PDA

View Full Version : Tom James - Heckingbottoms best signing and been missed

California-Hibs
25-09-2019, 09:39 PM
As it says on the tin. Thought he played well tonight and has been decent in the other games ive seen him. Has a lot of composure on the ball with good passing ability.

Thoughts?

Spike Mandela
25-09-2019, 09:46 PM
Can he or Naismith play a sitting mid?

Northernhibee
25-09-2019, 09:49 PM
I thought Doidge was good tonight as well. Hopefully Newell gains confidence from a top drawer penalty as I think that there is a player in there (but that one is totally on a hunch).

I’d love nothing better than a hard fought draw or better at the weekend (very unlikely) and a turning point. I do think that somewhere in amongst our personnel is a good team.

MrRobot
25-09-2019, 09:49 PM
played well tonight, definitely been missed.

PercyHibs
25-09-2019, 10:14 PM
Between James and Doidge for MoTM. Both excellent. A couple of wingers to get crosses into Doidge and we may just have a team.

My_Wife_Camille
25-09-2019, 10:18 PM
Tom James looks like he could be a good signing but Doidge was a big honking jobby. Did nothing apart from foul, hand ball and give the ball away.

neil7908
25-09-2019, 10:20 PM
You have to ask though - why did we sign Naismith then? We have more right backs than forwards.

B.H.F.C
25-09-2019, 10:25 PM
Tom James looks like he could be a good signing but Doidge was a big honking jobby. Did nothing apart from foul, hand ball and give the ball away.

Won about 90% of the headers he went for. Nobody gambling on the second ball at all from midfield.

James looks a better player than Naismith for me.

jeffers
25-09-2019, 10:37 PM
I haven't been impressed with him at all so glad to hear he played well tonight and look forward to him doing so again on Saturday.

Hiber-nation
25-09-2019, 11:45 PM
Very tidy and good on the ball. Will no doubt struggle against pace though.

Iggy Pope
25-09-2019, 11:46 PM
I haven't been impressed with him at all so glad to hear he played well tonight and look forward to him doing so again on Saturday.

I have to ask, politely mind. When was the game you weren’t impressed with him?

jeffers
26-09-2019, 12:12 AM
I have to ask, politely mind. When was the game you weren’t impressed with him?

Those will be the games he played in where some others saw enough to decide he was a good signing.

kaimendhibs
26-09-2019, 12:18 AM
Tom James looks like he could be a good signing but Doidge was a big honking jobby. Did nothing apart from foul, hand ball and give the ball away.Disagree about Doidge. Wins his headers and gets stuck in. Pity Kamberi doesnt

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Shrekko
26-09-2019, 12:36 AM
Disagree about Doidge. Wins his headers and gets stuck in. Pity Kamberi doesnt

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Think if Doidge had started v Hearts we could well have won. Not saying he’s a world beater but he may have done more with the ‘service’ Kamberi got.

CMurdoch
26-09-2019, 12:38 AM
Other than the win tonight and the confidence and relief that will bring, it was importantly another game for James, Doidge, Hallberg, Newell, Porteous, Middleton & Maxwell who for a variety of reason have not played much football.

Iggy Pope
26-09-2019, 12:42 AM
Those will be the games he played in where some others saw enough to decide he was a good signing.

Not any game you seen then rather than others forming your opinion for you it seems. You’ve not seen him play much have you? Again, politely asking.

jeffers
26-09-2019, 12:53 AM
Not any game you seen then rather than others forming your opinion for you it seems. You’ve not seen him play much have you? Again, politely asking.

And I'll ask you in return, politely mind, what are you on about ? On one hand you are saying I haven't seen him play then in your next sentence you say I've not seen him play much. Make up your mind, what one is it ?

