PDA

View Full Version : Hallberg

Smartie
05-10-2019, 05:57 PM
Is this guy our most important player?

Nobody can deny that we've been better since he came into our side.

Unfortunately he isn't yet able to last 90 minutes, and we've been picked off a few times and dropped points from strong positions after he's left the field.

If only more of Heckingbottom's signings had been able to make the sort of impact Hallberg has in his short time at the club.

Well done Melker on being able to "hit the ground running" rather than make excuses about having to wait a while "settling in" after a move to a foreign country.

bingo70
05-10-2019, 06:10 PM
Is this guy our most important player?

Nobody can deny that we've been better since he came into our side.

Unfortunately he isn't yet able to last 90 minutes, and we've been picked off a few times and dropped points from strong positions after he's left the field.

If only more of Heckingbottom's signings had been able to make the sort of impact Hallberg has in his short time at the club.

Well done Melker on being able to "hit the ground running" rather than make excuses about having to wait a while "settling in" after a move to a foreign country.

It’s not the player, it’s the position.

It’s beyond belief we went into the season with nobody that could play the defensive midfield/deep lying playmaker, call it what you want.

Without a midfielder that can tackle or sit deep and anticipate other teams attacking us of course our midfield will be over run.

I think the players we did sign have been pretty poor (being kind) but it’s the ones we didn’t sign that’s the most baffling.

That’s nothing against Hallberg by the way, he’s been alright from what I’ve seen, nothing more nothing less, having a midfielder that can sit though has undoubtedly helped other midfielders.

Franck Stanton
05-10-2019, 06:21 PM
Don't understand the substitutions Hecky makes. If he takes Hallberg off as he is tiring, then replace him with a defender, Whitaker today for instance, but Newall? REALLY.

Sir David Gray
05-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Don't understand the substitutions Hecky makes. If he takes Hallberg off as he is tiring, then replace him with a defender, Whitaker today for instance, but Newall? REALLY.

Incredible decision.

kaimendhibs
05-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Helberg is without doubt making a difference and I think will get better. I thought he went off injured today but the choice of sub was bizarre. Whitty could have fitted in there.
However, it was the sitters we missed that cost us the win

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

My_Wife_Camille
05-10-2019, 06:33 PM
He’ll be a key player for the next manager

Smartie
05-10-2019, 06:34 PM
Theoretically the substitution was mental.

I wasn't actually at the game - how did it work out in practice? Was it as bad as it sounded?

Were we not on the back foot for a reasonable amount of time before the change?

Would a different substitution have been likely to have a different outcome at the goal for Aberdeen?

(Not trying to be arsey here, I agree with the criticism Heckingbottom is receiving for this change but I didn't see the game so I just want to know how justified the criticism really is.)

Keith_M
05-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Incredible decision.

Incredibly stupid decision.

Crab apple
05-10-2019, 06:40 PM

Not having a like for like replacement in this position is another example of the poor transfer window this summer which will ultimately lead to PH losing his job.

bingo70
05-10-2019, 06:41 PM

I wasn't actually at the game - how did it work out in practice? Was it as bad as it sounded?

Would a different substitution have been likely to have a different outcome at the goal for Aberdeen?

(Not trying to be arsey here, I agree with the criticism Heckingbottom is receiving for this change but I didn't see the game so I just want to know how justified the criticism really is.)

Wasn’t there either but I’m guessing the logic was to move Mallan more central and have Newell and Horgan on the wings.

HendoDelivered
06-10-2019, 12:10 PM
Baller.

green with envy
06-10-2019, 04:56 PM
Wasn’t there either but I’m guessing the logic was to move Mallan more central and have Newell and Horgan on the wings.

I think Horgan was off by then. I also can't remember Newell touching the ball when he came on.

Iain G
06-10-2019, 05:20 PM

Yeah he should have brought Marvin Bartley on....oh!

angus hibby
06-10-2019, 10:31 PM
Incredible decision.

So Heckingbottom gets accused of being negative by some on here for Hibs sitting back when Aberdeen went down to ten men.

He brought Newell on for Hallberg, which is a more attack minded player for a more defensive one and gets criticised by you and others for not making a defensive substitution. I know it’s all about opinions but seems Heckingbottom is going to get slaughtered whatever he does.

SMAXXA
06-10-2019, 10:35 PM
So Heckingbottom gets accused of being negative by some on here for Hibs sitting back when Aberdeen went down to ten men.

