PDA

View Full Version : The Changing Room

matty_f
10-10-2019, 10:07 PM
We've released a special episode tonight, coinciding (conveniently, but not deliberately) with World Mental Health Day, to promote The Changing Room initiative at Hibs.

Brian and I were joined by Neil Renton, who was a brilliant guest.

Less Hibs chat in this episode but we hope you'll tune in to a great discussion on men's mental health.

iTunes:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/longbangers/id1474463560

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/58oluD4boJvQuO2ZDftZax?si=myR-96ytS7erQbG8FIpspg

Web
https://anchor.fm/longbangers/episodes/Longbangers-Episode-15-The-Changing-Room-e6fl52

Pedantic_Hibee
11-10-2019, 04:47 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed that, it was cathartic for me to again speak about it and I hope we do many more on the subject.

It’s ok to not be ok.

DaveF
11-10-2019, 07:34 AM
I've only had time to listen to the first half hour but it is powerful stuff. You guys deserve a lot of credit for this.

Well done.

Danderhall Hibs
11-10-2019, 08:18 AM
I’m about halfway through but just wanted to say Brian - that was “brilliant” so honest and powerful.

Pedantic_Hibee
11-10-2019, 08:34 AM
I’m about halfway through but just wanted to say Brian - that was “brilliant” so honest and powerful.

If I’m being honest I barely scratched the surface of it but I wanted to get enough out there to encourage others that it’s ok to speak up. I’ve put myself out there knowing that there’s people who listen to it that know me but perhaps didn’t know what I suffer from or certainly don’t know the extent of how much it gripped and continues to grip me.

Cliched but if it helps and encourages just one person to open up then it’s worth it for me.

Matty was an absolutely fantastic host yesterday, really came into his own and was sensitive and inquisitive enough to make it a brilliant show. Neil as well was tremendous.

DaveF
11-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Round of applause guys.

Well done.

matty_f
11-10-2019, 09:29 AM
Round of applause guys.

Well done.

Thanks Dave - really appreciate that, as always. :agree:

matty_f
11-10-2019, 09:29 AM

Brian and Neil were both fantastic, Brian's account was stunning.

bingo70
11-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Really powerful and interesting stuff.

As someone that’s been fortunate to have pretty good mental health (I think anyway, touch wood etc etc etc) it was a real eye opener to the struggles you’ve all been through.

The three of you should be really proud of yourselves, as should everyone that’s dealing with and winning whatever battles they are facing.

If anyone is interested in that topic, I stumbled across a really interesting podcast with Tony Adams the other week, think it’s with Simon Munday from BBC radio, I may have got his name and/or spelling wrong but hopefully you can find it from that.

Hibernia&Alba
11-10-2019, 11:26 AM
I'm going to listen to this tonight. It sounds like an informative chat. :aok:

matty_f
11-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Really powerful and interesting stuff.

As someone that’s been fortunate to have pretty good mental health (I think anyway, touch wood etc etc etc) it was a real eye opener to the struggles you’ve all been through.

The three of you should be really proud of yourselves, as should everyone that’s dealing with and winning whatever battles they are facing.

If anyone is interested in that topic, I stumbled across a really interesting podcast with Tony Adams the other week, think it’s with Simon Munday from BBC radio, I may have got his name and/or spelling wrong but hopefully you can find it from that.

Thanks for the feedback and the recommendation, I'll definitely search that out.

Again, appreciate you listening and commenting on it :aok:

The 90+2
11-10-2019, 03:03 PM
Thanks very much chaps. It’s obviously not brilliant but it’s reassu there’s others that share so many situations. Really appreciated 👍

matty_f
11-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Thanks very much chaps. It’s obviously not brilliant but it’s reassu there’s others that share so many situations. Really appreciated 👍

:aok: Thanks - there's always folk in the same boat and help available.

The 90+2
11-10-2019, 04:33 PM
:aok: Thanks - there's always folk in the same boat and help available.

