PDA

View Full Version : Is the Celtic game a dead rubber already?

Scotty Leither
22-09-2019, 06:36 PM
We'll either be stuck with Heckingbottom who will line up ultra defensively, much as he did against them in the Cup last year and seemed happy with a 0-2 defeat (an approach which should have set alarm bells ringing even then, or at least copped him a telling-off that is just not how a Hibs team sets up at home against anybody) and we'll suffer a doing.

Alternatively we'll have sacked him if we lose to Killie and there'll be no time to appoint someone in time, and Eddie May will be in dugout and be put up as a patsy again, and proclaim he doesn't want the job anyway, and we'll suffer a doing.

Either way if "Hecky's (still) at the wheel" next Saturday, then the Board are asleep at the wheel and will have to break cover at some point to justify their inertia.

I sincerely hope the termination package is being finalised now, but i'm not hopeful.

Jones28
22-09-2019, 06:37 PM
We’re gonna get pumped rotten.

Sammy7nil
22-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Surprised you have to ask there is no way we can compete with Celtic at the moment.

Carheenlea
22-09-2019, 06:40 PM
Heckingbottom has proven he hasn’t got what it takes against the Old Firm, and will offer them far more respect with his tactics and line up than previous managers before him, so it would be fair to suggest the game having a dead rubber feel to it.
A change of manager is not happing by next week, but if the search for one is underway and a win against Kilmarnock on Wednesday you never know, there might just be some belief that we can give them a decent game.

franck sauzee
22-09-2019, 06:40 PM
Look at what Rangers did to us, and Celtic are better than them. Dreading it

coldingham hibs
22-09-2019, 06:41 PM
Can we just award them the points and have a 1-0 defeat, that will save us all the suffering?

Sir David Gray
22-09-2019, 06:47 PM
We should go out and get 5 players sent off inside the first 10 minutes and get the game abandoned so Celtic get an automatic 4-0 win by default or whatever it is.

It's likely to be better than letting the game go the full 90 minutes. I can see them scoring 6 or 7 next week.

Joe6-2
22-09-2019, 07:01 PM
Yes

Bright_Hibee
22-09-2019, 07:08 PM
If we play like we did today we'll get a 5-0 doing. It won't be pretty at all. I'll still be up to watch it on Hibs TV though 🇳🇬

The 90+2
22-09-2019, 07:14 PM
Not a chance I’ll be watching the game even. Unless Hecky is away back down Yorkshire.

Johnny_Leith
22-09-2019, 07:21 PM
We've regressed so much. Looking at Celtic at home, which in re entire times has been a great opportunity to take points, as dead rubber.

Goodbye "new hibs". Welcome back "old hibs".

Nicho87
22-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Never a good time when your dreading your next home game. We’ve went so far backwards. All the work from Stubbs first year to 6 months ago going up in flames

NOLA
22-09-2019, 07:54 PM
Can we just award them the points and have a 1-0 defeat, that will save us all the suffering?

Think it would be called a 0-3 defeat

G B Young
22-09-2019, 08:05 PM

Celtic wouldn't accept 1-0 though. They'll want to keep their goal difference stronger than Rangers' so we'd need to offer them at least a 3-0 win, probably 4-0 for them to consider it.

Were such a thing possible I'd take that option rather than have to play the fixture.

Sir David Gray
22-09-2019, 08:07 PM
Celtic wouldn't accept 1-0 though. They'll want to keep their goal difference stronger than Rangers' so we'd need to offer them at least a 3-0 win, probably 4-0 for them to consider it.

Were such a thing possible I'd take that option rather than have to play the fixture.

4-0 would possibly still be an improvement on the actual result we would get if the game goes 90 minutes.

Is It On....
22-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Heckingbottom has proven he hasn’t got what it takes against the Old Firm, and will offer them far more respect with his tactics and line up than previous managers before him, so it would be fair to suggest the game having a dead rubber feel to it.
A change of manager is not happing by next week, but if the search for one is underway and a win against Kilmarnock on Wednesday you never know, there might just be some belief that we can give them a decent game.

