PDA

View Full Version : Losing late goals

Monts
23-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Of the 15 (yes, 15) goals we have conceded in the league so far this season, 11 of them have been lost in the last quarter of the match.

Are we just not fit enough? Or is there something else?

SMAXXA
23-09-2019, 11:50 AM
Nerves, fitness and no leadership on the park would be my guess

JimBHibees
23-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Of the 15 (yes, 15) goals we have conceded in the league so far this season, 11 of them have been lost in the last quarter of the match.

Don't look anywhere near fit enough especially in midfield. Run out of steam, the last 2 home games we have been treading water in the last quarter while the other team pile the pressure on.

Feed McGraw
23-09-2019, 12:32 PM
I agree with post about having no leaders in the team at the moment. Hibs need a Graham Shinnie type character to galvanise them. I would also like to see a couple of our promising youngsters get a bit of a run, although I understand that could be difficult for them at present. Could give the fans a boost if it worked out though.

B.H.F.C
23-09-2019, 12:39 PM
Could be fitness. We looked burst after 70 minutes yesterday.

Levels of fitness never known before eh....

Fife-Hibee
23-09-2019, 12:45 PM
Tactics. Waiting far too late in the game to bring fresh legs onto the pitch will ultimately result in losing late goals. We were being overrun in the middle of the park for much of that second half, until Doidge came on in the 85th minute to push us further up the park, taking the pressure off our backline. But the damage had already been done just a minute earlier.

madhatter
23-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Horgan and Mallan being unable to run. Horgan can only last 60mins max. Stevenson had no cover towards the end of the match.

BlackSheep
23-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Poor game management too.

Waits til we are losing before putting a second up top, had Doidge come on at 60 mins and taken the game to hearts then we could have won yesterday.

Hecky instead tries to hold a 1 goal lead. Same as St Johnstone.

Its like he tries to score when we are getting pumped instead of defending and trying for a breakaway goal, yet defends when we should be taking the game to teams when we are on top(as rare as it has been).

Its a negative style of managing and only breeds a lack of confidence in the squad, which is what we are seeing now, an equaliser of losing the first goal and the heads are down and no one sees us turning it around.

We need a fresh perspective.

blackpoolhibs
23-09-2019, 01:13 PM
I thought getting your players in early would give them time to work on things and have the team gelling, obviously i'm way wrong there, this clown has just brought in a bunch of dross to work with the crap we already had.

Bobo
23-09-2019, 01:18 PM

When you sit back and concede possession to your opponent and make little attempt to close them down or press forward, then inevitably you will lose goals.

Tactically we are inept and the formation of the team is all wrong so again we hand the advantage to our opponent.

Also, when you take in to consideration the lack of commitment and desire from the majority of the players and their slow, square and negative play its no surprise!!

Hibbyradge
23-09-2019, 01:20 PM
I remember we used to lose a lot of late goals under Tony Mowbray too.

We were very poor at defending leads, particularly at Easter Road, iirc, and I think we lost 13 points because of late goals one season.

As the games drew to a close, the fans started to get nervous and that transferred to the players and the opposition piled on the pressure.

The difference was that for the other 80 minutes, we played some lovely stuff and we finished 3rd and 4th in Mowbray's 2 seasons. At one stage, Chick Young tipped us to win the league.

Heady times.

Monts
23-09-2019, 08:07 PM
What's mowbray up to these days? :duck:

majorhibs
23-09-2019, 08:16 PM
I thought getting your players in early would give them time to work on things and have the team gelling, obviously i'm way wrong there, this clown has just brought in a bunch of dross to work with the crap we already had.

Thought that tae! But, bad as it is currently, d’ye no think there’s a few players in there? I do, however also think said players utilised & motivated hopelessly inadequately! I reckon that squad wi a decent boss would climb table rapido!

blackpoolhibs
23-09-2019, 09:35 PM
Thought that tae! But, bad as it is currently, d’ye no think there’s a few players in there? I do, however also think said players utilised & motivated hopelessly inadequately! I reckon that squad wi a decent boss would climb table rapido!

Nope, i think we are very very average to poor all over the park except Porto and Allan, the rest i couldnt care less about if i tried. The new guy might be decent time will tell, but i cant even remember his name, that tells you just how interested in this lot i have become.

