PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Shankland

Anthony Soprano
30-09-2019, 12:01 PM
The boys flying, 10 in 10 this season, 8 in 5 in the league.
Wanted Hibs to try sign him when he was at Ayr, surprised he's ended up at Dundee Utd tbh would of thought a bigger prem team would of been in for him.

Ozyhibby
30-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Papers reporting this morning he is about to get called up for Scotland and Celtic & Sevco are interested in signing him. Wonder if they know all about his off field problems everyone on here seems to know about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90+2
30-09-2019, 12:15 PM
Always going to be the one that got away and everyone regretted not signing.

Halmyre Hibee
30-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Don’t think he would fit in to our current one up front tactics.
Seems to score goals at Championship level though so time will tell if he gets a move or promotion with Dundee Utd to Premiership.

DJ HIBBY
30-09-2019, 12:18 PM
In our current team he would struggle massively, we just don’t create chances for the forwards. One of the toughest shifts in football playing as striker for hibs

HibbyAndy
It's only the Championship , Who is to say he could cut it in the SPL ? That seemed to be the response on here regarding Jason Cummings ! Had a knack of scoring lower league goals

For the record i'd take him in a heartbeat

Captain Trips
Who did Celtic buy from St Mirren that is slowly disappearing?

Coco Bryce
30-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Papers reporting this morning he is about to get called up for Scotland and Celtic & Sevco are interested in signing him. Wonder if they know all about his off field problems everyone on here seems to know about.

It was these issues that got him kicked out of Aberdeen.

Liked the junk food and was unfit.

500miles
30-09-2019, 12:22 PM
He's on an absolute fortune at United by non OF standards. Sunderland weren't willing to pay more than united, put it that way.

CRAZYHIBBY
30-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Im hearing celtic are looking at him to replace griffiths whos time is drawing near

DJ HIBBY
30-09-2019, 12:24 PM
In our current team he would struggle massively, we just don’t create chances for the forwards. One of the toughest shifts in football playing as striker for hibs

DJ HIBBY
30-09-2019, 12:25 PM
Who did Celtic buy from St Mirren that is slowly disappearing?

Lewis Morgan

Here’s Lucy!
30-09-2019, 12:27 PM
Don’t think he would fit in to our current one up front tactics.
Seems to score goals at Championship level though so time will tell if he gets a move or promotion with Dundee Utd to Premiership.

Well, we could always change the ‘one up front tactics’ to accomodate him.

Dontcha think?

Haymaker
30-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Im hearing celtic are looking at him to replace griffiths whos time is drawing near

:hyper

SteveHFC
30-09-2019, 01:30 PM
:hyper

Is he coming back :hyper

calumhibee1
30-09-2019, 01:44 PM
13 goals in 7 games. Deary dear.

Hermit Crab
30-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Celtic are the wrong side of the political divide for Shankland.

The 90+2
30-09-2019, 02:38 PM
Celtic are the wrong side of the political divide for Shankland.

So is that boy they just signed from Killie.

lyonhibs
30-09-2019, 03:19 PM
Shankland will attain this mythical .net status of "the one that got away, all that was needed was a few shekels and a ball of bags to Ayr but Petrie shat the bed" in due course.

The 90+2
30-09-2019, 03:20 PM
Shankland will attain this mythical .net status of "the one that got away, all that was needed was a few shekels and a ball of bags to Ayr but Petrie shat the bed" in due course.

We wouldn’t have had to do give Ayr anything. He was out of contract.

Speedway
30-09-2019, 03:21 PM
I thought it was his ‘leanings’ and tattoos that caused clubs to steer clear?

bigwheel
30-09-2019, 03:30 PM

In an industry that literally doesn’t care about anything..I can’t imagine even if he was grand master of the local KKK that any team wouldn’t sign him if they felt he would help them win

Anthony Soprano
30-09-2019, 03:33 PM

First I've heard of that, we were linked with him back in January along with the tims and huns, then it all went quiet and he ended up signing for Utd on a free. Shame reckon him and big doidgey could do a job up top together.

