PDA

View Full Version : Vela

Juice-Terry
06-10-2019, 05:21 PM
Sorry if this has been posted/discussed elsewhere already, but does anyone else think that Vela had a really good game yesterday (against Aberdeen)? I'd say it's his best game for us so far. Hallberg also had a very good game. Mallan had one of his better games this season.

Billy Whizz
06-10-2019, 05:26 PM
Sorry if this has been posted/discussed elsewhere already, but does anyone else think that Vela had a really good game yesterday (against Aberdeen)? I'd say it's his best game for us so far. Hallberg also had a very good game. Mallan had one of his better games this season.

They did, but wasting your time posting it on here

Wheat Hound
06-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Vela has definitely looked better sonce Hallberg came in and shared the load a bit. No coincidence our goals conceded has dropped in recent games.

Main issue now is wide and up front.

jacomo
06-10-2019, 05:43 PM

Waste of time you posting this.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-10-2019, 05:47 PM

Both of those players look like they have a bit to go to get to full match fitness. Getting better and making a difference though.

calumhibee1
06-10-2019, 05:49 PM

Didn’t see the game yesterday but that’s good to hear. I like the look of Hallberg so if Vela can get up to speed and we all know how good Allan can be then we’re starting to look more promising in there.

Robbo6-2
06-10-2019, 05:53 PM
He touched the ball 4 times in the first half.

Slightly better in the second half but he goes missing for long periods.

Absolutely kidding ourselves on if we think hes the answer.

Shrekko
06-10-2019, 05:56 PM

So you’re definitely sure he’s not going to get better? Definitely?

The Aberdeen TV commentators were praising him saying he was getting around the park well. I think him and Hallberg were a decent middle 2 but when Hallberg got hooked it all went to pot.

BILLYHIBS
06-10-2019, 05:58 PM
Found it hard to separate Vela from Fred of Man Utd tbh

They both run about a lot but don’t seem to do anything

The only difference is one cost 60m

Joking apart I still think Vela looks out of his depth at HIBS

Sammy7nil
06-10-2019, 06:00 PM

They did we did not win

The 90+2
06-10-2019, 06:10 PM
The guy is never suited for Scottish football. That’s being kind. Another who thought he would turn up and stroll it. At least James has character to apply himself. Vela wishes he was a ***** version of McGeough but he’s more like Ross Chisholm.

The_Horde
06-10-2019, 06:12 PM

Doing the lad a big discredit. I haven't been his biggest fan but he played well yesterday.

I watched with the Aberdeen TV commentary and they were singing his praises and reckoned he was our best player on the day.

The_Horde
06-10-2019, 06:12 PM
The guy is never suited for Scottish football. That’s being kind. Another who thought he would turn up and stroll it. At least James has character to apply himself. Vela wishes he was a ***** version of McGeough but he’s more like Ross Chisholm.

Did you watch the game yesterday?

Dalianwanda
06-10-2019, 06:19 PM

How do you know what he was thinking?

BILLYHIBS
06-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Admins could we please merge all the Vela Shaw Doidge Hallberg Newall Horgan Maxwell Hanlon and Mallan threads please

:greengrin

Edit:

Not forgetting the Bartman

Tyler Durden
06-10-2019, 07:30 PM
From the highlights it should really have been a penalty when Vela pushed McGinn in the back.

Stokesy's on fire
06-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Vela was good yesterday no doubt about that

Robbo6-2
06-10-2019, 07:49 PM
Unbelievable the blinkers folk have.

Its like you catch your wife in another mans car and she tells you they are just friends.

Hes not good enough. Compare him to the centre mids we have had over the last 3 or 4 years Mcginn,Mcgeough,Fyvie,Marv and Milligan. All of them would never hide and demand the ball all day long.

This guy hides behind the opposition, runs about abit, pretends to be the hard man and give away a couple of fouls each half. Not a great passer and doesnt look dangerous going forward.

Hallberg is a far more effective centre mid than him.

JimBHibees
06-10-2019, 08:16 PM

I like him just needs games but works hard and will score goals when up to speed.

The 90+2
06-10-2019, 08:18 PM
Did you watch the game yesterday?

Yes I watched it back. And he does the bare minimum in a game. Makes Mallan look like a Trojan.

The 90+2
06-10-2019, 08:19 PM
How do you know what he was thinking?

Psychic 👍

The 90+2
06-10-2019, 08:20 PM
Unbelievable the blinkers folk have.

Its like you catch your wife in another mans car and she tells you they are just friends.

