PDA

View Full Version : Test match cricket

Mibbes Aye
02-10-2019, 12:58 AM
Just a few hours until India and South Africa set off on a three-Test series that should have an impact for both sides, depending on the outcome.

Changes for India, with Bumrah unfortunately injured, although they have a couple of more than decent pace men to complement Ashwin and Radeja with the slower ball. The two spinners have great combined results on home soil.

Pant makes way for Saha behind the stumps, but I have confidence Pant will be in the team on batting merit before too long.

For South Africa, they haven’t had their troubles to seek but there is the nucleus of a very bright, talented young team there.

Given it is India at home then it is hard to see past them for the series, the surfaces will suit them far better and while the SAFs have upgraded in the spin department, it isn’t going to be close to the hosts.

For those with Sky, it appears to be on one of the international channels, Star Gold, at 887. Play seems to start at five am though! That would seem to suggest the evening session commences somewhere around ten am which is more realistic! Can’t find any indication of highlight programmes on Sky Sports or BT and forget to check Star. For those without Sky there will be online radio coverage, both from Indian and South African broadcasters for sure.

Mibbes Aye
02-10-2019, 05:52 PM
There is a half-hour highlights package from day one of the Test on Star Gold (Sky 887).

Also discovered that Sony Max (Sky 886) seems to show cricket. The closing stages of the 3rd ODI between Pakistan and Sri Lanka is on now.

EDIT -oops, didn’t say when the highlights package was on - it is 9pm!

Mibbes Aye
03-10-2019, 12:17 AM
Interesting day’s play to start the series off. India won the toss and unsurprisingly elected to bat on what looks like a flat, flat pitch.

They patiently withstood decent attacks at the start of the morning and afternoon sessions, which left them facing tired pace bowlers from then on, and spinners who don’t really seem up to the mark. It was to be expected the Indians would take advantage and so they did, flaying South Africa with fours and sixes, very often cuts on the offside for the former and smites over deep mid-on for the latter.

Rohit clubbed his way to a century in his debut as an opener, with Agarwal nicely poised on 84. Rain intervened before the sixtieth over could be completed, restricting India to a meagre 202-0 :greengrin.

I am not sure what the forecast is, will need to check, but India look set. For South Africa it is hard to see how they take twenty wickets. Philander isn’t a bad bowler and got some swing both ways but can’t conjure up the pace and aggression of a Ngidi. Rabada toiled away but is always going to struggle on a pitch like this.

Mibbes Aye
03-10-2019, 11:42 PM
India pushed on massively on day two. Awargal and Rohit piling on the runs and setting big scores, one double century and one not far off. And although the remaining batsmen didn't score big they did score quickly to set an imposing target.

This gave them enough time to have a go at South Africa, with the timing of their declaration. We then saw the difference between the two spin attacks, with the Indian pair conjuring up bounce and turn effortlessly and taking three wickets before close of play.

Ashwin and Radeja are going to bump their figures massively over the next day or two, Awatgal and Rohit already have and probably won't be required to don the pads for a second time.

Top cricket if you support India, desperately disappointing if you back South Africa - but interesting cricket regardless and the potential for some real fun from the Indian spinners as the pitch deteriorates.

Mibbes Aye
05-10-2019, 01:27 AM
Well, well, the enigma that is Test cricket!

South Africa were on their knees at the close of day two but came out fighting on day three. Elgar and Du Plessis took advantage of a quick outfield in the morning session with some bold shots.

This continued into the afternoon session, albeit De Kock eventually replacing Du Plessis. South Africa piled up the runs and piled up the boundaries from finding the gaps, a mixture of wide and fine on the offside. There have to be question marks about the Indian field, both inner and outer, for being just too close in. The outfielders in particular missed several catches just by virtue of ten or twenty yards' positioning. It is excusable once, twice, three times but I think it was easily double figures, possibly on both sides.

Elgar, who opened, and Du Plessis and the De Kock, made all the difference. Elgar was very patient in holding down his end and running up an admirable 160, He ultimately fell to Jadeja with a misjudged slog sweep that gave the Indian spinner his 200th Test wicket at IIRC a very good average. Ashwin was the pick of the Indian bowlers however, claiming a five-for after many, many overs.

De Kock is a player I really, really like and while Elgar anchored today's play, De Kock made all the difference, scoring at a very quick rate and making a century before being clean-bowled for a Nelson on 111.

So, South Africa ended up on 385-8, trailing by 117 runs.

They did far better today than was expected, certainly by me, and deserve credit for that. Still hard to see beyond India but the draw has become less unlikely.

Mibbes Aye
07-10-2019, 10:43 PM
Let this slip a bit but as expected, India saw it out comfortably with a convincing margin of victory, in no small part due to skittleing out the dangerous South African middle order in quick time, when they were asked to bat again. Shami bowled very well, to complement the spinners. Doesn’t look like India missed Bumrah :greengrin

I have hope that there is still life in this series, but it does feel a touch mismatched at the moment.

Over in Australia, their domestic red-ball cricket is about to start - the Sheffield Shield. Not sure if there will be any coverage on tv channels in the UK but there are a bunch of positions in the Test side that are up for contesting.

Mibbes Aye
13-10-2019, 10:04 PM
Not posted on the Second Test as I’ve not really seen anything other than very truncated highlights, due to being on holiday.

India steamrollered South Africa, winning by an innings and 137 runs. It is rare for teams to enforce the follow-on these days and maybe shows just how confident Virat Kohli was in his team.

Good performances in all the departments but the stand-out must be Wriddhaman Saha behind the stumps, with some excellent wicket keeping. Some of his catches will be on YouTube and are worth watching

Mibbes Aye
21-10-2019, 10:36 PM
Still on holiday so not seen much of the Third Test, actually only very brief highlights online.

India are poised to inflict another hefty defeat on South Africa. It has been a bit of a demolition job. Interestingly, it is their pace bowlers, Umesh and Shami, who have been wreaking havoc, not the very competent spinners. The quicks have been taking wickets at ridiculously cheap rates.

Every generation conjures up a great bowling attack. In my lifetime, the West Indies, Pakistan, Australia and England have all held claim to that title. This Indian attack is a bit special, especially given that they are without the best fast bowler in the world, in Jaspit Bumrah.

Donald Max
23-10-2019, 06:49 AM
test series is very slow i am bored with this i just watch some of my favorite player betting then witch of. but i love fats series like t20 and one day matches and these matches warm you all the time.

Mibbes Aye
25-10-2019, 12:09 AM
test series is very slow i am bored with this i just watch some of my favorite player betting then witch of. but i love fats series like t20 and one day matches and these matches warm you all the time.

I totally get why Test cricket is boring for some.

There can be long passages of play that feel very boring, because nothing seems to be happening.

Sometimes that is because nothing is happening, and it is boring.

To win at Test cricket you have to take twenty wickets. There are a bunch of variables - the weather, the pitch, the state of the ball, your fielding positions. They all interact.

And for me that is the beauty of the game. You can watch a couple of hours with nothing seeming to happen. But it might be because it is a flat pitch, offering nothing to your bowlers, with dry conditions that don’t offer swing.

You have to take twenty wickets. So you are patient and try to keep throwing the ball down just outside off stump again and again and again. And batsmen being batsmen want to score runs, so eventually you hope they are drawn out into attempting shots they don’t need to, because they are impatient. And that is when natural variation in the bounce of the ball, or its movement through the air, lead to the batsman misjudging the shot and edging it to a fielder.

I have to be honest, that kind of play is what I love most about cricket. The cat and mouse, the patience, the building of the pressure on the batsman.

It is hard to compare cricket and its different forms with other sports. In some ways it is easier to compare it with literature.

One-day cricket is the short story. T20 is a comic book. Neither of those descriptions are criticisms, they are hugely enjoyable and respectable forms of the game.

Test cricket is a sprawling novel at its best that drags you in several different directions before hopefully coming to a denouement. And if it doesn’t then that is because it is what it is - sometimes frustrating. But often utterly compelling.

JeMeSouviens
25-10-2019, 03:37 PM

There can be long passages of play that feel very boring, because nothing seems to be happening.

To win at Test cricket you have to take twenty wickets. There are a bunch of variables - the weather, the pitch, the state of the ball, your fielding positions. They all interact.

And for me that is the beauty of the game. You can watch a couple of hours with nothing seeming to happen. But it might be because it is a flat pitch, offering nothing to your bowlers, with dry conditions that don’t offer swing.

You have to take twenty wickets. So you are patient and try to keep throwing the ball down just outside off stump again and again and again. And batsmen being batsmen want to score runs, so eventually you hope they are drawn out into attempting shots they don’t need to, because they are impatient. And that is when natural variation in the bounce of the ball, or its movement through the air, lead to the batsman misjudging the shot and edging it to a fielder.

I have to be honest, that kind of play is what I love most about cricket. The cat and mouse, the patience, the building of the pressure on the batsman.

It is hard to compare cricket and its different forms with other sports. In some ways it is easier to compare it with literature.

One-day cricket is the short story. T20 is a comic book. Neither of those descriptions are criticisms, they are hugely enjoyable and respectable forms of the game.

Test cricket is a sprawling novel at its best that drags you in several different directions before hopefully coming to a denouement. And if it doesn’t then that is because it is what it is - sometimes frustrating. But often utterly compelling.

:agree:

The capacity for a 5 day sporting rollercoaster is what makes it.

