PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Welsh interview

Col L
23-09-2019, 08:37 PM
Apologies if it’s been posted elsewhere but there was a good phone interview with Irvine on Sportsound tonight, well worth a listen.
He unsurprisingly shares the frustration of the vast majority, wants a change of management (fast!) and is alarmed at how quickly we’ve degenerated from a quality team to a bland rudderless side lacking ideas or fight.
He wasn’t in ‘Trainspotting’ mode and made some good, well considered points.

Sammy7nil
23-09-2019, 09:10 PM
the mention of his tweet about a team of Leith Jakies being better organised than the Hibs teams was almost TS :greengrin

wookie70
23-09-2019, 09:17 PM
He had lots to say for someone who has been to two games all season.

BoomtownHibees
23-09-2019, 09:19 PM

He was at Motherwell and that alone would have been enough to know how ***** this team is

The 90+2
23-09-2019, 09:25 PM

Does that mean he’s not a real fan or entitled to his opinion?

Diclonius
23-09-2019, 09:27 PM

A lot of high profile Hibs fans would do well to go to any at all given their schedule. I thought he didn't even live here?

Sammy7nil
23-09-2019, 09:28 PM

Said he watched Hibs tv

wookie70
23-09-2019, 09:51 PM

He is entitled to his opinion but it has to be put in context with him only attending two games. He is clearly a Hibs fan but his celebrity means nothing when talking about Hibs. He is a single fan who has attended two games this season. I thought Michael Stewart talked well on the show and he has probably seen a good bit more of Hecks Hibs than Irvine W and certainly knows more about football.

FilipinoHibs
23-09-2019, 09:52 PM

Could have watched to on Hibs TV if lives abroad which he does.

BILLYHIBS
23-09-2019, 09:59 PM
Interesting what Michael Stewart had to say “No men in the HIBS team just now”

The core of the team is missing two hardmen midfielders and a hard no nonsense centre half ( Daz ) needed

Irvine feels there is no goals in the team and if this decline continues relegation beckons

Need a new coach to put fire in their bellies

madhatter
23-09-2019, 10:07 PM
He is entitled to his opinion but it has to be put in context with him only attending two games. He is clearly a Hibs fan but his celebrity means nothing when talking about Hibs. He is a single fan who has attended two games this season. I thought Michael Stewart talked well on the show and he has probably seen a good bit more of Hecks Hibs than Irvine W and certainly knows more about football.

I thought Irvine summarised most Hibs supporters feelings at the moment. Irvine has as much right to talk about Hibs as Jackie being on the HSL board. Jackie used to go to the big home games last season but I don’t think he goes anymore. Might be wrong. I mean Charlie Reid was associated with HSL, how many games do the Reid’s take in? Michael Stewart does talk some sense at times but he also talks a lot of drivel.

Don’t understand taking this stance against a fellow fan that travels the world for his work...You seem bothered that he has only attended two games. Maybe he watched on HibsTV or on the radio while abroad. Does it really matter? After all, he was sort of right in his assessment. Most Hibs fans have had enough.

BILLYHIBS
23-09-2019, 10:20 PM
I thought Irvine summarised most Hibs supporters feelings at the moment. Irvine has as much right to talk about Hibs as Jackie being on the HSL board. Jackie used to go to the big home games last season but I don’t think he goes anymore. Might be wrong. I mean Charlie Reid was associated with HSL, how many games do the Reid’s take in? Michael Stewart does talk some sense at times but he also talks a lot of drivel.

Don’t understand taking this stance against a fellow fan that travels the world for his work...You seem bothered that he has only attended two games. Maybe he watched on HibsTV or on the radio while abroad. Does it really matter? After all, he was sort of right in his assessment. Most Hibs fans have had enough.

Jackie Mac SNR now lives in Spain

TheMentalHibees
23-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Is there a link to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibbysam
23-09-2019, 10:24 PM

The core of the team is missing two hardmen midfielders and a hard no nonsense centre half ( Daz ) needed

Irvine feels there is no goals in the team and if this decline continues relegation beckons

McGregor might be a hardman and no nonsense, however we need better than that, we need better than Gray, Stevenson, Hanlon at the back now. That’s where our recruitment needs to be yet we have went with an ageing injury prone defence that are 1/2 years beyond their sell by date. I agree that we don’t have any leaders or ‘men’ in the side but I’d rather we recruited properly rather than relied on boys who are past it based solely on sentiment.

