PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Celtic 28 09 19)

Jonnyboy
28-09-2019, 04:17 PM
I want to start off this week by once again thanking bigwheel who stepped in to the breach so wonderfully last Wednesday in Kilmarnock. You have a 100% win rate to cherish!

Heading off to the game today I, like pretty much every Hibs fan I guess, did so with a degree of trepidation. Although we’d won at Kilmarnock we were about to face a team with a 100% win record in the league; a team that scores goals for fun and of course a team managed by Neil Lennon, formerly of these parts. From reading the various comments, bigwheel’s report and having a detailed run down from my brother who attended, I formed the view that without setting the heather on fire we showed more spirit and togetherness at Rugby Park. Those factors would be needed in abundance against Celtic and I have to say that Hibs did not lack in either of those elements in fighting out a creditable 1-1 draw.

On my way to the turnstiles, having collected my tickets for next week’s trip to Pittodrie, I bumped in to Grant Stott whom I’ve known for a while and was introduced to his Dad who is a great character, just like his son.

By now the team line up was known and Hecky made two changes, one enforced and the other tactical. The absence of Porteous due to suspension meant that Jackson started alongside Hanlon whilst Horgan was left out by the inclusion of Scott Allan. On paper it looked a decent set up but Celtic were pretty much at full strength as well as having a seriously impressive bench.

Early half chances fell to both Edouard and Christie but neither really troubled Maxwell. Competition in the midfield area was fierce and for once, Scott Brown was not given the luxury of strolling about as both Vela and Hallberg closed him out. As a Hibs fan it’s compulsory to love the number 7 and that was the time on the scoreboard when Hibs took the lead. Jackson won a challenge in his own half and steered the ball to Scott Allan whose quick fire pass found Doidge on the right and deep in Celtic territory. The big striker tried to play a low cross into the middle but his effort struck Ajer and rolled into the net with Forster stranded. The finish had a touch of good fortune but the creation of the chance was top class.

Needless to say, Celtic were stung into action and over the next fifteen minutes or so, twice had decent attempts at goal but were denied on both occasions by good Maxwell saves. The tempo was so high that tackles were flying in and referee Clancy handed out cards like confetti. I have to say that some were soft but on another couple of occasions he brandished yellow for challenges that were as bad as, if not worse than the one that earned Porteous a straight red at Rugby Park. Clancy was awarding plenty of free kicks but seemed happy with a challenge on Forrest that resulted in Hibs gaining possession. As Mallan made to stride forward, Clancy blew for the foul and having heard the post-match interviews on Sportsound he did so, on the word of fourth official Nick Walsh. Hibs had the ball when the whistle blew and were probably entitled to expect Celtic to return it to them. They didn’t and breaking down the right, Bauer sent a deep cross to the back post which Christie powered home with a header.

The home stands were in uproar and so too, apparently was the home dugout because before the game restarted, Clancy marched across and showed Hecky a straight red card. From what I could make out in his Sportsound interview, Hecky feels the punishment was handed out after he kicked a water bottle in frustration, causing said water bottle to strike one of the assistant referee’s.

Things got worse for Hibs a few minutes later when Adam Jackson had to leave the field following a nasty looking collision of heads. With no centre half on the bench Hibs had to send Whittaker on to play alongside Hanlon. That drew groans from some sitting near me but as the game unfolded Whitty was very much up to the task.

As regards the actual play up to the half time whistle, both keepers had saves to make; Maxwell from McGregor and Forster from Mallan. When the whistle blew there was loud booing from the home stands, not aimed at the players or the manger but at the inept Kevin Clancy.

The second half very nearly started perfectly for Celtic but the unmarked McGregor took far too long to steady himself for a shot and the ball was cleared. The visitors were enjoying the bulk of possession but Hibs were dogged in the determination to keep them out. During the game, Clancy booked eight players, five of them in Celtic colours and I have to say I think he blew it not once but twice in failing to send off Celtic’s Ntcham and Brown. In the first of those instances, Ntcham and Vela came together, the Celtic man wasn’t happy with that and raised both hands to barge Vela away. Raised hands = red card. It’s not a hard decision to make for a referee that’s doing his job. In the second instance, Brown, already on a yellow, went in with a high boot on Allan. Decision given was a throw in and message received loud and clear that Clancy had again bottled it.

