PDA

View Full Version : Chris Maxwell

Pretty Boy
28-09-2019, 07:00 PM
I was very critical of him after the Morton game so I think it's only fair to give credit where it's due.

There were a few eyebrows raised when he got the nod to start last week but he played pretty well and followed up with a clean sheet and a crucial penalty save midweek. Today I thought once again he was very good. Had 2 saves in the 1st half you would expect him to make and he did so. He then had a very, very good save in the 2nd half. It didn't look much but it was from quite close range, came through a lot of bodies and he had 3 Celtic players waiting to pounce on any error. He took it cleanly and confidently.

A few people were grumbling about his kicking but I think he looked confident with the ball at his feet and kicks well. The long ball is frustrating but it is evidently under instruction and that's understandable at the moment; in time I think we'll see him playing out from the back more often. It's noticeable the defence looks more assured in the last few games and seem more trusting when knocking the ball back to our keeper.

The Harp Awakes
28-09-2019, 07:03 PM
He seems a confident lad which is a big factor in being a good goalkeeper. Never looked flustered today. Well done.

Northernhibee
28-09-2019, 07:03 PM
His distribution is night and day better than Marciano, but Marciano has the better shot stopping. Happy with him.

hibee_girl
28-09-2019, 07:06 PM
He did very well today, the save in the 2nd half looked a certain goal until he got to the ball.

His kicks straight to the other keeper frustrate me though.

hibeerealist
28-09-2019, 07:08 PM
I was very critical of him after the Morton game so I think it's only fair to give credit where it's due.

There were a few eyebrows raised when he got the nod to start last week but he played pretty well and followed up with a clean sheet and a crucial penalty save midweek. Today I thought once again he was very good. Had 2 saves in the 1st half you would expect him to make and he did so. He then had a very, very good save in the 2nd half. It didn't look much but it was from quite close range, came through a lot of bodies and he had 3 Celtic players waiting to pounce on any error. He took it cleanly and confidently.

A few people were grumbling about his kicking but I think he looked confident with the ball at his feet and kicks well. The long ball is frustrating but it is evidently under instruction and that's understandable at the moment; in time I think we'll see him playing out from the back more often. It's noticeable the defence looks more assured in the last few games and seem more trusting when knocking the ball back to our keeper.

Agree PB, he comes for crosses too which takes a lot of pressure from defenders.

When we settle down as a team we may well see him playing short from the box, having said that not sure if PH would encourage this.

SChibs
28-09-2019, 07:09 PM
He did very well today, the save in the 2nd half looked a certain goal until he got to the ball.

His kicks straight to the other keeper frustrate me though.

At least they stay in play rather than marciano booting it out 50% of the time. I don't think there's much between them and you can't really say who's the better shot stopper until we see Maxwell play 10+ games imo

theonlywayisup
28-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Quite impressed with him today.

weecounty hibby
28-09-2019, 07:11 PM
He was obviously told to kick it long to Doidge as a tactic. I would say that at least 90%of his kicks went to within a few yards of Doidge. I wonder if we'll see Rocky leave in January?

HibbyAndy
28-09-2019, 07:21 PM
He's quite rightly our new number 1

bingo70
28-09-2019, 07:29 PM

It’s funny (and maybe a wee bit weird tbh) but I was wondering what your thoughts on him after today would be.

I agree with all that you say and he’s done a great job over the last couple of games however has he not got pretty weird/bad technique?

I’m a massive advocate of keepers just keeping it out the net regardless of how (as obvious as that sounds I think some goalies can concentrate on looking the part instead of just saving the ball) so it’s not a criticism of him, more an observation that to me he doesn’t look like a keeper, more like an athletic outfield player doing a good job between the sticks.

Hope that makes sense, as part of a goalies union even if it doesn’t though I’m expecting you to be in full agreement with me regardless.

Since452
28-09-2019, 07:32 PM
I was calling for Marciano to be dropped for a while. Im not surprised to see us look better defensively with Maxwell in goals. The defence look far less anxious. Marciano needs someone pushing him. Bogdan did it last season and Marciano came back much better. It's Maxwell's gloves to lose at the minute.

