PDA

View Full Version : Dave Ewing 1970/71

bigwheel
25-09-2019, 02:57 PM
For us older readers...thought, I’d seek for a bit of understanding of a previous challenging era....who can recall the Dave Ewing period well ?

His stats are currently worse than PH’s..

PH. Played 25 W 12 D 5 L8

Ewing. Played 26 W 7 D7 L12

I was a very young kid probably running about the foot of the terracing, so can’t really recall it ...was it seen as really bad at the time ? And was the appointment of a turnbull universally seen as a great move ?

Any insight would be appreciated

snedzuk
25-09-2019, 03:16 PM
For us older readers...thought, I’d seek for a bit of understanding of a previous challenging era....who can recall the Dave Ewing period well ?

His stats are currently worse than PH’s..

PH. Played 25 W 12 D 5 L8

Ewing. Played 26 W 7 D7 L12

I was a very young kid probably running about the foot of the terracing, so can’t really recall it ...was it seen as really bad at the time ? And was the appointment of a turnbull universally seen as a great move ?

Any insight would be appreciated

"RANGERS ARE RUBBISH" - c.f. Dave Ewing.

Jim44
25-09-2019, 03:17 PM
The very early 1970s was a time, due to education and preparing for my career, when my interest in Hibs took a bit of a backseat. But I always think Ewing’s spell at ER was less than mediocre and instantly forgettable.

Barman Stanton
25-09-2019, 03:38 PM
I'm interested in if the Hibs fans turned against Turnbull when things started to go south under him.

bigwheel
25-09-2019, 03:48 PM
I'm interested in if the Hibs fans turned against Turnbull when things started to go south under him.

Start your own thread ! [emoji2][emoji23]

ekhibee
25-09-2019, 03:48 PM
Thankfully I can't remember much about Ewing's tenure as manager. The unfortunate thing is I can remember nearly all of Bertie Aulds.

Cataplana
25-09-2019, 03:52 PM

Only at the very end, around about 79/80, IIRC.

BILLYHIBS
25-09-2019, 03:58 PM
An Assistant Head Coach with Man City he replaced Willie Macfarlane who refused to follow Tom Harts instructions to drop Joe McBride our top scorer for the home first leg Inter Cities Fairs Cup tie versus Liverpool
He managed the team that knocked Hearts out of the Scottish Cup 2-1 at Tiny in the fourth round
We played Rangers at Hampden in the semi and drew 0-0 after which he uttered the immortal words “Rangers are rubbish!”
Rangers of course went on to win the replay 2-1
Willie Henderson scored with a left foot drive I remember at the time him saying he only uses his left foot to stand on
Went to both games 69 years of hurt and counting

Risboro Hibby
25-09-2019, 04:02 PM
I remember Ewing’s tenure well. It was awful when you consider the talented players we had in our squad at the time. Players that formed a nucleus of Turnbulls Tornadoes

Heckingbottom is bad but still in my opinion Dave Ewing was a lot worse.

There again with my advanced years maybe my expectations have lessened.

heretoday
25-09-2019, 04:03 PM
An Assistant Head Coach with Man City he replaced Willie Macfarlane who refused to follow Tom Harts instructions to drop Joe McBride our top scorer for the home first leg Inter Cities Fairs Cup tie versus Liverpool
He managed the team that knocked Hearts out of the Scottish Cup 2-1 at Tiny in the Quarter Final
We played Rangers at Hampden in the semi and drew 0-0 after which he uttered the immortal words “Rangers are rubbish!”
Willie Henderson scored with a right foot drive I remember at the time him saying he only uses his right foot to stand on
Went to both games 70 years of hurt and counting

So did I. We stood at the sparsely attended Celtic end. Hibs had a decent team. Pre-Turnbull. I think Henderson was right-footed by the way!

BILLYHIBS
25-09-2019, 04:06 PM
So did I. We stood at the sparsely attended Celtic end. Hibs had a decent team. Pre-Turnbull. I think Henderson was right-footed by the way!

👍🏾

I thought it was I was thinking of Johnstone Celtic right wing for Scotland and Henderson left

brog
25-09-2019, 04:08 PM
They were both right wingers.

Golden Bear
25-09-2019, 04:11 PM

The signing of a certain Joe Harper cause much controversy!

Talking of which, where is Doddie these days?

