PDA

View Full Version : So who's going to try and compete with Scott Brown

theonlywayisup
27-09-2019, 08:09 PM
The last few years, we've had McGinn, Bartley and Milligan who were not afraid to mix it with Scott Brown.

Who's going to try and impose themselves on Brown tomorrow?

Struggling to see any of the current starters being able to compete with Brown. Is there anyone from the Development Team, who would like the battle? Or do we just let Brown do his own thing and hope he has a stinker.

What would you do?

B.H.F.C
27-09-2019, 08:12 PM
The player who has done the best job against him, surprisingly, was Horgan when we beat them 2-0 at ER last year. Played at the top of a diamond when Lennon went through that we spell of playing him centrally. Completely nullified him that day.

With that in mind, someone might surprise us. Can’t see it though.

I wouldn’t be playing Horgan though. He’s been brutal lately.

18Craig75
27-09-2019, 08:24 PM
Danny Swanson also done a job on him.

As long as Hecky realises that we need someone to do that role. Brown makes them tick when unopposed as the Scottish cup game last year at ER proved. We need someone snapping at his heels constantly. No idea who will do that for us though/

thegaffer12
27-09-2019, 08:31 PM
Hallbergs time to step up

theonlywayisup
27-09-2019, 08:32 PM
Danny Swanson also done a job on him.

As long as Hecky realises that we need someone to do that role. Brown makes them tick when unopposed as the Scottish cup game last year at ER proved. We need someone snapping at his heels constantly. No idea who will do that for us though/

The worrying thing about this is that 99.9% of Hibs.net know that you have to be competitive against Brown, yet our manager will have a different view.

judas
27-09-2019, 08:33 PM
Newell

majorhibs
27-09-2019, 08:34 PM
The last few years, we've had McGinn, Bartley and Milligan who were not afraid to mix it with Scott Brown.

Who's going to try and impose themselves on Brown tomorrow?

Struggling to see any of the current starters being able to compete with Brown. Is there anyone from the Development Team, who would like the battle? Or do we just let Brown do his own thing and hope he has a stinker.

What would you do?

Excellent question! & at this stage & with imo nothing to lose, I would be asking Scotty Allan how he fancies it, cos with current mgr Scotty’s not exactly been as effective elsewhere as I’d hoped pre season.

bingo70
27-09-2019, 08:36 PM

Hallberg is the only one that appears capable of playing the holding midfield role. Will be Scott Allan who is in the same area of the pitch as Brown if he plays so there’ll be a responsibility on him to do a job on Brown.

GreenCastle
27-09-2019, 08:38 PM
Already mentioned but Swanson had one of his best games keeping him quiet.

Hopefully one of the management know this is one of the ways to stop Celtic. Of course they have other areas to worry about but it's often a start.

Saying that we obviously didn't tell players to avoid launching it to Berra's head last week during the derby and made him look good when his weakness is on the ground as he has no pace.

Mallan v Brown ?!

Celtic fans seem to be saying their new player Frimpong who plays right back is also very good - not sure whether he will start.

BILLYHIBS
27-09-2019, 08:40 PM
I hope Hecky reads these threads

The OP is spot on!

If Hecky cares about his job he has to stick someone on Scott Brown and get in their faces from the first whistle

It is eleven versus eleven

Better to go down fighting than never to have fought at all

The high press starts tomorrow

GreenCastle
27-09-2019, 08:47 PM
A shot of target in the first half would also be an improvement.

Don't think we had one against Hearts or Killie.

I can't see a high press - probably a 4-5-1 deeper back line and playing on counter.

Will see if he learnt anything from the 6-1 game at Ibrox.

Here’s Lucy!
27-09-2019, 09:04 PM

Cliche.

He won’t even lay a finger on Scott.

Stereotypical post at it’s best (worst).

Callum_62
27-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Already mentioned but Swanson had one of his best games keeping him quiet.

Hopefully one of the management know this is one of the ways to stop Celtic. Of course they have other areas to worry about but it's often a start.

Saying that we obviously didn't tell players to avoid launching it to Berra's head last week during the derby and made him look good when his weakness is on the ground as he has no pace.

Mallan v Brown ?!

Celtic fans seem to be saying their new player Frimpong who plays right back is also very good - not sure whether he will start.My mind may be going but didn't swanson come on a latish sub and done OK?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

thegaffer12
27-09-2019, 09:52 PM
Cliche.

Any need to be condescending? Are you a superior Hibs fan then?

Viva_Palmeiras
27-09-2019, 10:04 PM
Naismith.

Hibee Mac
27-09-2019, 10:25 PM
The worrying thing is that we all know this, however Hecky will not address it either because he doesn't know or because he's completely incompetent.

Same thing against every top 6 team we've played under him he just doesn't seem to know the league or how Hibs fans expect the team to play against the big teams.

DTS
27-09-2019, 10:46 PM
Mallan was man of the match by a country mile in the 2-0 last season, omeonga wasn’t scared of him last season. I have a feeling vela will fancy it tomorrow seems the type, wether he channels it correctly I’m not sure. We played well in the 0-0 game start of the split against them so I think he has a rough idea of how to set up.