"Heckingbottom has proven he hasn't got what it takes" - you didn't even need to write anymore ☹️

emerald green
22-09-2019, 08:13 PM
This thread just sums up the malaise that has enveloped club and the support. The speed and extent of the decline on the pitch has been mind boggling.

Celtic will cut through a soft, demoralised and disorganised Hibs team like a knife through butter.

Stuart93
22-09-2019, 08:15 PM
Funny, wasn’t long ago when we’d be looking forward to it believing we’d get a result

Hibernia&Alba
22-09-2019, 08:17 PM
If Hecky is still here, we are looking at a mauling aginst a team with a perfect league record. I said on another thread that, if he is still manager I might not attend; and though I probably will, that's only because my seat is paid for. How has it come to this in such a short time? It's only a year since we used to expect giving the Old Firm a real test.

Hibernia&Alba
22-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Funny, wasn’t long ago when we’d be looking forward to it believing we’d get a result

:top marks

What a rapid fall.

spike220
22-09-2019, 08:30 PM
Give the development team a run out. They might have the heart to make a match of it.

Sas_The_Hibby
22-09-2019, 08:30 PM
Not a chance I’ll be watching the game even. Unless Hecky is away back down Yorkshire.

Sorry, he'll need to get further away than that.....

B.H.F.C
22-09-2019, 08:33 PM
Celtic not beaten us, in the league at ER, since we came back up. We won’t lay a glove on them next week. It’ll be a training session.

RossScott1991
22-09-2019, 08:35 PM
Hibs 0 Celtic 4 is my early prediction

And they won’t even need to get out of first gear.

hfc rd
22-09-2019, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately, I can’t see anything other than Celtic hammering us and not needing to get out of 1st gear.

Sevco destroyed us at Ibrox and Celtic are a better team than them.

Sir David Gray
22-09-2019, 08:44 PM
5-0 at least.

Broken Gnome
22-09-2019, 08:46 PM
Any dot counter able to track how many £32 walk-ups we sell this week? Record lows?

Hibernia&Alba
22-09-2019, 08:49 PM
Any dot counter able to track how many £32 walk-ups we sell this week? Record lows?

I would imagine not many at all at that price, when defeat looks nailed on. Shame.

Sir David Gray
22-09-2019, 08:52 PM

I honestly can't see why anyone who doesn't have a season ticket would go next week.

Bright_Hibee
22-09-2019, 09:12 PM

And those ridiculous £45 tickets.

Hibernia&Alba
22-09-2019, 09:15 PM
And those ridiculous £45 tickets.

What £45 tickets?

gegs70
22-09-2019, 09:32 PM
It's kind of like brexit - what they said was on offer - wasn't.... He said a high pressing game fast paced football, I'm still waiting... Nowhere near! The players brought in aren't great, we got rid of better players. Anyway I'm unable to make the game next week but it's been difficult to want to go to the games just now

hfc rd
22-09-2019, 09:33 PM
What £45 tickets?

The black leather seat ones in F5 Upper & West Stand Upper & Lower.

Hibernia&Alba
22-09-2019, 09:45 PM
The black leather seat ones in F5 Upper & West Stand Upper & Lower.

It might only be a small number of seats, but it's far too expensive. £45 is ripping the pish.

Coco Bryce
22-09-2019, 09:46 PM
Rag dolled 0-5

Paisley Hibby
22-09-2019, 09:50 PM
I honestly can't see why anyone who doesn't have a season ticket would go next week.

And many of those of us with season tickets won't be there either.

Nicho87
22-09-2019, 10:00 PM
Season ticket holder. On tv. Expecting to get gubbed. Not appealing currently.

Kano Kirsty
22-09-2019, 10:08 PM
FFS. I honestly believe we’ll win this next week, don’t ask me why!

As for Wednesday, we’ll win on penalties.

Ever the optimist me! 😀

Wilson
22-09-2019, 10:15 PM

Ever the optimist me! 😀

Not so much optimism as lunacy.

truehibernian
22-09-2019, 10:19 PM
Folk clearly haven't seen how PH sets up against the OF - defeatist, negative, and they'll take 5 or 6 off us - easily.

