PDA

View Full Version : Jamie MacLaren hat trick

Forza Fred
10-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Scored 3 for Oz in a 5-0 World Cup qualifying game against Nepal in Canberra.

Mark Milligan captained the side, and it could have/should have been 10.

Nepal defended well to keep the score down, which surprised the pundits, but shouldn’t have, as most of the Nepal players have played at a much higher level than the Oz boys.

Harry Soutter made his debut and scored 1, possibly 2 if the ref doesn’t give it as an o.g.

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Didn’t do a lot wrong when he was here tbh apart from having a back injury in his second season and Lennon refusing to play him oh and missing a penalty versus the sheep up at Pittodrie

People also forget he scored a hatrick against the Hun that launched the aeroplane

Happy days

Fair dinkum! 👍🏾

The Baldmans Comb
10-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Scored 3 for Oz in a 5-0 World Cup qualifying game against Nepal in Canberra.

Mark Milligan captained the side, and it could have/should have been 10.

Nepal defended well to keep the score down, which surprised the pundits, but shouldn’t have, as most of the Nepal players have played at a much higher level than the Oz boys.

Harry Soutter made his debut and scored 1, possibly 2 if the ref doesn’t give it as an o.g.

I watched Nepal a few months back in Kuala Lumpur and they were neat and tidy and quite hard to break down but Malaysia persevered to win by a comfortable 2:0.

5:0 for hardened Aussie boys sounds about right and I am surprised the Oz media expected anything other than a convincing win as physically they would just to be strong for the Nepalese players who according to my team sheet virtually all play in Nepal but good to see Jamie McLaren do so well as his Hibs career seemed to start so well before fizzling out.

Waxy
10-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Struth

Forza Fred
10-10-2019, 11:33 AM
I watched Nepal a few months back and they were neat and tidy and quite hard to break down but Malaysia persevered to win by a comfortable 2:0.

5:0 for hardened Aussie boys sounds about right and I am surprised the Oz media expected anything other than a convincing win as physically they would just to be strong for the Nepalese players who according to my team sheet virtually all play in Nepal but good to see Jamie McLaren do so well.

Yep, as I said, they all play at a high level😉

MWHIBBIES
10-10-2019, 11:36 AM
Which Nepal players have played at anywhere near the level Aus guys have? I'd be surprised if any were even professional.

Nvm, I get it now. Clever joke :faf:

Since452
10-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Bring him back cant believe we let him go. Lennon out

Diclonius
10-10-2019, 03:09 PM
Remember when people thought Maclaren was *****? :rolleyes:

HFC93
10-10-2019, 03:46 PM
Jamie Maclaren Ballon d'Or

Winston Ingram
10-10-2019, 04:12 PM

A hattrick against the World ranked 161st has made them look like right mugs :lips seal

SRHibs
10-10-2019, 05:03 PM
A hattrick against the World ranked 161st has made them look like right mugs :lips seal

Yup, he could've put 15 past them yesterday and I'd still be convinced he is absolute garbage.

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2019, 05:15 PM

Gash?

Liam6270
10-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Maclaren was awful

LaMotta
10-10-2019, 09:04 PM
Maclaren was awful

No he wasnt.

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2019, 09:21 PM
Maclaren was awful

Cannae recall Jamie MAC missing many “sitters”

All he did was score goals ????

The 90+2
10-10-2019, 09:23 PM
Maclaren was awful

Not a patch on big Doidge tbh 😂😂😂😂😂😅😅😅😅😅😅

The 90+2
10-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Cannae recall Jamie MAC missing many “sitters”

All he did was score goals ????

He wasn’t Vegan enough.

Winston Ingram
10-10-2019, 09:45 PM
Yup, he could've put 15 past them yesterday and I'd still be convinced he is absolute garbage.

No doubt the boy could sniff out a tap in but technically he’s up there with one of the worst footballers I’ve ever seen play for us.

His performance up at Aberdeen in the 0-0 2 seasons ago was probably the worst I can ever recall seeing. He had 8 touches. Missed an open and a penalty, and the only time he found a team mate was from the kick off.

He genuinely looked like he’d won a raffle.