Ozyhibby
30-09-2019, 03:55 PM
In an industry that literally doesn’t care about anything..I can’t imagine even if he was grand master of the local KKK that any team wouldn’t sign him if they felt he would help them win

100% correct.

WeeRussell
30-09-2019, 04:01 PM

Could you elaborate? Never heard any stories on either of these (not saying there isn't any truth, genuinely curious).

Ozyhibby
30-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Could you elaborate? Never heard any stories on either of these (not saying there isn't any truth, genuinely curious).

Maybe it’s just made up nonsense?

lyonhibs
30-09-2019, 04:31 PM
We wouldn’t have had to do give Ayr anything. He was out of contract.

Even more so then :greengrin

Del Boy
30-09-2019, 04:44 PM
Maybe it’s just made up nonsense?

Apart from being a Rangers fan as a boy the rest is made up nonsense. At Aberdeen he wasn’t in as good shape as he is now. When he had to drop down a few levels to Ayr in league one he got himself in shape and also became a personal trainer. That extra fitness and strength training has made a difference and he’s now as good as any striker outside the old firm IMO.

Here’s Lucy!
30-09-2019, 05:08 PM
So is that boy they just signed from Killie.

Mind and not offend anyone now. :cb

:wink:

MWHIBBIES
30-09-2019, 05:11 PM
I definitely think we should've gone for him but no use crying about it now.

bigwheel
30-09-2019, 05:15 PM
I definitely think we should've gone for him but no use crying about it now.

It’s strange that so few clubs went for
Him , including us ...he is certainly showing he knows the way to goal. Those that know his play say he is a pure poacher ...doesn’t even try to chase back - but know where the goal is ..sounds like one of those things go that we are missing ..

The 90+2
30-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Mind and not offend anyone now. :cb

:wink:

:greengrin

Halmyre Hibee
30-09-2019, 09:19 PM
Well, we could always change the ‘one up front tactics’ to accomodate him.

Dontcha think?

Hecky does not currently appear to prefer playing more than one forward at the moment Kamberi / Shaw on bench on Saturday.
Despite a creditable draw v Celtic I personally prefer 2 upfront as scoring goals normally win games.

Here’s Lucy!
30-09-2019, 09:26 PM
Hecky does not currently appear to prefer playing more than one forward at the moment Kamberi / Shaw on bench on Saturday.
Despite a creditable draw v Celtic I personally prefer 2 upfront as scoring goals normally win games.

I agree with you about this ‘Hecky’ bloke. I think he’s an erse of a manager.

I also agree about going with two forwards.

:aok:

Hibee Mac
30-09-2019, 10:17 PM
People keep saying they're "surprised no other clubs went for him". I'm sure plenty clubs did but he's on silly money at Utd who are taking a big gamble hoping he drags them up.

Looks to be a gamble that could pay of big time for Utd so fair play, however, it doesn't mean other clubs weren't there or there abouts.

If rumours are correct then we'd have likely had to make him the best payed player at our club to have brought him here, that would have been madness.

Hibeesmad
01-10-2019, 04:21 AM
The problem is even if we signed him- because we are hardly creating any chances or scoring goals he would be lucky to have more than 3 goals to his name at this stage of the season if he had joined us, we would all be saying he isn't good enough.

To this day I still think we should have kept Simon Murray, not saying he's better than Shankland but he put in a good shift and scored goals, I think he could have became a million pound player.

MWHIBBIES
01-10-2019, 05:04 AM

2 up front doesn't score more goals

Peevemor
01-10-2019, 05:09 AM

We can hardly score less though.

The 90+2
01-10-2019, 10:05 AM
Called up for Scotland. Let’s hope he does great.

calumhibee1
01-10-2019, 10:08 AM

Even though he’s been on fire I’m surprised at that. Be interesting to see if he gets on.

