PDA

View Full Version : Next Manager so what really are the options ?

FatPat
23-09-2019, 01:56 PM
So what are the boards realistic options

Plan A Stick with Heckingbottom see if it improves and find funds for next transfer window - then panic if we seriously run risk of relegation

Plan B Punt him now / soon and appoint a steady hand with knowledge of the Scottish game to steer clear of relegation - in other words one of the failed Largs mafia

Plan C Punt him soon with a new ideas / new approach / non Scottish coach and risk another Heckingbottom type disaster

I hope Leanne and Ron are seriously sounding out people as we speak but I honestly fear that they aren't. This to me will really show what our new Owner is about. Does he suffer fools gladly and accept what is obviously failure? Does he have the cash to punt Heckingbottom and pay compensation and fund a new manager and his transfer demands at Christmas ? Or are we stuck with this and become a mediocre bottom six club? Christ this is depressing times.

.Sean.
23-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Stubbs

Gloucester Hibs
23-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Stubbs
Collins
Jack Ross
Davie Moyes
Martin O'Neil
Strachan
Stephen Robinson

Some of the names I've heard mentioned in the past week or so as replacements for PHB either in the short term or the long term. Right now I think any of them would improve our fortunes!

stantonsboots
23-09-2019, 02:06 PM
Stephen Robinson all day long!

The 90+2
23-09-2019, 02:12 PM
Stubbs Robinson or McLeish for me realistically.

Ross or Moyes otherwise.

Bobby's Cinema
23-09-2019, 02:15 PM
Gary Holt - and bring Marv back with him

Alex Trager
23-09-2019, 02:17 PM
I’d be delighted to get Moyes or Strachan in.

Can’t see either

FatPat
23-09-2019, 02:24 PM
I think what you/we are all forgetting is would a lot of the people on the list actually want the job?

Moyes are you kidding - 1 he would want bucket loads of money - 2 he would want a huge transfer budget - 3 he is only biding time until either the Celtic job comes up or a Premier League or Championship job comes up that can pay him millions then he would be offski

rodhibs55
23-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Brian Rice ?

DoubleDangerous
23-09-2019, 02:30 PM
Strachan for me.

Wellbankhibby
23-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Strachan for me.

Strachan for me too and whoever is scouting for Motherwell, they sign Fantastic replacements

badabing67
23-09-2019, 02:40 PM
Brian Rice ?

I mentioned him in a previous thread no seemed interested in him as an option, I think he would do a job for us at least he tries to play football and he has played for us. Also think Scot Gemmill would be worth a punt, But Steve Robinson would definitely steady the ship if we could get him he'd be my preferred choice.

Hibernian32
23-09-2019, 02:48 PM
I was kinda thinking Robinson but he's been at motherwell what 3 seasons now and never been in the top 6

Think we can muster something a bit better.

WhileTheChief..
23-09-2019, 02:50 PM
A proper established, experienced manager, preferably that’s won something in his career.

The Leith Dutch
23-09-2019, 03:24 PM
A proper established, experienced manager, preferably that’s won something in his career.

This is where my head's at.
Stubbs did well but for me Hibs isn't a job for a rookie.
Badly as it ended we felt like a big club under Lennon.
You don't get that with a new manager generally.

hibIBZ
23-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Henrik Larsson?

Ozyhibby
23-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Roy Keane? Not sure how good he would be but would make for great viewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CloudSquall
23-09-2019, 03:31 PM
Strachan would be my choice.

Golden Bear
23-09-2019, 03:32 PM
Strachan would be my choice.

I'll second that.

lyonhibs
23-09-2019, 03:35 PM

These criteria do rather clash with all of the named examples elsewhere on this thread showing that the number of managers that fit that bill and are vaguely realistic for Hibs is not high at all.

I'd like someone I've never heard of with some pedigree somewhere hot and totally random, with no preconceptions or respect for the Old Firm and a network of contacts outside the UK. He must also have a really cool name :greengrin

Torto7
Stubbsy. I want some optimism and joy back.

Jones28
Roy Keane? Not sure how good he would be but would make for great viewing.

Replacing an unlikeable person with a complete prick is a no for me.

scuttle
23-09-2019, 03:36 PM
I was kinda thinking Robinson but he's been at motherwell what 3 seasons now and never been in the top 6

Think we can muster something a bit better.

Agree, i dont get the excitement about this guy. Might be a good time to appoint a foreign manager once Hecky goes

Box 17
23-09-2019, 03:37 PM

Tommy Wright ticks all these boxes and with a club that survive on a fraction of the resourses Hibs have.

Hibs90
23-09-2019, 03:39 PM
Tommy Wright ticks all these boxes and with a club that survive on a fraction of the resourses Hibs have.

No thanks. Butcher-esque appointment.

23-09-2019, 03:40 PM
Bring Strachan home

Hibs90
23-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Aitor Karanka?

Hibernian32
23-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Agree, i dont get the excitement about this guy. Might be a good time to appoint a foreign manager once Hecky goes

Yes someone with a raj name as well brings a bit of flair with him too.

A greasy haired Italian with the Scott Allan hair cut.

Captain Trips
23-09-2019, 03:44 PM
Robinson from Motherwell or outside the box perhaps somebody from the Danish or Norwegian leagues. Ronny Deila?

Partyraiser
23-09-2019, 03:47 PM
Claudio Ranieri

Lago
23-09-2019, 03:56 PM
By the time is all sorted there will be little or no money left so it's going to be a cheap option, ie another unknown.

percy veer
23-09-2019, 04:00 PM

Problem being simply surviving wont get many fans onside, different pressure at hibs to st j

MSK
23-09-2019, 04:01 PM
Henrik Larsson?Heading for Southend I think

Unseen work
23-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Strachan and Mcleish really don’t do it for me and would feel like a retirement gig for them.

Strachans smart arse comments would also become enfuriating.

I want a young hungry manager who recognises how big a job they have plus the expectations that go with it.

Gary Holt has done a brilliant job at Livi - Could he make the step up to a much bigger team, resources and pressure? A big part of livis success is also the pitch they play on imo.

Stephen Robinson - Same concerns as Holt

We could list hundreds of managers for which there are pros and cons, some teams are just suited to certain personnel.

Jack Ross would fit the bill imo.

Also seen someone mention Billy Reid who could prove to be a shrewd acquisition.

NOLA
23-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Ian Cathro [emoji985]

EVENTUALLY
23-09-2019, 05:00 PM
Danny Lennon

Leitherhibs
23-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Bob bradley and Nolberto Solano.

RoYO!
23-09-2019, 05:08 PM

Well that’s Craig Levein out then..

heretoday
23-09-2019, 05:14 PM
How about the guy who coaches Edinburgh City. I think he was on our staff at one time but I can't remember his name.
They're doing pretty well.

Percy Vere
23-09-2019, 05:16 PM
Stubbs
Collins
Jack Ross
Davie Moyes
Martin O'Neil
Strachan
Stephen Robinson

Some of the names I've heard mentioned in the past week or so as replacements for PHB either in the short term or the long term. Right now I think any of them would improve our fortunes!

Why Collins? He’s an arse. And what’s he done?
What’s Ross done?
We couldn’t afford Moyes but yeah.
O’Neil would be great but again .. money.
Strachan - would he want to?
Robinson (we need to pay off PH and Motherwell to get him) I don’t think so.

Hibernian32
23-09-2019, 05:19 PM
How about the guy who coaches Edinburgh City. I think he was on our staff at one time but I can't remember his name.
They're doing pretty well.

Can't have him he selects Craig Thomson every week the weirdo

calumhibee1
23-09-2019, 05:22 PM
Aitor Karanka?

This.

No idea if he’d be attainable or not but he’s probably the guy from all the names mentioned that I would want the most.

bingo70
23-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Why Collins? He’s an arse. And what’s he done?
What’s Ross done?
We couldn’t afford Moyes but yeah.
O’Neil would be great but again .. money.
Strachan - would he want to?
Robinson (we need to pay off PH and Motherwell to get him) I don’t think so.