Smartie
23-09-2019, 10:34 PM
Is there a link to this?

https://player.fm/series/scottish-football-1301511/sportsound-podcast-23-sept-19-hibs-fan-novelist-irvine-welsh-on-why-he-wants-change-at-easter-road

madhatter
23-09-2019, 10:35 PM
Jackie Mac SNR now lives in Spain

Thought so, he used to sit in same row as me.

e2los
23-09-2019, 10:35 PM
Is there a link to this?

https://player.fm/series/scottish-football-1301511/sportsound-podcast-23-sept-19-hibs-fan-novelist-irvine-welsh-on-why-he-wants-change-at-easter-road

Michael
23-09-2019, 10:36 PM

I know, Hibs are winning by 8 goals every week - why's he complaining?

brianmc
23-09-2019, 10:37 PM
Passive aggressive úber fan ***** in reply post #2 to a reasonable OP sums up how low things on the good ship Hibernian have sunk.

BILLYHIBS
23-09-2019, 10:45 PM
Thought so, he used to sit in same row as me.

And me!

Is that you Madhatter?

madhatter
23-09-2019, 10:58 PM
And me!

Is that you Madhatter?

Barely spoke to him in truth, only got out the way when he wanted to pop to the loo. Remarkable how similar the family looks. He was before my time. I grew up during his son’s time at Celtic.

I’m fairly anonymous in my section, get to know faces and all that which is nice as it gives some familiarity. Kevin Thomson was a couple of rows in front as well last season if I remember correctly. Seems to be a privileged section, I mean to have me in it alone :greengrin

Hermit Crab
23-09-2019, 11:36 PM

He mostly lives in the US doesn't he?

MagicSwirlingShip
23-09-2019, 11:50 PM

Think he’s mostly in London now HC. Has been in Chicago & Miami previously.

FilipinoHibs
24-09-2019, 12:17 AM
Think he’s mostly in London now HC. Has been in Chicago & Miami previously.

Was in Chicago with his wife. They announced they are getting divorced in 2018 so may well be living in London. I live in the Philippines with my Filipina wife but if we were getting divorced I would be back to Leith!

Iggy Pope
24-09-2019, 12:19 AM

Where did Irvine get his medals, caps or coaching badges? Couldn’t kick ***** off a dyke. Last time I met him at a game (Elfsborg) he was off his tits the entire weekend and didn’t know Gothenburg fi Muihoose.
He speaks the same reactionary stuff as the rest of us but watches a lot less than the rest of us. I’ll keep buying his books and leave it at that.

monktonharp
24-09-2019, 01:49 AM
Where did Irvine get his medals, caps or coaching badges? Couldn’t kick ***** off a dyke. Last time I met him at a game (Elfsborg) he was off his tits the entire weekend and didn’t know Gothenburg fi Muihoose.
He speaks the same reactionary stuff as the rest of us but watches a lot less than the rest of us. I’ll keep buying his books and leave it at that.fairly good assessment there Mr Pope. he probably knows as much about fitba' as I do about the internet. good books though.:agree:

BILLYHIBS
24-09-2019, 04:13 AM

Also on Spotify BBC Radio Scotland Sportsound

Sorry no link

green day
24-09-2019, 05:59 AM

Irvine Welsh probably has as much right as anyone to comment on our performances. Its clear from his twitter that he watches Hibs TV when he is abroad, takes in matches when here, and has plenty mates that are Hibs fans.

However, back to your question -

I understand that he has a new lady in his life who lives here (source, my wife - who was talking to her a couple of weeks back) hence he has been here a lot this year.

InchHibby
24-09-2019, 07:08 AM
There are loads of Hibs fans who don’t attend games or can only make the odd few matches, for what ever reasons it doesn’t really matter, it doesn’t make you any less of a Hibby and your still entitled to an opinion. Even watching the odd game on telly or reading the reports, most fans would know whether things were going well or not, in this case you don’t have to be a football mastermind to realise the appointment of Heckinbottom and his football ways just aren’t working for this club and it doesn’t look like he has the ability to sort it, the main reason being is the duds he’s bought, who he’s got rid of, and his inability to man manage mostly by instilling confidence and inspiration.
There are people who have supported the team all their lives but may now be in a position not to be able to do it anymore, doesn’t mean they are not keeping up with it and certainly doesn’t mean they can’t have an opinion.

jacomo
24-09-2019, 07:18 AM

It’s a fair point.