California-Hibs
26-09-2019, 01:35 AM
I agree with what folk are saying about Doidge tonight, I definitely think he could be useful, certainly won almost all his headers and put himself about well

CMurdoch
26-09-2019, 02:17 AM
I agree with what folk are saying about Doidge tonight, I definitely think he could be useful, certainly won almost all his headers and put himself about well

I think the manager needs to be brave and play a diamond of Doidge as his poacher with Kamberi and Middleton either side of him playing middle to front and Allan in the middle just behind them.

We simply must start making chances for our forwards to score goals and leaving them isolated and shelling balls at them as we are currently won't cut it.

JackHibs
26-09-2019, 02:56 AM
It's not unusual for Tom James to play midfield. Oh gawd not that old pun again. If only for that reason he has been missed. :thumbsup:

That's going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day now :dizzy:

California-Hibs
26-09-2019, 03:42 AM
I think the manager needs to be brave and play a diamond of Doidge as his poacher with Kamberi and Middleton either side of him playing middle to front and Allan in the middle just behind them.

We simply must start making chances for our forwards to score goals and leaving them isolated and shelling balls at them as we are currently won't cut it.

Couldn't agree more! This team is crying out to be playing in a diamond with Kamberi and Doidge on the field together!

theonlywayisup
26-09-2019, 06:32 AM

Is there any need to use such language?

MWHIBBIES
26-09-2019, 06:37 AM
Couldn't agree more! This team is crying out to be playing in a diamond with Kamberi and Doidge on the field together!

I agree but there is no position for Boyle, Horgan or Middleton in a diamond.

Heisenberg
26-09-2019, 06:43 AM

That would be fine with me. Horgan and Middleton have been poor and Boyle won’t be back for ages.

Smartie
26-09-2019, 07:03 AM

Kennedy was probably our brightest player for the first 10 games in the Championship. There was no place for him in a diamond but suddenly we started to see more from Allan, Malonga and Cummings. A lot more, in fact we went from a toiling side who huffed and puffed to a pretty handy one.

I have a hunch that the players you mention might need to be sacrificed for the sake of the team.

The Spaceman
26-09-2019, 07:06 AM
I agree, he added a much needed calmness to our defence yesterday.

Iggy Pope
26-09-2019, 10:32 AM
And I'll ask you in return, politely mind, what are you on about ? On one hand you are saying I haven't seen him play then in your next sentence you say I've not seen him play much. Make up your mind, what one is it ?

The games seen him play (LC ties, Carlisle, early part of the St Mirren game) I thought he was looking decent and scored a very well taken goal v Alloa. Now, which game or games was it that he didn’t impress you as you’ve remarked? That’s what I asked you and that’s what I’m on about but you seem reluctant to answer.
When didn’t he impress you?

B.H.F.C
26-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Kennedy was probably our brightest player for the first 10 games in the Championship. There was no place for him in a diamond but suddenly we started to see more from Allan, Malonga and Cummings. A lot more, in fact we went from a toiling side who huffed and puffed to a pretty handy one.

I have a hunch that the players you mention might need to be sacrificed for the sake of the team.

Said after the game last night that, for the moment, we need to forget the idea of wingers. We’re getting pretty much nothing from them.

A diamond in the middle of the park has to be a shout.

jeffers
26-09-2019, 11:19 AM
The games seen him play (LC ties, Carlisle, early part of the St Mirren game) I thought he was looking decent and scored a very well taken goal v Alloa. Now, which game or games was it that he didn’t impress you as you’ve remarked? That’s what I asked you and that’s what I’m on about but you seem reluctant to answer.
When didn’t he impress you?

I saw him in person (for the avoidance of any doubt) at the Alloa and St Mirren games. Looked to be neat and tidy on the ball, but had no real drive or pace and didn’t look great defensively to me - an assessment shared by others on this forum. He was unlucky to be injured v St Mirren from a very poor challenge but up to that point I thought he wasn’t doing great against their wide man.

If he showed something different to that last night and continues to show that then I’ll be happy to change my initial assessment about him. As I said in my initial post on this thread I’ll look forward to seeing a similar performance on Saturday.

