PDA

View Full Version : John Collins

Gaz
23-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Would anyone take him back with Darren Mcgregor\David Gray as a right hand man??

Might have learned lessons from the last time he was here

The 90+2
23-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Nope. He’s done nothing in management since he left the last time and his recruitment was just as bad.

southsider
23-09-2019, 11:10 AM
At the moment I would take ANYONE to get rid of that imposter.

RossScott1991
23-09-2019, 11:10 AM
Nope, clashes with too many players and his style was too pedestrian over complicating things. Remember him trying to make goalie and rob jones ball play from the back.

We need someone to get us on the front foot quicker , possession based football is only good if you’re top level imo

SMAXXA
23-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Nope I think he’s a bit of a tosser to be honest

The 90+2
23-09-2019, 11:16 AM
Nope, clashes with too many players and his style was too pedestrian over complicating things. Remember him trying to make goalie and rob jones ball play from the back.

We need someone to get us on the front foot quicker , possession based football is only good if you’re top level imo

McLeish?

Peevemor
23-09-2019, 11:16 AM
Absolutely not!

It took us years to get over the mess of a squad he left us with.

Pretty Boy
23-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Every time we have a rough patch John Collins gets mentioned. The team he left us with when he jumped ship would probably struggle to beat the current lot.

Thanks for the cup win and dominant performances at Fir Park and Ibrox but he's not the answer.

wearethehibs

Really, I thought he had us playing some of the best football I've seen a Hibs team play.

Would love him back

Barman Stanton
Nah but I would take Stubbs back in a second.

SMAXXA
23-09-2019, 11:19 AM

Have to say I probably would aswell.

Steven79
23-09-2019, 11:21 AM

He should have been phoned last night with a view to taking the job today on a short term basis.

Danderhall Hibs
23-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Jack Ross is close to getting punted from Sunderland - I reckon he’s our best shout.

Persevere80
23-09-2019, 11:31 AM
Been there, done that....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

04Sauzee
23-09-2019, 11:32 AM
i'd take Joan Collins as manager just now

SMAXXA
23-09-2019, 11:34 AM
Jack Ross is close to getting punted from Sunderland - I reckon he’s our best shout.

Wouldn’t touch him been awful down there. Said on another thread Gary Holt is probably take but got to be better options out there. Go for a foreign manager for a change just to mix things up

Danderhall Hibs
23-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Wouldn’t touch him been awful down there. Said on another thread Gary Holt is probably take but got to be better options out there. Go for a foreign manager for a change just to mix things up

Can’t be written off so soon - he picked up a shambles and nearly got them promoted. Struggling a bit now but I think their fans are a pretty demanding bunch who want a big name.

SMAXXA
23-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Can’t be written off so soon - he picked up a shambles and nearly got them promoted. Struggling a bit now but I think their fans are a pretty demanding bunch who want a big name.

I know what he inherited but a club that size and the resources they will still have over most teams in league one they shouldn’t be sitting in league one still and looking very much like they will have another season like last. Draw too many games

KWJ
23-09-2019, 11:46 AM

It's pretty different down there to up here as many of our players find out. The amount of midweek games for a start.

I'd take Jack Ross in a heartbeat when I think about the other names around. John Collins ffs.

Can't mind if the latter few were his or Mixu's signings but jeez. Best in there is Donaldson and that didn't exactly work out.

Scotland Brian Kerr Motherwell Free
England Clayton Donaldson York City Free
Republic of Ireland Alan O'Brien Newcastle £200,000
Democratic Republic of the Congo Yves Makabu-Makalambay Chelsea £100,000
Cameroon Thierry Gathuessi Sète Free
Portugal Filipe Morais Millwall Free
France Mickaël Antoine-Curier Haugesund Nomial Fee
France Patrick Noubissie Swindon Town Free
Scotland Ian Murray Norwich City Free
Scotland John Rankin Inverness CT £110,000
Scotland Colin Nish Kilmarnock £100,000
Algeria Abderraouf Zarabi Gueugnon Undisclosed fee
Scotland Martin Canning Gretna Free

Speedway
23-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Let me count the ways to say 'no':

1. Brian Kerr
2. Alan O'Brien
3. Patrick Noubissie
4. Mikel Antoine Curier
5. Ma-Calamity
6. Hong Kong Thierry
7. Filipe Morais
8. Clayton Donaldson
9. Ventriloquist Press Conferences
10. Walking out the day after HTC opened
11. Failed at Charleroi
12. Hasn't managed for 10 years.

