PDA

View Full Version : greatest goalkeepers to play for away side at ER

worcesterhibby
10-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Was looking through a few old programmes and started thinking about some of the great goalies that have been seen playing for away teams at ER. It was a programme from 1961 when we played AS Roma in the Fairs Cup that set me off. Roma's number 1 at the time was Cudicini. This was Fabio Cudicini, the father of Carlo who played for Chelsea and Spurs. Despite never getting a cap for Italy Fabio won Serie A, The Coppa italia, The Fairs Cup, The Cup Winners Cup and also the European cup. That's a pretty decent medals haul, so he must have been a tidy keeper.

Talking of Italians, Maybe the greatest Italian keeper of all time played at ER at least twice..Dino Zoff famously had 5 put past him at ER while playing for Napoli in 1967, but I believe he also played in a UEFA cup match for Juventus against us at ER in 1974. Although Juventus beat us 4-2 that night, Zoff can proudly say that both Stanton and Cropley scored against him :greengrin now there's a proper claim to fame !! Zoff won 6 Serie A titles, 2 Coppa Italia's, A UEFA Cup and a European Championship before finally in 1982 he achieved his greatest triumph of winning the World Cup aged 40... Some keeper.

Our matches with Liverpool in European competition saw Ray Clemence between the sticks at ER, in fact he even saved a John Brownlie penalty in our 1-0 win in 1975 and with 61 International Caps (despite that Shilton was around at the same time) and a medal cabinet that included 5 league titles, two FA cups, a League Cup, three UEFA Cups and three European Cups (that's Champions leagues for you young ones) his achievements are hard to argue with (even if Dalglish did nutmeg him in the Scotland England match in 1976:greengrin).

Well I'm sure I've missed a few other amazing keepers who have played for the away team at Easter Road...anyone want to suggest any others ?

greiggy
10-10-2019, 05:07 PM
Gordon Banks, albeit later in his career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

worcesterhibby
10-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Gordon Banks, albeit later in his career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was that a friendly against Stoke in the early 1970's ?

Ray_
10-10-2019, 05:14 PM
Peter McCloy saved Rangers a right doing in a Scottish cup replay at ER in 1973 and then a Tommy McLean winner although two yards offside stole it for them.

That performance apart, a guy called Nigbur, he was Sepp Miah's German understudy playing for Schalke and played the game of his life as they held us 0-0 in a preseason friendly at the start of 1970/71 season.

Hibernia&Alba
10-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Peter McCloy saved Rangers a right doing in a Scottish cup replay at ER in 1973 and then a Tommy McLean winner although two yards offside stole it for them.

That performance apart, a guy called Nigbur, he was Sepp Miah's German understudy playing for Schalke and played the game of his life as they held us 0-0 in a preseason friendly at the start of 1970/71 season.

Tremendous knowledge, Ray :top marks

Clarence
10-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Oliver Kahn for Bayern Munich vs Raith Rovers - admittedly he didn’t really have to put in much of a performance that night.

worcesterhibby
10-10-2019, 05:27 PM
Oliver Kahn for Bayern Munich vs Raith Rovers - admittedly he didn’t really have to put in much of a performance that night.

Surely they played that at Stark's Park not Easter Road ??

Pretty Boy
10-10-2019, 05:29 PM

Game was at ER as Starks Parks wasn't suitable.

I went along with my Dad, think there were a few Hibs fans I'm attendance.

Hermit Crab
10-10-2019, 05:29 PM

Nope it was def at ER, Starks park was not compliant to use to Euro games. Or it may have been getting redeveloped at the time, I cant remember.

worcesterhibby
10-10-2019, 05:30 PM

Just looked him up..he was called Norbert Nigbur (great name ) and he played for Rot Weiss Essen as well, just to complete the Hibs link. Cheers Ray

worcesterhibby
10-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Ah, I stand corrected..every day is a school day ! I have no memory of that. Apologies Clarence..great suggestion..

For the record (and to compare to my suggestions) Khan won 8 x Bundesliga, 6 x DFB Pokal (german FA Cup), 5 x Ligapokal (German league cup) a champions league a UEFA Cup, and a European championship. (but he never managed a World Cup losing in the 2002 final as Fat Ronaldo knocked 2 past him)

Sean1875
10-10-2019, 05:33 PM
Slight tangent and one I hate to admit but the best save I’ve ever seen at ER was from Craig Gordon saving a Rob Jones header when he was at Hearts still. I was full on celebrating and couldn’t believe it when the ball didn’t hit the back of the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
10-10-2019, 05:37 PM
Slight tangent and one I hate to admit but the best save I’ve ever seen at ER was from Craig Gordon saving a Rob Jones header when he was at Hearts still. I was full on celebrating and couldn’t believe it when the ball didn’t hit the back of the net.

