PDA

View Full Version : Read it and Weep

brog
12-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Charlie Mulgrew now has more caps for Scotland than Pat Stanton, John Brownlie, John Blackley, Alex Cropley & Eddie Turnbull combined. How sad is that & what a reflection of our current team.

southsider
12-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Charlie who ? Jesus wept. Pat Stanton at 75 would have put in a better performance than that imposter did against Russia.

Nicho87
12-10-2019, 10:19 AM
How he still plays and first choice centre back is alarming. S Clarke has lost the plot not giving other players a chance and build for the future. Group was done, and Mulgrew gets 90 minutes. Bizarre.

Stantons Angel
12-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Charlie who ? Jesus wept. Pat Stanton at 75 would have put in a better performance than that imposter did against Russia.

And i quite agree with you there!

I thought it was just me that was thinking how awful this guy was in that Scotland jersey.

He was a good player but in the last few games in a blue jersey i thought he was lacking in pace, direction and his abililty is really wearing thin.

I just dont recognise half of these so called Scottish players?

What we need are REAL Scottish players who can show the pride and passion that comes with wearing a Scotland jersey. There must be some about in our own league who

dont play for Rangers of Celtic that could do better than those playing just now.

I feel sorry for wee Robertson who tries his heart out but no one around him responds.

Robbo6-2
12-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Devlin got slaughtered but Mulgrew was just as bad. Hes absolutely honking

CloudSquall
12-10-2019, 10:38 AM
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the state of our supply of CBs for Scotland, gone are the years of Miller, McLeish and co..

tamig
12-10-2019, 10:42 AM
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the state of our supply of CBs for Scotland, gone are the years of Miller, McLeish and co..

No fear. Souttar and McKenna are the future dream team. Or so we’re told.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2019, 10:43 AM
Good player who has played many different positions at a high level for years. Shouldn't be playing anymore but hardly hopeless.

BigKev
12-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Mulgrew has never been a natural centre half. Now he’s older he should be nowhere near the Scotland set up.

Blackburn supporters knew he was finished last season and despite loving him were happy to see him go to Wigan on loan.

Bar Porteous and Souttar across the road who are potentially the future there doesn’t appear to be any other good young centre halves out there. And while they’re both decent at our level are they going to be stand out’s on the international stage?

The boy McKenna at Aberdeen has been poor when playing for Scotland and he’s classed as a £5m plus player (no s******ing at the back please!)

Hiber-nation
12-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Good player who has played many different positions at a high level for years. Shouldn't be playing anymore but hardly hopeless.

Exactly. He is what he is, a converted midfielder/left back who is always going to struggle against big strong strikers. Been one of our few decent performers over the past few years. Until Wednesday :greengrin

brog
12-10-2019, 11:37 AM

He was a good player though I never really considered him international class other than possibly at LB. I posted before though i have this abiding memory of him against Germany. He ran away from a challenge in the box to stand on the line like a primary school kid, & then missed the ball anyway & allowed the goal. That was 3 years ago & he's hardly made a tackle since. That lack of physicality came back to haunt us against Russia.

Carheenlea
12-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Such stats are skewed somewhat when you factor in the number of internationals played now, plus the quality of squad back then compared to now. The likes of Stanton, Brownlie, Blackley, Cropley and Turnbull would walk into the current side, and none would lose any sleep over how many caps Mulgrew has compared to them.

Vault Boy
12-10-2019, 11:44 AM
No fear. Souttar and McKenna are the future dream team. Or so we’re told.

I know this is sarcasm, but fortunately we do have Porteous who will make centre half his own. Lindsay, McKenna and Souttar to battle it out for the spot next to him IMO.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2019, 12:03 PM
I know this is sarcasm, but fortunately we do have Porteous who will make centre half his own. Lindsay, McKenna and Souttar to battle it out for the spot next to him IMO.

Porteous isn't even a nailed on starter for Hibs when everyone is fit, he has a long way to go before he is for Scotland.

Vault Boy
12-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Porteous isn't even a nailed on starter for Hibs when everyone is fit, he has a long way to go before he is for Scotland.

That's why I said he will make it this own, some time soon. FWIW I completely disagree that he's not a nailed on starter for us, he's our best defender.

Bishop Hibee
12-10-2019, 12:35 PM
People are quick to criticise but who should Clark have played instead? Souter and McKenna aren’t fit and Porteous isn’t ready. If Hanlon had been in better form then I’d have said he’s worth a shout. Every bit as bad up front.

KeithTheHibby
12-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Hardly Mulgrews fault he has that amount of caps.

At least he hasn't turned his back on his country unlike countless others out there.

Roxyhibee
12-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Charlie Mulgrew now has more caps for Scotland than Pat Stanton, John Brownlie, John Blackley, Alex Cropley & Eddie Turnbull combined. How sad is that & what a reflection of our current team.