Pretty Boy
28-09-2019, 07:46 PM
It’s funny (and maybe a wee bit weird tbh) but I was wondering what your thoughts on him after today would be.

I agree with all that you say and he’s done a great job over the last couple of games however has he not got pretty weird/bad technique?

I’m a massive advocate of keepers just keeping it out the net regardless of how (as obvious as that sounds I think some goalies can concentrate on looking the part instead of just saving the ball) so it’s not a criticism of him, more an observation that to me he doesn’t look like a keeper, more like an athletic outfield player doing a good job between the sticks.

Hope that makes sense, as part of a goalies union even if it doesn’t though I’m expecting you to be in full agreement with me regardless.

I think he's just a modern goalkeeper. Footballer first, goalkeeper second almost.

Even going back only a decade or so someone like Edwin Van Der Sar stood out because he was so good with the ball at his feet, now it's just par for the course. I was actually watching a game with my Dad the other night and he said to me 'you would never cope playing nowadays'. He's spot on, I was a very good shot stopper, I could command a box and I communicated well but as a footballer I was and am miles short.

I think we've just seen another evolution of the position. I watch training videos on YouTube and the like and almost all the drills are geared towards distribution and, probably related to what you say, adapting goalkeeping technique to aid distribution.

Nicho87
28-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Braw hair.

28-09-2019, 07:54 PM
Agree PB, he comes for crosses too which takes a lot of pressure from defenders.

When we settle down as a team we may well see him playing short from the box, having said that not sure if PH would encourage this.

I like Rocky but Maxwell is just edging it for me at the moment due to his ability with crosses. Rocky is 3 inches taller but is reluctant to come off his line to meet a cross and when he does its usually a punch.

JimBHibees
28-09-2019, 07:56 PM
Like him confident been very good last few games.

IberianHibernian
28-09-2019, 07:58 PM
Been impressed by Maxwell in every game so far . Like last season we have 2 very good goalies . Modern football being what it is wouldn´t expect either to be with us next season so would be great if at least one of our young goalies stepped up to first team .

greenlex
28-09-2019, 09:18 PM
He made a save second half that he caught. Rocky would have tipped it round the list theatrically. I think he’s our no 1.

BILLYHIBS
28-09-2019, 09:24 PM
Pretty Boy nailed it when he said nowadays modern goalkeepers have to be a football player first and a goalkeeper second

Maxwell has the gloves

Rocky will have to remain patient and seize his opportunity when it comes along

Speedy
28-09-2019, 09:24 PM

Know what you mean. PB knows the position so always interesting reading his goalkeeper reviews.

DetroitHibs
28-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Better get him tied up to a permanent contract before any thoughts of letting Rocky go happen.

Monts
28-09-2019, 09:30 PM
I've noticed that he always seems to be talking to his defence. Something rocky doesn't do enough of imo.

wookie70
28-09-2019, 09:52 PM
I've noticed that he always seems to be talking to his defence. Something rocky doesn't do enough of imo.

Agree with this. I think his personality is just as important to the team as his ability. I liked when he was pretending to not be able to find the ball to waste time. Takes the heat off our defense and lets them get a breather. He seems to communicate with defenders and I think this is a major part of our form turning. Good to have two good keepers.

FilipinoHibs
28-09-2019, 10:56 PM
I was calling for Marciano to be dropped for a while. Im not surprised to see us look better defensively with Maxwell in goals. The defence look far less anxious. Marciano needs someone pushing him. Bogdan did it last season and Marciano came back much better. It's Maxwell's gloves to lose at the minute.

Very confident lad which our defense more solid. Good with ball at feet and long balls in area of Hibs players. Liked his talking up of the team and Hanlon in the press this week. God to have at least one hipster in the team now.

Swedish hibee
28-09-2019, 10:59 PM
Big call by Heggie to bring him in- but I've been impressed with him in all 3 games.

28-09-2019, 11:21 PM

Good point. A vocal keeper makes a big difference.

Captain Trips
28-09-2019, 11:27 PM
Looks like a very decent keeper.