LaMotta
10-10-2019, 10:01 PM
No doubt the boy could sniff out a tap in but technically he’s up there with one of the worst footballers I’ve ever seen play for us.

His performance up at Aberdeen in the 0-0 2 seasons ago was probably the worst I can ever recall seeing. He had 8 touches. Missed an open and a penalty, and the only time he found a team mate was from the kick off.

That might be true at Aberdeen that day but his performances that season against Killie, Hearts and Rangers were very very good.

The chat of him being awful is way ott.

SMAXXA
10-10-2019, 10:05 PM
He wasn’t great imo could score goals in the box but didn’t contribute enough to the team all round, was happy enough he left wish him well

The 90+2
10-10-2019, 10:14 PM
He wasn’t great imo could score goals in the box but didn’t contribute enough to the team all round, was happy enough he left wish him well

He’s much better than the loan Vegan we have up top at the moment. Even Milligan would stroll into the side just now and I never thought I would miss him.

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2019, 10:17 PM

That same “ raffle winner “ scored 8 goals from 15 appearances four of which were as a sub scoring the winner at Ibrox also scoring in victories at Easter Road versus Celtic Hearts and Kilmarnock ( who were flying at the time ) and add a hatrick versus The Rangers in that same season

We currently have a centre forward who has scored 2 goals from 12 appearances and looks as though he hasn’t even bought a ticket for the raffle and could not buy a goal

SMAXXA
10-10-2019, 10:20 PM
He’s much better than the loan Vegan we have up top at the moment. Even Milligan would stroll into the side just now and I never thought I would miss him.

Id say Doidge has more to his game than McLaren but they are really different JM is a poacher where CD is a more all round striker (who canny score 😂). I actually think CD will turn out ok, McLaren couldn’t play as a 1 up top anyway and when not scoring offered nowt.

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2019, 10:30 PM
That might be true at Aberdeen that day but his performances that season against Killie, Hearts and Rangers were very very good.

The chat of him being awful is way ott.
:agree:

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2019, 10:33 PM

GoalsMcGinley
11-10-2019, 06:19 AM
I’d take him over Doidge every single day of the week. A striker is paid to score goals. We get far to carried away with what a striker does outside the box these days. They’re job is to score goals. 15/20 a season minimum in my opinion. MacLaren would’ve gotten is that had he been fit. His movement in and around the box with Scotty Allan playing passes. That’s got goals all over it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peevemor
11-10-2019, 06:48 AM
I’d take him over Doidge every single day of the week. A striker is paid to score goals. We get far to carried away with what a striker does outside the box these days. They’re job is to score goals. 15/20 a season minimum in my opinion. MacLaren would’ve gotten is that had he been fit. His movement in and around the box with Scotty Allan playing passes. That’s got goals all over it!

Did we ever play MacLaren up front on his own? I rated him when he was fit, but I think he'd be a disaster playing the role that Doidge is currently in.

Compare Doidge to MacLaren after he's had a few games alongside a striking partner (Flo).

GoalsMcGinley
11-10-2019, 06:55 AM
Did we ever play MacLaren up front on his own? I rated him when he was fit, but I think he'd be a disaster playing the role that Doidge is currently in.

Compare Doidge to MacLaren after he's had a few games alongside a striking partner (Flo).

Doidge could play up top with Messi and still look like a fish out of water.

Peevemor
11-10-2019, 07:02 AM

OK. If you say so...

ian cruise
11-10-2019, 07:04 AM

Only one way to find out #announceMessi

GoalsMcGinley
11-10-2019, 07:06 AM
OK. If you say so...

Have you seen anything to suggest any different? £350,000 wasted

Peevemor
11-10-2019, 07:12 AM
Have you seen anything to suggest any different? £350,000 wasted

When did you see MacLaren playing as a lone striker for Hibs?

SMAXXA
11-10-2019, 07:16 AM
McLaren scores a few goals against utter dross and suddenly we should have kept him, people have short memories he would be brutal in this team as he was poor in better Hibs teams

GoalsMcGinley
11-10-2019, 07:22 AM

Yer totally missing the point.