The 90+2
01-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Even though he’s been on fire I’m surprised at that. Be interesting to see if he gets on.

McGinn was man of the match against Denmark while at us in the league below. I don’t think he will play much but he will benefit from the experience.

Diclonius
01-10-2019, 10:15 AM

Ken what, fair enough. We need a goalscorer and he scores goals.

calumhibee1
01-10-2019, 10:15 AM
McGinn was man of the match against Denmark while at us in the league below. I don’t think he will play much but he will benefit from the experience.

It’s certainly deserved. Our strikers are minging, a guy on that kind of form can’t be any worse. Think I’ve just became that accustomed to us picking the same old ***** that I didn’t expect something a bit different.

The 90+2
01-10-2019, 10:16 AM
Aye, I agree guys 👍 least it’s something different from playing Matt Phillips.

calumhibee1
01-10-2019, 10:17 AM

:agree:

Dreadful player.

brog
01-10-2019, 10:23 AM
People keep saying they're "surprised no other clubs went for him". I'm sure plenty clubs did but he's on silly money at Utd who are taking a big gamble hoping he drags them up.

Looks to be a gamble that could pay of big time for Utd so fair play, however, it doesn't mean other clubs weren't there or there abouts.

If rumours are correct then we'd have likely had to make him the best payed player at our club to have brought him here, that would have been madness.

The silly money at Arabs is no more than we, Hawrts & Dons are paying certain players & it's pennies by OF standards. It was really all about his reputation re lack of fitness & his lack of Premiership experience that allowed Dun Utd to snap him up. We'll see how it goes.

The 90+2
01-10-2019, 10:29 AM
The silly money at Arabs is no more than we, Hawrts & Dons are paying certain players & it's pennies by OF standards. It was really all about his reputation re lack of fitness & his lack of Premiership experience that allowed Dun Utd to snap him up. We'll see how it goes.

He has his own PT business he’s built up. How can he lack fitness?

Halmyre Hibee
01-10-2019, 10:32 AM

It improves the chance of scoring more goals if the supply is also there. We could of course revert to Levein’s infamous Scotland line up and play no forwards. I prefer my football to be of an attacking variety I go to games to see goals. Unfortunately most of them have been against us. Best form of defence is attack and we need to find a system and players to defend higher up the park and feed our forward thinking players whoever they are.

The 90+2
01-10-2019, 10:43 AM

It helps the striker when the plan is to launch it up the pitch to them with nobody else near them for 30 yards.

People have blamed the midfield for not getting on the end of Doidges headers or not getting up the park quick enough when the way we play gives no support to the forward. Maybe it worked a few times when we had Sproule off Gaz or Killen but one up top punting it to them very rarely works with no pace coming from midfield.

Brightside
01-10-2019, 11:07 AM

Yep - no Billy Gilmour but we are putting in a scottish championship player. Maybe says how poor the forwards are right now in scotland.

Diclonius
01-10-2019, 11:11 AM

When I've seen him he's looked decent.

The 90+2
01-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Yep - no Billy Gilmour but we are putting in a scottish championship player. Maybe says how poor the forwards are right now in scotland.

Gilmour is developing great and will be in the u21s.

Sean1875
01-10-2019, 11:20 AM
#AnyoneButMcBurnie

WeeRussell
01-10-2019, 11:26 AM

Isn't Gilmour a midfielder playing for an under 23 side?! Scotland has been playing English championship and canadian league players for the last few years - can't see what's wrong with Scotland's most prolific goalscorer getting called-up to the squad for these games.

JeMeSouviens
01-10-2019, 11:36 AM

Even if he doesn't work out at United, it weakens Ayr (albeit they've started well without him). The classic Celgers gambit. :rolleyes:

Brightside
01-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Gilmour is developing great and will be in the u21s.

Word for word what Clarke said. I would have had him in the San marino game for sure. If we cant play our most exciting young players in that there is really no point having the game.