Moyes hasn’t worked in ages and was apparently interested in the Killie job, I don’t see why he’s so out of our reach?

Don’t see the fuss with Robinson, he’s no made the top 6 the last 2 years, Tommy Wright has a better record with smaller resources, not that I’d want him either though.

The Count
23-09-2019, 05:24 PM
As much as Hecky disappoints us and we shunt him after we get pumped on Wednesday and horsed on Sunday who is out there? No standouts that i can see so if Jack does become available why not.Did well with St.Mirren and was the brains behind Murray at Dumbarton.

hibs#1
23-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Robinson from Motherwell or outside the box perhaps somebody from the Danish or Norwegian leagues. Ronny Deila?

I suggested Ronny Deila before and I don't think it would be the worst shout ever.

Franck Stanton
23-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Just my opinion but Stubbs came in when we were at an all time low, only had around 9 signed players, took the club by the scruff of the neck and very quickly made us a very good team that played entertaining football. Signed good players and gave us the best footballing day of our lives. Deserves another chance with us, after all, we all know he left for reasons out with football. Those reasons no longer exist.

B.H.F.C
23-09-2019, 06:09 PM
I never really wanted Stubbs back last time round. I think it’s a no brainer, when the time come, to give him it to the end of the season.

We don’t have any time to waste and he’d come back in a minute. There would be no settling in period because he knows the club inside out. He’d be in the door and able to get on with what he needs to do right away.

bingo70
23-09-2019, 06:13 PM
I never really wanted Stubbs back last time round. I think it’s a no brainer, when the time come, to give him it to the end of the season.

We don’t have any time to waste and he’d come back in a minute. There would be no settling in period because he knows the club inside out. He’d be in the door and able to get on with what he needs to do right away.

I’m a bit like that as well.

He’s not my choice to come back at all but I can see the sense in doing so this time.

Chris1
23-09-2019, 06:19 PM

I’d have Stubbs back to the end of the season to see how it goes, but only if he comes with Doolan.

But I was lead to believe it all ended on a bit of a sour note last time. Not sure if there is any truth in that or not but might rule him out if it did go that way.

LustForLeith
23-09-2019, 06:20 PM
I think what you/we are all forgetting is would a lot of the people on the list actually want the job?

Moyes are you kidding - 1 he would want bucket loads of money - 2 he would want a huge transfer budget - 3 he is only biding time until either the Celtic job comes up or a Premier League or Championship job comes up that can pay him millions then he would be offski

How close was Moyes to getting the Killie job? I’m sure I read it although I might be wrong that he was up for a new job in Scotland.

He’s got a bit of a damaged reputation and could do by building it at Hibs. Also, I reckon he’s made quite a bit of money already, especially from his Man United pay off.

I reckon a lot of people wouldn’t have thoughts we could have afforded Lennon. And we did

Lago
23-09-2019, 06:29 PM
I’m a bit like that as well.

He’s not my choice to come back at all but I can see the sense in doing so this time.

I think it would end in tears.

Dolce7
23-09-2019, 08:25 PM
Tommy Wright has done well at St Johnstone with the resources

WhileTheChief..
23-09-2019, 08:35 PM
How close was Moyes to getting the Killie job? I’m sure I read it although I might be wrong that he was up for a new job in Scotland.

He’s got a bit of a damaged reputation and could do by building it at Hibs. Also, I reckon he’s made quite a bit of money already, especially from his Man United pay off.

I reckon a lot of people wouldn’t have thoughts we could have afforded Lennon. And we did

Ole will be available soon!

jacomo
23-09-2019, 08:42 PM

He has but I can’t help but think it just wouldn’t work at Hibs.

Bit like Liam Craig or Danny Swanson really.

Box 17
23-09-2019, 08:53 PM

Passionate guy is Wright as we've seen a few times recently at ER and is the
stand out candidate if it's someone with SPFL experience we're after.

He has a proven track record having won the Scottish Cup and taken a small club into Europe and punching above their weight consistently. And he would likely be available and more realistically within our budget than most of the names mentioned.

St J are below us in the league I hear you say. Well they lost some of their better players during the window and have had the hardest of fixtures at the start of the season. No surprise if they overtake us in the next few weeks if things don't change.

The 90+2
23-09-2019, 08:54 PM
Passionate guy is Wright as we've seen a few times recently at ER and is the stand out candidate if it's someone with SPFL experience we're after.

He has a proven track record having won the Scottish Cup and taken a small club into Europe and punching above their weight consistently. And he would likely be available and more realistically within our budget than most of the names mentioned.

St J are below us in the league I hear you say. Well they lost some of their better players during the window and have had the hardest of fixtures at the start of the season. No surprise if they overtake us in the next few weeks if things don't change.

Got Bobby Williamson written all over it.

Colr
23-09-2019, 09:12 PM
Strachan with Kenny Miller as player assistant

sleeping giant
23-09-2019, 09:19 PM
Stubbs.
At least we would have a go.

the tornadoe
23-09-2019, 09:34 PM
Before our current Manager was announced we were told there were numerous applications from potential candidates and we ended up with Heckingbottom. .... what if the position was not " attractive " enough for the better managers out there who are being mentioned now ?
We as a support have no real idea who was interested last time other than Appleton and Heckingbottom, Appleton is not in a " high profile " job just now so who is to say this is the best caliber of manager we can attract.... is the position of Hibernian head coach not attractive enough or is it not MADE attractive enough by the current board.

cloudy
23-09-2019, 09:38 PM
Kevin Thomson

BILLYHIBS
23-09-2019, 09:44 PM
Ian McCall leaves Ayr United to rejoin Partick Thistle

One Day In Time
23-09-2019, 10:44 PM
Strachan? The same Strachan who benched Leigh as he wasn’t tall enough and no use at defending set pieces? That Strachan?

God help us. The mans a dinosaur.

Nicho87
23-09-2019, 10:49 PM
Stubbs all day. Plays in the right way. Even with the imposters from down south least we would implicate a philosophy to build on.

Smartie
23-09-2019, 10:52 PM
How about Garry Parker?

He might fancy a chance at the top job somewhere, knows the club and Scottish football.

Unlikely given the breakdown in relations that happened between Dempster and Lennon.

Unseen work
23-09-2019, 10:55 PM
Tommy Wright as our manager gives me the absolute fear.

I was against Stubbs coming back but it’s that bad now I’m getting to the stage where I’m like yeah just do it, it can’t be any worse....can it?

He would at least play to our teams strengths which imo is passing it on the ground, we have good technical players and I think our long ball tactics and moving the ball so slowly is killing us.

Stubbs would introduce a tempo to our play and encourage the players

I imagine he would come in and go a 352 which I think were suited to

.........................Maxwell.................. ....

..........Porteous....Jackson....Hanlon.....

Naismith. ....Mallan.......Vela.......Stevenson......

...........................Allan.............

.................Kamberi......Doidge.......

I think Stevenson would struggle in the wing back role, don’t think Middleton is good enough defensively. Newell has played there before but unsure how well....

I think Mackie would do really well as a wing back, just a shame he’s been punted on loan....

Hibernia&Alba
23-09-2019, 10:58 PM

I'd be happy with that. Not sure he'd be interested, but he grew up a Hibs fan.

Moyes would be great, but again, not sure we could get him, despite his stock being low now.

joebakerforever
24-09-2019, 12:11 AM

Alternatively, Kenny Miller as non-playing Manager, with Gordon Strachan i/c recruitment/advisor.

Or the big gamble :- Michael Stewart who impresses with his media analysis, but could he put theory into practice as a Manager??

Thought about Tony Mowbray's sidekick - Mark Venus, but would guess he'll be earning more than Hibs would be willing to match his current remuneration package as as assistant head coach of Blackburn Rovers.

bigwheel
24-09-2019, 02:18 AM
The thing I’m noting from this thread is that none of the options look that interesting..

Unless we were getting a Strachan or a Moyes - they all look like real gambles .

Deek01
24-09-2019, 02:45 AM
Yogi

MagicSwirlingShip
24-09-2019, 03:12 AM
Has Strachan not just committed long term to his post as Technical Director at Dundee? Can’t see him leaving that job to get back into full time management.

