08-10-2019, 02:17 PM
Hardly surprising, wonder who will be next

Give them Hecky asking as they give us Mcgeough and McNulty 👍

Diclonius
08-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Will we move now?

SouthMoroccoStu
08-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Now Hibs may have a decision to make....

Diclonius
08-10-2019, 02:27 PM

In a heartbeat. He's the best young Scottish manager in our price range and he'd jump at the chance to work with us. Hearts and Aberdeen will be thinking the same thing. DO IT.

Hermit Crab
08-10-2019, 02:27 PM

Its an easy decision, we don't want him. He's failed at Sunderland with a huge budget. We need an experienced Moyes type manager.

Diclonius
08-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Its an easy decision, we don't want him. He's failed at Sunderland with a huge budget. We need an experienced Moyes type manager.

Defensive managers don't fit with Hibs.

Hermit Crab
08-10-2019, 02:29 PM
In a heartbeat. He's the best young Scottish manager in our price range and he'd jump at the chance to work with us. Hearts and Aberdeen will be thinking the same thing. DO IT.

I'd be underwhelmed and disappointed if we went for him.

Hermit Crab
08-10-2019, 02:31 PM
Defensive managers don't fit with Hibs.

McLeish? Mowbray? They were defenders and did no too bad.

Diclonius
08-10-2019, 02:31 PM
McLeish? Mowbray? They were defenders and did no too bad.

Managers who play defensive football. See Williamson, Calderwood, Mixu, the incumbent.

Smartie
08-10-2019, 02:32 PM

Moyes laid the foundations for the subsequent failure of 3 other managers at Sunderland, and would easily be the number one most disliked manager in their history. They were nothing like a basket case when he took over and he very quickly reduced them to one.

You can't seriously dismiss Ross for failing at Sunderland then suggest Moyes as an alternative.

That said, I'm not entirely convinced by Ross. He did well at St Mirren but all of the criticisms we have of Heckingbottom the Sunderland fans have levelled at Ross.

Hermit Crab
08-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Managers who play defensive football. See Williamson, Calderwood, Mixu, the incumbent.

Don't remember Moyes Everton and Preston sides being defensive, anything but!

SMAXXA
08-10-2019, 02:35 PM
No thanks his pish brand of football and negative style I’d rather we keep Hecky. At least he got out of league 1 probably wore less budget

Ozyhibby
08-10-2019, 02:36 PM
As Moyes is out of our price range I think we should def be looking at Jack Ross. He done an amazing job at St. Mirren.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
08-10-2019, 02:36 PM

Did Moyes not play 460 a good few times at Everton a few times before Dr Football decided to give it a go?

Hermit Crab
08-10-2019, 02:39 PM
Did Moyes not play 460 a good few times at Everton a few times before Dr Football decided to give it a go?

He managed 518 games at Everton, won 218, drew 139 and lost 161. Thats decent.

JimBHibees
08-10-2019, 02:40 PM

Moyes wouldn't get out of bed for the wage Hibs could offer him.

JimBHibees
08-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Will we move now?

There was an article in one of the red tops recently I think which seemed to indicate we would consider him if he was punted. Is he clearly better than the current incumbent? Not so sure he is. Did well at Alloa and Buddies. Was his style of football good at these teams?

Heisenberg
08-10-2019, 02:45 PM
There was an article in one of the red tops recently I think which seemed to indicate we would consider him if he was punted. Is he clearly better than the current incumbent? Not so sure he is. Did well at Alloa and Buddies. Was his style of football good at these teams?

As far as I can remember he played good football at St Mirren. He’s managed to draw his way to the sack at Sunderland. Would take a punt on him but could be a risk.

we are hibs
08-10-2019, 02:48 PM
As far as I can remember he played good football at St Mirren. He’s managed to draw his way to the sack at Sunderland. Would take a punt on him but could be a risk.

Sunderland fans seemed to say his football was negative. And thats in a league they should be winning and winning in style.

Smartie
08-10-2019, 02:50 PM

It certainly is.

His record at Preston and Everton is good, no doubt about that.

I don't think he'd entertain the notion of joining us, and I'm confident that if he did he'd be an absolute disaster.

Hermit Crab
08-10-2019, 02:50 PM

Thats the thing right, he's only just recently stopped getting his contract paid up by Man Utd, he will be set for life. Why not come to Hibs, get us Europe, maybe a chance at a trophy and build up his reputation again and maybe get a move to a bigger club after a few years. He's not going to get a high profile job in England in the EPL or the Championship at the moment.

Hermit Crab
08-10-2019, 02:52 PM
It certainly is.

His record at Preston and Everton is good, no doubt about that.

I don't think he'd entertain the notion of joining us, and I'm confident that if he did he'd be an absolute disaster.

A bigger disaster than what we are going through just now?

Diclonius
08-10-2019, 02:54 PM
Moyes' first press conference: "I'm not sure we can realistically compete with Aberdeen and Hearts".

