PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Hearts 22 09 19)

Jonnyboy
22-09-2019, 07:12 PM
Four stands all singing “You’re getting sacked in the morning,” aimed at Levein after Mallan’s stunning opening goal. I felt great at that point but wind forward forty five minutes and I left Easter Road feeling mightily unhappy. What a cruel game football can be. I mean let’s be honest, Hibs scored a cracker, Levein changed the shape of his side and we didn’t cope with that. Outsmarted by the football genius that is Craig Levein and that was the final straw for me as I am now firmly in the camp that wants Heckingbottom replaced and soon before his damage is beyond recovery by whoever takes his place.

As to the game itself, Hibs made one change from the side that started last time out when Maxwell replaced Marciano in goal. In a way I could understand that as despite making a number of good saves in recent games, Rocky has also in my opinion been at fault for a few of the goals conceded. Essentially then, Heckingbottom started the same outfield eleven that had capitulated at Rugby Park and that made me think of a famous quote attributed to Einstein – “Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.” I cannot believe that the manager, who must surely know the pressure he is under, decided that no changes were required in the outfield positions. That is an insane thought in my eyes. A couple of obvious changes for me were to play Middleton instead of Horgan and Fraser Murray ahead of Vela.

The match started quite brightly and it became obvious that despite the temptation to do so, neither side set up to defend at all costs. Indeed, inside the first ten minutes both Horgan for Hibs and Clare for Hearts had half decent chances but both failed to convert. A Mallan effort was blocked and Vela fired wide whilst Clare had another effort from a header that was miles off target.

The midfield trio for Hibs and the five for Hearts were somehow cancelling each other out and further chances were a rare breed although Hallberg might have earned himself legend status but screwed his left foot effort wide of the far post. As the half time whistle approached, Berra was lucky not to see yellow after an off the ball clash with Kamberi.

Neither manager changed personnel at half time and as fans returned to their seats Hibs went ahead in stunning fashion. A clearance from the Hearts end was intercepted by Vela and the ball broke to Mallan some thirty five yards out when he had his back to goal. Two quick touches had the ball under control and he turned to face the Hearts goal before striking a quite superb effort into the top corner with Pereira beaten all ends up. The roar from the home stands was deafening as Mallan raced along the front of the East Stand to celebrate. Once I’d calmed down I began to think that Hibs could and should go on to add to that lead but Hallberg missed from ten yards and the reality of what came next was so very different from my hopes and expectations.

As the minutes ticked down, Hibs consciously or not started to drop deeper and deeper, giving Hearts plenty of the ball which Levein quickly sussed out and made a couple of telling substitutions whilst reforming his line up to a 4-4-2. Heckingbottom failed to react and Hearts began to take the upper hand with an equaliser looking more and more likely. When it came it was a shockingly disappointing goal to concede. Referee John Beaton gave Hearts a free kick about twenty yards from goal which they took quickly whilst Hibs players fell asleep. Danger was initially averted but at the expense of a corner which, with the Hibs players seemingly still in a slumber, resulted in Mulraney’s cross being knocked down by Berra at the back post and in the ensuing scramble, Ikpeazu forced the ball home whilst he was lying on the ground. Eerily, it reminded me of Hanlon’s equaliser in the 2-2 cup game at Tynecastle.

It was pretty much all Hearts by this time with the young lad Meshino turning in a stellar performance. I feared the worst to be honest and with around five minutes to go the ‘worst’ was delivered when once again a short corner reached the unmarked Hickey near the edge of the Hibs box. The youngster must have fancied trying his luck and hit a shot that took a wicked deflection off Vela, looped up in the air and over the helpless Maxwell.

Having secured the lead, Levein brought on another defender but despite half chances falling to Allan and Naismith and a fine save by Pereira from a Naismith header, Hibs could not find the leveller. There was some booing from the home stands at the end though not nearly as much as I expected in the circumstances.

The players

Maxwell – Came out and gathered corners with some ease but if Marciano is to be criticised for his distribution then so too should Maxwell. He takes and age to kick from hand and I counted at least three occasions today when the ball sailed all the way to the other end into the arms of Pereira.

Naismith – I thought he did pretty well today and could have done with more help when Mulraney and Clare in the first half and the former and Hickey in the second were allowed more time on the ball to cause problems.

