PDA

View Full Version : The Aberdeen Goal - Men on the Posts ?

hibsboy69
06-10-2019, 09:05 PM
For the Aberdeen goal a man on the post (like Kevin Thomson was against Hearts in 2016) easily stops the header !

Basics ! :confused::brickwall

Lago
06-10-2019, 09:06 PM
Might have helped if Porteous had jumped.

hibsboy69
06-10-2019, 09:07 PM

Agreed

angus hibby
06-10-2019, 09:25 PM

Correct. Not seen this mentioned on here previously - probably Heckingbottom’s fault....

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-10-2019, 09:28 PM
Not having players on the posts at corners is one of my biggest pet hates in football. So many avoidable goals conceded as a result

hibsboy69
06-10-2019, 09:29 PM
Not having players on the posts at corners is one of my biggest pet hates in football. So many avoidable goals conceded as a result

Mine too......if we never had men on the posts in 2016.....we wouldn't have won the Cup !

06-10-2019, 09:48 PM
For the Aberdeen goal a man on the post (like Kevin Thomson was against Hearts in 2016) easily stops the header !

Basics ! :confused::brickwall

GOOD POINT. while we’re at simplistic drivel , why doesn’t david gray attack every ball in the box ???????? BASICS

B.H.F.C
06-10-2019, 10:03 PM

This. Good prospect, but another mistake. Making too many IMO.

The_Horde
06-10-2019, 10:18 PM

Canny jump when someone's climbing on you.

TheCabbage
07-10-2019, 04:16 AM
Canny jump when someone's climbing on you.

He has to be stronger.
If that was Hanlon this place would be in meltdown, he’s past it, finished etc but as it’s Porto barely a mention.

Franck Stanton
07-10-2019, 01:13 PM
If the ref had done his job properly, the dons scorer would have been soaking in an early bath & not able to score.

Keith_M
07-10-2019, 01:48 PM
If the ref had done his job properly, the dons scorer would have been soaking in an early bath & not able to score.

Hecky's fault.

The_Horde
07-10-2019, 01:59 PM
He has to be stronger.
If that was Hanlon this place would be in meltdown, he’s past it, finished etc but as it’s Porto barely a mention.

Disagree. He got beaten to the jump but as soon as the lad has hands all over him he needs to go down and win us the free kick.

But let's not pretend it wasn't a foul. It was one. And then the Aberdeen player blocked the goalie from an offside position.

PaulSmith
07-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Disagree. He got beaten to the jump but as soon as the lad has hands all over him he needs to go down and win us the free kick.

But let's not pretend it wasn't a foul. It was one. And then the Aberdeen player blocked the goalie from an offside position.

It’s never a foul on Porteous, Cosgrove has just dominated him and Porto knew it as soon as it hit the back of the net.

If it has been scored at the other end and disallowed there’d be absolute uproar.

Offside yes.

Hermit Crab
07-10-2019, 04:23 PM

:agree:, he was bullied for the goal.

BILLYHIBS
07-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Ah for the old days of the full backs on each post

If the ball comes anywhere near you just boot the ba away

I wonder how many goals would have been prevented over the years?

Oh for Lexxy Miller eleven back at corners.......?

Smartie
07-10-2019, 06:46 PM
Can't remember who, but I remember a Liverpool player from the 80s talking about what they did defending corners.

They'd leave 2 men up the park, meaning the opposition would keep 3 back. They'd have a man on each post, leaving everyone else to mark man to man and trust themselves to win the personal battle - you'd then have men up the park to stop it coming straight back at you and pose a threat on the counter.

It made sense to me, I mentioned this to my pub league manager and our team did this for years - and it worked a treat.

Obviously no system is 100% effective but I've seen so many approaches over the years that just didn't work.

The_Horde
07-10-2019, 07:00 PM
It’s never a foul on Porteous, Cosgrove has just dominated him and Porto knew it as soon as it hit the back of the net.

If it has been scored at the other end and disallowed there’d be absolute uproar.

Offside yes.

At the highest point of Cosgrove's jump both his arms are on Porto's back/neck area. If you use an opponent in such a way anywhere else on the pitch it's a foul.

An experienced defender hits the deck and the ref blows his whistle.

And that's only part of the problem with that goal. Should never have stood.