PDA

View Full Version : Where do we go from here?

One Day Soon
30-09-2019, 11:47 AM
I remain dubious that PH is the man for the job for all the reasons posted previously elsewhere. But if - if - he is to come good I wonder whether some of that may relate to the fact that the team has chopped and changed a fair bit in terms of personnel and positions played on the one hand and to the inconsistency of players on the other.

In most games we have had some good individual performances but in hardly any have we had most players turning in performances at the top of their capabilities. We got a lot closer to that on Saturday albeit still with weaknesses. I'm still unconvinced by the quality of signings that have been made, but if he can start to get better performances out of most them even at their own levels it could make a big difference in this league. If he can field a consistent team it would certainly help.

Success breeds success and perhaps the cup win and then the Celtic draw, scrappy and a good way away from where we want to be though they were, just might be the start of someting better. To be fair to PH I think any manager needs several windows to properly shape their squad so if he can do something to justify time up to and beyond January we may see a more complete picture.

The start he's made hasn't convinced me so far so hopefully that is now about to change.

matty_f
30-09-2019, 11:54 AM
I remain dubious that PH is the man for the job for all the reasons posted previously elsewhere. But if - if - he is to come good I wonder whether some of that may relate to the fact that the team has chopped and changed a fair bit in terms of personnel and positions played on the one hand and to the inconsistency of players on the other.

In most games we have had some good individual performances but in hardly any have we had most players turning in performances at the top of their capabilities. We got a lot closer to that on Saturday albeit still with weaknesses. I'm still unconvinced by the quality of signings that have been made, but if he can start to get better performances out of most them even at their own levels it could make a big difference in this league. If he can field a consistent team it would certainly help.

Success breeds success and perhaps the cup win and then the Celtic draw, scrappy and a good way away from where we want to be though they were, just might be the start of someting better. To be fair to PH I think any manager needes several windows to properly shape their squad so if he can do something to justify time up to and beyond January we may see a more complete picture.

The start he's made hasn't convinced me so far so hopefully that is now about to change.

It's a good question - we can't go from one game to the next switching from "sack him" to "he should get more time". I don't think the board have any appetite to change manager at the moment.

Personally, I don't think he's the man for the job, however I also think that the last two games represent something of a foundation to build upon.

Clean sheet against Killie, one goal to Celtc (who have been ripping teams apart this season), and a performance on Saturday that at last game some grounds for optimism.

If we build on it and go on a run of games that move us up the table then we should get behind him. The players certainly look like they're playing for him, and we seem to be getting closer to a settled team, which will also help.

The 90+2
30-09-2019, 12:02 PM
I’m for giving him the run of fixtures after the international break now to give him that chance of setting up a team to win games we should be winning. They are must win for Hecky imo. In fact unless absolutely scudded in Aberdeen on Saturday and heavy losses to Hamilton or Livi he deserves his free crack at Celtic in the Semi. It’s his team, there’s no excuses.

Greenio
30-09-2019, 12:12 PM
I'm just glad to see a lot of people coming to their senses and seeing that it was, and is, too early in the season to write off a manager, he gets until end of November for me, always has. Then, we make a call

The 90+2
30-09-2019, 12:14 PM
I'm just glad to see a lot of people coming to their senses and seeing that it was, and is, too early in the season to write off a manager, he gets until end of November for me, always has. Then, we make a call

Why the end of November out of interest?

JXM73
30-09-2019, 12:17 PM
See if we revert to pish against aberdeen

WhileTheChief..
30-09-2019, 12:27 PM
Almost past caring who the manager is.

The club will do what it wants so no point getting all angry about it.

Still think we should have made the change weeks ago.

hibsbollah
30-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Give him the run of fixtures, with a slightly grumpy, sceptical doom n gloomer face on.
Hide the pitchfork down the back of the stairs for a while.
If we hit top six by the new year and are still in the cup when the daffodills are out i'll hit full happy clapper mode and proclaim him the new Marcelo Bielsa.
If we're still near the basement by the turn of the year, its back on the ducking stool he goes.