The 90+2
01-10-2019, 11:48 AM
Word for word what Clarke said. I would have had him in the San marino game for sure. If we cant play our most exciting young players in that there is really no point having the game.

I’m not sure who the 21s have but haven’t they picked up a couple of really good wins and in with a chance of qualifying? Maybe that’s the reason behind him playing at that level in a far more competitive match than to take him to Russia and not play then play in a team void of confidence in a nothing game in front of an empty Hampden? I see your point too mind you.

J-C
01-10-2019, 11:58 AM
It improves the chance of scoring more goals if the supply is also there. We could of course revert to Levein’s infamous Scotland line up and play no forwards. I prefer my football to be of an attacking variety I go to games to see goals. Unfortunately most of them have been against us. Best form of defence is attack and we need to find a system and players to defend higher up the park and feed our forward thinking players whoever they are.

Only if the 2 up top get enough supply. Our problem us we have creative players except Allan, our wide players are poor, Mallan is played too deep and Vela/Hallberg sit just in front of the back 4. Add on to all that the lack of any real pace in the team.

KeithTheHibby
01-10-2019, 12:42 PM

He also had a poor 6 months from January - he was injured at the start of that period mind you.
Coupled with the fact that Ayr went into freefall it is hardly surprising he dropped off the radar and only DU were willing to sign him.

Anyway good luck to the lad and well done on the Scotland call up. Fair play to Steve Clarke for recognising his start to the season.

Mantis Toboggan
01-10-2019, 12:55 PM
As others have said got to be worth a shot ahead of Philips. Still think mcburnie can improve for us and fill the nuisance role up front but doesnt look like scoring much at this level.

WeeRussell
01-10-2019, 01:19 PM
He also had a poor 6 months from January - he was injured at the start of that period mind you.
Coupled with the fact that Ayr went into freefall it is hardly surprising he dropped off the radar and only DU were willing to sign him.

Anyway good luck to the lad and well done on the Scotland call up. Fair play to Steve Clarke for recognising his start to the season.

It would be absolutely staggering if only Dundee United were willing to sign him.

green day
01-10-2019, 01:26 PM
It would be absolutely staggering if only Dundee United were willing to sign him.

I think he means "only Dundee Utd were willing to take a chance on a guy who has only scored at lower levels and was looking for (what appears to be) a large salary".

I cant imagine that other clubs, including ours, didnt have a look.

The 90+2
01-10-2019, 01:26 PM
I think he means "only Dundee Utd were willing to take a chance on a guy who has only scored at lower levels and was looking for (what appears to be) a large salary".

I cant imagine that other clubs, including ours, didnt have a look.

So we went for another guy who had only scored at lower levels and actually paid a transfer fee for then? Seems a bit calamitous.

calumhibee1
01-10-2019, 01:31 PM
So we went for another guy who had only scored at lower levels and actually paid a transfer fee for then? Seems a bit calamitous.

I actually like a Doidge but I’d agree with the general point. I’d be very surprised if we turned our nose up because he has only done it in the league below us. We’re not talking a guy with a good recent record, we’re talking an exceptional recent record.

Peevemor
01-10-2019, 01:33 PM

Or maybe,

1. There's something about him that put Hibs off (attitude, fitness or whatever)
2. Hibs weren't prepared to match what Utd are paying him
3. He didn't want to come to Hibs
4. Hibs think Doidge will be better.

There is any number of reasons that aren't calamitous in the slightest.

AndyM_1875
01-10-2019, 01:33 PM

Both ourselves and the Gorgie Flumps looked at Shankland and elected to do nothing.

Looks like a big mistake in hindsight.

Here’s Lucy!
01-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Was it not reported that he wanted to continue his studies as well as play football? Perhaps Dundee United were willing to let him pursue this whereas ourselves, and Hearts, were not?

The 90+2
01-10-2019, 01:37 PM
Or maybe,

1. There's something about him that put Hibs off (attitude, fitness or whatever)
2. Hibs weren't prepared to match what Utd are paying him
3. He didn't want to come to Hibs
4. Hibs think Doidge will be better.

