PDA

View Full Version : Doidge

dastardly8
05-10-2019, 04:04 PM
The boy has the look of being something good but lacks confidence in front of goal , think it will come though I remember Forlan at Man Utd was the same when he arrived but went on to do well let’s stick with it

theonlywayisup
05-10-2019, 04:50 PM
The boy has the look of being something good but lacks confidence in front of goal , think it will come though I remember Forlan at Man Utd was the same when he arrived but went on to do well let’s stick with it

Already a thread!

HairyBrain
05-10-2019, 05:01 PM
The boy has the look of being something good but lacks confidence in front of goal , think it will come though I remember Forlan at Man Utd was the same when he arrived but went on to do well let’s stick with itI hope you're right but if I recall correctly Forlan didn't start playing till he went to Villarreal and later Atletico. Think he only scored single digits in his whole time at Man Utd.

The pressure of such a big club and expectation maybe. Doidge possibly the same with the big transfer figure that had been banded about, even if it had been inflated by the media.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

hibees 7062
05-10-2019, 05:03 PM
He’s not and never will be a lone striker

Viva_Palmeiras
05-10-2019, 05:22 PM

Pedigree aside - What happened to the non-flying Dutchman at Arsenal?

The_Horde
05-10-2019, 06:03 PM

Unconfident strikers don't take as many touches as he did to shoot. They snatch at the chances. He's just s****.

Anything else is making excuses.

allmodcons
05-10-2019, 06:09 PM
I'm not usually one to criticise but Doidge cost us the game today. Unbelievable chances but just didn't look like scoring. Really poor performance.

IMO he should have been replaced by Kamberi as soon as Aberdeen went down to 10 men.

McKenzie
05-10-2019, 06:18 PM

Forlan was gash for Man Utd, failing to see the relevance. Get the boy on the bench if he canny score he’s a striker ffs

Malthibby
05-10-2019, 06:47 PM
Just don't see what anyone has been seeing in him. He's meant to be a striker & misses chances my granny would put away. And
he does it over and over again.
Get him out the first team, get a hypnotist, get a psychologist, try & sort him (ball, net; net, ball), I hope it's possible.
Otherwise, he's going to be another example of a lower English league huddie people keep thinking can cut in the SPFL
when he blatantly cannot.

ancient hibee
05-10-2019, 06:53 PM
He’s very consistent.Did the same against St.Mirren.He’s only getting a game because the manager doesn’t want to admit that he’s another disastrous signing.

judas
05-10-2019, 07:19 PM

I think so too.

JimBHibees
05-10-2019, 07:32 PM
Feel sorry for the guy. Strikers go through these runs usually just takes one then he'll get a few. Good he is getting into the positions.

CallumLaidlaw
05-10-2019, 07:37 PM
I thought he was better all round that Cosgrove today. Cosgrove hardly scored in his first 20 games for Aberdeen if I remember correctly and now can’t stop scoring. Obviously if he continues to miss clear chances it’s a huge issue but he may well be 1 goal away from settling and scoring regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
05-10-2019, 07:41 PM
I thought he was better all round that Cosgrove today. Cosgrove hardly scored in his first 20 games for Aberdeen if I remember correctly and now can’t stop scoring. Obviously if he continues to miss clear chances it’s a huge issue but he may well be 1 goal away from settling and scoring regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all agreed at the game that he made great runs to get into positions for the chances. He knows himself that he should have done better, he was absolutely gutted when he went off

Unseen work
05-10-2019, 07:55 PM
It’s down to confidence, the fact he’s getting the chances is promising.

Missing the pen on his debut just sums him up right now unfortunately.

He really needs to start producing though, fans and the team can only be patient for so long and he has already cost us points with his misses today. He also missed a couple of really good chances against St Mirren.

Wheat Hound
05-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Felt for him. Can't fault his effort or workrate and he did v well in the air....but ultimately he did not do the main part of his job and it appears he just doesnt have that finishing instinct. That said, Flo made an erse of a good chance too.

The_Horde
05-10-2019, 08:01 PM
If you can Doidge a wrench you can Doidge a goal.

JimBHibees
05-10-2019, 08:20 PM
Felt for him. Can't fault his effort or workrate and he did v well in the air....but ultimately he did not do the main part of his job and it appears he just doesnt have that finishing instinct. That said, Flo made an erse of a good chance too.

He does have that finishing instinct though he scored goals for fun at other clubs.

Andy74
06-10-2019, 12:06 AM
Having watched it now Doidge actually had a really good all round game. I like him. He’s strong, quick enough and good in the air. He gets in good positions and makes good runs.

