PDA

View Full Version : Transatlantic buck-passing...

Scotty Leither
07-10-2019, 05:16 PM
With the much heralded takeover by Ron Gordon, it looks like we've morphed into ermmm...exactly the kind of club we were for much of Petrie's stewardship.

We've got an absentee owner based overseas, who initially proclaimed that we'd strive to be "best of the rest", with further promises of a "league challenge" somewhere on the horizon (wonder what league he meant?), and since then we've heard absolutely nothing from a guy whose background is media and communications.

His appointee in the Boardroom is Archie Paton who I believe spends a lot of his time in Cambridge, yet is supposedly tasked with making inroads into corporate Edinburgh, to raise the profile of the club, yet we've heard the sum total of zero from him as well.

Which begs the question, just who is making the "big" decisions at Easter Road as we flounder around the lower reaches of the league, with Calderwood-type signings who struggle to score more than one goal a game, which will see us lucky to finish above the play-off spot in my opinion.

There's no danger this team will take maximum points from the next 3 fixtures, partly because we're up against teams who are used to scrapping it out at the wrong end of the table, plus we have a centre forward who couldn't finish his dinner, and the club seriously need to take a look at what free agents are available (a goalscorer would be my priority), but is anyone at the club relaying this to our owner?

Is there anybody at home?

Viva_Palmeiras
07-10-2019, 05:37 PM
How many captainS or leaderS did we have on the park when we won the Scottish Cup?

#ItsCollectiveResponisibilityThatMakesTheDifferenc e

#CommandAndControlIsDeid

bingo70
07-10-2019, 05:38 PM
I think the tone of your post will get people’s backs up a bit but I think you make some fair points.

I agree about Ron, where is he? Why’s he not talking? What’s the plan?

When it was said Archie Paton was involved, it was quite exciting looking at the clubs and companies he’s worked with, don’t think we’ve heard a peep from him though?

Wakeyhibee
07-10-2019, 05:56 PM
I've no idea what's Ron's business MO is. But obviously been very successful. I presume he's a more measured guy. He could have come in and changed things wholesale on day 1. We've seen that elsewhere and rarely works.

No doubting we are in a bad place right now. But you don't buy a club handover a chunk of money and walk away, not for too long anyway.

Speedway
07-10-2019, 06:12 PM
I think he’s giving lots of people lots of rope.

SlickShoes
07-10-2019, 06:13 PM
The owner isnt the one that should be coming out and doing anything in the current situation, that undermines everyone working underneath him.

He isn't absent either, people are just going to keep pushing this until it's become a fact that no one questions.

Onion
07-10-2019, 06:14 PM
Got to pray and hope Ron is a canny business man and working quietly in the background for a revised plan for the club. Fans are the lifeblood of the club and its main source of revenue, unlike other leagues. If the customers are brassed off and revenues are at risk, he's got to be looking at the main reason for that - Heckingbottom and his team of English Duds.

green day
07-10-2019, 06:23 PM

Indeed, if he came in on day 1 and fired LD, GC, and the entire management team it would have been strange management to say the least.

If our executive team cant sort things out in a reasonable period of time, It would surprise me more if we didnt see big changes.

Diclonius
07-10-2019, 06:25 PM
The takeover was THREE MONTHS ago. THREE MONTHS.

Smartie
07-10-2019, 06:27 PM

I think you are spot on.

I understand why a lot of folk are getting restless, but this approach is not without merit.

bingo70
07-10-2019, 06:46 PM
The takeover was THREE MONTHS ago. THREE MONTHS.

Did he only start his planning and working out a strategy the day he took over? I’d have thought he’d have tried to hit the ground running as much as possible.

He can still try and lay out a vision for the future of the club without coming out and saying he’s going to sack certain people.

Speaking to your ‘customers’ is a good thing, even if you’ve got nothing to say. If you’re only speaking to them when asking them to buy things then people quickly get sick of that.

I’ve been really disappointed in the lack of communication coming from him and Paton, I assume we’ll get some at some point but the club could really be doing with some leadership now.

tamig
07-10-2019, 07:53 PM
With the much heralded takeover by Ron Gordon, it looks like we've morphed into ermmm...exactly the kind of club we were for much of Petrie's stewardship.