I wasn't old enough to remember the Alex Miller era but I'm pretty confident if we hired Moyes it'd be the closest I'd ever come to witnessing something like it.

bingo70
08-10-2019, 02:56 PM

When was the last time Moyes earned anything? We can more than match his current salary.

Lot of similarities between Moyes and when Clarke took the Killie job imo.

Hermit Crab
08-10-2019, 02:56 PM
Moyes' first press conference: "I'm not sure we can realistically compete with Aberdeen and Hearts".

I wasn't old enough to remember the Alex Miller era but I'm pretty confident if we hired Moyes it'd be the closest I'd ever come to witnessing something like it.

The football we are playing just now is a tribute to the Alex Miller period.

JimBHibees
08-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Sunderland fans seemed to say his football was negative. And thats in a league they should be winning and winning in style.

Have watched a couple of games on the box last season of Sunderland and they didn't exactly knock you over with the quality of play to be fair. Difficult league though as teams will sit in against them.

bingo70
08-10-2019, 02:58 PM

Had Alex Miller ever been a successful manager at a higher level than Hibs when he got the job?

Moyes is a very good manager, he’d be a great fit for us just now imo.

JimBHibees
08-10-2019, 02:58 PM
Thats the thing right, he's only just recently stopped getting his contract paid up by Man Utd, he will be set for life. Why not come to Hibs, get us Europe, maybe a chance at a trophy and build up his reputation again and maybe get a move to a bigger club after a few years. He's not going to get a high profile job in England in the EPL or the Championship at the moment.

Ok sold. Get Moysey in now. :greengrin

Hermit Crab
08-10-2019, 02:59 PM
When was the last time Moyes earned anything? We can more than match his current salary.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/david-moyes-manchester-united-contract-16510168

He's set for life.

JimBHibees
08-10-2019, 03:00 PM

HC above said his Man Utd wage just stopped recently. Wouldn't have thought that would be the case if he then managed West Ham and Sunderland however wouldn't rule it out either given the ridiculous wages in the EPL.

Hermit Crab
08-10-2019, 03:02 PM
Ok sold. Get Moysey in now. :greengrin

By the way, its not as far fetched as it initially seems. I think he'd do well for us, played up here for Dunfermline and Celtic and Hamilton, he knows the game.

Brightside
08-10-2019, 03:02 PM

Milk and Sugar?

Hibby soldier
08-10-2019, 03:05 PM
We have a manager thats going nowhere.............

JimBHibees
08-10-2019, 03:06 PM
By the way, its not as far fetched as it initially seems. I think he'd do well for us, played up here for Dunfermline and Celtic and Hamilton, he knows the game.

Will totally depend on his ambition and probably family situation. Would think an easier move would be China or Far East for a short period for lucrative bucks. Surprised he didn't seem to be interested in Scotland job. Would think it unlikely to be honest.

CMurdoch
08-10-2019, 03:07 PM
I saw a good thread on JKB yesterday where one guy suggested that Ross was on the way out at Sunderland and asked his fellow posters if Hearts should get him in to replace Levein.

A wag replied he would be happy with Diana Ross.
Then there was a "Chain Reaction" and wag 2 reminded wag 1 that Diana Ross misses penalties.
Lovely stuff.

overdrive
08-10-2019, 03:10 PM

Might have just been paper talk on the back of his odds at the bookies, but he seemed to be up for the Killie job.

Smartie
08-10-2019, 03:10 PM
A bigger disaster than what we are going through just now?

A variation on the same.

He'd turn up thinking he was doing us all a favour, moan when his budget didn't match Rangers and Celtic's, sign a load of lower league English dross and blame Scottish football for being crap when he failed.

Hibee87
08-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Pretty sure Moyes said he would be interested in the Kili job when Clarke left did he not? Assume he would be just as interested in Hibs (Or Hearts should the Dr finally punt specky) so who knows. Move quick I say, as IMO, he would be a decent manager for us.

overdrive
08-10-2019, 03:12 PM
I saw a good thread on JKB yesterday where one guy suggested that Ross was on the way out at Sunderland and asked his fellow posters if Hearts should get him in to replace Levein.

A wag replied he would be happy with Diana Ross.
Then there was a "Chain Reaction" and wag 2 reminded wag 1 that Diana Ross misses penalties.
Lovely stuff.

I don’t think he’d go to Hearts if Levein was still there as DoF given Levein sacked him from Hearts in a rather hypocritical manner.

HFC93
08-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Anyone who thinks Moyes might be the next manager needs to stop sniffing glue.

CloudSquall
08-10-2019, 03:22 PM
I went right off Moyes when a few years ago he started pitching himself for the West Ham job when the manager at the time hadn't even been fired yet.

I'm "meh" on going after Jack Ross.

CMurdoch
08-10-2019, 03:23 PM
I don’t think he’d go to Hearts if Levein was still there as DoF given Levein sacked him from Hearts in a rather hypocritical manner.

