PDA

View Full Version : Turned A Corner? - My Honest Opinion

Keith_M
05-10-2019, 05:24 PM
There was quite a bit of discussion after the Killie and Celtc games as to whether Hibs under Heckingbottom had finally "turned a corner" and I think the honest answer to that is... yes, they have.

As everybody could clearly see in the games directly before the Killie match, Hibs were absolutely atrocious. There was little fight and our new signings had yet to contribute anything to show why Hecky signed them in the first place. It's fair to say that some of those signings hadn't had much game time at that point, so it wasn't so easy to pass a fair judgement.

I think the last three games genuinely have been different.

More of his signings are now starting games and seem to be playing the part they were signed for. For instance, Doidge was a handful for the Celtc defence and part of the reason they were unable to contribute as much to attacking play as some of them normally do. By all accounts, Hallberg is decent enough as a defensive midfielder and him having to leave the field of play today seemed to play a part in Aberdeen coming back into the game.

The players that were at the club when Hecky arrived have now got the message as to what he wants from them. For example, Allan is not the player that we remember from his last spell at Hibs, but is now deployed to perform a specific role. He might not look particularly creative but he has his role.

There were reports from those at the game today that Hibs players were falling over at the slightest touch, a tactic normally played to perfection by the home side. This wouldn't surprise me in the slightest as the last two games I've been at, I've seen Hibs players being given instructions to dive (diving hand signals from team-mates being the obvious sign).

I honestly think this is what Hecky had in mind when he spoke of the "high press", the ability to stop the other side from being creative. In that respect, for the last three matches, it's hard to argue that they haven't done exactly that. He made no claims as to how creative his own side would be, or about winning games by scoring a barrow load of goals. His choice of player and tactics would suggest that it just isn't how he sees the game being played.

So, have we turned a corner? Yes, we have. Hecky appears to finally have has his side playing his way, the way he had his teams playing at the clubs he previously managed.

The most important question is not "have we turned a corner?"... but...

"is this really the direction I want my club to be heading?"

BoomtownHibees
05-10-2019, 05:25 PM
I hope you mean Hallberg and not Newall??

Keith_M
05-10-2019, 05:28 PM
I hope you mean Hallberg and not Newall??

I did, now fixed

:greengrin

scooby
05-10-2019, 05:35 PM
And my answer to that is a resounding NO. I'm not sure what corner we've turned but we're on a dreary, monotonous journey down a one way street.😭

hibsbollah
05-10-2019, 05:36 PM
There was quite a bit of discussion after the Killie and Celtc games as to whether Hibs under Heckingbottom had finally "turned a corner" and I think the honest answer to that is... yes, they have.

As everybody could clearly see in the games directly before the Killie match, Hibs were absolutely atrocious. There was little fight and our new signings had yet to contribute anything to show why Hecky signed them in the first place. It's fair to say that some of those signings hadn't had much game time at that point, so it wasn't so easy to pass a fair judgement.

More of his signings are now starting games and seem to be playing the part they were signed for. For instance, Doidge was a handful for the Celtc defence and part of the reason they were unable to contribute as much to attacking play as some of them normally do. By all accounts, Hallberg is decent enough as a defensive midfielder and him having to leave the field of play today seemed to play a part in Aberdeen coming back into the game.

The players that were at the club when Hecky arrived have now got the message as to what he wants from them. For example, Allan is not the player that we remember from his last spell at Hibs, but is now deployed to perform a specific role. He might not look particularly creative but he has his role.

There were reports from those at the game today that Hibs players were falling over at the slightest touch, a tactic normally played to perfection by the home side. This wouldn't surprise me in the slightest as the last two games I've been at, I've seen Hibs players being given instructions to dive (diving hand signals from team-mates being the obvious sign).

I honestly think this is what Hecky had in mind when he spoke of the "high press", the ability to stop the other side from being creative. In that respect, for the last three matches, it's hard to argue that they haven't done exactly that. He made no claims as to how creative his own side would be, or about winning games by scoring a barrow load of goals. His choice of player and tactics would suggest that it just isn't how he sees the game being played.