FWIW I agree with a lot of what Irvine Welsh says, but it is just one fan’s opinion (albeit a famous one).

No substitute for watching a game live imo.

BILLYHIBS
24-09-2019, 07:38 AM
He speaks the same reactionary stuff as the rest of us but watches a lot less than the rest of us. I’ll keep buying his books and leave it at that.

:agree:

His books are good signed my first edition hardback Dead Mans Trousers “ To Billyhibs Best wishes Irvine Welsh GGTTH “

Must be worth at least £10 :greengrin

FilipinoHibs
24-09-2019, 07:48 AM
It’s a fair point.

FWIW I agree with a lot of what Irvine Welsh says, but it is just one fan’s opinion (albeit a famous one).

No substitute for watching a game live imo.

As other posters have mentioned there are many reasons why long term fans cant go to games. Work and family make take you abroad as is my case. Subscribing to Hibs TV I am seeing more games as many away are now on. Also, you are cut off from the moaners in the crowd. But agree with most of what Welsh is saying. Having lived through Butcher,Fenlon and Calderwood,Duff etc the lesson learned was we did not act quickly enough to make the change. I was for giving PH more time till about the Motherwell game. Since then I wanted him sacked. I fear we are going to make the same error as before. But Hardie in EEN indicating he has got to international break. He needs to win against Killie, a respectful result versus Celtic (less than a 3-0 defeat) and not loose to Aberdeen to survive. So will be gone soon.

Cataplana
24-09-2019, 08:40 AM
Just waiting for somebody to say they kent his father.

You don't have to go to the games to see how rotten we are. You can watch telly and read newspaper reports and quickly pick up on the problems.

Or, you could even read Hibs.net. Michael Stewart does, he knows what fans are thinking, and what they are saying, and that's why he's so popular.

jacomo
24-09-2019, 08:46 AM
As other posters have mentioned there are many reasons why long term fans cant go to games. Work and family make take you abroad as is my case. Subscribing to Hibs TV I am seeing more games as many away are now on. Also, you are cut off from the moaners in the crowd. But agree with most of what Welsh is saying. Having lived through Butcher,Fenlon and Calderwood,Duff etc the lesson learned was we did not act quickly enough to make the change. I was for giving PH more time till about the Motherwell game. Since then I wanted him sacked. I fear we are going to make the same error as before. But Hardie in EEN indicating he has got to international break. He needs to win against Killie, a respectful result versus Celtic (less than a 3-0 defeat) and not loose to Aberdeen to survive. So will be gone soon.

That’s fine, everyone’s situation is different and no judgement from me.

I am just pointing out that there is no substitute for seeing a game live. TV coverage (especially our fairly basic system) follows the ball. It does not give the full picture of just how bad our shape is.

Believe me, we are absolutely lost at the moment. This is what fans are noticing and why patience has run out.

hibeerealist
24-09-2019, 09:36 AM

So he has only been to two games, is his opinion of where we are wrong then Cos he only went to two games?

He might have watched the other games, in full, on his tv. Two games would be enough to sum up this team in any event.

But to criticise as he has only been to two games is nonsense.

hibeerealist
24-09-2019, 09:42 AM

Most of us agree with him on this anyway, however, there is always the small minority that like to be heard, carry on .....

JimBHibees
He has as much right as any other fans to his opinion especially if watching regular games whether in person or live on tv.

Pretty Boy
Some good points, some I don't agree with. Just like any fans opinion really.

I've no reason to pay Irvine Welsh's opinion any less, or more, attention because he has a talent and uses it to be successful. He watches the games, he's entitled to his view.

chrisski33
24-09-2019, 09:54 AM

He has Hibstv and isn't saying anything that we all don't know. He's entitled to his opinion like my other fan no matter how many games they can attend

Alfred E Newman
24-09-2019, 10:20 AM
Even if he is just a part time celebrity fan and only been to two games, I have to say I agreed with everything he said.

badabing67
24-09-2019, 10:46 AM

He lives in Chicago and still gets to games to support his team, plus he watches on Hibs TV when he's out the country he said. I agreed with what he said. I have only been to 2 games also St Mirren and Hertz missed the St Johnstone game. What we think is still valid

badabing67
24-09-2019, 10:50 AM
Is there a link to this?