FilipinoHibs
28-09-2019, 01:27 AM
Vela he can put himself about and looks as if he can handle himself when handbags kicks off.

theonlywayisup
28-09-2019, 07:01 AM
Vela he can put himself about and looks as if he can handle himself when handbags kicks off.

I think you are likely to be correct. However, the prospect of seeing Vela or Malian trying to compete with Brown doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Brightside
28-09-2019, 07:08 AM
Any need to be condescending? Are you a superior Hibs fan then?

No just another of that lot.

BILLYHIBS
28-09-2019, 07:12 AM
Bring back Matty Jack

Should never had let Bartley go

He looks a player getting regular game time

:cb

Paisley Hibby
28-09-2019, 07:46 AM
The worrying thing is that we all know this, however Hecky will not address it either because he doesn't know or because he's completely incompetent.

Same thing against every top 6 team we've played under him he just doesn't seem to know the league or how Hibs fans expect the team to play against the OTHER big teams.

Fixed that for you 😄

danhibees1875
28-09-2019, 07:49 AM
Probably Vela. I assume we'll just play the same team as against killie - but Jackson in for Porteous.

Still hoping to see 2 upfront. Although that could backfire if he tries it and decides it doesn't work on the basis of it not being enough to get through Celtic.

Cabbage East
28-09-2019, 07:52 AM
Cliche.

Barely coherent.

Weegreenman
28-09-2019, 07:55 AM
We won’t get anywhere near Broony. Our press consists of closing one player down at a time, instead of pressing as a unit.
Celtic will pass through us today and although I don’t think we’ll get hammered, an easy day at the office it will be for Celtic.

0-2 😞

B.H.F.C
28-09-2019, 07:56 AM
We won’t get anywhere near Broony. Our press consists of closing one player down at a time, instead of pressing as a unit.
Celtic will pass through us today and although I don’t think we’ll get hammered, an easy day at the office it will be for Celtic.

0-2 😞

That’s exactly how I see it. Similar to the cup game last season where we won’t lay a glove on them.

we are hibs
28-09-2019, 07:59 AM
My mind may be going but didn't swanson come on a latish sub and done OK?

He started because allan was ineligible being on loan from celtic.

Callum_62
28-09-2019, 08:27 AM
He started because allan was ineligible being on loan from celtic.Maybe he came off as a latish sub? [emoji23][emoji23]

Keith_M
28-09-2019, 09:04 AM
Horgan.

where'stheslope
28-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Put 2 players on Brown and you've given Celtic an extra player out wide!
Try and man mark him, and they just bypass him to fast running players!
The outcome is always the same, at the moment its what Celtic team turns up?
We've got the same chance as any other team against them, but you must take your chances and hope they have an off day!!!!!

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-09-2019, 10:21 AM
Nothing wrong in looking to rile him and wind him up.

B.H.F.C
28-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Nothing wrong in looking to rile him and wind him up.

We’ve nobody with the brains to do it properly. Someone will try and get booked after five minutes.

Here’s Lucy!
28-09-2019, 10:52 AM
Barely coherent.

How so?

Sioux
28-09-2019, 10:53 AM
You'd think we were playing against Messi the way this thread has gone.

Phil MaGlass
28-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Its no Messi its Broonaldo👍

Helensburghhibs
28-09-2019, 06:22 PM
Has brooney appeared from Scott Allan's back pocket yet?

The Harp Awakes
28-09-2019, 06:31 PM
Has brooney appeared from Scott Allan's back pocket yet?

Not sure if Brown was winding him up but Scotty was certainly getting stuck in today. If he could add that to his game more often he'd be the complete player.

weecounty hibby
28-09-2019, 06:55 PM
Not sure if Brown was winding him up but Scotty was certainly getting stuck in today. If he could add that to his game more often he'd be the complete player.
I thought both Scotty and Brown both played very well. It was a good contest in the middle of the park with different styles but our midfield did well against one of, if not the strongest in Scotland

Brightside
29-09-2019, 08:16 AM
Brown should have been sent off. His studs up tackle in the second half would have been a booking any other time.

One Day Soon
29-09-2019, 08:26 AM
Brown should have been sent off. His studs up tackle in the second half would have been a booking any other time.

Just one of many decisions the referee bottled or completely misjudged.

wookie70
29-09-2019, 08:49 AM
There looked to be a foul which could easily have been a booking for Brown right on the edge of the Celtc box after good interplay between Stevenson and Middleton down the left. Allan was running full tilt and Brown blocked/tripped him just as he was going into the area. Looked very clear at the game and nothing given. I usually criticise Allan for too many low percentage passes and not closing or getting stuck in. He was excellent yesterday and I thought the battle with Brown was good to watch with both players winning out in what they are good at. Allan was fantastic with his touch and the majority of his passing was quick, fairly simple and very accurate. Brown won the battle of the muscles and had a very good game despite not winning all his battles with Scottie. More of the same Scottie.

Scotty Leither
29-09-2019, 08:51 AM

At least 2 of the Hibs players pointed that out to the referee, motioning to him that Brown went in over the ball. Clancy wasn't interested though, he'd lost the plot by that time and his eyes looked like they were playing tig.