PDA

View Full Version : Which Hibs legends were in the pitch at half time today?

NGH
28-09-2019, 05:58 PM
I missed the announcement so which Hibs legends were in the pitch at half time today?

Stantons Angel
28-09-2019, 06:59 PM
GOD himself, Alex Cropley, john Brownlie, Alan Sneddon, Gordon Rae , jim McArthur, Alan Rough and i think is was Jim Black but not sure.

bigwheel
28-09-2019, 07:05 PM
GOD himself, Alex Cropley, john Brownlie, Alan Sneddon, Gordon Rae , jim McArthur, Alan Rough and i think is was Jim Black but not sure.

Mickey Weir. And I thought the other was Willie Murray ??

Wheat Hound
28-09-2019, 07:05 PM
And Mickey W as well!

NGH
28-09-2019, 07:16 PM

Crammond Hibee
28-09-2019, 08:19 PM
Jim Herriot

bigwheel
28-09-2019, 09:08 PM
Jim Herriot

Loved Jim Herriot...nae gloves for him
..and the mud under the eyes on sunny days ...

Albanian Hibs
28-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Is that David Gray in leg brace?

BILLYHIBS
28-09-2019, 09:20 PM
Who is the guy third from the right standing behind Crops and Mickey?

bigwheel
28-09-2019, 09:30 PM
Who is the guy third from the right standing behind Crops and Mickey?

I think it’s Willie Murray...might be wrong though ....

Feed McGraw
28-09-2019, 09:36 PM
Loved Jim Herriot...nae gloves for him
..and the mud under the eyes on sunny days ... Think it was more for matches under the floodlights but maybe sunny days too.

GreenCastle
28-09-2019, 09:37 PM
Couldn’t hear a word in the East Stand.

Shame as would have been good to have heard what was said.

Sooner they sort the PA system the better.

BILLYHIBS
28-09-2019, 09:57 PM
I think it’s Willie Murray...might be wrong though ....

Ha Ha!

The Willie Murray I remember was a wee skinny waif of a laddie wi a wedged haircut and looked as though a strong wind would blow him over

My heart used to sink when the PA Announcer used to say before kick off
“ George Best has a virus today folks so No 7 will be Wiiillllllliiieeee Murrrrrrrraaayyyyyyy!” to a crescendo of boos 😁

ekhibee
28-09-2019, 10:01 PM
I missed the announcement so which Hibs legends were in the pitch at half time today?

None the grass has always been there.

IberianHibernian
28-09-2019, 10:14 PM
Ha Ha!

The Willie Murray I remember was a wee skinny waif of a laddie wi a wedged haircut and looked as though a strong wind would blow him over

My heart used to sink when the PA Announcer used to say before kick off
“ George Best has a virus today folks so No 7 will be Wiiillllllliiieeee Murrrrrrrraaayyyyyyy!” to a crescendo of boos 😁To be fair I don`t remember Willie Murray being booed . He was very fast and I think a Hibbie . For a while Turnbull had a decent post Tornadoes attack with Murray on right wing , Willie Patterson ( 17 second goal v Hearts ? ) , Alex McGhee
( ? ) and Tony Higgins . In those days there was only one sub so players like Willie Murray didn`t get much chance .

Sombrero Bob
28-09-2019, 10:50 PM
Willie Murray is most definitely a Hibs fan who still goes to home games. It was great to see him out on the pitch today.

The Pointer
28-09-2019, 11:00 PM
Can someone give the L to R names as I recognise only about five. I played rugby against Jim MacArthur in Kirkcaldy many years ago but can't tell which one he is. Boy, haven't we all changed.

wookie70
28-09-2019, 11:39 PM
Can someone give the L to R names as I recognise only about five. I played rugby against Jim MacArthur in Kirkcaldy many years ago but can't tell which one he is. Boy, haven't we all changed.

He was my PE teacher and I'm struggling to spot him too. Roughie is wearing well and Cyclops is easy to spot.

mim
28-09-2019, 11:48 PM
I think that's Jim McArthur to the right of Rough (as you view the picture)

hibby6270
28-09-2019, 11:52 PM
I was down getting my pie at halftime but I’m sure Alex Edwards’ name was mentioned by the announcer guy. Can’t make him out in the pic though.:confused:

wookie70
29-09-2019, 12:04 AM
I think that's Jim McArthur to the right of Rough (as you view the picture) That was the only one I thought it could be but he looks much older than I thought he would.

Stantons Angel
29-09-2019, 12:45 AM
I think that's Jim McArthur to the right of Rough (as you view the picture)

McArthur is wearing the black coat and has white hair and a large appearance.

BILLYHIBS
29-09-2019, 06:23 AM
To be fair I don`t remember Willie Murray being booed . He was very fast and I think a Hibbie . For a while Turnbull had a decent post Tornadoes attack with Murray on right wing , Willie Patterson ( 17 second goal v Hearts ? ) , Alex McGhee
( ? ) and Tony Higgins . In those days there was only one sub so players like Willie Murray didn`t get much chance .
My post was intended to be tongue in cheek and should be taken that way

I had the greatest respect for Willie Murray as a player

He was a very good player for HIBS

OK the game I was referring to was a Scottish Cup tie versus Ayr United on a Sunday 18th February 1980. 15000 of us had paid our hard earned to get into the ground and the Stadium announcer announced that there was no George Best ( He was otherwise engaged with the French Rugby team and if other rumours are to be believed Miss World) The boos around me of course were not for Willie Murray but for George Best who had let down the fans and the club once again
George Best was sacked in the morning and we won the tie 2-0 after an excellent performance from Willie Murray
GGTTH

Tom Hart RIP
29-09-2019, 08:09 AM

John Brownlie, David Gray, Gordon Rae, Pat, Roughie, Jim McArthur, Alan Sneddon, Alex Cropley, Willie Murray, Mickey Weir, Jim Herriot.

