PDA

View Full Version : 'We're a work in progress and will be for a long long time'

G B Young
28-09-2019, 05:55 PM
That was what Heckingbottom had to say after our opening day win over St Mirren. Perhaps not the most inspirational quote, but after the improvement shown since the derby are we a little more ready to accept that he needs to be given the time to shape a very much changed squad the way he wants?

Captain Trips
28-09-2019, 06:04 PM
That was what Heckingbottom had to say after our opening day win over St Mirren. Perhaps not the most inspirational quote, but after the improvement shown since the derby are we a little more ready to accept that he needs to be given the time to shape a very much changed squad the way he wants?

No,

I expect us to be challenging for Europe every season unless there are some circumstances outwith teams control. PH has had a near for us perfect set up to perform this season.

He came in ladt season was able to assess the squad for a long period, he was then backed to ge in players so no there is no need or excuse to be 11th. If he can't have us pushing for Europe then he isn't good enough and he has no excuse whatsoever.

We have had plenty of mangers over the years who would have been over the moon at the opportunity PH had at first joining.

Posh Hibby
28-09-2019, 06:07 PM
Been a poor start to the season, but 2 good results on the trot.

His signings are starting to contribute. Maxwell looked good today. I really like the look of James. Doidge offered a lot today. Jackson and Hallberg seem decent.

Hopefully can kick on and start to climb the table.

Jones28
28-09-2019, 08:21 PM
Most teams can raise their game against Celtic and luck it out in the cup to go through on penalties. We need to start winning games, we need to be convincing and we need stability within the starting 11. Whittaker today proved himself as a more than able centre half, and I would start the team that finished the first half today against Aberdeen. They will be tough and they will be stung after being horsed today and they will be their usual, conniving, diving, robust *******s. They are a real test and we must show up.

Take 3 points and PH has a chance.

Onceinawhile
28-09-2019, 08:26 PM
I only have to look at the league table tonight to remind myself not to start to feel sorry for our manager or feel that he should be given more time.
The league table does not lie.
We are in the relegation zone because we have far too many "average at best" players (players sanctioned either arrogantly or naively by our manager) and too few "quality" players.

We're not in the relegation zone.

matty_f
28-09-2019, 08:47 PM

And no team has ever, to the best of my knowledge, been relegated from this league in September.

The Modfather
28-09-2019, 09:52 PM
We should incorporate “work in progress” into the badge.

SquashedFrogg
28-09-2019, 09:55 PM
Pedantics:

"2nd bottom is a relegation play off spot and at this moment in time (as early in the season as it is) we occupy that spot.

Whether we are still 2nd bottom come the end of the season is another matter.

Does a semi final spot suggest we will win the cup?

DarlingtonHibee
28-09-2019, 09:58 PM
We should incorporate “work in progress” into the badge.

Your hilarious....

28-09-2019, 10:34 PM
No,

I expect us to be challenging for Europe every season unless there are some circumstances outwith teams control. PH has had a near for us perfect set up to perform this season.

He came in ladt season was able to assess the squad for a long period, he was then backed to ge in players so no there is no need or excuse to be 11th. If he can't have us pushing for Europe then he isn't good enough and he has no excuse whatsoever.

We have had plenty of mangers over the years who would have been over the moon at the opportunity PH had at first joining.

He had us pushing for Europe last season from a starting point where it had looked a very realistic possibility we'd not even make the top 6. He got us from 14 points behind 4th to 4 points behind in the space of 10 games before Killie's late winner at Tynecastle pretty much ended our chances of overtaking them.

You're saying if he can't have us pushing for Europe then he's not good enough. As far as I'm concerned he is 1 out 1 in terms of getting us pushing for Europe and that was with a 14 point handicap with only a third of the season left. He turned around what was looking like being a fairly disasterous season, a lot of people seem to have forgotten that.

You wrote him off after 4 or 5 games of this league season (or was it earlier than that?). Not exactly giving him much of a chance to see if he can get us pushing for Europe again like he did last season is it?

In the last few days he has got us to Hampden and earned a point against the best team in the country yet you are only looking for negatives.

What is the point you are trying to make about being able to assess the squad for a long period? Sounds like you are saying he had it easy and he deserves no credit for the 10 game unbeaten run he had from the outset. Just down to new manager bounce no doubt.

28-09-2019, 10:46 PM
Most teams can raise their game against Celtic and luck it out in the cup to go through on penalties. We need to start winning games, we need to be convincing and we need stability within the starting 11. Whittaker today proved himself as a more than able centre half, and I would start the team that finished the first half today against Aberdeen. They will be tough and they will be stung after being horsed today and they will be their usual, conniving, diving, robust *******s. They are a real test and we must show up.

Take 3 points and PH has a chance.

:faf:

Celtic 7 St Johnstone 0
Motherwell 2 Celtic 5
Celtic 3 Hearts 1
Rangers 0 Celtic 2
Hamilton 0 Celtic 1
Celtic 3 Kilmarnock 1

FilipinoHibs
28-09-2019, 10:49 PM
He had us pushing for Europe last season from a starting point where it had looked a very realistic possibility we'd not even make the top 6. He got us from 14 points behind 4th to 4 points behind in the space of 10 games before Killie's late winner at Tynecastle pretty much ended our chances of overtaking them.