That save was incredible.

Made all the worse by the fact we had been 2-0 up and 2 Zibi moments let them back into it. A tale of 2 goalkeepers.

worcesterhibby
10-10-2019, 05:43 PM

That incredible save he made for Celtic in the 2-2 draw when Steven Whittaker hit it from about 2 yards out always sticks in my mind as well...2 years ago I think..mind you that was at Celtic park...so even more off on a tangent.

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2019, 05:48 PM

Did they parade the Famous Five before the kick off of the Shalke 04 game?

Gloucester Hibs
10-10-2019, 05:49 PM
Not the greatest goalkeeper, but greatest save I’ve seen at ER was Artur Boruc tipping a David Wotherspoon 40 yard wonder strike onto the post/bar, even when I watched it back on the telly I was convinced the ball was going in the net!

Edit: here it is:
https://youtu.be/7-CDudaYkyA

Iggy Pope
10-10-2019, 06:01 PM

They did. And Jimmy McColl.

Iggy Pope
10-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Was that a friendly against Stoke in the early 1970's ?

1976. Beat 0-1. And he’d lost an eye by that time. Garth Crooks winner. Last game I attended with my auld fellah.

mim
10-10-2019, 06:06 PM
Andy Goram took a bit of beating :thumbsup:

worcesterhibby
10-10-2019, 06:06 PM
1976. Beat 0-1. And he’d lost an eye by that time. Garth Crooks winner. Last game I attended with my auld fellah.

cheers Iggy..I bet you have the programme !

MWHIBBIES
10-10-2019, 06:07 PM
Andy Lonergran in a friendly vs Preston about 9 years ago.

Iggy Pope
10-10-2019, 06:08 PM
I used to love the fellah that played for Ayr. Hugh Sproat. He was proto -punk with a spiked hairdo and a razor blade earring. Used to wear a green jersey v Rangers and a blue one v Celtic to piss them off. He was also a very good keeper.

Iggy Pope
10-10-2019, 06:09 PM
cheers Iggy..I bet you have the programme !

Aye, and it’s folded!

Purple & Green
10-10-2019, 06:11 PM
They did. And Jimmy McColl.

And Johnny Halligan too IIRC

worcesterhibby
10-10-2019, 06:14 PM
I used to love the fellah that played for Ayr. Hugh Sproat. He was proto -punk with a spiked hairdo and a razor blade earring. Used to wear a green jersey v Rangers and a blue one v Celtic to piss them off. He was also a very good keeper.

I always remember him with grey hair playing for Motherwell and looking like a slightly disturbing Scottish version of Des Lynam ! :greengrin

Iggy Pope
10-10-2019, 06:17 PM
I always remember him with grey hair playing for Motherwell and looking like a slightly disturbing Scottish version of Des Lynam ! :greengrin

Nah.

https://images.app.goo.gl/sT5Q4AE7km7bG9BW9

Ray_
10-10-2019, 06:19 PM

They did, or the match programme showed them on the pitch from the previous game, it might have been the game after them that the programme had them on the pitch :greengrin

I remember the Queen of the South keeper, Alan Ball, who stayed there forever, also played a blinder [although we won 3-0] in a section game during our 1972 league cup winning season.

Iggy Pope
10-10-2019, 06:20 PM
Nah.

And

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/ayr-united/stars-of-the-70s-no-9-hugh-sproat-1-2581143/amp

Smartie
10-10-2019, 06:20 PM
I always used to like Jordan Rhodes' old man Andy when he played for Dunfermline.

He was a superb goalkeeper who always seemed to have a special form of banter with the Hibs support.

He was one of those players who I thought was a stick on to sign for us one day, but he never did.

worcesterhibby
10-10-2019, 06:21 PM
Nah.

Oh come on ..https://www.auchinlecktalbot.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/th-208x300.jpg

heretoday
Gary Sprake of Leeds. 1968. Not a happy memory.

hfc rd
Anti Niemi for Hearts in the 6-2 game. Scoreline could have been a much bigger margin if it wasn’t for a goalkeeper that was finished.