NOPE.

judas
23-09-2019, 11:56 AM
Absolutely not.

Heck is Collins and Collins is Heck.

Both came to the club, took someone else’s players and got a good short term response from them.

Then the time came for them to bring their own players in

And it went Pete Tong from there.

we are hibs
23-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Absolutely not.

Both came to the club, took someone else’s players and got a good short term response from them.

Tbf to collins at least he had us top of the league and unbeaten in october with his own squad. We also beat celtic at home and rangers at ibrox at the start of that season. This current clown could only dream of doing any of that. Collins was a far far superior manager to heckingbottom.

Peevemor
23-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Tbf to collins at least he had us top of the league and unbeaten in october with his own squad. We also beat celtic at home and rangers at ibrox at the start of that season. This current clown could only dream of doing any of that. Collins was a far far superior manager to heckingbottom.

Duff Jimmy had us top of the league in October too. We know how that finished.

Eaststand
23-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Have to say I probably would aswell.

Add my name to that list too.

Bring Stubbs back, he had us playing great football, he signed lots of cracking players and he fits our club well.
Surely anyone can see Stubbs would def be better than Hecky.

GGTTH

KeithTheHibby
23-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Stubbs will never be back at ER imo.

Here’s Lucy!
23-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Add my name to that list too.

Bring Stubbs back, he had us playing great football, he signed lots of cracking players and he fits our club well.
Surely anyone can see Stubbs would def be better than Hecky.

GGTTH

:aok: Christ, Una Stubbs would be better than Hecky.

jacomo
23-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Would anyone take him back with Darren Mcgregor\David Gray as a right hand man??

Yes I absolutely would. He had us playing some great football and we won the League Cup.

He also gives the kids a chance.

The big question mark is his eye for recruitment. I am not sure what happened over the summer and who is responsible for our disastrous transfer business, but Collins with a good recruitment team alongside him would be a good bet.

jacomo
23-09-2019, 12:41 PM

He made it clear he wanted to come back in January and LD ignored him. So no, little prospect of a return.

The other question is: would Stubbs be as good without Doolan and Taff by his side?

Whereas, I think Tommy Craig was a poor assistant for Collins, someone else (maybe even Stockdale?) would be better.

ScottB
23-09-2019, 12:44 PM
Are other clubs' fanbases as prone to thinking the answer is invariably to bring folk back to the club or is it just us?

What has Collins done since he left us to suggest he's become a better manager? What about Stubbs? If we were looking at guys with their CVs with no Hibs connection, would people be clamouring for them?

Like the eternal 'bring back Deeks!' posts that kept coming even years after he'd kicked a ball in anger, the past should stay in the past.

I'm Spartacus
23-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Noooooo please stop! IMO we pick up a Stevie G or a Frank Lampard type, worked in the Premiership so has training and top coaching experience.

Damien Duff anybody?

Barman Stanton
23-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Are other clubs' fanbases as prone to thinking the answer is invariably to bring folk back to the club or is it just us?

What has Collins done since he left us to suggest he's become a better manager? What about Stubbs? If we were looking at guys with their CVs with no Hibs connection, would people be clamouring for them?

Like the eternal 'bring back Deeks!' posts that kept coming even years after he'd kicked a ball in anger, the past should stay in the past.

You can only go by what you know. And Stubbs completely transformed this club when we were in trouble before. Brought some amazing players to the club. Played some amazing football. Oh aye and won the Scottish Cup. I honestly couldnt care less what he has done since. He was great for Hibs and that was only a few years ago.

Fife-Hibee
23-09-2019, 12:50 PM
Colins had us playing some great football until he lost the dressing room. Great tactician, but his man management skills ultimately let him down. I reckon he would have faired better several decades ago when players weren't such wimps.

The 90+2
23-09-2019, 12:51 PM
Noooooo please stop! IMO we pick up a Stevie G or a Frank Lampard type, worked in the Premiership so has training and top coaching experience.