Oh and Sue 👍

Halmyre Hibee
29-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Couldn’t hear a word in the East Stand.

Shame as would have been good to have heard what was said.

Sooner they sort the PA system the better.

Same in the West Upper shocking

bigwheel
29-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Just taking a minute to remind myself how good John Brownlie was...great defensively, but also the flair of a great midfielder...can’t think of a modern player like him to illustrate it to younger fans ...anyone help out ??

BILLYHIBS
29-09-2019, 08:50 AM
Just taking a minute to remind myself how good John Brownlie was...great defensively, but also the flair of a great midfielder...can’t think of a modern player like him to illustrate it to younger fans ...anyone help out ??

Think Andrew Robertson but ten times better

Oh those cavalier galloping runs up the right wing best illustrated League Cup Quarter Final at Broomfield 6-2 versus Airdrie

At his height he was better than Sandy Jardine and Danny McGrain

Legend

leith lynx
29-09-2019, 08:52 AM
My post was intended to be tongue in cheek and should be taken that way

I had the greatest respect for Willie Murray as a player

He was a very good player for HIBS

OK the game I was referring to was a Scottish Cup tie versus Ayr United on a Sunday 18th February 1980. 15000 of us had paid our hard earned to get into the ground and the Stadium announcer announced that there was no George Best ( He was otherwise engaged with the French Rugby team and if other rumours are to be believed Miss World) The boos around me of course were not for Willie Murray but for George Best who had let down the fans and the club once again
George Best was sacked in the morning and we won the tie 2-0 after an excellent performance from Willie Murray
GGTTH

Sure Besties stand in was Duncan Lambie that day, not WM....

BILLYHIBS
29-09-2019, 09:05 AM
Sure Besties stand in was Duncan Lambie that day, not WM....

Duncan Lambie at that time was being utilised as a left back

The wingers that day were Ralph Callachan on the right and Willie Murray on the left

Duncan Lambie did score that day

Source: fitbastats

McArthur,Brazil Lambie,Rae Paterson and McNamara Callachan Macleod Higgins Campbell and Murray sub Duncan

Lambie had started the three previous games as left back

Tom Hart RIP
29-09-2019, 02:43 PM

Like Gareth Bale when he played full-back. Still haven't seen a better full back than John at his peak.
After the 7-0 game Hibs were top of the league and still in the quarter final of the European Cup Winners Cup and Tom Hart was in the papers saying we were going to win both.

We then beat East Fife but John suffered a broken leg and Mickey Edwards who had been kicked black and blue all afternoon threw the ball away in frustration and the ref couldn't wait to book him.

Mickey's disciplinary record wasn't the best so he was given a 56 day (8 week) ban and the Tornadoes never played together again.

If both John and Mickey had been available I've no doubt that we'd have won both trophies.

Imagine that these days.

Great to see so many of that wonderful team yesterday and at Pat's celebration at the Usher Hall

Roxyhibee
29-09-2019, 05:04 PM
For those who never saw him play, it really is difficult to put into words how incredible a young player John Brownlie was before he broke his leg. We’ve had some great youngsters from John Collins to Brown etc coming through, but “Onion” was on a totally different level altogether.

It really wouldn’t be exaggerating to say he was beginning to show shades of a nowadays Gareth Bale. So powerful, he could dance through a whole strong Rangers midfield into scoring positions several times in one game. Just thinking of his skill, intelligence and power takes my breath away.

His leg break was a huge loss to us, Scotland and probably Man U or someone, where he was definitely heading one day.

lapsedhibee
29-09-2019, 05:23 PM
So powerful, he could dance through a whole strong Rangers midfield into scoring positions several times in one game. Just thinking of his skill, intelligence and power takes my breath away.
Watching the repeating, fluid triangles that Brownlie, Edwards and O'Rourke used to simply flow up the right wing from box to box was exhilarating. Didn't see anything like it again until Wengerball in the early 2000s.

Roxyhibee
29-09-2019, 07:15 PM
Watching the repeating, fluid triangles that Brownlie, Edwards and O'Rourke used to simply flow up the right wing from box to box was exhilarating. Didn't see anything like it again until Wengerball in the early 2000s.

Yes, so many games to remember watching those moves, but to pick just one - I was in the cave the night we destroyed Sporting Lisbon 6-1 and recall the looks on their faces, just didn’t have a clue what the hell was happening to them.!

Iggy Pope
30-09-2019, 12:34 AM

He was my PE teacher and I'm struggling to spot him too. Roughie is wearing well and Cyclops is easy to spot.

Jim McArthur couldn’t be clearer in that photo supposing he come out and booted the pair of you in the nuts!