PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen midfield

Unseen work
07-10-2019, 02:43 PM
One thing that iv not seen mentioned in Saturday was how weak Aberdeen’s midfield was

Hedges Ferguson Campbell Ross

Hedges is very talented on the ball but is light weight and not great defensively. Ferguson is for me a very good young player that has a bit of everything. Ross and Campbell are two 18 year olds.

What really concerns me is how we never dominated those 4 in the middle of the park against our 5. Not just the numbers but the personnel.

For me in games like this Scotty Allan needs to do a hell of a lot more, he barely touched the ball in the game where imo he should have been dictating it and finding lots of pockets of space.

Could two 18 year olds slot into our midfield in a 4 and help us earn a respectable draw? Not even 18 year olds what if we started with say

Horgan Campbell Hallberg Murray

To me that midfield would get completely overrun like the Aberdeen midfield should have been.

Im one of few that seems to really rate Mallan and think the majority of good things we do come through him. But to me the balance is off when he is playing on the right of midfield. I’d personally rather Allan on the left with Mallan I’m behind than the current set up.

We desperately need to find a solid midfield which has the quality and attributes to hurt teams when we’re on the ball.

Horgan has been brutal all season, Middleton has shown signs of what he can do. Murray more than deserves his chance.

..........Hallberg.....Vela....

Murray........Mallan........Allan....

It lacks a bit of pace but the advanced 3 can all create and Allan is better wide and in 1 vs 1 positions than Mallan. He can also cut in and play that reverse pass.

Helensburghhibs
07-10-2019, 02:46 PM
One thing that iv not seen mentioned in Saturday was how weak Aberdeen’s midfield was

Hedges Ferguson Campbell Ross

Hedges is very talented on the ball but is light weight and not great defensively. Ferguson is for me a very good young player that has a bit of everything. Ross and Campbell are two 18 year olds.

What really concerns me is how we never dominated those 4 in the middle of the park against our 5. Not just the numbers but the personnel.

For me in games like this Scotty Allan needs to do a hell of a lot more, he barely touched the ball in the game where imo he should have been dictating it and finding lots of pockets of space.

Could two 18 year olds slot into our midfield in a 4 and help us earn a respectable draw? Not even 18 year olds what if we started with say

Horgan Campbell Hallberg Murray

To me that midfield would get completely overrun like the Aberdeen midfield should have been.

I thought we did dominate the midfield which was reflected in the chances we created and the fact they didn't. They don't need to worry about the midfield when they have the ball because they don't use it. Sam Cosgrove is the man that makes them tick. And we even handled him well. It was a game of missed chances. Nothing morw

Unseen work
07-10-2019, 02:52 PM
I thought we did dominate the midfield which was reflected in the chances we created and the fact they didn't. They don't need to worry about the midfield when they have the ball because they don't use it. Sam Cosgrove is the man that makes them tick. And we even handled him well. It was a game of missed chances. Nothing morw

The missed chances came from Stevenson and Hanlon putting through two fantastic passes. Horgan made the first one which sent Doidge wider than he should have been.

For me we only dominated short spells of the game and nowhere near enough of it. First half I would say Aberdeen were maybe edging it and should have made more of the areas they had the ball.

Agree about them bypassing the midfield and go for Cosgrove/Main. But when we’re on it we should be cutting through them and dominating them in more advanced areas of the pitch. The majority of our play seems to be between the back 4 and Hallberg.

Helensburghhibs
07-10-2019, 02:57 PM
The missed chances came from Stevenson and Hanlon putting through two fantastic passes. Horgan made the first one which sent Doidge wider than he should have been.

For me we only dominated short spells of the game and nowhere near enough of it. First half I would say Aberdeen were maybe edging it and should have made more of the areas they had the ball.

Agree about them bypassing the midfield and go for Cosgrove/Main. But when we’re on it we should be cutting through them and dominating them in more advanced areas of the pitch. The majority of our play seems to be between the back 4 and Hallberg.

I think we don't have great balance. There are not enough runners for Allan to be effective. Mallam and vela are too similar for me. And horgan always wants it to feet never in behind. I think playing flo off the right and Middleton of the left with doidge through the middle would give us more options. It's all stuff that should have been ironed out pre season though. I must say I have enjoyed some of the stuff we have played over the last 2 games especially when you compare it to the 2 hours I'll never get back in kilmarnock

Shrekko
07-10-2019, 03:12 PM
Whilst Hallberg was on we did dominate the midfield.

Ferguson I thought became more influential as the game went on but we were in charge for 75 mins.

Helensburghhibs
07-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Whilst Hallberg was on we did dominate the midfield.

Ferguson I thought became more influential as the game went on but we were in charge for 75 mins.

That's how I felt at the game mate