He brought Newell on for Hallberg, which is a more attack minded player for a more defensive one and gets criticised by you and others for not making a defensive substitution. I know it’s all about opinions but seems Heckingbottom is going to get slaughtered whatever he does.

I kinda agree with this he can’t do right for wrong but from a pure decision making in this instance I think he got it wrong, equally I think he was right to put Kamberi on at ibrox until Mackies brain fart

ABZHFC
07-10-2019, 12:59 AM

I see your point, and I do think that some are being unfair when attacking Heckingbottom for things like this. All I would say is perhaps it speaks volumes about recruitment that we had no one to turn to who could play the same role with any sort of competence once Hallberg went off injured, and we had to put Newell on instead and change our shape. From the moment they hit the post, you could sense a goal for them was coming, of course that should have been irrelevant as we should have been 2 or 3 up with the chances we had, but it's so frustrating that, defensively, we cannot seem to hang on to leads. Only time we have this season was St Mirren at home and we scored with 5 minutes to go :rolleyes:

Lunatic
07-10-2019, 03:20 AM
I know it’s all about opinions but seems Heckingbottom is going to get slaughtered whatever he does.

No, no. Things he does that result in us picking up 3 points, will not result in him getting slaughtered.
Things he does that result in us throwing away a lead against 10 men however, would result in criticism even if he was a popular manager.

calumhibee1
07-10-2019, 07:14 AM

:agree:

To be fair I think it was the wrong decision. However, as you say, if he’d made a defensive sub he would have been slaughtered for inviting them on to us, trying to settle for 1-0 etc.

gorgie greens
07-10-2019, 07:48 AM
He’ll be a key player for the next manager

He has only got a 3 year contract :confused:

BoomtownHibees
07-10-2019, 07:58 AM
I kinda agree with this he can’t do right for wrong but from a pure decision making in this instance I think he got it wrong, equally I think he was right to put Kamberi on at ibrox until Mackies brain fart

He brought Kamberi on after we went to 10 men at Ibrox

The_Horde
07-10-2019, 08:07 AM

To be fair I think it was the wrong decision. However, as you say, if he’d made a defensive sub he would have been slaughtered for inviting them on to us, trying to settle for 1-0 etc.

Bringing on someone to help deal with Aberdeen chucking high balls our way would've been preferable.

Not sure how many times Hecky needs to make this mistake before he learns.

hibbydad
07-10-2019, 08:13 AM
Bringing on someone to help deal with Aberdeen chucking high balls our way would've been preferable.

Hecky does not have a clue how to manage a game

calumhibee1
07-10-2019, 08:16 AM

And the same thing would have been thrown at him had he brought on Whittaker and we conceded. Or had we not created a barrel load of chances that we missed.

Either way, if we didn’t win the game then it didn’t matter what he done, he was going to get hammered for it and told he should have done the opposite. Easy to say in hindsight of course but plenty folk have been calling for us to create more chances, don’t settle for 1-0 etc yet when he makes an attacking sub at 1-0 he’s ripped to shreds for it and told he should have brought on a defender for a midfielder.

I can just imagine the meltdown had he done that against 10 men and conceded. We should have been going for the 2nd, what’s he doing bringing on another defender and trying to defend a 1-0 lead against 10 men would undoubtedly have been the cry.

calumhibee1
07-10-2019, 08:51 AM

I agree with that. However if he’d done that and we’d conceded I don’t doubt for a second he would have been ripped apart for it.

MrRobot
07-10-2019, 08:55 AM

it seems like we were managing the game fine and creating chances that our striker failed to put away.

calumhibee1
07-10-2019, 08:56 AM
it seems like we were managing the game fine and creating chances that our striker failed to put away.

I didn’t see it but it sounds like Doidge (who I’ve praised a lot recently) missing chance after chance was our issue. Not the managers tactics or game management.

MrRobot
07-10-2019, 09:01 AM

I didn’t see it but it sounds like Doidge (who I’ve praised a lot recently) missing chance after chance was our issue. Not the managers tactics or game management.

Exactly. The chances were there but Doidge has had a stinker. Seems like we easily should have won.

SickBoy32
07-10-2019, 09:05 AM

So instead of it being the managers tactics or game management, it was his below-par signings that cost us this week!

1 win in 8 league games with his side, 1 win in 13 league games (5 of which he had the benefit of a better team at his disposal) - are we not getting close to running out of excuses?

calumhibee1
07-10-2019, 09:07 AM
So instead of it being the managers tactics or game management, it was his below-par signings that cost us this week!