Scott Gemmell would be my shout. Has served his apprenticeship and will have picked up knowledge of the best emerging talents in our game. Did he play with Stubbs at Everton?

CathroMustStay
24-09-2019, 04:52 AM
Alternatively, Kenny Miller as non-playing Manager, with Gordon Strachan i/c recruitment/advisor.

Or the big gamble :- Michael Stewart who impresses with his media analysis, but could he put theory into practice as a Manager??

Thought about Tony Mowbray's sidekick - Mark Venus, but would guess he'll be earning more than Hibs would be willing to match his current remuneration package as as assistant head coach of Blackburn Rovers.

Michael Stewart would be about as good as management as Gary Neville was at Valencia.

Jones28
24-09-2019, 06:01 AM

I was against Stubbs coming back but it’s that bad now I’m getting to the stage where I’m like yeah just do it, it can’t be any worse....can it?

He would at least play to our teams strengths which imo is passing it on the ground, we have good technical players and I think our long ball tactics and moving the ball so slowly is killing us.

I think Stevenson would struggle in the wing back role, don’t think Middleton is good enough defensively. Newell has played there before but unsure how well....

I think Mackie would do really well as a wing back, just a shame he’s been punted on loan....

5/3/2 is screaming out as the formation we should be playing. Stubbs was the first to give it a bash so by all means give him till the end of the season.

Spudster
24-09-2019, 07:04 AM
The thing I’m noting from this thread is that none of the options look that interesting..

Unless we were getting a Strachan or a Moyes - they all look like real gambles .
Strachan and Moyes seem like massive gambles too imo

Sweet Left Peg
24-09-2019, 07:21 AM
Are there any examples of pundits who have gone on to being good managers?

jacomo
24-09-2019, 07:29 AM
Are there any examples of pundits who have gone on to being good managers?

Frank Lampard is doing ok.

BILLYHIBS
24-09-2019, 07:30 AM
Yogi

Pretty Boy
24-09-2019, 07:37 AM
Roberto Di Matteo.

He was reportedly a serious candidate for the Killie job. Unemployed and experienced. On the flip side his managerial record doesn't seem all that great, Champions League win an obvious exception, and he seems a guy who is sacked repeatedly. Maybe the name is more than the manager.

My heart, far more than my head, still says Stubbs but that's a gamble and risks tainting a legacy. On the other hand it would put the constant bickering about him to bed one way or another.

Gaffer1875
24-09-2019, 07:47 AM
Ian Holloway
Ronny Delia

Would prefer to stay clear of Strachan, McLeish and Stubbs for now.

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Ronny Deila isn't a bad shout actually.

I think this lot would also be interested if the job opens;

Graeme Jones
Ian Holloway
Chris Powell
Scot Gemmill
Phil Neville
Jimmy Hasselbaink
Sol Campbell
Nigel Pearson
David Unsworth
Kevin Nolan
Gary Rowett

GreenCastle
24-09-2019, 08:06 AM
Cringe when I hear the usual names..

Not Strachan, Yogi, Brian Rice, McLeish.

David Unsworth ?

Though I agree about Lennon what he brought - a nobody will have to be very good very quickly to turn this around.

We need someone who want take any nonsense and rejuvenate the support and develop the link between players and fans again.

The 90+2
24-09-2019, 08:21 AM
Yogi

Hi John.

Squealing pig
24-09-2019, 08:24 AM
Stubbs to steady this sinking ship . Gtf hecky

Hiber-nation
24-09-2019, 08:31 AM
Just get Stubbsy back, absolute no-brainer.

Strachan - I could imagine this place after his first obtuse interview, meltdown.

Tommy Wright?! Back to 6,000 ST holders if we were watching his brand of hoofball.

McLeish is the most ridiculous by far. Mind you Holloway runs him close.

Gloucester Hibs
24-09-2019, 08:33 AM
Ronny Deila isn't a bad shout actually.

I think this lot would also be interested if the job opens;

Graeme Jones
Ian Holloway
Chris Powell
Scot Gemmill
Phil Neville
Jimmy Hasselbaink
Sol Campbell
Nigel Pearson
David Unsworth
Kevin Nolan
Gary Rowett

Some interesting names there but all bar one or two with no experience of the Scottish game. Think the next manager must tick this box with the current predicament we're in.

Leith_Hibee
24-09-2019, 08:39 AM
What about taking an ambitious approach and try to lure Michael O'Neill back into club management?
He's taken NI as far as he can.

jacomo
24-09-2019, 08:41 AM
What about taking an ambitious approach and try to lure Michael O'Neill back into club management?

I would love that, but he would be taking such a big pay cut that I can’t see it happening.

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 08:44 AM
Some interesting names there but all bar one or two with no experience of the Scottish game. Think the next manager must tick this box with the current predicament we're in.

I'm not sure it actually matters to be honest. Think its mor important to get someone in who is wanting to play open attacking football and not the turgid hit and hope sh*te we are currently suffering. Good managers should be able to manage anywhere. Only pre requisite I'd have is that they speak English.

Anthony Soprano
24-09-2019, 08:48 AM

Would have Hallberg over Vela

makaveli1875
24-09-2019, 08:51 AM
Would have Hallberg over Vela

Not much in it, they were both equally gash on Sunday.

drumatic44
24-09-2019, 08:52 AM
that would do for me, Miller to take over after he retires, but, would he come though !!

Gaffer1875
24-09-2019, 08:53 AM
I would love that, but he would be taking such a big pay cut that I can’t see it happening.

I’m sure he’s paid £600k per year just now. Apparently, Lennon was our highest paid manager and I would estimate this would be around £250-300k per year? Can’t see MON coming to us unless he is sacked and looking for work.

cabbageandribs1875
24-09-2019, 08:54 AM

well he has 5 years left on his contract to take them further, and with a salary upwards of 500k/year i rather doubt he would p@ss that away, and neither would i

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 08:54 AM

If only we had an owner who was absolutely minted! 😉

bingo70
24-09-2019, 08:58 AM
Sol Campbell is an interesting one.

Always thought he seems like an arse but looking past that a second, he made a big deal about all the extra work he’s had to do as a black manager trying to get a job in England, eventually got one and did a terrific job. Left the job on good terms with the owners but again appears to be struggling to get a job again. Think he did quite a lot of coaching work with the FA as well.

Subconscious bias, is he just an ******** or are boards a bit intimidated in getting someone as opinionated as him?

I think you need a manager that’ll push and challenge the board for more, I think Campbell would do that but there also has to be a balance.

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 09:01 AM
Sol Campbell is an interesting one.

Always thought he seems like an arse but looking past that a second, he made a big deal about all the extra work he’s had to do as a black manager trying to get a job in England, eventually got one and did a terrific job. Left the job on good terms with the owners but again appears to be struggling to get a job again. Think he did quite a lot of coaching work with the FA as well.

Subconscious bias, is he just an ******** or are boards a bit intimidated in getting someone as opinionated as him?

I think you need a manager that’ll push and challenge the board for more, I think Campbell would do that but there also has to be a balance.

Comes across as a bit strange but he certainly did a good job recently. I'm with you on the part about challenging the board. That's why I'd even consider Roy Keane next but I feel LD & Craig are more likely to go with a 'nice' guy who will tow the party line.

Montford
24-09-2019, 09:26 AM
Having watched Dan Petrescu school Lennon (twice) with his diagonal attacks I’d reckon this would be a brilliant replacement. If we get in quick he could use it as a foothold to the EPL. Otherwise he will be off to Italy in a year or 2. Could be just the man to have us at the top of the league. Not intimidated in the slightest by the old firm having ranked them twice on a budget not much more than Hibs or Aberdeens

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 09:59 AM
Having watched Dan Petrescu school Lennon (twice) with his diagonal attacks I’d reckon this would be a brilliant replacement. If we get in quick he could use it as a foothold to the EPL. Otherwise he will be off to Italy in a year or 2. Could be just the man to have us at the top of the league. Not intimidated in the slightest by the old firm having ranked them twice on a budget not much more than Hibs or Aberdeens

Great shout, totally out the box thinking and agree that it could be a stepping stone to EPL for him.