Scouse Hibee
28-09-2019, 11:59 PM
Weighing up the complete package, distribution, saves, organisation, commanding his area, vocal, confidence and presence he shades it for me over Rocky and should remain number one.

Bostonhibby
29-09-2019, 12:30 AM
He's the man in possession, good at crosses and very good distribution. Happy with him today.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

One Day Soon
29-09-2019, 09:17 AM
I thought he was excellent and it feels to me that they’re planning on him being the No 1 following the transfer window chat about Rocky moving on.

JimBHibees
29-09-2019, 09:22 AM
Weighing up the complete package, distribution, saves, organisation, commanding his area, vocal, confidence and presence he shades it for me over Rocky and should remain number one.

Agree with that.

we are hibs
29-09-2019, 09:25 AM
He made a save second half that he caught. Rocky would have tipped it round the list theatrically. I think he’s our no 1.

You could also argue that a goalkeeper with more height couldve saved their goal.

MONKEY'S ERSE
29-09-2019, 09:32 AM
Maybe stating the obvious - Think we're in the fortunate position ( as last year) to have 2 good goalkeepers on the books.

BILLYHIBS
29-09-2019, 09:42 AM
You could also argue that a goalkeeper with more height couldve saved their goal.

:agree:

Got a text from my brother an hour before kick off versus the Hearts:

” Aw naw the gnomes in goals!”

Smartie
29-09-2019, 09:43 AM
It was a huge call to drop Rocky as we all know how good he can be.

So far this move has worked and I like the look of Maxwell - his competent handling gives you confidence. His kicking is clean especially under pressure and I wonder if in time someone like Martin Boyle might find himself scampering onto the ones that are currently going all the way through to the opposition goalkeeper?

FilipinoHibs
29-09-2019, 09:51 AM

He can easily touch the cross bar. More about timing and reading the flight and speed of the ball. Probably not expecting a great header from Christie. Andy Goram was a couple of inches smaller.

MrRobot
29-09-2019, 10:21 AM
Was quite critical of him before mostly for his speed but was much better yesterday, getting the ball out early for the counter.

The_Horde
29-09-2019, 11:09 AM

Got a text from my brother an hour before kick off versus the Hearts:

” Aw naw the gnomes in goals!”

Since when are gnomes 6ft 1?

Unseen work
29-09-2019, 11:11 AM
I think the main thing for him is his communication, defensive seems a lot more organised.

Shrekko
29-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Rocky is brilliant but highly erratic and I think causes confusion at times with his decision making.

Maxwell looks very steady albeit we’ve not seen the amazing saves Rocky pulls off. I think I prefer steady at the moment so it’s been a good decision.

The 90+2
29-09-2019, 12:01 PM
Looks like a top ****ger in all honesty and rightly has the gloves to lose.

BILLYHIBS
29-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Since when are gnomes 6ft 1?

6 feet 0.835 inches

Will Ferrell (Elf) is 6 foot 3 inches. :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Once again, I am content that we have two keepers to choose from who we are both happy to see get the jersey. It hasn't always been like that.

cmcd
29-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Agree with this and the good thing for me he is comfortable with both feet

hibsbollah
30-09-2019, 12:12 PM

The 2nd half save you describe was outstanding. Through a crowd of bodies and took it clean first time, no fuss, and it was travelling. The other one I liked a lot was the one on one through ball where he dived at their substitute strikers feet to claim the ball. He showed exceptional speed and reactions to get there first.

hibsbollah
30-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Swings and roundabouts. Forster is weak at a hard low shot round his feet because he cant get down as fast as a more dextrous keeper. If youve got a good enough spring you can make up for not being 6'3+

ancient hibee
30-09-2019, 06:33 PM
The 2nd half save you describe was outstanding. Through a crowd of bodies and took it clean first time, no fuss, and it was travelling. The other one I liked a lot was the one on one through ball where he dived at their substitute strikers feet to claim the ball. He showed exceptional speed and reactions to get there first.

He was brave to claim the ball at the player's feet and I was pleased to see that he then got on with the game unlike many other goalies who pretend to be hurt.