There is any number of reasons that aren't calamitous in the slightest.

1) guesswork and allegations
2) Why wouldn’t we? We paid an actual fee for Doidge and good money to others like Newell?
3) aye of course, he would rather be strutting about in the championship
4) the calamitous part.

The 90+2
01-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Was it not reported that he wanted to continue his studies as well as play football? Perhaps Dundee United were willing to let him pursue this whereas ourselves, and Hearts, were not?

He’s finished his studies and is full time with Dundee Utd.

That was the reason he signed another year with Ayr though and bumped hearts.

The 90+2
01-10-2019, 01:39 PM
I actually like a Doidge but I’d agree with the general point. I’d be very surprised if we turned our nose up because he has only done it in the league below us. We’re not talking a guy with a good recent record, we’re talking an exceptional recent record.

Yep. He was also the exceptional talent in a QP team that had Robertson in it at the time. It didn’t work out at Aberdeen which he’s admitted himself and worked on everything to give him the best chance in his career.

Since452
01-10-2019, 02:33 PM
If i were a Dundee United fan I'd be soiling myself at the thought of him going away and getting injured. Long gone are the days I've been buzzing about a Hibs player getting a call up. Usually filled with anxiety about it.

ancient hibee
01-10-2019, 04:05 PM
Hopefully there might be someone in the Scottish line up who can get the ball to him because he’ll certainly get it in the net.He has the true striker’s knack of scoring with mi****s ,
poor headers and any part of his anatomy.

WeeRussell
01-10-2019, 04:08 PM
If i were a Dundee United fan I'd be soiling myself at the thought of him going away and getting injured. Long gone are the days I've been buzzing about a Hibs player getting a call up. Usually filled with anxiety about it.

I don't think you'll have to get too anxious anytime soon :greengrin

Here’s Lucy!
01-10-2019, 04:46 PM
He’s finished his studies and is full time with Dundee Utd.

That was the reason he signed another year with Ayr though and bumped hearts.

Thanks for that! I knew I was on the right lines. :wink:

Here’s Lucy!
01-10-2019, 04:48 PM
I don't think you'll have to get too anxious anytime soon :greengrin

:faf::faf: How true!

Ozyhibby
01-10-2019, 04:55 PM
Both ourselves and the Gorgie Flumps looked at Shankland and elected to do nothing.

Looks like a big mistake in hindsight.

Not in hindsight. Looked a mistake at the time as well. There were threads on here in both of the last two summer transfer windows with multiple posters saying we should sign this guy.
It looked an error at the time to ignore him and it’s looking a lot worse now.

Hibee Mac
01-10-2019, 05:06 PM

I see your point but it would have meant paying him what we pay our top payed players (if rumours are to be believed).

Would be silly to have offered that to an untested lower league player, so I still think it's unrealistic to say the teams in our league i.e us, Hearts and Aberdeen didn't think about bringing him here.

J-C
01-10-2019, 06:02 PM
What is it with people changing username every 2 months or so, pick a name and stick to it.:confused:

green day
01-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Not in hindsight. Looked a mistake at the time as well. There were threads on here in both of the last two summer transfer windows with multiple posters saying we should sign this guy.

#muchvauntedrecruitmentteam

marinello59
01-10-2019, 07:05 PM

So has every team in the top league made a mistake not signing him? Why do you think none did?

Speedy
01-10-2019, 11:27 PM
Looking at that Scotland squad, I'd probably start him. Burke is hopeless and I've not seen anything from Mcburnie to get me excited so far.

Obviously Griffiths & Naismith 'not fit' but I'd have Fletcher and McNulty in the squad.

The 90+2
01-10-2019, 11:31 PM
What is it with people changing username every 2 months or so, pick a name and stick to it.:confused:

It’s not people it’s posters?

If you’ve got a list of name changes would be handy mind you.