Ross was sacked for doing a Stubbs ...............................and i don't mean winning the Scottish Cup.

CMurdoch
08-10-2019, 03:25 PM
I saw a fun thread on JKB yesterday where one guy suggested that Ross was on the way out at Sunderland and asked his fellow posters if Hearts should get him in to replace Levein.

A wag replied he would be happy if they went for Diana Ross.
Thereafter lots of puns and plays on Supreme etc

:top marks JKB.

bingo70
08-10-2019, 03:32 PM

Where do you think his next job will be?

It won’t be in England’s too 2 divisions imo so it’s either Scotland or somewhere like India or the MLS. If he was going to go there he’d already have gone.

His next job will be about rebuilding his reputation imo

lyonhibs
08-10-2019, 03:33 PM
I don't want either of them at the club but the notion that Ross has the track record to be considered preferable to Moyes is frying my brain, I must admit.

matty_f
08-10-2019, 03:36 PM
I think Ross's record in the Scottish game would make him a serious contender for the job here. I'd be happy to see him take over, not least because Hearts shafted him so I would reckon he'd have no problems being motivated to beat them... Not that that should be the main reason, it's just a nice wee bonus.

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2019, 03:43 PM
i'd take him if he brought Dylan with him, he turned Dylan's head, then after they are both here sack jack ross, just for turning Dylan's head in the first place :greengrin

bigwheel
08-10-2019, 03:44 PM

Instantly filled with late 1970s memories
[emoji23]

JDT
08-10-2019, 03:49 PM
Have I missed something? Heckingbottom is still our manager and until he leaves it's pointless saying I would or wouldn't have him.

Vault Boy
08-10-2019, 03:51 PM
Have I missed something? Heckingbottom is still our manager and until he leaves it's pointless saying I would or wouldn't have him.

It's not unreasonable to talk about potential replacements for a manager who is under genuine pressure and deserved scrutiny.

SingaporeHibs
08-10-2019, 03:59 PM
Jack Ross has a few years management experience behind him without achieving anything of note. Failing to get Sunderland promotion out a poor league with the relatively huge resources he had was certainly a failure. Could be forgiven in season one but this season isn’t looking any better. Not sure why we would consider him other than the fact he is Scottish.

MWHIBBIES
08-10-2019, 04:01 PM

He is literally the only manager to qualify for the champions league with negative goal difference in England. His Everton team were pretty awful to watch at times.

He'd be a good appointment on paper but well out our budget and not a sure thing by any means.

Liberal Hibby
08-10-2019, 04:09 PM
We have a manager thats going nowhere.............

Hmmm...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49966021

jacomo
08-10-2019, 04:10 PM
He is literally the only manager to qualify for the champions league with negative goal difference in England. His Everton team were pretty awful to watch at times.

He'd be a good appointment on paper but well out our budget and not a sure thing by any means.

Moyes’ Everton were often painful to watch - but effective.

He kept West Ham up - just - with the same approach.

Whether he’s still an effective manager or not, not sure, but his style certainly won’t excite the Hibs purist.

Unseen work
08-10-2019, 04:19 PM
I would hate Moyes.

Jack Ross would excite me. Young and has a very good knowledge of the Scottish game, also knows how big a club we are and what the fans expect.

He also signed and was linked with a lot of players that imo we should have been after too.

Box 17
Where do you think his next job will be?

It won’t be in England’s too 2 divisions imo so it’s either Scotland or somewhere like India or the MLS. If he was going to go there he’d already have gone.

His next job will be about rebuilding his reputation imo
Where will his next job be?

In the Sky studio getting a lot less grief than he would be in the Hibs dugout - and a bigger pay packet than we could offer.

The 90+2
Make it happen hibs.

Since452
08-10-2019, 04:20 PM
Wouldn't want Jack Ross anywhere near Hibs.

Unseen work
08-10-2019, 04:21 PM
Hmmm...

Very intersting

Bostonhibby
08-10-2019, 04:23 PM
Very interstingYep, they really should be after someone with a good Yorkshire sounding name to restore Barnsley to their proper status.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

SMAXXA
08-10-2019, 04:29 PM
Make it happen hibs.

Why?

Scouse Hibee
08-10-2019, 04:30 PM
Ross or Moyes meh

overdrive
08-10-2019, 04:33 PM
Ross was sacked for doing a Stubbs ...............................and i don't mean winning the Scottish Cup.

Yep and Levein did similar long before Stubbs and Ross which must have been galling for Ross given Levein sacked him for it.

The 90+2
08-10-2019, 04:40 PM
Why?

He’s a highly respected coach who worked wonders at Alloa and St Mirren. He would arrive with a point to prove after Sunderland and I feel he would do a very good job. We just know it won’t happen though and he will be a great success his next job in this league.

Sir David Gray
08-10-2019, 04:48 PM
I'd take Jack Ross if he was interested.

500miles
08-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Has this got a bit of the Jackie Macnamara's about it?