1 win in 8 league games with his side, 1 win in 13 league games (5 of which he had the benefit of a better team at his disposal) - are we not getting close to running out of excuses?

That’s not the point that was being discussed though. That point is being discussed on god knows how many other threads.

The point on this thread is about the sub he made and how he approached seeing out the game.

SickBoy32
07-10-2019, 09:10 AM
That’s not the point that was being discussed though. That point is being discussed on god knows how many other threads.

What was being discussed? PH's ability to 'manage a game'?

He has managed our games to the tune of 1 win in 13 FFS, variety of excuses have been provided on god knows how many threads.

calumhibee1
07-10-2019, 09:10 AM

He has managed our games to the tune of 1 win in 13 FFS, variety of excuses have been provided on god knows how many threads.

:aok:

Ok pal.

The_Horde
07-10-2019, 09:19 AM
I agree with that. However if he’d done that and we’d conceded I don’t doubt for a second he would have been ripped apart for it.

If he'd done that, we'd have won the game.

But also, bringing on additional height doesn't necessarily mean bringing on a defender.

Helensburghhibs
07-10-2019, 09:48 AM

That's just not true tho is it. We dealt with all the balls pumped into the box well the whole match. The goal we lost was from a corner. It doesn't matter who was in the pitch, porteus would always be the man marking Cosgrove. So would have made no difference whatsoever. But that doesn't fit the agenda. The last 2 games have seen a marked improvement in performance both with and without the ball. We created more clear chances at Aberdeen than In any other game this season and due to a striker not finishing them cost us points. Nothing to do with game management or subs.

The_Horde
07-10-2019, 09:55 AM
That's just not true tho is it. We dealt with all the balls pumped into the box well the whole match. The goal we lost was from a corner. It doesn't matter who was in the pitch, porteus would always be the man marking Cosgrove. So would have made no difference whatsoever. But that doesn't fit the agenda. The last 2 games have seen a marked improvement in performance both with and without the ball. We created more clear chances at Aberdeen than In any other game this season and due to a striker not finishing them cost us points. Nothing to do with game management or subs.

He'd taken off Doidge and Hallberg. Those two (particularly Doidge) were always involved in our corner defence. Particularly Doidge, who has proven to be far handier in our box than theirs.

If Hallberg was injured Whittaker should've come on, bring a bit of composure and height at a tough time in the match for us.

Helensburghhibs
07-10-2019, 10:00 AM
He'd taken off Doidge and Hallberg. Those two (particularly Doidge) were always involved in our corner defence. Particularly Doidge, who has proven to be far handier in our box than theirs.

If Hallberg was injured Whittaker should've come on, bring a bit of composure and height at a tough time in the match for us.

At what point would that have made a difference to the goal. Our issue wasn't defending headers apart from the goal and as I have said it was always going to be Ryan picking him up

The_Horde
07-10-2019, 10:19 AM
At what point would that have made a difference to the goal. Our issue wasn't defending headers apart from the goal and as I have said it was always going to be Ryan picking him up

It's pretty obvious. Neither of those guys were on the pitch or in the box. The ball came into the exact area Doidge normally hangs about (he doesn't mark anyone, he marks an area)

Once we were in the position of defending a one goal lead, we should've left Doidge on. He gets us up the pitch and plays really simple football, Kamberi came on and gave the ball away time and time again by trying to be positive. Which I won't blame him for, I like that he tries things normally, but it didn't relieve any pressure.

Doidge should've stayed on the pitch, Hecky used the two strikers the wrong way round IMO.

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2019, 10:38 AM

He’d have been better off bringing on a traffic cone and sitting it where Hallberg would have been, at least that would have been in the way a few times.

BILLYHIBS
08-10-2019, 07:02 AM
Watched the whole game back last night and I thought Hallberg had a good game

He is the perfect foil in our midfield as he is a natural footballer and has a physical presence and can only get better as his match fitness improves

As others have said I am still scratching my head as to why he was subbed for Joe Newall when we were under the cosh from an aerial bombardment from the Aberdeen hammer throwers

When I played football if you had a player having a solid game playing well at the back you would leave him on to carry on or at the very worst bring on another defender not your best mate an ineffective midfielder/ winger

We basically just handed the game to a ten man Aberdeen and of course they scored

jacomo
10-10-2019, 08:30 AM

You might have to accept that PH just isn’t doing a very good job.