MyJo
26-09-2019, 11:23 AM

4-2-3-1?

_______________Marciano

James____Porteous____Jackson____Stevenson

___________Hallberg___Vela

___Position 1____Allan____Position 2

_________________Doidge

Boyle, Middleton, Mallan, Horgan, Murray & Newell competing for those two positions.

Mallan & Murray capable of filling in for Allan if he is injured or unavailable.

Kamberi & Shaw could also fill in those positions if needed while leaving Doidge up front as a penalty box striker that the midfield three supply with through-balls or crosses to attack.

Sammy7nil
26-09-2019, 04:21 PM

Very tidy and good on the ball. Will no doubt struggle against pace though.

Glad to here he played well, looked slow against St Mirren hopefully he was just lacking a bit fitness then.

MWHIBBIES
26-09-2019, 04:22 PM
4-2-3-1?

_______________Marciano

James____Porteous____Jackson____Stevenson

___________Hallberg___Vela

___Position 1____Allan____Position 2

_________________Doidge

Boyle, Middleton, Mallan, Horgan, Murray & Newell competing for those two positions.

Mallan & Murray capable of filling in for Allan if he is injured or unavailable.

Kamberi & Shaw could also fill in those positions if needed while leaving Doidge up front as a penalty box striker that the midfield three supply with through-balls or crosses to attack.

4231 is not a diamond

jacomo
26-09-2019, 04:45 PM
4231 is not a diamond

Is it a pentagon or pentagram?

MyJo
26-09-2019, 05:20 PM
4231 is not a diamond

Never said it was, I was suggesting it as an alternative that would accommodate the players you mention that we want in the team but wouldn't work well in a diamond

hibbysam
26-09-2019, 05:27 PM
Never said it was, I was suggesting it as an alternative that would accommodate the players you mention that we want in the team but wouldn't work well in a diamond

And the same formation we’ve been playing and creating very little in.

MyJo
26-09-2019, 06:24 PM
And the same formation we’ve been playing and creating very little in.

I think we've been trying to play more in a 4-3-3 with the lone striker acting as a target man and the two other attacking players acting as wingers.

the 4231 formation would sacrifice a bit of forward width with the three attacking midfielders sitting deeper and narrower to receive the ball while the lone striker looks to get in behind the defence rather than playing with his back to goal.

The attacking midfielders can carry the ball out to the wing to get crosses in when we are in possession and can press full backs who are carrying the ball down their side of the pitch but wouldn't stay out wide at all times.

The striker can then concentrate on playing on the shoulder of the last defender and making attacking runs rather than battling with centre halves to get their head on hoofed punts from our defence which 90% of defenders in the premiership will absolutely lap up.

Hibee Mac
26-09-2019, 06:32 PM
I think we've been trying to play more in a 4-3-3 with the lone striker acting as a target man and the two other attacking players acting as wingers.

the 4231 formation would sacrifice a bit of forward width with the three attacking midfielders sitting deeper and narrower to receive the ball while the lone striker looks to get in behind the defence rather than playing with his back to goal.

The attacking midfielders can carry the ball out to the wing to get crosses in when we are in possession and can press full backs who are carrying the ball down their side of the pitch but wouldn't stay out wide at all times.

The striker can then concentrate on playing on the shoulder of the last defender and making attacking runs rather than battling with centre halves to get their head on hoofed punts from our defence which 90% of defenders in the premiership will absolutely lap up.

I think he's moved to trying 4-2-3-1 in the last 2/3 games, 100% played this against Hearts till the changes and by all accounts did the same yesterday.