Mibbes Aye
20-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Feast or famine! We have a double whammy starting overnight with Australia v Pakistan and New Zealand v England.

In the Australian game, there is interest. Pakistan tweaking their side again and capable of being awesome or awful, from game to game. For the Aussies, Warner has shown decent form domestically and will want to make up for his terrible Ashes series. Labuschagne meanwhile, has the chance to build on his breakthrough Ashes. It will also be interesting to see how Australia rotate their fast bowlers on home soil.

New Zealand is a tough test for England. I think the Kiwis have won ten of their last twelve series at home. The biggest question mark is probably around the gloves, with Buttler assuming wicket keeping responsibilities again. For once the top order looks like it may have some direction. Sibley and Burns have played together domestically and Crawley is waiting in the wings. Denly drops to three which will be interesting to see. This of course allows Root to drop to four. He will be happier there but I think it is a sign of weakness - he will say his average is better at four, but that is an average based on a softer ball and more fatigued bowlers.

Ive not actually seen the England team but I understand Sam Curran is likely first change bowler after Broad and Archer, which makes this a big series for him in terms of his Test future.

Mibbes Aye
20-11-2019, 09:45 PM
Needing to go to bed as an early start tomorrow.

At the risk of tempting fate, Dom Sibley already looks exactly what England want from an opener. 28 balls, only two scoring shots, but both dispatched for four.

Burns looking like he is settling into the role as well.

JimBHibees
21-11-2019, 05:52 AM

Agree with that test cricket is the genuine test of the player his technique and the team.

Think it is a societal thing now needing instant gratification.

heretoday
21-11-2019, 06:52 PM
Agree with that test cricket is the genuine test of the player his technique and the team.

Think it is a societal thing now needing instant gratification.

Cricket is one game that has not improved technically over the years.
The bowlers of the 70s/80s would make mincemeat of today's ill-prepared batsmen and the batsmen likewise to the bowlers.
The concentration on the one-day game has ruined the sacred arts of batting especially but bowling too.

Mibbes Aye
21-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Cricket is one game that has not improved technically over the years.
The bowlers of the 70s/80s would make mincemeat of today's ill-prepared batsmen and the batsmen likewise to the bowlers.
The concentration on the one-day game has ruined the sacred arts of batting especially but bowling too.

I agree that the rise of limited-overs cricket has had a definite impact on Test cricket.

Funnily enough, I thought England played decent Test cricket yesterday. They were patient, especially with the new ball, against what is a very worthy bowling unit. I think the very quick outfield helped, which meant when they were finding the gaps, they were finding boundaries. NZ will be frustrated they didn’t take more opportunities but there was good and patient Test bowling, especially working out Sibley’s tendency to play down the leg side to get him out, and then the delivery that was slightly wider of the crease to snag Denly (I think).

lord bunberry
21-11-2019, 10:23 PM
Stokes falls short on 91, but England looking strong.

Mibbes Aye
22-11-2019, 12:32 AM
England all out for 353, getting into the afternoon session on day two.

It is a fascinating score. England will be happy with the way they progressed initially, then hit a horrible slump, then steadied the ship for a bit of attrition. And the pitch is still fresh enough to offer something for Broad and Archer (and I suspect Sam Curran will be fired up to demonstrate what he can do with the ball, given he looked absolutely miserable on the team balcony after being dismissed at bat).

Very interesting stat in that in their last six home Tests to date, NZ have taken 101 wickets and every single one has been from pace, not spin. The pitch doesn’t look too much like a deteriorating one that will offer spin. It is late and I am struggling to remember but I think NZ are stacked with left-handlers in the top order (may have that wrong!) which might nullify what Jack Leach can do.

Lots of scope for the England quicks though, and a not-bad target to defend. The corollary is that there is some strength in that NZ top and middle order and they play very well on home soil.

Keeping half an eye on Australia-Pakistan. Cummins and Starc did a bit of a demolition job at the Gabba and the Australian opening pair were motoring along. Pakistan are playing a sixteen year old quick bowler who has genuine pace. I hadn’t really clocked him until now and it will be fascinating to see how he does, especially there in Brisbane and also if they play in Perth.

Mibbes Aye
22-11-2019, 02:00 AM
Ooh, excitement!

I am flirting between watching the two Tests, just switched over to Australia-Pakistan. Australia , responding to Pakistam’s fairly weak innings have been motoring along, the opening pair having made a hundred stand so far. The 16-year old Naseem, who has been bowling with some ferocious pace thought he had just got David Warner edging to slip, for his first Test wicket but he had overstepped the line and it was a no-ball. Still, he looks a talent, but at his age and with his pace he will need to manage the stresses and strains on his body. His action doesn’t look like one he can consistently deploy for the next twenty years!

Meanwhile at Mount Managaui, it is tea. NZ looking fairly comfortable though they dropped the wicket of Latham to some good bowling from Sam Curran. Kane Williamson already looks set in and if I was a gambling man, I would put my money on NZ putting some runs on the board between now and close of play. Cricket is a capricious mistress though, and a quick spell of wickets for England would turn things back around.

Dont think I will stay up much longer, though it isn’t hard to turn one’s back on two fascinating Test matches!

Mibbes Aye
23-11-2019, 12:46 AM
Dfficult work flitting between two Tests but Labuschagne has made his first Test century for Australia and it obviously meant a lot. I think he will be a player over the next decade. Warner scores a mighty 154 to announce his return to form but was caught out by a peach for the 16-year old tyro, Naseem. He has an outstanding future if he is physically managed properly. He still has a lot of physical development to go. Smith came in desperate to play, and he really is Hollywood -it’s like wanting to see Messi or the like. He was undone after a Viv Richards-style boundary however and was dismissed for four.

Over at Mount Managaui, Sam Curran had done well overnight to snare Kane Williamson for a paltry 51. De Grandhomme and Watling have both put on half-centuries to solidify NZ’s position however.

The Gabba Test is looking like a bit of a battering for Pakistan. The NZ Test still seems a bit poised, advantage slightly England perhaps but tight to call.

lord bunberry
23-11-2019, 01:27 AM
If ever I win the lottery I will make a point of taking in a test match in the bay of plenty. It looks like heaven to me.

Mibbes Aye
23-11-2019, 01:31 AM
If ever I win the lottery I will make a point of taking in a test match in the bay of plenty. It looks like heaven to me.

:greengrin

The Bay Oval looks like the dream cricket ground - friendly, relaxed and a good outfield that conjures up boundaries and good fielding. A pitch that can suit the bowler and the batsman. Heaven indeed :agree:

Mibbes Aye
23-11-2019, 02:10 AM
Australia looking well-placed, building up a healthy lead on Pakistan. Wade has the potential to go big and Labuschagne is in uncharted territory, a great batsman but certainly new to the Test arena but he has his first hundred and can stride on from there.

I was poised to put how well-placed NZ looked against England, then first ball after tea, Stokes gets De Grandhomme caught by Sibley, first ball. Great catch by Sibley but also a reinforcement of the Stokes narrative - he doesn’t quite deliver world class batting figures. He doesn’t quite deliver world class bowling figures. But he does both rather well, and when it comes to the crunch he can do one or the other at critical moments. Plus he is a world class fielder. Exceptional cricketer.

Mibbes Aye
24-11-2019, 12:39 AM
I never really got the expression “...like a dog with two tails” until now!

New Zealand have pushed on at the Bay Oval, patient cricketing but against increasingly tired bowling. They are giving themselves the chance of a declaration and a potential victory.

Over at the Gabba, it is really just a matter of time. Australia heading towards an innings victory almost certainly, Cummins and Starc again driving it with 4-53 between them so far.

Mibbes Aye
24-11-2019, 02:36 AM
Pakistan have been defending brilliantly. Credit due.

lord bunberry
26-11-2019, 11:06 PM
I never really got the expression “...like a dog with two tails” until now!

New Zealand have pushed on at the Bay Oval, patient cricketing but against increasingly tired bowling. They are giving themselves the chance of a declaration and a potential victory.

Over at the Gabba, it is really just a matter of time. Australia heading towards an innings victory almost certainly, Cummins and Starc again driving it with 4-53 between them so far.
As a guy who obviously loves cricket whats you’re view on test match cricket in Australia and New Zealand? The flat pitches and the kookaburra cricket ball might well lead to home victories, but imo it’s not as exciting. I’ve read that many in the Southern Hemisphere would rather use the Duke ball and I agree.

Mibbes Aye
26-11-2019, 11:35 PM
As a guy who obviously loves cricket whats you’re view on test match cricket in Australia and New Zealand? The flat pitches and the kookaburra cricket ball might well lead to home victories, but imo it’s not as exciting. I’ve read that many in the Southern Hemisphere would rather use the Duke ball and I agree.

Timely point. Cricket Australia used the Duke ball in the Sheffield Shield to prepare for the last Ashes.

By the same token one of the England cricketers, Denly I think, came out the other day calling for English county cricket pitches to be prepared more akin to foreign pitches. The problem there is that short-overs cricket has forced county cricket out to the very start and very end of the season, making it impossible to recreate those flat Southern Hemisphere strips.

I think for a while, home advantage has become key and that has benefitted England as much as anyone. Nevertheless, India, South Africa and England can all, dependent on circumstance, go to Aus with a reasonable chance. Aus went through a real trough but are now looking very strong.

