PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell - any good?

noz
10-10-2019, 07:25 PM
Just wondered how you all rate this guy compared to other keepers weve had.
Ive watched him a couple of times and dont recall him doing anything really bad, but then again, nothing spectacular either. Also, not the tallest.
If there was a list with say, Goram/Leighton at the top, Oxley near/at the bottom and goalies like Stack, Andersson, Herriot, Burridge mid table and maybe Bogdan/Marciano a bit higher. Then theres Rough, Colgan, Where would this guy fit in?

Discuss.....

MWHIBBIES
10-10-2019, 07:36 PM
Oxley wouldn't be bottom, not even near. I've seen at least 6 worse Hibs goalies.

Very quick off his line and aggressive in claiming corners which is definitely a big pro.

SMAXXA
10-10-2019, 07:36 PM
I like him looks enough no issues so far also good to see a keeper come out and command his box from corners etc

Pretty Boy
10-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Maxwell is 6' 1''. Taller than Andy Goram and John Burridge. Some people seem to think he is a midget. Odd. :wink:

I think the way goalkeeping has gone 6'1" is relatively small. There's not many top goalkeepers below the 6'3"+ mark and I think he'll be in the bottom 10% in terms of height in the league.

To answer the OP I quite like him. Kicks well, is comfortable with the ball at his feet, is good under the cross ball and the defence appear comfortable with him. For about the 3rd or 4th season in a row the goalkeeping position is arguably the one we are best covered in.

bingo70
10-10-2019, 07:47 PM
Oxley wouldn't be bottom, not even near. I've seen at least 6 worse Hibs goalies.

Very quick off his line and aggressive in claiming corners which is definitely a big pro.

I thought he was a dreadful keeper, never saved anything!

(I’m sure someone will now point to a save he once made)

Billy Whizz
10-10-2019, 07:50 PM
I like Maxwell, almost a sweeper keeper
We’re so lucky to have 2 good goalies fighting for the gloves

MWHIBBIES

Definitely wasn't dreadful. You'd have to be under 10 to think he's the worst goalie Hibs have had.

BoomtownHibees
Haven’t really seen him properly tested as yet. Has he actually had a save to make in the games he has played in?

Since452
10-10-2019, 07:53 PM
Only lost to a horrible deflected goal since he got the gloves. No coincidence

bingo70
10-10-2019, 08:09 PM
Definitely wasn't dreadful. You'd have to be under 10 to think he's the worst goalie Hibs have had.

I personally think he was dreadful.

Certainly nowhere near the worst goalie we’ve ever had though, Not even close.

Hulk1875
10-10-2019, 08:16 PM

Haha class post. He wasn’t too bad love him for scoring on the day my son was born

noz
10-10-2019, 08:23 PM

Maybe I was a bit harsh on him. But Im genuinely keen to hear 6 goalies worse than him? Makalamby maybe?

Paul1642
10-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Maybe I was a bit harsh on him. But Im genuinely keen to hear 6 goalies worse than him? Makalamby maybe?

Zibi, brown, maka, Andy McNeil all from the last 15 years or so. Sure there’s another two out there. He was not great but we had worse. He also scored that great goal vs Livingston If I remember right :)

MikeyS
10-10-2019, 08:31 PM

Ollie the goalie
Zibi
Smith
S Brown
M Brown
Caig
Makalamby
McNeill
The big Dane, Hyldegaard or something like that
Andersson- that one wont be popular as for some reason his penalty saves in one game save him on here.

Paul1642
10-10-2019, 08:35 PM
Ollie the goalie
Zibi
Smith
S Brown
M Brown
Caig
Makalamby
McNeill
Andersson- that one wont be popular as for some reason his penalty saves in one game save him on here.

Scary list all from recent times, and makes me all the more grateful that we have the safe hands of Marciano now and Maxwell seems so far so good as competition. If we had the likes of Simon brown or Zibi in goals right now we would be relocation contenders.

ScottB
10-10-2019, 08:39 PM
Zibi must count for like 5 of the 6 worst Hibs keepers ever.