Barman Stanton
25-09-2019, 04:12 PM

Haha I thought about that but didn’t want to add to the negativity.

Golden Bear
25-09-2019, 04:14 PM
I remember Ewing’s tenure well. It was awful when you consider the talented players we had in our squad at the time. Players that formed a nucleus of Turnbulls Tornadoes

Heckingbottom is bad but still in my opinion Dave Ewing was a lot worse.

There again with my advanced years maybe my expectations have lessened.

You're better than me. I certainly remember the name but other than that, not much else about his tenure as Manager.

Hibbyradge
25-09-2019, 04:16 PM
The unfortunate thing is I can remember nearly all of Bertie Aulds.

Team talk prior to a game;

"Yiz huv already goat a point. Don't lose it!"

BILLYHIBS
25-09-2019, 04:49 PM
They were both right wingers.

👍🏾

Had it in ma heid that they both played for Scotland at the same time but it never happened apparently Wee Jimmy scared of flying and he preferred to play for Celtic

heretoday
25-09-2019, 04:53 PM
👍🏾

I thought it was I was thinking of Johnstone Celtic right wing for Scotland and Henderson left

Lol! I remember it was Henderson on the right, Wilson left for the Huns. Johnstone right and Lennox left for Celtic. Jimmy Johnstone could hit them with his left though.

There's one famous goal he scored but I can't find it.

They were great players in those days. We didn't know how lucky we were. it's ghastly what has happened to the game now.

Halmyre Hibee
25-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Turnbull is still my favourite manager in my lifetime but he made mistakes e.g. dropped Pat Stanton v Liverpool in Europe (away) and Toshack scored 3 headers. He blamed Pat for Hibs getting beat of Montrose in a cup tie. In my opinion he got rid of Alan Gordon & Jimmy O'Rourke to quickly and the great Turnbull Tornadoes team were replaced by mediocre players over a short period of time and we declined rapidly from being 2nd / 3rd to mid table then relegated in 79/80. Once Tom Hart (chairman / owner) passed away then there was a period of instability as well and like present day any player sold for a considerable sum was not replaced by one of at least equal ability.

BILLYHIBS
25-09-2019, 05:02 PM
thankfully i can't remember much about ewing's tenure as manager. The unfortunate thing is i can remember nearly all of bertie aulds.

p36 w 0 d 36 l 0 f 36 a 36 pts 36

😁

Halmyre Hibee
25-09-2019, 05:05 PM
"RANGERS ARE RUBBISH" - c.f. Dave Ewing.

That's about all I remember about him and it backfired.

P.S Hibs are rubbish............maybe that will work from now on in and we will start winning.

Ray_
26-09-2019, 06:39 AM
He was never a manager, he was brought up from Man City by Tom Hart to join the club as a coach and he was soon promoted when the chairman had the fallout with the then Hibs manager, Willie Mac approaching Xmas 1970. Willie Mac had arrived during the summer of 1969, replacing Bob Shankley and he made an instant impact with Hibs beating Celtic, Hearts and Rangers all away from home in our first three months.

The win at Ibrox in October saw Hibs go top, but we couldn't maintain it and had some inconsistent results and at the end of the year we sold Peter Marinello and within four months his great pal, Peter Cormack, also departed, we still had enough in the bank to finish third, in Peter Cormack's last game, he scored two in a 4-1 home win against a very good St Johnstone side and that had cemented our position. Willie Mac, had moved into the Hibs seat from Stirling Albion and he brought Erich Schaedler with him for about 7k, he later paid Falkirk 20k to bring in Johnny Graham and then Arthur Duncan for 35k to replace the 100k Peter Marinello, all that proved to be successful signings, but the biggest buy [45k] was for Jim Blair to start the new 70/71 season was a bad purchase from the start, considering Joe Jordan left from St Mirren's near neighbours, Morton, around that time for 30k and Leeds got Gordon McQueen for a similar fee that Hibs had paid for Blair.

The new season started and our new "star" strikers fallibilities were obvious from the start, a tall beanpole striker who very much matched the much-used "Bamba on ice" description used many times to describe modern players. There were some bright moments during Jim Blairs's season with Hibs [sold back to St Mirren within a year for 18k], he got two of the goals at a time we were able to score six against Malmo [9-2 aggregate win] and he got two goals in a famous last gasp win over Rangers [3-2] in a fog-bound midweek game at ER, after Willie Johnson had been sent off for kicking out, his record for doing so matched our own magician, Alex Edwards, who was due to join us the following year.