So, have we turned a corner? Yes, we have. Hecky appears to finally have has his side playing his way, the way he had his teams playing at the clubs he previously managed.

Very good post.

Much more insightful than the 'he doesn't have a clue' angle. He DOES know what he's doing, but what he's doing isn't what most of us want.

Keith_M
05-10-2019, 05:37 PM
And my answer to that is a resounding NO. I'm not sure what corner we've turned but we're on a dreary, monotonous journey down a one way street.😭

Ehm, did you actually read my post before you replied?

The 90+2
05-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Very good post.

Much more insightful than the 'he doesn't have a clue' angle. He DOES know what he's doing, but what he's doing isn't what most of us want.

He doesn’t know how to see out games or defend leads that’s for sure.

We are sitting third bottom of the league behind after losing to the worst hearts team ever. We haven’t won since Aug.

Corner? Hecky at the wheel car crash more like.

Since452
05-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Knock Killie out cup, draw with the triple treble winners, draw with Aberdeen at Pittodrie. Corner turned? 100%

WhileTheChief..
05-10-2019, 05:47 PM
I’ve no idea what style he wants us to be playing but if he’s happy with what we’ve had recently then nah, I’m not impressed.

So frustrating to go a goal up in games then retreat into our shells. It’s just not like us.

I want a bit of a gung-ho, let’s get into them attitude. We’ve got “meh, whatever”.

So no, I don’t think we’ve turned a corner. I think we’re just limping along and I expect more of the same until he leaves.

Leith Green
05-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Knock Killie out cup, draw with the triple treble winners, draw with Aberdeen at Pittodrie. Corner turned? 100%

9 games in a row we have not won in 90 minutes 👍

Pretty Boy
05-10-2019, 06:07 PM
We are definitely stuffier and harder to break through at will now. We are an ugly team with little or no flair and rarely do anything that gets fans out their seat.

Every post match interview in recent weeks has seen Heckingbottom declare we have played well or he's happy with our overall performance. As said above he knows what he is doing and we are performing in the manner he wants us to. We have definitely turned a corner in the sense that we are playing increasingly as the manager wants us to. It's just not a style that anyone really wants to watch and attendances this season and, more crucially, ST sales for next season will reflect that.

Captain Trips
05-10-2019, 06:25 PM
In a cul de sac

emerald green
05-10-2019, 06:29 PM

0-0 and win on pens versus Killie, very lucky draw against Celtic, chucked away two priceless points against Aberdeen due to having an absolute dud as a striker, and unable to defend a lead against 10 men. (Not to mention previous recent capitulations).

Turned a corner? Eh naw. :rolleyes:

Crab apple
05-10-2019, 06:55 PM
I’ll believe we have turned a corner when we start winning games.

judas
05-10-2019, 06:59 PM

You are correct.

kaimendhibs
05-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Alex miller was more adventurous

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

The_Horde
05-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Turned the corner off a street rife with gang violence and onto one full of ladyboys. But we're looking for the chicken dippers.

JohnM1875
05-10-2019, 07:12 PM
9 games in a row we have not won in 90 minutes 👍

Totally. And those results can't just be forgotten about. But surely because of the nature of the previous 6 and the apparent (small) change in the last 3 games in terms of attitude and application you can see why some might think a corner has been turned?

I thought we were definitely going to lose all three comfortably. We didn't.

Still not convinced with Hecky but I can see how some might be warming to the idea.

hibeerealist
05-10-2019, 07:18 PM

The next three league games are very different in that we will be expected to take the game to the opposition, I will look for your posts over these three games as, like a lot of Hibby s I don’t see any corner turned we are on the bend and no more.

hibee-boys
06-10-2019, 06:49 AM
Quite simple really, if we get beat in either of the next 3 games he will go, he certainly isn't going to be sacked on the back of the last 3 results.

Jim44
06-10-2019, 10:29 AM
To go a goal down, take a bit of a pummeling at times and to end the match with 9 players, Aberdeen must think they’ve died and gone to heaven. Struggling to win games is not the direction I want to see us going in.