As the clock was running down it was inevitable that Celtic would throw everything at Hibs with Lennon making changes that increased their firepower. There was a couple of instances where luck was on our side but by and large it was effort and commitment that kept them out. Late on there were a couple of penalty shouts in Celtic’s favour and the claims looked to have some validity but Clancy waved them both aside, earning boos from all four stands at the final whistle.

As I said earlier I wasn’t at Kilmarnock and so cannot make a direct comparison but when measured against the horror show of Fir Park this performance was night and day. When the final whistle blew, Hibs deservedly left the field to a standing ovation as their efforts surely deserved that. Interestingly, the starting line up included no fewer than 7 of Hecky’s signings. There’s that number again!

The players

Maxwell – I thought he did very well, faced very few direct shots and when some did hit the target he made the saves to deny Celtic.

James – I know he’s not been universally accepted but today he must surely have convinced many of his doubters that he has something to offer. Up against Forrest and latterly Sinclair he was never found wanting. Earned the man of the match award from the sponsors and earned mine too.

Jackson – Was playing well and his part in the Hibs goal was notable but when he hit the turf following the head knock it was quickly obvious he would not be able to continue.

Hanlon – A fine performance from Paul. Celtic don’t have a big bruiser leading their line but rely on quick movement and quick feet. Paul was equal to that challenge.

Stevenson – Interesting that Celtic started with Forrest on the left. My guess is that was because he gets little or no change out of a battle with Lewis. Got forward a lot more than of late and looks as if his fitness levels have improved since his return.

Mallan – There are times when Stevie is a bit powder puff in the challenge but such instances were rare today as he got stuck in to join his team mates in stifling Brown and Ntcham.

Vela – For me, this was the best I’ve seen him as he marauded around midfield making challenges and noising up Scott Brown.

Hallberg – Another who is improving with game time. One absolutely crucial late block saved what would have been a certain goal.

Allan – Scotty was right up for it today but will go home tonight, counting his bruises. Celtic players seemed to take turn about to foul him but he kept getting up and going back for more.

Middleton – Combined well on the left with Lewis defensively and was lively when going forward.

Doidge – The big fella will sleep tonight as he put in one helluva shift. Wins a good number of headers and I just wish his team mates would anticipate the knock down a bit more often.

Whittaker – Much maligned but today he was very good indeed, looking like he’d played as a centre half all his life.

Horgan – Replaced Middleton but once again I felt his contribution was minimal.

Newell – Only got the last few minutes but kept their right back busy.

Hecky – I doubt we’ll ever know what the red card was actually for as surely kicking a water bottle which then accidentally strikes an official, should merit a ticking off at worst.

Clancy – Every time he comes to referee us I think ‘well he can’t be as bad as the last time’ only for him to prove me to be spectacularly wrong. Even the pundits on Sportsound tore him a new one.

Fans – Loads of empty seats but those that did attend were 100% behind the team and were duly rewarded by a very good performance.

GreenCastle
28-09-2019, 04:40 PM
Positives from me..

Turnstiles seem to be finally sorted.

I’ve been waiting for that performance. The players and manager will connect with the fans if they play like that most weeks.

The challenge is to use this counter attacking type game against other teams that sit in and I still feel we need to create more chances.

The new players are starting to finally settle in and Doidge gave the performance I expected from him after we signed him.

Another injury today to Jackson..not ideal but should be back maybe in 2 weeks if it was concussion.

Hallberg has really helped us improve in the middle - he’s protecting the back line and allowing Vela to roam.

Oddly I think the persistence with certain players has seen improvements but it would be good to field the same team 2 weeks in a row as it changes every week plus the back 5 seem to change every game.

Finally Maxwell has been good since coming in but I would wish he stops kicking down the middle to opposition CBS. Doidge wins more in air than Flo and would still like to see them together in the future in a 3-5-2.

Happy with the point and after being beat by Hearts and Rangers we should be getting at Aberdeen and not sitting in.

judas
28-09-2019, 06:16 PM
Great report as usual. And many thanks - as you say - to Big Wheel for filling in on Wed night.