By the end of the year, Hibs hadn't managed to show the sort of performances we had against Rangers and Malmo too often, as earlier said, Dave Ewing was brought in by Tom Hart to "support" Willie Mac's team, but the fallout when Tom Hart wanted Willie Mac to drop Joe McBride before the year's end cup tie's against Liverpool saw Willie Mac walk. Joe McBride had been Hibs main threat that season, as he had since Bob Shankley brought him in, in October 1968, to replace the departed, Colin Stein. Another irony, Joe had scored the two goals that beat Celtic, in the first game after Tom Hart had come into our club, one of the goals a very special strike that only a top marksman could make.

Dave Ewing's reign started well enough, Arthur Duncan started to display the sort of form we saw for years to come at ER and led to him playing at Wembley for our, then, highly talented, national team, although I won't mention the score! In that first month [January 1971], he had re-signed the hugely popular, Joe Baker, who made a triumphant return in front of a huge crowd as he scored what turned out to be the winner against Eddie Turnbull's table-topping Aberdeen's side. Pat Stanton's fabulous opening goal was the first that their keeper, Bobby Clark, had conceded in eternity as he set a British record not losing a goal in their previous 11 games.

An Arthur Duncan wonder goal saw a cup win at Tynecastle and it really kick-started Arthur's growing stock, making him one of the country's most sought after players and while our cup form saw us reach a cup semi replay against Rangers, that brought the famous Dave Ewing quote "Rangers are Rubbish" that was splattered all over the papers the morning after the original semi, which had ended 0-0. Dave was addressing his players in the dressing room after the game as he was trying to set his players up for the replay and he was overheard by the press waiting outside the door.

Hibs played really well in the replay but lost 2-1, we were very unlucky and the replay and the postseason ER friendly against MVV Maastricht highlighted the supreme skills of Alex Cropley, a youngster who was coming back from being injured earlier in the season as he was trying to make the breakthrough at the team he supported. Alex's impact the following season under ET soon had as all forgetting about Peter Marinello & Peter Cormack.

While we played well in the cup, we were consistently poor in the league and ended up in a lowly position in the 18 team league. After the MVV game, which Hibs had won handsomely and particularly because of the form of John Brownlie, Arthur Duncan and the massive impact of Alec Cropley at the end of the season, coupled with the already outstanding, John Blackley & [no praise is enough] Pat Stanton, I was quite confident for the new season, but Dave Ewing left to go back down South and then early July ET made his heralded return and it quickly became "Dave Who".

bigwheel
26-09-2019, 06:49 AM
He was never a manager, he was brought up from Man City by Tom Hart to join the club as a coach and he was soon promoted when the chairman had the fallout with the then Hibs manager, Willie Mac approaching Xmas 1970. Willie Mac had arrived during the summer of 1969, replacing Bob Shankley and he made an instant impact with Hibs beating Celtic, Hearts and Rangers all away from home in our first three months.

The win at Ibrox in October saw Hibs go top, but we couldn't maintain it and had some inconsistent results and at the end of the year we sold Peter Marinello and within four months his great pal, Peter Cormack, also departed, we still had enough in the bank to finish third, in Peter Cormack's last game, he scored two in a 4-1 home win against a very good St Johnstone side and that had cemented our position. Willie Mac, had moved into the Hibs seat from Stirling Albion and he brought Erich Schaedler with him for about 7k, he later paid Falkirk 20k to bring in Johnny Graham and then Arthur Duncan for 35k to replace the 100k Peter Marinello, all that proved to be successful signings, but the biggest buy [45k] was for Jim Blair to start the new 70/71 season was a bad purchase from the start, considering Joe Jordan left from St Mirren's near neighbours, Morton, around that time for 30k and Leeds got Gordon McQueen for a similar fee that Hibs had paid for Blair.

The new season started and our new "star" strikers fallibilities were obvious from the start, a tall beanpole striker who very much matched the much-used "Bamba on ice" description used many times to describe modern players. There were some bright moments during Jim Blairs's season with Hibs [sold back to St Mirren within a year for 18k], he got two of the goals at a time we were able to score six against Malmo [9-2 aggregate win] and he got two goals in a famous last gasp win over Rangers [3-2] in a fog-bound midweek game at ER, after Willie Johnson had been sent off for kicking out, his record for doing so matched our own magician, Alex Edwards, who was due to join us the following year.