NZ have a fantastic home series record but again, they have one of the top three batsmen in the world at the helm, a bunch of decent to very good guys around him, and a well co-ordinated bowling unit. Plus arguably, the shorter series format there gives them a better chance. At some point they will lose Williamson, Taylor, Guptill, Nicholls, Boult and if they don’t have the replacements lined up they will suffer in the same way Aus did when they lost McGrath, Langer, Hayden, Warne, Gilchrist etc all within a few years.

But to get back to your point, I can see the argument for the Duke on Southern surfaces, but when you look at domestic Aus cricket, it is still producing fantastic bowlers of spin and pace. From a purely selfish point of view, I love a big series Down Under, opening at the Gabba, with the tourists in to bat and the Aussies using the Kookaburra - it isn’t as subtle as the Duke but it can be explosive.

Maybe a compromise - the Kook in Brisbane and Perth, the Duke at the SCG, MCG, and Adelaide :greengrin

lord bunberry
28-11-2019, 01:46 PM
Timely point. Cricket Australia used the Duke ball in the Sheffield Shield to prepare for the last Ashes.

By the same token one of the England cricketers, Denly I think, came out the other day calling for English county cricket pitches to be prepared more akin to foreign pitches. The problem there is that short-overs cricket has forced county cricket out to the very start and very end of the season, making it impossible to recreate those flat Southern Hemisphere strips.

I think for a while, home advantage has become key and that has benefitted England as much as anyone. Nevertheless, India, South Africa and England can all, dependent on circumstance, go to Aus with a reasonable chance. Aus went through a real trough but are now looking very strong.

NZ have a fantastic home series record but again, they have one of the top three batsmen in the world at the helm, a bunch of decent to very good guys around him, and a well co-ordinated bowling unit. Plus arguably, the shorter series format there gives them a better chance. At some point they will lose Williamson, Taylor, Guptill, Nicholls, Boult and if they don’t have the replacements lined up they will suffer in the same way Aus did when they lost McGrath, Langer, Hayden, Warne, Gilchrist etc all within a few years.

But to get back to your point, I can see the argument for the Duke on Southern surfaces, but when you look at domestic Aus cricket, it is still producing fantastic bowlers of spin and pace. From a purely selfish point of view, I love a big series Down Under, opening at the Gabba, with the tourists in to bat and the Aussies using the Kookaburra - it isn’t as subtle as the Duke but it can be explosive.

Maybe a compromise - the Kook in Brisbane and Perth, the Duke at the SCG, MCG, and Adelaide :greengrin
I read somewhere that they had tried using a white duke ball in some lower level matches in England and it was moving about all over over the place. I wonder if they’ll ever use that.

lord bunberry
30-11-2019, 12:38 AM
It’s looking like the long game in this test again. New Zealand have such a strong batting line up that a draw is the worst they can get. More importantly I can see myself lying back on one of those grass banks one day.

Mibbes Aye
30-11-2019, 01:34 AM
It’s looking like the long game in this test again. New Zealand have such a strong batting line up that a draw is the worst they can get. More importantly I can see myself lying back on one of those grass banks one day.

It is another great-looking ground isn’t it? :greengrin

I didnt catch yesterday’s play other than highlights earlier this evening. Been watching the play tonight, though came off for a bit, will go back on.

NZ have put out two big stands, with Latham and Taylor, and Watling and the debutant Mitchell.

I worry for England as they don’t have a spinner who is in the team because they are a spinner. Stokes is surely not fit and they risk either exacerbating that, and risking him for SAF, or they pull him from bowling and put more workload on Archer and Broad, who both already have been carrying a heavy share of the overs.

Going back to your first sentence, you are right. The Watling/Mitchell partnership especially has been patient Test cricket batting. Lovely stuff.

Mibbes Aye
30-11-2019, 01:40 AM
Seeing as I am up I will probably tune in to day two of the Second Test between Australia and Pakistan.

Australia are utterly dominant after day one. David Warner seems to be on a mission to dismiss any Ashes ghosts by dint of just scoring shedloads of runs.

Marnus Labuschagne is living the dream. He gets offered a chance, essentially through Steve Smith getting a concussion in the Ashes. He comes in and scores runs. And then continues to score runs. Goes back home and scores more runs. All of a sudden he is first drop and a stick-on in the Australia XI. Nice work.

Anyway, Australia were 1-302 at stumps on day one. I suspect another innings victory is heading towards, if not already, in the bag.

Mibbes Aye
30-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Well, I was right about Warner!

No mistake, that is up there in the canon of great innings. First triple century in Adelaide, second highest Test score by an Australian.

And not out, so his batting average will go through the roof :greengrin

I watched him up until he got to 254 and bettered his previous best of 253, Caught the later stages on catch-up.

An absolutely fantastic innings, lovely shots, both on the on- and off-side.

It was clearly an emotional occasion for him at every stage and it was moving in the way he clearly acknowledged Phil Hughes on what would have been his 31st birthday.

And after the batting, Australia utterly ruthless in response. Mitchell Starc and Tim Paine combined beautifully and Pakistan were reduced to six wickets down, Babar Azam being the only stand-out for the tourists.

Mibbes Aye
02-12-2019, 12:32 AM
And fresh of the back of a legend innings at Adelaide, Joe Root posts a serious total in Hamilton.

200 for the England skipper, room for more. Lots of talk about the captaincy being removed to allow him to concentrate on his batting. Maybe it is all okay?

Mibbes Aye
12-12-2019, 03:14 AM
We are around an hour away from the start of the First Test in Perth, Australia, between the home side and a touring NZ.

There has been a crest of media coverage over the last couple of months about whether this is the best NZ side ever. The stats are supportive but obviously influenced by the difference in schedules since Hadlee and Crowe played. What seems clear is they have more strength in depth over the last five years or so than when Hadlee or Crowe played. What isn’t in doubt is that this is an accomplished, tight and organised Kiwi side.

Not seen the teams yet and it is a pink-ball Test. There is talk of NZ playing Lockie Ferguson instead of Santner - an extra paceman for a spinner. Perth always suited out and out pace but this isn’t the WACA, it is a new stadium and I am not sure myself as to what degree it accommodates spin, let alone the variations of spin that tourists will bring.

For Australia, it looks like it will be continuity. After a good few years muddling about, partly because of the suspensions, but also just generally, they look like they might be settling on a very strong XI. What I do like is the bowling unit. The three first-picks plus Lyon, with Labuschagne and Smith able to provide respite, and Richardson and Pattinson both capable of stepping in should there be an injury amongst the quicks.

I think this is only a two-Test series but it should be a belter.

Mibbes Aye
15-12-2019, 08:28 PM
I got it wrong in the last post, I think it is a three-Test series. Melbourne and Sydney to follow.

A comprehensive win for Australia, within four days. Solid batting in their first innings, with Labuschagne continuing to revel in the opportunity he has been given and earned.

New Zealand’s bowling was weakened by the absence of Trent Boult and then Lockie Ferguson succumbing to injury. To even things out, Josh Hazlewood suffered an injury early on for Australia, but they still had enough in the locker to dismiss NZ cheaply over two innings, Starc and Lyon doing the most damage.

Hazlewood won’t feature at the MCG which gives an opportunity to a couple of other quicks to make their case.

JeMeSouviens
06-01-2020, 09:35 AM
So, with Dom Sibley 125no at Cape Town, have England finally found an opening pair? (albeit Burns has done his ankle playing football)

Meanwhile, the Aussies have absolutely crushed NZ. I can't see anyone winning a series in Aussie for the forseeable! The next ashes looks very daunting for England.

JeMeSouviens
07-01-2020, 11:24 AM
2nd test SA v Eng heading for a close finish. 46 overs to go, 5 wickets needed. Dogged resistance from the plucky Proteas.

lord bunberry
07-01-2020, 12:30 PM
Final session about to begin with England needing 5 wickets to win. England really need to win this or questions will be asked about their ability to take 20 wickets and win a test match on the road. It’s been a real problem for them lately.

JeMeSouviens
07-01-2020, 01:33 PM
Final session about to begin with England needing 5 wickets to win. England really need to win this or questions will be asked about their ability to take 20 wickets and win a test match on the road. It’s been a real problem for them lately.

7 down with 18 overs left. Tight!

lord bunberry
07-01-2020, 01:52 PM
7 down with 18 overs left. Tight!
8 down now with 13 overs to go. This is tense stuff.
Stokes takes another and is on a hatrick 9 down.

JeMeSouviens
07-01-2020, 01:58 PM
8 down now with 13 overs to go. This is tense stuff.
Stokes takes another and is on a hatrick 9 down.

Who else? :greengrin

12 overs to get the last wicket.

lord bunberry
07-01-2020, 02:09 PM
Who else? :greengrin

12 overs to get the last wicket.
It had to be him, Stokes takes the last wicket. Anyone who says cricket is boring should watch that last session.

JeMeSouviens
07-01-2020, 02:42 PM
It had to be him, Stokes takes the last wicket. Anyone who says cricket is boring should watch that last session.