H18S NX
08-10-2019, 05:20 PM
I'd take Jack Ross if he was interested....I would take Jack Sparrow,rather than the incumbent we have.

Col2
08-10-2019, 05:20 PM
We are kidding ourselves if we think the board have the foresight, the willingness to take a risk and spend the money required to sack PH and appoint another manager.

We just don’t do that sort of thing. Aberdeen might but they buy better players.

Slowly does it, nice and safe, we might still get a top 6 finish, give him time....

Ozyhibby
08-10-2019, 05:21 PM
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/who-jack-ross-detailed-look-14685725

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191008/d42c59e58a1df7040db343a0e0292214.png

Sir David Gray
08-10-2019, 05:26 PM
...I would take Jack Sparrow,rather than the incumbent we have.

I was going to say I'd take Jonathan Ross but yours is better. :greengrin

SunshineOnLeith
08-10-2019, 05:29 PM
I'd be underwhelmed and disappointed if we went for him.

You'd be underwhelmed and disappointed if we signed Ronaldo.

Ozyhibby
08-10-2019, 05:41 PM

Past his best tbf.

calumhibee1
08-10-2019, 05:43 PM

:agree:

He’s no a patch on Steven Naismith.

vuefrom1875
08-10-2019, 05:58 PM

No ta!

WestCoastHibby
08-10-2019, 06:07 PM
I’d say Jack Ross would be the right guy. Despite being sacked by a basket case club he’s shown that he can get results.
Heckingbottomoftheleague gets results too. Negative ones

Vault Boy
08-10-2019, 06:13 PM
FWIW I would take the outgoing Stendel from Barnsley. Did well to get them promoted and seems to play good football. Crime that they've sacked him after not backing properly him in the summer.

WestCoastHibby
08-10-2019, 06:16 PM
Milk and Sugar?

Bourbons or custard creams......biscuit tin mentality

Speedway
08-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Maybe we’ll see Potter move back upstairs quickly now.

bingo70
08-10-2019, 06:20 PM
FWIW I would take the outgoing Stendel from Barnsley. Did well to get them promoted and seems to play good football. Crime that they've sacked him after not backing properly him in the summer.

Barnsley fans are raging that he’s left, sounds like his stock is still quite high so he’ll probably get another job in England or Germany again.

Unseen work
08-10-2019, 06:21 PM
I can’t help but think not going for Ross would be a massive opportunity missed.

judas
08-10-2019, 06:25 PM
No thanks.

Not sure what the Jack love in is all about

Keith_M
08-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Hmmm...

"Barnsley have not won since beating Fulham 1-0 at home on the opening day of the season."

Sounds familiar

Ozyhibby
08-10-2019, 06:43 PM
No thanks.

Because he took over a St. Mirren team bottom of the league after 8 games with zero wins and got them safely up to 7th and then won the league with them the next season, scoring more goals in the process than we had managed the year before.
The style of play was said to be easy on the eye.
We could do with a bit of that.
Failing at Sunderland isn’t that uncommon.
He knows the Scottish game and is available and we desperately need a new manager.

Scouse Hibee
08-10-2019, 06:52 PM

Fat or thin?

Squealing pig
08-10-2019, 06:55 PM
Don’t particularly like jack Ross as every player we were in for he seemed to come in with a bid , sign we probably wouldn’t improve . #stubbsy 👏

WestStandhibee
08-10-2019, 06:57 PM
Because he took over a St. Mirren team bottom of the league after 8 games with zero wins and got them safely up to 7th and then won the league with them the next season, scoring more goals in the process than we had managed the year before.
He knows the Scottish game and is available and we desperately need a new manager.

Failing to get out of League 1 with a £4m international striker is pretty appalling though

Also to quickly compare respective achievements at that level:

Jack Ross - failed to get promoted from League 1, lost EFL trophy final
Hecky - successfully got promoted from League 1 via playoffs, won EFL trophy

Iggy Pope
08-10-2019, 07:08 PM

She won’t let him upstairs until he’s finished downstairs.

Ozyhibby
08-10-2019, 07:09 PM
Failing to get out of League 1 with a £4m international striker is pretty appalling though

Also to quickly compare respective achievements at that level:

Jack Ross - failed to get promoted from League 1, lost EFL trophy final
Hecky - successfully got promoted from League 1 via playoffs, won EFL trophy

Derek McInnes failed in England as well but I’m pretty sure Aberdeen are happy they went for him.
I assume you mean Will Grigg? I don’t rate him that highly, spent most of his career in league 1. And the £4m fee just shows how inflated that market is.

judas
08-10-2019, 07:13 PM

and remind me. What was this league that Ross so excelled in?

SMAXXA
08-10-2019, 07:22 PM
First real big job and he’s failed. Shades of the Stubbs maybe or there again he could go on to be brilliant depends how he does if a decent sized club take a punt on him as that’s what it would be a punt.

Slim Shady
08-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Id doubt Jack Ross would be very welcome back there after his last escapades!