He seems very reluctant to play 2 up top so we'll probably be stuck with various versions of 4-3-3 till he's punted

Springbank
26-09-2019, 07:55 PM
Think Doidge & Cummings as a front two would have won the game for us in the derby

BILLYHIBS
26-09-2019, 08:36 PM
Think Doidge & Cummings as a front two would have won the game for us in the derby

I do not think you are far wrong there but I do not think Hecky wanted Cummings

erin go bragh
26-09-2019, 08:37 PM
Kennedy🤔 was probably our brightest player for the first 10 games in the Championship. There was no place for him in a diamond but suddenly we started to see more from Allan, Malonga and Cummings. A lot more, in fact we went from a toiling side who huffed and puffed to a pretty handy one.

Been racking my brain but can’t think who this Kennedy is 😳
Could be a brain freeze on my part .

BILLYHIBS
26-09-2019, 08:39 PM

Is it not the same Kennedy that is currently at St Johnstone?

Matt Kennedy ex Evertonian

Smartie
26-09-2019, 09:18 PM

Matt Kennedy, was on loan from Everton and now at St Johnstone.

He had a very good game against us the other week.

We'd started out life in the Championship playing a formation like the one we're playing now, with similar success. Kennedy was playing wide and was looking half-decent. He was probably affected badly by Farid's injury so he didn't have a target man to get on the end of crosses. I think Kennedy might have been injured or suspended, Stubbs went with the diamond and (along with Scott Allan getting fitter) we started to look like a team. TBH once that team had bedded in it played some great stuff around that time, I remember starting to enjoy the football again for the first time in years.

5 years ago now.....

jeffers
28-09-2019, 01:42 PM
Wasn’t impressed with him in other games, but thought he had a really good game today. Composed and made his tackles when required. Scott Allan was my MoM today but James wasn’t fair behind.

Not In The Know
28-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Hopefully the lower league boys from down south are now getting to grips with the game up here....

Allant1981
28-09-2019, 01:47 PM
Wasn’t impressed with him in other games, but thought he had a really good game today. Composed and made his tackles when required. Scott Allan was my MoM today but James wasn’t fair behind.

He was good against killie also I thought, pity he wasnt a bit tighter for the goal though

Doh Rae Me
28-09-2019, 01:48 PM
Looked about 3 foot tall for the goal

jeffers
28-09-2019, 01:48 PM
He was good against killie also I thought, pity he wasnt a bit tighter for the goal though

Yeah I heard that. Thought the team as whole switched off for their goal

yerauldda
28-09-2019, 01:49 PM
He was absolute outstanding. I’d said it before his injury that he looked a class act. It’s no coincidence that we have played better the last two games. He has everything you want in a right back. Hate to say it but he’s the end of David gray.

MWHIBBIES
28-09-2019, 01:55 PM
Called it from day one and was told he lacked urgency :faf:

Great young player. Great old one too actually.

Iggy Pope
28-09-2019, 02:00 PM

Looked a bit slack with the challenge at their goal but steady nonetheless. Otherwise the side were pretty good defensively after shuffling things about due to the Jackson injury. (Who took his seat later in the stand so hopefully recovering).

judas
28-09-2019, 02:01 PM
I watched him closely today. He’s a player.

jeffers
28-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Called it from day one and was told he lacked urgency :faf:

Great young player. Great old one too actually.

I still think he does, but that’s clearly his style, he backs off a lot before making a challenge.

MWHIBBIES
28-09-2019, 02:04 PM
I still think he does, but that’s clearly his style, he backs off a lot before making a challenge.

Proper way to defend, diving in 1v1 is very bad defending

sean04
28-09-2019, 03:00 PM
Really impressed with him today, looks sharper. Composed and tries to find a teammate when on the ball. Will only get better

Roxyhibee
28-09-2019, 03:04 PM
Good footballer and shows a lot of composure. Drifts a fair bit as a marker though and Celtic were down that space constantly.

jeffers
28-09-2019, 04:16 PM
Looked a bit slack with the challenge at their goal but steady nonetheless. Otherwise the side were pretty good defensively after shuffling things about due to the Jackson injury. (Who took his seat later in the stand so hopefully recovering).

