PDA

View Full Version : hibs fans pay the price for going "green"

monktonharp
07-10-2019, 10:49 PM
as it says on the tin: last weekend our small supporters bus and no doubt the other buses , were charged £10 for parking at the ground. the same happened last season when we were at Livingston. despite having loads of space for the buses, these clubs charged the visiting supporters branches for parking. In this green climate era, or perceived drive towards it, surely taking loads of cars off the road that day instead of a few buses should be applauded , not punished? we will be reporting this to the Scottish football fans assoc. and asking for comments

tamig
07-10-2019, 11:13 PM
as it says on the tin: last weekend our small supporters bus and no doubt the other buses , were charged £10 for parking at the ground. the same happened last season when we were at Livingston. despite having loads of space for the buses, these clubs charged the visiting supporters branches for parking. In this green climate era, or perceived drive towards it, surely taking loads of cars off the road that day instead of a few buses should be applauded , not punished? we will be reporting this to the Scottish football fans assoc. and asking for comments
How are you being punished by having to pay to park at the ground? Was there no free parking away from the ground?

monktonharp
07-10-2019, 11:19 PM
How are you being punished by having to pay to park at the ground? Was there no free parking away from the ground?you ever tried to park a bus on a street nearby? the police tend to direct buses to certain areas during sports events. however, the point being taking lots of cars off the road? get it?

tamig
07-10-2019, 11:34 PM
you ever tried to park a bus on a street nearby? the police tend to direct buses to certain areas during sports events. however, the point being taking lots of cars off the road? get it?

You were whingeing about being charged for parking at the ground. The folk who go on the buses tend to do it all the time. A lot of folk drive to games all the time. I like to train it. Why should you get preferential treatment? Maybe I should write to the SPFL and demand answers as to why I don’t get a discount on my admission price. After all my train is probably taking more cars off the road than your bus. You crack on with your letter though. Let us all know how you get on.

The 90+2
08-10-2019, 01:17 AM
You were whingeing about being charged for parking at the ground. The folk who go on the buses tend to do it all the time. A lot of folk drive to games all the time. I like to train it. Why should you get preferential treatment? Maybe I should write to the SPFL and demand answers as to why I don’t get a discount on my admission price. After all my train is probably taking more cars off the road than your bus. You crack on with your letter though. Let us all know how you get on.

I think you’re deliberately missing the posters point.

In this day and age where everyone is encouraging park and ride and ditch the cars for buses or indeed trains for a greener environment (or whatever I don’t really care) supporters buses do this and £10’shared among a bus isn’t much at all - but - the football clubs should be welcoming buses instead of charging and giving it every man for themselves in cars for free parking in different cities or towns. You’re obviously on the war path regardless but an apology to a good hibby might be in order.

Cataplana
08-10-2019, 08:16 AM
Maybe they are going green, as £10 seems a reasonable fee for a premium parking place for something like 80 fans.

The car park needs stewards and maintenance. You'll be wanting them to pay for your petrol next.

franks
08-10-2019, 08:31 AM
I certainly see the OP's point, a bus will take around 12-15 cars off the road assuming multi occupancy therefor public transport or supporters buses should be encouraged.

Antifa Hibs
08-10-2019, 08:43 AM
TBF to Aberdeen by allowing buses to be parked in their land they'll need stewards on hand to direct them in, open the gates and watch them during the game. I'd also say 20p a skull to be dropped off and picked up at the entrance isn't bad value at all.

Bigger problem for buses in this country is the lack of bevvy. 'kin polis killjoys.

Forza Fred
08-10-2019, 08:44 AM
I certainly see the OP's point, a bus will take around 12-15 cars off the road assuming multi occupancy therefor public transport or supporters buses should be encouraged.

Can see both points of view.

Bussing it reduces pollution, traffic etc and should be encouraged.

Car parks have to be maintained, supervised etc, which incurs a cost.

Honestly, think 10 quid is more than a reasonable charge for a 50 seater bus.

Onceinawhile
08-10-2019, 08:45 AM
TBF to Aberdeen by allowing buses to be parked in their land they'll need stewards on hand to direct them in, open the gates and watch them during the game. I'd also say 20p a skull to be dropped off and picked up at the entrance isn't bad value at all.

Bigger problem for buses in this country is the lack of bevvy. 'kin polis killjoys.

10 divided by 16 or 24 isn't 20p a skull. But you're right, it's hardly prohibitive.