Sammy7nil
08-10-2019, 07:50 PM
First real big job and he’s failed. Shades of the Stubbs maybe or there again he could go on to be brilliant depends how he does if a decent sized club take a punt on him as that’s what it would be a punt.

His record is good just too many draws change two of them to wins and he still in a job.

SMAXXA
08-10-2019, 08:03 PM
His record is good just too many draws change two of them to wins and he still in a job.

Change 2 of them to defeats and he doesn’t lol

Brooster
08-10-2019, 08:05 PM
Avoid him at all costs. Completely out of his depth in League 1 with massive resources.

SMAXXA
08-10-2019, 08:15 PM
I actually like Jack Ross and I hope he goes on to have a really good career, as long as it wasn’t with Hearts. If he was to become hibs Manager I’d support him as I have Hecky regardless if I think he’s right for the job or not.

For balance though if he was say English and got a couple of small teams promoted in the lower tiers then got the Sunderland gig and to be fair has failed there, would there be so many people wanting him to get the Hibs job, if suspect there would be hardly any.

It’s like Hecky, Appleton, Grayson and many others who have done ok with clubs outside the top leagues and I recon they are probably better placed than Ross is tbh. Not saying they are better but maybe more equipped? FWIW I wouldn’t choose any of the above at Hibs but equally I know we won’t manage to attract a big name if indeed Hecky was to leave. I’ve said before on this site I’d take Gary Holt, did great at Falkirk, Norwich and Livingston and for me offers more than any of the above.

Nicho87
08-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Stubbs
Jack Ross
Steve Robinson

In that order for me

Topographic Hibby
08-10-2019, 09:02 PM
She won’t let him upstairs until he’s finished downstairs.Well that made me laugh out loud, Iggy. :greengrin

The mental images fried onto my brain, on the other hand......:rolleyes:!!!

Sammy7nil
08-10-2019, 09:41 PM
Avoid him at all costs. Completely out of his depth in League 1 with massive resources.

Ha ha last minute loss in play off final "completely out of his depth" :tee hee::tee hee:

Just_Jimmy
08-10-2019, 09:53 PM
50% win record.
Lost only 7 games in his time.

If that's failure. Then sign me up.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

jacomo
08-10-2019, 10:13 PM
No thanks.

He did well at St Mirren

SMAXXA
08-10-2019, 10:14 PM
50% win record.
Lost only 7 games in his time.

If that's failure. Then sign me up.

Aye but draws don’t win you nothing, when your chasing a title or promotion. The size of the club Sunderland are and their still decent budget I’d imagine in comparison to most in league one he would have been expected to win more than half the games in that league imo.

They are still in league one and ask most fans and they will say that there has been little change from last season in his style and game management.

Draws killed them and started the season the same way which I think is what has been his biggest issue. Getting beat by Bolton didn’t help and I suspect if that was Hibs most on here would be wanting our manager gone if we were in that position trying to get back promoted, especially if it was Hecky 😉

Is It On....
08-10-2019, 10:24 PM
Which Edinburgh club blinks first?

Cardinal G
08-10-2019, 10:27 PM
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/who-jack-ross-detailed-look-14685725

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191008/d42c59e58a1df7040db343a0e0292214.png

As a sunderland season ticket holder I was behind Ross until recently, as his style of play was so far away from the above, it was sad ultimately to see how it ended on Saturday at Lincoln as I genuinely wanted him to succeed. I know he has the ability to come good but only if he reflects on his errors and learns from them.

Cardinal G
08-10-2019, 10:34 PM
Aye but draws don’t win you nothing, when your chasing a title or promotion. The size of the club Sunderland are and their still decent budget I’d imagine in comparison to most in league one he would have been expected to win more than half the games in that league imo.

They are still in league one and ask most fans and they will say that there has been little change from last season in his style and game management.

Draws killed them and started the season the same way which I think is what has been his biggest issue. Getting beat by Bolton didn’t help and I suspect if that was Hibs most on here would be wanting our manager gone if we were in that position trying to get back promoted, especially if it was Hecky 😉

The star quoted most and still valid by Ross is that since he took Sunderland job only Man City and Liverpool have lost less games in the English leagues, stats can be read in many ways with that hiding the fact that something like
nearly half were draws.

The Harp Awakes
08-10-2019, 10:57 PM
No thanks.

Kind of that way myself. Would be another Hecky type appointment I feel but admittedly with some knowledge of Scottish football.

I think our next Manager needs to be an experienced one who can sort out this mess quickly.

Just_Jimmy
08-10-2019, 10:59 PM

Draws killed them and started the season the same way which I think is what has been his biggest issue. Getting beat by Bolton didn’t help and I suspect if that was Hibs most on here would be wanting our manager gone if we were in that position trying to get back promoted, especially if it was Hecky [emoji6]Don't disagree but 50% win record is win 1 in 2. If he only lost 7 that means from 100 games. Won 50 lost 7 drew 43. I'm sure had more than 100 games.