Of the four chances the first two weren’t too bad. Think he did what he could with them, but he will want to do better with the likes of the last two.

He’s shown before he can finish and I think it will come.

Kamberi had a poor miss too.

Frankhfc
06-10-2019, 12:13 AM
Having watched it now Doidge actually had a really good all round game. I like him. He’s strong, quick enough and good in the air. He gets in good positions and makes good runs.

Of the four chances the first two weren’t too bad. Think he did what he could with them, but he will want to do better with the likes of the last two.

I agree. I'd be more concerned if he was posted invisible without getting into goal scoring positions. The goals will come if continuing to do what good forwards do which is finding themselves in good goal scoring opportunities.

The 90+2
06-10-2019, 12:14 AM

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Doidge had really good all round game but then rip Kamberi 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Andy74
06-10-2019, 12:28 AM
He did have a good all round game and he was missed when he went off.

I don’t think pointing out Kamberi had a poor miss as well in his time on the park is really ripping him.

tonyrougier123
06-10-2019, 01:21 AM
If doidge managed to put away the chances he's had,he would be on a decent tally.
Hopefully the big man starts tucking them away 👍

steakbake
06-10-2019, 01:23 AM
I used to spend way too much time (and, unfortunately money) at roulette tables thinking the ball just needs to slot in once and it’ll suddenly all start to work out.

He’s not scoring because even though he used to knock them in for Forest Green or Dagenham, he’s not playing against the kind of teams Forest Green or Dagenham play.

Overall, we’ve a mediocre team with a mediocre manager playing mediocre football. “Luck” isn’t going to change any of that.

FilipinoHibs
06-10-2019, 02:26 AM
I think so too.

Does not look good at all. No poise or balance or awareness. Repeats the same errors again and again. Forlan only went on to do well when he went to Athletico Madrid. You could see there was a player in there. Not the case with Doidge.

Hermit Crab
06-10-2019, 03:15 AM
Gash, get rid.

Sir David Gray
06-10-2019, 05:00 AM
He does have that finishing instinct though he scored goals for fun at other clubs.

Yes at Conference and League 2 level in England, which is a far lower level than he's now playing at with us.

He's 27 as well so it's not even as if he's a promising youngster with time on his side to develop.

As I've said on previous threads, he seems like a decent team player but strikers are judged on goals and when we're spending a sizeable chunk of our budget on someone, I'm expecting them to be competent at doing their primary role in the team.

What Doidge did yesterday was a striker's equivalent of a goalkeeper letting in four howlers. If Maxwell had done that then people would be wanting him dropped for weeks.

steakbake
06-10-2019, 05:40 AM
Yes at Conference and League 2 level in England, which is a far lower level than he's now playing at with us.

He's 27 as well so it's not even as if he's a promising youngster with time on his side to develop.

As I've said on previous threads, he seems like a decent team player but strikers are judged on goals and when we're spending a sizeable chunk of our budget on someone, I'm expecting them to be competent at doing their primary role in the team.

What Doidge did yesterday was a striker's equivalent of a goalkeeper letting in four howlers. If Maxwell had done that then people would be wanting him dropped for weeks.

Agree 100 percent with your first point there. I’d have had no issue with us finding young, talented gems in the lower reaches of the English leagues. But in Doidge, Newell and Vela, we’ve brought in guys who are 25+: they’re mid career. We brought them in at their level, not at the promising start.

neil7908
06-10-2019, 06:17 AM

Of all the signings this summer he was the one that worried me the most. The fee we paid and his age mean I'd expected him to be the finished article. This is isn't a young guy we've taken a chance on the cheap - this is one of our biggest transfer fees paid in year's for a player that's supposed to be in his prime. And I've seen nowhere nearvenough to make me think we've made a good purchase.

The one thing I would say though is that I'd like to see him and Kamberi have a proper chance up top together. The managers downfall is going to be his rigidity and inability to see his formation isn't working. With 2 up top and Allan supporting in midfield we'd at least see some goals imo.

Clarence
06-10-2019, 06:19 AM
you know things are bad when you yearn for the days of Simon Murray and Brian Graham.

Centre Hawf
06-10-2019, 06:45 AM
I want to like him and not get on his back because we've seen in the past how hard it can be to come into a squad up here with the burden of being valued enough to be bought for money, especially as a striker. His initial sitters in the opening weeks of his Hibs career for me were a case of "it's fine he's getting into the positions and that's what matters just now". But fast forward to now and as someone quite frankly put he's cost us 3 points with his inability to score any of the mental amount of chances he was given yesterday.