You see the free agents out there who would refresh and add quality, you've got to question the owner and whether he's interested in building a team that can compete. Especially after what he's seen what Heckingbottom has brought in.

The Harp Awakes
22-09-2019, 10:31 PM

Yes, even going to Parkheid we'd have a go at them and usually give them a game. Now there is no hope or enthusiasm. If Heck is still the Manager on Saturday we could be looking at a paltry home support as few Hibs fans will be looking forward to the game.

Dempster needs to look back at the freefall which occurred under Butcher, and act quickly before it's too late. Teams are running through our midfield as if it wasn't there, and the shambolic recruitment means we have no obvious options to change things around. Add in a Manager who doesn't know what he's doing and a relegation dog fight beckons.

Mixu1875
23-09-2019, 12:35 AM
Going into any game with the mentality that it is a dead rubber should be criminal offence. What’s the point if we’re just going to throw the towel before a ball is even kicked?

Hibernia&Alba
23-09-2019, 12:41 AM
Going into any game with the mentality that it is a dead rubber should be criminal offence. What’s the point if we’re just going to throw the towel before a ball is even kicked?

Make a realistic for our winning this game under Hecky….

Steve-O
23-09-2019, 02:21 AM
Absolutely pumped and we’ll witness Lennon having a great old chuckle to himself. Hibs will struggle to give away tickets

Kano Kirsty
26-09-2019, 11:10 AM
Not so much optimism as lunacy.

That’s part one done!

See if it comes to fruition I’ll be kicking myself for not putting a fiver on at the bookies 🥺

flash
26-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Going to be an occasion for brave hearts both on and off the pitch. I agree with the season ticket holders who are staying away because they no longer support the team.

BILLYHIBS
26-09-2019, 11:22 AM

Ever the optimist me! 😀

‘Do us all a favour and post your numbers for the Euromillions on Friday :greengrin

heretoday
26-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Should be a good match on Saturday. Hibs will have got a lift from last night.
You never know.

Here’s Lucy!
26-09-2019, 12:19 PM
Despite the little bit of confidence that will surely have been gained from last night, I think we will get done about four or five nil.

Happy to be proved wrong (as appears to be the thing to say, nowadays).

Here’s Lucy!
26-09-2019, 12:20 PM
‘Do us all a favour and post your numbers for the Euromillions on Friday :greengrin

:greengrin:greengrin

Bobby's Cinema
26-09-2019, 12:24 PM
As much as I feel the same as most posters on here, can we be reminded that a rotten Hearts team could have beat them at Hamden in the final very recently.

Forgetting everything else, when the whistle goes it’s a semi final that we can win.

Here’s Lucy!
26-09-2019, 12:29 PM
As much as I feel the same as most posters on here, can we be reminded that a rotten Hearts team could have beat them at Hamden in the final very recently.

Forgetting everything else, when the whistle goes it’s a semi final that we can win.

Remember though, it was virtually a reserve Celtic side in the CF.

Heartsstill couldn’t beat them. :greengrin

JimBHibees
26-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Hamilton only lost to Celtic 1-0 a couple of weeks back so no reason we cant compete with them.

lyonhibs
26-09-2019, 12:46 PM
A cursory glance at the league table, combined with Heckingbottom's repeated timid, hands-off approach to games at home to the OF, indicate that if we score a goal and lose by less than 3 clear goals, that would be exceeding my expectations tbh.

And I'm usually firmly in the "we have to believe we at least could win this game" camp.

Onceinawhile
26-09-2019, 12:48 PM

Ever the optimist me! 😀

Yassss. Nailed on now.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

southsider
26-09-2019, 12:59 PM

Ever the optimist me! 😀

What’s the Euromillions numbers for Friday ? I’ll buy LG honest !

pacoluna
26-09-2019, 01:01 PM
Thought celtic were going to be ***** under lennon? What's changed people's mind, surely with that mindset we should fancy our chances.