That record or close to it would make the best Hibs manager ever record wise I'd guess.

Anyway. Stats lie too. Baw down and play and sign better standard of hungry young player and he'll do for me.

LeithMike
08-10-2019, 11:22 PM
Coming off the back of a failure and sacking, Jack Ross will probably be a bit down on self-belief. If he was to come into Hibs in a relegation battle does he have the mettle to turn it round at Hibs or will he be plagued by self-doubt.

People saying he did well at St Mirren should remember that Tommy Wright has done better st St Johnstone and we dont think he is the right fit.

I dont see any obvious candidates but think it's important that we get someone on the up with self-belief who can instil that into the players.

I'd probably go for Stevie Robinson too.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
08-10-2019, 11:32 PM
Coming off the back of a failure and sacking, Jack Ross will probably be a bit down on self-belief. If he was to come into Hibs in a relegation battle does he have the mettle to turn it round at Hibs or will he be plagued by self-doubt.

People saying he did well at St Mirren should remember that Tommy Wright has done better st St Johnstone and we dont think he is the right fit.

I dont see any obvious candidates but think it's important that we get someone on the up with self-belief who can instil that into the players.

I'd probably go for Stevie Robinson too.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Took over St. Mirren in a relegation battle and turned it around brilliantly.

Since452
09-10-2019, 05:25 AM
Did Ross do any better at St Mirren than Heckingbottom did at Barnsley?

Scouse Hibee
09-10-2019, 05:33 AM

Ross done far better at St Mirren than Stubbs did.

chrisski33
09-10-2019, 05:58 AM
Think any mananger will fail at Sunderland. Seems a poisoned chalice tbh

Onion
09-10-2019, 06:20 AM
All I want is Hibs Board to be positive, driven and do what's necessary to achieve reasonable goals. At the moment, the perception could not be further from that. Perception is they've made serious cock-up with a managerial appointment and for some reason (pride, finances, confidence) are stymied.

If Jack Ross is an opportunity and the Hibs Board think he could be the right man, then let's hope they find the balls, money or confidence to act. Continuing along this track with Heckingbottom is a slow death.

WestCoastHibby
09-10-2019, 06:41 AM
I was going to say I'd take Jonathan Ross but yours is better. :greengrin

Jonathon Ross would be out of our wage structure

WestCoastHibby
09-10-2019, 06:45 AM
Think any mananger will fail at Sunderland. Seems a poisoned chalice tbh
There’s the nub. Chris Coleman ( always over rated tbf ) lasted about six minutes there, Never worked out for Moyes etc.
If I had Sunderland on my CV i don’t think it’s that big a deal being sacked.
They have cloud cuckoo land ideas about themselves.
“Sleeping giant” my erse. Failed failed failed

Since90+2
09-10-2019, 06:50 AM
I think he'd be a brilliant appointment.

Sunderland are currently 3rd and 4 points behind 2nd place with a game in hand. It's not as if he's got them mid table or fighting relegation.

Gordy M
09-10-2019, 07:01 AM

Sunderland are currently 3rd and 4 points behind 2nd place with a game in hand. It's not as if he's got them mid table or fighting relegation.

Sunderland are way bigger than any other club in that league with a budget to match. They didnt finish in the promotion spots last year despite their financial advantage and getting beat 2-0 of a team who were just thumped 6-0 by Oxford was probably the final straw. If you think this place is bad re Heckingbottom then you should read the Sunderland fans opinions of Ross.

HFC93
09-10-2019, 07:08 AM

They're 6th and should be cruising that league. Failed to get them up last season as well with what will be the biggest budget in League 1.

Beefster
09-10-2019, 07:17 AM
I think this is the thing I love most about the period before and after a Head Coach is sacked at Hibs - no-one agreeing on what a decent next HC looks like.

Basically, no-one has a scooby how a HC in our price range is going to go. Folk would have written Mowbray, Stubbs and Lennon off before they took over and some folk would have been delighted with Williamson, Calderwood, Fenlon etc. I'm not immune from any of it either so, FWIW, my gut says that Ross would be a decent appointment.

Since90+2
09-10-2019, 07:20 AM
They're 6th and should be cruising that league. Failed to get them up last season as well with what will be the biggest budget in League 1.

The 3 teams in 3rd are on the same points, so technically their sitting on the 4th highest points total in the league.
In his first season he got to the playoff final where they lost 2-1 to Charlton with a 94th minute goal. That's better than any Sunderland manager has done in years.

He was fantastic with Alloa and St Mirren, won Manager of the year , and has done a decent enough job at a basket case of a football club.

He'd be a fantastic appointment.

Hibby Kay-Yay
09-10-2019, 07:28 AM
Surely their must be a temptation to consider Ross. He is already aligned to our recruitment signings and he would not cost any compensation now.