It seems mad that test cricket is apparently dying when there seem to have been so many great 5 day matches in recent times.

lord bunberry
07-01-2020, 05:16 PM
It seems mad that test cricket is apparently dying when there seem to have been so many great 5 day matches in recent times.
I agree, today was a great example of why games shouldn’t change to 4 days.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-01-2020, 06:57 PM
What a boost it must be to have someone like Stokes in your team no matter what situation you find yourselves in. Such an inspirational player bowling, fielding or batting.

lord bunberry
07-01-2020, 07:34 PM
What a boost it must be to have someone like Stokes in your team no matter what situation you find yourselves in. Such an inspirational player bowling, fielding or batting.
I just hope they don’t spoil it by making him captain. Thankfully Root is still young and doing a good job.

weecounty hibby
08-01-2020, 06:35 PM
Great result and match and is exactly why test match cricket is still the pinnacle and should remain as a five day game

JeMeSouviens
16-01-2020, 12:50 PM
England doing that thing they did in the 1st innings at Cape Town where they all get a start but nobody makes a big score. :rolleyes:

Currently 161/4 with Stokes 11 and Pope 4.

JeMeSouviens
16-01-2020, 02:27 PM
224/4 at the close. Stokes has grittily dug in and Pope a bit more comfortable. They are 38 and 39 not out respectively. Decent position for England but it could quickly unravel if these 2 go quickly in the morning.

Mibbes Aye
16-01-2020, 11:35 PM
Cheers for the updates JMS, job well done.

I caught a bit of today's play. A pleasant surface for sure and no surprise that if you won the toss you would bat first.

From England's perspective, they have done okay. Everyone got in without pushing on, but crucially they got in and I saw some lovely shots being played. And, at the risk of tempting fate, England might suddenly have options at opening bat with Crawley, Sibley and Rory Burns to return.

Having said that, it is a placid pitch so I might reserve judgement until I see them at the Gabba or Eden Gardens...

Can't really criticise SAF, they persevered. Probably a couple of occasions where the fielding positions could have been better, but as soon as Faf recognised it he remedied it.

Classic cricket cliche alert - the morning session is going to be crucial :greengrin

lord bunberry
17-01-2020, 09:47 AM

I caught a bit of today's play. A pleasant surface for sure and no surprise that if you won the toss you would bat first.

From England's perspective, they have done okay. Everyone got in without pushing on, but crucially they got in and I saw some lovely shots being played. And, at the risk of tempting fate, England might suddenly have options at opening bat with Crawley, Sibley and Rory Burns to return.

Having said that, it is a placid pitch so I might reserve judgement until I see them at the Gabba or Eden Gardens...

Can't really criticise SAF, they persevered. Probably a couple of occasions where the fielding positions could have been better, but as soon as Faf recognised it he remedied it.

Classic cricket cliche alert - the morning session is going to be crucial :greengrin
England have dominated the morning session so far with Stokes bagging another century and Pope going along steadily. England are 335/4 at lunch.

lord bunberry
17-01-2020, 10:02 AM
Apparently Rabada has been banned for the final test for his conduct after dismissing Root. I didn’t really notice anything at the time, but he did run right down the pitch to Root.

JeMeSouviens
17-01-2020, 10:03 AM
England have dominated the morning session so far with Stokes bagging another century and Pope going along steadily. England are 335/4 at lunch.

Pretty much the perfect session for England. No wickets lost, scoring accelerated nicely, another century for Stokes and Pope successfully reviewed after being given out lbw.

A cliche from MA, but it was true, that was a crucial session and has probably already put a SA win out of the equation or at least made it a miracle required job!

JeMeSouviens
17-01-2020, 10:05 AM
Apparently Rabada has been banned for the final test for his conduct after dismissing Root. I didn’t really notice anything at the time, but he did run right down the pitch to Root.

They get "demerit" points for various infringements and this is his fourth within 2 years, meaning the suspension is automatic.

JeMeSouviens
17-01-2020, 10:09 AM

I think Sibley and Burns will be the first choice and given a chance to nail down the selection. Ollie Pope seems to be taking his chance as well. 3rd 50 in 4 tests and a great chance to get his first century today. Which is good timing for England with Bairstow and to an extent Buttler having lost a bit of mojo recently.

lord bunberry
17-01-2020, 10:14 AM
They get "demerit" points for various infringements and this is his fourth within 2 years, meaning the suspension is automatic.
Yeah I’m watching as they debate it now, it’s getting almost as heated as the incident as they all argue with each other in the studio and at the ground.

lord bunberry
17-01-2020, 10:18 AM
Pretty much the perfect session for England. No wickets lost, scoring accelerated nicely, another century for Stokes and Pope successfully reviewed after being given out lbw.

A cliche from MA, but it was true, that was a crucial session and has probably already put a SA win out of the equation or at least made it a miracle required job!
I think England will try and press on in the afternoon session and look to declare in order to reduce the chance of the draw.

JeMeSouviens
17-01-2020, 10:56 AM
Stokes goes for 120. Another fine innings from last year's cricketer of the year. :not worth

351/5

JeMeSouviens
17-01-2020, 12:16 PM
Pope gets his ton.

420/7

Since Stokes, the wickets to fall have been a mojo-less Buttler out for 1 and Curran hit a quickfire 44.

lord bunberry
17-01-2020, 12:16 PM
Pope gets his century, England are 420/7.

JeMeSouviens
17-01-2020, 01:32 PM
Mental 42 from Mark Wood including 5 6s. :greengrin

England declare 499/9

JeMeSouviens
17-01-2020, 02:51 PM
Close - England got a couple of wickets, both to Dom Bess. The first a gift from Malan.
Mark Wood with a very fiery spell at consistently over 90mph.

60/2. England well on top.

Mibbes Aye
17-01-2020, 06:23 PM
I think Sibley and Burns will be the first choice and given a chance to nail down the selection. Ollie Pope seems to be taking his chance as well. 3rd 50 in 4 tests and a great chance to get his first century today. Which is good timing for England with Bairstow and to an extent Buttler having lost a bit of mojo recently.

I agree with you, I think you’re right that it will be Sibley and Burns. No doubting that England may have turned a corner in terms of depth and cover.

Mibbes Aye
18-01-2020, 11:40 AM
I agree with you, I think you’re right that it will be Sibley and Burns. No doubting that England may have turned a corner in terms of depth and cover.

Despite the rain England have posted some real intent, with Pope and Stokes taking the game away from SAF and Dom Bess then setting up the potential for victory.

This tour looks set to be a real endorsement for the younger guys and that is really nice to see. It is curious how quickly the selection worries resolve themselves when you see players displaying form.

However, I am cautious in my praise. The pitches have been generous here in both regards and there will be far greater challenges in Kolkota or Brisbane. And this South African team are still under-performing, they are lesser than the sum of their parts. It is not hard to see how easily they could push on, given the players they have, but it is just not clicking yet.

For England it is exciting times. I remember when I was young, their football team had the problem of having available both Peter Shilton and Ray Clemence in goals, with the likes of Joe Corrigan staking a claim too. It is a bit like that behind the stumps, with Buttler, Bairstow and Foakes all challenging for the gloves. One could argue for pushing one of them up the order, but this tour has thrown open the possibility, depending on continued performance, of Burns moving to three, Denly to four and Root dropping to five. I’ve always thought Root should bat at three, it is the responsible thing to do, but if the opening pair were solid then I can see why him dropping down to five would allow him to pile up runs and manage the tail. I say ‘tail’ but the likes of Curran are clearly capable of runs. Of course, that means no room for Pope, so I suspect that it will be Crawley who loses out to Burns.

There have been many false dawns for England over the years but in this century they have already fashioned at least two very good sides and we could be on the cusp of a third. An Ashes series and a tour in the sub-continent will tell us more.

Mibbes Aye
18-01-2020, 04:35 PM
Good day of Test cricket today, if not complete due to the weather.

Dom Bess grabs the headlines with a well-deserved five-for and England certainly have the upper hand. It is a great achievement for a young man who maybe couldn’t or shouldn’t have expected to be playing here at all.

For me though, today was about South African defiance and nobody epitomised that more than Nortje. He was absolutely rock solid. There will be Ancient Greek philosophers turning in their graves realising that stoicism has been redefined.

The other star was Quinton De Kock. I have a lot of time for him as a batsman and look forward to seeing how his career pans out. Today he was excellent.

What struck me watching him today, and I hadn’t noticed this as much before, is his lack of footwork. Everything was dictated by the wrists and the angle of his upper body, with some beautiful boundaries as a consequence. That languid style is a joy to watch. I suspect that he will have to adapt his style on more challenging pitches but this guy is a real talent and someone that SAF will build their team around over the coming years.

So, England in the box seat for sure, but a welcome fight back from the SAF middle order to make the game interesting.

JeMeSouviens
21-01-2020, 06:03 PM
Really surprised at how little resistance SA put up in the end. They seem to be in a bit of a state.

JeMeSouviens
27-01-2020, 02:24 PM
England wrap up the series 3-1. It's hard to tell how good their performance has been and how poor South Africa's? Any overseas win is pretty encouraging though.

lord bunberry
31-03-2020, 10:50 PM
Sky Sports Cricket is absolutely brilliant right now. The Ashes from the 80s is brilliant and the show with Makhaya Ntini was both uplifting and tragic.

Mibbes Aye
02-04-2020, 02:27 AM
Sky Sports Cricket is absolutely brilliant right now. The Ashes from the 80s is brilliant and the show with Makhaya Ntini was both uplifting and tragic.

They have a bunch of really good documentaries and interview shows that will be bound to be on for the foreseeable.

The Charles Colville series where he interviews the various former England Test captains is magnificent. Just very good, well-researched television. Likewise the multi-episode series where Nasser interviewed Kevin Pietersen is great watching, though it is hard to warm to KP.