You will need to listen to the sporstsound podcast will be on the BBC app i listen regularly

Marvellous
24-09-2019, 11:18 AM

He's not a footballer but he is an author and so I would guess that at there are at least some people who like the way he communicates.

Also, you might want to look up the meaning of the word "reactionary". Maybe if you read more books you'd know what it means. :wink:

wookie70
24-09-2019, 12:12 PM
He lives in Chicago and still gets to games to support his team, plus he watches on Hibs TV when he's out the country he said. I agreed with what he said. I have only been to 2 games also St Mirren and Hertz missed the St Johnstone game. What we think is still valid

What you think is an opinion based on a couple of games. You are more than entitled to it whether you agree with another fan or not. I've missed a few games and watched them on Hibs TV but the TV isn't the best for seeing all that goes on in a game. I'm entitled to my opinion on the games I missed but perhaps it isn't fully valid as I had a fairly narrow view of the game.

MB62
24-09-2019, 01:11 PM
Was in Chicago with his wife. They announced they are getting divorced in 2018 so may well be living in London. I live in the Philippines with my Filipina wife but if we were getting divorced I would be back to Leith!

Try and make sure you stay married, for a while yet anyway :wink: :greengrin

Squealing pig
24-09-2019, 02:20 PM
Also on the James English podcast on YouTube along with a lot of other interviews worth watching 👍

Cataplana
24-09-2019, 03:23 PM
If we follow the logic on this thread, the only person qualified to comment is someone who has been to every game, and watched every training session.

I think that would exclude everybody commenting on here.

Iggy Pope
24-09-2019, 08:18 PM
He's not a footballer but he is an author and so I would guess that at there are at least some people who like the way he communicates.

Also, you might want to look up the meaning of the word "reactionary". Maybe if you read more books you'd know what it means. :wink:

I know what it means you patronising erse!
I like the way he communicates but he’s as much of an authority on the subject of Hibs or football in general as you are. Or me. In other words not much at all when it boils down to it. Stick a mic in his face and he’ll REACT by saying whatever his ****ing mouth tells him to.

Iggy Pope
24-09-2019, 08:22 PM
Most of us agree with him on this anyway, however, there is always the small minority that like to be heard, carry on .....

What? You don’t like to be heard? Get yourself on to the Alloa forum or something. Carry on ...

FilipinoHibs
24-09-2019, 09:32 PM
Try and make sure you stay married, for a while yet anyway :wink: :greengrin

Don't worry I am back regularly. You will know as the singing picks up noticeably when I am at ER.

I'm Spartacus
24-09-2019, 10:14 PM

Anybody who needs more than 2 games to see how pi5h we are these days just doesn't know how the game works.

FilipinoHibs
25-09-2019, 04:17 AM
Also on Hibs TV because they stick most of the time to the landscape view and the ball moves about left to right and right to left, it is very easy to see formations and shapes. In fact the two dimensions of TV make it easier to pick out plus the high up camera position.

Coco Bryce
25-09-2019, 06:36 AM
Sure he lives in London now. In Edinburgh all the time. Seen him many times over the last year drinking in Leith and in town.

He's entitled to his opinion as anyone else. All this 'he's a writer so what does he know about football' garbage.

FilipinoHibs
25-09-2019, 10:55 AM
Sure he lives in London now. In Edinburgh all the time. Seen him many times over the last year drinking in Leith and in town.

He's entitled to his opinion as anyone else. All this 'he's a writer so what does he know about football' garbage.

What professions do know about football?

Smartie
25-09-2019, 12:13 PM
He's a fan and I'm always interested to hear Hibs fans' opinions, even when they are nonsense, which Irvine's opinion is certainly not (on this occasion).

Coco Bryce
25-09-2019, 12:21 PM
What professions do know about football?

That was my point.

Someone further up the thread was splaffing some pish about 'When did he get his coaching badges' blah blah blah.

