PDA

View Full Version : Caley Thistle

Billy Whizz
03-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Didn’t realise they had big financial problems
Scott Gardner will wonder what he’s got himself into, was he not at Hearts too?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7532541/amp/Inverness-Caledonian-Thistle-latest-British-club-face-threat-administration.html

Smartie
03-10-2019, 12:55 PM
I didn't know that either.

Am I the only one who is finding it hard to be sympathetic? The article says it costs them £800k for every year they spend outside the premier league. Should ICT consider themselves so entitled to be in the premier league that they struggle this much outside of it? Relegation should mean that they cut their cloth accordingly, and if that means they have to play a youth team and find a level a few leagues below then so be it.

I'd be surprised if their "executives" who have the begging bowl out aren't on very significant salaries indeed to lead a small club who are performing badly both financially and on the field.

When age-old clubs hit hard times for the first time (ie Bury) I find it much easier to find sympathy than I do for the Jonny-come-lately clubs who leave destruction in their wake as they live a dream they cannot afford.

The 90+2
03-10-2019, 01:15 PM
Didn’t realise they had big financial problems
Scott Gardner will wonder what he’s got himself into, was he not at Hearts too?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7532541/amp/Inverness-Caledonian-Thistle-latest-British-club-face-threat-administration.html

And Dundee when they got in a financial mess. Mini Highland Jambos they’ve became, they can just ask them how to get away with not paying back money they owe.

CMurdoch
03-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Premier League money long since dried up. Would have had players on decent contracts when they were relegated. Gambled to get promoted back to the top league. Failed and the money reserves ran dry. However, didn't cut their cloth to match quickly enough. If they can negotiate their way out of this crisis they will be settled again but then need to see themselves as a Championship team until such time as they can sell a great player or get themselves a Roy McGregor character in charge.

Peevemor
03-10-2019, 01:40 PM
And Dundee when they got in a financial mess. Mini Highland Jambos they’ve became, they can just ask them how to get away with not paying back money they owe.

It's nothing like the Dundee situation. Inverness have no debt whatsoever and they own their stadium outright. It's working capital they need.

JimBHibees
03-10-2019, 01:42 PM
Unfortunately have a very poor support from a reasonable sized town or is that city.

jodjam
03-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Unfortunately have a very poor support from a reasonable sized town or is that city.

Became a city in 2000

Carheenlea
03-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Have found ICT a hard club to warm to, unlike Ross County who have a nice set up and always a welcoming away trip. There are many in Inverness who distances themselves from the new club post amalgamation and will still be a good few years away from attracting a better following.

Since452
03-10-2019, 01:57 PM

The night of the recent Dundee derby, ICT were playing someone at the same time on the BBC Scotland channel, might have been Morton. You could hear the seagulls over the fans. Think the ball boys made up half of the crowd. Complete contrast to the Dundee derby which was packed and vibrant. Brilliant advert for Scottish football that was. It's a shame as i thought the likes of ICT might have attracted some of the massive tartan army following up there. Doesn't seem to be much interest in the club.

The 90+2
03-10-2019, 02:00 PM
It's nothing like the Dundee situation. Inverness have no debt whatsoever and they own their stadium outright. It's working capital they need.

I didn’t say it was. I said the boy quoted was at Dundee when they got into the **** too.

CMurdoch
03-10-2019, 02:04 PM
Average attendances of just over 2,500 last season, which compared badly with Ross County who averaged close to 4,000.
Gate money will be pretty much their only real income. Need to uncover a great player AND get good money for him to give them fresh working capital.

JimBHibees
03-10-2019, 02:08 PM
Have found ICT a hard club to warm to, unlike Ross County who have a nice set up and always a welcoming away trip. There are many in Inverness who distances themselves from the new club post amalgamation and will still be a good few years away from attracting a better following.

I think if they were ever to start attracting more fans winning the Scottish cup would have done it.

Since452
03-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Average attendances of just over 2,500 last season, which compared badly with Ross County who averaged close to 4,000.
Gate money will be pretty much their only real income. Need to uncover a great player AND get good money for him to give them fresh working capital.

Might be wrong but were ICT not the result of an amalgamation of two rival clubs? Don't think County were so maybe explains why County have a better fan base

Smartie
03-10-2019, 02:13 PM

Have they still got Bobby Mann?