I thought Michael Atherton’s interviews with Malcolm Marshall and Steve Waugh were also really entertaining.

Mibbes Aye
10-04-2020, 08:17 PM
I really enjoyed this piece by Mark Nicholas about the supreme talent that was Viv Richards.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29019820/mark-nicholas-playing-viv-richards

lord bunberry
16-04-2020, 02:37 AM
They have a bunch of really good documentaries and interview shows that will be bound to be on for the foreseeable.

The Charles Colville series where he interviews the various former England Test captains is magnificent. Just very good, well-researched television. Likewise the multi-episode series where Nasser interviewed Kevin Pietersen is great watching, though it is hard to warm to KP.

I thought Michael Atherton’s interviews with Malcolm Marshall and Steve Waugh were also really entertaining.
The KP interviews are really fascinating. We’re all aware of apartheid and the way it discriminated against black people, but KP definitely felt that the quota system was stalling his career. There’s no doubt in my mind that KP would’ve played for South Africa under normal circumstances. It’s just a pity that white people were such *******s and treated blacks as commodities. That’s just awful for a successful white cricketer.

Mibbes Aye
25-04-2020, 07:38 PM
Since there isn't any live sport on, then here is a challenge. Name your best XI

Rules are

It is based on Test cricket, not ODI or T20
It is players who have been around since you got into cricket - for me that was the early nineties
The XI has to follow the rules - two proper openers, a wicket keeper and a balance in the bowling attack. For the avoidance of doubt, I am basing it on a pitch that offers something to batsmen, pace bowlers and spinners in equal measure

My shot

1. Sanith Jayasuriya
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Brian Lara
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Steve Waugh (c)
6. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
7. Jacque Kallis
8. Shane Warne
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Glenn McGrath

The question with a Test team is always that slight weighting in one position - batsman or bowler. I have gone for five bowlers - you need to take twenty wickets to win the match. But the two South Africans could score runs with the bat and Shane Warne turned into a decent barsman over his career.

There are a lot of very good Test players who didn't make the cut in this XI. I could probably name a side that would give my first-picks a decent contest.

Anyone else want to name a side?

Radium
25-04-2020, 08:19 PM
Since there isn't any live sport on, then here is a challenge. Name your best XI

Rules are

It is players who have been around since you got into cricket - for me that was the early nineties
The XI has to follow the rules - two proper openers, a wicket keeper and a balance in the bowling attack. For the avoidance of doubt, I am basing it on a pitch that offers something to batsmen, pace bowlers and spinners in equal measure

My shot

1. Sanith Jayasuriya
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Brian Lara
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Steve Waugh (c)
6. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
7. Jacque Kallis
8. Shane Warne
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Glenn McGrath

The question with a Test team is always that slight weighting in one position - batsman or bowler. I have gone for five bowlers - you need to take twenty wickets to win the match. But the two South Africans could score runs with the bat and Shane Warne turned into a decent barsman over his career.

There are a lot of very good Test players who didn't make the cut in this XI. I could probably name a side that would give my first-picks a decent contest.

Rainy days in the eighties watching cricket on the tele just adds problems.

Gordon Greenidge at No 2

Sir Viv Richards at No 3

Ian Botham as the alrounder instead of Kallis. In at 6 or 7

Richard Hadley for Pollock

Malcolm Marshall for Ambrose

The players being left out are top tier and in some cases greats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
25-04-2020, 08:29 PM
Rainy days in the eighties watching cricket on the tele just adds problems.

Gordon Greenidge at No 2

Sir Viv Richards at No 3

Ian Botham as the alrounder instead of Kallis. In at 6 or 7

Richard Hadley for Pollock

Malcolm Marshall for Ambrose

The players being left out are top tier and in some cases greats.

I think they are all good shouts and could add Imran Khan and Kapil Dev and Allan Border and Martin Crowe but they were just before my time.

Tomsk
25-04-2020, 08:33 PM

Rules are

My shot

1. Sanith Jayasuriya
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Brian Lara
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Steve Waugh (c)
6. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
7. Jacque Kallis
8. Shane Warne
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Glenn McGrath

Bit harsh - we all like a drink now and then.

My XI

1 Sunny Gavaskar
2 Barry Richards
3 Viv Richards
4 Brian Lara
5 Sachin Tendulkar
6 Kumar Sangakarra
7 Imran Khan (c)
8 Richard Hadlee
9 Shane Warne
10 Malcolm Marshall
11 Waqar Younis

My team doesn't really have a number three (so we're looking for a good start, lads) but I had to fit in Lara, Viv and Tendulkar. Also, bit short on if it starts spinning but Viv can hold up an end while Shane does the damage at the other. I just don't know who Imran's going to give the new ball to.

3 x West Indies, 2 x India, 2 x Pakistan, 1 South Africa, Sri Lanka, Kiwi and Australia. Only one Aussie! No English players.

Mibbes Aye
26-04-2020, 02:19 AM
Bit harsh - we all like a drink now and then.

My XI

1 Sunny Gavaskar
2 Barry Richards
3 Viv Richards
4 Brian Lara
5 Sachin Tendulkar
6 Kumar Sangakarra
7 Imran Khan (c)
8 Richard Hadlee
9 Shane Warne
10 Malcolm Marshall
11 Waqar Younis

My team doesn't really have a number three (so we're looking for a good start, lads) but I had to fit in Lara, Viv and Tendulkar. Also, bit short on if it starts spinning but Viv can hold up an end while Shane does the damage at the other. I just don't know who Imran's going to give the new ball to.

3 x West Indies, 2 x India, 2 x Pakistan, 1 South Africa, Sri Lanka, Kiwi and Australia. Only one Aussie! No English players.

I so nearly went with Sangakarra but Gilchrist was irresistible. Being honest, from a technical point of view I thought Ian Healy was a better keeper but AG could change a game in one or two overs with the bat.

I am glad to see you went with the Richards brothers. Family is important and they only fall slightly short to the Showumnis in being a great sporting family.

Tomsk
26-04-2020, 09:01 AM
I so nearly went with Sangakarra but Gilchrist was irresistible. Being honest, from a technical point of view I thought Ian Healy was a better keeper but AG could change a game in one or two overs with the bat.

I am glad to see you went with the Richards brothers. Family is important and they only fall slightly short to the Showumnis in being a great sporting family.

Very tough to pick a keeper. I'm old enough to also consider Knott, Marsh and Dujon as well. I chose Sangakarra because there's actually a really strong case to include him as a batsman alone - he has the best average in my team except Barry.

Radium
26-04-2020, 09:07 AM
I think they are all good shouts and could add Imran Khan and Kapil Dev and Allan Border and Martin Crowe but they were just before my time.

Imran Khan was the real struggle. With Murali they could replace Warne and McGrath

Tomsk
26-04-2020, 09:21 AM
Imran Khan was the real struggle. With Murali they could replace Warne and McGrath

In fairness to Warne and McGrath they were rather hampered by actually bowling rather than chucking the ball.

Mibbes Aye
26-04-2020, 07:45 PM
Very tough to pick a keeper. I'm old enough to also consider Knott, Marsh and Dujon as well. I chose Sangakarra because there's actually a really strong case to include him as a batsman alone - he has the best average in my team except Barry.

I think there's a key point there. When I started following cricket, it felt like it was just about the time that keepers became expected to be selected as batsmen in their own right, averaging 40+

Mibbes Aye
26-04-2020, 07:47 PM

There's something about not just who might be the best batsman or the best bowler, there is the thing about leaders - that's why I picked Steve Waugh as my captain. Imran certainly falls into the category of a leader.

Mibbes Aye
07-07-2020, 10:48 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=67xXbTaQlKI

Play due to start tomorrow at Southampton for England vs the Windies.

For England a new and sudden certainty about the top order, helped by Root’s absence on paternity leave. It just leaves the decision about how you place Sibley, Crawley, Denly and Burns. For me it is Sibley and Burns opening but first drop is up for grabs.

Bowling-wise England have options too. Everyone is more or less fit in the pace attack and we could see Broad sitting out, which is a big decision.

For the Windies, the sense is that they will go with a four man pace attack and include a spinner, on a pitch that could be sluggish but reward late spin. I have read that Hetmyer might be the batsman sacrificed to accommodate five bowlers. That is a shame because I have a lot of time for him, but he is young and he will have many more opportunities.

Weather forecast is warm but a decent chance of showers. That mugginess might certainly suit winning the toss and bowling first. Jimmy Anderson would relish that. Ricky Holder, who has got back to fitness, would probably be the same.

marinello59
08-07-2020, 09:35 AM
Toss delayed.
Now it seems like summer really is here. :greengrin

lord bunberry
08-07-2020, 10:34 PM
West Indies must be a bit disappointed to only get the one wicket considering the conditions. I can’t help thinking England would’ve had the ball swinging and nipping around in the overcast conditions.

Mibbes Aye
08-07-2020, 11:54 PM
West Indies must be a bit disappointed to only get the one wicket considering the conditions. I can’t help thinking England would’ve had the ball swinging and nipping around in the overcast conditions.

Only just seen highlights. England were only managing two an over and Denly was looking shaky to say the least.

Muggy again in the morning, with the next couple of days dry and fair. Advantage Windies for me.