I love a mixed metaphor.

stokesmessiah
30-09-2019, 12:35 PM

I presume so that we then have time to make a change and give a new manager a couple of weeks with the squad before the transfer window "swings" open.

Bangkok Hibby
Almost past caring who the manager is.

The club will do what it wants so no point getting all angry about it.

Still think we should have made the change weeks ago.

I've never been fully for or against him really. As you say there's nothing we can do about it, but unless we start scoring goals, top six could be out of reach before/if he's binned.

Since452
I still think he's the right guy. The players are obviously knocking their pans in for him. Thats a good enough sign for me.

The 90+2
30-09-2019, 12:41 PM
I presume so that we then have time to make a change and give a new manager a couple of weeks with the squad before the transfer window "swings" open.

While I can see the point in that our December is nothing short of horrendous. If he’s not turning it around in October I would hope someone new would be in place and almost settled to take us into that period.

Keith_M
30-09-2019, 01:12 PM
I still think he's the right guy. The players are obviously knocking their pans in for him. Thats a good enough sign for me.

Based on what?

(not a dig, I'm genuinely interested)

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Is it down to the lake I fear? ☺

ahibby
30-09-2019, 01:45 PM
I've never been fully for or against him really. As you say there's nothing we can do about it, but unless we start scoring goals, top six could be out of reach before/if he's binned.

This is still a problem u are right we have to start making good chances again. Sticking to the same eleven for the next few games might help. Games v Hamilton and Ross County completely different to Celtic but the same determination with more guile needed. Every game for the forseeable is going to be difficult.

Greenio
30-09-2019, 02:06 PM

I said after Motherwell he'd get 12 more games with my full backing. Also, as pointed out, if he does need to go, then having a caretaker in place for a month before the Jan window, gives them enough time to settle and contribute to the recruitment strategy if needs be.

However, I'm confident it wont come to that.

People just needed to calm down a bit, we're not Chelsea and we wont benefit from booting oot every new manager we get before they've even had a chance to turn things around.

The 90+2
30-09-2019, 02:09 PM
I said after Motherwell he'd get 12 more games with my full backing. Also, as pointed out, if he does need to go, then having a caretaker in place for a month before the Jan window, gives them enough time to settle and contribute to the recruitment strategy if needs be.

However, I'm confident it wont come to that.

People just needed to calm down a bit, we're not Chelsea and we wont benefit from booting oot every new manager we get before they've even had a chance to turn things around.

Cool, thanks for replying 👍 I can’t remember the last manager we ever booted out though. Hopefully things can change and we see more of us in an attacking sense after the international break.

Since452
30-09-2019, 03:18 PM
Based on what?

(not a dig, I'm genuinely interested)

Think he comes across very well and players all sing his praises. I like the fact he got us well covered for basically every position. Almost every player in the squad is interchangeable so injuries aren't going to be too much of a problem. Some of his signings are really starting to show their qualities (Doidge, James, Jackson, Hallberg) now that they're settling in and the last two games have been full of character and bottle. I know it's an unpopular opinion on here but it's how i feel. I'm not saying I'm right but it's my opinion. He'll probably be emptied by xmas and I'll look daft.

One Day Soon
30-09-2019, 04:33 PM

That's properly disturbing.

Captain Trips
30-09-2019, 05:00 PM
The thought of changing the manager again is worse than changing him if you understand what I mean. PH was put in IMO almost as good as it can get for a manager coming in here. We were on the slide and he came in and halted it but more importantly he had a good few games to evaluate the squad in meaningful matches.

If he had came in during close season there would be more tolerance but for me the fact he had time to look at team, had a full pre season to sign players and with decent backing I find our position fully of his making and quite unacceptable. Im looking to for 7pts minimum from next 3 games so he better take something from Aberdeen. If he is the man these are the results I expect as I have been very let down with many of the others.

eastmainsmsh
30-09-2019, 05:04 PM

is that you Nick lol

Keith_M
30-09-2019, 05:12 PM
Think he comes across very well and players all sing his praises. I like the fact he got us well covered for basically every position. Almost every player in the squad is interchangeable so injuries aren't going to be too much of a problem. Some of his signings are really starting to show their qualities (Doidge, James, Jackson, Hallberg) now that they're settling in and the last two games have been full of character and bottle. I know it's an unpopular opinion on here but it's how i feel. I'm not saying I'm right but it's my opinion. He'll probably be emptied by xmas and I'll look daft.