Just watched the highlights. Definitely should have done better with the goal, I get that players diving in isn't great, but at times you need to get tighter to the opposition. I'd also like to see him get forward more, so room for improvement there, but in saying that it's not so easy if you aren't getting good cover in front of you to allow you to do it.

He did have a really good game though, hopefully he's now settled in and ready to continue in that vein.

Sammy7nil
28-09-2019, 04:37 PM

I watched him closely today. He’s a player.

He was terrible for the goal and was turned inside out until he was dizzy on one occasion in the first half other than that he was a solid 6\10

green day
28-09-2019, 04:41 PM
Bit much to criticise over the goal, the entire team were confused following Clancys fannying about.

He seems to prefer to stand off a winger, and for a while I wondered what he was doing, but it was actually quite a good tactic and despite a lot of ball coming down that wing they had to check back more often than not.

allmodcons
28-09-2019, 04:47 PM
He was terrible for the goal and was turned inside out until he was dizzy on one occasion in the first half other than that he was a solid 6\10

:agree: I'm not having a go at him because I thought he played well but David Gray would have defended the cross (for the goal) better. He was wrong side and weak in the challenge.

One Day Soon
28-09-2019, 04:49 PM
I think he's definitely got potential and that makes him a stand out compared to some of the other sgnings.

Jones28
28-09-2019, 05:44 PM
:agree: I'm not having a go at him because I thought he played well but David Gray would have defended the cross (for the goal) better. He was wrong side and weak in the challenge.

Love SDG but nothing he has done in a Hibs shirt in the last six months suggest that he would have better defended that goal. His tendency to jump into challenges would have seen him beaten more than TJ was today.

Jones28
28-09-2019, 05:45 PM
As for James, he’s a first pick for right back. Composure and calmness on the ball.

j'adorehibs
28-09-2019, 05:52 PM
did well today, lost the ball a few times but generally very good, had a good understanding with jackson i thought

Robbo6-2
28-09-2019, 05:58 PM
I thot he was really good.

Out of all of our right backs he is the best imo.

allmodcons
28-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Love SDG but nothing he has done in a Hibs shirt in the last six months suggest that he would have better defended that goal. His tendency to jump into challenges would have seen him beaten more than TJ was today.

Sorry but almost anybody could have defended that cross better than James did today. As I said wrong side and weak in the challenge against an opponent who is hardly recognised as being robust or strong in the air.

Sammy7nil
28-09-2019, 06:23 PM
Sorry but almost anybody could have defended that cross better than James did today. As I said wrong side and weak in the challenge against an opponent who is hardly recognised as being robust or strong in the air.

Correct :top marks He was fine but let's not get misty eyed yet.

The Harp Awakes
28-09-2019, 06:27 PM
I think he's definitely got potential and that makes him a stand out compared to some of the other sgnings.

I agree and think James is one of Heck's better signings. However, going against the flow here in saying I think he struggled today, particularly the longer the game went on. Probably tiredness coming back from injury but when Celtic were getting the upperhand in the 2nd half he couldn't get near his man. I think he'd have been hooked if there was an obvious replacement available.

LaMotta
28-09-2019, 06:31 PM
I think, Celtic goal apart, he did well today. Certainly the best I've seen of him.

Anyone saying he is a great player though, this early and based on evidence so far is just "making stuff up".

Clarence
28-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Bit much to criticise over the goal, the entire team were confused following Clancys fannying about.

He seems to prefer to stand off a winger, and for a while I wondered what he was doing, but it was actually quite a good tactic and despite a lot of ball coming down that wing they had to check back more often than not.

Yeah I noticed him standing off and first thought it was a lack of awareness of where the player was but I soon realised it was intentional.

MWHIBBIES
28-09-2019, 07:07 PM

This is the truth.

Gray would've be driving in all day and getting ripped to bits. James is a better all round player than the current Gray.