Hes not good enough. Compare him to the centre mids we have had over the last 3 or 4 years Mcginn,Mcgeough,Fyvie,Marv and Milligan. All of them would never hide and demand the ball all day long.

This guy hides behind the opposition, runs about abit, pretends to be the hard man and give away a couple of fouls each half. Not a great passer and doesnt look dangerous going forward.

Hallberg is a far more effective centre mid than him.

Shouts and points and makes himself look busy. Like Ross Chisholm.

ddoc
06-10-2019, 09:56 PM
Watching on Hibs TV I was surprised when the Aberdeen commentator singled him out for praise. I barely realised that he was on the pitch up to then.
Maybe he was on the wind up.

FilipinoHibs
07-10-2019, 01:17 AM
Doing the lad a big discredit. I haven't been his biggest fan but he played well yesterday.

I watched with the Aberdeen TV commentary and they were singing his praises and reckoned he was our best player on the day.

Yes and Aberdeen TV spent most of the time complaining all Dog's one on one where offside and Hibs' players were divers. Only complimentary thing they said about us was Vela.

JimBHibees
07-10-2019, 05:44 AM
Him and Hallberg getting better each game and providing better basis in midfield.

Heckys Wheel
07-10-2019, 06:42 AM
Him and Hallberg getting better each game and providing better basis in midfield.

Yep, both are improving game on game which is also allowing Mallan to play better as well. Midfield looks more balanced now for sure.

Wingers aren’t doing it just now. Middleton and Horgan both look low on confidence and quality.

Hibee Mac
07-10-2019, 07:06 AM
Think people are getting overly critical of Vela because he's not as good as McGinn or Dylan. That's a very tough ask being ask good as they were, I watched the first half last night on replay and Vela was doing a good job of being tight to his man at all times and won the ball back a couple times doing so.

I think he's an important cog in the midfield if we are to push on and progress back to where we belong in the table.

BILLYHIBS
07-10-2019, 07:14 AM
I did not go to Pittodrie but going on what some posters are raving about on here he must have improved 100% since the Celtic game

In fairness the Celtic game was one of his better games so week on week improvement is logical

The poster that said he had four touches first half sounds about closer to the mark

To me he gets about the park but slowly and does not do anything of note in a game where you say to yourself that was well played or that was well done

A case in point would be his closing down of Hickey in the Hearts game where he got there too late to close him down causing the ball to take a wicked deflection

I also remember Michael Stewart calling him lazy

Hallberg looks more of a natural footballer but still does not look up to speed

If they can both continue to get up to speed together and form a formidable midfield partnership together so be it

Tyler Durden
07-10-2019, 08:25 AM
Think people are getting overly critical of Vela because he's not as good as McGinn or Dylan. That's a very tough ask being ask good as they were, I watched the first half last night on replay and Vela was doing a good job of being tight to his man at all times and won the ball back a couple times doing so.

I think he's an important cog in the midfield if we are to push on and progress back to where we belong in the table.

McGinn and McGeouch? It’s more a case that he’s not as good as Milligan or Tom Taiwo or Justin Skinner. Or Brian Hamilton.

So far, he just hasn’t been any good at all. He was so abysmal in his first 5/6 games that it’s now viewed as a positive that he won possession a few times. He doesn’t look like scoring, doesn’t create anything and does very little defensively.

BonnieFitbaTeam
07-10-2019, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE=Robbo6-2;5950977]Unbelievable the blinkers folk have.

Oh, the irony!

No-one is suggesting he's a world beater, but if you can't see the significant improvement in Vela's performances over the last few games - presumably as his fitness gets up to speed - then never mind blinkers, it's a blindfold you're wearing.

Hallberg is starting to look decent too, imo.

calumhibee1
07-10-2019, 08:45 AM
McGinn and McGeouch? It’s more a case that he’s not as good as Milligan or Tom Taiwo or Justin Skinner. Or Brian Hamilton.

So far, he just hasn’t been any good at all. He was so abysmal in his first 5/6 games that it’s now viewed as a positive that he won possession a few times. He doesn’t look like scoring, doesn’t create anything and does very little defensively.

He’s already scored.

Tyler Durden
07-10-2019, 08:50 AM
He’s already scored.

He’s scored against Morton. One goal in about 10 games and rarely threatened otherwise.

People who want to give him credit for improved performances.... He’s starting from such a low point that it’s irrelevant. He’s gone from a 4 out of 10 performance to a 6.