Damien Duff anybody?

Rather go for Kennedy.

ScottB
23-09-2019, 01:06 PM
You can only go by what you know. And Stubbs completely transformed this club when we were in trouble before. Brought some amazing players to the club. Played some amazing football. Oh aye and won the Scottish Cup. I honestly couldnt care less what he has done since. He was great for Hibs and that was only a few years ago.

And finished third behind Falkirk.

Yes, he won the Cup, forever grateful will I be for that. But he's bombed out everywhere he's been since, him coming back is no guarantee he'd suddenly do better again with us, and indeed, the pressure and expectation that he should could easily weigh him down.

If we want a successful new manager, replicate the hiring process that delivered the ones who were good, we don't need to just rehire the same guy.

Barman Stanton
23-09-2019, 01:17 PM
And finished third behind Falkirk.

Yes, he won the Cup, forever grateful will I be for that. But he's bombed out everywhere he's been since, him coming back is no guarantee he'd suddenly do better again with us, and indeed, the pressure and expectation that he should could easily weigh him down.

If we want a successful new manager, replicate the hiring process that delivered the ones who were good, we don't need to just rehire the same guy.

I'm fully aware where he finished. I'm not going to go into that all again, been round these circles before on here. And like I said, I know some would not like that appointment.

Been watching Hibs since early 80s though and Stubbs is one of the very few managers where I looked forward to all Hibs games.

Speedway
23-09-2019, 01:27 PM
I'm fully aware where he finished. I'm not going to go into that all again, been round these circles before on here. And like I said, I know some would not like that appointment.

Been watching Hibs since early 80s though and Stubbs is one of the very few managers where I looked forward to all Hibs games.

Of course you did, we were playing teams with a 1/10th of our budget or less.

Its like being a Celtic fan.

Barman Stanton
23-09-2019, 01:34 PM
Of course you did, we were playing teams with a 1/10th of our budget or less.

Its like being a Celtic fan.

I also enjoyed us beating all those Premier teams in cups in fairness.

jacomo
23-09-2019, 01:54 PM

:agree:

Ridiculous to say Stubbs only played against smaller clubs. We were regularly tested against the big boys throughout his tenure.

Barman Stanton
23-09-2019, 02:03 PM

Ridiculous to say Stubbs only played against smaller clubs. We were regularly tested against the big boys throughout his tenure.

There are plenty Hibs fans who wouldnt want Stubbs back. Which I do get if you look at the black and white of no promotion. I just think he was a great fit for this club.

CathroMustStay
23-09-2019, 02:03 PM
A big fat no to Collins.

Fife-Hibee
23-09-2019, 02:06 PM
There are plenty Hibs fans who wouldnt want Stubbs back. Which I do get if you look at the black and white of no promotion. I just think he was a great fit for this club.

I think the biggest concern is that he comes back and it doesn't work out this time, putting a taint on his legacy here. I'm not so sure he'd want to come back for that very reason.

we are hibs
23-09-2019, 02:08 PM
I think the biggest concern is that he comes back and it doesn't work out this time, putting a taint on his legacy here. I'm not so sure he'd want to come back for that very reason.

Given so many hibs fans go out their way already to try and taint everything he done for the club im not sure how much of a difference it would make tbh.

Barman Stanton
23-09-2019, 02:22 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't blame him if that was the case. He publicly said to give him a call last time though so my gut feeling is he would jump at it.

lyonhibs
23-09-2019, 02:30 PM
Absolutely not.

Good lord what a crock of *****. If you weren't able to see a defined and successful style of play under Collins then you can't have been at Ibrox when we played them off the park. Something that the current jester hasn't been able to come close to. It all ended a bit ****ty under Collins and he make some rotten signings but his team (not Mowbray's) won us the LC and gave me a couple of the best away days ever as a Hibs fan.

I don't want him back or anything crackers, but comparing him on a 1:1 basis with this wet blanket in the dugout at the moment is the realm of the vision-impaired lunatic IMO.

Fife-Hibee
23-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Given so many hibs fans go out their way already to try and taint everything he done for the club im not sure how much of a difference it would make tbh.