:aok:

You're entitled to your opinion.

I'd personally love nothing better than for it all to click at Hibs under Hecky, with a Euro qualification and League Cup win, and to have to come back on here next May and admit I was wrong.

We all just want what's best for our club.

H18S NX
30-09-2019, 05:12 PM
The last two games have given us a glimmer of hope,but it is not enough for me,sorry,i wanted him gone after Motherwell and i still do.

Sammy7nil
30-09-2019, 05:14 PM

Aye aye aye Aye aye aye :wink:

Sir David Gray
30-09-2019, 05:36 PM
I'm still nowhere near the point of being convinced that he's the person to take us forward. Yes the point on Saturday was just as welcome as it was surprising but it's not enough to see that we are moving forward.

We need a sustained period of improved results and performances.

I don't have particularly high hopes for Saturday but the three games afterwards represents an opportunity to get a few points racked up and hopefully put in some decent performances. If we fail to do well in those games then I think he should go after the semi final.

et_hibby
30-09-2019, 06:03 PM
Aye aye aye Aye aye aye :wink:

Many supporters would Love Plus One more up top though ..

mca
30-09-2019, 08:24 PM
jambo pal Text me after the game - your team only played half decent because they knew lenny was watching them.. back to normal against the sheep...

av still not replied... gonna wait and see what saturday brings..

Clarence
30-09-2019, 08:37 PM
jambo pal Text me after the game - your team only played half decent because they knew lenny was watching them.. back to normal against the sheep...

Hibs play on Saturday, Celtic play on Sunday. How does he know that Lenny won’t be watching Hibs against Aberdeen?

The 90+2
30-09-2019, 08:52 PM

What does that even mean though?

I_Love_Latapy
30-09-2019, 09:10 PM

(whispers quietly) I completely agree with you, for the same reasons. He feels like a quality, modern coach who is content to work within a Hibs budget. He may succeed, or he may not, but don’t believe he doesn’t care or won’t try 100%. Hope he gets a decent run as revolving door is no better.

ancient hibee
30-09-2019, 09:50 PM
Don’t see it myself.The players aren’t going to criticise him .We are second bottom of the league,have won one league game and have the worst goals differential in the league.The team is chopped and changed from match to match and has no pace.Most of the players brought in are out of their depth .I feel that the least we should expect is that the players try hard.To be praising them this far into the season for finally finding a bit of pride shows he is lacking the ability to motivate them.

Hibeesmad
01-10-2019, 04:35 AM
I actually feel a bit sorry for Hecky, I think he genuinely wants to do well and I don't doubt that he is trying his best to do so. If we can beat Aberdeen on Saturday who are in a rotten bit of form for their standards then I think that could be the start of good things to come, as the fixtures after the international break are games that we should be winning. I think the players are totally behind him based on what I saw at the Kilmarnock game and what i've read in the media. I hope we can kick on and back the man going forward but until we start dominating teams and playing attractive football like we have in recent seasons I can't see it happening from the vast majority of the support as that is what we have become used too. I think he has come to knowing his strongest starting 11 and that can only be a good thing, with Boyle being back after the break too, which will be a major boost.

I think the line up for Saturday will be-

Maxwell

James
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Hallberg
Vela

Mallan
Allan
Middleton

Doidge

We can expect a lot of set pieces and I think we will come back with the 3 points! Doidge with a brace :greengrin

scooby
01-10-2019, 05:59 AM
Two swallows don't make a summer, so I'm far from convinced.
He'll be gone by Christmas.

Hibeesmad
01-10-2019, 06:12 AM
Two swallows don't make a summer, so I'm far from convinced.
He'll be gone by Christmas.