By the end of the year, Hibs hadn't managed to show the sort of performances we had against Rangers and Malmo too often, as earlier said, Dave Ewing was brought in by Tom Hart to "support" Willie Mac's team, but the fallout when Tom Hart wanted Willie Mac to drop Joe McBride before the year's end cup tie's against Liverpool saw Willie Mac walk. Joe McBride had been Hibs main threat that season, as he had since Bob Shankley brought him in, in October 1968, to replace the departed, Colin Stein. Another irony, Joe had scored the two goals that beat Celtic, in the first game after Tom Hart had come into our club, one of the goals a very special strike that only a top marksman could make.

Dave Ewing's reign started well enough, Arthur Duncan started to display the sort of form we saw for years to come at ER and led to him playing at Wembley for our, then, highly talented, national team, although I won't mention the score! In that first month [January 1971], he had re-signed the hugely popular, Joe Baker, who made a triumphant return in front of a huge crowd as he scored what turned out to be the winner against Eddie Turnbull's table-topping Aberdeen's side. Pat Stanton's fabulous opening goal was the first that their keeper, Bobby Clark, had conceded in eternity as he set a British record not losing a goal in their previous 11 games.

An Arthur Duncan wonder goal saw a cup win at Tynecastle and it really kick-started Arthur's growing stock, making him one of the country's most sought after players and while our cup form saw us reach a cup semi replay against Rangers, that brought the famous Dave Ewing quote "Rangers are Rubbish" that was splattered all over the papers the morning after the original semi, which had ended 0-0. Dave was addressing his players in the dressing room after the game as he was trying to set his players up for the replay and he was overheard by the press waiting outside the door.

Hibs played really well in the replay but lost 2-1, we were very unlucky and the replay and the postseason ER friendly against MVV Maastricht highlighted the supreme skills of Alex Cropley, a youngster who was coming back from being injured earlier in the season as he was trying to make the breakthrough at the team he supported. Alex's impact the following season under ET soon had as all forgetting about Peter Marinello & Peter Cormack.

While we played well in the cup, we were consistently poor in the league and ended up in a lowly position in the 18 team league. After the MVV game, which Hibs had won handsomely and particularly because of the form of John Brownlie, Arthur Duncan and the massive impact of Alec Cropley at the end of the season, coupled with the already outstanding, John Blackley & [no praise is enough] Pat Stanton, I was quite confident for the new season, but Dave Ewing left to go back down South and then early July ET made his heralded return and it quickly became "Dave Who".

What a fantastic post - really helps understand what was going on in our team at the time ..thank you so much [emoji106][emoji119]

BILLYHIBS
26-09-2019, 07:10 AM

:top marks

One Day
26-09-2019, 07:38 AM

Great post very interesting and nostalgic

ancient hibee
26-09-2019, 12:20 PM
I always felt that Tom Hart manufactured the row with Willie McFarlane with the intention of using Dave Ewing as a stopgap until he could hire Eddie Turnbull who was his good pal.It all worked out well of course but I always thought McFarlane could have gone on to do well in the game.He had a great eye for a player(like many tough defenders have!).Arthur Duncanfor example was a far better player than Peter Marinello and McFarlane was delighted when he got Arsenal to pay £100,000 for him.He said to me"you supporters will be furious but Peter has already hit the heights of his career.I'm doing him a favour and getting him a good wage".Spot on.

southsider
26-09-2019, 01:20 PM
We played some brilliant football under Willie Mac. To sack him on the eve of a UEFA cup game was mental. In Joe McB we had a goal scorer who almost made me forget about Colin Stein. I hi you are wrong about Peter M. He had everything and was too young to be shipped to London. When I think of some of the players we sold in the 60’s m. Peter M, Peter C, Neil Martin ,John MAC and the biggest regret letting Jock Stein go to Celtic when we were in there running to win the League & Cup. We should have held Stein until the end of the season.

Hiber-nation
26-09-2019, 02:19 PM
I always felt that Tom Hart manufactured the row with Willie McFarlane with the intention of using Dave Ewing as a stopgap until he could hire Eddie Turnbull who was his good pal.It all worked out well of course but I always thought McFarlane could have gone on to do well in the game.He had a great eye for a player(like many tough defenders have!).Arthur Duncanfor example was a far better player than Peter Marinello and McFarlane was delighted when he got Arsenal to pay £100,000 for him.He said to me"you supporters will be furious but Peter has already hit the heights of his career.I'm doing him a favour and getting him a good wage".Spot on.