I don't believe that's the case at all. He'll go down in Hibee legend. He's left this club on the highest possible note. I don't think he'll want to risk souring it.

The Modfather
23-09-2019, 02:47 PM
Yes I absolutely would. He had us playing some great football and we won the League Cup.

He also gives the kids a chance.

The big question mark is his eye for recruitment. I am not sure what happened over the summer and who is responsible for our disastrous transfer business, but Collins with a good recruitment team alongside him would be a good bet.

I think he’s been out of management too long now unfortunately, think we had the right man at the wrong time. He would have thrived under our new set up, sports science team, recruitment and the training centre he was a big part of helping to create. Although we have clearly regressed in those areas of the set up since Stubbs.

I’d have big reservations about his recruitment, but with a number two that wasn’t Tommy Craig, and if he could work with the recruitment team the way Stubbs did he could do well. He improved the players that were willing to learn and live a professional lifestyle e.g. Stevenson, and was good tactically (Murphy playing DM and man marking Scott Brown our of the game against Celtic for example. Although not all of those innovations worked, McCann at CB away to Aberdeen).

I think too much time has passed and there’s, bizarrely, still a lot of Ill feeling from some Hibs fans towards Collins who would be starting on the back foot. Personally I’d not be against the idea though.

The Modfather
23-09-2019, 02:53 PM
Colins had us playing some great football until he lost the dressing room. Great tactician, but his man management skills ultimately let him down. I reckon he would have faired better several decades ago when players weren't such wimps.

Given the downward spiral we went on, and Petrie having to admit there was a toxic culture at the club that needed addressed. I personally think history favours Collins in that dispute. Although it would seem he wasn’t without fault and lacking in elements of man management as well.

I'm Spartacus
23-09-2019, 03:03 PM
This 3-4 year contract malarkey and paying people off 6-12 months into it must have cost us 7 figures

CloudSquall
23-09-2019, 03:21 PM
I'd rather have Collins over Stubbs but that's possibly (100% definitely) down to my man crush.

Cod Boy
23-09-2019, 03:26 PM
Forget being the manager John Collins would walk into the current first team.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-09-2019, 03:27 PM
if Collins hadn't been an exceptional player for us, we would not be discussing him.

hibee_girl
23-09-2019, 03:37 PM
if Collins hadn't been an exceptional player for us, we would not be discussing him.

He did win us a cup as a manager

Torto7
23-09-2019, 03:40 PM
I think he’s been out of management too long now unfortunately, think we had the right man at the wrong time. He would have thrived under our new set up, sports science team, recruitment and the training centre he was a big part of helping to create. Although we have clearly regressed in those areas of the set up since Stubbs.

I’d have big reservations about his recruitment, but with a number two that wasn’t Tommy Craig, and if he could work with the recruitment team the way Stubbs did he could do well. He improved the players that were willing to learn and live a professional lifestyle e.g. Stevenson, and was good tactically (Murphy playing DM and man marking Scott Brown our of the game against Celtic for example. Although not all of those innovations worked, McCann at CB away to Aberdeen).

I think too much time has passed and there’s, bizarrely, still a lot of Ill feeling from some Hibs fans towards Collins who would be starting on the back foot. Personally I’d not be against the idea though.

I wouldn't be against it either. That was the fittest Hibs team I've seen. If he wasn't responsible for identifying players it could work out well imo.

scuttle
23-09-2019, 03:58 PM
He did win us a cup as a manager

And had us top of the spl, wouldnt be unhappy if he got the gig

CRAZYHIBBY
23-09-2019, 04:03 PM
No chance... collins was a grade A prick towards his own players

matty_f
23-09-2019, 04:11 PM
Just met him in the airport lounge at Edinburgh airport and I don’t think he’s interested in the job.

scooby
23-09-2019, 04:16 PM

I would have him back but only with Doolan and Taff, but sadly I think you're right.
I loved going to the games when he was at the helm, we played really entertaining football, which is the polar opposite of where we are now.

EVENTUALLY
23-09-2019, 04:19 PM
How about Ex-Hibby Danny Lennon.
League cup winning manager and has got Clyde going.

Percy Vere
23-09-2019, 05:08 PM

Great player but poor manager.
Why would we?????

hibs#1
23-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Rather go for Kennedy.