One day! 👍

CraigHibee
11-10-2019, 05:09 PM
Will give this a listen, sadly there are loads out there suffering who dont want to "bother" others with what is going on, its important to talk

Hibernia&Alba
11-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Will give this a listen, sadly there are loads out there suffering who dont want to "bother" others with what is going on, its important to talk

:top marks

Absolutely true

matty_f
11-10-2019, 06:07 PM

Let us know what you think, please. :aok:

Green Badger
11-10-2019, 08:19 PM
Had a listen tonight as I waited for the family to come home, and thought it was a very powerful and enlightening listen.

As someone said above, I think I’ve been fortunate to have good mental health during my life, but there are definitely some elements of what was discussed that resonate with me. Definitely something for me to watch out for in the future.

If anyone has a spare hour or so we’ll worth a listen. Well done guys.

matty_f
11-10-2019, 08:40 PM
Had a listen tonight as I waited for the family to come home, and thought it was a very powerful and enlightening listen.

As someone said above, I think I’ve been fortunate to have good mental health during my life, but there are definitely some elements of what was discussed that resonate with me. Definitely something for me to watch out for in the future.

If anyone has a spare hour or so we’ll worth a listen. Well done guys.

Thanks - Neil made a great point right at the start of the podcast about everyone having mental health, just some are in better health than others. When I took ill with it, it completely caught me off guard - I'd have said I would have been the last person it would happen to but it happened.

I hope people do listen and that we did it justice.

Billy Whizz
12-10-2019, 02:53 PM
Listened to it last night, thought it was excellent and thought provoking

matty_f
12-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Listened to it last night, thought it was excellent and thought provoking

Thanks Billy :aok:

LustForLeith
13-10-2019, 07:54 AM
I just wanted to say thanks to the guys letting me in the podcast to talk about the Changing Room and mental health. And also thanks to people who have responded to it positively or as they talk about their own mental health. It takes a lot of guts to do so.

This was all off Marty’s one back as well to get someone form the Changing Room on. And Brian’s own account was from his heart and honest which made it all the more empowering.

I was quite nervous and I had a few points that I didn’t cover. What I’m hoping that I was able to put over is that groups of Hibs fans have spoken about mental health in social media before the changing Room and the thread in here on depression and anxiety has been going on since 2012. It shows that as a group of fans we’ve always looked out for each other and supported each other when times are hard. And for that we should be proud.

As mentioned I’m not employed by the club, I’m a volunteer. It it’s given me pride to see the club I support support men and their mental health.

We’ve got a drop in tomorrow, meeting at 6 at the west stand if anyone is interested. But if anyone is needing to talk then please just do so, either to a professional or to anyone else.

We’ve got this.

Neil

matty_f
13-10-2019, 09:54 AM
I just wanted to say thanks to the guys letting me in the podcast to talk about the Changing Room and mental health. And also thanks to people who have responded to it positively or as they talk about their own mental health. It takes a lot of guts to do so.

This was all off Marty’s one back as well to get someone form the Changing Room on. And Brian’s own account was from his heart and honest which made it all the more empowering.

I was quite nervous and I had a few points that I didn’t cover. What I’m hoping that I was able to put over is that groups of Hibs fans have spoken about mental health in social media before the changing Room and the thread in here on depression and anxiety has been going on since 2012. It shows that as a group of fans we’ve always looked out for each other and supported each other when times are hard. And for that we should be proud.

As mentioned I’m not employed by the club, I’m a volunteer. It it’s given me pride to see the club I support support men and their mental health.

We’ve got a drop in tomorrow, meeting at 6 at the west stand if anyone is interested. But if anyone is needing to talk then please just do so, either to a professional or to anyone else.

We’ve got this.

Neil

Thanks Neil.

Some great points there - especially about how fans have looked out for each other.