BILLYHIBS
28-09-2019, 07:20 PM
This is the truth.

Gray would've be driving in all day and getting ripped to bits. James is a better all round player than the current Gray.

Played very well today calm and composed on the ball and a very good passer

Got turned inside out in one Celtic attack early in the first half and had to pay to get back into the ground and was caught wrong side at their goal but like the rest of us was probably expecting the ball to be given back and was possibly caught unawares

Showed greater awareness, urgency, increased pace and appears to be getting up to speed

A big test for him today playing against the champions

Shows promise

B.H.F.C
28-09-2019, 07:32 PM
There’s definitely a player in there. Not too dissimilar to Whittaker in his younger days in that he’s very composed on the ball but needs a bit work on the defensive side.

LaMotta
28-09-2019, 07:50 PM
This is the truth.

David Gray has never been "ripped to bits" by anyone. We get that you don't like him but please for the love of god stop making up pish.

MWHIBBIES
28-09-2019, 08:00 PM
David Gray has never been "ripped to bits" by anyone. We get that you don't like him but please for the love of god stop making up pish.

I'm not making up anything and I very much like David Gray, a true club legend. Also not the world class player many believe he is, I've seen him ripped plenty of times.

Jones28
28-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Wrong side yes but I’d be more hopeful that my centre half’s were challenging a ball like that.

LaMotta
28-09-2019, 08:18 PM
I'm not making up anything and I very much like David Gray, a true club legend. Also not the world class player many believe he is, I've seen him ripped plenty of times.

You've managed to cram 4 lies into 2 sentences. I salute you.

jeffers
28-09-2019, 08:43 PM

James was good today as I said but I think your comments about Gray are off. I’ve never heard a single Hibs fan claim he was world class.

And on the subject of James while he defended well today he offered nothing going forward, let’s see him add that to his game and then we can decide if he’s better than David Gray.

B.H.F.C
28-09-2019, 08:49 PM
James was good today as I said but I think your comments about Gray are off. I’ve never heard a single Hibs fan claim he was world class.

And on the subject of James while he defended well today he offered nothing going forward, let’s see him add that to his game and then we can decide if he’s better than David Gray.

As a team we didn’t offer much going forward. I like the fact that James wants to pass it out. Totally different style to someone like David Gray but I reckon there is a player who we can improve there.

One thing for sure, I think he looks a much better option than Naismith.

jeffers
28-09-2019, 08:59 PM
As a team we didn’t offer much going forward. I like the fact that James wants to pass it out. Totally different style to someone like David Gray but I reckon there is a player who we can improve there.

Yeah I don’t disagree, we need to improve our forward play big time.

Gray and him are totally different type of fullbacks and while I am definitely warming to James he’s still a bit away from being as good as a fully fit Gray IMO added to the fact Gray is one of the few leaders in our squad. I think folk are too quick to write off players like Gray, Stevenson and Hanlon.

Yes I was really disappointed with Naismith.

Clarence
28-09-2019, 09:13 PM

I was struck by how slow our midfield is (apart from Middleton and Horgan when he came on), so when they got the ball in the Celtic half, they often had to pivot to retain possession and go sideways or backwards. We really miss Omeonga and of course Boyle from last season.

MWHIBBIES
28-09-2019, 09:58 PM
You've managed to cram 4 lies into 2 sentences. I salute you.

Usually a good sign that you're winning the argument when the other person just personally insults you.

The_Horde
28-09-2019, 10:04 PM
He was very composed and comfortable on the ball midweek, so I was a little surprised And frustrated that he seemed to be treating the ball like a hot tattie at times in the first half. He definitely grew into the game though and had a second half far more like his performance on Wednesday.

angus hibby
28-09-2019, 10:13 PM

Remember he’s been out injured for a couple of months and just played 120 minutes midweek in his first game back. Speaks volumes for his fitness that he has come through both games and played very well.