As you say though, it would potentially be a whole different game had England bowled first. Also got to wonder whether Broad is being eased out ahead of the next Ashes.

lord bunberry
09-07-2020, 11:26 AM
Only just seen highlights. England were only managing two an over and Denly was looking shaky to say the least.

Muggy again in the morning, with the next couple of days dry and fair. Advantage Windies for me.

As you say though, it would potentially be a whole different game had England bowled first. Also got to wonder whether Broad is being eased out ahead of the next Ashes.
I think everyone thought it was strange that Broad wasn’t playing, there was a suggestion that it simply down to them rotating the bowlers so that they all got a bowl. Time will tell on that one.

JeMeSouviens
09-07-2020, 12:29 PM

It certainly is now! 106/5 at lunch.

Ideally they'd probably want to bowl England out and then rain and/or light to stop play until conditions improve tomorrow. We may yet see a lot more wickets today if they can keep playing.

heretoday
09-07-2020, 09:33 PM
I'll be surprised if this match goes to Sunday. Honestly, the batting is atrocious.

The days of Boycott holding his end up for a day and a half are long gone - no offence!

Mibbes Aye
09-07-2020, 10:31 PM
I thought that Holder and Gabriel bowled particularly well but Roach and Joseph did well too, just didn't get a share of the wickets. They found some very subtle lines which unpicked the English batsmen. There was also some really good fielding by the Windies, though a couple of clangers as well.

As ever in Test cricket, there is a risk in calling things too early but England omitting Broad looks a real mistep. On the other hand, the conditions are Anderson-perfect, and Archer and Wood have done nothing to not deserve a chance.

Pleased for Jason Holder, he is really showing as quite the all-rounder. For England, I hope Sibley and Crawley are persevered with. England have an unfortunate trait of giving a youngster a few games then dropping them. Keaton Jennings was a good example. At that age the drop dents their confidence, they go back to county games and don't perform as well, which makes the whole process self-reinforcing.

lord bunberry
10-07-2020, 10:21 AM
I thought that Holder and Gabriel bowled particularly well but Roach and Joseph did well too, just didn't get a share of the wickets. They found some very subtle lines which unpicked the English batsmen. There was also some really good fielding by the Windies, though a couple of clangers as well.

As ever in Test cricket, there is a risk in calling things too early but England omitting Broad looks a real mistep. On the other hand, the conditions are Anderson-perfect, and Archer and Wood have done nothing to not deserve a chance.

Pleased for Jason Holder, he is really showing as quite the all-rounder. For England, I hope Sibley and Crawley are persevered with. England have an unfortunate trait of giving a youngster a few games then dropping them. Keaton Jennings was a good example. At that age the drop dents their confidence, they go back to county games and don't perform as well, which makes the whole process self-reinforcing.
On the subject of Broad, he gave a really good interview this morning. Seems he’s not happy at not playing, you could be right about him being phased out.

Mibbes Aye
11-07-2020, 12:32 AM
Interesting day’s play today.

Most of the Windies got themselves into a start but only a couple could progress. Nevertheless it gave them a lead on a pitch that will reward batting tomorrow but has to be flaky if it gets to day five, which it will almost certainly will.

For me, the last ten overs, when England came back into bat, were what Test cricket is all about. Real cat and mouse. Some fine bowling from the Windies and some sensible, cautious and patient batting from the England openers

Mibbes Aye
11-07-2020, 07:54 PM
One day to go, a fifth day pitch, England with a lead of 170 and two wickets in hand.

This is what makes Test cricket one of the most exquisite things in the world!

Mibbes Aye
12-07-2020, 11:43 PM
Deserved victory for the Windies I thought.

Shannon Gabriel bowled ever so well and the middle order did the job in the fourth innings to seal victory.

Also nice to see the match go to the last session of the final day, same as the last tour at Headingley.

Stokes and Holder looks like shaping up to be one of those personal battles that brings an added frisson to a series.

My personal highlight was when Holder and Blackwood were at the crease. Holder is six foot seven, Blackwood is a short guy to say the least. It was like a dad and a primary-age son batting together!

Never been to the Aegas Bowl in Southampton but it looks a nice ground. Once normality resumes it may be a trip to make.

JeMeSouviens
13-07-2020, 06:53 PM
Deserved victory for the Windies I thought.

Shannon Gabriel bowled ever so well and the middle order did the job in the fourth innings to seal victory.

Also nice to see the match go to the last session of the final day, same as the last tour at Headingley.

Stokes and Holder looks like shaping up to be one of those personal battles that brings an added frisson to a series.

My personal highlight was when Holder and Blackwood were at the crease. Holder is six foot seven, Blackwood is a short guy to say the least. It was like a dad and a primary-age son batting together!

Never been to the Aegas Bowl in Southampton but it looks a nice ground. Once normality resumes it may be a trip to make.

Great to see the Windies doing so well.

Mibbes Aye
14-07-2020, 11:15 PM
Great to see the Windies doing so well.

Yeah, I know it varies but I think because of their home pitches, and also the bowlers they produce and how they can bowl on tour, the Windies and Pakistan are a delight when on form. Either one of those two, or ideally both being stronger, would be great for the Test game.

As it stands, we obviously have Australia, India, England and New Zealand on form, more so on home turf. South Africa are in a funny state where they have young talent coming through, but not quite settled yet. The Sri Lankans are hard to call, but definitely stronger at home. Same for the newer nations so far, but that might change.

lord bunberry
17-07-2020, 10:26 PM
Great innings from Stokes and Sibley today and good to see a windies spinner taking five wickets. England must be kicking themselves for not reviewing that late Curran delivery. I was actually thinking that under the var system in football it would be reviewed automatically, I think I prefer the cricket method though as it adds to the drama, whereas var in football takes something away from the enjoyment.

Mibbes Aye
18-07-2020, 04:06 PM
Great innings from Stokes and Sibley today and good to see a windies spinner taking five wickets. England must be kicking themselves for not reviewing that late Curran delivery. I was actually thinking that under the var system in football it would be reviewed automatically, I think I prefer the cricket method though as it adds to the drama, whereas var in football takes something away from the enjoyment.

DRS certainly adds drama because on TV you see every step, from front foot through to the ball pitching, the snicker and then the projection onto stumps. Plus you have the captain’s gamble of losing a review, though I think batsmen generally know if they were safe in terms of bat onto pads and the bowler and keeper have a fair sense of whether it would have gone on to the stumps. And generally umpires get it right, though there was a series recently (in the last couple of years) where the on field umpires had an absolute nightmare with overturned decisions, cannot for the life of me recall which one -England v NZ maybe?

Really pleased for Sibley. It is very early days in his England career but he looks like he might be just what England were crying out for in an opener. He will need to show it against world-class bowlers on pitches in the sub-continent, the Southern Hemisphere and the Caribbean though.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-07-2020, 10:27 AM
Entertaining stuff this morning, Stokes in full flow.

lord bunberry
20-07-2020, 10:59 AM
West Indies needs 312 to win, England have 85 overs to bowl them out.

lord bunberry
20-07-2020, 11:17 AM
Campbell goes for 4 in the first over after a review.

lord bunberry
20-07-2020, 11:51 AM
West Indies 3 down for 23 runs. 2 wickets for Broad and 1 for Woakes.

heretoday
20-07-2020, 03:09 PM
Only one winner now.

lord bunberry
21-07-2020, 10:58 PM
Really enjoyable test match, England will be delighted, but the West Indies must be kicking themselves after that collapse on day 4. What I find fascinating is who England will select to bowl for the final game. Are they going to look to the future with Archer and Wood or do they go with Broad and Anderson? Broad made a good point last week when he said he always gets coupled with Anderson, but he’s 4 years younger than Anderson. Anderson has taken 170 wickets in the last 4 years so Broad could easily do the same. Woakes and Curran is another conundrum, Woakes has an excellent record in England and Curran consistently gets wickets. One things for sure, they can’t all play.

lord bunberry
24-07-2020, 05:18 PM
That Cornwall guy is a big geezer. There’s not many professional sportsman that size.

HH81
24-07-2020, 09:19 PM
That Cornwall guy is a big geezer. There’s not many professional sportsman that size.

22 stone. Good bowler though.

JeMeSouviens
25-07-2020, 10:05 AM

The catch he took yesterday was a beauty. Super sharp reaction from the big guy.

Tomsk
25-07-2020, 10:50 AM
England currently in the middle of yet another collapse. Four wickets down this morning for 22 runs, and now in danger of failing to break 300 when they must have had their sights set on 450 this morning.

By the way let's put to bed the nonsense that Archer is an all-rounder. He's a tail-ender in for his bowling.

marinello59
25-07-2020, 11:22 AM
And up steps Broad with the bat. :greengrin

Tomsk
25-07-2020, 11:35 AM
And up steps Broad with the bat. :greengrin

That 450's back on the menu, boys!

More to the point, the ball's seaming extravagantly. Anderson, Archer and Broad will be licking their lips.

heretoday
25-07-2020, 03:15 PM
The W Indies bowled very naively today. Slinging down short stuff to Broad in that mood cost them vital runs in a game where runs will be precious.

Tomsk
25-07-2020, 05:06 PM
End of play. They're off early for bad light. Apparently, it's not that bad but they came off yesterday at a certain reading so they have to come off every day following when it reaches that reading. Cricket really is good at shooting itself in the foot.