The 90+2
10-10-2019, 08:45 AM
You might have to accept that PH just isn’t doing a very good job.

Impossible.

The same crowd see “improvement” to bark on about from being humiliated ***** against hearts to not so ***** draws in the last three games.

calumhibee1
10-10-2019, 08:52 AM
Impossible.

The same crowd see “improvement” to bark on about from being humiliated ***** against hearts to not so ***** draws in the last three games.

Or maybe the fact that we’re 3 unbeaten, one of them a game that got us to Hampden, one at home to the champions who at the time had won every domestic game this season and one away to Aberdeen where we haven’t won in 7 years or so while outplaying them is actually not that bad going considering where we were?

I’m not quite sure how anyone can see that as anything other than improvement. Our previous form had people claiming we’d lose all three. We lost none. Is it enough improvement? The next 3 games will probably give us a better idea. But I can’t see any way that it can be claimed it’s not an improvement.

Gloucester Hibs
10-10-2019, 09:12 AM
Or maybe the fact that we’re 3 unbeaten, one of them a game that got us to Hampden, one at home to the champions who at the time had won every domestic game this season and one away to Aberdeen where we haven’t won in 7 years or so while outplaying them is actually not that bad going considering where we were?

I’m not quite sure how anyone can see that as anything other than improvement. Our previous form had people claiming we’d lose all three. We lost none. Is it enough improvement? The next 3 games will probably give us a better idea. But I can’t see any way that it can be claimed it’s not an improvement.

Steady improvement is great but there's no denying results have been appalling. For me he's entered win or bust territory; at some stage there has to come a tipping point and a failure to take all 3 points at Hamilton for me should represent the end. A spirited draw coming away with would've/could've/should'ves won't cut it this time.

calumhibee1
10-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Steady improvement is great but there's no denying results have been appalling. For me he's entered win or bust territory; at some stage there has to come a tipping point and a failure to take all 3 points at Hamilton for me should represent the end. A spirited draw coming away with would've/could've/should'ves won't cut it this time.

They have been. But the improvement side of it that people are talking about is the last three games, not the games before that. The last three results have been pretty good imo. As someone said, every one of the teams we’ve played in the last three finished well above us last year, we’ve played two of them away from home and we’re undefeated.

I agree that the next three games are vital though. Needs at least 7 points imo and if he can get that then I reckon he’s bought himself a good bit time to see how things go.

Sir David Gray
10-10-2019, 09:26 AM

I've just noticed your reply to my post.

I have no idea why any manager, when the team is defending a 1-0 lead away from home with 15 minutes left, would replace an injured defensive midfielder with someone who not only is not a defensively minded player but who has also struggled to fit in at the club so far.

Especially when another defensively minded player in Steven Whittaker was also sitting on the bench and who had done very well the week before when coming on against Celtic.

The decision still baffles me almost a week later, I've got no idea what he was thinking about.

lyonhibs
10-10-2019, 09:28 AM
They have been. But the improvement side of it that people are talking about is the last three games, not the games before that. The last three results have been pretty good imo. As someone said, every one of the teams we’ve played in the last three finished well above us last year, we’ve played two of them away from home and we’re undefeated.

I agree that the next three games are vital though. Needs at least 7 points imo and if he can get that then I reckon he’s bought himself a good bit time to see how things go.

They are an improvement from an incredibly low base. A bit like saying getting punched in the baws is an improvement on getting a double kneecapping.

The Celtic result was the undoubted surprise of those 3 and well done to Heckingbottom for that, but we shouldn't be looking at a run of 3 games with 2 goals scored from open play as an improvement with any sense of overwhelming happiness IMO, it just serves as a stark reminder of how abysmal we were before.

So, like you say, to the future. Next 3 games should really be 9 points if we harbour any ambitions of salvaging an acceptable season for Hibs this year, 7 points minimum.

calumhibee1
10-10-2019, 09:31 AM
They are an improvement from an incredibly low base. A bit like saying getting punched in the baws is an improvement on getting a double kneecapping.

The Celtic result was the undoubted surprise of those 3 and well done to Heckingbottom for that, but we shouldn't be looking at a run of 3 games with 2 goals scored from open play as an improvement with any sense of overwhelming happiness IMO, it just serves as a stark reminder of how abysmal we were before.