You're saying if he can't have us pushing for Europe then he's not good enough. As far as I'm concerned he is 1 out 1 in terms of getting us pushing for Europe and that was with a 14 point handicap with only a third of the season left. He turned around what was looking like being a fairly disasterous season, a lot of people seem to have forgotten that.

You wrote him off after 4 or 5 games of this league season (or was it earlier than that?). Not exactly giving him much of a chance to see if he can get us pushing for Europe again like he did last season is it?

In the last few days he has got us to Hampden and earned a point against the best team in the country yet you are only looking for negatives.

What is the point you are trying to make about being able to assess the squad for a long period? Sounds like you are saying he had it easy and he deserves no credit for the 10 game unbeaten run he had from the outset. Just down to new manager bounce no doubt.

Last year he had some very hood players on loan that are outside our budget for permanent. He let Bartley and Milligan go but their legs had gone and would have been overrun against the Luke's if Celtic who combine pace with skill. I was a critic but think new players apart from Newall are starting to shape up. Players clearly playing for him to.

28-09-2019, 11:03 PM
Last year he had some very hood players on loan that are outside our budget for permanent. He let Bartley and Milligan go but their legs had gone and would have been overrun against the Luke's if Celtic who combine pace with skill. I was a critic but think new players apart from Newall are starting to shape up. Players clearly playing for him to.

Yes he had McNulty and Omeonga who were out of our budget for permanent, what is your point in stating that? It sounds like you are saying the 10 game unbeaten run was just down to them.

The Harp Awakes
28-09-2019, 11:17 PM

Nope. The likes of Motherwell, Hamilton and Kilmarnock are comfortably above us. Work in progress is nonsense. We should be improving on last season and there is no excuse not to, and the aforementioned teams have a fraction of our budget.

Captain Trips
28-09-2019, 11:17 PM

What you have written is utter guff, last season is last season and yes he has had it easy IMO. I said if he cant get us pushing for Europe this season then he isn't good enough I haven't written him off or written him on. I gave him credit at the time so therefore if capable of that run without any players he signed then why should I think that by adding to the team he had on "10 game unbeaten run" things should improve?

At this juncture it is not looking good so that is why the comments are from many negative. We can only comment real time on things and this form is not good enough.

Captain Trips
28-09-2019, 11:23 PM
Yes he had McNulty and Omeonga who were out of our budget for permanent, what is your point in stating that? It sounds like you are saying the 10 game unbeaten run was just down to them.

10 game run with players he never signed, he then has the opportunity in close season to bring in his own players to add to this team that had that run. So if he can do that when just taking over surely when he gets to buy his own guys and get rid of the ones he doesn't we will be flying?

Keith_M
29-09-2019, 03:27 PM

We're in the relegation playoff position, 11th place.

Sir David Gray
29-09-2019, 03:37 PM
I think he should have gone by now, he hasn't though and now that we're into the semis of the League Cup and just got a point against Celtic, I accept that he will be here for a bit longer yet.

We need to see a huge improvement to convince me that he should stay longer term though. The football so far this season has been eye bleeding and sitting second bottom going into October is unacceptable.

I accept that he has earned the right to stay on after the last two results but I'm nowhere near the point of accepting that things are anywhere near good enough. A work in progress suggests that there is some kind of progress taking place but I'm not convinced that's the case.

Since452
29-09-2019, 04:10 PM
We have been a work in progress, of course we have. Transitional period is an understatement

Diclonius
29-09-2019, 04:15 PM
We're always a "work in progress". Keeps expectations low. :aok:

When was the last time Hearts or Aberdeen were described as a "work in progress"?

blackpoolhibs
29-09-2019, 04:17 PM
Cmon folks, just a little more patience and we will have an indoor pitch to train on, what more do you lot want?

Brightside
29-09-2019, 04:19 PM
Cmon folks, just a little more patience and we will have an indoor pitch to train on, what more do you lot want?

Can’t wait. Will be great for the girls. And a nice wee cafe for the coaches and parents.

hibbie02
29-09-2019, 04:27 PM
I think it’s way too early to say we’ve turned any corners. However with players we have some possibilities came out of it.

I like Maxwell but we’ve not seen too much of his fabled distribution. Rocky however is a bomb scare with ball at feet. Maxwell also appears to be able to catch crosses.

If we had Porto and Hanlon at CB with Whitts sweeper it would toughen up the central defence. If one of our many RBs could play WB, I’d try WBs. I don’t think we have Wingers at the moment. Horgan is a waste of a jersey and Middleton has done nothing.

In front of that play Hallberg and Mallan with Allan playing in behind Flo and Doidge. These are tools we have. Without wingers I don’t see another way to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MWHIBBIES
29-09-2019, 04:46 PM
Nope. The likes of Motherwell, Hamilton and Kilmarnock are comfortably above us. Work in progress is nonsense. We should be improving on last season and there is no excuse not to, and the aforementioned teams have a fraction of our budget.