We've got an absentee owner based overseas, who initially proclaimed that we'd strive to be "best of the rest", with further promises of a "league challenge" somewhere on the horizon (wonder what league he meant?), and since then we've heard absolutely nothing from a guy whose background is media and communications.

His appointee in the Boardroom is Archie Paton who I believe spends a lot of his time in Cambridge, yet is supposedly tasked with making inroads into corporate Edinburgh, to raise the profile of the club, yet we've heard the sum total of zero from him as well.

Which begs the question, just who is making the "big" decisions at Easter Road as we flounder around the lower reaches of the league, with Calderwood-type signings who struggle to score more than one goal a game, which will see us lucky to finish above the play-off spot in my opinion.

There's no danger this team will take maximum points from the next 3 fixtures, partly because we're up against teams who are used to scrapping it out at the wrong end of the table, plus we have a centre forward who couldn't finish his dinner, and the club seriously need to take a look at what free agents are available (a goalscorer would be my priority), but is anyone at the club relaying this to our owner?

You were never shy at having a pop at the old regime. Hasn’t taken you too long with the new. Nice one Scotty.

Ozyhibby
07-10-2019, 08:06 PM
We do appear to be a bit leaderless at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hhibs
07-10-2019, 08:13 PM

I believe he gave all departments 90 days to put there strategy document together,and that would mean they are due soon.

So action could be very soon. a good few at all levels could be bye,bye and in my view desevidly so.

:flag::flag::flag:

One Day Soon
07-10-2019, 08:16 PM
You were never shy at having a pop at the old regime. Hasn’t taken you too long with the new. Nice one Scotty.

Yup.

Alfred E Newman
07-10-2019, 09:16 PM

In my opinion we were better off with what we had.

we are hibs
07-10-2019, 09:29 PM
We do appear to be a bit leaderless at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both on and off the park. Still awaiting the new owner sharing his plans or telling us which direction we are going to be heading in which we were promised. Any day now im sure.

Smartie
07-10-2019, 09:32 PM
In my opinion we were better off with what we had.

We knew where we were with what we had.

Now we don't know.

Time will tell if we're better off or not.

I completely understand the approach he's taking, and I suspect the whole transition (and a bit beyond) will have been carefully stage managed by our departed owner.

I have a hunch our new owner will be a wee bit dismayed at the state we're in, as he will have been promised (and all the evidence would have suggested at the time) that we were in a far better state than we are in.

ancient hibee
07-10-2019, 09:39 PM
I believe he gave all departments 90 days to put there strategy document together,and that would mean they are due soon.

So action could be very soon. a good few at all levels could be bye,bye and in my view desevidly so.

Suspect the Craig “decision “ to leave is the first sign.

matty_f
07-10-2019, 09:42 PM
The owner isnt the one that should be coming out and doing anything in the current situation, that undermines everyone working underneath him.

He isn't absent either, people are just going to keep pushing this until it's become a fact that no one questions.

I've seen him at games, home and away iirc.

He's been in the door five minutes, he'll be taking stock of what the current state of play is, and rightly so.

I'm not sure what communications people want, I'm sure when he arrived he said he was going to take a while to assess the club and take it from there, do we need him to tell us that's what he's doing?

ancient hibee
07-10-2019, 09:53 PM
Surely what everyone wants is him to say he’s examined everything,fired the lot of them and arranged with his good pal Sheikh Rattlenroll at Man City to cement their relationship by agreeing to take all their surplus players on temporary employment at their expense.Or something like that.

SMAXXA
07-10-2019, 09:59 PM
I've seen him at games, home and away iirc.

He's been in the door five minutes, he'll be taking stock of what the current state of play is, and rightly so.

I'm not sure what communications people want, I'm sure when he arrived he said he was going to take a while to assess the club and take it from there, do we need him to tell us that's what he's doing?

Agree with you Matty, some strange comments above about being better off before (how do we know he’s no in the door 5m the previous regime took years to achieve success). Why are we in a mess or statements that we are in more a mess than he thought (other than a poor start on the park I don’t see such a mess that’s been claimed).