So, like you say, to the future. Next 3 games should really be 9 points if we harbour any ambitions of salvaging an acceptable season for Hibs this year, 7 points minimum.

We were starting from an incredibly low base, but had we been plodding along nicely in the league this season then they 3 results would still have been pretty decent imo. They weren’t purely decent results because we’d been ****. They were just decent results in their own right regardless of what has been going on I’d have said.

Fingers crossed for the next three though.

J-C
10-10-2019, 09:42 AM
Hallberg has a good football brain, its obvious to see but he's not played a lot since around March.

As for taking him off for Newell, well that's just poor game management from PH, it changed the shape and balance of the team which was doing the job well.

Franck Stanton
10-10-2019, 10:25 AM

I have no idea why any manager, when the team is defending a 1-0 lead away from home with 15 minutes left, would replace an injured defensive midfielder with someone who not only is not a defensively minded player but who has also struggled to fit in at the club so far.

Especially when another defensively minded player in Steven Whittaker was also sitting on the bench and who had done very well the week before when coming on against Celtic.

The decision still baffles me almost a week later, I've got no idea what he was thinking about.

Agree entirely with this post. Incredible decision imo apart from the fact Newell is not & never will be a football player. The only way that imposter should wear a hibs strip is if he buys one at the shop.

Bostonhibby
10-10-2019, 10:38 AM

The decision still baffles me almost a week later, I've got no idea what he was thinking about.[emoji106]

Give me a shout if you do find out.

I'm still trying to work out what our style/tactics are.

This never seen before level of fitness/ high press chat is baffling to say the least, maybe it means we'll get quite a few draws between defeats?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

The 90+2
10-10-2019, 10:54 AM

It’s improvement from ultra ***** to moderate *****. How far have we fallen that a 0-0 draw penalty win victory to Killie and blowing 1-0 up against 10 men Aberdeen that it’s seen as a good thing and boasted about improvement. It’s utter dross, it’s improvement from almost rock bottom after losing to the worst hearts team in 45 years but nothing, nothing st all to brag about and it’s completely deluded to claim any corner has been turned. It’s basic acceptance of being absolutely *****! I can’t get my head around it.

calumhibee1
10-10-2019, 11:01 AM
It’s improvement from ultra ***** to moderate *****. How far have we fallen that a 0-0 draw penalty win victory to Killie and blowing 1-0 up against 10 men Aberdeen that it’s seen as a good thing and boasted about improvement. It’s utter dross, it’s improvement from almost rock bottom after losing to the worst hearts team in 45 years but nothing, nothing st all to brag about and it’s completely deluded to claim any corner has been turned. It’s basic acceptance of being absolutely *****! I can’t get my head around it.

If the team with Allan, McGeough and McGinn in midfield had that same 3 game run and had got through to Hampden in a difficult away cup tie, drew with a 100% record Celtic side at home and drew at Pittodrie having played well, nobody would be criticising them. I’m not quite sure why this side getting the same sort of results is then described as moderate *****.

We’d been playing pretty ***** and getting pretty ***** results before it. The last three games haven’t been “moderate *****” surely and it’s far from an acceptance of being ***** by acknowledging that we’ve actually done alright the last few games.

MrRobot
10-10-2019, 12:00 PM
If the team with Allan, McGeough and McGinn in midfield had that same 3 game run and had got through to Hampden in a difficult away cup tie, drew with a 100% record Celtic side at home and drew at Pittodrie having played well, nobody would be criticising them. I’m not quite sure why this side getting the same sort of results is then described as moderate *****.

We’d been playing pretty ***** and getting pretty ***** results before it. The last three games haven’t been “moderate *****” surely and it’s far from an acceptance of being ***** by acknowledging that we’ve actually done alright the last few games.

We've drawn 3 games against teams who all finished above us last year(though we should have smashed Aberdeen, badly let down by Doidge), having played better football and only conceding 2 goals(1 of which was a joke) and yet people can't see this as improvement?

It's not to say where we are is acceptable because it isn't, but nobody can say we havent played better or got better results in the last 3 games against very good opposition.

People have their mind made up about Hecky though so nothing will change that.

allezsauzee
10-10-2019, 12:09 PM

or if you choose not to cherry pick your stats to suit your argument. He has won 11 drawn 9 and lost 8 at Hibs.

Oscar T Grouch
10-10-2019, 12:16 PM
or if you choose not to cherry pick your stats to suit your argument. He has won 11 drawn 9 and lost 8 at Hibs.