I've thought about him as well, not saying he would be any good just seems the type we would go for.

hibs#1
23-09-2019, 05:27 PM
How about Ex-Hibby Danny Lennon.
League cup winning manager and has got Clyde going.

Maybe as someone's assistant?

Golden Bear
23-09-2019, 05:53 PM
Could someone please change the thread title. John Collins was one of our best ever players and the least we can do is ensure that his name is spelt correctly!

Kavinho
23-09-2019, 05:55 PM

Bet he could do a job for us though!

Turkish Green
23-09-2019, 08:41 PM

1. Brian Kerr
2. Alan O'Brien
3. Patrick Noubissie
4. Mikel Antoine Curier
5. Ma-Calamity
6. Hong Kong Thierry
7. Filipe Morais
8. Clayton Donaldson
11. Failed at Charleroi

NOPE.

Could not make a go of it as Head of Youth at Livi when Yogi was manager. First thing he did was get rid of the U19s and U17s squads. Hate the chocolate ********.

And NOPE by the way.

bigwheel
23-09-2019, 08:42 PM
Could not make a go of it as Head of Youth at Livi when Yogi was manager. First thing he did was get rid of the U19s and U17s squads. Hate the chocolate ********.

And NOPE by the way.

Collins was director of football at Livi. Not head of Youth ...

CloudSquall
23-09-2019, 08:54 PM

1. Brian Kerr
2. Alan O'Brien
3. Patrick Noubissie
4. Mikel Antoine Curier
5. Ma-Calamity
6. Hong Kong Thierry
7. Filipe Morais
8. Clayton Donaldson
11. Failed at Charleroi

NOPE.

In fairness everyone from 1 to 8 apart from Maka would walk into our team now :greengrin

jacomo
23-09-2019, 10:19 PM

1. Brian Kerr
2. Alan O'Brien
3. Patrick Noubissie
4. Mikel Antoine Curier
5. Ma-Calamity
6. Hong Kong Thierry
7. Filipe Morais
8. Clayton Donaldson
11. Failed at Charleroi

NOPE.

Ok sure, but at some point you’ve gotta say what you stand for.

The current manger is garbage and we need a new one.

We give our trophy winning managers (Collins and Stubbs) too little respect imo. No wonder we don’t win much.

Barman Stanton
24-09-2019, 07:32 AM

And NOPE by the way.

You hate a guy that played around 200 games for us and won a cup as manager?

Barman Stanton
24-09-2019, 07:33 AM

We give our trophy winning managers (Collins and Stubbs) too little respect imo. No wonder we don’t win much.

Agreed, its crazy. You would think we had a bustling trophy room and not only won just 6 cups in our whole history.

Greenworld
24-09-2019, 08:07 AM
Stubbs will never be back at ER imo.I'm interested on your reasoning for that or is it just a gut feeling

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

jacomo
24-09-2019, 08:37 AM
I'm interested on your reasoning for that or is it just a gut feeling

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Stubbs went public with his desire to return in January.

We appointed Hecky instead.

I think it’s fair to assume that LD doesn’t want him back.

The 90+2
24-09-2019, 09:59 AM

We don’t win too much because the support don’t respect cup winning managers as much respect as they should? Not seasons and years of neglecting the product on the pitch and shocking decisions? Both Stubbs and Collins quit the club also btw.

Speedway
24-09-2019, 10:10 AM
:aok: Christ, Una Stubbs would be better than Hecky.

At least she could 'Give Us A Clue'.

Like Ross County?

In fairness everyone from 1 to 8 apart from Maka would walk into our team now :greengrin

:greengrin

Percy Vere
24-09-2019, 04:12 PM

My six packs better than yours.
You can stick JC where the sun don’t shine. No place for him at Hibs this decade or any decade.

A Hi-Bee
24-09-2019, 04:22 PM
John Collins, one of the best players we had since the Tornado days, he wisnie bad as a manager either and should have been backed by a boneless board at the time. he was also very right about the glass ceiling at Hibs.
Still looks like he would do better in that team of misfits today.

Iain G
24-09-2019, 05:49 PM
My six packs better than yours.
You can stick JC where the sun don’t shine. No place for him at Hibs this decade or any decade.