It takes time and I get when things arnt going well people want to hear from the owner etc but if it was a token gesture interview which told us nothing he would get slaughtered for that aswell. I think we all would want more of an idea of the strategy and plans but I’d rather be patient and let them communicate when they have something for fans to get their teeth into and dissect.

FWIW it wouldn’t surprise me to hear something soon with the International break to give us something to be interested in and I dare say excited (without seeing any plans).

All imo of course

monktonharp
07-10-2019, 10:56 PM
I think he’s giving lots of people lots of rope.possibly, but unfortunately a good few look as if they will hang theresels

tamig
07-10-2019, 11:09 PM
We knew where we were with what we had.

Now we don't know.

Time will tell if we're better off or not.

I completely understand the approach he's taking, and I suspect the whole transition (and a bit beyond) will have been carefully stage managed by our departed owner.

I have a hunch our new owner will be a wee bit dismayed at the state we're in, as he will have been promised (and all the evidence would have suggested at the time) that we were in a far better state than we are in.
I take it you’re talking about on the pitch? If not, what other parts of the club are in a “state”?

ABZHFC
07-10-2019, 11:15 PM
I don't blame Ron for this per se, but the seeming lack of transparency at the club has been one of the most alarming things for me. The fans reps do a good job of keeping us somewhat informed imo, but there doesn't seem to be many at the highest level willing to come out and talk very often.

And yet we face things like the ticket prices continuing to rise year-on-year for category A games without explanation, or continued dissatisfaction with the catering facilities at Easter Road. I just feel like the club is very much leaderless right now, on and off the pitch

tamig
07-10-2019, 11:21 PM
I don't blame Ron for this per se, but the seeming lack of transparency at the club has been one of the most alarming things for me. The fans reps do a good job of keeping us somewhat informed imo, but there doesn't seem to be many at the highest level willing to come out and talk very often.

And yet we face things like the ticket prices continuing to rise year-on-year for category A games without explanation, or continued dissatisfaction with the catering facilities at Easter Road. I just feel like the club is very much leaderless right now, on and off the pitch
Year on year price increases? That’s life unfortunately. When the shops put their prices up on everyday groceries do you expect an announcement from the CEO explaining why?

ABZHFC
08-10-2019, 12:33 AM
Year on year price increases? That’s life unfortunately. When the shops put their prices up on everyday groceries do you expect an announcement from the CEO explaining why?

I feel like, with respect, that sort of attitude is partly why they're able to get away with it. We're not consumers, we are people who are deeply, emotionally invested in an institution. This is our football club as much as it is Ron Gordon's, and Hibs fans will still be going every other Saturday long after he's left. I don't want my children to grow up in a nation where football is simply no longer affordable for people to attend regularly, and I feel like it's an important issue we'll have to address sooner or later. A Killie mate of mine paid £29 for his ticket at Tynecastle on Saturday, same for all their Category B games apparently, I fear it's not too long before we'll take a leaf out of their book and do the same

Just_Jimmy
08-10-2019, 05:01 AM
If we were winning every week in third place then no one would care.

That's the real issue. Everything that's needing said about the team has been said and people are just looking for things to vent on.

There's issues but no one would be bothered if we were winning.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

offshorehibby
08-10-2019, 01:46 PM
I've always thought we'd start hearing things about AGM time. That's given him time to suss the place out and get all the department statements in.

Onion
08-10-2019, 02:36 PM

When your house is on fire and folk all around you are shouting fire, you don’t need to order new smoke detectors to tell you to take action !

SMAXXA
08-10-2019, 02:56 PM
When your house is on fire and folk all around you are shouting fire, you don’t need to order new smoke detectors to tell you to take action !

Our house isn’t on fire tho is it?

matty_f
08-10-2019, 04:04 PM

That's the real issue. Everything that's needing said about the team has been said and people are just looking for things to vent on.

In a nutshell :agree:

bingo70
08-10-2019, 04:08 PM
In a nutshell :agree:

Do you not think it’s just good practise for the club to have good communications with the fans?

I know we laugh at Budge and she’s not exactly the benchmark for where we want our new owner to get to but she gives pretty regular and in depth updates. I know that comment will be largely mocked but I think that’s the sort of thing that isn’t unreasonable to ask for.

matty_f
08-10-2019, 04:17 PM
Do you not think it’s just good practise for the club to have good communications with the fans?