AltheHibby
08-10-2019, 08:52 AM
I live in Birmingham and pass both the Hawthorns and Villa Park regularly. They both charge £5 for a car, so £10 for a bus seems reasonable to me.

hibee-boys
08-10-2019, 09:01 AM

I think we're just making things up to moan about these days, I really hope we can string a few decent results together in the hope that this place cheers up a bit. Complaining to SFA fans assoc because you were charged £10 to park up a bus? This takes moaning for moanings sake to a new level. You trying to tell me that anyone on that bus might, in future, take their car given that they had to shell out an extra circa 50p each. It's silly season now.

Allant1981
08-10-2019, 09:29 AM
I think we're just making things up to moan about these days, I really hope we can string a few decent results together in the hope that this place cheers up a bit. Complaining to SFA fans assoc because you were charged £10 to park up a bus? This takes moaning for moanings sake to a new level. You trying to tell me that anyone on that bus might, in future, take their car given that they had to shell out an extra circa 50p each. It's silly season now.

Are you really shocked though, it's been nuts on here the last few months, I now take the car to games but used to go on the supporters bus for years and we knew fine well we were having to pay to park the bus, £10 to park outside the stadium is not to bad

Hibbyradge
08-10-2019, 09:34 AM

Aberdeen would have charged £5 to park a car. For 15 cars they would receive £75.

Instead they get £10 to go towards the cost of marshaling the parking lot and its upkeep.

Going by bus is convenient, stress-less, and you can have a few drinks.

It's also a damn sight cheaper to go to Aberdeen by bus than it is by car and that's before you add in depreciation, and, er, parking.

Don't the fans want to pay a tiny amount towards going green, or do they expect everyone else to do so for them?

DarlingtonHibee
08-10-2019, 09:35 AM
£10.00,whats that for a coach?

Two pints.

Hibbyradge
08-10-2019, 09:37 AM

Two pints.

5 pints of bitter in a Sam Smiths pub. :greengrin

DarlingtonHibee
08-10-2019, 09:50 AM

Not in the Dome it's not 😂

Hibbyradge
08-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Not in the Dome it's not 😂

Do they let you in the Dome? :greengrin

Brightside
08-10-2019, 10:02 AM
I’d expect more than a tenner to park a bus at the ground tbh.

DarlingtonHibee
08-10-2019, 10:08 AM
Do they let you in the Dome? :greengrin

Hopefully in November got a table booked lol

By the way three pints in the York tap!

DarlingtonHibee
08-10-2019, 10:16 AM
I’d expect more than a tenner to park a bus at the ground tbh.

I agree twenty years ago we paid £5.00 for a car at Ibrox, at least.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-10-2019, 10:40 AM

Two pints.

Not many places in Darlo charge that! 🍺

lyonhibs
08-10-2019, 10:47 AM
So, what we're really saying is that £10 to park a coach next to a stadium is pretty reasonable, all things considered? :greengrin

DarlingtonHibee
08-10-2019, 10:49 AM
Not many places in Darlo charge that! 🍺

Agree mate, cheap as chips here, apart from Grange Road 😂

Cataplana
08-10-2019, 11:03 AM

Jeezo, that's good value. If I give you a tenner can you get me two the next time you go. Any colour, but new tyres would be appreciated.

DarlingtonHibee
08-10-2019, 11:12 AM
Jeezo, that's good value. If I give you a tenner can you get me two the next time you go. Any colour, but new tyres would be appreciated.

Boom boom. 😂

Carheenlea
08-10-2019, 11:27 AM

It was £7 a good few years back and remained at so until the rumours we were not to be having access to the facility, then suddenly found we could indeed continue to use it but there was now no charge. I wonder if Hibs are paying something to ensure future use?

Iggy Pope
08-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Only 4 if you stretch to the Taddy Lager :greengrin

PaulSmith
08-10-2019, 03:59 PM
One of the weirdest threads I’ve ever read on Hibs net and that’s some doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
08-10-2019, 04:15 PM
Hopefully in November got a table booked lol

By the way three pints in the York tap!

True 👍

Hibbyradge
08-10-2019, 04:30 PM
Only 4 if you stretch to the Taddy Lager :greengrin

My tipple of choice in my local, 5 minutes walk, 4 if you're very thirsty.

4 pints £9.20.

Crap pub, but when needs must ...

tamig
08-10-2019, 04:49 PM
I think you’re deliberately missing the posters point.