Peevemor
11-10-2019, 07:29 AM
Yer totally missing the point.

Not at all, it's just some of the nonsense people come out with on here for the sake of having a cheap dig at the team/players is becoming more & more tiresome.

calumhibee1
11-10-2019, 07:31 AM
Not at all, it's just some of the nonsense people come out with on here for the sake of having a cheap dig at the team/players is becoming more & more tiresome.

Thread about Jamie Maclaren scoring a hatrick? Perfect opportunity to slate Christian Doidge.

Allant1981
11-10-2019, 07:42 AM
Maclaren was awful

He was hardly awful

Liam6270
11-10-2019, 08:21 AM
MaClaren was weak, slow, never looked confident taking a penalty and just offered nothing. He Sclaffed a couple of goals and I could not understand the clamour to bring him back but hey he scored a hat-trick against Nepal so let’s all pretend he was an amazing striker

bigwheel
11-10-2019, 08:24 AM
MaClaren was weak, slow, never looked confident taking a penalty and just offered nothing. He Sclaffed a couple of goals and I could not understand the clamour to bring him back but hey he scored a hat-trick against Nepal so let’s all pretend he was an amazing striker

No one is suggesting he is an “amazing” striker - you on the other hand are suggesting a decent pro, who plays international football is “awful”....

You are wrong ...

Allant1981
11-10-2019, 08:41 AM

Everything about your post is utter nonsense

Forza Fred
11-10-2019, 09:11 AM
When Jamie was with us, I got pelters for suggesting that he was neither a superstar, or useless, but a reasonable player.

That is still my opinion.

He will score a few against lesser teams, but struggle to score against good defences.

I reckon if he played in the Scottish Championship he’d go close to being top scorer, but against tighter Premier Division defences would struggle a bit.

Allant1981
11-10-2019, 09:25 AM
When Jamie was with us, I got pelters for suggesting that he was neither a superstar, or useless, but a reasonable player.

He will score a few against lesser teams, but struggle to score against good defences.

I reckon if he played in the Scottish Championship he’d go close to being top scorer, but against tighter Premier Division defences would struggle a bit.

Double figures in his first season would suggest he didnt struggle, his last season yes but that was down to a variety of different factors, as you say he is never going to be a world beater but think he done enough to suggest he would be more than capable of scoring up here and is a much better option than what we have as reserve just now

BILLYHIBS
11-10-2019, 09:51 AM

Hmmm!

Surprised at you Fred

5 goals from 9 appearances so far for Melbourne City

76 career goals from 139 professional appearances to date

4 goals from 14 appearances for Australia

All of the above suggest he is more than decent

OK not a world beater not the best outside the box but going on the above all he does is score goals

What we would give for someone that could score goals?

That is why good goalscorers cost money and I am sure Melbourne City did not get him on the cheap

Source:

Wiki

The Baldmans Comb
11-10-2019, 07:02 PM
Yep, as I said, they all play at a high level😉

Haha top man. I missed that completely first time around. Very good.

Hibs have had far worse strikers than Jamie McLaren who chipped in with a few in big games even if long term it didn't work out.

Did Valdas Trakys, Shefti Kuqi or Eddie "The Tank
score any goals at all in their equally short spells with the club.

Forza Fred
11-10-2019, 10:16 PM
Hmmm!

Surprised at you Fred

5 goals from 9 appearances so far for Melbourne City

76 career goals from 139 professional appearances to date

4 goals from 14 appearances for Australia

All of the above suggest he is more than decent

OK not a world beater not the best outside the box but going on the above all he does is score goals

What we would give for someone that could score goals?

That is why good goalscorers cost money and I am sure Melbourne City did not get him on the cheap

Source:

Wiki

He’s ok in Oz, but struggles against the tight marking of international teams..well most of them!

He’ll do well in Oz, in the A League where the defences tend to ‘stand off’ strikers.

His third goal against Nepal though, was technically very impressive, so credit where it’s due.

My observation is not a personal slight at Jamie btw, just how I have assessed his fitba performances over the years.

Jamie is a top bloke, and I wish him every success.

neil7908
12-10-2019, 04:04 AM
Jamie is a penalty box striker. He won't score many outside the box or get loads of assists and he'd likely struggle in this Hibs team.

