PDA

View Full Version : Players/Managers who have turned it around

Tommy75
26-09-2019, 08:39 PM
It has been said that last night was a turning point. It got me thinking about players/managers who have managed to turn it around when 99% of fans want them out.

Can anyone think of any examples of a player or manager who has went from being seen as a complete failure by fans to being a hero? I'm not wanting to start a debate about whether or not Hecky will turn it round just looking for examples as I was struggling to think of any?

The 90+2
26-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Neil Lennon at Celtic.

NadeAteMyLunch!
26-09-2019, 08:43 PM
SAF at Man Utd prob the best example

Jim44
26-09-2019, 08:45 PM
I’ve a feeling the Jambos will be warming slightly to Levein as beating us in one game is about 30% of their season. Their ‘success’ against Aberdeen will have reinforced this but I’m certain it will be a false dawn.

Iggy Pope
26-09-2019, 08:46 PM
Several Celtic fans I know advised me that we could ‘have Scott Brown back’ anytime we liked a few months in to his time with them. They don’t say that now. Cretins.

angus hibby
27-09-2019, 08:11 AM
Pretty sure the current Norwich manager struggled at the
start and their fans wanted him out.

Smartie
27-09-2019, 08:16 AM
My mate who supports Dundee United has had a complete about turn regarding Robbie Neilson.

Hiber-nation
27-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Long time ago but Howard Kendall at Everton.

calumhibee1
27-09-2019, 09:03 AM
My mate who supports Dundee United has had a complete about turn regarding Robbie Neilson.

They were always going to end up a decent side with him in charge imo.

Northernhibee
27-09-2019, 09:06 AM
Alan Stubbs.

Twice he was under massive pressure. The first time he went on an almighty undefeated run including a 4-0 win against Rangers, the second time he won us the Scottish Cup.

HibbyAndy
27-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Pretty sure the current Norwich manager struggled at the
start and their fans wanted him out.

:agree:

They wanted him sacked after a garbage start

theonlywayisup
27-09-2019, 10:25 AM
SAF at Man Utd prob the best example

Yes, without doubt, the best example. Was he not one game (the FA Cup replay) away from being emptied at Man United. The rest is history...........

At Hibs, the obvious example is Alex Miller. In the days before Hibs.net, there were many that were not impressed with his brand of football or the results. Then he won us the cup and his team from 1994 was one of the most exciting teams that we've seen at Easter Road.

The 90+2
27-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Alan Stubbs.

Twice he was under massive pressure. The first time he went on an almighty undefeated run including a 4-0 win against Rangers, the second time he won us the Scottish Cup.

I don’t agree he was under massive pressure. He had a massive overhaul and job to do to turn the club around and the signs were there from the start.

Wilson
27-09-2019, 10:29 AM
Several Celtic fans I know advised me that we could ‘have Scott Brown back’ anytime we liked a few months in to his time with them. They don’t say that now. Cretins.

Celtic fans told me John McGinn was ***** when we were holding out for more money. They are an odd breed.

Newry Hibs
27-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Bobby Robson at England. Press tried to destroy him before he got them to the semi finals in 1990.

Baker9
27-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Alex Miller dragged us from the foot of the table and built a good squad.

Vault Boy
27-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Celtic fans told me John McGinn was ***** when we were holding out for more money. They are an odd breed.

They hold the weirdest standards for players they deem befitting for their club. The amount of them that thought Christie, McGinn or Griffiths weren't 'good enough' for the great Glasgow Celtic. 🙄

Northernhibee
27-09-2019, 11:45 AM
I don’t agree he was under massive pressure. He had a massive overhaul and job to do to turn the club around and the signs were there from the start.
You'd be wrong then, people were calling for him to be sacked before he won us the cup and also questioned him after our terrible start to his first season.

jacomo
27-09-2019, 12:01 PM
Neil Lennon at Celtic.

Gordon Strachan at Celtc.

Smartie
27-09-2019, 12:20 PM
They were always going to end up a decent side with him in charge imo.

I agree, and he was always going to have a tough time initially after inheriting a bit of a shambles.

Patience was wearing thin as they faced a 4th year in the Championship though and he wasn't going to get long to turn it around.

The 90+2
27-09-2019, 12:24 PM
You'd be wrong then, people were calling for him to be sacked before he won us the cup and also questioned him after our terrible start to his first season.

Hardly loads of pressure by the support in comparison with Hecky and the majority that think he’s an utter dud?

The 90+2
27-09-2019, 12:25 PM
Gordon Strachan at Celtc.

Shout 👍

JimBHibees
27-09-2019, 01:12 PM
Bobby Robson at England. Press tried to destroy him before he got them to the semi finals in 1990.

Mike Bassett would be another shout. :greengrin

Zazu62
27-09-2019, 01:16 PM
Paul Heckingbottom at Hibs went on to win 2 cups in his first full season what a guy now manages Man United

Viva_Palmeiras
27-09-2019, 01:45 PM
Google this thread title and you’ll find (amongst others)

Tony Paulis
Robbie Neilson
Martin Allen Iirc

Frazerbob
27-09-2019, 01:54 PM

A few idiots apart, Stubbs was never under the kind of pressure Hecky is now, or indeed how I’m reading the OP. Had we lost the final however I suspect he would’ve been.

theonlywayisup
27-09-2019, 02:08 PM
Google this thread title and you’ll find (amongst others)

Tony Paulis
Robbie Neilson
Martin Allen Iirc

Was he the one who managed to earn a money spinning replay at a lower league team after being two nil up with 10 minutes to go? Legend!!

Viva_Palmeiras
27-09-2019, 03:44 PM
Was he the one who managed to earn a money spinning replay at a lower league team after being two nil up with 10 minutes to go? Legend!!

It was an MK Dons fan wot wrote about the Money-Spinner - post money spin.

Here’s Lucy!
27-09-2019, 04:29 PM
Zidane is not doing too bad at Madrid this season, considering he was apparently ‘on a shoogly peg’!

eastmainsmsh
27-09-2019, 06:30 PM
roy race Melchester rovers a few times 🚕

stokesmessiah
27-09-2019, 06:35 PM
Zidane is not doing too bad at Madrid this season, considering he was apparently ‘on a shoogly peg’!

Is this a joke??

Here’s Lucy!
27-09-2019, 07:13 PM
Is this a joke??

Tongue in cheek, shall we say? :greengrin :wink:

majorhibs
27-09-2019, 08:01 PM
Yes, without doubt, the best example. Was he not one game (the FA Cup replay) away from being emptied at Man United. The rest is history...........

At Hibs, the obvious example is Alex Miller. In the days before Hibs.net, there were many that were not impressed with his brand of football or the results. Then he won us the cup and his team from 1994 was one of the most exciting teams that we've seen at Easter Road.

C’mon nae rewriting history! Miller was an excellent coach not mgr who got far too long at Hibs! If you fervently watched every single game of his tenure you’d be same as me- why the F so defensive aw the F’in time Alex when you’ve got players that’ll achieve sae much more if you only unleash ‘em?

hibsbollah
27-09-2019, 08:09 PM
Wenger. In his first job struggled at Nancy for three seasons culminating in their relegation. Then seemed to find his mojo at Monaco, in Japan and then of course the Arse. When you think about it his career was a bit crap at either end and great in the middle.