Brightside
06-10-2019, 10:32 AM
Quite simple really, if we get beat in either of the next 3 games he will go, he certainly isn't going to be sacked on the back of the last 3 results.

I’m pretty sure he’s going to be here all season.

emerald green
06-10-2019, 10:35 AM
I’m pretty sure he’s going to be here all season.

Even if it becomes clearer by the week that he's going to take us back to the Championship, like Butcher?

Steve88
06-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Turned a corner!!!!?? 8 games played with 6 points. If we continue collecting 6 points every 8 games that gives us a season end total of 28. Last season we had 54 points!!!

This weak minded attitude by hibs fans is pathetic.

familyman
06-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Turned a corner!!!!?? 8 games played with 6 points. If we continue collecting 6 points every 8 games that gives us a season end total of 28. Last season we had 54 points!!!

This weak minded attitude by hibs fans is pathetic.
You could we have at least shown some effort and even teamwork at long last but it is still driving me round the bend
why so long to sort this mess?It was said Betfred cup would give players time to get to know each other and settle in....yet we still cannot get the line up sorted.

ancient hibee
06-10-2019, 11:03 AM
Wouldn't like the job of selling season tickets on the back of these performances.

Steve88
06-10-2019, 11:06 AM
You could we have at least shown some effort and even teamwork at long last but it is still driving me round the bend
why so long to sort this mess?It was said Betfred cup would give players time to get to know each other and settle in....yet we still cannot get the line up sorted.

The line up... Sound like PH plan of using the friendlies and betfred cup to give everyone game time/fitness worked out well. Thankfully it's not like he had 10 or so new players to figure out who plays where best ...

Wilson
06-10-2019, 12:04 PM

I'm sorry but arbitrarily picking dates isn't going to decide his future. There seemed to be a real belief that losing the derby would be that point yet he is still here. These results are acceptable to the board so he is going nowhere.

Steve88
06-10-2019, 12:10 PM
I'm sorry but arbitrarily picking dates isn't going to decide his future. There seemed to be a real belief that losing the derby would be that point yet he is still here. These results are acceptable to the board so he is going nowhere.

Exactly! Bite the bullet, get rid. If you want to know what Hibs will look like in one or two years time if we're still having this debate, take a look at hearts

MWHIBBIES
06-10-2019, 12:12 PM
0-0 and win on pens versus Killie, very lucky draw against Celtic, chucked away two priceless points against Aberdeen due to having an absolute dud as a striker, and unable to defend a lead against 10 men. (Not to mention previous recent capitulations).

Turned a corner? Eh naw. :rolleyes:

****ing nothing lucky about the result last week.

Daydreamer
06-10-2019, 12:15 PM
I think it's a must to pick up 7 points in the next three games and preferably 9 and a good show at Hampden after these games. I definitely have seen an improvement lately and just maybe the system Heckingbottom plays has been hard to stomach earlier but the players may be buying into that. Yesterday was like a defeat leaving the ground but a big plus is Vela and Hallberg in midfield. Chances are being made now which was not the case in the Motherwell and Kilmarnock away games. As i said minimum 7 out of 9 in the next three games and things maybe looking up.

H18S NX
06-10-2019, 12:30 PM
I’m pretty sure he’s going to be here all season.....I hope not,as a ST holder,I will not be back until he is gone,my choice i know,but i cannot stomach the way we are playing,dreadful fitba.

Keith_M
06-10-2019, 01:26 PM
Turned the corner off a street rife with gang violence and onto one full of ladyboys. But we're looking for the chicken dippers.

That was very disturbing.

Keith_M
06-10-2019, 01:40 PM
It looks like Celtc have "turned a corner" as well

hibeerealist
06-10-2019, 01:49 PM
I
????? Sorry, it was. We got an OG, they got two pens denied and missed countless chances and I can’t remember their keeper making a save. That is fortunate or in other words, lucky.

bigwheel
06-10-2019, 02:01 PM
I
????? Sorry, it was. We got an OG, they got two pens denied and missed countless chances and I can’t remember their keeper making a save. That is fortunate or in other words, lucky.