Should get a decent fee for him.

CMurdoch
03-10-2019, 02:24 PM
I didn't know that either.

Am I the only one who is finding it hard to be sympathetic? The article says it costs them £800k for every year they spend outside the premier league. Should ICT consider themselves so entitled to be in the premier league that they struggle this much outside of it? Relegation should mean that they cut their cloth accordingly, and if that means they have to play a youth team and find a level a few leagues below then so be it.

I'd be surprised if their "executives" who have the begging bowl out aren't on very significant salaries indeed to lead a small club who are performing badly both financially and on the field.

When age-old clubs hit hard times for the first time (ie Bury) I find it much easier to find sympathy than I do for the Jonny-come-lately clubs who leave destruction in their wake as they live a dream they cannot afford.

ANY club is at risk if they don't/can't control who owns their club.
That means gangsters like Romanov who didn't care about anything or anyone to over ambitious businessmen who throw caution and common sense to the wind in search of glory (Brookes Mileson, The Marr Brothers etc) or crappy wee businessmen looking to make money out it (the 2nd last owner at Bury).

The jury is still out on Ron Gordon and the Americans who have landed at both Dundee clubs. Why have they become involved with Scottish soccer clubs.
None are supporters of the teams concerned. All are businessmen so to me they are looking to make money.

In comparison Inverness are okay but might have to go part time for a while until they can get to profit. They certainly can't keep losing 800k a year. Hard to believe they didn't stop that haemorrhage of cash ages ago. I suspect it is exaggerated.

The 90+2
03-10-2019, 02:31 PM
Have they still got Bobby Mann?

Should get a decent fee for him.

Deeks would still do a turn for them instead of the 4 loan signings they have from Hearts as per.

Bangkok Hibby
03-10-2019, 02:39 PM
Might be wrong but were ICT not the result of an amalgamation of two rival clubs? Don't think County were so maybe explains why County have a better fan base

Yes, Caledonian and Thistle

weecounty hibby
03-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Yes, Caledonian and Thistle

They actually list fans due to the merger. Caley and Thistle fans unhappy, walked away. Especially Thistle who feel that Caley took all control (I think). Clachnacuddan fans who weren't involved in the merger won't touch them with a barge pole. They will in reality not have a huge fan base to scoop up.

Peevemor
03-10-2019, 03:18 PM
They actually list fans due to the merger. Caley and Thistle fans unhappy, walked away. Especially Thistle who feel that Caley took all control (I think). Clachnacuddan fans who weren't involved in the merger won't touch them with a barge pole. They will in reality not have a huge fan base to scoop up.

I went to the 2004 Inverness vs Dunfermline SC semi at Hampden (attendance 13k). There were 7 of us went together - 2 hibees, a jambo & 4 Invernesians - 3 who supported rangers and the other Celtic.

At the time of the merger I had a few mates who lived in Inverness, Dingwall & the Black Isle. All of them supported one of the OF, some being ST holders. The local clubs were seen very much as their 2nd teams.

Things may have changed a bit since, but it takes a long time.

Billy Whizz
03-10-2019, 03:20 PM
I went to the 2004 Inverness vs Dunfermline SC semi at Hampden (attendance 13k). There were 7 of us went together - 2 hibees, a jambo & 4 Invernesians - 3 who supported rangers and the other Celtic.

At the time of the merger I had a few mates who lived in Inverness, Dingwall & the Black Isle. All of them supported one of the OF, some being ST holders. The local clubs were seen very much as their 2nd teams.

Doesn’t help that it’s probably the coldest ground in Scotland in winter

Hibernian32
03-10-2019, 03:55 PM
It's just speculation because the chairman has resigned.

Very reliable source saying its not happening.

Smartie
03-10-2019, 04:18 PM

I think it will take a generation.

I knew a couple of lads from Inverness who were Aberdeen fans. They still are, but they have a strong liking for ICT as a second team and in all likelihood their kids will be "proper" ICT fans.

New clubs take a bit to get off the ground, so I suppose Sevco should really in some ways be applauded.