Porteous – I was worried for Ryan today as I thought his youth and inexperience might allow Ikpeazu to dominate him. In fact, for the first hour the big striker was kept relatively quiet. Ikpeazu scored the equaliser but that was no fault of Ryan’s who gets my man of the match award.

Hanlon – Not bullied as much as I thought he might be but one or two clearances had me putting my head in my hands. When you play Hearts you expect the aimless punt up the park from them but today Paul did that more than anyone.

Stevenson – Once again the wee man gets pass marks as he was pretty much error free although I predict at least one poster will highlight his poor pass in the twentieth minute that went out for a throw in whilst gleefully ignoring the fantastic run and cross he’d made moments earlier.

Mallan – Seemed to be deployed on the right but was involved in a lot of play and picked out a few decent passes. His goal was wonderful and even earned praise from Levein in his post-match interview.

Vela – Once again Josh kinda milled around in central midfield, often demanding the ball and then doing very little with it.

Hallberg – Busy enough without doing anything particularly eye catching, unless you count a fantastic crunching tackle on Whelan in the centre circle.

Allan – Two quite magnificent passes and a sponsor’s man of the match award pretty much sums Scotty up today. I expect a lot more from him in truth.

Horgan – Why he was started ahead of Middleton is a mystery to me. He was pretty much held in control by a wee laddie playing left back for Hearts and earned a booking by kicking said laddie in frustration. The laddie is Aaron Hickey and for me he is proof positive that given the opportunity, youngsters will deliver the goods. We have Murray, Stirling, Doig and Gullan just itching for the opportunity but Mr Stubborn doesn’t give them a sniff.

Kamberi – Pushed, pulled, grappled, fouled and nearly stripped of his top by Berra and Halkett, all of which went unpunished by John Beaton.

Middleton – Did more in his fifteen minutes than most had done in the game. Twice he went on mazy runs down the right, beat his man/men and either had a pop at goal or provided a cross. Take note Daryl Horgan.

Doidge – Got about ten minutes all told but I don’t recall anything of any great note during that ten minute spell.

John Beaton – Very lenient at times and overly fussy at others.

Heckingbottom – Has he gone yet?

The fans – By and large we got right behind our team after an impressive banner display before the game.

Liberal Hibby
22-09-2019, 07:17 PM
Thanks - always welcome reading your match reports from the exiles.

Nicho87
22-09-2019, 07:19 PM
When we get relegated though, season tickets price might be frozen

Sammy7nil
22-09-2019, 07:24 PM
Can't fault that summary

Hiber-nation
22-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Have to disagree about Lewis, I usually defend him to the hilt but today he was dire. He should be leading by example as a senior player but he was so hesitant all game.

Steve88
22-09-2019, 07:30 PM
As soon as Mallon got dropped deep alongside Vela when Halberg went off I said to the guys next to me that's the game done now, we'll get beat - those two in that position have been hopeless

BILLYHIBS
22-09-2019, 07:33 PM
Brilliant as usual Jonnyboy

Thanks for posting

Hecky out!

jws1875
22-09-2019, 07:36 PM
Have to disagree about Lewis, I usually defend him to the hilt but today he was dire. He should be leading by example as a senior player but he was so hesitant all game.

Agree with this. Thought he was frustrating especially in the first half going forward.

Jonnyboy
22-09-2019, 07:39 PM

Agree with this. Thought he was frustrating especially in the first half going forward.

In his defence he hardly got the chance to get forward when they were playing two wide men in a midfield five.

The Captain....
22-09-2019, 07:40 PM
I also thought of that enstein quote today during the game.

Not much to argue with on your analysis..I said last week I thought it will get worse before it gets better and I dont think we've bottomed out yet. There are serious problems at the club imo...delaying addressing the issues will only exacerbate them.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Fife-Hibee
22-09-2019, 07:44 PM
In his defence he hardly got the chance to get forward when they were playing two wide men in a midfield five.

There were times, especially in the first half where he had the entire left side of the pitch all to himself. But rather than taking a run down the side and calling for the goalkeeper to pass it to him, he would stroll over to the other side where every other player was. It didn't make any sense to me. He had so much space available to him down the left and just wouldn't use it. I normally defend Stevenson, but that was inexcusable today.

erin go bragh
22-09-2019, 07:45 PM
No mention of our pen shout at 1-0 or the chopped off goal in injury time 😉
They were rocking but his inability to make a change, cost us yet again.
Time for the board to cut our losses .

