PDA

View Full Version : Tony Mowbray

Carheenlea
19-09-2019, 09:06 AM
This cropped up on my social media this morning - what a great team this was to watch. Used to look forward all week for the next game to come around. He didn’t enjoy a great derby record, but watching that team was more often than not a joy.

https://www.facebook.com/HibernianFootballClubOfficial/videos/805187406246989?sfns=mo

BILLYHIBS
19-09-2019, 09:15 AM
Yip remember the team used to run out to John Peels all time fav record Teenage Kicks by The Undertones

On their day a brilliant team to watch The Golden Generation led by a very good young up and coming Manager Tony Mowbray

Tyler Durden
19-09-2019, 09:18 AM
Derby record wasn’t bad in terms of wins but the defeats tended to be heavier.

First season we had 2 draws at home - both of which we should’ve won, a familiar story. But did also have that great win at Tynie and a 2-1 defeat.

Second season took 2 thumpings at Tynecastle but won both home games 2-0 and 2-1. Obviously also hammered in the SC semi but we know circumstances didn’t help there. Also this was peak financial doping time for the Yams

Barman Stanton
19-09-2019, 09:28 AM
He possibly got lucky with inheriting a youth team of good players covering the whole pitch. But his transfers to finish the team were excellent. The likes of Murphy, Jones, Benji, Hogg etc. Up there with Stubbs as my favourite Hibs managers.

The_Horde
19-09-2019, 09:29 AM
He possibly got lucky with inheriting a youth team of good players covering the whole pitch. But his transfers to finish the team were excellent. The likes of Murphy, Jones, Benji, Hogg etc. Up there with Stubbs as my favourite Hibs managers.

There was nothing lucky about it.

Barman Stanton
19-09-2019, 09:31 AM

Eh? How was it not lucky him inheriting that team? Did he have anything to do with their development? You have completely lost me with this one.

calumhibee1
19-09-2019, 09:34 AM

Not sure I agree with that. He deserves all the credit in the world, we were a great side. But he inherited 5 or 6 players in Whittaker, Brown, Thomson, Riordan, O’Connor and Fletcher who would have been well out our price range had they not came through our youth set up. So in that regard, he was a bit lucky.

He did of course compliment them with some outstanding signings.. Boozy, Murphy and Sproule being the real standouts in that regard.

CloudSquall
From what I remember we could look like championship contenders one week vs Celtic and Rangers and then get gubbed by the likes of St Mirren the next.

FilipinoHibs
A friend of mine who works in sports promotion told me that when he met Tony just after his appointment he had to go back to basics with the players. For example get them passing again to each other.

Barman Stanton
19-09-2019, 09:36 AM
Not sure I agree with that. He deserves all the credit in the world, we were a great side. But he inherited 5 or 6 players in Whittaker, Brown, Thomson, Riordan, O’Connor and Fletcher who would have been well out our price range had they not came through our youth set up. So in that regard, he was a bit lucky.

He did of course compliment them with some outstanding signings.. Boozy, Murphy and Sproule being the real standouts in that regard.

I'm eagerly waiting on him telling us what role Mowbray had in their development.

MikeyS
19-09-2019, 09:42 AM
I'm eagerly waiting on him telling us what role Mowbray had in their development.

Do you mean like giving them a platform & belief to become better players? Like that kind of development or a different kind?

From what I can remember, none of these guys where playing the same way under Blobby. Mowbray was definitely lucky to arrive at the same time as them all but he certainly helped their development in to the players they all later became.

MWHIBBIES
19-09-2019, 09:50 AM

An absolute massive one? Playing them every week, believing in them, improving them?

Barman Stanton
Do you mean like giving them a platform & belief to become better players? Like that kind of development or a different kind?

From what I can remember, none of these guys where playing the same way under Blobby. Mowbray was definitely lucky to arrive at the same time as them all but he certainly helped their development in to the players they all later became.

For me the Golden Generation were mostly naturally gifted players. We had forwards like Riordan O'Connor and Fletcher. Midfielders like Brown and Thomson. These were always going to be good players. Plus they had played a lot of games under Williamson. Even had the experience of a Cup Final.

So yeah I think Mowbray was lucky to inherit them. He filled all the gaps brilliantly (apart from a decent keeper) and turned us into a very good team.

Anthony Soprano
Yip remember the team used to run out to John Peels all time fav record Teenage Kicks by The Undertones

On their day a brilliant team to watch The Golden Generation led by a very good young up and coming Manager Tony Mowbray

Teenage kicks brings back memories should start playing that again, deeks and garry with their blonde streaks and golden boots, better times

Barman Stanton
19-09-2019, 09:53 AM
An absolute massive one? Playing them every week, believing in them, improving them?