Will be a a very good signing.

LaMotta
28-09-2019, 10:33 PM
Usually a good sign that you're winning the argument when the other person just personally insults you.

No insults, just pointing out innacuracies in your post:aok:

we are hibs
29-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Proper way to defend, diving in 1v1 is very bad defending

Backing off and letting the opposition into the box isnt the proper way to defend at any level.

Smartie
29-09-2019, 09:28 AM
Knowing when to back off and when to dive in is what is important and you can get it wrong both ways.

MONKEY'S ERSE
29-09-2019, 09:40 AM
Have said since early doors he looks to be the best of the signings; neat & tidy and, IMO ,just needs a bit more self-belief to push forward a bit more? I'd say yesterday wasn't the best I've seen him ( up against very good players mind) but I do think there's a decent player in there.

Allant1981
29-09-2019, 09:43 AM
Backing off and letting the opposition into the box isnt the proper way to defend at any level.

Sometimes backing off is the best thing to do, if the player is quicker than you then why would you go in tight and make it easy for the winger

we are hibs
29-09-2019, 09:51 AM
Sometimes backing off is the best thing to do, if the player is quicker than you then why would you go in tight and make it easy for the winger

I find it incredible anyone would let an opposition winger into the box. If youre going to tackle them its surely better to do it outside the box rather than inside and risk giving away a penalty? Im not saying dive in but at least get a bit closer once theyre near the box rather than being unable to do anything once they are in it. A quick winger is a quick winger whether they are in or outside the box but a quick winger is infinitely more dangerous once theyre in the box.

MWHIBBIES
29-09-2019, 10:03 AM
No insults, just pointing out innacuracies in your post:aok:Calling me a liar is clearly a personal insult. Try to keep it on topic.

What if he consistently gets the better of him and he gets subbed off without contributing anything, like Forrest yesterday? James defended against him perfectly.

The 90+2
29-09-2019, 10:12 AM
This is the truth.

What game has Gray been ripped to bits before like?

LaMotta
29-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Calling me a liar is clearly a personal insult. Try to keep it on topic.

Ah so its ok for you to call people liars (which you often do when you accuse people of "making stuff up" and inventing things), but you dont like the same treatment back. I see.

Have you an awareness of the meaning of the word hypocrite? :wink:

Unseen work
29-09-2019, 11:09 AM
Wonder if all the folk skating James for the goal done the same to Gray and Mcgregor when Defoe outjumped the pair to score earlier in the season.

The_Horde
29-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Wonder if all the folk skating James for the goal done the same to Gray and Mcgregor when Defoe outjumped the pair to score earlier in the season.

They did. I read posts saying exactly that at the time.

MWHIBBIES
29-09-2019, 11:37 AM
What game has Gray been ripped to bits before like?

Ah so its ok for you to call people liars (which you often do when you accuse people of "making stuff up" and inventing things), but you dont like the same treatment back. I see.

Have you an awareness of the meaning of the word hypocrite? :wink:

Last time we played Celtic in the league cup semi final, subbed at half time because he was getting slaughtered. Lost Lustig for both his goals as well.

There ya go Victor, I'm not making anything up. Keep it on topic pal.

bookert
29-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Thought he was decent yesterday, but thought there were at least three players who deserved man of the match before him. He defended well but certainly wasnt helped by having Mallan on his side of the park given that Mallan gives next to no defensive cover. What he doesn't (or certainly didnt yesterday) do is get forward and offer the attacking option Gray does. It is noticeable that when Scott Allan has space on the ball he looks to the right to offload but yesterday because there was never anyone in that space it reduces his options . I thought because of that we looked unbalanced going forward.

The 90+2
29-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Last time we played Celtic in the league cup semi final, subbed at half time because he was getting slaughtered. Lost Lustig for both his goals as well.

Once ever then? Not bad in my book. Not taking anything away fromTJ who was class yesterday by all accounts and looks like the natural successor to the Sir.