Why such vitriol?!?

Steve-O
25-09-2019, 01:57 AM
Stubbs (and his backroom team) is about the only acceptable former manager choice at this stage. Is Mowbray in a job? He'd maybe be acceptable too, although incredibly, he's already been away 12 years! Where does the time go...

The rest of our ex-managers can absolutely remain ex-managers thank you very much.

FilipinoHibs
25-09-2019, 02:20 AM
Stubbs went public with his desire to return in January.

We appointed Hecky instead.

I think it’s fair to assume that LD doesn’t want him back.

Heard from someone who knows someone at East Mains that Stubbs Iined up as caretaker manager to end of season when PH goes.

FilipinoHibs
25-09-2019, 02:23 AM
John Collins, one of the best players we had since the Tornado days, he wisnie bad as a manager either and should have been backed by a boneless board at the time. he was also very right about the glass ceiling at Hibs.

Met him on a plane recently- long distance - and spent the whole time analysing games on his laptop. Surprisingly he ate nothing but junk food and flirted with the air hostesses. But was a nice guy and we chatted about his Hibs days off and on the park. Told him I was over the moon when signed again for us.

Haymaker
25-09-2019, 02:41 AM
'bring back Deeks!'

He'd do a job for us :agree:

MikeyS
25-09-2019, 07:15 AM

If you were on the board at that time, how would you have found the millions to back him in signing Stevie Naismith & Stevie Hammell?? As far as I can remember that's the only thing he wasnt backed on. He certainly got the boards backing after the player revolt. He was allowed to get rid of all the players he wanted.

Smartie
25-09-2019, 07:28 AM
If you were on the board at that time, how would you have found the millions to back him in signing Stevie Naismith & Stevie Hammell?? As far as I can remember that's the only thing he wasnt backed on. He certainly got the boards backing after the player revolt. He was allowed to get rid of all the players he wanted.

We were bringing in loads of money at that time and the money required for those 2 would have been much less than we were bringing in for the likes of Thomson, Brown or Murphy.

Hibs had the money earmarked for elsewhere.

The Naismith suggestion from Collins I accept was fanciful but the Hammell transfer should have been very much achievable and given the number of years good service he have Motherwell, probably good value. Collins was right to ask wtf was going on if we couldn't even make that one happen - and the transfer activity over the next few years would suggest he very much had a point.

Jones28
25-09-2019, 07:30 AM
Why such vitriol?!?

Percy hasn’t got as good a six pack as JC

MikeyS
25-09-2019, 07:55 AM
We were bringing in loads of money at that time and the money required for those 2 would have been much less than we were bringing in for the likes of Thomson, Brown or Murphy.

Hibs had the money earmarked for elsewhere.

The Naismith suggestion from Collins I accept was fanciful but the Hammell transfer should have been very much achievable and given the number of years good service he have Motherwell, probably good value. Collins was right to ask wtf was going on if we couldn't even make that one happen - and the transfer activity over the next few years would suggest he very much had a point.

The year previously Motherwell had turned down £1m from Celtic for him, how much do you think we would have got him for?

Collins was also very well backed when signing the likes of Makalamby & O'Brien. Neither of those would've been cheap when you factor in their wages too.

Anyway, that's all been and done. John Collins is most definitely not the answer for us moving forward.

Smartie
25-09-2019, 08:07 AM
The year previously Motherwell had turned down £1m from Celtic for him, how much do you think we would have got him for?

Collins was also very well backed when signing the likes of Makalamby & O'Brien. Neither of those would've been cheap when you factor in their wages too.

Anyway, that's all been and done. John Collins is most definitely not the answer for us moving forward.

I'm pretty sure he was at Southend at this point and a deal worth £250k - £300 was suggested. Not that unreasonable an outlay to replace your LB who was leaving for iirc just north of £1m.

I agree that Collins is not the way forward and I agree that his signings were bowfing, but I did like how fit he had us and how well he had us playing at points. For a rookie manager at that point he was going to make mistakes, which he did, but I thought there was a cracking manager in there who had huge potential with a bit of backing and support. He has also subsequently been found to be correct about a lot of things.

Diclonius
25-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Another manager who talked a good game but never followed through on it and signed guff.

