PDA

View Full Version : Question Sport in New York

dangermouse
19-09-2019, 06:00 PM
I'm heading to NYC on 21st of October for a week. Any New York resident Hibees offer suggestions of a sporting event I could attend. Ice Hockey has been suggested but suporting a team called rangers gives me the dry boak!

WeeRussell
19-09-2019, 06:23 PM
You could always support whoever they’re playing haha. New Jersey devils aren’t a million miles away.

Jets appear to have the Patriots at home in NFL depending on what time you get there on 21st.

Basketball season starts that week too I believe.

Plenty of sport to be had in NYC. Have a look at what you fancy and maybe look into tickets in advance. I was there earlier this year and it’s an incredible city.

Frazerbob
19-09-2019, 06:25 PM
Been to hockey at the Barclays Centre (NY Islanders) and both NY Mets & Yankees baseball. Great time at all. Loads of sports and teams in and around NYC, New Jersey etc so you should have plenty options. Definitely worth the effort. Tickets can be expensive (as are beers) but Baseball has the best value options.

wallpaperman
19-09-2019, 08:10 PM
You are arriving just in time for the World Series which is a best of 7 between the National League and American League Champions.

Very unlikely the Mets will make the playoffs, the Yankees are in the playoffs guaranteed but have to negotiate 2 rounds of play offs to get to the WS.

The Yankees have been one of the 3 best teams this year despite amazing amount of injuries, but i think the injuries are catching up a bit with them, and I don’t think they will make it as the Houston Astros are really strong.

DH1875
19-09-2019, 08:44 PM
If the Yankees make the world series, that would be my choice. That said they might not be at home first even if they do make it. Would still find myself a sports bar to watch it. Imagine tickets will be pricey though. Jets pretty much suck just now but playing against the Patsies its a rivalry game so should be a good atmosphere until the Patsies start to run away with it. Again though, tickets will be pretty expensive. Haven't looked at the schedules so no idea when NBA starts and who's playing at home but you do have the Knicks and the Nets. Nets tickets are usually cheaper and they do play in Brooklyn so probably require a subway ride while the Knicks play at the iconic MSG. Hockey wise, you don't need to support NYR, support the other team or check out the Islanders schedule. Also, consider jumping over to New Jersey for a Devils game. It's easy enough to do and again, tickets are a lot cheaper than for NYR games.Check out Stubhub for tickets for them all. We use them when getting tickets and never had a problem. Think you can actually just do a search for New York for your dates rather than have to go through each individual team.

Renfrew_Hibby
19-09-2019, 09:02 PM
If I were a New Yorker my teams would be the Jets, Mets, Islanders and the Nets...
Trouble is the Giants, Yankees, Rangers and the Knicks are all superior.

Thank God I'm not a New Yorker!

number9dream
19-09-2019, 09:09 PM
If I were a New Yorker my teams would be the Jets, Mets, Islanders and the Nets...
Trouble is the Giants, Yankees, Rangers and the Knicks are all superior.

Thank God I'm not a New Yorker!

I’m with you on all of those choices but just about everyone is better than the Knicks these days.
Saw the Nets in February. Really good night at the Barclays Centre, although the beer prices were eye-watering.

wallpaperman
19-09-2019, 09:10 PM
There’s no chance you would get World Series tickets unless you were prepared to pay hundreds of dollars each on the secondary market, but the atmosphere in the bars of NY would be great of an evening.

Haymaker
20-09-2019, 02:56 AM
There’s no chance you would get World Series tickets unless you were prepared to pay hundreds of dollars each on the secondary market, but the atmosphere in the bars of NY would be great of an evening.

Thousands of dollars.

Haymaker
20-09-2019, 02:59 AM
I'm heading to NYC on 21st of October for a week. Any New York resident Hibees offer suggestions of a sporting event I could attend. Ice Hockey has been suggested but suporting a team called rangers gives me the dry boak!

The Devil's are only a brief trip into the best state.

Basketball starts October 22nd. So you might catch a game at either MSG or Brooklyn centre.

Cabbie1875
20-09-2019, 05:39 AM
Sod all that, get yersel to the Hibernia bar up on west 50th street and watch the Derby

calumhibee1
20-09-2019, 05:47 AM
Sod all that, get yersel to the Hibernia bar up on west 50th street and watch the Derby

:agree:

Good few Hibs items on show.

Haymaker
20-09-2019, 01:23 PM
:agree:

Good few Hibs items on show.

There is indeed :agree:

southsider
20-09-2019, 01:36 PM
It's in Hell's Kitchen. Good boozer. Leave some Hibs stuff if your a mind.

WeeRussell
20-09-2019, 03:59 PM
It's in Hell's Kitchen. Good boozer. Leave some Hibs stuff if your a mind.

Man I miss that place :agree: