last year)? Lord Nimmo Smith report? Fit and proper person test? Decision to buy Hampden?
When an organisation is failing in so many areas then the culture becomes failure. And there is zero accountability for any of this. The presidency past on to Petrie as if doing anything different would jeopardise all the success we have been having.
If I had to do one thing I would separate the national team from the SFA. Set up its own organisation that’s only responsibility is to win games. Bring some focus back.

Thank you for replying, however, there is nothing there apart from the appointment of managers that directly affect the national team players that you alluded to in your post. Who would you have appointed instead of Clarke? As thats who is the national coach and who directly affects the players.

ancient hibee
14-10-2019, 06:34 PM

I don't see that much of this impacts on the performance of the national team and the failure to produce better players is surely the fault of the clubs.You mention coaching education and yet this is the one main success story of the SFA where many foreign coaches do their badges and get improved at SFA courses.

The Modfather
14-10-2019, 06:47 PM
I don't see that much of this impacts on the performance of the national team and the failure to produce better players is surely the fault of the clubs.You mention coaching education and yet this is the one main success story of the SFA where many foreign coaches do their badges and get improved at SFA courses.

We’re not the only country that has hit rock bottom. France, Germany & Holland all did the same over the last 20 years. What is it they did to transform their fortunes that the SFA haven’t? Be it winning tournaments and getting to finals, or for us simply qualifying. It’s all relative.

What have the SFA done the last 20 years to address the faults of the clubs you refer to? What have the SFA proposed that the clubs have rejected? What changes have the SFA made from the various reviews of the game and what quantifiable benefits have we seen?

ancient hibee
14-10-2019, 06:52 PM
You seem to think the SFA and the clubs are separate.They're not really.Although there are various associations who are members the driving forces and the office bearers are provided by the professional clubs.The days of an autocrat like George Graham or Ernie Walker dictating to the clubs are gone.Strangely any international success has gone with it.Why do you think that is?

The Modfather
14-10-2019, 07:01 PM
You seem to think the SFA and the clubs are separate.They're not really.Although there are various associations who are members the driving forces and the office bearers are provided by the professional clubs.The days of an autocrat like George Graham or Ernie Walker dictating to the clubs are gone.Strangely any international success has gone with it.Why do you think that is?

So folk are splitting hairs then when challenging those of us asking where the accountability is at the SFA? Any comments on my other questions?

ancient hibee
14-10-2019, 07:03 PM
No.

Ozyhibby
14-10-2019, 07:11 PM

You don’t think the culture of an organisation affects the performance of an organisation?
I mentioned the grassroots coach education which is massively over priced.
In Iceland every kids team from age 10 up has to be coached by a Uefa B licensed coach. We are not even close to providing anything like that level. The SFA treat coach education as a cash cow.

The 90+2
15-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Snodgrass retires from the international scene.

Billy Whizz
15-10-2019, 09:37 AM

Bizarre timing

Hiber-nation
15-10-2019, 10:34 AM

I'm amazed he can still get on the bench for West Ham, he struggles to actually run. Good news.

hibbysam
15-10-2019, 01:57 PM
You don’t think the culture of an organisation affects the performance of an organisation?
I mentioned the grassroots coach education which is massively over priced.
In Iceland every kids team from age 10 up has to be coached by a Uefa B licensed coach. We are not even close to providing anything like that level. The SFA treat coach education as a cash cow.

I think the point being made is you made a clear point that we have a lot of quality players, that ‘as soon as they get in contact with the SFA they underperform’ or something along those lines. Our grassroots coaching can’t be that bad if we are producing Robertson’s, McGinns, Tierneys etc, all playing at the highest level, so what does the SFA do, apart from appoint a manager who most wanted, that affects the players so much in that two week period?

For the record, someone said we have a top quality keeper, I don’t think Marshall is that great, in games against better nations McGregor is far too passive in the middle of the park, he’s nice and tidy but nowhere near the player that Celtic fans make you believe, when we play with 3 central midfielders then we need 3 workhorses, 3 McGinns would be grand. The reason for that is we have very attacking wingers, so our central midfielders end up covering the middle of the park plus helping out the full backs. I’d like to see us playing 3 at the back, so we have centre backs to go out and help the full backs, especially when Tierney is back. Regardless of inexperience, I’d like to see Porteous, Halkett, Souttar, McKenna as a backup, George Johnston id expect to step up soon also. Young defenders but ones that will learn and improve, it worked for our midfield and it’s about time we took the leap with the defence also.

JimBHibees
17-10-2019, 09:02 AM
I think the point being made is you made a clear point that we have a lot of quality players, that ‘as soon as they get in contact with the SFA they underperform’ or something along those lines. Our grassroots coaching can’t be that bad if we are producing Robertson’s, McGinns, Tierneys etc, all playing at the highest level, so what does the SFA do, apart from appoint a manager who most wanted, that affects the players so much in that two week period?

For the record, someone said we have a top quality keeper, I don’t think Marshall is that great, in games against better nations McGregor is far too passive in the middle of the park, he’s nice and tidy but nowhere near the player that Celtic fans make you believe, when we play with 3 central midfielders then we need 3 workhorses, 3 McGinns would be grand. The reason for that is we have very attacking wingers, so our central midfielders end up covering the middle of the park plus helping out the full backs. I’d like to see us playing 3 at the back, so we have centre backs to go out and help the full backs, especially when Tierney is back. Regardless of inexperience, I’d like to see Porteous, Halkett, Souttar, McKenna as a backup, George Johnston id expect to step up soon also. Young defenders but ones that will learn and improve, it worked for our midfield and it’s about time we took the leap with the defence also.

who is he?

CMurdoch
18-10-2019, 01:23 AM
who is he?

George Johnston is a 20 year old central defender who was signed by Feyenoord 2 months ago for £500k from Liverpool's U23 set up