PDA

View Full Version : Ollie Shaw

Bangkok Hibby
26-09-2019, 06:50 AM
Didn't see the game but from what I can gather he missed a sitter then missed a penalty. I really like the laddie and thought he would kick on this season but I don't feel he's been given a proper chance. His confidence must now be at an all time low. Do people think he'll ever be given a few games to show what he can do or too late now?

H18 SFR
26-09-2019, 06:53 AM
Describing it as a sitter is a bit harsh. His penalty was poor, absolutely did not look confident stepping up.

Bangkok Hibby
26-09-2019, 06:54 AM
Describing it as a sitter is a bit harsh. His penalty was poor, absolutely did not look confident stepping up.

Sorry, just what I gathered from the few reports I've managed to see.

bigwheel
26-09-2019, 06:56 AM
Didn't see the game but from what I can gather he missed a sitter then missed a penalty. I really like the laddie and thought he would kick on this season but I don't feel he's been given a proper chance. His confidence must now be at an all time low. Do people think he'll ever be given a few games to show what he can do or too late now?

Didn’t look like a sitter from our end ..Doidge made a great lay off and Shaw lacked composure
to hit the target with the shot ..that said, I thought we looked more dangerous with him on the park .. brought fa bit of spark and energy to our forward play that was missing ...he does need game time though . I’d expect him to get a chance between now and January

Peevemor
Sitter? What the shot he put wide after Doidge's back heel?

The shot was poor but it definitely wasn't a sitter.

H18 SFR
Sorry, just what I gathered from the few reports I've managed to see.

I know, opinions and all that. The double sub actually positively impacted on the game for Hibs, for 10-15 mins we got a foothold in the game until Killie made a change to counter it.

Bangkok Hibby
26-09-2019, 06:59 AM
So thanks, I now know it wasn't a sitter. I'm glad about that because I'm concerned for the boy's confidence. As I said I really like him and hope he has a lot to offer Hibs.

hibeejeebies
26-09-2019, 07:24 AM
Thought he looked bright when he came on.

B.H.F.C
26-09-2019, 07:36 AM

I would have assumed his header at the back post from a James cross was what is being referred to. It was our only real chance and, whilst I wouldn’t describe it as a sitter, it was a pretty tame effort. Like his penalty, no belief.

judas
26-09-2019, 07:40 AM
Is Shaw any worse than Kamberi or Doidge? Not convinced that he is tbh.

Helensburghhibs
26-09-2019, 07:42 AM
Shaw and Allan coming on put us on the front foot. Oli actually had a big impact on the left. To describe his header or shot as a sitter is a stretch of the imagination

makaveli1875
26-09-2019, 07:44 AM

He's a better goal scorer at this level than Doidge, better footballer as well.

The Modfather
26-09-2019, 08:03 AM

The problem is, I don’t think he’s any better either. He’s not been helped in his development with the shambles of this season and last. At the same time you only have to look at Ryan Porteous who has thrived despite the shambles. He’s not kicked on the last few years and his development has stalled. It’s probably best for all parties he moves on at the end of the season as think he could forge a career for himself as a very good bottom 6 striker, similar to Kris Doolan.

supermcginn
26-09-2019, 08:38 AM

Doidge played well last night and needs a run of games. Shaw's hardly been seen all season for a reason and his penalty summed him up, not good enough.

Allant1981
26-09-2019, 08:39 AM

Considering doidge hasnt even played a quarter of a season up here yet I'd expect shaw to have a better record

Brightside
26-09-2019, 08:42 AM

He is nowhere near as good a footballer as Doidge.

Daydreamer
26-09-2019, 08:44 AM
Doidge won 80% of high balls knocked forward to him last night what has been missing all season. Its just a pity Kamberi was'nt there to run on to them. I still would like to see these two up front for a whole game. Doidge also looked like he has gained a bit more steel.

Since452
26-09-2019, 08:53 AM
I know it's been covered a million times but I'd love to see Shaw go out on loan to see what he can do playing every week.

Bangkok Hibby
26-09-2019, 09:21 AM
I know it's been covered a million times but I'd love to see Shaw go out on loan to see what he can do playing every week.

I wasn't keen on this and wanted him to get a run of games. That hasn't happened and it looks like it won't so maybe a loan spell could be the making of him.

Peevemor
26-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Doidge won 80% of high balls knocked forward to him last night what has been missing all season. Its just a pity Kamberi was'nt there to run on to them. I still would like to see these two up front for a whole game. Doidge also looked like he has gained a bit more steel.

I think they could do well together.

Flo's been grafting away on his own and it obviously hasn't been working. Doidge showed last night that he's capabale of putting in a shift and his wee backheel to Shaw last night showed an awarenesss that's been missing in the final 3rd of the pitch.

I'll search comfort where I can. :greengrin

Brightside
26-09-2019, 09:24 AM
I think they could do well together.

Flo's been grafting away on his own and it obviously hasn't been working. Doidge showed last night that he's capabale of putting in a shift and his wee backheel to Shaw last night showed an awarenesss that's been missing in the final 3rd of the pitch.

I'll search comfort where I can. :greengrin

Doidge and mcnulty would have been perfect.

Diclonius
26-09-2019, 09:27 AM
We need to play two up front.

J-C
26-09-2019, 09:31 AM
There was rumours PH was trying to punt him and use his money to bring someone else in, if this is the case then Ollie may well be shot confidence wise, also take of Murray falling out due to not going in loan. Young Mackie and Stirling punted out on loan, apart from Porteous the young lads are getting no chances while his duds fill the bench.