Here’s Lucy!
25-09-2019, 12:36 PM
I loved all his books but don’t really need to be hearing his opinion on our team.

He’s stating the bleeding obvious anyway, and almost any one of us could have come out with this guff.

blackpoolhibs
25-09-2019, 02:27 PM
I loved all his books but don’t really need to be hearing his opinion on our team.

He’s stating the bleeding obvious anyway, and almost any one of us could have come out with this guff.

It appears that football forums are not for you then, if you don't like other people's opinions.

heretoday
25-09-2019, 04:22 PM

I've not enjoyed his books for some years. Let's face it, Trainspotting was the tops and the early short stories too.

Not that it's got anything to do with the footer! :greengrin

Since452
26-09-2019, 02:11 PM
Favourites for relegation? Is he back on the smack?

Barman Stanton
26-09-2019, 02:17 PM
I've not enjoyed his books for some years. Let's face it, Trainspotting was the tops and the early short stories too.

Not that it's got anything to do with the footer! :greengrin

Trainspotting is not a patch on Glue in my opinion. Would definitely give it a read if you have not already.

The 90+2
26-09-2019, 02:42 PM
Favourites for relegation? Is he back on the smack?

Who is favourites for relegation then?

The 90+2
26-09-2019, 02:42 PM
Trainspotting is not a patch on Glue in my opinion. Would definitely give it a read if you have not already.

Glue is my fave book ever. Good call.

Smartie
26-09-2019, 03:58 PM
Marabou Stork Nightmares was my favourite.

A quite outstanding piece of writing.

BILLYHIBS
26-09-2019, 06:07 PM
Enjoyed Filth

I often wonder where he got the inspiration for the despicable DS Bruce Robertson from? :greengrin

WoreTheGreen
26-09-2019, 06:14 PM
Enjoyed Filth

I often wonder where he got the inspiration for the despicable DS Bruce Robertson from? :greengrin

Loved the scene with David Soul as the taxi driver-Silver Lady

Jones28
26-09-2019, 06:19 PM
Nothing wrong with what Irvine Welsh said.

Saints are bottom having played ourselves, Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic. We are second bottom having played Rangers and Saints, with the head to head a draw between us and their fixture list we are probably favourites at this point in time.

BILLYHIBS
26-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Loved the scene with David Soul as the taxi driver-Silver Lady

:aok:

Up there with Barman Stanton in The Acid House

Since452
26-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Nothing wrong with what Irvine Welsh said.

Saints are bottom having played ourselves, Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic. We are second bottom having played Rangers and Saints, with the head to head a draw between us and their fixture list we are probably favourites at this point in time.

You really think Hibs are favourites to go down?

Iggy Pope
26-09-2019, 08:53 PM
That was my point.

Someone further up the thread was splaffing some pish about 'When did he get his coaching badges' blah blah blah.

Very Welshonian prose.
That pish further up the thread was spraffed in response to his opinion being somehow revered. An authority if you like. **** knows why. It’s just his ****ing opinion like all the other pish spraffed on here. He wouldn’t know a dressing room if it landed in his soup and he’s decided we are favourites for relegation as he’s been to a game now and someone used his ‘celebrity’ existence to ask him. He needs to get back up to Lord Toms for his hole.

Jones28
26-09-2019, 08:54 PM
You really think Hibs are favourites to go down?

Now? On the form guide and based on who we’ve played? Who is your choice?

One Day Soon
26-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Very Welshonian prose.
That pish further up the thread was spraffed in response to his opinion being somehow revered. An authority if you like. **** knows why. It’s just his ****ing opinion like all the other pish spraffed on here. He wouldn’t know a dressing room if it landed in his soup and he’s decided we are favourites for relegation as he’s been to a game now and someone used his ‘celebrity’ existence to ask him. He needs to get back up to Lord Toms for his hole.

Spectacular post.

Carheenlea
26-09-2019, 10:43 PM
I enjoyed his recent podcast interview with James English more than the sportsound one. Not a huge amount of Hibs chat but still an engaging listen. (Podcast can be downloaded from your preferred source on all the usual outlets:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0P5i3pIWU8Q

Hibbyradge
26-09-2019, 11:14 PM
Who is favourites for relegation then?

St Mirren are 7/4 to finish bottom.

Hibs are 100/1.