Not sure about their budget being comparable to ours though, I'd imagine a team that's regularly in Champs league/Europa league will have a lot more funds to play with than us.🤔

MacGruber
24-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Would love Michael O'Neill but out of price range. We blew that when he should have got the job years ago.
Would take Strachan but he didn't seem to want it last time.
Given who is available I would give it to Stubbs.

The arguments are he left us in the lurch, he signed great players, he couldn't get promotion, he won the Scottish Cup, he won big games v The Rangers, Hearts, he lost too many against Dumbarton etc.

Regardless of what the view on Stubbs is I know this much - I loved Hibs under him and couldn't wait for the next match. Win lose or draw the football was exciting. The club and the fans had a real connect.
A scenario of spontaneous applause whilst losing to The Rangers in the play-offs sums up the connection as much as the cup win. If nothing else it is worth seeing if he can bring the feel good back again

04Sauzee
24-09-2019, 11:35 AM

Looking at Wiki, it says he is his 15th management roll in 16 years?

zitelli62
24-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Sol Campbell for me took over a struggling team had them playing good football and got them up the league only left because of financial issues would also hope he would have good contacts.

Anthony Soprano
24-09-2019, 11:39 AM
Not much in it, they were both equally gash on Sunday.

Thought Hallberg looked the better player minus his miss, Josh Vela has shown hee haw so far

sean04
24-09-2019, 11:40 AM
I think it’s maybe time to think outside the box with a foreign manager. Top English sides go foreign. Short term Stubbs would give the fans a lift but not sure if he’s the answer long term

H18S NX
24-09-2019, 11:43 AM
Give Stubbs till the end of the season,as long as he brings the rest of the team.

Hibiza
24-09-2019, 11:47 AM
Paddy power will go 1000/1 on Bono .

Biggie
24-09-2019, 11:59 AM

Paddy Power doesn't half work in Mysterious ways

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 12:19 PM
I think it’s maybe time to think outside the box with a foreign manager. Top English sides go foreign. Short term Stubbs would give the fans a lift but not sure if he’s the answer long term

Gus Poyet
Antoine Kombouare
Roberto Di Matteo
Aitor Karanka
Fabio Grosso
Sami Hyypia

All currently out of work. We could be really audacious and see if Gattuso wants to bring his family home to Scotland.

The 90+2
24-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Did Kombouare play for Motherwell?

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 12:27 PM
Did Kombouare play for Motherwell?

Aberdeen mate. Round about 94/95 I'd guess.

Was surprised to read he was PSG boss for a while too.

The 90+2
24-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Aberdeen mate. Round about 94/95 I'd guess.

Was surprised to read he was PSG boss for a while too.

Thanks! Name rang a bell big time.

Remember him as their manager just as they got bought over I think.

sean04
24-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Gus Poyet
Antoine Kombouare
Roberto Di Matteo
Aitor Karanka
Fabio Grosso
Sami Hyypia

All currently out of work. We could be really audacious and see if Gattuso wants to bring his family home to Scotland.

Loved Hyypia at Liverpool. Di Matteo would be exciting,Gus poyet the same. All with big club mentality, all played in attacking sides. All won major honours. Are Hibs a big enough pull for them? Certainly a stepping stone for them if they were to be a success

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 01:15 PM
Loved Hyypia at Liverpool. Di Matteo would be exciting,Gus poyet the same. All with big club mentality, all played in attacking sides. All won major honours. Are Hibs a big enough pull for them? Certainly a stepping stone for them if they were to be a success

Aye it probably is a far fetch list I've knocked up but they are all out of work and if you dont ask you dont get.

The 90+2
24-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Why did Grosso get punted?

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 01:20 PM
Why did Grosso get punted?

Not sure mate, was he Liam Hendersons gaffer?

The 90+2
24-09-2019, 01:25 PM
Not sure mate, was he Liam Hendersons gaffer?

Yeah I thought so, they haven’t started the season that badly either.

EI255
24-09-2019, 02:17 PM
Robinson for me.

Hibernia&Alba
24-09-2019, 02:43 PM

:greengrin

Don't think I will take those very generous odds.

Torto7
24-09-2019, 03:00 PM
Sol Campbell for me took over a struggling team had them playing good football and got them up the league only left because of financial issues would also hope he would have good contacts.

This is a great shout. Reading up on him he really did work wonders at Macclesfield and was well liked from what I can gather. He's got the status and experience as a player and from his interviews the hunger to be a good manager too.

Lampard and Gerard got plumb first roles big Sol had to go to the bottom and prove himself thats a big tick in the box for me. If he was an arrogant cock as his public image seems to be then players at that level wouldn't play for him.

There's plenty of good names I've seen that would excite me. Stubbs, Petrescu, Strachan, Campbell and Unsworth. Over to you Hibs.

JimBHibees
24-09-2019, 03:20 PM
This is a great shout. Reading up on him he really did work wonders at Macclesfield and was well liked from what I can gather. He's got the status and experience as a player and from his interviews the hunger to be a good manager too.

Lampard and Gerard got plumb first roles big Sol had to go to the bottom and prove himself thats a big tick in the box for me. If he was an arrogant cock as his public image seems to be then players at that level wouldn't play for him.

There's plenty of good names I've seen that would excite me. Stubbs, Petrescu, Strachan, Campbell and Unsworth. Over to you Hibs.

Is Sol still at Macclesfield?

worcesterhibby
24-09-2019, 03:27 PM

I know he took over a struggling team, but his win ratio after 30 matches was 26% Heckingbottom's Hibs win rate is 44% That's not enough to prove anything, but I really feel Hibs have to go for someone with a strong record.

bingo70
24-09-2019, 03:29 PM
I know he took over a struggling team, but his win ratio after 30 matches was 26% Heckingbottom's Hibs win rate is 44% That's not enough to prove anything, but I really feel Hibs have to go for someone with a strong record.

Win % mean absolutely nothing, as you’ve just proven.

worcesterhibby
24-09-2019, 03:45 PM
Win % mean absolutely nothing, as you’ve just proven.

Maybe, but it still feels like a gamble to me...not sure Hibs can afford a gamble.

Hibs90
24-09-2019, 03:50 PM
Karanka is the man.

Well respected. His teams play great football.

lyonhibs
24-09-2019, 04:25 PM
Karanka is the man.

Well respected. His teams play great football.

As far as footballing style being great goes, my Middlesbrough supporting friend disagrees. Strongly.

bingo70
24-09-2019, 04:26 PM
As far as footballing style being great goes, my Middlesbrough supporting friend disagrees. Strongly.

Yeah, great name but meant to be really dull defensive football.

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 05:44 PM
Larsson now unlikely to get the Southend job, wonder if hed be an option?

bingo70
24-09-2019, 05:44 PM
Larsson now unlikely to get the Southend job, wonder if hed be an option?

Was he not quite ***** at managing in Sweden?

Hibs90
24-09-2019, 05:51 PM
It's possible I am getting him mixed up with someone else :greengrin

hibeerealist
24-09-2019, 06:23 PM
Just my opinion but Stubbs came in when we were at an all time low, only had around 9 signed players, took the club by the scruff of the neck and very quickly made us a very good team that played entertaining football. Signed good players and gave us the best footballing day of our lives. Deserves another chance with us, after all, we all know he left for reasons out with football. Those reasons no longer exist.

Yes he did, yes he did, yes he did!! Bring him home and quickly

hibeerealist
24-09-2019, 06:25 PM

At £700k per annum he ain’t coming to us anytime soon

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 06:40 PM
Was he not quite ***** at managing in Sweden?

No idea Bingo, just saw him linked in press recently with Southend and thought I'd chuck his name in.

jeffers
24-09-2019, 06:40 PM
Stubbs for me 'til the end of the season and re-assess the situation then.