Widhibs
22-09-2019, 07:45 PM
Had my laddie there today for his first Derby game. Guess he needs to get used to this feeling but it's no easy the now for sure.

Billy Whizz
22-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Pretty spot on as usual JB. We went 1-0 up, and then dominated for 10 mins or so. We couldn’t get that 2nd goal, and it all unfolded from then on
We needed fresh legs in midfield and up front, but the Manager took to long to change it
We seriously lack pace all over the pitch, and Hearts run as ragged late on
On now to a massive game for the club on Wednesday

Jonnyboy
22-09-2019, 07:48 PM
No mention of our pen shout at 1-0 or the chopped off goal in injury time 😉
They were rocking but his inability to make a change, cost us yet again.
Time for the board to cut our losses .

Fair comment. I'd forgotten about the penalty claim and in truth I looked away for the disallowed goal as I thought the keeper had the ball. What actually happened for that 'goal?'

hfc rd
22-09-2019, 07:51 PM
Fair comment. I'd forgotten about the penalty claim and in truth I looked away for the disallowed goal as I thought the keeper had the ball. What actually happened for that 'goal?'

Doidge punched the ball out of Pereira’s hands.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Malky1875/status/1175801224110714880

wookie70
22-09-2019, 08:46 PM
I rarely criticise Lewis but I thought he was poor today. Allan, Mallan and Horgan are all a complete waste of a jersey when the other team have the ball and to an extent when we do and they don't. The front/forward thinking midfield players movement and desire are appalling with the exception of Flo who makes good run after good run with a pass rarely coming his way unless shelled from the Keeper, who at least got it in his direction most of the game. Allan far too often over complicates with world cup balls where a simple pass would reap more rewards. He gave the ball away so often today. Mallan is not involved enough and Horgan very rarely as any end product.

I thought Porteous was the pick of the team today with Hanlon having a decent match along with Naismith. Vela and Hallberg were in and out of the game and although the fans are understandably angry with Heck when I look I see players in good positions and either making poor decisions, not having a pass on because their team mates aren't moving or simply failing to graft to close the opposition down. It doesn't look like a shape problem but an application one. Hearts goals today are both examples where we have lots of men in decent positions but dither.

It also doesn't help when we get in good positions like Hallberg and completely fluff your lines.

I think I am still just in the Heck deserves more time camp but I am hanging by a thread. I'm mostly there because of what happened post Fenlon. The players in general look like they have chucked it. There were a few times today where Allan and Horgan helped Flo in pressing and Hearts couldn't cope and gave the ball away cheaply. Unfortunately, Flo was on his own for around 88 out of the 90 mins with Allan, Horgan and Mallan simply not putting the effort in. Heck needs to pick one from Mallan and Allan and play Middleton for a few weeks as he looks more likely than Horgan.

Heck also has to take some responsibility for why players aren't performing. He doesn't sound like he is going to accept the criticism when he is interviewed but also doesn't seem very confident of changing it. Are they not understanding the brief or not enjoying training etc. Are they reacting to the frequent personnel changes. Who knows but it now seems unlikely that Heck will make it through the next week as the players look like they are in a similar malaise to the months before Heck took over. Perhaps a new manager will give us a bounce or maybe they will be like Butcher was and make things worse.

I listened to Heck's Sky after match interview and I can't say I disagree with him. We sat off them and allowed them to play. The issue I have and the reason I am so close to joining the many who want him gone is that he had subs who could have brought more energy to the team and he failed to utilise them. He is most certainly at fault for that and it could have made all the difference. Middleton made an immediate impact and given how poor we were at that point it was unlikely we would get worse. I'm not sure taking Hallberg off was a good move either as Horgan seemed to be a more sensible change.

On to Killie and a chance for a trip to Hampden. I might make the effort to go through as the team needs us, not sure they deserve us though.