Hulk1875
10-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Zibi and maka are ones that I fear I mind one game Possibly against Aberdeen ball is punted in the air from the Keeper of Aberdeen maka in his one box knowone around has easy take and everyone in old east stand are like oooooooooooo for him to catch it he fumbled it everyone starts pissing themselfs

MikeyS
10-10-2019, 08:48 PM
Zibi and maka are ones that I fear I mind one game Possibly against Aberdeen ball is punted in the air from the Keeper of Aberdeen maka in his one box knowone around has easy take and everyone in old east stand are like oooooooooooo for him to catch it he fumbled it everyone starts pissing themselfs

Did he not try and leather the ball of Lee Miller against Aberdeen and that cost us a goal also.

Heard from a player at the time that he had asked to be subbed once at Tynie so he didnt have to play directly in front of their fans.

we are hibs
10-10-2019, 09:05 PM
Oxley was absolutely *****.

MWHIBBIES
10-10-2019, 09:11 PM
Ollie the goalie
Zibi
Smith
S Brown
M Brown
Caig
Makalamby
McNeill

Yep, agree with all except Andersson.

Oxley was nothing close to as bad as those guys. Had some good performances for Hibs.

LaMotta
10-10-2019, 09:11 PM
Zibi must count for like 5 of the 6 worst Hibs keepers ever.

He was ok against everybody apart from corrupt Lithuanian Vladimir Romanovs Hearts, whom against he made numerous catastrophic and bizaare howlers.

Defo got cash in brown envelopes from Vlad.

LaMotta
10-10-2019, 09:14 PM
Did he not try and leather the ball of Lee Miller against Aberdeen and that cost us a goal also.

Heard from a player at the time that he had asked to be subbed once at Tynie so he didnt have to play directly in front of their fans.

I quite liked maka as a character, but he was a truly astonishingly terrible signing from John Collins at a time when we needed a steady goalkeeper after 2 or 3 years of poor keepers.

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Safe pair of hands there doesn’t seem to be any clangers in his locker looks a good footballer and is very vocal with his defence only criticism is at least once a game he boots the ball straight to the opposition goalkeeper

Agree could be taller stands 6’1” and Andy Goram wasn’t the tallest

In possession of the gloves just now

LaMotta
10-10-2019, 09:29 PM
Maxwell made an absolute howler against Dunfermline pre season but has looked good since then, without really making any great saves.

Jury is still out.

heretoday
10-10-2019, 09:52 PM
Maxwell is 6' 1''. Taller than Andy Goram, Jim Leighton and John Burridge. Some people seem to think he is a midget. Odd. :wink:

They're probably sitting far away from him.

CMurdoch
10-10-2019, 10:06 PM
He is 29 and has been allowed to come to Hibs on loan by Championship Preston.
When we signed him i looked at their fans forums and the prevalent opinion amongst the posters was that he wasn't good enough for them. Their are obviously reasons for this feeling about a player who played 76 games for their team.

I think he has done well for us so far. He is useful with his feet, thinks quickly and comes out to collect crosses.
However, he is not the shot saver Marciano is. Join the two and you have some keeper!

MWHIBBIES
11-10-2019, 05:18 AM
Maxwell made an absolute howler against Dunfermline pre season but has looked good since then, without really making any great saves.

Jury is still out.

Did he? Their goal was a header from a corner, don't really think it was a howler.

LaMotta
11-10-2019, 08:52 AM
Did he? Their goal was a header from a corner, don't really think it was a howler.

Yeh on reflection absoulte howler is a bit strong. But he flapped at the corner and it was not good goalkeeping.

Apart from that I cant remember him doing anything wrong.

Since452
11-10-2019, 08:58 AM
Oxley was absolutely *****.

Cracking goal scorer though

My_Wife_Camille
11-10-2019, 10:22 AM

Agreed. Terrible goalkeeper for us who's fortunate that his many blunders came didn't come against Hearts so they are largely forgotten. He dropped clangers against the likes of Alloa, Falkirk and Morton. I shudder to think how he would have been against EBT era Rangers, Vlad era Hearts and Celtic.

I'm probably Ofir Marciano's biggest fan but although he has been brilliant for us (especially towards the end of last season) he hasn't quite reached his usual high standards this season and Maxwell more than deserved his shot and has done well enough to stay there. An improvement on Bogdan for sure who I felt was pretty overrated.

calumhibee1
11-10-2019, 10:37 AM

That’s how I remember him. Anything in the corners and it was a goal. Not necessarily howlers but you just never expected him to save anything he wasn’t entitled to.