Are you just ignoring that they should have had a man Sent off before any of those pen claims ..or the fact that our keeper didn’t have a save of note to make either ??

Most win last against top teams need a slice of luck - we were well worth a draw last weekend

Onion
06-10-2019, 02:12 PM
With PH in charge, the last 3 draws are little more than a 'route recalculation' to a bottom 6 destination.

Keith_M
06-10-2019, 03:23 PM
With PH in charge, the last 3 draws are little more than a 'route recalculation' to a bottom 6 destination.

So you're admitting we've turned a corner?

:wink:

Jim44
06-10-2019, 05:04 PM
Turned a corner? More like ‘staggered round the bend’.

emerald green
06-10-2019, 05:16 PM

I disagree. Being honest, we were very lucky the joke of a referee didn't award what looked like two penalties to me. If they had been at the other end I would have wanted both of them.

Hi Heid Yin
06-10-2019, 05:23 PM
I can see where the OP is coming from regarding "turning a corner", but if anyone asked me is this what I want to pay to watch, I would say 100% No!
It is bruising on the eye and the kind of football that at best can only be described as workman-like.
It is the type of football we normally associate with The Jambos.

Kojock
06-10-2019, 05:30 PM
I disagree. Being honest, we were very lucky the joke of a referee didn't award what looked like two penalties to me. If they had been at the other end I would have wanted both of them.

Celtc should’ve been down to 9 men prior to the two penalty claims this would have changed the dynamics of the game.

emerald green
06-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Celtc should’ve been down to 9 men prior to the two penalty claims this would have changed the dynamics of the game.

Celtic should have been down to 10 men IMHO. Worth noting Hibs couldn't see off 10 men yesterday, even with a goal of a start.

MWHIBBIES
06-10-2019, 05:39 PM

Would Celtic be in those positions if he had correctly sent their player off? Or does that not fit into your anti hibs narrative?

emerald green
06-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Would Celtic be in those positions if he had correctly sent their player off? Or does that not fit into your anti hibs narrative?

I can't answer that question. They might, they might not. I just try to call things as I see them, as honestly as I can.

"Anti hibs (sic) narrative". :faf:

MWHIBBIES
06-10-2019, 06:05 PM
I can't answer that question. They might, they might not. I just try to call things as I see them, as honestly as I can.

"Anti hibs (sic) narrative". :faf:

But surely it is worth considering? You just completely ignored it to have a shot at Hibs?

Captain Trips
06-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Why do we need to turn a corner? If he is fit for purpose and with a full pre season behind him and bringing in players he wants and moving on ones he doesn't we should be on a straight road.

Is it not rather alarming to have 6pts from 24pts and be 10pts away from 3rd and have this corner being turned draws. We should not be turning corners we should be doing a hell of a lot better and I do not want a manager here who has put us in such a position that we need to "turn corners".

emerald green
06-10-2019, 06:13 PM
But surely it is worth considering? You just completely ignored it to have a shot at Hibs?

Worth considering? OK I did, but as I said it might or it might not. I didn't ignore it. Hibs couldn't see off ten men yesterday from a goal up against a poor Aberdeen team. That's not taking a shot at Hibs. It's simply a fact. I only want what's best for my team. I want them to win football matches and play decent attractive football.

Didn't stop you having a shot at me.

MacGruber
06-10-2019, 08:30 PM
I want Heckingbottom out. I did before the derby and obviously more so after losing it.

I'm now in the mindset of thinking of the derby defeat as rock bottom and resetting after that.

There's no doubt we have improved in the 3 games since. It's not perfect by any means but much improved from the derby and before. 3 very difficult games unbeaten. We all thought we'd lose them all but haven't. It's not been great, just better.

If we go on and win the next 3 games, easier games on paper, Heckingbottom will have earned a stay of execution and we can trace the turning point back to the cup win at Killie. If he doesn't get the results in the next 3 (min 7 from 9) we will look with hindsight and say there was no corner turned.