I say that as someone who wanted him gone after the Falkirk play-off defeat. I always felt his team/signings were better suited to the top flight than the slog to get out of the Championship. He worked well with the recruitment department, with the majority of our better players being signed while he was in charge.

coldingham hibs
24-09-2019, 06:41 PM
Have we ever had an English Manager who had no experience of Scottish Football but did well?.

Just wondering why anyone would suggest English Managers.

bingo70
24-09-2019, 06:42 PM
Stubbs for me 'til the end of the season and re-assess the situation then.

I say that as someone who wanted him gone after the Falkirk play-off defeat. I always felt his team/signings were better suited to the top flight than the slog to get out of the Championship. He worked well with the recruitment department, with the majority of our better players being signed while he was in charge.

It’s the lack of John Doolan and Taff that worry me about Stubbs.

I don’t think he’s the right person for the job but I can see the attraction short term.

Paloschi
24-09-2019, 06:43 PM
Gary Rowett for me.

Nicho87
24-09-2019, 06:50 PM
Any manager with no Scottish background for where we sadly sit at the moment is a definate no. We don’t need another bunch of no marks being signed in January. We need a manager who when he signs a player knows he will improve us. Newell, Jackson id expect to leave in jan as it stands

CMurdoch
24-09-2019, 06:50 PM
Gary Rowett for me.

that's a good call

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 07:03 PM
Have we ever had an English Manager who had no experience of Scottish Football but did well?.

Cos all the current scottish ones are sh*te!

bingo70
24-09-2019, 07:05 PM
that's a good call

I’d worry he’d underestimate our league the same way Heckingbottom has.

CorrieHibs
24-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Scott Gemmill with Kevin Thomson as assistant.

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 07:14 PM

I'm not a believer that clubs should just chuck random people together as a management team. Manager/head coach should always pick his own staff

CorrieHibs
24-09-2019, 07:25 PM
I'm not a believer that clubs should just chuck random people together as a management team. Manager/head coach should always pick his own staff

Don’t think folk would want Gemmills current assistant lol

bingo70
24-09-2019, 07:30 PM

My first choice is Moyes, I think we’d need to push the boat out but it’s achievable, the cherry on top for me though would be if he was to get Darren Fletcher as his assistant.

Would be ambitious, sensible, forward thinking and would be good succession planning.

I know it wouldn’t be cheap but I’d be very surprised if money was at the forefront of either of their minds. Moyes needs to salvage his managerial career, Fletcher needs to build his (assuming that’s the route he wants to go down.)

I’ve no idea how well they’d work together so I’m obviously taking a stab in the dark on that front but think they’ll have been together at Man United?

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 07:45 PM
Don’t think folk would want Gemmills current assistant lol

Who is it??

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 07:46 PM
My first choice is Moyes, I think we’d need to push the boat out but it’s achievable, the cherry on top for me though would be if he was to get Darren Fletcher as his assistant.

Would be ambitious, sensible, forward thinking and would be good succession planning.

I know it wouldn’t be cheap but I’d be very surprised if money was at the forefront of either of their minds. Moyes needs to salvage his managerial career, Fletcher needs to build his (assuming that’s the route he wants to go down.)

I’ve no idea how well they’d work together so I’m obviously taking a stab in the dark on that front but think they’ll have been together at Man United?

I like that idea 👌🏻

CorrieHibs
24-09-2019, 07:57 PM
Who is it??

Peter Houston

ancient hibee
24-09-2019, 07:59 PM

Walter Galbraith.Signed some of our best ever players.

Jones28
24-09-2019, 08:03 PM

So does mine.

FitbaFolkKen
24-09-2019, 08:05 PM
Hi John.

Hi Pal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
24-09-2019, 08:21 PM
Walter Galbraith.Signed some of our best ever players.

Spent a lot of his early years down south but was actually born in Glasgow

The flamboyant Willie McCartney also had an eye for a player but I am sure he was Scottish as well

MikeyS
24-09-2019, 09:18 PM
Peter Houston

😂😂

***** that idea then, Thomson will be fine!

Hibeesmad
25-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Phil Parkinson, Steve Cotterill, Paul Clement, Nigel Adkins, Steve McClaren, Tony Pulis.

we are hibs
25-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Nathan Jones having a nightmare at stoke but done an outstanding job at Luton including 2 promotions and creating a freescoring attacking side.

ETA: maybe not. Having read this there seems like numerous similarities to heckingbottom.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11701/11817638/stoke-city-still-struggling-under-nathan-jones-where-has-it-all-gone-wrong

25-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Phil Parkinson, Steve Cotterill, Paul Clement, Nigel Adkins, Steve McClaren, Tony Pulis.

Jesus

flash
25-09-2019, 11:25 AM

Jeez anymore of this will put me in the PH must stay camp.

Hiber-nation
25-09-2019, 11:27 AM

You beat me to it. Some astonishing suggestions on this thread.

bigwheel
25-09-2019, 11:31 AM

Hahaha. So true. [emoji23]

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 11:36 AM

None of them would a ***** a job as Hecky has.

MacGruber

Yeah, I like the idea of this. I wanted Gemmill when Stubbs left. Liked a piece on him talking about him being in Spain and sneaking into training sessions.

Or Stubbs, Strachan and Mikey O'Neill if Ron wants to splash the millions 😅

Silky

None of them fit the .net criteria of knowing the Scottish game! :dunno:

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 11:45 AM
What about the Kidderminster Harriers manager fae the other thread? He seemed to get a lot out of lower league dross.

Begbie79
25-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Some absolutely vile suggestions going on here including people that have already been punted from the club and guys that have failed in the past.

Why would anyone want Collins, Stubbs, Hughes back at the club is beyond me, people calling for Hughes AND Collins is completely baffling.

Barman Stanton
25-09-2019, 11:59 AM
Jesus

If he was real then Jesus would have been ideal!

Barman Stanton
25-09-2019, 12:00 PM
Some absolutely vile suggestions going on here including people that have already been punted from the club and guys that have failed in the past.

Why would anyone want Collins, Stubbs, Hughes back at the club is beyond me, people calling for Hughes AND Collins is completely baffling.

Why any Hibs fan wouldnt want Stubbs back is baffling to me. Each to their own though.

Begbie79
25-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Why any Hibs fan wouldnt want Stubbs back is baffling to me. Each to their own though.

Winning the cup was huge for Stubbs, an amazing moment in all our lives.

But lets not beat about the bush, apart from sign John McGinn those are the only 2 things he done. The guy couldnt get us out the championship, absolutely bombed at Rotherham and then St Mirren. But aye, lets get him back in.

Also folk suggesting Scott Gemmill is a very strange one.

jeffers
25-09-2019, 12:23 PM

But lets not beat about the bush, apart from sign John McGinn those are the only 2 things he done. The guy couldnt get us out the championship, absolutely bombed at Rotherham and then St Mirren. But aye, lets get him back in.

You seriously think all Stubbs did was win the cup and sign SJM ??? He didn't sign any other great players ? Or get us to the League Cup final ? Or finish above the Huns in his first league season having had to sign half a squad ??

Don't get me wrong he was far from perfect but to sum up his time at Hibs with the two points you made is ridiculous.

We could do a lot worse than appoint Stubbs to the end of the season.

we are hibs
25-09-2019, 12:24 PM

Yes those are the only 2 things he done, Begbie.

Barman Stanton
25-09-2019, 12:24 PM

Really? He also signed Scott Allan, Dylan Mcgeouch, David Gray, Darren McGregor, Anthony Stokes among others. Got us to 2 Cup finals in one season whilst a lower league club. Regularly hammered Rangers. Played nice attacking football. Made many of us fall in love with the club again.

But aye all he did is win a cup and sign mcGinn. I think I need a break from the stupidity of this forum!

HFC93
25-09-2019, 12:26 PM

He also signed David Gray, Dylan McGeouch, Darren McGregor, Marvin Bartley, Scott Allan, etc. He didn’t just sign John McGinn. Absolute drivel.

Hibeesmad
25-09-2019, 12:27 PM
With the budget looking spent it may suggest that no money will be available in January unless we move on a couple of players. Which would mean any new manager would have to work with the players we have until at least the end of the season.