This is one of our biggest earners playing a pivotal role in the team. He’s not good enough so far. Saturday wasn’t good enough.

calumhibee1
07-10-2019, 08:57 AM
He’s scored against Morton. One goal in about 10 games and rarely threatened otherwise.

People who want to give him credit for improved performances.... He’s starting from such a low point that it’s irrelevant. He’s gone from a 4 out of 10 performance to a 6.

This is one of our biggest earners playing a pivotal role in the team. He’s not good enough so far. Saturday wasn’t good enough.

He’s a midfielder, and not a number 10 either. I’m not sure how many you’re expecting him to score :confused:

How do you know he’s one of our biggest earners?

BILLYHIBS
07-10-2019, 09:05 AM
He’s a midfielder, and not a number 10 either. I’m not sure how many you’re expecting him to score :confused:

Scored 12 in 160 appearances for Bolton so 1 in 11 appearances for HIBS is about right for a DM or wherever it is he is supposed to be playing

In fairness to the OP he never looks like scoring

FilipinoHibs
07-10-2019, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=Robbo6-2;5950977]Unbelievable the blinkers folk have.

Oh, the irony!

No-one is suggesting he's a world beater, but if you can't see the significant improvement in Vela's performances over the last few games - presumably as his fitness gets up to speed - then never mind blinkers, it's a blindfold you're wearing.

Hallberg is starting to look decent too, imo.

Agree. Vela looked puggled against Hearts late on. Now looking fitter. Always available for a pass and does not waste a pass either. Street fighter too. Dud not at that many games in championship and have premier league teams after him without having something. Think some fans are looking for the next Messi in a lot of our signings.

Allant1981
07-10-2019, 09:20 AM

Justin skinner, that's a blast from the past, I actually liked skinner when he was here

ancient hibee
07-10-2019, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=BonnieFitbaTeam;5951201]

Agree. Vela looked puggled against Hearts late on. Now looking fitter. Always available for a pass and does not waste a pass either. Street fighter too. Dud not at that many games in championship and have premier league teams after him without having something. Think some fans are looking for the next Messi in a lot of our signings.
No I think a lot of fans are looking for him to actually influence a game he plays in.

BILLYHIBS
07-10-2019, 10:24 AM
Just watched the BBC highlights did not notice Vela

Will now watch the whole game back on HIBS TV to see if I can spot him 😁

DH1875
07-10-2019, 10:45 AM

Does it not show the clear cut penalty that should have been awarded when he pushed the Aberdeen player in the back.

BILLYHIBS
07-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Does it not show the clear cut penalty that should have been awarded when he pushed the Aberdeen player in the back.
Yip!

Watched it back again innocuous lucky to get away with it

Nice boots though 😁

Tyler Durden
07-10-2019, 11:23 AM

How do you know he’s one of our biggest earners?

As I said previously, he doesn’t look like scoring, he doesn’t create any chances or even look like a good passer of the ball and he doesn’t protect the defence and win the ball back.

He is a number 8 who should be box to box and doing a bit of everything. That’s his role. He doesn’t excel in any aspect of the position. Unlike Mallan, Allan and it appears Hallberg.

I’m guessing that he’s one of the biggest earners, doesn’t seem like a stretch to me. Even if he wasn’t, we’re getting no value for money out of Vela so far.

I do think he must be capable of more but I don’t really buy into the “give him time, he’s building up match sharpness” theory either. He’s played about 10 games now, it’s more than enough to see some progress

MrRobot
07-10-2019, 11:26 AM
As I said previously, he doesn’t look like scoring, he doesn’t create any chances or even look like a good passer of the ball and he doesn’t protect the defence and win the ball back.

He is a number 8 who should be box to box and doing a bit of everything. That’s his role. He doesn’t excel in any aspect of the position. Unlike Mallan, Allan and it appears Hallberg.

I’m guessing that he’s one of the biggest earners, doesn’t seem like a stretch to me. Even if he wasn’t, we’re getting no value for money out of Vela so far.

I do think he must be capable of more but I don’t really buy into the “give him time, he’s building up match sharpness” theory either. He’s played about 10 games now, it’s more than enough to see some progress

You just previously stated that he’s gone from a 4 out of 10 to 6 out of 10, which to me seems progress?

Tyler Durden
07-10-2019, 11:32 AM
You just previously stated that he’s gone from a 4 out of 10 to 6 out of 10, which to me seems progress?

Yeah if you read that post I said it’s nowhere near good enough. People celebrating that he’s got better when he’s gone from abysmal to mediocre. Personally I think we have a right to expect better.