GloryGlory
26-09-2019, 01:02 PM

No, just PM them to me. :greengrin

Anthony Soprano
26-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Ever the optimist me! 😀

:eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:
maybe i will head along on saturday

Anthony Soprano
26-09-2019, 01:16 PM
Thought celtic were going to be ***** under lennon? What's changed people's mind, surely with that mindset we should fancy our chances.

Probably because they're not actually s****.
They've won their first 6 games and have a goal difference of +17
We've got 1 win from 6 and have a goal difference of -10

The 90+2
26-09-2019, 01:17 PM

How do you fancy our chances?

Kano Kirsty
26-09-2019, 03:53 PM
Get your money on 2-1 Hibs on Saturday. It’ll pay for your afternoon/night out. 😀

Disclaimer - I don’t have a bet on myself and can take no responsibility for loss of coinage.

heretoday
26-09-2019, 03:59 PM
Hibs are 15/2. I'll have a dab.
You just never know.

erin go bragh
26-09-2019, 04:26 PM
Hibs are 15/2. I'll have a dab.
You just never know.

We were 15/2 to win on pens last night 🤔
Had a wee bet 😉
Will do the same this Saturday 🤞

Since90+2
26-09-2019, 04:28 PM
I'd be amazed if we were to even get a point on Saturday nevermind win. Extra time last night certainly won't have helped our cause whilst Celtic were able to rest key players.

I think we will lose and probably lose heavily.

The 90+2
26-09-2019, 04:31 PM
We will get ripped apart.

Hibernia&Alba
26-09-2019, 04:33 PM
On the current form of both teams we have no chance. However, perhaps the lift of making the semis last night gives us a wee sniff, though I won't be putting money it. I just hope we give it a good go; Hecky has been far too cautious against the Old Firm thus far. If Celtic are just too strong on the day, fair enough, but don't have us beaten from the first whistle.

Here’s Lucy!
26-09-2019, 04:35 PM
We will get ripped apart.

If it’s less than four, I’ll eat my hat.

chrisski33
26-09-2019, 04:42 PM
We will get torn apart. What's the bets Leigh plays and scores?

JimBHibees
27-09-2019, 11:14 AM
The only thing I am holding onto at the moment for tomorrow is that they seemed to struggle against Hamilton a week or two back and only won 1-0 however think that was directly after a European game. Although they played midweek it was very much a second string side so their main guys will be fresh to go I think.

Onceinawhile
27-09-2019, 12:07 PM
The only thing I am holding onto at the moment for tomorrow is that they seemed to struggle against Hamilton a week or two back and only won 1-0 however think that was directly after a European game. Although they played midweek it was very much a second string side so their main guys will be fresh to go I think.

Nope. It was their game after the old firm derby.

No midweek game.

Keith_M
27-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Had a quick look online and there's only three sections sold out, though a couple have only one or two seats left.

Anybody care to do a dot count?

Franck Stanton
27-09-2019, 12:18 PM
As most are sure we will be on the wrong side of a heavy defeat, & quite a lot of fans talking about a boycott, seems an ideal opportunity to boycott as lot of hibs fans not going anyway. Don't get me wrong, not calling for boycott but as many will be missing anyway. May send our board a strong message.

flash
27-09-2019, 12:29 PM
As most are sure we will be on the wrong side of a heavy defeat, & quite a lot of fans talking about a boycott, seems an ideal opportunity to boycott as lot of hibs fans not going anyway. Don't get me wrong, not calling for boycott but as many will be missing anyway. May send our board a strong message.

So you aren't boycotting the game, you just don't fancy it as we will probably get beat.

The 90+2
27-09-2019, 12:34 PM
So you aren't boycotting the game, you just don't fancy it as we will probably get beat.

It hurts and rages me to sit through old firm maulings like back before relegation, can see why folk would give it a miss because of that. Fortunately it’s been taken out my hands over going tomorrow otherwise I would have a dilemma.

calumhibee1
27-09-2019, 12:49 PM
Interesting to see a post on Facebook with the team that beat Celtic last season at ER.

Only Hyndman and Efe started that day that aren’t still at the club.