That is exactly what you are doing, you're including the wins from the end of last season when we had a run of games against bottom 6 sides and the league cup group stage wins where we struggled against part timers. Lets just look at the league this season, he has won 1 in 8, he has the same record that Levein has, except our win came at home to St Mirren, not away to our nearest rivals.

calumhibee1
10-10-2019, 12:20 PM
That is exactly what you are doing, you're including the wins from the end of last season when we had a run of games against bottom 6 sides and the league cup group stage wins where we struggled against part timers. Lets just look at the league this season, he has won 1 in 8, he has the same record that Levein has, except our win came at home to St Mirren, not away to our nearest rivals.

I don’t have an issue with people cherry picking stats to suit their argument, it’s what people do, myself included. I’m not sure you can call using all the stats available cherry picking though. He’s not picked anything, he’s used every single game.

Oscar T Grouch
10-10-2019, 12:24 PM
I don’t have an issue with people cherry picking stats but I’m not sure you can call using all the stats available cherry picking. He’s not picked anything, he’s used every single game.

Which has skewed the reality of the situation. He has included games against part timers in the league cup and he has used the results from the end of last year. Right now we are a team 3rd bottom of the league with one win in 8. We threw 2 points away last Saturday and we recently got humped at home from the worst hearts team in a long time. So yes using all the stats does give an unrealistic outlook at the team at the moment.

calumhibee1
10-10-2019, 12:32 PM
Which has skewed the reality of the situation. He has included games against part timers in the league cup and he has used the results from the end of last year. Right now we are a team 3rd bottom of the league with one win in 8. We threw 2 points away last Saturday and we recently got humped at home from the worst hearts team in a long time. So yes using all the stats does give an unrealistic outlook at the team at the moment.

Not using the stats he used against part timers etc is cherry picking - because you’re picking what stats you are and aren’t using. Using them all isn’t, whether that gives an unrealistic outlook or not.

SickBoy32
10-10-2019, 12:40 PM

Whatever stats you want to cling to don't really hide the truth. At the end of the day he's lost the vast majority of the support and it is only a matter of time until he's gone.

Hopefully sooner rather than later before he causes even more damage.

Oscar T Grouch
10-10-2019, 12:48 PM
Not using the stats he used against part timers etc is cherry picking - because you’re picking what stats you are and aren’t using. Using them all isn’t, whether that gives an unrealistic outlook or not.

:aok: So are we just arguing over semantics, which isn't the point and you know that? Cherrypicking stats or not, either way the manager is consistently under performing and his substitution of Hallberg and Doidge on Saturday cost us the 2 points. That is the reality of the situation and having watched every game bar the Elgin one since PH has arrived at Hibs, I see with my own eyes, not needing any stats, that we are a much worse team than last season and we are grossly underperforming in every game. I left Pittodrie gutted on Saturday because we had 3 points in our hands and the managers actions chucked two of them away. The win at Killie was really poor, the draw against Celtc the best we have been this year but still lacked quality.

calumhibee1
10-10-2019, 01:06 PM
:aok: So are we just arguing over semantics, which isn't the point and you know that? Cherrypicking stats or not, either way the manager is consistently under performing and his substitution of Hallberg and Doidge on Saturday cost us the 2 points. That is the reality of the situation and having watched every game bar the Elgin one since PH has arrived at Hibs, I see with my own eyes, not needing any stats, that we are a much worse team than last season and we are grossly underperforming in every game. I left Pittodrie gutted on Saturday because we had 3 points in our hands and the managers actions chucked two of them away. The win at Killie was really poor, the draw against Celtc the best we have been this year but still lacked quality.

Yeah.. we are arguing over semantics to be fair, apologies :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
10-10-2019, 01:11 PM
Agree entirely with this post. Incredible decision imo apart from the fact Newell is not & never will be a football player. The only way that imposter should wear a hibs strip is if he buys one at the shop.

Newall current is a football player and has been for years. Just because he hasn't yet shown he is good enough for Hibs doesn't make him an imposter.

The 90+2
10-10-2019, 01:53 PM

Kilmarnock we had no shots on goal.

Celtic, better, rode our luck, good for a struggling team, we’ve played a whole of a lot better against them over the past three years scraping a draw is a major step back from even last season.

There’s no way i would have been happy throwing away a lead against a poor Aberdeen side depleted with injuries.