I know we laugh at Budge and she’s not exactly the benchmark for where we want our new owner to get to but she gives pretty regular and in depth updates. I know that comment will be largely mocked but I think that’s the sort of thing that isn’t unreasonable to ask for.

I think it's excellent practice and it's something that I'd love to see Hibs do more of.

That said, I still remember the last update from LD as it wasn't that long ago, and I still remember the interviews with Ron Gordon, because they weren't that long ago, and I don't imagine a whole lot worth talking about has changed in the relatively short time since those updates.

LD's was just a month ago.

Budge's statements were a nonsense, she riled the fans after they protested and had to come back and back down from her "real fans" (or whatever the exact phrase was) comment.

I can tell you now that if LD was to put a video or a statement out just now it would say:

- we believe in what we're doing
- we know we're not where we need to be
- we're working hard in the background to improve things in a measured a calm way
- we understand the frustrations
- we're confident we can still have a good season.

It's just noise. If we're winning, nobody's giving a toss about it, we lap it up when we're doing well and criticise it when we're toiling it, it's always been that way.

You can trot the manager out after every result and he could give the exact same answers, word for word, and the weeks where we win he'd be praised for it and the weeks we got beat he'd be an idiot for it.

Sure a bulletin from Ron Gordon would be good, but what are we hoping to get from it? Do we need him to spell out that he doesn't want us to be in 10th place? Is that not patently obvious?

Do we need him to tell us that he's going to make changes to improve the club? He's already said that, once he's got his feet under the table and understood the club, he'll do what needs to be done.

We're getting angsty about not getting a statement-by-numbers piece fed to us. What's the point?

CMurdoch
08-10-2019, 04:36 PM
Businesses and business men tell you what they want you to know and they tell you when they want to tell you.
They always control the narrative and it's timing.

Ron is not communicating at the moment because he does not think it is the right time.
Leeann is not communicating for the same reason.
These people are not fools and only communicate if they want something from you or they are trying to control something.

I suspect Ron will be hacked off about the teams performances on a vanity level more than any other. No supporter adoration on tap at the moment.
If it continues in the medium term he will be concerned about the effect on season ticket sales for next season because it is the clubs main source of income.
However, the big picture is that the business he purchased is and will continue to be worth more than he paid for it.
He is on a winner and we sadly have little influence especially as many of us have a lifetime Hibs addiction that is almost impossible to break.

One thing is for sure, there will be lots of watching, weighing and scheming going on behind the scenes. George Craig breaking cover last week was the first visible sign of change for supporters and more will follow but Ron and his operatives won't be keeping supporters informed.

madhatter
08-10-2019, 05:01 PM

This is largely true but I'm still concerned. I, like most, ended up thinking about the positives after the takeover but it is slowly seeping away. The reason for this, for me at least, is looking at Man Utd and clubs like that where owners actually take the club backwards. Most of this is due to the transition from being a football club to a business. I know a football club is a business but focus should be about football not about business opportunities outside of the game.

I worry due to not knowing Ron's plan. Ok, you could argue I dont know what Netflix's plan is either but I'm not really part of the lifeblood of Netflix, certainly not in the way I am with Hibs. Due to fan numbers and their importance to the club (ultimately paying people's wages) then I'd expect quick communication, even in bullet point form, of "ambitions" even if they fall by the wayside. It is our club, not Ron's. Even if he owns the majority. Unless he wants to pay peoples wages then he needs us, he needs more of us. Business opportunities dont grow clubs on their own, fan numbers and sporting achievements contribute massively.

I still have trust and patience but it is wearing away.

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2019, 05:40 PM
I'm hoping that Big Ron has taken time to see what's happening at the club, looking to see what's wrong and has the plans to rectify it all.

I have no idea if this is right, or he even knows how to make things better, but he bought the club for some reason or other, and if its to be successful, and not run us into the ground or asset strip us, then he surely can't sit around and watch this for much longer?

WhileTheChief..
08-10-2019, 06:01 PM
I think it's excellent practice and it's something that I'd love to see Hibs do more of.