Yesterday sounded like one of our first performances where we passed our way through a team and created opportunities. We've not done that at all this season. So it makes it all the more frustrating that we didn't capitalise on it because our marquee striker can't finish his tea. That gives me absolutely zero faith that when it inevitably goes back to 1 chance a game stuff we're not going to score goals.

He really needs to find a ruthless streak because at the moment I wouldn't be playing him over Flo. Flo has his shortcomings and can be frustrating but I tell you what I would have backed him to have scored most of Doidges chances or at least looked up and found Allan on one of them.

Sorry Christian son, but it's no use doing all the hard work against Celtic when you can't finish one of 3 good chances against the sides we're looking to compete against.

JimBHibees
06-10-2019, 06:55 AM

If he is getting in positions the goals don't change size the chance is the same though possibly more xpectation at Hibs and more unforgiving fan base. He took his goal against Morton very well and hasn't really played much. We should persevere with him as he is the only striker we have who can play up top on his own.

hibee-boys
06-10-2019, 06:56 AM
It's the complete lack of composure that is so frustrating. Head down and smashimg the shot is something i'd expect to see by someone in my local amateur side not an experienced professional striker, that's relying on lady luck. I'm not just speaking about Doidge, every one of our 'goal scorers' have been horrific in front of goal this year, wtf do thess guys do in training!!!

BonnieFitbaTeam
06-10-2019, 07:04 AM
He’s not scoring because even though he used to knock them in for Forest Green or Dagenham, he’s not playing against the kind of teams Forest Green or Dagenham play.

I see this point regularly but it’s totally irrelevant. One-on-ones with the keeper are one-on-ones with the keeper, whether you’re playing Real Madrid or Hutchy Vale!

For what it’s worth I actually thought he played reasonably well yesterday, sitters aside (I know, I know!).

The_Horde
06-10-2019, 07:14 AM
It's the complete lack of composure that is so frustrating. Head down and smashimg the shot is something i'd expect to see by someone in my local amateur side not an experienced professional striker, that's relying on lady luck. I'm not just speaking about Doidge, every one of our 'goal scorers' have been horrific in front of goal this year, wtf do thess guys do in training!!!

Having now watched the chances again, it's more the case that he just couldn't get the ball properly in control for a shot until it was too late and he was right on Lewis. The Scott Allan one is absolutely shocking and Cliff Pike summed it up absolutely correctly.

Sir David Gray
06-10-2019, 07:24 AM
If he is getting in positions the goals don't change size the chance is the same though possibly more xpectation at Hibs and more unforgiving fan base. He took his goal against Morton very well and hasn't really played much. We should persevere with him as he is the only striker we have who can play up top on his own.

I understand the goals don't change size but he's now playing against a better standard of opposition every week.

The price we paid for him isn't his fault but when the majority of our summer budget goes on bringing in a striker, I'm expecting far better than 2 goals in 12 appearances against Alloa and Morton.

I think he'll be fortunate to get 10 goals this season and considering we have at least another 32 games to play this season, that's not great.

hibsbollah
06-10-2019, 07:46 AM
It took Jason Cummings 16 games to score his first goal.

Events can make idiots of any of us. I still see something in him, it's clearly a mental thing now with him

Juice-Terry
06-10-2019, 07:52 AM
For some reason, I too like the look of him (or his potential). As others have pointed out, Cosgrove and Cummings, among others, took a long time to get properly started. I say give him another chance against the likes of Hamilton and Ross County.

Heckys Wheel
06-10-2019, 07:55 AM
How many starts has he had this season?

makaveli1875
06-10-2019, 07:58 AM
For some reason, I too like the look of him (or his potential). As others have pointed out, Cosgrove and Cummings, among others, took a long time to get properly started. I say give him another chance against the likes of Hamilton and Ross County.

Cosgrove and Cummings were young laddies getting a taste for 1st team football, Doidge is nearly 30 and apparently our most expensive signing in years. Expectations are naturally going to be higher

Sir David Gray
06-10-2019, 08:12 AM
It took Jason Cummings 16 games to score his first goal.

Events can make idiots of any of us. I still see something in him, it's clearly a mental thing now with him

Jason Cummings was 18 and was working as a gardener when he came into our first team, Doidge is 27 and is one of our most expensive signings in recent years.

As I said before, how much we signed him for isn't his fault but when we have reportedly spent around £300,000 on him, I'm expecting much more than what we've seen so far.

