PDA

View Full Version : Game Management - very poor

biotech
05-10-2019, 07:10 PM
We seem very bad a game management. In particular we seem unable to sit on a lead and consistently give away late goals. While this is partly down to nerves and possibly a fitness issue. It is mostly a coaching failure. The team seems to lack basic skills to ‘run the clock down’. This should be second nature to pro players and easily taught in training. Armature teams can learn this. So, what are the players doing in training? It’s not rocket science: slow the game down, play long balls on the diagonal, change formation, draw free kicks, pass to the nearest man. How hard can it be implement this schoolboy stuff.

Danderhall Hibs
05-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Lack of leaders.

penihibs
05-10-2019, 07:59 PM
We seem very bad a game management. In particular we seem unable to sit on a lead and consistently give away late goals. While this is partly down to nerves and possibly a fitness issue. It is mostly a coaching failure. The team seems to lack basic skills to ‘run the clock down’. This should be second nature to pro players and easily taught in training. Armature teams can learn this. So, what are the players doing in training? It’s not rocket science: slow the game down, play long balls on the diagonal, change formation, draw free kicks, pass to the nearest man. How hard can it be implement this schoolboy stuff.
Down to ten men and we still bring everyone back for corners.
He's not got s Scooby.
Get him punted!!

angus hibby
05-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Down to ten men and we still bring everyone back for corners.
He's not got s Scooby.
Get him punted!!

Whats the number of players we bring back for corners got to do with it? Man City do it all the time, so does Pep not have a scooby either...

SickBoy32
05-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Whats the number of players we bring back for corners got to do with it? Man City do it all the time, so does Pep not have a scooby either...

We have the extra man and yet he chooses not to stretch them by leaving someone up? Incredibly negative tactic and just epitomises PH

MWHIBBIES
05-10-2019, 09:27 PM
We have the extra man and yet he chooses not to stretch them by leaving someone up? Incredibly negative tactic and just epitomises PH

Yeah, we should've used all that lightening pace we've got to break away from a corner... thats what the problem is

The 90+2
05-10-2019, 09:28 PM
Yeah, we should've used all that lightening pace we've got to break away from a corner... thats what the problem is

We leave someone up they have to leave two players up to deal with our player. Nobody is saying they have to be fast players. The fast players come from the defending box if our player manages to hold a clearance up.

G B Young
05-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Not a lot wrong with the game management today. If we had a striker who could put away the gilt-edged chances he was presented with we'd have been two or three goals ahead before things started to get nervy and it would have been hailed as a very good away win.

Iggy Pope
05-10-2019, 09:33 PM
Bollox to the original post I’m afraid. Pass to the nearest man for Christ’s sake? There is not a single player in the Hibs side that is at such an early stage in his career that he needs ‘coached’ on game ****ing management.
The 11 that finished today’s game failed miserably to see the game out against 10 men and 1-0 up. The lot of them need their ****ing backsides kicked hard.

Captain Trips
05-10-2019, 09:48 PM
Doidge missed chances we know that why though did we allow ourselves to be almost counter attacking 10 men.

Everybody got that wrong once they went to 10 men. Manager and players.

eastmainsmsh
05-10-2019, 10:13 PM
canny hold on to the lead and sit back lose silly goals the subs are baffling at times

DetroitHibs
06-10-2019, 02:08 AM
Lack of confidence from the manager is seeping in to the players. Against ten men and 1-0 up, you HAVE to go for the jugular and play to forwards.

mvteng
06-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Not a lot wrong with the game management today.

For me Newell was the completed wrong sub, I don’t see what the thinking was behind that. Whitaker would have been a much more solid choice

fiolex1
06-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Manager brought in for his tactical knowledge and awareness. Unfortunately he doesn’t seem to have a clue on both fronts.

Cataplana
06-10-2019, 09:20 AM
Manager brought in for his tactical knowledge and awareness. Unfortunately he doesn’t seem to have a clue on both fronts.

A lot of reports say that it was the players that blew it yesterday. How can he do anything about them making bad decisions?

GreenCastle
06-10-2019, 09:28 AM
A lot of reports say that it was the players that blew it yesterday. How can he do anything about them making bad decisions?

He picks them / recruits them and coaches them ?

The manager put another luxury player on in Newell for a grafter in Hallberg.

Newell, Allan and Mallan should never be on the pitch together unless the game is out of sight.