Agree with this, Peter couldn't cross a ball. I remember as an 12 year old being gutted when Willie left.

BILLYHIBS
26-09-2019, 02:40 PM
I was gutted back in the day when we took the Hun pound for Colin Stein but as others have said Joe McBride soon made us forget all about him I also thought Johnny Graham was the second coming Jim Blair less so
I also remember hearing a story that Peter Marinello was standing at a Bus Stop near Easter Road and a car pulls up and he says to the driver “What are you doing through here Arthur?”

brog
26-09-2019, 08:08 PM

Great post Ray.i should add that after the 3-2 win over Rangers & Willie Johnston's sending off, beautifully provoked by Jim Blair, the Rangers Board refused to accept the post match hospitality & demanded their share of the gate money immediately. It ended when Tommy Younger almost threw Willie Waddell down the stairs & Tom Hart threw bags full of money down on top of him. Those were the days!! Incidentally, although Blair was hopeless at ER, think a less energetic Joe Newell, he became an iconic figure at Norwich, he may have won the LC with them.

Ray_
26-09-2019, 09:05 PM
Great post Ray.i should add that after the 3-2 win over Rangers & Willie Johnston's sending off, beautifully provoked by Jim Blair, the Rangers Board refused to accept the post match hospitality & demanded their share of the gate money immediately. It ended when Tommy Younger almost threw Willie Waddell down the stairs & Tom Hart threw bags full of money down on top of him. Those were the days!! Incidentally, although Blair was hopeless at ER, think a less energetic Joe Newell, he became an iconic figure at Norwich, he may have won the LC with them.

:greengrin :agree: Yes I remember that it was all in coins as well as it would be back then :greengrin.

As for the Norwich bit, iconic is maybe a bit strong, he was at Norwich for just over a season after he signed for them in September 1972, this for the same fee St Mirren had paid Hibs to take him back there. Although he only played 11 games for Norwich [six of them in the league], [he scored one cup goal] they were relegated the season he completed, but he did play in two cup finals, losing to Spurs in the league cup and losing to local rivals, Ipswich in the Texaco Cup, Ipswich won both legs 2-1 and they had their 70's legends like Trevor Wymark and Clive Woods scoring for them and Mick Mills lifting the trophy, David Cross, destined to be a fans favourite at West Ham, scored one of the Norwich goals. Jim Blair played in one of the two legs and later left to play in Belgium where he retired from playing, aged 30, in 1977.

Jim stayed on in Belgium after retiring and this is where he sadly passed away in April 2011, aged just 64. Jim wasn't a huge success at Hibs, but it wasn't his fault that Hibs paid out which was then a very large amount of money nor was it his fault that he was effectively replacing an absolute legend in Peter Cormack. Jim had much more joy at St Mirren, where he scored in each of his first nine games for them and by the time he reached Hibs he had scored 40 goals in 84 games and his second spell he was slightly less successful with 20 goals in 50 appearances. R.I.P. Jim.

brog
26-09-2019, 09:22 PM
:greengrin :agree: Yes I remember that it was all in coins as well as it would be back then :greengrin.

As for the Norwich bit, iconic is maybe a bit strong, he was at Norwich for just over a season after he signed for them in September 1972, this for the same fee St Mirren had paid Hibs to take him back there. Although he only played 11 games for Norwich [six of them in the league], [he scored one cup goal] they were relegated the season he completed, but he did play in two cup finals, losing to Spurs in the league cup and losing to local rivals, Ipswich in the Texaco Cup, Ipswich won both legs 2-1 and they had their 70's legends like Trevor Wymark and Clive Woods scoring for them and Mick Mills lifting the trophy, David Cross, destined to be a fans favourite at West Ham, scored one of the Norwich goals. Jim Blair played in one of the two legs and later left to play in Belgium where he retired from playing, aged 30, in 1977.

Jim stayed on in Belgium after retiring and this is where he sadly passed away in April 2011, aged just 64. Jim wasn't a huge success at Hibs, but it wasn't his fault that Hibs paid out which was then a very large amount of money nor was it his fault that he was effectively replacing an absolute legend in Peter Cormack. Jim had much more joy at St Mirren, where he scored in each of his first nine games for them and by the time he reached Hibs he had scored 40 goals in 84 games and his second spell he was slightly less successful with 20 goals in 50 appearances. R.I.P. Jim.