If people are happy with that it’s accepting mediocrity and accepting the level Hecky has taken us down to. Improvement because we didn’t get papped like we did in Kilmarnock before with no shots on goal or we managed a home draw instead of a loss against the worst hearts team there’s been in my life is not good enough improvement. We sitill haven’t won a game of football since the first game of the season.

The 90+2
10-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Newall current is a football player and has been for years. Just because he hasn't yet shown he is good enough for Hibs doesn't make him an imposter.

He’s done nothing in a hibs top to suggest anything but he’s impersonating a footballer. He could have been Ronaldo in a past life for what it’s worth. See Ray Wilkins for a perfect example - he was an imposter at Hibernian.

MrRobot
10-10-2019, 02:11 PM
He’s done nothing in a hibs top to suggest anything but he’s impersonating a footballer. He could have been Ronaldo in a past life for what it’s worth. See Ray Wilkins for a perfect example - he was an imposter at Hibernian.

He's not really had much of a chance yet though has he? He has scored a goal and a penalty that helped us go through in the cup in his limited time so far, but other than that I can't say if he is a good or bad signing yet.

The 90+2
10-10-2019, 02:28 PM
He's not really had much of a chance yet though has he? He has scored a goal and a penalty that helped us go through in the cup in his limited time so far, but other than that I can't say if he is a good or bad signing yet.

You could say the same for Pa Kubjabi after initially looking humpty, which Newell has had every time he’s played. League cup included.

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2019, 02:43 PM
Pa Kujabi?

Aw naw man I had forgotten about him

You just ruined ma day 😁

MrRobot
10-10-2019, 03:24 PM
Pa Kujabi?

Aw naw man I had forgotten about him

You just ruined ma day 😁

That free kick :greengrin

Gordy M
10-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Kilmarnock we had no shots on goal.

Celtic, better, rode our luck, good for a struggling team, we’ve played a whole of a lot better against them over the past three years scraping a draw is a major step back from even last season.

There’s no way i would have been happy throwing away a lead against a poor Aberdeen side depleted with injuries.

If people are happy with that it’s accepting mediocrity and accepting the level Hecky has taken us down to. Improvement because we didn’t get papped like we did in Kilmarnock before with no shots on goal or we managed a home draw instead of a loss against the worst hearts team there’s been in my life is not good enough improvement. We sitill haven’t won a game of football since the first game of the season.

No one i can see is accepting mediocrity or indeed is convinced that Heckingbottom is the answer. However, there has been an improvement in the last few games. There were various posters proclaiming we would be pumped out the cup and thrashed by both Aberdeen and Celtic......that didnt happen, however these same posters are now coming up with all sorts of excuses as to why these results arent any good?? It seems to me if we win our next three, the same posters will say, ah well we expected to win them, what about the start of the season though.....? You are not losing any face by saying the results have improved, surely thats what we all want.....isnt it?

MWHIBBIES
10-10-2019, 03:44 PM

His goal and performance at Elgin suggest he isn't impersonating anything. He just isn't good enough at this level. Neither am I. Neither are you. Not a reason for personal abuse.

JimBHibees
10-10-2019, 04:24 PM
His goal and performance at Elgin suggest he isn't impersonating anything. He just isn't good enough at this level. Neither am I. Neither are you. Not a reason for personal abuse.

Thought he played well in that game. Did he not get motm?

The 90+2
10-10-2019, 05:04 PM

Fair point 👍

The 90+2
10-10-2019, 05:05 PM
No one i can see is accepting mediocrity or indeed is convinced that Heckingbottom is the answer. However, there has been an improvement in the last few games. There were various posters proclaiming we would be pumped out the cup and thrashed by both Aberdeen and Celtic......that didnt happen, however these same posters are now coming up with all sorts of excuses as to why these results arent any good?? It seems to me if we win our next three, the same posters will say, ah well we expected to win them, what about the start of the season though.....? You are not losing any face by saying the results have improved, surely thats what we all want.....isnt it?

Killie was pish, we qualified though.

Celtic less so piss.

Aberdeen we blew a lead against a **** side who had ten men, how can anyone describe that anything but a poor result?

MacGruber
10-10-2019, 05:40 PM

Celtic less so piss.

Aberdeen we blew a lead against a **** side who had ten men, how can anyone describe that anything but a poor result?

Killie away - qualifying the be all and end all. Cup game.

Celtic - very good performance.