You put on someone with energy or a defensive midfielder to protect - like the Derby the sub hurt us and we dropped 2 points.

JimBHibees
06-10-2019, 09:43 AM

Newell, Allan and Mallan should never be on the pitch together unless the game is out of sight.

You put on someone with energy or a defensive midfielder to protect - like the Derby the sub hurt us and we dropped 2 points.

Agree with the Newell sub being the wrong one and not having Mallan Allan and Newell on at same time. Last week was the same sub Hallberg with Newell when Mallan should have been hooked as he was offering no cover down Hibs right side. Seems a bit obsessed with Mallan taking over Hallberg role near end of the game which imo leave us wide open. Newell for Mallan with Whitty for Hallberg would have probably made more sense. Bottom line is though we should have seen it out with the chances but didn't a common theme emerging.

Bostonhibby
06-10-2019, 10:09 AM

You put on someone with energy or a defensive midfielder to protect - like the Derby the sub hurt us and we dropped 2 points.Watched as much as I could find and spoke to my mate who was there and I come to the same conclusion.

We thought we were getting someone with some tactical nous here but this game and the Hearts defeat suggests the opposite. Strange subs and a failure to make the right decisions at key times to close a game down.

I don't think we can generally afford a luxury like Newell at the moment never mind throwing him on when we did against 10 men.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Captain Trips
06-10-2019, 10:12 AM
Watched as much as I could find and spoke to my mate who was there and I come to the same conclusion.

We thought we were getting someone with some tactical nous here but this game and the Hearts defeat suggests the opposite. Strange subs and a failure to make the right decisions at key times to close a game down.

I don't think we can generally afford a luxury like Newell at the moment never mind throwing him on when we did against 10 men.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Indeed this was an opportunity for the manager to make big changes going forward when Aberdeen went down to 10 men. This is when they earn the money.

Centre Hawf
06-10-2019, 10:32 AM
Something isn't right in this. Why do we always sit back and allow teams opportunities to batter us till they get equalisers. It happened against St Johnstone, Hearts, and now Aberdeen.

ahibby
07-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Something isn't right in this. Why do we always sit back and allow teams opportunities to batter us till they get equalisers. It happened against St Johnstone, Hearts, and now Aberdeen.

Thats down to the players. We could look back over the years and find examples of it. Even when we won the SC one up and eventually played deeper and deeper ended 2 1 down. Until our corners and finishing got us the win. Lost a cup game at Tynecastle bcos we decided to sit on a draw ant take the game back to ER. That was Lennons team Paul Hanlon played that game too and all the games mentioned above. The last manager I remember with tactical ability to destroy opponents down to ten men was Tony Mowbray.

B.H.F.C
07-10-2019, 09:17 PM

Lack of leadership on the pitch. Severe lack of character, guts and determination to see games out. The senior players who have been around for a while have been letting us down big time IMO.

For all that Heckingbottom is getting abuse, deservedly, there are some things he can’t make the players do. Doidge’s poor finishing. The ‘attempt’ from Vela to block the winner in the derby. Nobody having the brains to stop Hearts taking a quick free kick. On the flip side, he obviously signed them.

ancient hibee
07-10-2019, 09:56 PM
And Morton.

matty_f
07-10-2019, 11:05 PM
Doidge missed chances we know that why though did we allow ourselves to be almost counter attacking 10 men.

Everybody got that wrong once they went to 10 men. Manager and players.

The whole point of the counter attack is to do exactly what we did. If Doidge finishes his excellent chances then everyone's talking about a masterstroke.

The manager can't legislate for finishing like that, what he can do is give the team the knowledge and capability to create those chances to put the game to bed.

The tactics didn't, imho, cost us the points - the tactics put us in a position to extend our lead at least three times with very good chances. That's a sign that they worked.

Captain Trips
07-10-2019, 11:10 PM
The whole point of the counter attack is to do exactly what we did. If Doidge finishes his excellent chances then everyone's talking about a masterstroke.

The manager can't legislate for finishing like that, what he can do is give the team the knowledge and capability to create those chances to put the game to bed.

The tactics didn't, imho, cost us the points - the tactics put us in a position to extend our lead at least three times with very good chances. That's a sign that they worked.

Yes I understand how counter attacking works, Perhaps we will have created even more chances for other players if we actually attacked the 10 men with purpose.

Well unfortunately we are not talking about a masterstroke and haven't looked like talking about one for months.