CallumHibs07
06-10-2019, 08:13 AM
He should stick to basketball, useless huddy

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-10-2019, 08:21 AM
Doidge needs one or two tap ins to get going. At the moment, I would back the keeper in a one versus one. He needs to tough this one out though. If a goalie ships four goals that should have been saved, criticism is warranted. I don't see why this is any different. He has to do better. The personal stuff is never helpful, but that's not limited to either Doidge or indeed Hibs.

jeffers
06-10-2019, 08:23 AM
Are there any highlights up ? I'd like to see his missed chances, Hibs TV freeview only has the two goals.

overdrive
06-10-2019, 08:26 AM
The last time we were pinning our hopes on as bad a striker(s) was when we had James Collins and Rowan Vine. That worked out well.

Mr_F
06-10-2019, 08:45 AM
The clown is a basketball player for FFS

JimBHibees
06-10-2019, 09:28 AM
I understand the goals don't change size but he's now playing against a better standard of opposition every week.

The price we paid for him isn't his fault but when the majority of our summer budget goes on bringing in a striker, I'm expecting far better than 2 goals in 12 appearances against Alloa and Morton.

I think he'll be fortunate to get 10 goals this season and considering we have at least another 32 games to play this season, that's not great.

Agree he should be doing better however they are the same chances. If he has shot when a team mate is available for a tap in that is a shocker at professional level. Sounds like he lost his head a bit. Needs the fans support though as he is doing a good job for the team out with goals.

emerald green
06-10-2019, 09:37 AM
I reckon I could have put one or possibly two away that Doidge missed yesterday. I wouldn't have cost £300K either.

hibsbollah
06-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Jason Cummings was 18 and was working as a gardener when he came into our first team, Doidge is 27 and is one of our most expensive signings in recent years.

As I said before, how much we signed him for isn't his fault but when we have reportedly spent around £300,000 on him, I'm expecting much more than what we've seen so far.

You could make the same facts fit the opposite argument; at that stage in his career Cummings had achieved nothing in the game, so failing to score for a long time is evidence he's just never, ever going to be good enough, Doidge has demonstrated he already has a decent goalscoring predigree so there's more evidence that what he's going through is a blip that at some point he's going to turn around.

500miles
06-10-2019, 10:29 AM
If Doidge has the character to tough out this rough start, I think he'll come a really good player. It's a big test for him, but his overall play seems night and day from preseason.

Scotty Leither
06-10-2019, 10:43 AM
He only cost £130k -not £350k as has been spun by the Board.

We won't spend decent money on the anchor positions, Centre Midfield, Centre Forward that require you to spend a bit of money to guarantee you a bit of quality.

To me he looks like a raw laddie that lacks composure, not a 30-year old experienced player, but then his "experience" is in the 3rd and 4th tier of English football.

£130k really does get you what you pay for.

Heckys Wheel
06-10-2019, 10:47 AM
If Doidge has the character to tough out this rough start, I think he'll come a really good player. It's a big test for him, but his overall play seems night and day from preseason.

Completely agree with you.

If he can tough it out, I think he’ll do well for us. Needs a lot of mental strength and by the look of twitter, he’d do well to stay clear until the Neanderthals have found another scapegoat to direct their inner rage at.

Sir David Gray
06-10-2019, 10:50 AM
You could make the same facts fit the opposite argument; at that stage in his career Cummings had achieved nothing in the game, so failing to score for a long time is evidence he's just never, ever going to be good enough, Doidge has demonstrated he already has a decent goalscoring predigree so there's more evidence that what he's going through is a blip that at some point he's going to turn around.

I'm not sure that doing nothing as an 18 year old fits the opposite argument at all. Obviously the superstars of this world are doing well by 18 years old but there are many decent players who don't start showing their full potential until they're into their 20s. Particularly with someone like Cummings who had (and possibly still has) somewhat of a maturity issue.

I also wouldn't say that having a decent goalscoring record in the fourth and fifth tiers of English football and also in the Welsh league proves that a striker is capable of scoring goals in the Scottish Premiership.

It's a pretty significant step up.

familyman
06-10-2019, 10:58 AM
He’s not and never will be a lone striker
I remain unconvinced he is not another James Collins..
Yes he is never a lone striker ,he has qualities but we need to use him correctly as he is no finisher .
The manager has yet to step up to convince ..
One thing though the clock is ticking as we cannot remain in the basement

ancient hibee
06-10-2019, 10:59 AM
Lot of clutching at straws.He's hopeless.Can neither score or pick out a pass at this level.Not his fault and I feel sorry for him but he's out of his depth and whoever signed him should be sacked.

green with envy
06-10-2019, 11:05 AM
He's pish - End Off.

wookie70
06-10-2019, 11:08 AM
Watched the highlights and the chances were good chances. First one would have been easier if Horgan had weighted the pass properly. Got his shot in decent goalkeeping.