Coach Jon
22-09-2019, 08:46 PM
There were times, especially in the first half where he had the entire left side of the pitch all to himself. But rather than taking a run down the side and calling for the goalkeeper to pass it to him, he would stroll over to the other side where every other player was. It didn't make any sense to me. He had so much space available to him down the left and just wouldn't use it. I normally defend Stevenson, but that was inexcusable today.
Agree, that was an absolute joke, everybody standing over on our right side and the goalie launching a kick,won every time by Hearts defenders as you would expect. Tempted to call it Pub League tactics, but that would be an insult to any Pub League teams I have watched. If that is the best tactic PH can come up with then it is an easy decision for the Board to make.

Turkish Green
22-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Thank you, JB. I appreciate the write up.

Big turning point was when Levein changed from 3-5-1-1 to 4-4-2 and Hecky did nothing. Changed the balance of the game.

Hermit Crab
22-09-2019, 09:39 PM
Stevenson gets pass marks?? I watched him closely today and put if all the times he got the ball I counted 5 forward passes. The rest went sideways, back to the keeper or out for a throw in. Dreadful.

File under replace along with Hanlon. .

Fife-Hibee
22-09-2019, 09:44 PM
Stevenson gets pass marks?? I watched him closely today and put if all the times he got the ball I counted 5 forward passes. The rest went sideways, back to the keeper or out for a throw in. Dreadful.

Yet, he's our most successful player in modern history.

Coco Bryce
22-09-2019, 09:45 PM
Stevenson was dreadful today. The rest of the summary I agree with.

Nicho87
22-09-2019, 09:47 PM
We as a home team should be peppering the opposition goal with shots. We look so laboured and no threat going forward at all.

How anyone in their right mind would have Stubbs back now I really don’t know what you want for the club. A piss poor hearts team came today and thoroughly deserved to win imo. Everyone could feel it coming. 1 striker at home against a team leaking goals sums hecky up. Clueless

Stuart93
22-09-2019, 09:48 PM
Aye agree with all apart from Stevenson. He just can’t take the ball forward no matter how much space he has. Brings everything to a halt

Hermit Crab
22-09-2019, 09:58 PM
Yet, he's our most successful player in modern history.

Never had any completion, he's not a good player.

Hermit Crab
22-09-2019, 09:59 PM

Agree. :agree:

FilipinoHibs
22-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Yup no confidence. Wanted rid of ball quickly and poor final pass.

Hermit Crab
22-09-2019, 10:00 PM
Aye agree with all apart from Stevenson. He just can’t take the ball forward no matter how much space he has. Brings everything to a halt

Correct, we need attaching wingbacks, not those who act like crabs.

Jonnyboy
22-09-2019, 10:03 PM

I knew that would rattle your cage :wink:

Hermit Crab
22-09-2019, 10:23 PM
I knew that would rattle your cage :wink:

Jonnyboy, I love ya man but I don't get why you think Stevenson gets passmarks most games...:confused:

Frankhfc
22-09-2019, 11:04 PM

Didn't think he was at all 'dreadful'. Tried to get up and down the left flank and supported Horgan quite admirably to be fair. Not the worst by any means. We're crying out for a controlling composed midfielder.

Hibernia&Alba
22-09-2019, 11:07 PM
It feels like a trapped kidney stone, and I'm tired of it.

Frankhfc
22-09-2019, 11:10 PM
It feels like a trapped kidney stone, and I'm tired of it.

I've seen you posting on here asking what the very late seventies and very early eighties were like. They were really brutal. You'd have severely ruptured both kidneys if present back then kiddo.

Hibernia&Alba
22-09-2019, 11:17 PM
I've seen you posting on here asking what the very late seventies and very early eighties were like. They were really brutal. You'd have severely ruptured both kidneys if present back then kiddo.

Very true, but at least we dominated that lot in the seventies, as my dad loves to reminisce about. In my era of the 1990s onwards they have almost always had the upper hand. No league win for months, yet they turn us over at home; aye, it's like a kidney stone.

Halmyre Hibee
23-09-2019, 02:25 AM
No leaders on the pitch. Outmuscled physically and just punted it up the park in hope. Great goal and great chance to go 2 up then we sit deeper & deeper. I’ve not got all the answers but Hecky must go now. Anyone with any idea of Scottish football will do even in the interim.

Brooster
23-09-2019, 05:56 AM
Good report as always Johnny, I agree with your man of the match but dont agree with your assessment of Stevenson who is one of many needing replaced.