CraigHibee
03-10-2019, 05:07 PM
Poor caley, i admire them as they are a smaller team but always give a good game, hope they manage to get out of this mess

hibsbollah
03-10-2019, 05:08 PM

Inverness is chock a block with Huns.

Greencore
03-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Decent sized place. Shame it's filled with old firm fans.

Keith_M
03-10-2019, 06:10 PM
Decent sized place. Shame it's filled with old firm fans.

You're talking about anywhere in Scotland, sadly.

tamig
03-10-2019, 06:21 PM
I think it will take a generation.

I knew a couple of lads from Inverness who were Aberdeen fans. They still are, but they have a strong liking for ICT as a second team and in all likelihood their kids will be "proper" ICT fans.

New clubs take a bit to get off the ground, so I suppose Sevco should really in some ways be applauded.

Livingston are still waiting for lift off. Nearly 25 years down the line.

CMurdoch
03-10-2019, 06:22 PM

That was a quarter of a century ago so the effects will be well diluted now.
Makes me feel old.

tamig
03-10-2019, 06:24 PM

There were more than a few ex Caley and Thistle fans who started going to Dingwall after the merger. Ross County still have many fans who travel from Inverness.

oneone73
03-10-2019, 06:57 PM
25 years and they've still not bothered to bring their stadium up to scratch. Hell mend them.

twiceinathens
03-10-2019, 06:57 PM
Lived in Inverness for about ten years. Had a kid's season ticket for Caley (5 shillings, direct modern equivalent 25pence} and played for Clachnacuddin under 18s. At the time of the amalgamation with Inverness Thistle there was indeed much resentment from Thistle fans who felt(rightly) that their past would be submerged in the new club.
Even then the new combined club suffered from the buses heading for Ibrox and Parkhead. Getting hold of a replica Hibs kit{not that they were common then} was a nightmare!

CMurdoch
03-10-2019, 06:58 PM
There were more than a few ex Caley and Thistle fans who started going to Dingwall after the merger. Ross County still have many fans who travel from Inverness.

After 25 years a lot of that effect will have gone but being only 15 miles between them the kids will choose to go to Premier rather than Championship football.

CMurdoch
03-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Hopefully they had a few clauses in the Ryan Christie sale.
Perhaps an extra £200k when he reaches 100 appearances for Celtic(which he should reach later this season)

tamig
03-10-2019, 07:43 PM
After 25 years a lot of that effect will have gone but being only 15 miles between them the kids will choose to go to Premier rather than Championship football.

Not really. As I said, there are a lot from Inverness still travel. And probably a few second generation.

where'stheslope
04-10-2019, 07:38 AM
Sorry to here this, I was at their first league cup game against East Stirling when they came into the football league.
It just goes to show, the thing a lot of fans say about amalgamating clubs to cut down league sizes, does not really work in the long run!!!
Hope they manage to survive, but with money ever tighter, who knows???

hibstag
04-10-2019, 08:28 AM

Aye they where the separate teams Caledonian and Inverness thistle spent a year or two as 'Caledonian Thistle' before the council insisted on adding the Inverness in return for money towards their weirdly designed soulless out of town 'stadium'.

the comparison with County is a good one they initially outperformed County and established themselves as a stronger Scottish football side with headlines such as supercaleygoballistic , premier league status, and although they won the Scottish cup its not kicked on due to various reasons.

County have had sustained growth albeit with support from Roy Macgregor they were set backs too several years in division three, they team that went down to the second division the year Gretna went up to the premier, relegation from premier two years ago

being from Dingwall ill admit to a soft spot for county but county have passed them in recent years

Iggy Pope
04-10-2019, 05:01 PM
Not really. As I said, there are a lot from Inverness still travel. And probably a few second generation.

I remember the 0-3 game up there Mowbray era and there were a few local dissenters camped in the Hibs end giving ICT pelters of all sorts.
By the third going in most of us were pretty fed up listening to them.

Clach are still competing in the Highland League if they’re stuck for a real club.

Rocky
04-10-2019, 05:07 PM

Isn't that like bearing a grudge against those who chose not to follow the merged club had Mercer got his way?

EI255
04-10-2019, 05:25 PM
Wouldn't be sorry to see them go.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Hibeesmad
05-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Scottish Cup winners only 4 years ago