If we’re meant to be happy with Vela, I’m out. I didn’t want to watch Pat Fenlon’s idea of football and this is getting pretty similar.

Lendo
07-10-2019, 12:19 PM

Had a conversation with him when we moved up here did you?

FilipinoHibs
07-10-2019, 12:26 PM
The Hibs TV were raving about him saying once he gets fit/match sharp will be a big contributor. Think in a game before Killie in LC. Playing that many games in the robust championship and having Liverpool look at him means there is something there.

J-C
07-10-2019, 12:33 PM
The Hibs TV were raving about him saying once he gets fit/match sharp will be a big contributor. Think in a game before Killie in LC. Playing that many games in the robust championship and having Liverpool look at him means there is something there.

Going by the Bolton fans sites, the laddie hasn't got the healthiest social life apparently, too fond of certain things.

bigwheel
07-10-2019, 12:38 PM
Going by the Bolton fans sites, the laddie hasn't got the healthiest social life apparently, too fond of certain things.

Not read any of that - but even assuming that sort of stuff was true - people change and grow up - so I’m all for judging him on what we see and experience rather than rumours from a previous club ..

J-C
07-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Not read any of that - but even assuming that sort of stuff was true - people change and grow up - so I’m all for judging him on what we see and experience rather than rumours from a previous club ..

Boltonhibs has seen him quite a lot over the past 4-5 years and he didn't have a lot of good things to say about him, says he's been decidedly average for a good while now.

WhileTheChief..
07-10-2019, 07:43 PM

Let us know how you get on!

I’ve been saying he’s a total waste of space since day one and that he rarely gets involved in a game, let alone touch the damn ball.

He offers nothing. Doesn’t run, pass, tackle or shoot. Probably never taken a throw in either!

No idea how he gets a game or what PH thinks he brings to the table. I wouldn’t even have him on the bench.

B.H.F.C
07-10-2019, 07:53 PM
Doesn’t run

He does run. That’s one thing I think he does do. But he’s always off the pace. He’s always chasing people because he’s too slow to react in the first place.

BILLYHIBS
07-10-2019, 08:00 PM

I’ve been saying he’s a total waste of space since day one and that he rarely gets involved in a game, let alone touch the damn ball.

He offers nothing. Doesn’t run, pass, tackle or shoot. Probably never taken a throw in either!

No idea how he gets a game or what PH thinks he brings to the table. I wouldn’t even have him on the bench.

Will do

I have been to every home game and a few away games this season and I concur entirely with your thoughts

I honestly do not see what other people are seeing

OK his performances have improved the last two games but still no where good enough for HIBS

BILLYHIBS
07-10-2019, 10:23 PM

Just watched the full ninety minutes and I have to agree with the posters who were at the game Vela had a good game

He linked well with Hallberg and Mallan playing further forward in a free role he would drop back and cover for them when they ventured forward doing a lot of the spoiling unnoticed graft

For the record 25 touches first half one header caught in possession once almost led to a sheep goal

Second half 24 touches one header

Almost gave away a soft pen with a two handed nothing shove in McGinns back in the box who went down as if hit by a sniper

The midfield look as though they are starting to click creating chances working hard for each other linking up well and a lot of timely interventions and at 1-0 up were spraying the ball around confidently but they needed the cushion of another goal

James had a very good strike that hit the top of the net

Hallberg had a good game

The Horgan and Doidge subs I could understand but we took off Hallberg for Newall and immediately lost a goal

I appreciate Hallberg is short of match practice but we just seemed to be handing the game to Aberdeen ( dirty bassas by the way )

Quite funny on Doidges fourth chance the HibsTV commentator is actually screaming at him to square the ball to Scott Allan :confused:

WhileTheChief..
07-10-2019, 10:43 PM
Nice one, impressive and detailed report!!

That must have been painful to watch again so hats off to you for doing it.

Fair play to Vela then. Will be good to see him contribute something at a game at ER soon!!

Keep your eye on him!!

BILLYHIBS
08-10-2019, 06:30 AM
Nice one, impressive and detailed report!!

That must have been painful to watch again so hats off to you for doing it.

Fair play to Vela then. Will be good to see him contribute something at a game at ER soon!!

Keep your eye on him!!