In this day and age where everyone is encouraging park and ride and ditch the cars for buses or indeed trains for a greener environment (or whatever I don’t really care) supporters buses do this and £10’shared among a bus isn’t much at all - but - the football clubs should be welcoming buses instead of charging and giving it every man for themselves in cars for free parking in different cities or towns. You’re obviously on the war path regardless but an apology to a good hibby might be in order.

I’m not missing the environmental point at all. I just thought it was a bit ludicrous of the OP to say he was going to be writing to some supporters organisation claiming unfair play because his bus was charged a tenner for the displeasure of parking on the doorstep of the ground. His main point seemed to be that they get some kind of preferential treatment for going by bus. I was just asking about others who use other modes of transport other than a car. No apology necessary. Where’s old Sidney when you need him? 😀

WhileTheChief..
08-10-2019, 05:50 PM
The environmental argument sucks.

You could take every car in the UK off the road and it still wouldn’t make a difference to the planet.

logan.no1
08-10-2019, 06:28 PM
me and a mate went to ibrox a few years ago and a wee guy says 5er to watch your car pal
mate tells him na theres a staffe in the car son wee guy says can your staffie put fires oot
I gave him the 5er

WestCoastHibby
08-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Ten pound for a coach ain’t highway robbery.
Dick Turpin aka NHS Lothian charged me £6.50 to park at my workplace when I worked at Royal Infirmary
That’s a justifiable grump not yours O.P

Iggy Pope
08-10-2019, 07:11 PM
My tipple of choice in my local, 5 minutes walk, 4 if you're very thirsty.

4 pints £9.20.

Crap pub, but when needs must ...

They used to do Prince or Prinz(?) lager years back. Tastefully ****ing lethal. Love a pint of Taddy when I can.

DarlingtonHibee
08-10-2019, 07:34 PM
They used to do Prince or Prinz(?) lager years back. Tastefully ****ing lethal. Love a pint of Taddy when I can.

Iggy, when are you coming back to Darlington?

Bishop Hibee
08-10-2019, 08:38 PM
I miss north east prices. I wonder how much a pint of Sam Smiths is in the Colpitts in Durham these days? Must have reached £2.50 by now?

To the OP, I agree. I’m sure parking at Hampden was free when I ran a bus to the Ross County final and we were allocated a space behind the East Stand.

DarlingtonHibee
08-10-2019, 09:26 PM
I miss north east prices. I wonder how much a pint of Sam Smiths is in the Colpitts in Durham these days? Must have reached £2.50 by now?

To the OP, I agree. I’m sure parking at Hampden was free when I ran a bus to the Ross County final and we were allocated a space behind the East Stand.
Pint of Stella £2.95,John Smith £1.85

Hibbyradge
08-10-2019, 09:46 PM

No danger it's anywhere near £2.50.

Ozyhibby
08-10-2019, 10:00 PM
It’s good to go green but the cost of parking the bus has to be paid for by someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
08-10-2019, 10:18 PM
Pint of Stella £2.95,John Smith £1.85

Great prices great boozer. Used to go there after 5’s at Dragonville. Think it was £1.23 a pint in 2002!

monktonharp
08-10-2019, 11:58 PM

To the OP, I agree. I’m sure parking at Hampden was free when I ran a bus to the Ross County final and we were allocated a space behind the East Stand.It's late, I know so I wont get into an argument (hopefully0 but the main point was the "green" issue. however I would like to point out that the only 2 clubs that have recently charged for buses are A/deen and Livi. cant recall if The Rangers charge for the compound off Helen St. Hampden, free and those are the parks very close to the stadium

Monts
09-10-2019, 08:51 AM
You seem to be confusing football clubs with the government or local authorities.

Hibernia&Alba
09-10-2019, 07:34 PM

You could take every car in the UK off the road and it still wouldn’t make a difference to the planet.

25 million cars? Of course it would make a difference. Remove car emissions across the globe and that's a huge difference.

monktonharp
09-10-2019, 08:38 PM

You could take every car in the UK off the road and it still wouldn’t make a difference to the planet.you must have been good at science when you went to school

Iggy Pope
09-10-2019, 09:11 PM
25 million cars? Of course it would make a difference. Remove car emissions across the globe and that's a huge difference.

Are there 25 million cars motoring around this UK population of 50 million? Is there nowt. How many really? Don’t glue or chain them all together now. I hate Boris but equally I’ve no time for hippies. Remove my car = minus 3 or more on the away gate.

Allant1981
09-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Are there 25 million cars motoring around this UK population of 50 million? Is there nowt. How many really? Don’t glue or chain them all together now. I hate Boris but equally I’ve no time for hippies. Remove my car = minus 3 or more on the away gate.