Anyway, the game has moved on a lot today with 12 wickets falling. The ball is jagging about. If the teams can get enough playing time then a result seems certain. England in a very strong position to win.

heretoday
26-07-2020, 11:46 AM
Superb by Broad. God knows why they left him out of the first test.

Mibbes Aye
26-07-2020, 12:41 PM
Superb by Broad. God knows why they left him out of the first test.

I think I speculated earlier that Broad was maybe starting to be eased aside in anticipation of a refreshed pace attack for the next Ashes.

i am willing to consider it might have been astute man management now, designed to provoke a reaction, and England certainly got that.

He has been a great bowler for them and occasionally can throw the bat around yet I have always found him difficult as a player to warm to.

lord bunberry
27-07-2020, 04:06 AM
I think I speculated earlier that Broad was maybe starting to be eased aside in anticipation of a refreshed pace attack for the next Ashes.

i am willing to consider it might have been astute man management now, designed to provoke a reaction, and England certainly got that.

He has been a great bowler for them and occasionally can throw the bat around yet I have always found him difficult as a player to warm to.
That’s your Aussie leanings coming to the fore :greengrin

heretoday
27-07-2020, 12:38 PM
Sad to see how weak W Indies have become.

Mibbes Aye
27-07-2020, 02:30 PM
That’s your Aussie leanings coming to the fore :greengrin

Mibbes Aye 0, c and b Lord Bunberry :greengrin

lord bunberry
28-07-2020, 09:29 AM
Mibbes Aye 0, c and b Lord Bunberry :greengrin
:top marks

JeMeSouviens
28-07-2020, 10:53 AM
The marmite-esque* Broad gets his 500th test wicket. Windies 3 down and praying for rain.

* does vegemite have the same love/hate thing?

DaveF
28-07-2020, 11:15 AM
Broad is a fantastic cricketer but is forever tainted by his non walk against the Aussies.

To this day I wonder how / why Aleem Dar never gave him out.

JeMeSouviens
28-07-2020, 11:30 AM
Windies unravelling now - 79/5. They need that rain and quickly!

JeMeSouviens
28-07-2020, 11:51 AM
... and the rain arrives - early lunch though, so Windies need to keep up the rain dances.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-07-2020, 02:03 PM
Facile victory for England to take the series. 10 wickets in the match for Broad.

JeMeSouviens
28-07-2020, 02:39 PM
Facile victory for England to take the series. 10 wickets in the match for Broad.

Just in time though, it's been raining since they got the last man out.

Tomsk
28-07-2020, 02:57 PM
Broad is a fantastic cricketer but is forever tainted by his non walk against the Aussies.

To this day I wonder how / why Aleem Dar never gave him out.

Because he thought Broad missed it and the ball deflected off the keeper's gloves to slip. He got the first bit wrong - Broad did edge it but not straight to slip as is often assumed. In fact the big deviation is not from Broad's bat but from the keeper's gloves.

Hardly anyone walks these days. Was Broad doing anything different from the players who edge to third slip and stands waiting for the umpire's finger? He probably expected to be given out and thought "Wow! That's a wee Brucie. Take that".

DaveF
28-07-2020, 03:14 PM
Because he thought Broad missed it and the ball deflected off the keeper's gloves to slip. He got the first bit wrong - Broad did edge it but not straight to slip as is often assumed. In fact the big deviation is not from Broad's bat but from the keeper's gloves.

Hardly anyone walks these days. Was Broad doing anything different from the players who edge to third slip and stands waiting for the umpire's finger? He probably expected to be given out and thought "Wow! That's a wee Brucie. Take that".

Yes I get all that. But Dar is an elite umpire, it was spin bowling and a huge nick.

Very few people walk but Broad just brought the all round cheating (as that's what it is) into the limelight.

I'm not bothered either way. Pro's cheat in all sports and if it was today it would have been interesting to see if he would have walked or waited for DRS to send him packing.

Mibbes Aye
28-07-2020, 05:39 PM
Sad to see how weak W Indies have become.

It is funny because I saw a fair bit of them on their last tour in England and had high hopes that the younger players they were bleeding in could raise them up a level.

I think a particular disappointment is the drop in form of Shai Hope. Last tour he scored memorable centuries in both innings at Headingley. He hasn’t made much impact on this tour.

On the plus side they do have some depth in bowling, albeit carrying some injuries just now, and Holder is relatively young to be captain and rated as one of the best all-rounders in the world. At bat, I think Hetmyer has natural talent but similarly to Dowrich he needs to be able to play Test cricket, not TV cricket.

heretoday
28-07-2020, 06:18 PM
I'd expect the Pakistan tests to be a bit tougher. There's some experienced guys in their squad plus a teenage pace sensation Naseem Shah.

Mibbes Aye
28-07-2020, 07:31 PM
I'd expect the Pakistan tests to be a bit tougher. There's some experienced guys in their squad plus a teenage pace sensation Naseem Shah.

Shah is certainly quite the the young talent.

I love Pakistan, they can be be brilliant or an absolute shambles and usually no middle ground. Just like watching Hibs.

heretoday
05-08-2020, 01:50 PM
Tougher test as expected against experienced batsmen. Mind you the pacemen didn't bowl too well earlier.

lord bunberry
05-08-2020, 07:20 PM
Tougher test as expected against experienced batsmen. Mind you the pacemen didn't bowl too well earlier.
England were all over the place once the new ball had worn off. There was a lot of bounce of the pitch that made lbw unlikely and Pakistan took full advantage.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-08-2020, 10:18 AM
Poor batting performance from the guys at the top of the England batting order yesterday evening.

lord bunberry
07-08-2020, 08:20 PM
Great bowling performance from England today after a pitiful batting performance. England looked happy to stick around and block rather than take the game to Pakistan. All credit to Pakistan who bowled beautifully in the morning. Watching Pakistan is a bit like watching hibs, sometimes sublime, and sometimes dreadful. I still think Pakistan will win it though, they have real pace and quality spin.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-08-2020, 08:23 PM
A fine victory for England inside 4 days today, enthralling stuff.

Mibbes Aye
23-08-2020, 10:27 PM
I have been neglecting this thread sadly, and this match has plenty going on.

Hard to see how England don’t win this Test and the series.

A huge batting effort from Zak Crawley that signals his ability, though also sets himself a high bar! Buttler showing he can bat for a lengthy period, which he needed because Foakes is very much pressing him for the gloves. And Jimmy Anderson narrowing in on 600 wickets.

I don’t think Pakistan have actually been that bad, but the pitch was relatively friendly for the first innings and the weather meant Anderson was always likely to get something.

lord bunberry
25-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Finally we’re going to get some play today. Draw looks long odds on, but it would be nice for Anderson to take 600 wickets.

JeMeSouviens
25-08-2020, 03:39 PM
Finally we’re going to get some play today. Draw looks long odds on, but it would be nice for Anderson to take 600 wickets.

... and there it is, #600.

Some going! :not worth

lord bunberry
25-08-2020, 05:00 PM
... and there it is, #600.

Some going! :not worth
Fantastic achievement.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-08-2020, 06:39 PM
Fantastic achievement.

Outstanding effort.

Mibbes Aye
20-12-2020, 01:05 PM
I have neglected this thread, what with work, impending Christmas and various other things but what a game between Australia and India in the first Test in Adelaide!

I am sure most of us would have expected it to go the fourth day, maybe the fifth, but it was not to be.

India’s first innings was below par - a funny phrase because it is positive in golf and negative in cricket.

Australia’s response wasn’t great. They kept themselves in touching distance through the efforts of Marcus Lebuschagne, but especially the skip Tim Paine.

India’s second innings was an unmitigated disaster. 36 all out and no one getting into double figures. That left Australia with a low target to seal the game.

The Australian batting order was somewhat different than would have been planned but the bowling unit was the top team - Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood and Lyon - and they were ruthless, Pat Cummins the star for me.

On to Melbourne for the Boxing Day Test and India are likely to be three first-picks down, including the majestic Kohli. It will be tough going for them but they still have a lot of quality in their squad.

Calvin
14-01-2021, 02:13 AM
It was nice of Brisbane to have a 72 hour lockdown so I could watch the third test in pretty much its entirety. Some effort by the Indians to hold on for the draw. I also really enjoyed the Adelaide test - I was over in Perth for Christmas so was fun to watch India get skittled for 36 with my extended Aussie family.

I probably wasn't into test cricket that much before I moved here (aside from a moderate interest in the Ashes) but I've got tickets for day 1 of the fourth test tomorrow and I can't wait.

Lots of nice subplots going into this match, especially after Paine and Smith's antics; India threatening not to play the match at all, Australia needing to win to take the trophy, the fact that India never win at the Gabba, and a fair chunk of rain forecast.

marinello59
17-01-2021, 10:51 AM
Three early wickets for Sri Lanka have suddenly made the Test against England interesting. England only need 53 more runs but they are looking pretty nervy. They couldn’t mess this one up could they?:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-01-2021, 10:58 PM
First time since the 50's England have won 4 consecutive tests away from home, some effort considering what's going on just now. Dan Lawrence looking a natural for the test match environment.

JeMeSouviens
19-01-2021, 09:17 AM
Incredible performance from India to chase 325 at the Gabbatoir for a series win with several of their star names missing including their talisman, Virat Kohli. Great stuff! Hoping to catch some highlights later. :top marks

hibeg
19-01-2021, 07:06 PM
Incredible performance from India to chase 325 at the Gabbatoir for a series win with several of their star names missing including their talisman, Virat Kohli. Great stuff! Hoping to catch some highlights later. :top marks

Me too. I read about it this afternoon. Went to tape the highlights and it’s on friggin BT ::rolleyes:

lord bunberry
25-01-2021, 07:57 AM
Set up for a thrilling end to the Sri Lanka v England match. England need 164 to win.