Saturday will be an indication of whether there is something there or not. He knows he's under pressure so now is the time he will be throwing everything he has got at it. The passion shown in the last 2 games I think shows he is giving everything he has got.

number9dream
01-10-2019, 09:12 AM
The team needs to play with same intensity and aggression on show at the weekend, while our ball retention needs to improve significantly.
It will be much the same team, with Porteous probably in for Jackson after his concussion. Mallan looked a bit lost on the right and Middleton & Vela simply have to offer more but maybe that will come with a run of games.
Our record at Pittodrie is abysmal, so I'd take a point right now and another solid defensive showing to build on after the international break.

One Day Soon
01-10-2019, 09:54 AM
I expect our next four games against Aberdeen, Hamilton, Ross County and Livingston will probably result in lose, draw, draw, draw followed by the cup semi against Celtic where the amount of space Hampden affords will likely make it very hard not to leak goals.

From where we are now I think acceptable results would be a draw at Aberdeen (even with their current poor form), and then two wins from the following three matches. If we manage that haul of 7 points from a possible 12 you would have to say there was light at the end of the tunnel - though the matter of what kind of football we are playing might still be up for debate if it's ugly stuff.

If we don't manage those kind of results it would confirm in my mind the current suspicions. We would be almost a third of the way through the season by that stage and if we can't turn over most, if not all, of Ross County, Livingston and Hamilton at this point then we are unlikely to be making top six as these are all teams between us and a top six spot.

At the start of this season I would have been expecting a decent cup run (we've done that), and a serious tilt at a European place, with top 6 an absolutely basic requirement. So the aims above in terms of the forthcoming games are already a result of lowered expectations. Not meeting these therefore just isn't acceptable. On the other hand if we get those results and we start playing better football it's a different story for PH.

HFC 0-7
01-10-2019, 10:36 AM
He shouldn’t be the manager of hibs. He can’t hit the ground running and needs far too long to get anything out the team. Hibs will constantly be a turn over of players be it loans or replacing ageing players. We can’t have periods at the start of the season when we are absolutely rubbish. The difference between top 6 or not could be a point or 2. The same could be said for a European spot and not. We don’t have the luxury of having the first round of fixtures to find our feet.

jacomo
01-10-2019, 02:29 PM
He shouldn’t be the manager of hibs. He can’t hit the ground running and needs far too long to get anything out the team. Hibs will constantly be a turn over of players be it loans or replacing ageing players. We can’t have periods at the start of the season when we are absolutely rubbish. The difference between top 6 or not could be a point or 2. The same could be said for a European spot and not. We don’t have the luxury of having the first round of fixtures to find our feet.

The only potential positive is that PH has learned from his mistakes and won’t repeat them.

We have at least stopped leaking goals and the team should be praised for two battling performances, even if we could have easily lost against both Killie and Celtc.

I remain deeply unconvinced, but whether through luck or judgment PH has earned a little more time. Let’s hope our patience is rewarded.

greenlex
01-10-2019, 03:32 PM
He did hit the ground running. It then became a slow jog before upping the
pace a bit the last two games.

HFC 0-7
01-10-2019, 03:39 PM
He did hit the ground running. It then became a slow jog before upping the
pace a bit the last two games.

I don’t think we did. Think he just took someone else’s team and went with it. It’s when he has tried to put his own stamp on things with tactics and personnel that it’s all gone wrong. When I hear things after a poor start like it’s still early, plenty of time though turn around etc it sets alarm bells. When we get into Europe it’s not us securing the spot by 15 points it’s usually be a couple, the same could be said about missing out by a couple of points, so having periods of time to settle new players, to gel etc. We don’t have that time.

greenlex
01-10-2019, 03:56 PM
I don’t think we did. Think he just took someone else’s team and went with it. It’s when he has tried to put his own stamp on things with tactics and personnel that it’s all gone wrong. When I hear things after a poor start like it’s still early, plenty of time though turn around etc it sets alarm bells. When we get into Europe it’s not us securing the spot by 15 points it’s usually be a couple, the same could be said about missing out by a couple of points, so having periods of time to settle new players, to gel etc. We don’t have that time. Don’t agree. We were terrible when he took over.

angus hibby
01-10-2019, 05:19 PM
Don’t see it myself.The players aren’t going to criticise him .We are second bottom of the league,have won one league game and have the worst goals differential in the league.The team is chopped and changed from match to match and has no pace.Most of the players brought in are out of their depth .I feel that the least we should expect is that the players try hard.To be praising them this far into the season for finally finding a bit of pride shows he is lacking the ability to motivate them.

