PDA

View Full Version : Pat stanton. ..what can we learn

familyman
24-09-2019, 01:14 PM
I have had the great privilege to watch Pat during the 70's in what can only be described as a fantastic all round team..I had as now a season ticket.
I recall Pat being sent off by mistake ..ref got players mixed up!!!
As a captain who never shouted and screamed but calmly strolled through games with such skill ,it looked just too easy sometimes..but of course that was because he could do all that was needed without losing the plot.
Pat would look for an opportunity and burst through ,passing with such accuracy and always backtracking when needed.At the heart of the defence his calm approach proved infectious and reassured his team mates time and time again.
Our present lot lack the calm hold the ball approach and resort far too often to hit it away anywhere(and often to the wrong coloured jersey)..A magnificent player who could attack and defend whenever required...
Rather like a swan graceful for sure but working ever so hard almost unnoticed sometimes.
He was at the game when we got relegated and like me and everyone else in green devastated...
I really hope this match will be a chance for our players to finally STEP UP in some style and do him justice...
You know writing this I recall always expecting a win in the 70's at home ,and we always got one apart from the very odd dropped point to OLD FIRM, the point though was the expectation was we were winners and played that way under Turnbull week in week out.

Never mind writing in the press , show belief and :flag:just perform please ..Stay calm at the back but stay focussed .
Always a Hibee.

Hi Heid Yin
24-09-2019, 05:58 PM
I have had the great privilege to watch Pat during the 70's in what can only be described as a fantastic all round team..I had as now a season ticket.
I recall Pat being sent off by mistake ..ref got players mixed up!!!
As a captain who never shouted and screamed but calmly strolled through games with such skill ,it looked just too easy sometimes..but of course that was because he could do all that was needed without losing the plot.
Pat would look for an opportunity and burst through ,passing with such accuracy and always backtracking when needed.At the heart of the defence his calm approach proved infectious and reassured his team mates time and time again.
Our present lot lack the calm hold the ball approach and resort far too often to hit it away anywhere(and often to the wrong coloured jersey)..A magnificent player who could attack and defend whenever required...
Rather like a swan graceful for sure but working ever so hard almost unnoticed sometimes.
He was at the game when we got relegated and like me and everyone else in green devastated...
I really hope this match will be a chance for our players to finally STEP UP in some style and do him justice...
You know writing this I recall always expecting a win in the 70's at home ,and we always got one apart from the very odd dropped point to OLD FIRM, the point though was the expectation was we were winners and played that way under Turnbull week in week out.

Never mind writing in the press , show belief and :flag:just perform please ..Stay calm at the back but stay focussed .
Always a Hibee.

You captured the essence of the great man perfectly, and I get where you are coming from, but there is not a single player in our present squad fit to tie Paddy's boot laces.

BILLYHIBS
24-09-2019, 07:44 PM
This is where I am

My old man used to bang on about the Famous Five and I used to bang on about Turnbulls Tornadoes

Do not get me wrong there have been some fine HIBS teams over the years but it tends to come in cycles

It was not that long ago we won the Holy Grail

The present lot football wise would make your eyes bleed

It is still early days let us see what the season brings it can only get better but it might have to get worse first

Cannae believe I had a discussion on here about who was the best Flo Kamberi or Jimmy ORourke bearing in mind Wee Jimmy was an inside forward 😂

I think I must be turning into my Auld Boy