Rocky

Whittaker
Ambrose
Porteous
Stevenson

Slivka
Mallan
Horgan
Hyndman

Shaw
Flo

Throw in Allan for Hyndman, Naismith or James for Whittaker and Hanlon for Ambrose and is the team now possibly stronger player for player if you played the rest of that XI?

mutley
27-09-2019, 12:59 PM

What kind of hat?

MacGruber
27-09-2019, 01:01 PM
Interesting to see a post on Facebook with the team that beat Celtic last season at ER.

Rocky

Whittaker
Ambrose
Porteous
Stevenson

Slivka
Mallan
Horgan
Hyndman

Shaw
Flo

Throw in Allan for Hyndman, Naismith or James for Whittaker and Hanlon for Ambrose and is the team now possibly stronger player for player if you played the rest of that XI?

Wow - that is something!

Also goes to show difference in mindset between managers - no way Hecky is starting 2 up top tomorrow.

We scored in this game (team above) after 40 seconds or something. 2 up front, taking the game to them, on the front foot. Will be so different tomorrow, virtual surrender like his last effort v Celtic at Easter Road

lyonhibs
27-09-2019, 01:14 PM
On the current form of both teams we have no chance. However, perhaps the lift of making the semis last night gives us a wee sniff, though I won't be putting money it. I just hope we give it a good go; Hecky has been far too cautious against the Old Firm thus far. If Celtic are just too strong on the day, fair enough, but don't have us beaten from the first whistle.

That's it for me. You'll definitely lose sitting off them and giving them time on the ball in the midfield in the hope of simply jamming up the penalty box with sheer numbers of last ditch defenders.

If we are in their faces, standing on their toes from the first whistle to last, and have an actual go, who knows? Probably we'll get beat, but at least the fans will know the team and management's mindset wasn't that of a feart wee lassie, as it was the last time we played them.

blackpoolhibs
27-09-2019, 01:25 PM
Today shows you just how much expectations have dropped, we've gone from a support who thought we had a decent chance of beating anyone at home including the champions, to one who hardly expect us to win against anyone.

Told you to enjoy the good time when they were there. :rolleyes:

RossScott1991
27-09-2019, 02:18 PM
Going to it, but fully expect Celtic to win without really coming out of second gear. If it’s more than 2.0 by 70mins I will be nipping to the car to get home in time for soccer Saturday.

TrinityHibs
27-09-2019, 02:58 PM

Rocky

Whittaker
Ambrose
Porteous
Stevenson

Slivka
Mallan
Horgan
Hyndman

Shaw
Flo

My memory is going. I don't remember Hyndman playing for us but it looks like he played in 19 games. That's worrying

Here’s Lucy!
27-09-2019, 03:05 PM
Going to it, but fully expect Celtic to win without really coming out of second gear. If it’s more than 2.0 by 70mins I will be nipping to the car to get home in time for soccer Saturday.

Sadly, I expect you to be in your car early then. As stated on another thread earlier this week, I reckon we will be beaten by at least 4 or 5 goals.

No team in the country can live with Celtic when they are on their game.

Here’s Lucy!
27-09-2019, 03:08 PM
What kind of hat?

It’s a green felt Fedora with a teardrop crown.

Percy Vere
27-09-2019, 03:17 PM
That's it for me. You'll definitely lose sitting off them and giving them time on the ball in the midfield in the hope of simply jamming up the penalty box with sheer numbers of last ditch defenders.

If we are in their faces, standing on their toes from the first whistle to last, and have an actual go, who knows? Probably we'll get beat, but at least the fans will know the team and management's mindset wasn't that of a feart wee lassie, as it was the last time we played them.

Or a feart wee laddie for that matter!

calumhibee1
27-09-2019, 05:22 PM
My memory is going. I don't remember Hyndman playing for us but it looks like he played in 19 games. That's worrying

You didn’t miss anything at all. He was garbage.

chrisski33
27-09-2019, 05:46 PM
Yogi seems to think we will get something out of the game tomorrow 🤔

Franck Stanton
27-09-2019, 06:30 PM

Nope, will be at the game, as have been for past 61years. Read my post young man, digest it. I am not advocating a boycott, but said IF all the supporters on here who have said that they aren't going back do as they said they were, it wouldn't many more for it to look like a boycott.