That said, I still remember the last update from LD as it wasn't that long ago, and I still remember the interviews with Ron Gordon, because they weren't that long ago, and I don't imagine a whole lot worth talking about has changed in the relatively short time since those updates.

Budge's statements were a nonsense, she riled the fans after they protested and had to come back and back down from her "real fans" (or whatever the exact phrase was) comment.

I can tell you now that if LD was to put a video or a statement out just now it would say:

- we're working hard in the background to improve things in a measured a calm way

It's just noise. If we're winning, nobody's giving a toss about it, we lap it up when we're doing well and criticise it when we're toiling it, it's always been that way.

You can trot the manager out after every result and he could give the exact same answers, word for word, and the weeks where we win he'd be praised for it and the weeks we got beat he'd be an idiot for it.

Sure a bulletin from Ron Gordon would be good, but what are we hoping to get from it? Do we need him to spell out that he doesn't want us to be in 10th place? Is that not patently obvious?

Do we need him to tell us that he's going to make changes to improve the club? He's already said that, once he's got his feet under the table and understood the club, he'll do what needs to be done.

We're getting angsty about not getting a statement-by-numbers piece fed to us. What's the point?

He could maybe tell us if there are any real plans to continue developing East Mains, I’m thinking of the indoor pitch that’s been talked about. If so, how is it being paid for?

How about commenting on the youth academy? What’s the plans to bring more players through the ranks so that we don’t have to loan players from other club’s academies?

What’s his view on loyalty points, safe standing, family seating, the singing section? Happy with all of these or willing to make changes?

What’s his initials thoughts on the SFA and SPFL? Does he see any opportunities to improve them?

Likewise the league’s TV deal or our lack of sponsor this season?

I don’t expect him t comment on the team or PHs future as we would only get staple answers like you’ve described but I don’t think it’s unreasonable for the owner of one of Scotland’s top clubs to share some of his thoughts and plans.

Scotty Leither
08-10-2019, 06:12 PM

To channel a song from my favourite band, Tamig: "Meet the new boss - same as the old boss".

Gordon and his representative, Paton, have the same (thus far) public profile as Petrie and Farmer did, i.e. akin to that of Salman Rushdie.

What they also have in common with their predecessors is that neither of them are what you would class as "football men"; so I wouldn't share some posters' confidence on here that they're aware of just how turgid and one-paced this team are to watch, and are ignorant of the expectation of Hibs supporters where at the very least we expect to see our team have a go at the opposition, especially at Easter Road.

So I would say the parralells with the previous regime are valid, especially in the area of player recruitment where once again decent outgoing players, sold for good money have been replaced with cheap dross - shades of Calderwood as I said previously, yet stiil there appears to be zero pressure on the management to correct it.

That's why any "pressure" emanates from forums like this, because I for one am not prepared to be inured to mediocrity as was our staple diet under Petrie for long enough - and that's before we mention the seemingly never-ending obsession at Board level at Easter Road with spending on "infrastructure" which always seems to be at the expense of the team - that appears to have carried over to Gordon's tenure too.

WestCoastHibby
08-10-2019, 06:20 PM

And they are doing a good job of hanging themselves.

Keith_M
08-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Maybe he bought the club on a whim, turned up at a few games and just lost interest?

You know, like a kid with a new toy.

Speedway
08-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Suspect the Craig “decision “ to leave is the first sign.

I believe that this decision was taken in the late summer, but only announced recently.

bingo70
08-10-2019, 06:54 PM
I believe that this decision was taken in the late summer, but only announced recently.

Is it the end of the season he stands down or end of the year?

Think his replacement could tell us a lot about the input of Paton and Gordon.

CMurdoch
08-10-2019, 07:34 PM
Is it the end of the season he stands down or end of the year?

Think his replacement could tell us a lot about the input of Paton and Gordon.

end of the year i believe

CMurdoch
08-10-2019, 07:37 PM
He could maybe tell us if there are any real plans to continue developing East Mains, I’m thinking of the indoor pitch that’s been talked about. If so, how is it being paid for?

How about commenting on the youth academy? What’s the plans to bring more players through the ranks so that we don’t have to loan players from other club’s academies?