That is indeed sad news and remember Alex Edwards doesn’t even have a cap.!
However, it’s not Mulgrew or Clarke’s fault - he’s a midfielder trying to do his best at CB and we have a severe dearth of talent in that position. Those Tornadoes were around when Scotland was rich with talent from all the top English clubs and the OF had great Scottish players too. Although all of the above should have had a lot more caps for sure.

brog
12-10-2019, 01:03 PM
People are quick to criticise but who should Clark have played instead? Souter and McKenna aren’t fit and Porteous isn’t ready. If Hanlon had been in better form then I’d have said he’s worth a shout. Every bit as bad up front.

I agree we were very short this time round but in last couple of years players like Lindsay, Cooper & Hanley were ignored while Mulgrew was an automatic choice.

tamig
12-10-2019, 02:12 PM
I agree we were very short this time round but in last couple of years players like Lindsay, Cooper & Hanley were ignored while Mulgrew was an automatic choice.

Hanley is another who should never have been anywhere near an international squad imo. He’s being shown up for what he is in the EPL this season.

Hibernia&Alba
12-10-2019, 07:32 PM
It's a sad sign of the times. We used to have good competing for places in the national team; some cracking players didn't win a lot of caps. Now poor players can win a good number.

monktonharp
12-10-2019, 11:10 PM
Charlie Mulgrew now has more caps for Scotland than Pat Stanton, John Brownlie, John Blackley, Alex Cropley & Eddie Turnbull combined. How sad is that & what a reflection of our current team.that is ……..astounding, mind boggling, shocking etc. cant find the words to fully describe my feelings on it. the Hibernian men you mention , well all I can say is he couldnae lace their bits!

monktonharp
12-10-2019, 11:16 PM
That's why I said he will make it this own, some time soon. FWIW I completely disagree that he's not a nailed on starter for us, he's our best defender.happen to think he is our best performer, over his last 2 games. Sadly he misses the semi

monktonharp
12-10-2019, 11:21 PM
That is indeed sad news and remember Alex Edwards doesn’t even have a cap.!
However, it’s not Mulgrew or Clarke’s fault - he’s a midfielder trying to do his best at CB and we have a severe dearth of talent in that position. Those Tornadoes were around when Scotland was rich with talent from all the top English clubs and the OF had great Scottish players too. Although all of the above should have had a lot more caps for sure.
fair point you raise, but nevertheless it is a bit galling to see what is happening when compared to the ex-Hibs men that got few chances

MWHIBBIES
13-10-2019, 05:56 AM
that is ……..astounding, mind boggling, shocking etc. cant find the words to fully describe my feelings on it. the Hibernian men you mention , well all I can say is he couldnae lace their bits!

It's really not that mind boggling. More friendlies and less competition for places, it's that simple.

JimBHibees
13-10-2019, 06:56 AM

Would definitely have had Liam Lindsay and Stuart Findlay before both Devlin and Mulgrew. Mlulgrew is a centre half who doesn't tackle. Has always been a poor defender and very one footed. His attempt for the first goal was laughable. All he needed to do was stand goalside.

brog
13-10-2019, 08:31 AM
Would definitely have had Liam Lindsay and Stuart Findlay before both Devlin and Mulgrew. Mlulgrew is a centre half who doesn't tackle. Has always been a poor defender and very one footed. His attempt for the first goal was laughable. All he needed to do was stand goalside.

Pretty much my thoughts. He hasn't made a tackle in years. He's usually fairly comfortable on the ball & he's ok at reading the game/ intercepting but a CB must be able to win the ball when required. I also know we're in a low quality era when caps are devalued but 43 caps is a ridiculous amount regardless of the circumstances.

BILLYHIBS
13-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Alex Edwards never got one Scotland cap

Loads of players past and present with Scotland caps couldnae lace his bits

Heartbreaking!

:dunno:

heretoday
13-10-2019, 09:04 AM
Some great players hardly featured for Scotland we were that strong back in the day.
Jocky Scott was one.

blackpoolhibs
13-10-2019, 11:49 AM

I think he is, when fit he's our best centre half by a mile.

Barman Stanton
14-10-2019, 09:22 AM

Agreed. Would be surprised if he is not one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Keith_M
14-10-2019, 09:27 AM

:agree:

BILLYHIBS
14-10-2019, 09:28 AM

I like his attitude it is 100% spot on

I have high hopes for the boy and wish him every success in his career though still has a long way to go but coming along nicely

ekhibee
14-10-2019, 12:29 PM
Mulgrew's been pretty poor for years now. I used to think he was a good player, he used to be great at free kicks as well, but that was a long time ago.

Smartie
14-10-2019, 12:40 PM
Mulgrew's been pretty poor for years now. I used to think he was a good player, he used to be great at free kicks as well, but that was a long time ago.

In his defence, he could legitimately claim to be the best we've had for a long time now.

He struck up a decent partnership with Berra under Strachan and for the only time in what seems like ages we were more difficult to score against.

I'm hesitant to berate a guy who has consistently turned up, done his best and often played well, and he'll know that some of his most recent performances just weren't good enough.

Gordy M
14-10-2019, 12:52 PM
To be fair to Mulgrew, im sure he knows he is not first choice, we are missing Cooper, Hanley, Souttar, Tierney, Mckenna(who would prob be 1st choice) from the defence. Thats a lot of players and choice, not to be available for games.