:aok:

Hibee Mac
08-10-2019, 07:23 AM
Just watched the full ninety minutes and I have to agree with the posters who were at the game Vela had a good game

He linked well with Hallberg and Mallan playing further forward in a free role he would drop back and cover for them when they ventured forward doing a lot of the spoiling unnoticed graft

For the record 25 touches first half one header caught in possession once almost led to a sheep goal

Almost gave away a soft pen with a two handed nothing shove in McGinns back in the box who went down as if hit by a sniper

The midfield look as though they are starting to click creating chances working hard for each other linking up well and a lot of timely interventions and at 1-0 up were spraying the ball around confidently but they needed the cushion of another goal

Hallberg had a good game

The Horgan and Doidge subs I could understand but we took off Hallberg for Newall and immediately lost a goal

I appreciate Hallberg is short of match practice but we just seemed to be handing the game to Aberdeen ( dirty bassas by the way )

Quite funny on Doidges fourth chance the HibsTV commentator is actually screaming at him to square the ball to Scott Allan :confused:

Good post! Cheers Billy

Since452
08-10-2019, 07:33 AM

Yup. A big part in us absolutely dominating the game.

ddoc
08-10-2019, 08:51 AM

Hallberg had a good game

You have me thinking that I must have slept through the first half as the level of performance you have credited him with did not register.
I can only say for myself that the ‘spoiling unnoticed graft’ went unnoticed.
I dearly wish for him, and our other pre season signings, to start a run of good form and get us the results we desperately need in the next three games.

BILLYHIBS
08-10-2019, 09:11 AM
You have me thinking that I must have slept through the first half as the level of performance you have credited him with did not register.
I can only say for myself that the ‘spoiling unnoticed graft’ went unnoticed.
I dearly wish for him, and our other pre season signings, to start a run of good form and get us the results we desperately need in the next three games.

Was very surprised myself tbh

Spoiling unnoticed graft = tracking back nuisance value interceptions shepherding balls safely out maintaining possession mostly sideways but keeping the ball moving got about the pitch but still needs to close down quicker certainly improving

LeithMike
08-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Was very surprised myself tbh

Spoiling unnoticed graft = tracking back nuisance value interceptions shepherding balls safely out maintaining possession mostly sideways but keeping the ball moving got about the pitch but still needs to close down quicker certainly improvingI think Vela is probably suffering from the fact that we have too many similar central midfielders who want to patrol the centre of the park, pick up a loose ball and then get play moving by passing back or sideways. We dont really have many ball carriers though (other than Allan) and it's easy to shut down one outlet. Not seen much of Hallberg, but Vela and Mallan seem to fit into that Ilk.

I used to think McGeouch only really came into his own when Fyvie left as they too wanted to do the same things.

The key for Hibs going forward is to get the right mix in midfield, which might mean not shoe-horning in all your perceived best players. I'd definitely be looking at 3-5-2 with Hallberg, Vela and Allan in the middle with 2 strikers. Stevenson and Boyle served us well as wing-backs before so may work again. I don't think it would be my ideal formation but I see it as the best way of getting the best out of Doidge, Kamberi, Vela and Allan. Hanlon, Porteous and James would also give us more security at the back with Hanlon and James both able to push us forward down the wings from deep. I'd hope that that team would get us climbing the league.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
08-10-2019, 10:27 AM
Is married and has a young baby. Hopefully maturing.

FilipinoHibs
08-10-2019, 10:30 AM

Hallberg had a good game

Thanks confirms Sheep TV commentators and my impression of watching game live on Hibs TV. One poster said he had four touches first half. Just shows you what a lot of made up nonsense if you have it in for somebody.

BILLYHIBS
08-10-2019, 12:15 PM
I think Vela is probably suffering from the fact that we have too many similar central midfielders who want to patrol the centre of the park, pick up a loose ball and then get play moving by passing back or sideways. We dont really have many ball carriers though (other than Allan) and it's easy to shut down one outlet. Not seen much of Hallberg, but Vela and Mallan seem to fit into that Ilk.

I used to think McGeouch only really came into his own when Fyvie left as they too wanted to do the same things.

The key for Hibs going forward is to get the right mix in midfield, which might mean not shoe-horning in all your perceived best players. I'd definitely be looking at 3-5-2 with Hallberg, Vela and Allan in the middle with 2 strikers. Stevenson and Boyle served us well as wing-backs before so may work again. I don't think it would be my ideal formation but I see it as the best way of getting the best out of Doidge, Kamberi, Vela and Allan. Hanlon, Porteous and James would also give us more security at the back with Hanlon and James both able to push us forward down the wings from deep. I'd hope that that team would get us climbing the league.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Pretty much the way I see things developing but we could do with a SJM type that will carry the ball up the park from defence to attack
Need to stop letting teams off the hook
Onwards and upwards