Iggy Pope
10-10-2019, 06:23 PM
They did, or the match programme showed them on the pitch from the previous game, it might have been the game after them that the programme had them on the pitch :greengrin

It was definitely half time v Schalke Ray. In fact, I think it was a presentation being made to Jimmy McColl for 50 years service at the Hibs. My old man was telling everyone around us that Gordon Smith was still fit enough to be playing for us.

Iggy Pope
10-10-2019, 06:24 PM
Oh come on ..https://www.auchinlecktalbot.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/th-208x300.jpg

We all get old. He was obviously into Earth Wind & Fire by then. Refer to my previous posts. He was radge.

worcesterhibby
10-10-2019, 06:34 PM
We all get old. He was obviously into Earth Wind & Fire by then. Refer to my previous posts. He was radge.

I love the bit about him wearing green top against Rangers and blue against Celtic...quality Radge work :greengrin

I always had a soft spot for Hamish McAlpine, who was also a bit of a radge, he took penalty's for Dundee Utd at one point and scored one at ER I think. I suspect he used to drive Jim McLean mental, loved coming out of his box.

Iggy Pope
10-10-2019, 06:38 PM
I love the bit about him wearing green top against Rangers and blue against Celtic...quality Radge work :greengrin

I always had a soft spot for Hamish McAlpine, who was also a bit of a radge, he took penalty's for Dundee Utd at one point and scored one at ER I think. I suspect he used to drive Jim McLean mental, loved coming out of his box.

Got a winner against us at ER I think.

Itsnoteasy
10-10-2019, 06:43 PM
Anti Niemi for Hearts in the 6-2 game. Scoreline could have been a much bigger margin if it wasn’t for a goalkeeper that was finished.

Man of the match performance.
Unfortunate for him that half the Hibs team were men of the match.

brog
10-10-2019, 06:56 PM
Alan, 'Willie' Whigham. Another great character. We beat Hawrts at Tiny on 1/1/65 with a Willie Hamilton wonder goal. Next day we played Falkirk at ER & thrashed them 6-0. Neil Martin scored 4 & Stan Vincent is still p---ed off Neilly robbed him of his only senior hat trick! Willie stopped it being 10 & in between some outstanding saves spent whole 2nd half chatting to fans behind the goal in the shed. The fact he was a big Hibbie also helped.

Ray_
10-10-2019, 07:05 PM
It was definitely half time v Schalke Ray. In fact, I think it was a presentation being made to Jimmy McColl for 50 years service at the Hibs. My old man was telling everyone around us that Gordon Smith was still fit enough to be playing for us.

Yeah, I know your right, GS looked fabulous, it was 1971 though, my mistake, we also played them in Germany in 1970, which was also 0-0. But this was ET's second game as manager, just a couple of days after the Bertie Auld v Nobby Styles encounter & poor Nobby got carried off :greengrin

where'stheslope
11-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Maybe not the greatest goalkeeper, but certainly one of the greatest performances by jamie Macdonald for Hertz in the cup game!
He stopped shots he had no right to, thought we should have won it by 3 or 4 goals but for his performance!!

Dan Sarf
11-10-2019, 11:31 AM
Tommy Younger when he came to Easter Rd with Liverpool. Joe Baker, then just a skinny lad, attempted to shoulder charge massive Tommy - he had to jump up to do it - and ended up flat on his back. An appreciative chuckle went round the ground.

superfurryhibby
11-10-2019, 11:45 AM
Leeds goalie for the euefa cup match at ER, Kyle Letheren? He was third choice keeper, but played out his skin.

Goram in his prime was world class, hard to get better than that. His only weakness was lack of height, but he was still unbelievable.

.Sean.
11-10-2019, 01:54 PM

I read this all the time but I genuinely have no recollection of this. Is there a video anywhere?

worcesterhibby
11-10-2019, 01:57 PM
I read this all the time but I genuinely have no recollection of this. Is there a video anywhere?

crap quality but it's here at about 6m50 seconds, plus replays a wee bit further on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka0Tt8Fcw40

still reckon this one is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDz5InKcCVw

Pretty Boy
11-10-2019, 01:58 PM

Not the best quality but right at the very end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka0Tt8Fcw40

Pretty Boy
11-10-2019, 02:02 PM
To add to the Craig Gordon love in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORlh8K_6cbE

That was an unbelievable save. He was some goalkeeper at his best and had injuries not cost him thew best part of 2 years he would have been even better imo.