We'll definitely record more episodes around this topic, and hopefully keep the conversation going.

CraigHibee
13-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Let us know what you think, please. :aok:

good listen matty, it's all about encouraging folk to open up as talking about what's going on can help, it can be difficult to open up about things sometimes but i know from a personal level that i've been through the mill over the last few years with a couple of things and have been at a very low level, speaking to close friends and colleagues has helped a lot and they are very understanding.

people need to realise that it's perfectly OK to not be OK

matty_f
13-10-2019, 09:55 PM
good listen matty, it's all about encouraging folk to open up as talking about what's going on can help, it can be difficult to open up about things sometimes but i know from a personal level that i've been through the mill over the last few years with a couple of things and have been at a very low level, speaking to close friends and colleagues has helped a lot and they are very understanding.

people need to realise that it's perfectly OK to not be OK

Thanks Craig. Talking about it definitely helps.

Chuck Rhoades
15-10-2019, 06:47 AM
Powerful listen. Well done to all involved.

JimBHibees
15-10-2019, 08:04 AM
Just listened to it hugely powerful discussion and very brave of the three of you to speak so honestly and openly. Well done.

matty_f
15-10-2019, 02:46 PM
Thanks Ross and Jim (and for the PM too, Ross). It's been nice to see people still finding the podcast a few days later and commenting on it. Means a lot to us.

BILLYHIBS
17-10-2019, 10:10 AM
Absolutely brilliant

Well done to everyone involved

Even if you are not directly affected yourself it makes you more aware of what others are going through

A must listen for all posters

Five stars are not enough

matty_f
17-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Absolutely brilliant

Well done to everyone involved

Even if you are not directly affected yourself it makes you more aware of what others are going through

A must listen for all posters

Five stars are not enough

Thanks Billy - we're still getting great messages through twitter/texts etc about the episode, and comments like yours (and the others on the thread) mean a lot. :aok:

matty_f
17-10-2019, 10:13 PM
We recorded a follow up episode to this, joined by MurrayMinter75 to continue the discussion both on The Changing Room and mental health.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2oOidxaVjdIxo3JICWHgN5?si=xtOD2VlwTSaVIIK0c3HGaQ

https://anchor.fm/longbangers/episodes/Longbangers-Episode-17-Changing-Room-2-e7r8ak

matty_f
26-10-2019, 07:24 AM
We put out a third episode in our Changing Room series last night, I thought it was really powerful, and a really reassuring message from our guest, John.

You can catch it here:
iTunes
Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/episode/0MCzGDLx4TcBMvoFCyD8GO?si=8DKDGRHBQgCatuxtJHfpSQ

Web/Anchor
https://anchor.fm/longbangers/episodes/Longbangers-Episode-19-Changing-Room-3-e86ooe

If anyone wants to come on and talk about things, drop me a PM or send an email to longbangers@gmail.com

Pedantic_Hibee
26-10-2019, 07:32 AM
Fantastic lads. 💚

LustForLeith
26-10-2019, 08:40 AM
Well done to those involved in last nights podcast. You can dress up mental health and ty and make it pretty but the realty is that it’s killing people and men are struggling with it. The conversation was honest and empowering.

I know John Wallace through the Changing Room and I can’t say how proud I am of him, especially when he admitted he was really nervous about appearing on the podcast.

Well done 👍💚

matty_f
26-10-2019, 08:56 AM
Well done to those involved in last nights podcast. You can dress up mental health and ty and make it pretty but the realty is that it’s killing people and men are struggling with it. The conversation was honest and empowering.

I know John Wallace through the Changing Room and I can’t say how proud I am of him, especially when he admitted he was really nervous about appearing on the podcast.

Well done 👍💚

Thanks, I thought he was superb, he articulated everything really well and was really easy to talk to.

I actually find hosting the podcasts really challenging as I want to do the guests justice, John's story was incredible and he should be really proud of himself for doing the podcast.