Agree the players won’t criticise him but by all accounts they celebrated with him after the penalty shoot out and the players certainly worked their socks off on Saturday. Not sure they’d be pushing themselves to the limit (which they did on Saturday) if they weren’t behind him.

Maxwell, James, Jackson, Hallberg, Doidge, Vela are beginning to show signs they’ll be good signings so not sure how you can come to the conclusion that most of his signings are out of their depth.

Hibernia&Alba
01-10-2019, 05:25 PM
Barring a miracle, I still think it's over for Hecky. The cup win and the Celtic draw have eased the pressure a tad, but I think he's just delaying the inevitable. If I'm wrong, great: swapping managers means another re-build, but I just can't see him lasting much longer.

DarlingtonHibee
01-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Barring a miracle, I still think it's over for Hecky. The cup win and the Celtic draw have eased the pressure a tad, but I think he's just delaying the inevitable. If I'm wrong, great: swapping managers means another re-build, but I just can't see him lasting much longer.

How about getting behind the manager.

We operate within a budget and won't get pep or Jurgen.

Who do you want?

Hibernia&Alba
01-10-2019, 05:57 PM

Who do you want?

If we could get the Motherwell manager, I think he could do a very good job. Strachan too, if he's interested. We will just have to wait and see how Hecky fares in the next few games.

The_Horde
01-10-2019, 06:03 PM

Who do you want?

I don't think he's ever said he won't get behind the manager.

I don't think he'll turn it around either but I'll be giving them my full encouragement at the games.

Hibernia&Alba
01-10-2019, 06:06 PM
I don't think he's ever said he won't get behind the manager.

I don't think he'll turn it around either but I'll be giving them my full encouragement at the games.

:agree:

It would be better for everyone if Hecky can turn things around; another manager means more upheaval. However, I don't think it's going to happen. We'll just have to see what transpires.

chrisski33
01-10-2019, 06:12 PM
Lose against Hamilton and he should go. Yes we done well on Saturday against Celtic but doesn't convince me to keep Heckingbottom.

Wilson
01-10-2019, 06:24 PM
:agree:

It would be better for everyone if Hecky can turn things around; another manager means more upheaval. However, I don't think it's going to happen. We'll just have to see what transpires.

I wanted him gone because results were poor, recruitment was poor, and there was a real disconnect between what he preaches and what we were seeing on the pitch. I didn't see results improving but there does seem to have been a watershed moment that has led to cup progress and a good draw instead of the expected humiliation by Celtic.

If Heck can keep getting favourable results - perhaps a big if - he might make it to the next transfer window. We may only be a couple of high quality additions away from being a good side so everyone connected with the recruitment side of things needs to pull through.

It might be a remarkable turnaround. I don't care as long as the performances and results match the ambitions we should have as one of the top sides in Scotland.

Ronniekirk
01-10-2019, 08:00 PM
With the last two results he has probably bought himself more time to see if he can then win games
Aberdeen have been our bogey team We have outplayed them often but still got beat
So with Aberdeen struggling ,this is Heck s chance to get s narrow win although a draw would also be a decent result and then we need to show we can beat teams in the bottom six as these are six pointer games
So unless Ron has got a secret master plan he is about to unveil , we need to get behind the Team and hope he has begun to turn things round
But a couple of defeats and the pressure will be right back on him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wireless
01-10-2019, 08:10 PM

Fair comment

Jones28
01-10-2019, 08:22 PM
I think Saturday has bought him some time, but it’s really important to put in a good show against Aberdeen. If we go and come away with nothing but the performance has been good and we lose by the odd goal then fair enough, when have we ever had a good record at Pittodrie? If we go and get pumped then it’s back to square one, Aberdeen are not in a good place and we seem to have a turned a corner. A point or a win the it’s another step in a positive direction.