Glory Lurker
11-10-2019, 02:02 PM

I can't believe he never got a Scotland cap.

Sweet Left Peg
11-10-2019, 02:45 PM

I was there too. Some cracking players lined up for Bayern that night.

ancient hibee
11-10-2019, 05:07 PM
Leeds goalie for the euefa cup match at ER, Kyle Lettering? He was third choice keeper, but played out his skin.

Goran in his prime was world class, hard to get better than that. His only weakness was lack of height, but he was still unbelievable.

Not only that.They had two goalies that night and both were terrific .

superfurryhibby
11-10-2019, 06:11 PM
Not only that.They had two goalies that night and both were terrific .

Right enough, he came on as a sub.

Still riles me that \Peter Lorimer says Leeds didn't really try as hard as they could have that night, due to them all betting on a Hibs win. They were meant to be a team with a strong winning mentality, managed by a man who craved success. Doesn't really fit with what happened on the night. Clearly Lorimer forget to remind Bremner and the goalie to lie down to us.

BILLYHIBS
11-10-2019, 06:14 PM
Best performance I have ever seen at Easter Road was by Billy Bremner at Sweeper that night

Absolutely outstanding first class

eastmainsmsh
11-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Billy Thomson and Campbell money were both decent keepers keeping it scottish lol

The 90+2
11-10-2019, 07:09 PM
Stefan Kloss.

Roxyhibee
11-10-2019, 10:07 PM

My dad was a brilliant, peace loving Hibby man in all walks of life - until we played the Huns.! “They are all crooks son.!” Tommy McLean was actually miles offside a couple times that night but never called by the ref (Bobby Davidson.?) or his corrupt linesmen. My dad was getting more and more agitated and when that disgraceful yards offside goal was allowed he actually went ape****, was told to calm down by a copper and then started to argue with him as well.!! Thankfully he wasn’t lifted but for younger fans, decisions went blatantly against you if you played the Huns - very little replays shown on telly, etc.

JeMeSouviens
11-10-2019, 10:27 PM
I was there too. Some cracking players lined up for Bayern that night.

Me too. I went to see Jean Pierre Papin but Klinsmann stole the show.

JeMeSouviens
11-10-2019, 10:29 PM
I can't believe he never got a Scotland cap.

Finnished :-)

In all seriousness, he was brilliant, would’ve been 10+ with an average goalie.

hibby6270
12-10-2019, 09:59 PM
A relative ‘unknown’ at the time, apart from the surname, but has done OK for himself since.

50 caps for his country and an EPL winner in 2016.

I give you Kasper Schmeichel. Does he count?

We “pumped” 2 goals past him the week before our League Cup victory in 2007.

WellingtonHibby
13-10-2019, 06:46 AM

That save defied the very laws of nature. It was genuinely astonishing

frazeHFC
13-10-2019, 08:59 AM
A relative ‘unknown’ at the time, apart from the surname, but has done OK for himself since.

50 caps for his country and an EPL winner in 2016.

I give you Kasper Schmeichel. Does he count?

We “pumped” 2 goals past him the week before our League Cup victory in 2007.

Was about to say him. Albeit not at the heights of his father, still a very good goalkeeper.

BILLYHIBS
13-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Was about to say him. Albeit not at the heights of his father, still a very good goalkeeper.

Had an awesome save last night playing for Denmark ba heading for top postage stamp managed to dive across and tip it onto the cross bar

Would have liked to have seen him at Man Utd no particular reason other than his father played there

Speedway
13-10-2019, 10:32 AM
Alan McGregor when at Dumfy had to play Hibs by himself during the Mowbray era.

We massacred them but it was only 3-0 or 3-1 thanks to him.

telford hibbee
13-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Best performance I have ever seen at Easter Road was by Billy Bremner at Sweeper that night

Absolutely outstanding first class
Agree with that.

Hibees1973
13-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Agree with that.
Some real conspiracy theory stories on line about this game. Leeds wanting to lose, not trying, etc. Utter bull. This was Turnbull’s Tornadoes in their pomp against the legendary Leeds Revie outfit.

I was only 7 but still remember getting herded into the East Terracing with my Dad with a crowd over 35,000. I remember cheering when Gordon scored but chalked off, apparently incorrectly, by the ref. Also Pat’s missed pen.

Wish there was some TV footage of this game. There is a couple of minutes of the first leg at Elland Road on YouTube.