Smartie
25-09-2019, 12:27 PM

Are you Franco's crazier brother?

Begbie79
25-09-2019, 12:30 PM
You seriously think all Stubbs did was win the cup and sign SJM ??? He didn't sign any other great players ? Or get us to the League Cup final ? Or finish above the Huns in his first league season having had to sign half a squad ??

Don't get me wrong he was far from perfect but to sum up his time at Hibs with the two points you made is ridiculous.

We could do a lot worse than appoint Stubbs to the end of the season.

Again, the guy couldn't get us out the championship. Massive step backwards bringing him in in any capacity, for any period of time.

If we are going to go down the ex manager route why not go the full distance and bring Yogi and Collins in with him. Maybe Bobby Williamson as well for good measure. All guys that have been in the job before and failed.

Cannot for the life of me fathom out the absolute desperation to constantly bring in ex players and managers.

WhileTheChief..
25-09-2019, 12:31 PM

His record since leaving us is awful, I'd imagine that's got something to do with it.

Plus he walked out on us and only wants back 'cause he can't get another club.

Hibeesmad
25-09-2019, 12:31 PM
His record since leaving us is awful, I'd imagine that's got something to do with it.

:agree:

Begbie79
25-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Are you Franco's crazier brother?

Aye mate so watch it ;):na na:

jeffers
25-09-2019, 12:36 PM
Again, the guy couldn't get us out the championship. Massive step backwards bringing him in in any capacity, for any period of time.

If we are going to go down the ex manager route why not go the full distance and bring Yogi and Collins in with him. Maybe Bobby Williamson as well for good measure. All guys that have been in the job before and failed.

Cannot for the life of me fathom out the absolute desperation to constantly bring in ex players and managers.

You are correct he couldn't get us out of the Championship, but that's not what he'd be getting brought in to do. He'd be playing against teams in the Premeirship, something he did pretty well at.

Arguably the best players we've brought in with our current recruitment setup were when Stubbs was working with them, he could spot a player. I think he's worth a try 'til the end of the season.

Smartie
25-09-2019, 12:36 PM
Aye mate so watch it ;):na na:

I mean no trouble, please, please, leave me alone.

You make some very valid points in your follow up post about our obsession with bringing people back.

I just think you're being a wee bit harsh on Stubbs who, if nothing else, brought loads of good players to the club. If we could find someone to bring anything like that many decent signings to us then we'd be laughing.

Begbie79
25-09-2019, 12:37 PM
He also signed David Gray, Dylan McGeouch, Darren McGregor, Marvin Bartley, Scott Allan, etc. He didn’t just sign John McGinn. Absolute drivel.

They signed whilst he was in charge, i would be very surprised if those players were signed on the say-so of Alan Stubbs.

But lets address the guys real decision making ability, some very very questionable starting line ups and substitutions during his spell but the best one surely has to be LEAVING Hibs after a Scottish Cup win for Rotherham. Shows you how far down the list Hibs are in Alan Stubbs' list of priorities right there.

Begbie79
25-09-2019, 12:39 PM
I mean no trouble, please, please, leave me alone.

You make some very valid points in your follow up post about our obsession with bringing people back.

I just think you're being a wee bit harsh on Stubbs who, if nothing else, brought loads of good players to the club. If we could find someone to bring anything like that many decent signings to us then we'd be laughing.

Dont get me wrong mate, for obvious reasons the guys a legend and always will be for the cup win. But i just cant understand him leaving for Rotherham. I also think he's been found out not only there but at St Mirren.

Hibeesmad
25-09-2019, 12:41 PM
Stubbs won't be back anyway imo

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 12:43 PM
They signed whilst he was in charge, i would be very surprised if those players were signed on the say-so of Alan Stubbs.

But lets address the guys real decision making ability, some very very questionable starting line ups and substitutions during his spell but the best one surely has to be LEAVING Hibs after a Scottish Cup win for Rotherham. Shows you how far down the list Hibs are in Alan Stubbs' list of priorities right there.

He already admitted he made a mistake leaving us.

Stubbs was amazing for Hibs. Amazing.

Only the Scottish cup and John McGinn 😂😂😂😂

Begbie79
25-09-2019, 12:44 PM
You are correct he couldn't get us out of the Championship, but that's not what he'd be getting brought in to do. He'd be playing against teams in the Premeirship, something he did pretty well at.

Arguably the best players we've brought in with our current recruitment setup were when Stubbs was working with them, he could spot a player. I think he's worth a try 'til the end of the season.

I agree with part of that to be honest.

I think what we should be doing is giving Heckingbottom at least another 5/6 games to turn it around. If he cant then bringing in someone until the end of the season, cut our losses and get someone in to keep us up or maybe even push for top 6.

The rest of the season should then be spent working on bringing in the right person to take us forward, this is absolutely impossible to do in the space of 2/3 weeks in my opinion.

Personally, im a big fan og what Huddersfield achieved with David Wagner. They employed people to employ him. To source and study other leagues and the potential these guys have. I fully understand we have nowhere near Huddersfields resources but im sure something could be put together.

Barman Stanton
25-09-2019, 12:45 PM
People tend to forget we were up against Rangers and Hearts for promotion as well. It was not exactly a normal situation. He also inherited about 6 first team players and re-built the club. Did amazing in his 2 years at the club.

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 12:47 PM
People tend to forget we were up against Rangers and Hearts for promotion as well. It was not exactly a normal situation. He also inherited about 6 first team players and re-built the club. Did amazing in his 2 years at the club.

This 100%. Any argument against is absolutely baffling.

Begbie79
25-09-2019, 12:48 PM
He already admitted he made a mistake leaving us.

Stubbs was amazing for Hibs. Amazing.

Only the Scottish cup and John McGinn 😂😂😂😂

Steady, Pat Stanton was "amazing" for Hibs, The Famous 5 were "amazing" for Hibs. Granted, the cup win was unreal but was Alan Stubbs "amazing" for Hibs?? no he wasnt.

Barman Stanton
25-09-2019, 12:48 PM

Yeah that’s fair and a valid reason. Sometimes a manager and a club just work though and to me it seemed a perfect fit.

If the rumours of why he walked out at true then I can understand why he did. I don’t think he ever really wanted to.

WhileTheChief..
25-09-2019, 12:49 PM
Hang on though.

Back then this forum was full of people saying they were the worst ever Hearts and Rangers teams in history. Remember?

Stubbs was a good fit at the time but we’ve all moved on.

jeffers
25-09-2019, 12:50 PM

You don't think he had final say ? Lets say you are correct and he had no say, what's happened then with the signings this summer ? Have the recruitment team had a change of approach and thought lets sign a load of pish from the lower leagues of England ?

While I don't know this as fact I suspect part of the reason he left after the Cup Final was non football related, the thing most of us know about but cannot mention on here.

Barman Stanton
25-09-2019, 12:50 PM
This 100%. Any argument against is absolutely baffling.

The dislike (or lack of respect) for Stubbs is something I can never get my head around. Again, I only ever see it on here. Anyone I know seems to love the guy.

You would have thought that the man who eventually won us the cup would be seen as a legend forever. Perhaps at other clubs he would be.

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 12:51 PM
Steady, Pat Stanton was "amazing" for Hibs, The Famous 5 were "amazing" for Hibs. Granted, the cup win was unreal but was Alan Stubbs "amazing" for Hibs?? no he wasnt.

See the post above. He took a side that had been relegated and built a fantastic squad full of quality players got us to two cup finals, regular humpings of hearts and rangers and in general made it feel great again to go and watch the Hibs.

He also of course guided the club to the greatest Cup success in our entire history as a team in the Championship too.

Yes, he did amazing well in comparison to what is going on now and what went on for about 7 years before he came in.

Hibeesmad
25-09-2019, 12:51 PM
Stubbsy might fancy the Ayr gig

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 12:52 PM
The dislike (or lack of respect) for Stubbs is something I can never get my head around. Again, I only ever see it on here. Anyone I know seems to love the guy.