Aberdeen - blew the lead against 10 men. Played better 11 v 11

Gordy M
10-10-2019, 05:47 PM

Celtic less so piss.

You have just kinda proved my point, not willing to give any credit at all. Just out of interest, tell me any season those three results would be seen as poor results, ive been watching hibs for about 30 years and cannot remember when beating killie away in a cup quarter, drawing at home to celtic and away to aberdeen would be seen as anything other than good/decent results.

bigwheel
10-10-2019, 06:01 PM
You have just kinda proved my point, not willing to give any credit at all. Just out of interest, tell me any season those three results would be seen as poor results, ive been watching hibs for about 30 years and cannot remember when beating killie away in a cup quarter, drawing at home to celtic and away to aberdeen would be seen as anything other than good/decent results.

That’s a great point...people aren’t behind the manager because of the start to the season - so are unwilling to give credit for recent games.... those last 3 results are absolutely acceptable....

calumhibee1
10-10-2019, 06:15 PM

Agree with every word of that.

The same posters were adamant if results and/or performances improved that they’d give him time and credit. Results have improved in the last three with three pretty decent results being picked up and the last two games having significantly improved performances to go with the results.

I don’t think I’ll be the only one who’s not surprised that he’s getting no credit whatsoever from some.

Sammy7nil
10-10-2019, 06:23 PM

A wee bit harsh on Ray he was last his best but imposter no. He rarely have the ball away even if it was five yard side way passes :greengrin

The 90+2
10-10-2019, 06:24 PM

The same posters were adamant if results and/or performances improved that they’d give him time and credit. Results have improved in the last three with three pretty decent results being picked up and the last two games having significantly improved performances to go with the results.

I don’t think I’ll be the only one who’s not surprised that he’s getting no credit whatsoever from some.

He’s won no game since the first game of the season Callum? It’s a disaster of a start! Omg we didn’t lose to ten men Aberdeen or we took Killie to penalties. Credit? Maybe if we ever win a game with an performance to show for it? Blowing a lead off Aberdeen and a other couple of draws after being embarrassed in many games before that? No chance. It’s the same kind of clutching that happened under Butcher and Fenlon.

The 90+2
10-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Any season a 0-0 draw with no shots on goal at Killie is decent as is blowing a 1-0 lead with a team with ten men? On paper they look okay, looking deeper into them I wouldn’t say creating sod all in Kilmarnock and blowing it big time up north is decent at all.

Can you name me any other season it’s been said it’s decent to be third bottom of the league having won one and that was on the opening day of the season? There has to be vast vast improvement otherwise the team has regressed badly from last and there’s been zero indication it’s hoing to happen.

People delighted we didn’t get pumped again of Killie with a fraction of our budget? Not for me.

J-C
10-10-2019, 06:31 PM

There has been a slight improvement but to be honest we couldn't get much worse. Zero shots in 120 mins versus Killie still aint great, more fight and determination against Celtic, bit of a lucky at the goal and held on for a draw but it was backs to the wall stuff for the last 30 mins. The Aberdeen game was better but the game management was poor plus the misses by the strikers, yes it's been a wee tad better but lets not get too carried away that a corner's been turned, lets wait and see if he can turn these fighting performances into better attractive wins, only then will the fans get on his side.

Gordy M
10-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Any season a 0-0 draw with no shots on goal at Killie is decent as is blowing a 1-0 lead with a team with ten men? On paper they look okay, looking deeper into them I wouldn’t say creating sod all in Kilmarnock and blowing it big time up north is decent at all.

Can you name me any other season it’s been said it’s decent to be third bottom of the league having won one and that was on the opening day of the season? There has to be vast vast improvement otherwise the team has regressed badly from last and there’s been zero indication it’s hoing to happen.

People delighted we didn’t get pumped again of Killie with a fraction of our budget? Not for me.

Ah, now you are changing the discussion. No one said that waa acceptable, please point me to where anyone has said that? all i said was that results had improved and you still cant admit that they have. And was i delighted we beat Kilmarnock to get to a semi final....yes i was.
Blowing it big time up north?? Jesus. Yes we should have won but a point was still decent result. Getting absolutely roasted 4-0 up there under Lennon was blowing big time, not 1-1.

B.H.F.C
10-10-2019, 06:48 PM

He’ll get credit when it’s earned. It’s not earned yet. Current form is still relegation form, 1 win in 8 league games. Or 1 in 13 if you include post split.

The cup is the one positive.