At least Heckingbottom wouldn't play Kevin McCann at centre back.

Golden Bear
25-09-2019, 08:30 AM

The appointment of Tommy Craig as his Assistant looked to be a sensible move but it didn't turn out that way. From what I gather he was responsible for many of the poor signings that were made.

For what its worth, I'd welcome JC back at any time.

Carheenlea
25-09-2019, 08:36 AM
Heard from someone who knows someone at East Mains that Stubbs Iined up as caretaker manager to end of season when PH goes.

Is this a genuine post or just a made up made up rumour?

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 08:39 AM
Is this a genuine post or just a made up made up rumour?

Pray to Allah it’s genuine.

Smartie
25-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Another manager who talked a good game but never followed through on it and signed guff.

At least Heckingbottom wouldn't play Kevin McCann at centre back.

That move didn't work, but I always think it's a bit harsh that Collins seems to be defined by it.

He had a habit of making fairly creative tactical moves - Boozy at sweeper, Kevin McCann and David Murphy both played DM on occasion and the times these moves worked outnumbered the only time it didn't work (but that's the one most folk remember).

I thought Collins was very tactically astute overall, about as good as we've had in that regard. He came up with some really good, quite "out there" gameplans for games with the Old Firm and was good at reading a game and changing it with subs and tactical moves.

Obviously that dreadful performance at Pittodrie with McCann at CB was the exception but it has since been unfairly manipulated into being the rule.

Jones28
25-09-2019, 09:01 AM
I liked JC, he was hamstrung by budgets and limited in terms of who he could bring in. Those were the proper penny pinching years when the club were paying off the training centre.

We played some tremendous football under him but his man management skills seemed to be severely lacking.

1 8 7 5
25-09-2019, 09:02 AM

1. Brian Kerr
2. Alan O'Brien
3. Patrick Noubissie
4. Mikel Antoine Curier
5. Ma-Calamity
6. Hong Kong Thierry
7. Filipe Morais
8. Clayton Donaldson
11. Failed at Charleroi
12. Hasn't managed for 10 years
NOPE.

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 09:08 AM
That move didn't work, but I always think it's a bit harsh that Collins seems to be defined by it.

He had a habit of making fairly creative tactical moves - Boozy at sweeper, Kevin McCann and David Murphy both played DM on occasion and the times these moves worked outnumbered the only time it didn't work (but that's the one most folk remember).

I thought Collins was very tactically astute overall, about as good as we've had in that regard. He came up with some really good, quite "out there" gameplans for games with the Old Firm and was good at reading a game and changing it with subs and tactical moves.

Obviously that dreadful performance at Pittodrie with McCann at CB was the exception but it has since been unfairly manipulated into being the rule.

Boozy played sweeper in a 3-3 draw, it didn’t really work defensively. McCann up at Aberdeen was a complete shambles.
JC had some great and some not so good moments and it was going way downhill as he quit. He left a complete and utter shambles of a squad for the next two managers to inherit try to work with and find themselves sacked because the money had gone on the likes of Makalambay and AoB.

Barman Stanton
25-09-2019, 09:13 AM
I would have liked Collins to have been brought in to run our youth academy. From what I remember, all the young players liked working under him, it was the senior players that took acceptation to his changes. His standards when it comes down to looking after yourself would have been a great example to any kid joining the club.

jacomo
25-09-2019, 09:17 AM
We don’t win too much because the support don’t respect cup winning managers as much respect as they should? Not seasons and years of neglecting the product on the pitch and shocking decisions? Both Stubbs and Collins quit the club also btw.

Stubbs and Collins both quit at a time when a good chunk of the support wanted rid.

Hecky will do nothing at Hibs and is on borrowed time. Stubbs and Collins both achieved moments of greatness but also had setbacks.

It would be helpful imo if we showed more patience and respect towards those who can lead us to great things.

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 09:20 AM
Stubbs and Collins both quit at a time when a good chunk of the support wanted rid.

Hecky will do nothing at Hibs and is on borrowed time. Stubbs and Collins both achieved moments of greatness but also had setbacks.

It would be helpful imo if we showed more patience and respect towards those who can lead us to great things.