You would have thought that the man who eventually won us the cup would be seen as a legend forever. Perhaps at other clubs he would be.

Like I said mate, it’s baffling. I ****ing love the man.

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Hang on though.

Back then this forum was full of people saying they were the worst ever Hearts and Rangers teams in history. Remember?

Wasn’t the worst Hearts team in history the one we played on Sunday or the one that actually got relegated?

Hearts steamrolled the league that season and rangers improved drastically under Warberton the season after. Again stuff like that is used to belittle Stubbs’ achievements.

bigwheel
25-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Stubbs without Doolan and Taff, feels like a poor option...those who want Stubbs back without them - aren’t you worried it was their coaching and tactical work that was the real foundation of what Stubbs and the team did ??

Barman Stanton
25-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Hang on though.

Lets be honest mate, this forum is full of idiots :faf:

I still think he is a good fit, but clearly not everyone shares those sentiments.

worcesterhibby
25-09-2019, 12:55 PM

Have you seen what it is we've moved on to ? Stubbs till the end of the season would bring back some feel good factor, would see us playing more attacking football and would give the club time to find a long term replacement if we don't see a vast improvement by the end of the season.

He might not be the answer, it might not work out, but unless we have millions to spend on David Moyes or similar, it seems like a pretty decent shout.

jeffers
25-09-2019, 12:57 PM
I agree with part of that to be honest.

I think what we should be doing is giving Heckingbottom at least another 5/6 games to turn it around. If he cant then bringing in someone until the end of the season, cut our losses and get someone in to keep us up or maybe even push for top 6.

The rest of the season should then be spent working on bringing in the right person to take us forward, this is absolutely impossible to do in the space of 2/3 weeks in my opinion.

Personally, im a big fan og what Huddersfield achieved with David Wagner. They employed people to employ him. To source and study other leagues and the potential these guys have. I fully understand we have nowhere near Huddersfields resources but im sure something could be put together.

I don't think Heckingbottom can turn it around (and the same issue will exist for whoever takes his place) we don't have the balanced squad to be better than bottom 6 IMO.

That's why I say appoint Stubbs 'til the end of the season. He knows the club some of the players, would be given some leeway with most of the fans while he gets settled back in. It's a good opportunity for him to get back into management after Rotherham and St Mirren. If it's not working we thank him at the end of the season and move on.

Barman Stanton
25-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Stubbs without Doolan and staff, feels like a poor option...those who want Stubbs back without them - aren’t you worried it was their coaching and tactical work that was the real foundation of what Stubbs and the team did ??

Yeah, I would prefer them all back. Doolan would jump at it Im sure.

we are hibs
25-09-2019, 12:59 PM
Alan Stubbs should have a statue for winning the cup alone. Thats before we even go into the players he brought to the club, reignited the fans passion, got us playing football again after the previous 3 managers served up utter dross and laid a platform that Lennon used to his advantage.

jacomo
25-09-2019, 01:01 PM
Stubbs without Doolan and Taff, feels like a poor option...those who want Stubbs back without them - aren’t you worried it was their coaching and tactical work that was the real foundation of what Stubbs and the team did ??

This is a valid concern. I doubt any of us know the answer, but Stubbs seems to have struggled without those two at his side.

we are hibs
25-09-2019, 01:02 PM

Has anyone said they want stubbs back without those 2?

Holden the last i heard was managing way down the lower leagues in england and doolan was at accrington. I reckon both would go for it if asked.

Hibeesmad
25-09-2019, 01:04 PM
This is a valid concern. I doubt any of us know the answer, but Stubbs seems to have struggled without those two at his side.

Darren Jackson will help sort the mess out

worcesterhibby
25-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Yup there may well be some truth in that, so I would expect Hibs to try to bring all three of them in. At the end of the day it will be down to money.

Begbie79
25-09-2019, 01:05 PM
I don't think Heckingbottom can turn it around (and the same issue will exist for whoever takes his place) we don't have the balanced squad to be better than bottom 6 IMO.

That's why I say appoint Stubbs 'til the end of the season. He knows the club some of the players, would be given some leeway with most of the fans while he gets settled back in. It's a good opportunity for him to get back into management after Rotherham and St Mirren. If it's not working we thank him at the end of the season and move on.

I dont think he can either. But in my opinion he should be given the chance to try, the club have invested big time in him and (tin hat firmly on) i think theres a decent coach in there. His work at Barnsley was outstanding.

WhileTheChief..
25-09-2019, 01:06 PM
Have you seen what it is we've moved on to ? Stubbs till the end of the season would bring back some feel good factor, would see us playing more attacking football and would give the club time to find a long term replacement if we don't see a vast improvement by the end of the season.

He might not be the answer, it might not work out, but unless we have millions to spend on David Moyes or similar, it seems like a pretty decent shout.

You might be right.

At the same time though I think there would be a huge section of the support thinking “eh, what the hell”.

I’m not against it btw but I wouldn’t rush to appoint him.

jeffers
25-09-2019, 01:17 PM
I dont think he can either. But in my opinion he should be given the chance to try, the club have invested big time in him and (tin hat firmly on) i think theres a decent coach in there. His work at Barnsley was outstanding.

Agreed which is why I don't think he's been sacked yet. He sounds like a guy who doesn't know how to fix things, the same chat you hear from all under pressure ones that they need to work harder on the training field, which for me is something they should be doing regardless of on field performances.

You can take elements of his time at Barnsley and say he did well, but I'd struggle to call it outstanding and Leeds very quickly saw through him. He may well be a good coach in the same way Cathro seems to be, but I'm not convinced he's a decent head coach.

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 01:20 PM

His work at Barnsley was “outstanding” yet you belittle what Stubbs done for our club? Aye no bother mate.

Begbie79
25-09-2019, 01:24 PM
His work at Barnsley was “outstanding” yet you belittle what Stubbs done for our club? Aye no bother mate.

Who's belittled the guy? just saying that he's absolutely not the man for the job. Just a difference of opinion. And given the difference in Budgets in the English Championship, that coupled with the fact its easily one of the toughest leagues on the planet he was a bawhair away from the play offs so i would say thats top work. Credit where its due and all that....

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Who's belittled the guy? just saying that he's absolutely not the man for the job. Just a difference of opinion. And given the difference in Budgets in the English Championship, that coupled with the fact its easily one of the toughest leagues on the planet he was a bawhair away from the play offs so i would say thats top work. Credit where its due and all that....

You said “all he did was was win the Scottish Cup and sign McGinn” laughed at any reasons behind him doing amazing at the club and Hecky was outstanding at Barnsley? He took them up, very much credit there he took them up with another guys team though and left them on a losing run.

Begbie79
25-09-2019, 01:35 PM
You said “all he did was was win the Scottish Cup and sign McGinn” laughed at any reasons behind him doing amazing at the club and Hecky was outstanding at Barnsley? He took them up, very much credit there he took them up with another guys team though and left them on a losing run.

In my opinion, those are the only 2 decent things Stubbs done.

Heckingbottom took Barnsley up (something Stubbs failed to do with Hibs in a far poorer league by the way) he then led them to within a few points of the championship play offs. Given the budget of Barnsley compared to the likes of Newcastle who im sure were in the championship at the time i would say thats pretty decent work, no?

Here’s Lucy!
25-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Alan Stubbs and Hibs just went well together.

Paul Heckingbottom and Hibs just don’t.

Get Stubbs back and watch the difference.

:gwa:

silverhibee
25-09-2019, 01:50 PM
Hibs are skint, we will go for a cheap option, someone like Ian Murray.

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 01:50 PM
In my opinion, those are the only 2 decent things Stubbs done.

Heckingbottom took Barnsley up (something Stubbs failed to do with Hibs in a far poorer league by the way) he then led them to within a few points of the championship play offs. Given the budget of Barnsley compared to the likes of Newcastle who im sure were in the championship at the time i would say thats pretty decent work, no?

He left Barnsley a point above the relegation zone?
The previous season he was 22 points away from the Championship play offs?