H18S NX
27-09-2019, 06:41 PM
Nope, will be at the game, as have been for past 61years. Read my post young man, digest it. I am not advocating a boycott, but said IF all the supporters on here who have said that they aren't going back do as they said they were, it wouldn't many more for it to look like a boycott.....61 years and your only 59:not worth

Franck Stanton
28-09-2019, 08:46 AM
....61 years and your only 59:not worth

Wish I as 59, instead of 66. Computer is wrong ( unfortunately).

mutley
28-09-2019, 08:54 AM
It’s a green felt Fedora with a teardrop crown.

Well I have a feeling it won’t be less that 4 , but if it is, I hope you film the hat eating for us to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nicho87
28-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Sad state of affairs most are thinking damage limitation already.

Gone are the days (last season) where we would be confident of at least drawing with this lot. Anyone saying dead rubber needs to realise we should at least be taking the game to Celtic to give ourselves a chance. Under no circumstances should today’s performance be swept under the radar because it’s Celtic. I expect a win in any home game.

Hecky out

Since90+2
28-09-2019, 09:14 AM
Sad state of affairs most are thinking damage limitation already.

Gone are the days (last season) where we would be confident of at least drawing with this lot. Anyone saying dead rubber needs to realise we should at least be taking the game to Celtic to give ourselves a chance. Under no circumstances should today’s performance be swept under the radar because it’s Celtic. I expect a win in any home game.

Hecky out

Why would you expect us to beat Celtic at home? They are absolutely miles ahead of us. Fair enough we can have a go and hopefully make things difficult for them but I don't see how you can possibly expect us to beat a team that have won 9 domestic trophies in a row.

B.H.F.C
28-09-2019, 09:17 AM
Why would you expect us to beat Celtic at home? They are absolutely miles ahead of us. Fair enough we can have a go and hopefully make things difficult for them but I don't see how you can possibly expect us to beat a team that have won 9 domestic trophies in a row.

Don’t expect us to beat them at home now.

I would have this time last year because I knew we’d take the game to them. They haven’t beat us at ER, in the league, since we came back up. That’ll change today.

Since452
28-09-2019, 09:22 AM
Damage limitation today i reckon. For once I'd be happy to see us park the bus and see what happens

Man Down Under
28-09-2019, 09:39 AM
I used to enjoy the Celtic games as I reckon we must have had the best record against them in the previous 2 seasons.

Not so much today. I'll still be enjoying a beer and watching on HibsTV though.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

Coco Bryce
28-09-2019, 09:41 AM
We are total underdogs today. All depends what Celtic team turn up.

I think we might just have a right go at them today :flag:

Coco Bryce
28-09-2019, 01:39 PM
We are total underdogs today. All depends what Celtic team turn up.

I think we might just have a right go at them today :flag:

😁

mutley
28-09-2019, 01:49 PM

So, erm so would you like chips with your hat??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Percy Vere
28-09-2019, 01:50 PM

You’ll be enjoying your hat then?

Percy Vere
28-09-2019, 01:53 PM
😁

I think we set up right mate. Celtic been scoring for fun. Solid committed performance. Bit lacking up top but that was always going to be a tough ask. I reckon we are settling down, hopefully start seeing more bite up front in the coming weeks. Well done Hibs and PH.

Iggy Pope
28-09-2019, 02:03 PM
You’ll be enjoying your hat then?

I get the feeling that Lucys mooth will take the hat in a oner.

Coco Bryce
28-09-2019, 02:04 PM
I think we set up right mate. Celtic been scoring for fun. Solid committed performance. Bit lacking up top but that was always going to be a tough ask. I reckon we are settling down, hopefully start seeing more bite up front in the coming weeks. Well done Hibs and PH.

👍

Keith_M
28-09-2019, 03:14 PM
Soooooo, Hat and Chips for dinner, Lucy?

:greengrin