Then again, we're terrible going forward so I suspect better players than him would too.

But I reckon he'd have put away a couple of the changes Doidge had at Aberdeen.

Players like Jamie aren't in vogue right now as managers want a lone striker who can hold the ball up. But the guy scored a hatrick against Sevco FFS and people are saying he's awful!

Winston Ingram
12-10-2019, 05:08 AM
That same “ raffle winner “ scored 8 goals from 15 appearances four of which were as a sub scoring the winner at Ibrox also scoring in victories at Easter Road versus Celtic Hearts and Kilmarnock ( who were flying at the time ) and add a hatrick versus The Rangers in that same season

We currently have a centre forward who has scored 2 goals from 12 appearances and looks as though he hasn’t even bought a ticket for the raffle and could not buy a goal

You’ve really just backed me up and just provided examples of his poaching. It’s all he his. His 1st touch is shocking, he can’t beat a man, he can’t hold it up, he’s not quick, he’s weak, he can’t link the play.

He demonstrated all of this in his 1st spell as well. Particularly away from home were the only contribution he ever made for us was that penalty ‘winner’ at Ibrox which McGregor should’ve threw his cap on. The game against Celtic at home he was almost as bad as Aberdeen but the only difference was he converted the tap in opportunity that he missed at Pittodrie.

I genuinely can’t think of another player currently in world football like him. Pure Poachers like him just don’t exist anymore. Those poacher only types that have a record of 1 goal in every 2 or 3 games don’t exist anymore. Coaches worked out in the 80’s and 90’s that in games they aren’t scoring they’re as good as a man short, meaning that your playing more than half your games with 10 men.

One thing is for certain is binning him will not come back to bite us.

BILLYHIBS
12-10-2019, 08:06 AM
You’ve really just backed me up and just provided examples of his poaching. It’s all he his. His 1st touch is shocking, he can’t beat a man, he can’t hold it up, he’s not quick, he’s weak, he can’t link the play.

He demonstrated all of this in his 1st spell as well. Particularly away from home were the only contribution he ever made for us was that penalty ‘winner’ at Ibrox which McGregor should’ve threw his cap on. The game against Celtic at home he was almost as bad as Aberdeen but the only difference was he converted the tap in opportunity that he missed at Pittodrie.

I genuinely can’t think of another player currently in world football like him. Pure Poachers like him just don’t exist anymore. Those poacher only types that have a record of 1 goal in every 2 or 3 games don’t exist anymore. Coaches worked out in the 80’s and 90’s that in games they aren’t scoring they’re as good as a man short, meaning that your playing more than half your games with 10 men.

One thing is for certain is binning him will not come back to bite us.
Absolute rubbish!

One example his header in the 5-5 versus The Rangers was a carbon copy of the McNulty chance missed whilst playing for Scotland and repeated whilst playing for HIBS the following Saturday

Also his goal versus Hearts in the Natural Order Derby where he showed brilliant ball control and tenacity beating three Hearts defenders to slot away the second

Looking back at that Season it is a widely held belief that Potter got the better of Lenny psychologically and if he had played our normal team at Tiny we would have beat Hearts nae bother

Please also see my reply to FF re his career goals scored to date

You are correct he would not score goals under Hecky the way he sets us up i

We have no width penetration or pace

It is not Jamie who is gash it is Heckys HIBS team

He is better off where he is back home scoring goals for fun at a club where he is appreciated and loved by the fans

Opinions eh?

Since452
12-10-2019, 08:10 AM
Boyle back might help the width and pace tbf

BILLYHIBS
12-10-2019, 08:11 AM
Jamie is a penalty box striker. He won't score many outside the box or get loads of assists and he'd likely struggle in this Hibs team.

Then again, we're terrible going forward so I suspect better players than him would too.

But I reckon he'd have put away a couple of the changes Doidge had at Aberdeen.

Players like Jamie aren't in vogue right now as managers want a lone striker who can hold the ball up. But the guy scored a hatrick against Sevco FFS and people are saying he's awful!

OK!