Sure I read somewhere there are just over 30 million cars on british roads

Hibernia&Alba
09-10-2019, 09:24 PM

The UK population is around 65 million, and there are 30 million cars - in 2011 the number of cars on the road was 26.2 million. That is a huge amount of emissions; make that global and of course the environmental impact is significant.

Scouse Hibee
09-10-2019, 09:26 PM
me and a mate went to ibrox a few years ago and a wee guy says 5er to watch your car pal
mate tells him na theres a staffe in the car son wee guy says can your staffie put fires oot
I gave him the 5er

The old ones are the best.

Sylar
09-10-2019, 09:42 PM
It's late, I know so I wont get into an argument (hopefully0 but the main point was the "green" issue. however I would like to point out that the only 2 clubs that have recently charged for buses are A/deen and Livi. cant recall if The Rangers charge for the compound off Helen St. Hampden, free and those are the parks very close to the stadium

Unless things have changed, St Johnstone also do this.

It's a secure car park right outside the ground (in the case of Livi) and they charge cars £5 to get in too (half the cost of a bus), so there's an incentive if you're trying to find ways to bring your matchday experience down in cost. £10 divided by the whole bus, who are already paying a small fee to cover the hire and fuel is still far cheaper than the fuel costs for a car + parking for 2 or 3 people, or a train fare from Edinburgh to Livi North and back.

tamig
09-10-2019, 09:53 PM
The UK population is around 65 million, and there are 30 million cars - in 2011 the number of cars on the road was 26.2 million. That is a huge amount of emissions; make that global and of course the environmental impact is significant.

There were almost 38million licensed vehicles in the Uk in 2018.

Hibernia&Alba
09-10-2019, 10:04 PM
There were almost 38million licensed vehicles in the Uk in 2018.

I'm sure you are right, which adds up to enormous emissions. Make that global and you have an enormous impact. The oil which powers them is finite, but it may be terminal for the environment before the oil and other fossil fuels run out. However, the profits are huge for the fossil fuel companies and for now we need the energy they provide. A real dilemma.

monktonharp
09-10-2019, 11:13 PM
Ten pound for a coach ain’t highway robbery.
Dick Turpin aka NHS Lothian charged me £6.50 to park at my workplace when I worked at Royal Infirmary
That’s a justifiable grump not yours O.PNHS Lothian did not charge you. the company that built the complex in tandem with the Labour party, then invited NCR Parking to take over the parking side of things. think back, and look at what really happens

monktonharp
09-10-2019, 11:18 PM
Are there 25 million cars motoring around this UK population of 50 million? Is there nowt. How many really? Don’t glue or chain them all together now. I hate Boris but equally I’ve no time for hippies. Remove my car = minus 3 or more on the away gate.population of England, 66 million. lots of them like cars and some have 2. population of Scotland 5.2 million. lots have cars and some have 2. population of Wales 4.7 million or thereabouts. equally, cars.

monktonharp
09-10-2019, 11:24 PM
that's it. my mind's made up. will be cycling to all away games from now on. hope they all have bike sheds. all ah need for Christmas is a saddlebag!

Iggy Pope
10-10-2019, 06:35 PM
population of England, 66 million. lots of them like cars and some have 2. population of Scotland 5.2 million. lots have cars and some have 2. population of Wales 4.7 million or thereabouts. equally, cars.

You’ve bumped England up by about 10 percent there. Lots of the 75 million have 2 cars? I’d say there was a fair wedge of non drivers sleeping on the street that will bring that guesswork down a tad.

Iggy Pope
10-10-2019, 06:36 PM

Gobsmacked.

WhileTheChief..
10-10-2019, 07:14 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49499443

monktonharp
11-10-2019, 12:32 AM
You’ve bumped England up by about 10 percent there. Lots of the 75 million have 2 cars? I’d say there was a fair wedge of non drivers sleeping on the street that will bring that guesswork down a tad.nope. uk is estimated 66'5 million. Scotland more than I thought, Wales less and forgot 1.7 million N, Ireland. I do pass people sleeping on the streets though in Edinburgh and do have emphathy for them. just pointing out your 55m was a tad off.

Gettin' Auld
11-10-2019, 09:57 AM
population of England, 66 million. lots of them like cars and some have 2. population of Scotland 5.2 million. lots have cars and some have 2. population of Wales 4.7 million or thereabouts. equally, cars.

The population of england is nowhere near to 66 million.....