I totally agree with that. My point is that they were already good players before he took us over. They already had their grounding of playing lots of senior games. Mowbray made them better but I still think he was lucky to have them there.

Damn, absolutely everything is jumped upon on this forum at the moment :faf:

Speedway
19-09-2019, 10:11 AM
Hibs.netters were very much pro-Tony as I recall, revering him to hero like status based on what they saw on the park and his righteous rhetoric about upward spirals and winning more than you lose etc.

We took issue with him only twice IIRC over our 'comedy defending' (scapegoat of choice: Chris Hogg) and our inability to sign a keeper.

We disliked RP for failing to keep Craig Rocastle but overall, planet .net was a positive place to be in that era.

Smartie
19-09-2019, 10:14 AM
I remember speaking to Kevin Nicol about him a few months after he was appointed, he loved him and said the players did too.

He liked the way he spoke to the players, he said that the training was top notch and they enjoyed the tactics he played in games.

It's normally a good sign when players are that enthusiastic about a gaffer and tbh the players all appeared to be happy and enjoying themselves at that time.

Barman Stanton
19-09-2019, 10:15 AM
Hibs.netters were very much pro-Tony as I recall, revering him to hero like status based on what they saw on the park and his righteous rhetoric about upward spirals and winning more than you lose etc.

We took issue with him only twice IIRC over our 'comedy defending' (scapegoat of choice: Chris Hogg) and our inability to sign a keeper.

We disliked RP for failing to keep Craig Rocastle but overall, planet .net was a positive place to be in that era.

Yeah even when we lost we normally had a go. Was a great time supporting the club. If only we could have signed a keeper and kept them all together for a bit longer.

ScottB
19-09-2019, 10:15 AM

Other than his picking then extending the contract of Zubi...

The 90+2
19-09-2019, 10:18 AM
Mowbray made every single one of the players we brought through a lot lot better. Each one says exactly the same. Then there was the likes of Boozy, Murphy, Jones, Benji, Zemmama and Killen all came in and done brilliantly.

Barman Stanton
19-09-2019, 10:19 AM
Other than his picking then extending the contract of Zubi...

Aye finding a half decent keeper seemed to be his achilles heel.

MikeyS
19-09-2019, 10:35 AM
Aye finding a half decent keeper seemed to be his achilles heel.

Allan McGregor was almost a done deal, had spoken with Mowbray & was keen to come on loan but then Zibi was taken on trial & TM preferred the long term option to get a settled keeper. Other than the GK situation, not much to criticise him on really.

Barman Stanton
19-09-2019, 10:38 AM
Allan McGregor was almost a done deal, had spoken with Mowbray & was keen to come on loan but then Zibi was taken on trial & TM preferred the long term option to get a settled keeper. Other than the GK situation, not much to criticise him on really.

Something we never really managed to fix for years. Even won a Cup with Andy McNeil in goals. That guy must have been the shortest keeper we have had.

Speedway
19-09-2019, 10:41 AM
Something we never really managed to fix for years. Even won a Cup with Andy McNeil in goals. That guy must have been the shortest keeper we have had.

He also made one of the best, if not THE best save I've ever seen in person v. Falkirk after he came on as a sub for Makalamby who was a bit cold and didn't feel like playing.

Since452
19-09-2019, 10:41 AM

Must have been around the time McGregor went to Dunfermline on loan. Was outstanding for them.

MikeyS
19-09-2019, 10:42 AM

It'll be either him or Goram I would have thought.

MikeyS
19-09-2019, 10:45 AM
Must have been around the time McGregor went to Dunfermline on loan. Was outstanding for them.

Went to St Johnstone instead of us mate, Dunfermline was the following year I think. He played for the Huns in between those spells and did well but McLeish signed Watterues that summer.
Actually just checked and I think you were right, it was Dunfermline he went to that summer we took Zibi. Watterus was the reason though, McLeish chose him as 2nd choice behind Klos.

Barman Stanton
19-09-2019, 10:47 AM
It'll be either him or Goram I would have thought.

Just checked and they are pretty much the same height. Just shows you, size isnt everything....:greengrin

MikeyS
19-09-2019, 10:50 AM
Just checked and they are pretty much the same height. Just shows you, size isnt everything....:greengrin

I'm forever telling the missus that!

Centre Hawf
19-09-2019, 10:52 AM
For me the Golden Generation were mostly naturally gifted players. We had forwards like Riordan O'Connor and Fletcher. Midfielders like Brown and Thomson. These were always going to be good players. Plus they had played a lot of games under Williamson. Even had the experience of a Cup Final.

So yeah I think Mowbray was lucky to inherit them. He filled all the gaps brilliantly (apart from a decent keeper) and turned us into a very good team.

As much as I do agree with you the two in bold benefitted the most probably from Tony, O'Connor was a decently average bottom 6 centre forward who turned into a great player capable of going as far as he wanted under Mowbray. Not sure what it was but he seemed to get the best out of him.