Thanks Ray I didn't realise he played so few games for Norwich. My memory is probably coloured by seeing him on TV, so few games on TV in those days. Yes definitely coins showering down the stairs, my Dad was in the box that night & he was crying with laughter when he described the events later.

BILLYHIBS
27-09-2019, 12:00 PM
Anyone remember the name of John Greigs nephew that played for Hibernian at full back in both legs of the Scottish Cup semi final versus Rangers?

Ray_
27-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Anyone remember the name of John Greigs nephew that played for Hibernian at full back in both legs of the Scottish Cup semi final versus Rangers?

Mervyn Jones.

BILLYHIBS
27-09-2019, 12:56 PM
Mervyn Jones.

👍🏾

ancient hibee
27-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Mervyn Jones.
Put in a great cross for Joe’s first goal on his return.

erin go bragh
27-09-2019, 03:32 PM
Can only remember Bobby and JR ( and Lucy 💚)
Fair enjoyed reading Rays post 👍

Ray_
27-09-2019, 03:41 PM
He managed the team that knocked Hearts out of the Scottish Cup 2-1 at Tiny in the fourth round
Willie Henderson scored with a left foot drive I remember at the time him saying he only uses his left foot to stand on
Went to both games 69 years of hurt and counting

Alfie Conn scored the winner and the headline in the record the next morning was "Hibs are Conned" wasn't far off the mark, whether they intended it literally or not.

Ray_
27-09-2019, 03:53 PM
We played some brilliant football under Willie Mac. To sack him on the eve of a UEFA cup game was mental. In Joe McB we had a goal scorer who almost made me forget about Colin Stein. I hi you are wrong about Peter M. He had everything and was too young to be shipped to London. When I think of some of the players we sold in the 60’s m. Peter M, Peter C, Neil Martin ,John MAC and the biggest regret letting Jock Stein go to Celtic when we were in there running to win the League & Cup. We should have held Stein until the end of the season.

I agree with Stein but the biggest mistake was not finding that fiver for Joe Baker, although I'm sure the chairman delighted at getting the 80K.

BILLYHIBS
27-09-2019, 07:31 PM
Alfie Conn scored the winner and the headline in the record the next morning was "Hibs are Conned" wasn't far off the mark, whether they intended it literally or not.

My favourite headline from that era was from the EEN Sports Pink Edition:

” Punchinello Rocks The Gers!”

After our 3-1 win at Ibrox a Peter Marinello double.

:flag:

Ray_
27-09-2019, 08:02 PM
My favourite headline from that era was from the EEN Sports Pink Edition:

” Punchinello Rocks The Gers!”

After our 3-1 win at Ibrox a Peter Marinello double.

:flag:

As a 13yo, it was my first visit to Ibrox.

BILLYHIBS
27-09-2019, 08:18 PM
As a 13yo, it was my first visit to Ibrox.

Ha Ha!

First time I have noticed your avatar

I was on a cruise in May and at Dinner I got speaking to a Barrow fan He said to me ( unprompted) that his favourite Scottish team is Hibernian FC and that his favourite player of all time is Peter Marinello to which I pulled out my mobile and showed him an image saved on my phone of Marinello in his prime in colour pictured before a game at a snow bound Easter Road

PM me and I will forward it to you

It is quality

Ray_
27-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Ha Ha!

First time I have noticed your avatar

I was on a cruise in May and at dinner I got speaking to a Barrow fan He said to me ( unprompted) that his favourite Scottish team is Hibernian FC and that his favourite player of all time is Peter Marinello to which I pulled out my mobile and showed him an image saved on my phone of Marinello in his prime in colour pictured before a game at a snow bound Easter Road

PM me and I will forward it to you

It is quality

Snowbound ER, Peter Marinello, orange ball, Motherwell 1-1 draw, the tail end of 1969, there was also a picture of Johnny Graham and Motherwell's John Goldthorpe competing for the ball that came out in Shoot I think it was. :greengrin

I was a heartbroken 13 YO when he was sold and his two goals at Ibrox was played over and over on the national news who were reporting the transfer.

Arthur Duncan's debut was against Celtic at ER at the start of January [70], he played on the right-wing with Eric Stevenson on the left and scored in a 1-2 defeat but it wasn't until the following season that he really started to find his feet, in the league cup section games. We got to the final game, a midweek home tie against Aberdeen, who had won the cup in their famous 3-1 victory over Celtic at the end of the previous season. Two days after ET's side won the cup they played their [and ours] last league of the season at ER, the Hibs players formed a tunnel and clapped them onto the pitch and they went on to beat us 2-1, the next time I saw that happen at ER was when Ayr formed the guard of honour and clapped ET's successful Hibs side on to the pitch the week after we beat Celtic at Hampden in the LC final [16/12/72] and we then promptly scored 8 against them [the TT's really were special at that time]. Back to the LC qualifier:greengrin, Aberdeen needed a draw to qualify but Hibs put on their best performance I had seen them up to that point in the first half of that game and we went in at the interval 4-0 ahead, which was the final score.

Hibs were drawn against Rangers in the two-legged QF and based on the performance against Aberdeen we were extremely confident, Arthur Duncan had started the season absolutely flying and he was the prime tormentor of Aberdeen, but on the Saturday before the first of the two-midweek QF games, he was taken off after being barged and went crashing into the wall surrounding the pitch while in full throttle as he attacked our opponents goal as we were kicking uphill.

The full extent of the injury was kept secret before the first leg at Ibrox and it was only after our 3-1 defeat that we were told that he would be out for several weeks, we lost the home leg 3-1 as well.

BILLYHIBS
27-09-2019, 09:19 PM
Snowbound ER, Peter Marinello, orange ball, Motherwell 1-1 draw, the tail end of 1969, there was also a picture of Johnny Graham and Motherwell's John Goldthorpe competing for the ball that came out in Shoot I think it was. :greengrin

I was a heartbroken 13 YO when he was sold and his two goals at Ibrox was played over and over on the national news who were reporting the transfer.

Arthur Duncan's debut was against Celtic at ER at the start of January [70], he played on the right-wing with Eric Stevenson on the left and scored in a 1-2 defeat but it wasn't until the following season that he really started to find his feet, in the league cup section games. We got to the final game, a midweek home tie against Aberdeen, who had won the cup in their famous 3-1 victory over Celtic at the end of the previous season. Two days after ET's side won the cup they played their [and ours] last league of the season at ER, the Hibs players formed a tunnel and clapped them onto the pitch and they went on to beat us 2-1, the next time I saw that happen at ER was when Ayr formed the guard of honour and clapped ET's successful Hibs side on to the pitch the week after we beat Celtic at Hampden in the LC final [16/12/72] and we then promptly scored 8 against them [the TT's really were special at that time]. Back to the LC qualifier:greengrin, Aberdeen needed a draw to qualify but Hibs put on their best performance I had seen them up to that point in the first half of that game and we went in at the interval 4-0 ahead, which was the final score.

Hibs were drawn against Rangers in the two-legged QF and based on the performance against Aberdeen we were extremely confident, Arthur Duncan had started the season absolutely flying and he was the prime tormentor of Aberdeen, but on the Saturday before the first of the two-midweek QF games, he was taken off after being barged and went crashing into the wall surrounding the pitch while in full throttle as he attacked our opponents goal as we were kicking uphill.

The full extent of the injury was kept secret before the first leg at Ibrox and it was only after our 3-1 defeat that we were told that he would be out for several weeks, we lost the home leg 3-1 as well.
Do you remember the wee lawn mower type contraption that the two apprentices went around the ground on at half time on holding aloft the League Cup and the Dryburgh Cups?

:scarf::cup::cup:

Tomsk
27-09-2019, 10:08 PM
Do you remember the wee lawn mower type contraption that the two apprentices went around the ground on at half time on holding aloft the League Cup and the Dryburgh Cups?

I remember it well.

They also produced a souvenir programme with Pat Stanton on the cover - it was really just the usual programme with a different cover layout.

The marketing department must have been on overdrive that week.

BILLYHIBS
27-09-2019, 10:13 PM
I remember it well.

They also produced a souvenir programme with Pat Stanton on the cover - it was really just the usual programme with a different cover layout.

The marketing department must have been on overdrive that week.

:aok:

Not a lot has changed

Need to step up a few levels :greengrin

southsider
28-09-2019, 07:58 AM

Aye, all of 47 years ago. I remember that well but can hardly remember games this season.