Second he had time and should have done better and third was unforgivable as Scottie A had a tap in and it was a very easy ball to him.

The Kamberi chance at the end was made far harder as Allan runs towards the ball and made it far harder. One thing that was noticeable was Doidges runs were excellent and Hanlon and Stevenson played great passes to play him in. THat has been missing lately with the creative focus almost solely being on Allan and he has been pretty poor as teams have crowded him out. That says to me we have players who can be creative outwith Allan and there is plenty evidence in the highlights to suggest we are starting to click.

bigwheel
06-10-2019, 11:11 AM
Some of these comments are horrible..Doidge did a lot right yesterday ..and also had some very poor choices and finishing ..he is not “pish” or any derivation of it ..

people through these terrible comments about on here and social media ..what a turn off to decent football debate ...

Wonder if Aberdeen fans were saying the same about disgorge for his first full season when he didn’t score any goals ...

For me, he is still our current first choice CF..Kamberi, better technically, is much easier to mark and control ...would be nice to get them both in the team, but not sure we have the other players to do so...

3pm
06-10-2019, 11:19 AM

We won't spend decent money on the anchor positions, Centre Midfield, Centre Forward that require you to spend a bit of money to guarantee you a bit of quality.

To me he looks like a raw laddie that lacks composure, not a 30-year old experienced player, but then his "experience" is in the 3rd and 4th tier of English football.

Yep, said that yesterday.

The £350K has grown arms and legs.

wookie70
06-10-2019, 11:24 AM
I remain unconvinced he is not another James Collins..
Yes he is never a lone striker ,he has qualities but we need to use him correctly as he is no finisher .
The manager has yet to step up to convince ..
One thing though the clock is ticking as we cannot remain in the basement

He is nothing like Collins imo. Collins made more runs towards the Hibs box that the oppositions. Collins hardly ever looked a goal threat, Doidge does and Doidge looks like he will give defenders far more problems in the air and shoulder to shoulder. He should have scored yesterday but there are plenty positives from the way he played imo. If he keeps doing the same then he will score. I think I'd be looking at seeing him and Flo up top and dropping Allan or Mallan.

hibsbollah
06-10-2019, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure that doing nothing as an 18 year old fits the opposite argument at all. Obviously the superstars of this world are doing well by 18 years old but there are many decent players who don't start showing their full potential until they're into their 20s. Particularly with someone like Cummings who had (and possibly still has) somewhat of a maturity issue.

I also wouldn't say that having a decent goalscoring record in the fourth and fifth tiers of English football and also in the Welsh league proves that a striker is capable of scoring goals in the Scottish Premiership.

It's a pretty significant step up.

Doidge was a goal every second game in the English 4th tier, and therefore was being looked at by English third tier sides, let's remember, the league that Jason Cummings, Dylan McGeough are doing average/ok/decent enough in. Like it or not (and none of us do) but that's the financial marketplace we're operating in. Turning up our noses at English League Two is just ignorant. I've watched some absolute pish football in the spfl this season.

HendoDelivered
06-10-2019, 12:02 PM
He will come good IMO. Just needs a goal and then hopefully the floodgates will open. Strikers play on confidence and I think he is lacking that a little bit just now. Needs to be more ruthless!

superfurryhibby
06-10-2019, 12:03 PM

350,000k is another .net myth. I’m not sure what kind of money you would expect Hibs to spend in order to guarantee quality, but I suspect for it to be pretty cast iron it would take finances we’ll never have.

Just in the interest of accuracy though, Doidge turned 27 just over a month ago, it’ll be season 2022-23 before he is a 30 year old experienced player.

Sir David Gray
06-10-2019, 01:13 PM
Doidge was a goal every second game in the English 4th tier, and therefore was being looked at by English third tier sides, let's remember, the league that Jason Cummings, Dylan McGeough are doing average/ok/decent enough in. Like it or not (and none of us do) but that's the financial marketplace we're operating in. Turning up our noses at English League Two is just ignorant. I've watched some absolute pish football in the spfl this season.

I'm not saying we should turn our nose up at English League Two players, I'm aware there are decent players at that level but that's where your scouts come into play.

League Two is the market we're operating in only because of the financial disparity between English and Scottish football. The overall standard in the Scottish Premiership is much higher than in the English League Two so all I'm saying is being prolific at that level does not necessarily mean that the player will be prolific in the Scottish Premiership.

I genuinely hope that Doidge comes good and proves me wrong. I'm not so sure that he will though.