Convo’ over mate. You fancy Hecky but didn’t rate our Scottish Cup winning manager. No bother each to their own 👍

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 01:52 PM

Spend the £1m on a decent management team then.

No idea how we can be skint either with record season ticket numbers and the sale of Cummings then McGinn. Then more money for McGinn this summer.

bigwheel
25-09-2019, 01:54 PM

Lol. we are all hurting ...so I understand the despondency.....But not a chance of that happening....

jeffers
25-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Spend the £1m on a decent management team then.

No idea how we can be skint either with record season ticket numbers and the sale of Cummings then McGinn. Then more money for McGinn this summer.

Add to that £500K per year we no longer have to pay back to STF. I'm not buying we are skint either, wasn't the chat from STF when he left that our financial situation was excellent (or words to that effect.)

Barman Stanton
25-09-2019, 02:12 PM

Is there any fact in us being skint or just your opinion? Im just struggling to see how we can possibly be skint. We cleared the debt, had a million pumped into the club, record season ticket sales, McGinn money. Im honestly curious where this has come from.

hibeerealist
25-09-2019, 02:13 PM

Spot on 90+2, some seem to forget very easily!!

Begbie79
25-09-2019, 02:15 PM
He left Barnsley a point above the relegation zone?
The previous season he was 22 points away from the Championship play offs?

Convo’ over mate. You fancy Hecky but didn’t rate our Scottish Cup winning manager. No bother each to their own 👍

I suggest you go and have a wee re-check of that :aok:

But aye lets live in the past with a manager that effectively couldnt get us out the scottish championship. I bet you would be one of the ones calling for Stubbs' head after 12 minutes if a couple of things never went his way.

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 02:20 PM

But aye lets live in the past with a manager that effectively couldnt get us out the scottish championship. I bet you would be one of the ones calling for Stubbs' head after 12 minutes if a couple of things never went his way.

Okay -

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/42958735

Leaves one point above the relegation zone

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_EFL_Championship
Final league table

Fulham 80 points.

Barnsley 58 points.

I bet I never once called for Stubbs’ head because the turnaround in the team after relegation and the way we played was outstanding. I couldn’t wait for the following season with or without Scott Allan and that was even before Stubbs (done only his only other “decent thing” (just decent mind) apart from winning the Scottish Cup) signed John McGinn.

Begbie79
25-09-2019, 02:33 PM
Okay -

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/42958735

Leaves one point above the relegation zone

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_EFL_Championship
Final league table

Fulham 80 points.

Barnsley 58 points.

I bet I never once called for Stubbs’ head because the turnaround in the team after relegation and the way we played was outstanding. I couldn’t wait for the following season with or without Scott Allan and that was even before Stubbs (done only his only other “decent thing” (just decent mind) apart from winning the Scottish Cup) signed John McGinn.

I stand corrected, still, a very good achievement, as well as leading them to promotion and winning their first silverware since 1912. worth noting as well your man Stubbs's work done for Rotherham that season although im fully aware he never lasted anywhere near the full season.

Lets see what happens, i would be very surprised if Heckingbottom last until November with Hibs. I just hope they deal with things differently and certainly hope they dont go down the nostalgia road and bring in someone like Stubbs, thats just my opinion mind :aok:

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 02:34 PM
I stand corrected, still, a very good achievement, as well as leading them to promotion and winning their first silverware since 1912. worth noting as well your man Stubbs's work done for Rotherham that season although im fully aware he never lasted anywhere near the full season.

Lets see what happens, i would be very surprised if Heckingbottom last until November with Hibs. I just hope they deal with things differently and certainly hope they dont go down the nostalgia road and bring in someone like Stubbs, thats just my opinion mind :aok:

No bother man 👍

Smartie
25-09-2019, 03:01 PM
I thought Stubbs had to leave cos he was banging the physio. Still won us a cup though.

Ooft.

The Hibs.net equivalent of saying "Voldemort" out loud.

calumhibee1
25-09-2019, 03:19 PM
Ooft.

The Hibs.net equivalent of saying "Voldemort" out loud.

:greengrin

I know winning the Scottish Cup was a massive achievement but he may have outdone himself there. What a guy AS was.

Franck Stanton
25-09-2019, 03:34 PM

Couldn't get us out of the championship ? You do realise that when we did win promotion with Lennon in charge it was only by one point more than the previous season. That was without having Rangers & Hearts in the league. Had Stubbs still managed us for that season we Would have been promoted so let's stop all that nonsense about him failing to get us promoted. Seems like it is a safety blanket for those that , for some God-forsaken reason , don't want him back. Give the gig to him for rest of season, he will bring back the "feel-good" factor, exciting football and, like Lennon at celtic, if he does well keep him longer.

Franck Stanton
25-09-2019, 03:39 PM

You do know the real reason he left don't you? Had nothing to do with football reasons. That distraction is no longer at the club.

Liberal Hibby
25-09-2019, 03:56 PM
All this talk of Heckingbottom, Barnsley and Leeds means there really is only one person who ought to take over - Marco Bielsa.

heretoday
25-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Young, ambitious coach required - superannuated old farts need not apply.

blackpoolhibs
25-09-2019, 06:00 PM
22559The guy on the right please.

BoltonHibee
25-09-2019, 06:05 PM
[emoji23]

jeffers
25-09-2019, 06:05 PM
22559The guy on the right please.

Is he not our manager already ?

jacomo
25-09-2019, 06:12 PM

This chat is so, so poor.

Fair enough, there’s an argument to say never go back.

There’s an argument to say Stubbs wouldn’t be the same without Doolan and Taff.

But this constant denigration of our Scottish cup winning manager is absolutely pathetic.

Alex Trager
30-09-2019, 07:41 AM
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jack-ross-hibernian-could-suit-17001005

Jack ross linked

Leitherhibs
30-09-2019, 08:02 AM
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jack-ross-hibernian-could-suit-17001005

Jack ross linked

Seen various versions of that article in last 24hrs, no direct quotes, no real information, just garbage...

Fully expect Jack Ross to be appointed before xmas.

Smartie
30-09-2019, 08:25 AM
All of the criticisms we have of Heckingbottom the Sunderland fans are making about Ross.

For a start, Sunderland haven't had that bad a start to the season. They've knocked 2 premier league clubs out the league cup and are close to the top of their league in a very long season.

There's no way Jack Ross would do more with the players we have than Heckingbottom has managed, and the football wouldn't be any more exciting.

Alex Trager
30-09-2019, 08:30 AM
All of the criticisms we have of Heckingbottom the Sunderland fans are making about Ross.

For a start, Sunderland haven't had that bad a start to the season. They've knocked 2 premier league clubs out the league cup and are close to the top of their league in a very long season.

There's no way Jack Ross would do more with the players we have than Heckingbottom has managed, and the football wouldn't be any more exciting.

I don’t see how any of the things you’ve listed that they’ve done this season means he wouldn’t improve us?

Smartie
30-09-2019, 08:36 AM
I don’t see how any of the things you’ve listed that they’ve done this season means he wouldn’t improve us?

League Cup - they've beaten some top opposition, we're in a semi-final. Could he have bettered that here? Maybe beat Morton in normal time or get a win at Stirling Albion? The end result is the same, both sides have done well in that competition.

League - they expect to be top by a mile, they're a few points behind where they want to be. We're only 8 points off 3rd as it stands after having been awful for much of the season.

Style of football - they are being criticised for being tentative, negative, defensive and not blowing teams away. We are being criticised for the same. He's also being criticised for not understanding the league or English football.

Getting the best out of players - they are in league 1 and expect to be doing better with players like McGeady and Grigg in their team. Is someone who is struggling to get his team to score goals with that pair in league one going to get more out of Middleton, Allan, Kamberi and Horgan?

FWIW I think Sunderland should be persevering with Ross and we should be persevering with Heckingbottom. My opinion may change as the jury is well and truly out on both managers but I just feel he'd be a sideways step right now.

calumhibee1
30-09-2019, 08:37 AM

I thought the same when reading it :greengrin

I do however think JR is over rated and wouldn’t be desperate to see him here.