Great stuff.

brog
13-10-2019, 01:20 PM
Some real conspiracy theory stories on line about this game. Leeds wanting to lose, not trying, etc. Utter bull. This was Turnbull’s Tornadoes in their pomp against the legendary Leeds Revie outfit.

I was only 7 but still remember getting herded into the East Terracing with my Dad with a crowd over 35,000. I remember cheering when Gordon scored but chalked off, apparently incorrectly, by the ref. Also Pat’s missed pen.

Wish there was some TV footage of this game. There is a couple of minutes of the first leg at Elland Road on YouTube.

Great stuff.

I spent a couple of drunken hours in Billy Bremner's company after Gordon Hunters testimonial. He never said anything about betting on Hibs but confirmed that Leeds were not that keen on the UEFA cup that season. Leeds real focus was on the league, which they won. However he said once they were on the pitch their natural instincts kicked in & they played their hearts out. He agreed we should have won & said he hadn't realised how well he had played, just was completely relaxed. He was great company, happy to chat all things footy until he pretty much passed out! A memorable night. PS, Harry Potter was also there for a while & he was also good company.

Hibees1973
13-10-2019, 07:44 PM
I spent a couple of drunken hours in Billy Bremner's company after Gordon Hunters testimonial. He never said anything about betting on Hibs but confirmed that Leeds were not that keen on the UEFA cup that season. Leeds real focus was on the league, which they won. However he said once they were on the pitch their natural instincts kicked in & they played their hearts out. He agreed we should have won & said he hadn't realised how well he had played, just was completely relaxed. He was great company, happy to chat all things footy until he pretty much passed out! A memorable night. PS, Harry Potter was also there for a while & he was also good company.
Great post.

BILLYHIBS
14-10-2019, 09:20 AM
Anyone else just go to Easter Road with the green googles oan and just have eyes only for the green and white sleeves?

I very rarely notice an opposition player unless they are truly exceptional and stand out like a sore thumb

A terrible thing to admit to I agree

A case in point the already mentioned Billy Bremners virtuoso performance for Leeds Utd or that brilliant Brazilian Altafini coming on as a second half substitute for Juventus to destroy our dreams and get some revenge for Napoli

I also remember watching countless brilliant goalkeeping displays against the Tornadoes as it was always constant total HIBS pressure and just a matter of time before we scored

Bobby Clark a great Aberdeen goalkeeper came to Easter Road having not conceded for 1200 minutes a British record at the time it didn’t last

Other great goalkeeping performances I remember Roddy Mackenzie Ernie McGarr Hugh Sproat Hamish MacAlpine Alan Rough Gordon Marshall Jnr and Anti Niemi

we are hibs
14-10-2019, 09:41 AM
Maybe not the greatest goalkeeper, but certainly one of the greatest performances by jamie Macdonald for Hertz in the cup game!
He stopped shots he had no right to, thought we should have won it by 3 or 4 goals but for his performance!!

We shouldve been about 5-0 up in the first 25 that night. The one he saved onto the bar from a Robertson shot was ridiculous.

Best save ive seen at ER was a hibs goalie. Marciano v Dunfermline in the championship. May have been a double save actually

Cataplana
14-10-2019, 11:28 AM

Looks quite the punk there. Punk as in Eddie and the Hot Rods, or Doctor Feelgood, that is.

CropleyisGod
14-10-2019, 12:53 PM
Anyone else just go to Easter Road with the green googles oan and just have eyes only for the green and white sleeves?

I very rarely notice an opposition player unless they are truly exceptional and stand out like a sore thumb

A case in point the already mentioned Billy Bremners virtuoso performance for Leeds Utd or that brilliant Brazilian Altafini coming on as a second half substitute for Juventus to destroy our dreams and get some revenge for Napoli

I also remember watching countless brilliant goalkeeping displays against the Tornadoes as it was always constant total HIBS pressure and just a matter of time before we scored

Bobby Clark a great Aberdeen goalkeeper came to Easter Road having not conceded for 1200 minutes a British record at the time it didn’t last

Other great goalkeeping performances I remember Roddy Mackenzie Ernie McGarr Hugh Sproat Hamish MacAlpine Alan Rough Gordon Marshall Jnr and Anti Niemi

The game where Clark’s shut out run ended was more famous for the return of the Fabulous Baker Boy! Stanton ended the run and Joe brought the house down with the second, from hazy memory.