BILLYHIBS
12-10-2019, 08:12 AM
He’s ok in Oz, but struggles against the tight marking of international teams..well most of them!

He’ll do well in Oz, in the A League where the defences tend to ‘stand off’ strikers.

His third goal against Nepal though, was technically very impressive, so credit where it’s due.

My observation is not a personal slight at Jamie btw, just how I have assessed his fitba performances over the years.

Jamie is a top bloke, and I wish him every success.
👍🏾

Bishop Hibee
12-10-2019, 02:19 PM
We’ve had some utter dross up front over the years who’d make MacLaren look like Aguero.

DavidDavidGray
12-10-2019, 04:23 PM

He only scored for us against top premiership sides. 1 against Kilmarnock, Hearts, Celtic, Aberdeen and 4 goals against Rangers. Only goal against a non top six side he scored for us was against Partick Thistle. Boy showed up in big games

J-C
12-10-2019, 07:43 PM
I watched Western Sydney v Central Coast the other morning and the standard was Scottish Championship level at best, probably nearer League 1.

Forza Fred
12-10-2019, 09:42 PM
I watched Western Sydney v Central Coast the other morning and the standard was Scottish Championship level at best, probably nearer League 1.

To be fair, that game was Indeed very much a poor one.

Several WSW first teamers
were missing,

WSW impressed in the pre season cup and I expected big things from them, but in this opening day of the new season match they looked like a bunch of individual players who had never met before.

TECHNICALLY I think Oz fitba is a bit ahead of Scotland, but rarely is it played at the same pace of a SPFL game.

It’s not the EPL or La Liga by any means, but the example you use to judge the standard, was IMHO not a true reflection of the general standard
.....the way both teams played in that particular match, I think Cowdenbeath would beat them!

BILLYHIBS
12-10-2019, 09:45 PM

were missing,

WSW impressed in the pre season cup and I expected big things from them, but in this opening day of the new season match they looked like a bunch of individual players who had never met before.

TECHNICALLY I think Oz fitba is a bit ahead of Scotland, but rarely is it played at the same pace of a SPFL game.

It’s not the EPL or La Liga by any means, but the example you use to judge the standard, was IMHO not a true reflection of the general standard
.....the way both teams played in that particular match, I think Cowdenbeath would beat them!

Thats ma boy!

:thumbsup:

J-C
13-10-2019, 07:29 AM

were missing,

Don't always get a chance to watch Oz football as I'm usually getting ready to go to work but caught this half hour of it and as I said wasn't overly impressed but as you see more of it I'll take your word for it being slightly better than the game I saw.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-10-2019, 06:58 PM
Scored again today in a 7-1 win.

Billy Whizz
15-10-2019, 07:02 PM

He did. The standard in their group is horrific, even Katie Price has a team in it

BILLYHIBS
15-10-2019, 07:20 PM

Was only on the pitch for the final 12 minutes

My hero! 😁

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-10-2019, 09:38 PM
He did. The standard in their group is horrific, even Katie Price has a team in it

Jordan 3 Nipples 0

Winston Ingram
16-10-2019, 06:19 AM

I watch a lot of it as it's on BT early Saturday mornings. I would say that assessment was spot on.

Winston Ingram
16-10-2019, 06:22 AM

He played in there a 1-0 home defeat v St Johnstone in November last year. He was truly awful.

Peevemor
16-10-2019, 06:25 AM
He played in there a 1-0 home defeat v St Johnstone in November last year. He was truly awful.

I don't remember that but it doesn't surprise me. He's not the player for that role.

BILLYHIBS
16-10-2019, 06:42 AM
I don't remember that but it doesn't surprise me. He's not the player for that role.

Neither was Jase both need strikers to play off

Winston Ingram
16-10-2019, 07:20 AM

Neither was Jase both need strikers to play off

Jason is obviously a much better player but the fact they can only play in a front 2 is why the pair of them will never succeed at any decent level.

Top-level teams don't play with a front 2 anymore.

BILLYHIBS
16-10-2019, 07:36 AM
Jason is obviously a much better player but the fact they can only play in a front 2 is why the pair of them will never succeed at any decent level.