JeMeSouviens
25-01-2021, 12:30 PM
Set up for a thrilling end to the Sri Lanka v England match. England need 164 to win.

England fairly comfortable in the end. Sri Lanka rather threw both tests away. Now onto a much bigger challenge in India!

Tobias Funke
30-01-2021, 11:55 AM
Indias “goodwill gesture” to Nathan Lyon in his 100th test at the Gabba might be the greatest piece of sports related trolling in history.

Let’s be honest, it’s the sort of thing you’d hand over in the dressing room post match. To make him reluctantly walk over to collect the signed jersey, his face tripping him after a humiliating home series defeat, was a mastery in sh*tehouse behaviour.

One of the many dislikable Aussies to play for them in recent years. Get it up him.

HH81
06-02-2021, 09:52 AM
Good to see the latest test is on channel 4.

Have they got rights to away tests going forward or a one off?

JeMeSouviens
06-02-2021, 08:07 PM
Good to see the latest test is on channel 4.

Have they got rights to away tests going forward or a one off?

I think it’s just this series.

lord bunberry
07-02-2021, 10:09 AM
I think it’s just this series.
It’s weird that this game doesn’t come up on my TV guide, I missed the 1st day because I couldn’t find it anywhere.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-02-2021, 11:22 PM
Just watched the highlights of the first couple of days play, what a superstar Root is.

HH81
13-02-2021, 09:42 AM
Some very questionable decisions today in this test match.

Stumped very close. I think out.

Review where they did not watch whole incident and then England lost review. It was out!

Shocking.

Zazu62
13-02-2021, 11:55 AM
Some very questionable decisions today in this test match.

Stumped very close. I think out.

Review where they did not watch whole incident and then England lost review. It was out!

Shocking.

Why drop Dom Bess for Mo Ali?

HH81
13-02-2021, 12:48 PM
Why drop Dom Bess for Mo Ali?

Yes bit of an odd one. Mo's wicket was class though. Great ball.

I can't wait to get back to Headlingley and watch some cricket.

Lancs Harp
13-02-2021, 09:19 PM
Yes bit of an odd one. Mo's wicket was class though. Great ball.

I can't wait to get back to Headlingley and watch some cricket.

England are employing some sort of Premier league style rotation policy. Can understand in some ways but agree a bit risky playing that against India especially on the road.

lord bunberry
13-02-2021, 09:33 PM
Has anyone heard from mibbys aye? He’s normally a regular contributor to these threads. Hopefully everything is alright with you mate.

HH81
14-02-2021, 05:49 AM
England 4 down for 49.

Pope and Stokes in. 100 each needed.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-02-2021, 11:48 PM
Dan Lawrence looking a natural for the test match environment.

Not so much recently.

Lancs Harp
15-02-2021, 08:37 AM
Curious social distancing and mask etiquette in Chennai. Limit the numbers but let people sit where they want or stick them all in the same area. Mask wearing is voluntary by the look of it with virtually no one bothering.

Lancs Harp
15-02-2021, 08:50 AM
Great century from Ashwin

JeMeSouviens
15-02-2021, 10:41 AM
Great century from Ashwin

He's made all the greeting about the pitch look a bit silly. :wink: I wonder if the Indian media is full of whingeing every time they play on a green wicket in England with the ball seaming about all over the place?

Lancs Harp
15-02-2021, 11:57 AM

He's made all the greeting about the pitch look a bit silly. :wink: I wonder if the Indian media is full of whingeing every time they play on a green wicket in England with the ball seaming about all over the place?

Almost certainly, the Indian press can be hyper critical and their expectations are very high.

Stonewall
16-02-2021, 10:06 PM
Absolutely loving being able to watch the cricket over breakfast on C4 btw.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-02-2021, 09:08 AM
England bamboozled by spin in the first innings of the 3rd Test after winning the toss and choosing to bat - 112 All Out. England selecting 3 pace men not looking too wise atm.

stantonhibby
25-02-2021, 09:51 AM
England bamboozled by spin in the first innings of the 3rd Test after winning the toss and choosing to bat - 112 All Out. England selecting 3 pace men not looking too wise atm.

India's turn to collapse this morning!

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-02-2021, 09:58 AM
India's turn to collapse this morning!

Not watched it, will watch the highlights later.

heretoday
25-02-2021, 11:33 AM
Terrible batting technique on both sides really. Don't cricketers practise playing spin any more?

Boycott and Gooch would be turning in their graves (if they were dead).

Lancs Harp
25-02-2021, 01:17 PM
I know much is made about moaning about away Test pitches but I would imagine the groundsman wont be on the Cricket India Chairmans Christmas card list. A wicket that virtually no one could bat on and a five day Test match over in 2 days. That's a lot of refunds!! Been a very interesting watch though.

weecounty hibby
25-02-2021, 01:34 PM
Test match cricket is about a test of skills and concentration for 5 days. This has been 2 ODIs.

Tobias Funke
25-02-2021, 04:50 PM
It’s crazy that India only had to score 194 runs to win a test match. They can go on about the pitch as much as they like, England have been awful.

If this was Bangladesh or Sri Lanka playing so poorly you’d have people calling for them to be demoted from the elite test level.

Lancs Harp
26-03-2021, 10:57 PM
T20 and 50 over series have been amazing. Totally top level the best two teams in the world in these formats knocking spots off each other. Great cricket.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-03-2021, 11:24 PM
T20 and 50 over series have been amazing. Totally top level the best two teams in the world in these formats knocking spots off each other. Great cricket.

Just watched the 1hr highlights show of the 2nd odi, unbelievable batting from both sides. Fantastic effort from England to chase down 336 with 6.5 overs to spare.

lord bunberry
27-03-2021, 10:07 AM
Just watched the 1hr highlights show of the 2nd odi, unbelievable batting from both sides. Fantastic effort from England to chase down 336 with 6.5 overs to spare.
It was ridiculous, Stokes went from 50 to 99 in 11 balls.

marinello59
27-03-2021, 10:26 AM
It was ridiculous, Stokes went from 50 to 99 in 11 balls.

He was absolutely superb, brilliant to watch.

marinello59
28-03-2021, 12:23 PM
England chasing another decent target today. I was just about to say Jason Roy looked like he might do well today......out in final ball of first over. My fault. :greengrin

Lancs Harp
28-03-2021, 07:28 PM
What a series that was, Cricket in its short form at its best, both the 50 over game and the T20s. Well done India well done England brought me tons of entertainment in these challenging times.

DaveF
28-03-2021, 09:03 PM
What a series that was, Cricket in its short form at its best, both the 50 over game and the T20s. Well done India well done England brought me tons of entertainment in these challenging times.

Agree, and from a hilarity point of view, the tests were good to watch as wickets fell every other minute.

Stonewall
10-06-2021, 10:08 PM
Not quite test match but siþing on the beach watching Ally McCoist play for kilmacolm ve the ship in. Couple of beers. Could get used to this.

i’ve had The privilege of playing against the Ship Inn on the beech a few times, mostly for the Fat Beardie *******s. Absolutely superb day out played after a massive lunch accompanied by as much wine and beer as you could want. Never quite made the original line up where selection was done by weight and facial hair and the batting order decided by a weigh in before the match.

They weren’t the most healthy bunch of “athletes” ever seen, but as time took it’s toll over the years I got the odd game as a late replacement. They all loved the good life and cricket.

Would be great to get a team of Hibees together to play the Ship Inn.

Calmbegbie
12-06-2021, 02:07 PM
Intriguing innings for England coming up. New Zealand have a first innings lead of 85 runs which will be tricky for England. Need to bat well

marinello59
12-06-2021, 02:59 PM
Intriguing innings for England coming up. New Zealand have a first innings lead of 85 runs which will be tricky for England. Need to bat well

It hasn’t started well.

marinello59
12-06-2021, 04:38 PM
England are going to be lucky to last the day.

Calmbegbie
12-06-2021, 08:42 PM
It hasn’t started well.

The weakness of their batting exposed although it’s not only about that, I hope this serves to again reinforce just how good this NZ side is. Their recent record speaks for itself and they could well end up test cricket champions shortly

weecounty hibby
14-06-2021, 10:32 AM
That's what happens when you twat about chopping and changing your best team. NZ are an excellent team, some very good players who actually together make a better team. England have some good players surrounded by average and when the team gets changed they will always struggle. The ashes will be a tough watch. Can't see many of the games going to 5 days to be honest

Mibbes Aye
06-01-2022, 10:35 PM
In amongst the Ashes, there has been some seriously good Test cricket elsewhere.

Bangladesh pulled off an outstanding victory against NZ but I really didn't see any of it.

I have, however, been trying to keep an eye out for SA-India, 2nd Test. It's been a beauty.

Four days of relatively low scoring. Less than a thousand runs for the four innings, with more than 240 of those runs coming in the fourth innings, made for a gripping fight until the hosts finally pulled clearly away for the victory.

Somewhat surpisingly, it is the first time the Proteas have beaten India at the Wanderers and it sets up a juicy series decider in Capetown from Tuesday.