Just Hecky and his team to pay off, but will the board go for it or stick it out in the hope that Hecky comes good, even though the evidence is not there to support such hope.

lyonhibs
09-10-2019, 07:45 AM
The 3 teams in 3rd are on the same points, so technically their sitting on the 4th highest points total in the league.
In his first season he got to the playoff final where they lost 2-1 to Charlton with a 94th minute goal. That's better than any Sunderland manager has done in years.

He was fantastic with Alloa and St Mirren, won Manager of the year , and has done a decent enough job at a basket case of a football club.

They were Premiership regulars - granted at the wrong end of the table but survival was always their goal - until 2016 so unless your definition of "years" is pretty short, that's evidently not true.

Heckingbottom got Barnsley promoted from a league that Jack Ross, with a budget proportionally way higher than the league average than Heckingbottom would've had, failed in.

I want Heckingbottom gone, but appointing Jack Ross would give me an overwhelming feeling of, at best, "meh".

SMAXXA
09-10-2019, 07:54 AM

That’s just not true how can you say a manager who failed to get then out the 3rd tier and he’s had 11 league games to show progress and there hasn’t been enough that’s the issue. Wycombe and fleetwood are above them come on, club the size of Sunderland with their resources should be doing better imo.

And btw if the league finished now after 11 games they would still be 5/6th regardless of the points total you point out so not really relevant.

Wonder if the same folk slating Hecky are those wanting Jack Ross, strange one.

The 90+2
09-10-2019, 08:21 AM

Yes. Heckbottom got the job at Barnsley building on a great job Lee Johnson done before going to Bristol City. Jack Ross took over from relegated St Mirren at the bottom of the championship, leaving Alloa who he had in second place in the same league.

bigwheel
09-10-2019, 08:23 AM
He’s not started well this season...doesn’t seem to know his best team and has had some flakey results ..he has recently admitted “he must do better”...

That said, if he learns from it he will be a better manager from the experience and had already showed he was a good one at two clubs ..so he will do well again somewhere else...

If Hecky were to leave I’d be happy to get him in ...

The 90+2
09-10-2019, 08:25 AM
That’s just not true how can you say a manager who failed to get then out the 3rd tier and he’s had 11 league games to show progress and there hasn’t been enough that’s the issue. Wycombe and fleetwood are above them come on, club the size of Sunderland with their resources should be doing better imo.

And btw if the league finished now after 11 games they would still be 5/6th regardless of the points total you point out so not really relevant.

Wonder if the same folk slating Hecky are those wanting Jack Ross, strange one.

Come on, he took over a club who had suffered back to back relegations, with players leaving all over the shop and missed out on promotion in the playoff final. He’s also still got credit in the bank from the jobs previously done in Scotland having St Mirren playing great football.

Hecky has one of the biggest clubs in the country struggling to win st Stirling, one win in the league this season and third bottom playing ***** football.

LaMotta
09-10-2019, 08:27 AM
Jonathon Ross would be out of our wage structure

Ricky Ross would be a better appointment - would bring dignity to the club.

HFC93
09-10-2019, 09:24 AM

I reckon you would struggle to find many Sunderland fans who agree. They were a premier league club three years ago.

ekhibee
09-10-2019, 09:41 AM
I suppose it depends who you want to compare him with, Ross that is. Lennon hardly set the world alight with Bolton, but he still did a good job up here, and previously with Celtic. I should say I'm in the anybody would be better than the present manager camp though. And not to forget Heckingbottom's pretty well blown the budget on players like Doidge and Newell, so any new manager is going to have to play with the cards dealt before the next transfer window.

Since452
09-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Ross is untested at our level. He's failed for the last two years with a bigger club than us at an arguably lower level than ours. To be honest I'd rather stick with Heckingbottom and continue to improve as we have been.

Green Badger
09-10-2019, 11:08 AM
I suppose it depends who you want to compare him with, Ross that is. Lennon hardly set the world alight with Bolton, but he still did a good job up here, and previously with Celtic. I should say I'm in the anybody would be better than the present manager camp though. And not to forget Heckingbottom's pretty well blown the budget on players like Doidge and Newell, so any new manager is going to have to play with the cards dealt before the next transfer window.

The difference between Lennon & Ross was that at Bolton I think Lennon had basically no money and players not receiving wages, whereas Ross has probably got quite comfortably the biggest budget in League One. Not really a fair comparison I'd say. Again, if he has the biggest budget in League One but his team is performing badly, there is no evidence he would have necessarily spent the Hibs budget better than Heckingbottom. He might have, but the evidence does not back it up.

The 90+2
09-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Ross is untested at our level. He's failed for the last two years with a bigger club than us at an arguably lower level than ours. To be honest I'd rather stick with Heckingbottom and continue to improve as we have been.

Improve 😂😂😂🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

Since452
09-10-2019, 12:05 PM
Improve 😂😂😂🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

Our last three results and performances suggest we've improved no?

ekhibee
09-10-2019, 12:23 PM
The difference between Lennon & Ross was that at Bolton I think Lennon had basically no money and players not receiving wages, whereas Ross has probably got quite comfortably the biggest budget in League One. Not really a fair comparison I'd say. Again, if he has the biggest budget in League One but his team is performing badly, there is no evidence he would have necessarily spent the Hibs budget better than Heckingbottom. He might have, but the evidence does not back it up.