Top-level teams don't play with a front 2 anymore.

I was impressed at the improvement to Jases all round game and work rate when he returned as a Hun it was just a shame they elected to play him out wide I was hoping he would return to HIBS but sadly it was not to be

I was also pleased to read that you watch the A League I agree it is not the highest standard but maybe watching Jamie scoring goals for fun for Melbourne City ( he is already 5:9) you might change your opinion of him I know that is perhaps hoping for too much :greengrin

Barman Stanton
16-10-2019, 07:45 AM
Really is disappointing how much some of our support stick the boot into former players. I agree with the opinion that McLaren was neither amazing or terrible. A decent striker who I wish we still had.

Peevemor
16-10-2019, 07:59 AM
Really is disappointing how much some of our support stick the boot into former players. I agree with the opinion that McLaren was neither amazing or terrible. A decent striker who I wish we still had.

I don't think he'd get much game time under PH.

Barman Stanton
16-10-2019, 08:17 AM
I don't think he'd get much game time under PH.

Possibly not. He worked best as part of a front 2. Still don't get some of the abuse he is receiving here.

Winston Ingram
16-10-2019, 08:19 AM

I was impressed at the improvement to Jases all round game and work rate when he returned as a Hun it was just a shame they elected to play him out wide I was hoping he would return to HIBS but sadly it was not to be

I was also pleased to read that you watch the A League I agree it is not the highest standard but maybe watching Jamie scoring goals for fun for Melbourne City ( he is already 5:9) you might change your opinion of him I know that is perhaps hoping for too much :greengrin

I watch plenty of it. I'm up really early most days and it's cracking that you can watch a live game early morning. I've seen a lot of his games since he's been back (his last league game was April) He scored 5 in his first 4 (3 tap ins and 2 penalties)and didn't score in the following 4 games.

I watched a game where they won 2-0 away at Sydney where Shayon Harrison who was on loan from Spurs scored 2. Maclaren was awful. Very few touches as per usual and when he did get it, it either bounced off him or he gave it away.

Peevemor
16-10-2019, 08:33 AM
Possibly not. He worked best as part of a front 2. Still don't get some of the abuse he is receiving here.

Neither do I. He did fine in his first half season and when he came back he was carrying his back injury and his striking partner (when they eventually managed to play together) wasn't 100% fit either. Add to that the difference in quality in midfield - it was always going to be complicated.

worcesterhibby
16-10-2019, 08:43 AM
Neither do I. He did fine in his first half season and when he came back he was carrying his back injury and his striking partner (when they eventually managed to play together) wasn't 100% fit either. Add to that the difference in quality in midfield - it was always going to be complicated.

most sensible post yet. Mclaren and Kamberi obviously enjoyed playing together and with McGinn and Dylan in Midfield plus Boyler at his best they fired on all cylinders up front. The fact that they didn't really click the following season is not surprising considering we lost the heart of our midfield and Mclaren was carrying an injury. Jamie seems to be very much a confidence player (as most strikers are) and I don't think he could cope with the abuse he got when the goals stopped coming. In an attacking team that creates lots of chances, Jamie will get goals, he might not contribute a lot else though and he needs to be played in a two. With all that in mind, it was probably the right thing that he left, but that doesn't mean he is not a good player.

The 5-5 against Rangers is the best drawn match I have ever attended in my life..so thanks Jamie, much appreciated.

Barman Stanton
16-10-2019, 08:46 AM

Yeah, I read an interview recently when he was talking about his injury and lack of form that season. Its a shame how quickly some of the support turned against him though. Some forget you are supposed to support the team and players through bad spells as well as good.

BILLYHIBS
16-10-2019, 11:44 AM
I watch plenty of it. I'm up really early most days and it's cracking that you can watch a live game early morning. I've seen a lot of his games since he's been back (his last league game was April) He scored 5 in his first 4 (3 tap ins and 2 penalties)and didn't score in the following 4 games.

I watched a game where they won 2-0 away at Sydney where Shayon Harrison who was on loan from Spurs scored 2. Maclaren was awful. Very few touches as per usual and when he did get it, it either bounced off him or he gave it away.

:thumbsup: