PDA

View Full Version : We only sing when we're winning

1875-Hibernia
25-09-2019, 12:13 PM
After the game on Sunday I muttered the words "won't be back" to my mate and daughter. I even wrote some-things in anger about how bad we are and how the fans can't see we're in a decline. I have since deleted them as they were just that - anger and a few bottles! I even considered a protest of some-sort to vent my frustration. Again that was just that - frustration. I never truly believed I wouldn't be back and part of that is because I remembered in recent history I sat through to the final whistle of that 5-1 final under Fenlon, I sat and watched us get relegated until the final kick of the ball under Butcher. I've sat and watched Hibs play in an empty stadium. The other part of that is because my daughter messaged me saying, "Dad if you're not going on Saturday, can me and my friend go" and that hit me, that in order for Hibs to not just survive but thrive, then we need the fans turning up and we need future Hibs fans wanting to go now. It's no good if future fans only want to go when we're winning.

I know things aren't very good on the pitch right now, but remember that Stubbs first game was a loss to the Rangers and his first 6 league games we suffered defeats to Hearts, Falkirk, Alloa and QOS, he failed to get us promoted twice and in all competitions under him we conceded 108 goals! yet he still won us the big time! Under Lennon we lost our first two games and were put out of Europe, yet in all competitions we scored 229 goals and got a record points total and Europe again. Then things looked to be going pear-shaped behind the scenes but it was clear to me last season that a lot of our players were done - including Bartley and Milligan, who just didn't look good enough and it was written at the time that was one of the reasons for Lennon's falling out with George Craig. Heckingbottom came in and got us top 6 (regardless of who he played) and we looked like getting Europe again but we just weren't good enough. Heckingbottom is a modern day coach, who has masters degrees in coaching on top of his badges and has a philosophy of players and style he wants to play. No it's not gelled yet and I think he will hold his hands up to say one or two players he's brought in aren't good enough and the results aren't good enough but I think he will be given time for a few transfer windows to get it right and implement his style and philosophy on the club and we need to back that.

Yes the cup win is done and points total gone and we need to keep progressing, but we can only progress if the fans unite and get behind the team! it may be blind faith to some, but to me it's pure and simple - Hibs are my club, not the managers or players. They are here temporary to help shape the history of the club and we can help them. But the club as a whole, Hibernian, is yours and it's mine - it's all the fans from birth until death.

WhileTheChief..
25-09-2019, 12:27 PM
You think the board will give PH a few transfers windows???

God help us.

chrisski33
25-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Sorry but heckingbottom isnt the man and shouldnt be in place still. he talks the talk. ill back Hibs but not heckingbottom. he doesn't need anymore time.

green with envy
25-09-2019, 12:34 PM
I very rarely miss a game and could count on one hand how many in the last 5 years. I also can't remember the last game I missed due to not being arsed but tonight this is exactly the reason why I won't be attending the Kilmarnock game.

1875-Hibernia
25-09-2019, 12:37 PM
You think the board will give PH a few transfers windows???

God help us.

Yes. Certainly be given the January transfer window at the minimum.

The reason I say that, is because all the blame doesn't lie with PH and it's not just his singings who are underperforming. There are many players at this club who haven't been good enough for a few seasons now and any manager should be given time to fix that.

Hibeesmad
25-09-2019, 12:38 PM
If we win all our games before the break then so be it, give him a bit more time but that ain't going to happen. He be gone after the Aberdeen game giving the board a bit of time to bring in a new face with the international break. By then we are likely to be sitting bottom of the league with 4 points from 8 games as well as being knocked out the cup. Shambles.

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 12:40 PM

The reason I say that, is because all the blame doesn't lie with PH and it's not just his singings who are underperforming. There are many players at this club who haven't been good enough for a few seasons now and any manager should be given time to fix that.

Why on earth would he be given more windows when his transfers this summer can’t even get into the team? That’s including players who haven’t been good enough for three seasons now as you put it! How ***** must they players be to not remove any of them.

worcesterhibby
25-09-2019, 12:48 PM
I very much admire the sentiment of your post and in some things you are right...we should keep supporting the club and doing everything possible to back the players and the manager while they are employed by Hibs. However I really struggle to see how PH can turn the current situation around, it really feels like we need someone in who has more drive, more charisma and above all enough experience to know how to make us harder to beat, more pleasing on the eye and instill a winning mentality that seems entirely absent under the current management.

Let's back the team and give the players every chance to regain their confidence and show they are worthy of a Hibs jersey. But lets also hope that we find a way to say goodbye to Heckingbottom and bring someone new and dynamic in. PH seems like a decent man and I'm sure he is hurting, but he seems out of his depth and if the slide isn't addressed soon, it may become terminal.

GGTTH :flag::flag:

1875-Hibernia
25-09-2019, 12:50 PM
Why on earth would he be given more windows when his transfers this summer can’t even get into the team? That’s including players who haven’t been good enough for three seasons now as you put it! How ***** must they players be to not remove any of them.

4 of his players started the last game with another 2 coming off the bench making 6 in total. Not sure why I'm seeing people say his players can't get in the team? Did anyone think he was just going to sign a whole new starting 11? One has been injured (James) I agree they are taking longer to get up to speed than they should have though but the only player who looks totally lost imo is Newell - the rest look like they can improve.

1875-Hibernia
25-09-2019, 01:02 PM
I very much admire the sentiment of your post and in some things you are right...we should keep supporting the club and doing everything possible to back the players and the manager while they are employed by Hibs. However I really struggle to see how PH can turn the current situation around, it really feels like we need someone in who has more drive, more charisma and above all enough experience to know how to make us harder to beat, more pleasing on the eye and instill a winning mentality that seems entirely absent under the current management.

Let's back the team and give the players every chance to regain their confidence and show they are worthy of a Hibs jersey. But lets also hope that we find a way to say goodbye to Heckingbottom and bring someone new and dynamic in. PH seems like a decent man and I'm sure he is hurting, but he seems out of his depth and if the slide isn't addressed soon, it may become terminal.

GGTTH :flag::flag:

If Hibs look to remove him tomorrow then so be it - I will back the next man in charge. As it stands though PH is running things and I believe it's only fair he gets the chance to fix things because I don't believe he is solely at fault for the mess we're seeing just now. If there's been no improvement between now and after the January transfer window then I will call for him to go. I thought against them we looked defensively better and more compact and improved as team. That was until the equaliser and then they gave up and that for me is player doing not manager doing.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-09-2019, 01:30 PM
Start of Feb, ffs! 😱

we are hibs
25-09-2019, 01:33 PM
Im struggling to get my head round the fact hes being allowed to take charge tonight without even considering giving him another transfer window. Giving him another window would be disastrous and set us back years.

makaveli1875
25-09-2019, 01:41 PM

he wont be getting anymore windows , shown the door maybe but definitly no windows

hibeerealist
25-09-2019, 03:18 PM
4 of his players started the last game with another 2 coming off the bench making 6 in total. Not sure why I'm seeing people say his players can't get in the team? Did anyone think he was just going to sign a whole new starting 11? One has been injured (James) I agree they are taking longer to get up to speed than they should have though but the only player who looks totally lost imo is Newell - the rest look like they can improve.

The 4 you refer to are you sure all were PH signings/choices?

Given that he was provided with funds to "get his signings in early" (which I assume is to get the full pre season and opportunity to gel), very few of his signings are looking better than what we had and most now struggle to get into his team (on the bench yes but on the pitch no).

I know you mean well but this is not proving to be a good choice of HC and very few of us support him getting any more games let alone transfer windows god forbid.

1875-Hibernia
25-09-2019, 04:59 PM
The 4 you refer to are you sure all were PH signings/choices?

Given that he was provided with funds to "get his signings in early" (which I assume is to get the full pre season and opportunity to gel), very few of his signings are looking better than what we had and most now struggle to get into his team (on the bench yes but on the pitch no).

I know you mean well but this is not proving to be a good choice of HC and very few of us support him getting any more games let alone transfer windows god forbid.

I have no reason to believe that they’re not PH signings. But if recruitment and club have taken over responsibilities for the sole signings of players then they at least owe PH the chance to build a team based on their recruitment?

1875-Hibernia
25-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Just to be clear, I am not a supporter of PH but I do believe that he will be given time to fix the current issues and I think that’s only fair. As I said January transfer window at minimum.

However, the main point of this post was to point out that Easter Road is our home and PH and the current group of players are only renting it. So I say again, please do not stay away from the club you love because you dislike who is in charge.

Sammy7nil
25-09-2019, 05:06 PM
I very rarely miss a game and could count on one hand how many in the last 5 years. I also can't remember the last game I missed due to not being arsed but tonight this is exactly the reason why I won't be attending the Kilmarnock game.

I think you will miss a win tonight :cb

hibbysam
25-09-2019, 06:05 PM

He played 4 of his signings. One was Maxwell who should be cover for Marciano, the one position we didn’t need to strengthen. One defender, at least two of the other defenders are well off form and any half decent signing would’ve replaced them.
If you don’t think Vela looks lost then fair play, he’s been absolutely murder. Hallberg is the one player I think could turn into a player, we struggled when we replaced him.
But you’ve contradicted yourself to say that our own players that PH didn’t sign are letting us down, but then we shouldn’t expect them all to be replaced. If the signings were half decent at all they’d be in, simple as that.
Horgan hasn’t kicked a ball since April, Newell can’t get in, Mallan has barely kicked a ball since the middle of last season, can’t get dropped, our defence are shipping the most goals I’ve possibly seen, can’t be replaced.

jacomo
25-09-2019, 06:24 PM
If Hibs look to remove him tomorrow then so be it - I will back the next man in charge. As it stands though PH is running things and I believe it's only fair he gets the chance to fix things because I don't believe he is solely at fault for the mess we're seeing just now. If there's been no improvement between now and after the January transfer window then I will call for him to go. I thought against them we looked defensively better and more compact and improved as team. That was until the equaliser and then they gave up and that for me is player doing not manager doing.

I also admire your positivity and patience but I honestly cannot see where the next win is coming from.

Hecky has been given decent backing to reshape the squad and it looks seriously unbalanced.

The team don’t play as he says they will - at all.

We are leaking goals and not scoring goals yet his new players are on the bench.

If we win tonight I guess he gets some breathing space but I have very little faith he can turn this around.

1875-Hibernia
25-09-2019, 06:34 PM
He played 4 of his signings. One was Maxwell who should be cover for Marciano, the one position we didn’t need to strengthen. One defender, at least two of the other defenders are well off form and any half decent signing would’ve replaced them.
If you don’t think Vela looks lost then fair play, he’s been absolutely murder. Hallberg is the one player I think could turn into a player, we struggled when we replaced him.
But you’ve contradicted yourself to say that our own players that PH didn’t sign are letting us down, but then we shouldn’t expect them all to be replaced. If the signings were half decent at all they’d be in, simple as that.
Horgan hasn’t kicked a ball since April, Newell can’t get in, Mallan has barely kicked a ball since the middle of last season, can’t get dropped, our defence are shipping the most goals I’ve possibly seen, can’t be replaced.

I don’t feel I’ve contradicted myself at all - no manager sings an immediate brand new 11 for obvious reasons. The players need time to bed in and show they can be in first 11. Doidge needs game time to show what he’s worth. I do agree about Mallan, when he scored my second reaction was Christ he won’t be out team now.. I’ve not seen enough of Hallberg to fully comment on him but Vela looks like he can get there with match fitness.

1875-Hibernia
25-09-2019, 06:42 PM
I also admire your positivity and patience but I honestly cannot see where the next win is coming from.

Hecky has been given decent backing to reshape the squad and it looks seriously unbalanced.

The team don’t play as he says they will - at all.

We are leaking goals and not scoring goals yet his new players are on the bench.

If we win tonight I guess he gets some breathing space but I have very little faith he can turn this around.

I’ve said previously I don’t think he is the man to lead us to consistent European Place but I still think he will be giving time.

My biggest criticism of him is Newell and if he’s not good then let Murray take his spot.

Again though this should not stop people from going to the game. I think that just sets us back

hibbysam
25-09-2019, 06:44 PM
I don’t feel I’ve contradicted myself at all - no manager sings an immediate brand new 11 for obvious reasons. The players need time to bed in and show they can be in first 11. Doidge needs game time to show what he’s worth. I do agree about Mallan, when he scored my second reaction was Christ he won’t be out team now.. I’ve not seen enough of Hallberg to fully comment on him but Vela looks like he can get there with match fitness.

You don’t just persist with old players who are massively underperforming just to save having to play 8/9/10 new players though. If you sign better than what is there then they play, pre season is for match fitness and knitting a team together, we played a different side every single game and it’s showing now that no one is comfortable playing with the others. I actually hoped the goal and a couple of passes Mallan played would’ve given him the confidence but it didn’t as he completely hid the other 40 minutes of the second half.

cmcd
25-09-2019, 07:22 PM
You don’t just persist with old players who are massively underperforming just to save having to play 8/9/10 new players though. If you sign better than what is there then they play, pre season is for match fitness and knitting a team together, we played a different side every single game and it’s showing now that no one is comfortable playing with the others. I actually hoped the goal and a couple of passes Mallan played would’ve given him the confidence but it didn’t as he completely hid the other 40 minutes of the second half.

I don't believe any player hides.They may not play as well as they should but hide No

1875-Hibernia
26-09-2019, 07:08 PM
Update! It appears we no longer sing when we win*