Brown was suffering a bit from playing in multiple positions, centre forward, winger, 10, centre mid. Before finally getting a nailed on role in midfield that could have only helped him be the player we've seen in the last 12 years.

Mowbray was lucky to inherit a crop with talent, but the golden generation were lucky to get a manager that believed in youth and knew how to play to their strengths.

FilipinoHibs
19-09-2019, 11:02 AM

I think we are in an era of super tall goalies. Goram slightly small in his day. Now very small for a goalie. MCneil made a great save in LC final off a Naismith header at 0-0.

Ronnie Simpson only 5 foot 10.

Barman Stanton
19-09-2019, 11:23 AM
As much as I do agree with you the two in bold benefitted the most probably from Tony, O'Connor was a decently average bottom 6 centre forward who turned into a great player capable of going as far as he wanted under Mowbray. Not sure what it was but he seemed to get the best out of him.

Brown was suffering a bit from playing in multiple positions, centre forward, winger, 10, centre mid. Before finally getting a nailed on role in midfield that could have only helped him be the player we've seen in the last 12 years.

Mowbray was lucky to inherit a crop with talent, but the golden generation were lucky to get a manager that believed in youth and knew how to play to their strengths.

Hey I totally agree he made them better players. All I said was that he was lucky to inherit a bunch of good young players. I followed it up by saying he also built a great team and he is one of my favorite managers. Iv honestly no idea why anyone would take exception to that. This place is absolutely bonkers at times :agree:

hibsforeurope
19-09-2019, 11:40 AM
I remember walking away from that 1st league game and being so excited for what was to follow, despite getting beat off Kilmarnock. The brand of football was a joy to watch, night and day from what we had come from the season before.

SMAXXA
19-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Hey I totally agree he made them better players. All I said was that he was lucky to inherit a bunch of good young players. I followed it up by saying he also built a great team and he is one of my favorite managers. Iv honestly no idea why anyone would take exception to that. This place is absolutely bonkers at times :agree:

FWIW I think you are correct

blackpoolhibs
19-09-2019, 11:47 AM
I think we are in an era of super tall goalies. Goram slightly small in his day. Now very small for a goalie. MCneil made a great save in LC final off a Naismith header at 0-0.

Ronnie Simpson only 5 foot 10.

Things really do get much better the longer things pass, it was an easy save which he pushed over the bar and collided a little with the post, FFS if he'd let that in he'd have rightly been slaughtered and the goal classed as a zibi.

The_Horde
19-09-2019, 11:52 AM

Do you think development stops as soon as you reach the first team?

In terms of inheriting them maybe he was lucky, although I'm pretty sure they're also lucky that he was put in charge - otherwise they might have wound up being swapped for Bobby Mann or totally wasted under a rubbish coach.

Mowbray was appointed because of the talent coming through, he didn't just turn up and find them in a lucky bag.

Barman Stanton
19-09-2019, 12:04 PM
Do you think development stops as soon as you reach the first team?

In terms of inheriting them maybe he was lucky, although I'm pretty sure they're also lucky that he was put in charge - otherwise they might have wound up being swapped for Bobby Mann or totally wasted under a rubbish coach.

Mowbray was appointed because of the talent coming through, he didn't just turn up and find them in a lucky bag.

Well thats all I said, that he was lucky these players were at the club. To which you said it was nothing to do with luck. Talk about looking for an argument! He was one of my favourite Hibs managers, it wasn't even an insult.

The_Horde
19-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Well thats all I said, that he was lucky these players were at the club. To which you said it was nothing to do with luck. Talk about looking for an argument! He was one of my favourite Hibs managers, it wasn't even an insult.

I've just described what I meant above. Not looking for an argument at all.

There's little luck involved in appointing someone intentionally to guide the young talent we have.

Mowbray was hired for a purpose. It simply isn't a case that any manager would've got the same out of those guys.

Barman Stanton
19-09-2019, 12:38 PM

There's little luck involved in appointing someone intentionally to guide the young talent we have.

Mowbray was hired for a purpose. It simply isn't a case that any manager would've got the same out of those guys.

No, I have already said he made them better players. But they were all good players anyway, who had already played a lot of first team football.

Mowbray was a punt. The guy had never managed before, he was only a first team coach. I think you are giving Petrie etc way too much credit if you think this was some masterplan for Mowbray in particular to come in and develop our young players.

Diclonius
19-09-2019, 12:41 PM
Mowbray's derby record wasn't as bad as made out. He won 3, drew 2 and lost 4. The big sticking point is the goals tally: 11 scored and 19 conceded (three heavy defeats), which taint the record somewhat. There's also that semi final.