Collins quit because of the Hibs board nothing else and Stubbs left to go to another team. Absolutely nothing to do with the patience of the support. The support had a massive factor in the sackings of Mixu (season ticket sales shocking) and Fenlon (should have went long before).

I wasn’t too bothered when JC left although the timing could have been a lot lot better. Stubbs if he stayed would have been backed by the overwhelming majority of the support for the following season without a shadow of a doubt.

I do get the message your sending out though and I would agree.

Smartie
25-09-2019, 09:33 AM
Boozy played sweeper in a 3-3 draw, it didn’t really work defensively. McCann up at Aberdeen was a complete shambles.
JC had some great and some not so good moments and it was going way downhill as he quit. He left a complete and utter shambles of a squad for the next two managers to inherit try to work with and find themselves sacked because the money had gone on the likes of Makalambay and AoB.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/hibs-star-beuzelin-wants-to-push-956965.amp

Was it not in a 3-2 win?

A 3-2 win over Celtic is a good result at any time, however it is achieved.

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 09:57 AM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/hibs-star-beuzelin-wants-to-push-956965.amp

Was it not in a 3-2 win?

A 3-2 win over Celtic is a good result at any time, however it is achieved.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/6598837.stm

This game mate. He got sent off and McCann scored a belter. It’s how I remember it. I forgot if he played there in Browns last match for us.

Smartie
25-09-2019, 09:59 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/6598837.stm

This game mate. He got sent off and McCann scored a belter. It’s how I remember it. I forgot if he played there in Browns last match for us.

Fair enough.

Last paragraph does mention that he had a good game at centre half though.

:wink:

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Fair enough.

Last paragraph does mention that he had a good game at centre half though.

:wink:

Ken :greengrin

ahibby
25-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Duff Jimmy had us top of the league in October too. We know how that finished.

Yes but JC had us win a cup and finish top six in the same season. Duffy did not.

raeburnhibs
25-09-2019, 10:32 AM
He won't be back as manager, but 5-1 in a national cup final, where we played outstandingly and we could all relax and enjoy about 20 minutes late in the game knowing we had it under control. My best day ever as a Hibs fan (closely followed by 6-2), I missed May 2016. He should be considered a legend for this achievement alone and forget all his apparent failings.

gorgie greens
25-09-2019, 10:58 AM
Every time we have a rough patch John Collins gets mentioned. The team he left us with when he jumped ship would probably struggle to beat the current lot.

Thanks for the cup win and dominant performances at Fir Park and Ibrox but he's not the answer.

does not help when you have all the best Scottish yougsters being sold from under your feet at the time

FilipinoHibs
25-09-2019, 11:08 AM
does not help when you have all the best Scottish yougsters being sold from under your feet at the time

He knew that was the case when he took over. Why Mowbary left.

Golden Bear
25-09-2019, 11:38 AM
He won't be back as manager, but 5-1 in a national cup final, where we played outstandingly and we could all relax and enjoy about 20 minutes late in the game knowing we had it under control. My best day ever as a Hibs fan (closely followed by 6-2), I missed May 2016. He should be considered a legend for this achievement alone and forget all his apparent failings.

I can only image the emotions that JC was feeling that day.

Let's not forget that his Dad passed away in the week leading up to the Final.

jacomo
25-09-2019, 12:04 PM

A special mention too for the Hearts game that kicked off that league cup campaign. Collins’ first match in charge and we were in poor form. It was the most dominant 1-0 win I have ever seen, 81% possession for Hibs.

The 90+2
25-09-2019, 12:13 PM

A special mention too for the Hearts game that kicked off that league cup campaign. Collins’ first match in charge and we were in poor form. It was the most dominant 1-0 win I have ever seen, 81% possession for Hibs.

First match in charge was 2-2 v Killie at home. That Hearts game we mauled them to bits though. Sure that was the game they had that but job Eddie in charge 😂😂😂

pacoluna
25-09-2019, 04:20 PM
First match in charge was 2-2 v Killie at home. That Hearts game we mauled them to bits though. Sure that was the game they had that but job Eddie in charge 😂😂😂

One of the many games that zibi ****ed up in.

Jamesconnolly
25-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Someone asked already. But please change the spelling