**** the hearts.

The 90+2
01-10-2019, 11:32 PM
Looking at that Scotland squad, I'd probably start him. Burke is hopeless and I've not seen anything from Mcburnie to get me excited so far.

Obviously Griffiths & Naismith 'not fit' but I'd have Fletcher and McNulty in the squad.

Fletch has retired from the national side.

jacomo
02-10-2019, 09:53 AM

:agree:

Especially as we had money to spend following the takeover.

BILLYHIBS
02-10-2019, 10:03 AM
According to Ian McColl Shankland was very very close to joining Der Hun last January

Source DR

( So it must be true )

JeMeSouviens
02-10-2019, 10:08 AM
According to Ian McColl Shankland was very very close to joining Der Hun last January

Source DR

( So it must be true )

McCall said that live on the radio last night.

ian cruise
02-10-2019, 10:13 AM

I actually know a few PT/gym owners who aren't in great shape as they are often too busy with clients to do their own workouts. One in particularly is really badly out of shape but he's more interested in running a gym that taking classes/PT sessions but I know that's not the norm.

If Shankland is running a business alongside training with UTD he might not have time to do extra gym work? I think it's unlikely it's a fitness issues as I've never heard anyone comment on it who has watched him play, unlike Horgan for ourselves, but it isn't out with the realms of possibility.

brog
02-10-2019, 11:45 AM

I didn't say he lacked fitness now. I talked about his reputation re lack of fitness. He returned from injury last season & hardly scored after that. The Ayr message boards were full of comments about him putting weight on & looking sluggish. Personally I would have been very happy to see him at ER but there has to be some reason why none of the Big 5 Scottish teams signed an out of contract player.

gillythehibby
02-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Job Done then. We'll have Super leigh and they can have a guy who couldn't doit at Aberdeen :greengrin

JimBHibees
02-10-2019, 12:21 PM
Fletch has retired from the national side.

Pretty disappointing to hear that as he could clearly help the team up front at the moment.

Del Boy
03-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Source DR

( So it must be true )

Yet Shankland himself has said this wasn’t the case.

BILLYHIBS
03-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Yet Shankland himself has said this wasn’t the case.

Certainly a lot of mixed messages in today’s press

He’s an Arab now

weecounty hibby
04-10-2019, 08:02 PM
Anyone watch him tonight? Interested to hear thoughts on him after that match. Personally, I thought he looked no better than the guys playing up front for Alloa

eezyrider
04-10-2019, 08:13 PM
Anyone watch him tonight? Interested to hear thoughts on him after that match. Personally, I thought he looked no better than the guys playing up front for Alloa

I only watched the second half of tonight's game but he didn't play that well from what I saw. The Alloa defence seemed to have him well covered.

EZ

The 90+2
04-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Pretty disappointing to hear that as he could clearly help the team up front at the moment.

Me too. He’s been messed about the majority of his national career though and wants to prolong his football down South.

Smartie
04-10-2019, 08:15 PM

On that 90 minutes I'd agree, but I remember even SJM had the odd quiet performance against poor opposition in that league.

SChibs
04-10-2019, 09:10 PM

How many alloa players have scored as many goals as he has this season or over the last 3 years? His record speaks for itself so I'd imagine he just had an off game

weecounty hibby
04-10-2019, 09:15 PM
How many alloa players have scored as many goals as he has this season or over the last 3 years? His record speaks for itself so I'd imagine he just had an off game
I have seen him play a number of times now. Once where he score a hatrick gainst Dundee United and played really well, once against Utd again where he was hopeless and Ayr lost. Once against Patrick where he scored but didn't play well and now tonight against Alloa. I would say that on my limited viewing he is a very good player at that level but I'm not sure he would do all that well in the top division. I certainly don't think he is an international player

04Sauzee
04-10-2019, 09:21 PM

How many chances per game do alloa create?

The 90+2
04-10-2019, 09:31 PM
How many chances per game do alloa create?

Hunners the night and a few against us.