We'll finish above all 3 by at least 10 points.

crash
29-09-2019, 04:54 PM

Every football team can be described as a work in progress. Cant see any improvement in the recent performances, the only difference in the last 2 games where we have finished with a result is that luck has favoured us, Never set up to win either game IMO.

The 90+2
29-09-2019, 04:58 PM

No chance.

Sir David Gray
29-09-2019, 05:00 PM

Hamilton quite possibly, Kilmarnock maybe but I can't see how we're going to have an 18 point swing in our favour over Motherwell.

oneone73
29-09-2019, 06:44 PM
Hamilton quite possibly, Kilmarnock maybe but I can't see how we're going to have an 18 point swing in our favour over Motherwell.

We play Motherwell at least twice. Two wins, and there's a 12-point swing for a start.

The 90+2
29-09-2019, 06:45 PM
We play Motherwell at least twice. Two wins, and there's a 12-point swing for a start.

They are a better side than us. That’s a bit it of an issue.

Sir David Gray
29-09-2019, 07:01 PM

I'm not quite sure your maths is correct.

Motherwell are currently 8 points ahead of us. The poster I quoted said that we will be "at least 10 points ahead" of Motherwell by the end of the season.

For that to happen we would need to get at least 18 more points than them between now and the rest of the season.

That translates into us requiring six more wins than however many they manage. If we beat them in the next two games, it still leaves us needing four extra wins.

theonlywayisup
29-09-2019, 07:01 PM

Run that one past me again!

How can it be a 12 point swing, when there is only six points to play for?

oneone73
29-09-2019, 07:05 PM
Run that one past me again!

How can it be a 12 point swing, when there is only six points to play for?

Six points we get, and six they won't. I will agree my logic is flawed, though!

Sir David Gray
29-09-2019, 07:11 PM
Six points we get, and six they won't. I will agree my logic is flawed, though!

It's not flawed, it's just wrong.

A 12 point swing from being 8 points behind would result in us being 4 points ahead of Motherwell, not still 2 points behind them which 2 victories against them would mean.

Glory Lurker
29-09-2019, 07:27 PM
This place is a hoot. Two decent results and we go in to melt up!

:-)

majorhibs
29-09-2019, 08:17 PM
It's not flawed, it's just wrong.

A 12 point swing from being 8 points behind would result in us being 4 points ahead of Motherwell, not still 2 points behind them which 2 victories against them would mean.

Falkirk you were impressing me so much, then you got all technical!

majorhibs
29-09-2019, 08:19 PM
This place is a hoot. Two decent results and we go in to melt up!

:-)

I like this “melt up” quote! Cannae wait to start using it elsewhere!

judas
29-09-2019, 08:50 PM
Last year he had some very hood players on loan ...

Wait a minute!

Are you saying he had Afro Caribbean gangsters with a penchant for hip hop on the books?

That is concerning on several levels.

The_Horde
29-09-2019, 08:53 PM
Wait a minute!

Are you saying he had Afro Caribbean gangsters with a penchant for hip hop on the books?

That is concerning on several levels.

Was gonna say something in response but it was potentially a bit close to The Wire.

Percy Vere
29-09-2019, 09:47 PM

Good points, well made.
I absolutely believe that managers should get a decent run of games.
A lot of the new players were getting pelted without having even kicked a ball. Now we are seeing James, Jackson, Maxwell, Hallberg, Doidge and Vela doing well, settling into the squad. Plus real passion and commitment from PH. Plus players returning from injury getting up to fitness. So now a first team squad that are in better shape. I hope he can continue the improvement, we will see over next 5-6 games.

ScottB
29-09-2019, 09:57 PM
Every team is a work in progress, it’s not an excuse. Even huge teams are constantly losing and replacing players.

Sure, it can take some time to bed new signings in, but it’s not an excuse for languishing at the bottom of the table.

Two draws in a row have bought him some more time, but he needs to win some games, badly.

Captain Trips
29-09-2019, 10:07 PM
Good points, well made.
I absolutely believe that managers should get a decent run of games.
A lot of the new players were getting pelted without having even kicked a ball. Now we are seeing James, Jackson, Maxwell, Hallberg, Doidge and Vela doing well, settling into the squad. Plus real passion and commitment from PH. Plus players returning from injury getting up to fitness. So now a first team squad that are in better shape. I hope he can continue the improvement, we will see over next 5-6 games.

What do you mean "now we are seeing"? and "passion and commitment from PH " this of course is your opinion so can you suggest as to why on match day 7 you seem to think that's OK for it to appear and be missing for so long?

Oh and BTW some of the players you mention IMO have been doing OK from before this week.

WeeRussell
30-09-2019, 12:05 PM

haha.

We won't... Motherwell may finish third though.

IWasThere2016
30-09-2019, 12:11 PM
haha.

We won't... Motherwell may finish third though.

They are certs for Top 6 for sure