Peevemor
26-09-2019, 09:40 AM
Doidge and mcnulty would have been perfect.

Above all, I think playing in front of Scott Allan would have brought the best out in McNulty, who's excellent at "reading the line" and springing offside traps

BlackSheep
26-09-2019, 09:46 AM
Before the pens, i though to myself 'I hope Oli doesn't take one'... His confidence in the first team isn't at its greatest level and he made a few mistakes during the game that he would have done without a blink in the reserve team, but he seems to second guess himself in the first team.

I think there is a player in there, but i think he needs some time under the wing of an experienced striker, who has been there and done that, who can walk him through his game and speak from experience... something we don't really have.

SlickShoes
26-09-2019, 10:19 AM
Before the pens, i though to myself 'I hope Oli doesn't take one'... His confidence in the first team isn't at its greatest level and he made a few mistakes during the game that he would have done without a blink in the reserve team, but he seems to second guess himself in the first team.

I think there is a player in there, but i think he needs some time under the wing of an experienced striker, who has been there and done that, who can walk him through his game and speak from experience... something we don't really have.

The time for that is slowly creeping away now, he is 21 and still doesn't seem to be able to perform consistently when he gets a chance in the first team.

Doidge and Kamberi are both better players, I don't think playing Shaw wide does him any favours either. He did better than Middleton and Horgan last night at least but they both had awful games too.

You see footage of him scoring goals in the development team and taking touches that are instinct or luck? but in the first team his finishing in general is poor and he looks lost far too often.

Smartie
26-09-2019, 10:23 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a player who needs to go on loan and get the type of experience you describe more than I see with Shaw.

He's clearly got something but he needs games to step up a level and at the moment he's simply not good enough and we can't afford to be carrying such a raw "work in progress".

Having said that, I don't want to write him off. There's something there.

Lago
26-09-2019, 12:13 PM

So it should at least been on target?

Gloucester Hibs
26-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Not a sitter but he should've worked the keeper. Didn't Mallan have a similar one but it landed on his left foot?

MrRobot
26-09-2019, 01:17 PM
I feel a loan move for Shaw is make or break for his career at Hibs.

Mr_F
26-09-2019, 01:20 PM
File under Alex Harris, Danny Handling etc etc

Nowhere near good enough for us if we have genuine aspirations of being a top 4 side.

J-C
26-09-2019, 01:52 PM
Always amazes me when we moan about not enough coming through our system but at the same time we demand instant success. Young players need game time but the Dev league stifled the better ones, only 1 or 2 will make an immediate impact, others develop at a different rate. Shaw was miles ahead of anyone at 17-18 but wasn't ready for the step up, that's when a loan should've happened.

percy veer
26-09-2019, 01:56 PM

I thought that myself, problem with shaw is he has no power at all on his shots, seen it various times last season when he could have put the laces through it , it trickles through to the keeper

Since452
26-09-2019, 01:58 PM
File under Alex Harris, Danny Handling etc etc

Nowhere near good enough for us if we have genuine aspirations of being a top 4 side.

Sadly i agree. If Shaw signed for Aberdeen or Hearts would i be concerned? No. If he lined up against us for Ross County would i be worried? No. The blunt truth is he isn't good enough. If he was a Lennon/Heckingbottom signing and not a product of the youth system he's be getting a seriously hard time.

DavidDavidGray
26-09-2019, 05:05 PM
He’s not good enough, hate to say it because I had such high hopes when he broke through with the goal against Celtic at Hampden but he he hasn’t scored since Dempster ‘one of the best young strikers in Europe’ comment and has repeatedly messed up chances under Heckingbottom, not just missing shots but completely stalling and ruining chances. Would love it if he started scoring again and made me look stupid, but don’t think he’ll make it at Hibs sadly. Definitely talent there but just don’t see him recapturing form

Ardenttwo
26-09-2019, 06:55 PM
There was rumours PH was trying to punt him and use his money to bring someone else in, if this is the case then Ollie may well be shot confidence wise, also take of Murray falling out due to not going in loan. Young Mackie and Stirling punted out on loan, apart from Porteous the young lads are getting no chances while his duds fill the bench.

Spoke to an Arbroath diehard who was telling me the two lads on loan there are really good footballers I know Campbell is one but cannot remember the other one Anyway in his opinion both will in the Premier League shortly

J-C
26-09-2019, 06:58 PM
Spoke to an Arbroath diehard who was telling me the two lads on loan there are really good footballers I know Campbell is one but cannot remember the other one Anyway in his opinion both will in the Premier League shortly

Ben Stirling is the other, looked good early this season and is a DM.

jacomo
26-09-2019, 09:52 PM
Ben Stirling is the other, looked good early this season and is a DM.

We’ve also got Tommy Block and the highly rated guy from st Johnstone, Jack Hodge, out on loan. Both midfielders.

J-C
26-09-2019, 09:55 PM
We’ve also got Tommy Block and the highly rated guy from st Johnstone, Jack Hodge, out on loan. Both midfielders.

Maybe, just maybe someone has the balls the play the better ones in the team and lets see what they have, they can't be any worse than the dross he's brought in.

jacomo
26-09-2019, 10:15 PM
Maybe, just maybe someone has the balls the play the better ones in the team and lets see what they have, they can't be any worse than the dross he's brought in.

When we were stalling on bringing in another midfielder, and Hecky was telling us our business was done, I honestly thought that was the reason.

Never thought we’d send all 4 out on loan, plus Mackie. Oh and he wanted to punt Shaw as well.