Fair dues, I thought the no money and players not getting paid at Bolton was about half way through Lennon's tenure, they were still in the championship when he was manager. Ross didn't lose many games but drew too many, so from that perspective you're right, there's not that much evidence to say he would have spent any more wisely than Heckingbottom.

Inconsequential
09-10-2019, 02:33 PM
Ricky Ross would be a better appointment - would bring dignity to the club. Ricky Ross is unavailable at the moment as he is sailing up the West Coast. :wink:

JimBHibees
09-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Ricky Ross is unavailable at the moment as he is sailing up the West Coast. :wink:

Through villages and towns ......:greengrin

Heisenberg
09-10-2019, 03:04 PM
Our last three results and performances suggest we've improved no?

We’ve drawn all three after 90 minutes? Hardly an inspirational turnaround.

Allant1981
09-10-2019, 03:05 PM

Better than getting beat

Speedway
09-10-2019, 03:10 PM

Is he on holiday while others are doing the rounds?

Barney McGrew
09-10-2019, 03:13 PM

It looks like it....he was interviewed about how he came to be there and apparently it was due to a very prudent banking scheme he’d put in place.

MrRobot
09-10-2019, 03:14 PM

Still an improvement on getting beat :greengrin

Since452
09-10-2019, 05:58 PM

2 out of 3 away from home against 3 teams who finished well above us last season.

SMAXXA
09-10-2019, 06:07 PM
2 out of 3 away from home against 3 teams who finished well above us last season.

The blind shall never see 😜

LaMotta
10-10-2019, 01:20 AM
Ricky Ross would be a better appointment - would bring dignity to the club.

Ricky Ross is unavailable at the moment as he is sailing up the West Coast. :wink:

I set it up, set it up, set it up, set it up, set it up, set it up....
:nanafunk:

Since452
10-10-2019, 07:39 AM

You've taken that too far

Speedway
10-10-2019, 08:21 AM

Were you thinking about home, work, faith or how good it would be, at the time?

Bostonhibby
10-10-2019, 08:41 AM
:nanafunk:Go on then, set it up again, set it up again.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

basehibby
10-10-2019, 03:40 PM
I think this is the thing I love most about the period before and after a Head Coach is sacked at Hibs - no-one agreeing on what a decent next HC looks like.

Basically, no-one has a scooby how a HC in our price range is going to go. Folk would have written Mowbray, Stubbs and Lennon off before they took over and some folk would have been delighted with Williamson, Calderwood, Fenlon etc. I'm not immune from any of it either so, FWIW, my gut says that Ross would be a decent appointment.

It's sooo true - we all come on here and wax lyrical about who would be the best Hibees Manager and why when the truth is most of us have next to no idea how well or badly the majority of candidates would fare.

I remember being distinctly unimpressed by the appointment of then-rookie Tony Mowbray for example - and my mind was not changed at all by his first raft of signings - all of whom I'd never heard of! But it wasn't long before I along with the rest of the Hibees massif was purring with delight at the brand of football on display courtesy of the likes of Dean Shiels, Guillam Beuzlin and David Murphy under Mowbray.

At the other end of the scale I recall being genuinely optimistic that the board had opted for the best available candidates (and at no little expense) when appointing Butcher and Malpas after the departure of Pat Fenlon. How wrong could I have been!

There are a plethora of inponderables involved in appointing a football manager and the truth is that it's impossible to be certain that any individual will be a success - it's an educated guess at best. Lennon is as good an example as any - universally accepted as a great appointment, he fully justified that optimism in his first two seasons - before inexplicably hitting an extended patch of form that can only be described with words such as lame and dire! Stubbs was a fantastic Hibs manager first time round - seeming to be the epitome of a manager that just fitted the club like a hand in a glove. And yet many are unconvinced he could emulate that success if given a second chance - and who knows? Maybe they're right, as he's certainly not covered himself in glory on his managerial travels since then and currently can't buy a job!

Jack certainly has the appearance of a young coach who could have the right stuff for Hibs - but apart from his native knowledge of Scottish football he is no more qualified for the job than our current incumbent Heckingbottom. And at the moment, unless Barnsley come in for him, I cannot see Heckingbottom going anywhere. He has just come off the back of three results which we would HAPPILY have taken in ANY season of the club's history afterall - and regardless of how convinced some fans have become that his tenure is doomed, those responsible for paying his wages (and by extension his severance package) will be desperate to read some green shoots of recovery into those results. In other words there is not a chance in hell of Hecks being handed his jotters at this point in time.

So the chat about Jack is just aimless speculation at this stage unless Barnsley decide to come calling. If that were to transpire then he would get the thumbs up from me - but what the hell do I know?!?