MWHIBBIES
29-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Once ever then? Not bad in my book. Not taking anything away fromTJ who was class yesterday by all accounts and looks like the natural successor to the Sir.

No, not once ever. You asked for an example, I provided one. He's been a great player for us but not flawless like many seem to think.

The 90+2
29-09-2019, 12:24 PM
No, not once ever. You asked for an example, I provided one. He's been a great player for us but not flawless like many seem to think.

No bother mate. Imo he’s been outstanding many times in the big games and aye the guy is flawless :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
29-09-2019, 12:28 PM
No bother mate. Imo he’s been outstanding many times in the big games and aye the guy is flawless :greengrin

Yes, he has been outstanding many times. Not every time.

LaMotta
29-09-2019, 01:16 PM

You said he'd been ripped to bits plenty of times, so we can wait for all the other examples.

And of course the example you did provide was innacurate once again, as it was Brandon Barker who lost Lustig for the first goal.:hmmm::brickwall

You are def making up stuff to confirm a biased negative opinion that you hold. I give up now.

MWHIBBIES
29-09-2019, 01:32 PM
You said he'd been ripped to bits plenty of times, so we can wait for all the other examples.

And of course the example you did provide was innacurate once again, as it was Brandon Barker who lost Lustig for the first goal.:hmmm::brickwall

You are def making up stuff to confirm a biased negative opinion that you hold. I give up now.

Whatever you say mate :faf:

He's a great player whom I love watching. Had good and bad games like anyone. Bizarre you can't see that.

Lang Toun hibby
29-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Don't think TJ is the answer. He looks slow and position wise he left winger a lot of room to get crosses in. However in his defence! he can tackle. More worrying is the space in front of him i.e no cover. Same against Hearts and they and Celtic kept a left winger up at all times.

BILLYHIBS
29-09-2019, 03:06 PM
Don't think TJ is the answer. He looks slow and position wise he left winger a lot of room to get crosses in. However in his defence! he can tackle. More worrying is the space in front of him i.e no cover. Same against Hearts and they and Celtic kept a left winger up at all times.

:agree:

Needs to close his man down quicker

No need to dive in just get there

No cover and no support going forward the same for Lewis over on the left which is why he always has to check back or go sideways

Second half we played a lot of pretty stuff down our left without really penetrating

I remember a blatant trip on Lewis by the Celtic No 13 as he finally broke through

Given a fully fit SDG and James it is SDG every time until he gets injured anyway :greengrin

The Wireless
30-09-2019, 09:30 AM
I saw him in person (for the avoidance of any doubt) at the Alloa and St Mirren games. Looked to be neat and tidy on the ball, but had no real drive or pace and didn’t look great defensively to me - an assessment shared by others on this forum. He was unlucky to be injured v St Mirren from a very poor challenge but up to that point I thought he wasn’t doing great against their wide man.

If he showed something different to that last night and continues to show that then I’ll be happy to change my initial assessment about him. As I said in my initial post on this thread I’ll look forward to seeing a similar performance on Saturday.

From my seat I have to agree with this assessment. I also felt he rarely gets beyond whoever was playing in front of him as his preference was making sure in transition he was not getting caught out of position. Very comfortable on the ball, not so however on his left foot. Tends to make a pass then stand, leaving the creative responsibility to the next man. His defensive pitch geography is good and on a positive he can work on his weaker points. At this time I feel he is not suited to giving the manager the width & legs should he play a 4-4-2 narrow diamond in midfield as he is not dynamic enough in the wide full back area. Certainly not unhappy with James as a defender but not convinced he will be seen as the managers best signing either, I might be wrong.

sean04
30-09-2019, 10:16 AM
I really like him. Done well against James Forrest and boil in the 1st half. Considering forest has been 1 of the most consistent players for Celtic over the past few years. No very often Forrest doesn’t have an impact