What’s his view on loyalty points, safe standing, family seating, the singing section? Happy with all of these or willing to make changes?

What’s his initials thoughts on the SFA and SPFL? Does he see any opportunities to improve them?

Likewise the league’s TV deal or our lack of sponsor this season?

I don’t expect him t comment on the team or PHs future as we would only get staple answers like you’ve described but I don’t think it’s unreasonable for the owner of one of Scotland’s top clubs to share some of his thoughts and plans.

His view on the above highlighted section will be a big, no bothered from Ron

tamig
08-10-2019, 07:56 PM
To channel a song from my favourite band, Tamig: "Meet the new boss - same as the old boss".

Gordon and his representative, Paton, have the same (thus far) public profile as Petrie and Farmer did, i.e. akin to that of Salman Rushdie.

What they also have in common with their predecessors is that neither of them are what you would class as "football men"; so I wouldn't share some posters' confidence on here that they're aware of just how turgid and one-paced this team are to watch, and are ignorant of the expectation of Hibs supporters where at the very least we expect to see our team have a go at the opposition, especially at Easter Road.

So I would say the parralells with the previous regime are valid, especially in the area of player recruitment where once again decent outgoing players, sold for good money have been replaced with cheap dross - shades of Calderwood as I said previously, yet stiil there appears to be zero pressure on the management to correct it.

That's why any "pressure" emanates from forums like this, because I for one am not prepared to be inured to mediocrity as was our staple diet under Petrie for long enough - and that's before we mention the seemingly never-ending obsession at Board level at Easter Road with spending on "infrastructure" which always seems to be at the expense of the team - that appears to have carried over to Gordon's tenure too.
Thats fair enough Scotty but its still early doors in the guy’s tenure. Let’s give him a chance. I’m sure we’ll hear from him soon enough. If we’ve still heard nothing by the end of the year I’d be a bit concerned as to what his motives were.

monktonharp
09-10-2019, 12:30 AM
Thats fair enough Scotty but its still early doors in the guy’s tenure. Let’s give him a chance. I’m sure we’ll hear from him soon enough. If we’ve still heard nothing by the end of the year I’d be a bit concerned as to what his motives were.that gives him 14 games, to let us know what he thinks.

Mibbes Aye
09-10-2019, 01:13 AM

Good, well-reasoned post Matty.

Kind of post that is worth folk re-reading every time we don’t win 5-0, on those rare occasions we don’t win 5-0, because we don’t win that many games 5-0, and in fact we lose games, draw games, sometimes only win by a goal.

Hibs will always be a work in progress, that’s where we are at. There’s a nervous hysteria that seems to take hold over many. It doesn't require knee jerk posting, it really doesn’t.

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2019, 05:27 AM
Good, well-reasoned post Matty.

Kind of post that is worth folk re-reading every time we don’t win 5-0, on those rare occasions we don’t win 5-0, because we don’t win that many games 5-0, and in fact we lose games, draw games, sometimes only win by a goal.

Hibs will always be a work in progress, that’s where we are at. There’s a nervous hysteria that seems to take hold over many. It doesn't require knee jerk posting, it really doesn’t.

Work in progress is just a way of saying we will always underperform.

Why have we built the best stadium outside Glasgow, built the best training centre in scotland and continue to improve it to just be work in process?

Patience was the buzz word for years, Petrie had his 5 year plan, why were we patient, and what was the 5 year plan?

Was it just to have a club who are always work in process?

BILLYHIBS
09-10-2019, 06:28 AM
Happy clapper here but I do believe exciting times lie ahead for Hibernian Football Club

It might not be today next week or next month but it will happen

I have total faith in Ron Gordon to deliver

The futures bright the futures green and white

:thumbsup:

superfurryhibby
09-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Why have we built the best stadium outside Glasgow, built the best training centre in scotland and continue to improve it to just be work in process?

Patience was the buzz word for years, Petrie had his 5 year plan, why were we patient, and what was the 5 year plan?

With you all the way on this. Can we not be work in progress whilst challenging to be the best of the rest and playing decent football?

Fans will vote with their feet. The momentum of the past four-five years has crunched to a halt. This summers transfer action reeks of bargain basement. Regardless of the mythical transfer fee for Doidge ( which I suspect is nothing like the inflated figure bandied around on here).