SMAXXA
19-09-2019, 01:56 PM

He was lucky he came Into a job with those players coming through baffled how you can’t see that not like it’s a big deal or diluting his period as our manager.

The_Horde
19-09-2019, 02:16 PM
He was lucky he came Into a job with those players coming through baffled how you can’t see that not like it’s a big deal or diluting his period as our manager.

Or you could look at it like Hibs knew the talent was coming through and headhunted him in particular to get the best out of them.

Ergo, not lucky. There by design.

Iggy Pope
19-09-2019, 02:30 PM
From what I remember we could look like championship contenders one week vs Celtic and Rangers and then get gubbed by the likes of St Mirren the next.

I remember a midweek tanking up at Inverness that illustrates this point well. Although we had big scoring away wins at places like Falkirk, Motherwell, Dens and Tannadice.

SMAXXA
19-09-2019, 03:14 PM
Or you could look at it like Hibs knew the talent was coming through and headhunted him in particular to get the best out of them.

Ergo, not lucky. There by design.

And how does that stop him being lucky to have a job with such players coming through opposed to taking the job as he came with a good rep working with youngsters without the golden generation? So no I don’t think you can look at it like that to be honest.

The_Horde
19-09-2019, 03:18 PM
And how does that stop him being lucky to have a job with such players coming through opposed to taking the job as he came with a good rep working with youngsters without the golden generation? So no I don’t think you can look at it like that to be honest.

Each to their own I suppose, you could say every worker in the country is lucky to have their job but it doesn't tell the full story really.

Aldoo
19-09-2019, 03:18 PM

If my memory serves me right, Mowbrays first league game was a 1 nil defeat at home to Kilmarnock yet the team were applauded off the park as we could see that team had given 100%, did everything but score and we sensed we might be onto something good. Can you imagine how a similar result against Killie would go down now ......

Barman Stanton
19-09-2019, 03:20 PM

Did he even have a reputation for working with youngsters? As far as I'm aware his only manager experience was as First Team coach at Ipswich. Iv also just read the interview when he signed and he didnt even mention youngsters. I think its more likely the Horde is just talking nonsense.

The_Horde
19-09-2019, 03:53 PM
Did he even have a reputation for working with youngsters? As far as I'm aware his only manager experience was as First Team coach at Ipswich. Iv also just read the interview when he signed and he didnt even mention youngsters. I think its more likely the Horde is just talking nonsense.

My opinion is nonsense because you don't like it?

Are you still firmly pro Hecky by any chance? I was talking nonsense when I had doubts about him away back in March as well..

He maybe didn't say it in his interview, but maybe he's the kind of guy who does his talking on the pitch.. or is that too farfetched?

The Baldmans Comb
21-09-2019, 08:06 AM
He also made one of the best, if not THE best save I've ever seen in person v. Falkirk after he came on as a sub for Makalamby who was a bit cold and didn't feel like playing.

I would agree totally with that.

An acrobatic tip over the bar from a point blank header which seemed to defy the laws of physics.

It was one of these intake of breath moments that you forever remember.

Cataplana
21-09-2019, 08:18 AM
Eh? How was it not lucky him inheriting that team? Did he have anything to do with their development? You have completely lost me with this one.

I suspect the players available were what attracted him to the job. He chose to come to Hibs, nobody made him.

Speedway
21-09-2019, 08:20 AM
I would agree totally with that.

An acrobatic tip over the bar from a point blank header which seemed to defy the laws of physics.

It was one of these intake of breath moments that you forever remember.

Funny you say that, because that’s exactly what I did when it happened.

An involuntary reaction. That’s how good and unexpected the save was.

Pretty Boy
21-09-2019, 08:43 AM
Funny you say that, because that’s exactly what I did when it happened.

An involuntary reaction. That’s how good and unexpected the save was.

That was an unbelievable save. The way he adjusted his feet to get up to it was absolutely top class.

Another save that always sticks in my mind was by Simon Brown in the 0-3 cup game at Ibrox. Bob Malcolm hit an absolute peach of a shot from just outside the box that was headed straight for the top corner. Brown shifted his not inconsiderable weight from one foot to the other and at full length got a strong hand to it to touch it onto the bar. Had that went in it was a different game altogether.

silverhibee
21-09-2019, 12:30 PM
I remember speaking to Kevin Nicol about him a few months after he was appointed, he loved him and said the players did too.

He liked the way he spoke to the players, he said that the training was top notch and they enjoyed the tactics he played in games.

It's normally a good sign when players are that enthusiastic about a gaffer and tbh the players all appeared to be happy and enjoying themselves at that time.

Venus was a good go between with the players and Mowbray, a really good bond between all of them.

21-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Mowbray was a good manager but also fortunate in the sense he came in just as the Golden Generation were breaking through.

The football was absolutely amazing to watch.