Recall a game vs Ayr at ER with Sproat in goals. During an injury break crowd started a rousing chorus of “Hugh Sproat...you’re a w*nker, you’re a w*nker” to which the keeper turned and showed us how to do it. He got a massive cheer. Suspect he was exaggerating for effect [emoji6]

BILLYHIBS
14-10-2019, 01:01 PM
The game where Clark’s shut out run ended was more famous for the return of the Fabulous Baker Boy! Stanton ended the run and Joe brought the house down with the second, from hazy memory.

Recall a game vs Ayr at ER with Sproat in goals. During an injury break crowd started a rousing chorus of “Hugh Sproat...you’re a w*nker, you’re a w*nker” to which the keeper turned and showed us how to do it. He got a massive cheer. Suspect he was exaggerating for effect [emoji6]
👍🏾

Since452
14-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Tin hat on but Craig Gordon when he was at Hearts. Saved them from a few hidings. One save from Rob Jones stands out. Breathtaking

Iggy Pope
14-10-2019, 03:10 PM
Looks quite the punk there. Punk as in Eddie and the Hot Rods, or Doctor Feelgood, that is.

Don’t be dismissing either of those now. Barrie Masters and Wilko were as punk as anyone and if you were around you’d know that.
Like I’ve said already, this picture was taken when he’d clearly mellowed. He’s got a Motherwell shirt on for a start....I think he’s probably got into Zappa by then if not disco. Or porn of course.

southsider
14-10-2019, 03:46 PM

I thought Roddy was a very fine keeper...., then he came to Hibs and become the worst keeper ever. Lost 4 against Dumbarton then another 4 against them. Then he was dropped.

BILLYHIBS
14-10-2019, 04:37 PM
I thought Roddy was a very fine keeper...., then he came to Hibs and become the worst keeper ever. Lost 4 against Dumbarton then another 4 against them. Then he was dropped.

Yip!

Always played well against us especially for Airdrieonians 2002

Maybe hated green😁

brog
14-10-2019, 04:58 PM

We scored 19 goals against Roddy in season 72/73 & signed him after that!! Quite bizarre by Turnbull really.

The 90+2
14-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Yip!

Maybe hated green😁

Think you’re mixing up the Roddys?

BILLYHIBS
14-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Think you’re mixing up the Roddys?

Naw Roddy Mackenzie played for Airdrieonians born 1945

There was also his Jambo namesake born 1975

Iggy Pope
14-10-2019, 05:09 PM
Yip!

Maybe hated green��

Your mixing up right enough Billy. He wisnae still picking them out in 2002. You’re giving the auld Airdrie their Sunday name aren’t you?

BILLYHIBS
14-10-2019, 05:10 PM
Your mixing up right enough Billy. He wisnae still picking them out in 2002.

Naw that was when old Airdrieonians folded our auld nemesis full of ex Jambo hacking bassas

Roxyhibee
14-10-2019, 09:28 PM
Don’t be dismissing either of those now. Barrie Masters and Wilko were as punk as anyone and if you were around you’d know that.
Like I’ve said already, this picture was taken when he’d clearly mellowed. He’s got a Motherwell shirt on for a start....I think he’s probably got into Zappa by then if not disco. Or porn of course.

Correct. Both great live bouncing bands from that era with the right attitude. I got a real kicking at the Eddie and The Hot Rods March ‘78 Usher Hall gig from bouncers my dads age.Just for dancing on the seats when Barrie and the boys came on. Blood, ripped leather jacket the lot. Psychotic auld tossers. Unlike the Odeon, they weren’t used to punk fans.
That photo is more Beefheart than Zappa.

CMurdoch
14-10-2019, 11:31 PM

Groucho Marx meets Des Lynam

Iggy Pope
17-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Correct. Both great live bouncing bands from that era with the right attitude. I got a real kicking at the Eddie and The Hot Rods March ‘78 Usher Hall gig from bouncers my dads age.Just for dancing on the seats when Barrie and the boys came on. Blood, ripped leather jacket the lot. Psychotic auld tossers. Unlike the Odeon, they weren’t used to punk fans.
That photo is more Beefheart than Zappa.

Agreed.

Iggy Pope
17-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Groucho Marx meets Des Lynam

Uninspiring, lacks much humour. Geez another.

BILLYHIBS
17-10-2019, 08:06 PM
Uninspiring, lacks much humour. Geez another.

Bob Carolgees!

Lancs Harp
17-10-2019, 09:22 PM
Great thread this. :thumbsup:

Before my Hibs visits but I'd go for Dino Zoff.