J-C
02-10-2019, 06:10 AM

Who do you want?

Other managers with a lot less of a budget seem to be doing better than ours and playing better football into the bargain.

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2019, 06:36 AM

Who do you want?

Just someone who has us punching our weight as a minimum, but hopefully someone who has us punching above it would be nice.

2nd bottom really is not great, even under this clown.

Since452
02-10-2019, 09:18 AM
I can imagine a situation where the the team starts to gel even more and we start climbing the table pretty quickly, make top 6 and push for Europe. An English Championship team come in for him and we're desperate for him to stay. What do you think he'd do? If i we're him I'd be ofski with a two fingered salute directed our way for all the rediculous over the top abuse he's been getting.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-10-2019, 09:32 AM
I can imagine a situation where the the team starts to gel even more and we start climbing the table pretty quickly, make top 6 and push for Europe. An English Championship team come in for him and we're desperate for him to stay. What do you think he'd do? If i we're him I'd be ofski with a two fingered salute directed our way for all the rediculous over the top abuse he's been getting.

Why doesn't he just go now then?

Keith_M
02-10-2019, 10:53 AM

I can imagine a situation where I've just won the Euromillions, discovered a cure for cancer and be the oldest person ever to win the 100m at the Olympics.

You'll aw be desperate to go for a holiday on ma yacht wi aw the Playboy Bunnies.

Imagination is a wonderful thing

😉

flash
02-10-2019, 11:44 AM
Why doesn't he just go now then?

Because the set of circumstances outlined by the poster you replied to don't exist currently. Isn't that obvious?

ancient hibee
02-10-2019, 05:38 PM

I think J K Rowling has a rival.

The 90+2
02-10-2019, 05:44 PM
Because the set of circumstances outlined by the poster you replied to don't exist currently. Isn't that obvious?

So he’s in it for the best interests of himself and will be off as soon as he can and doesn’t owe the club anything for a) picking him off the managerial scrap heap and b) backing him with funds and during tough times?

Exactly the type of character we want at the club handing out shree year contracts to players.

The 90+2
02-10-2019, 05:46 PM

So he doesn’t give a **** about the club and will say f u to the support up and leave if by some miracle Doidge becomes our version of Kris Boyd and Joe Newell becomes a footballer?

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-10-2019, 06:03 PM

True, they're much worse.

Wilson
02-10-2019, 06:25 PM

In that situation he'd be off like a shot whether he'd had the abuse or not. So the only issue is am I really worried about a two fingered salute and the answer is no.

Bizarrely, the biggest fantasy on this thread isn't about Hecky pushing for Europe - it was the later post about Newell becoming a footballer. There is always someone that will take things too far!

MagicSwirlingShip
02-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Where do we go from here?

Time ain’t nothin but time

One Day Soon
02-10-2019, 08:59 PM
So he doesn’t give a **** about the club and will say f u to the support up and leave if by some miracle Doidge becomes our version of Kris Boyd and Joe Newell becomes a footballer?

Does not compute.

02-10-2019, 09:02 PM

No. That's what Since452 has said he (or she) would do but you've twisted it into that's what Since452 is suggesting Heckingbottom would do.

majorhibs
02-10-2019, 10:43 PM
Still rudderless for me, awaiting something decent, cos I’m a simple Hibs fan looking for good things for my team. The now- nowt! Crap return in terms of Scottish fitba for what they’ve had put in! Why, again, Hibs?

The 90+2
02-10-2019, 11:10 PM
No. That's what Since452 has said he (or she) would do but you've twisted it into that's what Since452 is suggesting Heckingbottom would do.

True. And that’s an actual supposed supporter of the club 😉

The 90+2
02-10-2019, 11:10 PM
Does not compute.

:greengrin

jacomo
03-10-2019, 06:59 AM

I’d take this.

I’m not convinced PH is the most self-aware individual, so I’ve no doubt he’s had some dark thoughts about us supporters over the past few months.

If he actually turns out some good results before he leaves then he can think what he wants.