We need to see effective leadership and clear communication, it’s not apparent. The ball is in wee Ron’s court.

Hibernian Verse
09-10-2019, 10:32 AM

Some people don't like people with power whatever they do.

Forza Fred
09-10-2019, 11:34 AM
I think Ron has adopted a ‘softly softly catchee monkey strategy.

He WILL make changes, but he is doing what any good manager/new owner should do on taking over....instead of rushing in and making the changes that he THINKS are required, sit back, observe and then make the changes he then knows ARE required.

I have no doubt there WILL be changes, but Ron didn’t make his pile in business by rushing in like a new lottery winner with a scatter gun approach.

Spike Mandela
09-10-2019, 11:57 AM
Was I the only person who heard Ron Gordon say he was going to take a several weeks or months to absorb everything at Hibs and learn what was required. Give the man a chance.

SRHibs
09-10-2019, 12:37 PM
I'm just wondering, when Aston Villa inevitably sell McGinn, what's the incentive for Ron Gordon not to just pocket the fee and keep our budget as is? At the end of the day he's a businessman, and his main goal is surely to make money. Transfer fees seem like the only way to do this in Scottish football, unless of course we gamble a **** ton in the hope of being marginally successful in Europe.

WhileTheChief..
09-10-2019, 01:29 PM
Was I the only person who heard Ron Gordon say he was going to take a several weeks or months to absorb everything at Hibs and learn what was required. Give the man a chance.

Nope, we all heard him say that way back in June!

Brightside
09-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Nope, we all heard him say that way back in June!

I'm sure he will have something to say at the AGM.

Last Minute
09-10-2019, 02:44 PM
The AGM will be very interesting this year. When is it ? Normally October is it not.

Mibbes Aye
09-10-2019, 02:55 PM

I maybe didn’t explain myself well. Our ultimate aim must surely be to try and challenge for the league title, acknowledging that we need a lot of luck and circumstances, akin to the way Aberdeen were in with a shout a few seasons back. Also to be regularly contesting in the Cups, whilst understanding that the luck of the draw and the nature of knock-out tournaments means sometimes it will be a third round exit. And qualifying on a regular basis for European football.

In my lifetime, and I am not that young, Hibs have not consistently managed qualifying for European football or making even a half-hearted attempt at contesting the title. Cup runs are such a hostage to fortune that I am unwilling to judge us on that, though we have both exceeded ourselves and let ourselves down on frequent occasions.

Yet what we do have is one of the best stadiums in the country and a training facility that seems exceptional. Financially, we must be one of the most solid clubs in the country. These are the building blocks that contribute to success.

Success and progression depends on the coaching staff and the squad using these factors to take the next step up. That’s what I mean by saying we are a work in progress.

ancient hibee
09-10-2019, 03:25 PM
I'm just wondering, when Aston Villa inevitably sell McGinn, what's the incentive for Ron Gordon not to just pocket the fee and keep our budget as is? At the end of the day he's a businessman, and his main goal is surely to make money. Transfer fees seem like the only way to do this in Scottish football, unless of course we gamble a **** ton in the hope of being marginally successful in Europe.
Strangely enough there are laws which stop shareholders pocketing money paid to the company.If he wanted a payout he would have to take it as salary .If it was a dividend it would have to be paid to all other shareholders.Don’t think you need to worry.

CMurdoch
09-10-2019, 03:31 PM
I think Ron has adopted a ‘softly softly catchee monkey strategy.

He WILL make changes, but he is doing what any good manager/new owner should do on taking over....instead of rushing in and making the changes that he THINKS are required, sit back, observe and then make the changes he then knows ARE required.

I have no doubt there WILL be changes, but Ron didn’t make his pile in business by rushing in like a new lottery winner with a scatter gun approach.

Correcto

SRHibs
09-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Strangely enough there are laws which stop shareholders pocketing money paid to the company.If he wanted a payout he would have to take it as salary .If it was a dividend it would have to be paid to all other shareholders.Don’t think you need to worry.

Makes sense. I don't know an awful lot about it, but do worry. Guess I just to have to trust the judgment of STF and Co.