BILLYHIBS
28-09-2019, 06:23 PM
Brilliant as usual Jonnyboy

Agree about Maxwell kicking the ball down the heart of the opposition defence and effectively giving the ball back but apart from that has done little wrong

Starting to warm to James but recall him getting turned inside out at one time in the first half and might have done better at their goal

Hanlon much improved and the much maligned Whittaker is a star

Lewis is looking fitter by the week and I thought Scott Allan looked up for it

Would like to see Doidge and Flo play together

Clancy was just Clancy for both teams an absolute joke

Happy with a point but I suspect Celtic less so

Stantons Angel
28-09-2019, 07:35 PM
The three incidents mentioned in the report happened right in front of where i was sitting.

The incident leading up to Higgingbottom being sent to the stand started with the manager having a few words with the 4th official. He was incenced at what had happened and then kicked the bottle which hit the 4th official on his leg.
He is right on his mike telling the ref what had happened and he made over to Higginbottom with the red card raised.

Nitcham clashed with Vela right in front of us, after a bit pushing Nitcham lifted his fist and struck Vela with a punch to the throat. This was right in front of Clancy who took them both aside to book them. This was a sending off if ever i've seen one!

The Scott Brown incident was a wilful attempt to hurt a player and stop him playing. He went in for the tackle with his boot high and brought the studs down Allan's leg.
Yet another sending off in my mind! It happens every week with Brown he really gets away with everything he shouldnt be getting away with!!

I will take the point and hope that fighting display is carried forward to Aberdeen next week.

The supporters today were brilliant and got right behind the team all the way. THAT is the way to support our team and as for all those who couldnt be bothered turning up.
Well i hope you all have to stand in a big queue for your semi ticket

duffers
28-09-2019, 07:53 PM
The three incidents mentioned in the report happened right in front of where i was sitting.

The incident leading up to Higgingbottom being sent to the stand started with the manager having a few words with the 4th official. He was incenced at what had happened and then kicked the bottle which hit the 4th official on his leg.
He is right on his mike telling the ref what had happened and he made over to Higginbottom with the red card raised.

Nitcham clashed with Vela right in front of us, after a bit pushing Nitcham lifted his fist and struck Vela with a punch to the throat. This was right in front of Clancy who took them both aside to book them. This was a sending off if ever i've seen one!

The Scott Brown incident was a wilful attempt to hurt a player and stop him playing. He went in for the tackle with his boot high and brought the studs down Allan's leg.
Yet another sending off in my mind! It happens every week with Brown he really gets away with everything he shouldnt be getting away with!!

I will take the point and hope that fighting display is carried forward to Aberdeen next week.

The supporters today were brilliant and got right behind the team all the way. THAT is the way to support our team and as for all those who couldnt be bothered turning up.

I said to my old man ‘ I bet he books both of them’ in relation to the incident with Vela and ntcham. There’s a video on twitter where it goes through the whole incident. How Vela is booked is a mystery in itself, but Ntcham certainly got away with one with his reactions.

In relation to browns challenge, that is a foul all day long, although I’m not entirely sure it merited a second yellow. Clancy however shat it and gave a throw 🤷*♀️.

Agree with the comment on the fans. Was good to see everyone behind the boys and hopefully this is the start of the tide turning. Hecky has had a lot of fair criticism recently, but he deserves credit today for his tactics and the teams performance

Jonnyboy
28-09-2019, 08:37 PM

:agree:

bigwheel
28-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Great report J..delighted to read it ...

I left the match, knowing we still have a long way to go, and still need some quality in our squad - but it felt like we had our Hibs back ...was proud of them today..

theonlywayisup
28-09-2019, 08:57 PM
Fans – Loads of empty seats but those that did attend were 100% behind the team and were duly rewarded by a very good performance.

Thought the fans were good today.

Maybe it's those who boycotted the match are the moaners who we can do without. Please don't rush back.

Hibeesmad
29-09-2019, 12:45 AM

Son for Spurs got a red card for the exact same thing that Ntcham did today towards the end of last season

Jonnyboy
29-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Son for Spurs got a red card for the exact same thing that Ntcham did today towards the end of last season

Aye but Clancy wasn’t the ref 😁