We are pish, led by a pish manager who yesterday was out thought by a pish manager and his team beaten by a pish team.

Relegation is not out of the question here, we are that bad.

inglisavhibs
24-09-2019, 08:04 AM

Horgan, Allan and Mallan run out of legs around the hour mark in every game. On Sunday we also had the Swede and Naismith not match fit. We needed fresh legs when we were still in front. Every side we play is fitter than us.

scoopyboy
24-09-2019, 08:11 AM

Apart from Newall I'm not convinced they are dross just yet.

From a player they seem to stand about a lot at training so I agree with others that their fitness isn't what it should be.

Heisenberg
24-09-2019, 08:18 AM

From a player they seem to stand about a lot at training so I agree with others that their fitness isn't what it should be.

Of course they stand about a lot, they have to be able to try and take in all that information that PH is giving them. He’s Ian Cathro but from Yorkshire.

blackpoolhibs
24-09-2019, 08:22 AM

Dont see it Scoops, Jackson for me is very average, no better than Hanlon and wont take Porto's place.

James, average the best thing going for him is versatility, Vela crap, Newell the same, The new guy Hallberg might be ok, cant really tell yet. Naismith average, another plodder.

Middleton being a wide man will be someone who has good and bad, but couldn't get a start before Horgan on Sunday who is another who is bang average.

Maxwell looked ok, and Doige cost us good money but is another confined to the bench and looks average too.

Add this lot to an ageing defence, a midfield with no fight or guts, and i come to the conclusion it makes no difference who's in charge, this lot are poor to average and in a relegation battle unless we bring in some real quality in January.

GreenCastle
24-09-2019, 08:32 AM
Dont see it Scoops, Jackson for me is very average, no better than Hanlon and wont take Porto's place.

James, average the best thing going for him is versatility, Vela crap, Newell the same, The new guy Hallberg might be ok, cant really tell yet. Naismith average, another plodder.

Middleton being a wide man will be someone who has good and bad, but couldn't get a start before Horgan on Sunday who is another who is bang average.

Maxwell looked ok, and Doige cost us good money but is another confined to the bench and looks average too.

Add this lot to an ageing defence, a midfield with no fight or guts, and i come to the conclusion it makes no difference who's in charge, this lot are poor to average and in a relegation battle unless we bring in some real quality in January.

James has potential and was just settling in then got a bad tackle = injured.

Jackson - thought he looked ok then form dipped and stupid Motherwell handball. Porto seems better option. I would have had him on for crosses final few mins against Hearts.

Vela - Slivka part 2 but Slivka has done more - playing with Allan, Mallan and Vela won’t work.

Naismith- expected more from him on Sunday. Compare to David Gray and Boyle and the impact they have.

Doidge - I still think he will find form but we need a formation that allows him and Flo in same pitch and he needs games. But his sitters haven’t helped his cause.

Newell - again get some legs around him and may be ok but right now file alongside luxury players of Allan, Mallan and Vela.

Hallberg - hard to tell - still getting match fit but seemed to do ok Sunday’. When he went off we fell apart.

Middleton - when he came on Sunday that’s what I expected we had got - previous games wasn’t impressed. Guess that’s what you get with a youth winder inconsistency.

cabbageandribs1875
24-09-2019, 08:36 AM
Could be fitness. We looked burst after 70 minutes yesterday.

Levels of fitness never known before eh....

at least he is correct on that count

Baader
24-09-2019, 09:05 AM
The players fitness levels aren't where they should be. Another sign of bad management.

Fitness is the minimum requirement in football. You can be a terrible coach not understanding tactics or judging players but surely it isn't all that difficult to just keep a squad fit?

hibeerealist
24-09-2019, 09:10 AM
Tactics. Waiting far too late in the game to bring fresh legs onto the pitch will ultimately result in losing late goals. We were being overrun in the middle of the park for much of that second half, until Doidge came on in the 85th minute to push us further up the park, taking the pressure off our backline. But the damage had already been done just a minute earlier.

Yep, a blind man could see we needed fresh legs at 60/65 mins unfortunately our leader did not!

Monts
24-09-2019, 11:44 AM

If that's true, that they are not working much on fitness, then PH should be sacked for that alone.

What are the players thoughts on the manager?