PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Jimmy O'Rourke

Forza Fred
18-09-2019, 09:49 AM
73 today.

Jimmy would run through a brick wall for the Hibs.

How we could do with someone of his ilk today.

SON OF PADDY
18-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Happy Hibby Birthday Sir 🥃
Jimmy,Jimmy O'Rourke everyone knows his name..

Norrieg
18-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Happy birthday Jimmy. You gave me some great memories. I wish we had someone like you now.:not worth:not worth:not worth:flag:

mim
18-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Happy birthday, Corkie :not worth

Eaststand
18-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Happy birthday to a great Hibby and a true legend

GGTTH

MWHIBBIES
18-09-2019, 11:24 AM
We do have someone like him now, Kamberi

Goals per game
O'Rourke - 0.375
Kamberi - 0.4

surreyhibbie
18-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Happy Birthday Jimmy :thumbsup:

one of the greats.

Norrieg
18-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Goals per game
O'Rourke - 0.375
Kamberi - 0.4

In 1st 63 games Jimmy scored 53 goals
Kamberi - 66 games and scored 27 goals.
No comparison !!! Couldn't lace the wee man's boots.:not worth:not worth:not worth

cabbageandribs1875
18-09-2019, 12:00 PM
jimmy
jimmy o'rourke

73 is also when a massacre took place in scottish football, january 1973 that is

happy birthday Jimmy

JohnMcM
18-09-2019, 12:09 PM
Happy Birthday Jimmy. Thanks for the memories.
:flag:

BILLYHIBS
18-09-2019, 12:11 PM

Goals per game
O'Rourke - 0.375
Kamberi - 0.4

:faf:

Oh dear!

Wee Corky

10 x hatricks for HIBS

Did you see Jimmy ORourke play?
(Serious question)

Wee Jimmy didnae hobble aboot the park like a big Jessie he made things happen

No comparison

Dearie me!

MWHIBBIES
18-09-2019, 12:15 PM
In 1st 63 games Jimmy scored 53 goals
Kamberi - 66 games and scored 27 goals.
No comparison !!! Couldn't lace the wee man's boots.:not worth:not worth:not worth

Definitely not the case. He scored 54 goals in his first 209 games for Hibs.

He had 2 great seasons after that.

MWHIBBIES
18-09-2019, 12:17 PM
:faf:

Oh dear!

Wee Corky

10 x hatricks for HIBS

Did you see Jimmy ORourke play?
(Serious question)

Wee Jimmy didnae hobble aboot the park like a big Jessie he made things happen

No comparison

Dearie me!

I didn't see him play no. His goal scoring record aside from his last 2 seasons at Hibs was nothing special though. Maybe he done more than that for the team, I don't know.

Sammy7nil
18-09-2019, 12:20 PM

I cant argue as I don't know the facts however when JO' knocks in his first in the 7-0 game the commentator says that is his 21st goal of the season on 1/1/1973

Biggie
18-09-2019, 12:22 PM
I didn't see him play no. His goal scoring record aside from his last 2 seasons at Hibs was nothing special though. Maybe he done more than that for the team, I don't know.

He was a hell of a player mate....Jimmy O'Rourke, scored the winner in the league cup final, scored in the 0-7 game, scored European hat-tricks. Him and Alan Gordon up front was a joy to watch.

BILLYHIBS
18-09-2019, 12:31 PM

Nothing special?

You are definitely at it or you have lost your marbles

Last two “ nothing special” seasons:

1972/73 played 47 scored 34
1973/74 played 28 scored 19

Totals for both :

Jimmy ORourke played 325 scored 122. 37.5%

Flo Kamberi played 66 scored 27 41%

snedzuk
18-09-2019, 12:39 PM
If florian kamberi was anything like Jimmy o Rourke we'd be nearer the top of the league and probably not calling for hecks head. Comparing them is like comparing me - fat balding 60+ - with a Greek God.

BILLYHIBS
18-09-2019, 12:52 PM

:confused:

Sorry misread your post

PRIOR to his incredibly successful last two seasons Jimmy ORourke played 250 scored 69 still decent

As others have said it is an unfair comparison because Wee Jimmy was light years ahead of Flo

It is like comparing me with Joe Harper well I suppose we are both the same shape :greengrin

You will just have to trust us oldies

Tom Hart RIP
18-09-2019, 01:02 PM
In 52 years watching Scottish football I can't think of a better front two than Jimmy and Alan G.
For a spell in 1972 they were unplayable.
I like Flo but not in the same league as Jimmy.

J-C
18-09-2019, 01:45 PM
My all time favourite Hibs player, got to know him pretty well over the years and Hibs through and through. Happy birthday Corkie.

MWHIBBIES
18-09-2019, 02:08 PM
:confused:

Sorry misread your post

PRIOR to his incredibly successful last two seasons Jimmy ORourke played 250 scored 69 still decent

As others have said it is an unfair comparison because Wee Jimmy was light years ahead of Flo

It is like comparing me with Joe Harper well I suppose we are both the same shape :greengrin

You will just have to trust us oldiesWhat was he lightyears better than Flo at? Genuinely asking. It wasn't goalscoring.

He was a hell of a player mate....Jimmy O'Rourke, scored the winner in the league cup final, scored in the 0-7 game, scored European hat-tricks. Him and Alan Gordon up front was a joy to watch.

I don't doubt it, his record was very impressive when surrounded by the other great players in the tornadoes. As I've said, it was nothing special before then. About 8 goals a season.

J-C
18-09-2019, 02:14 PM
Jimmy played inside right(8) and was as strong as an ox. He wasn't an out and out striker but part of the 2 up top, his all round play was miles ahead of Flo and many others before Flo.

Pretty Boy
18-09-2019, 02:22 PM
Well this thread has taken a typically depressing turn.

There was no need for the dig at the current team in the OP and no need for the petty squabble that developed afterwards.

MWHIBBIES
18-09-2019, 02:29 PM
Jimmy played inside right(8) and was as strong as an ox. He wasn't an out and out striker but part of the 2 up top, his all round play was miles ahead of Flo and many others before Flo.

Thats fair enough, cant argue if his all round play was that good.

Norrieg
18-09-2019, 02:31 PM

Sorry, my mistake. I was looking at the last two years. But still one of the best strikers I have seen, and as some one else pointed out he and Alan Gordon were deadly. I wish I could turn back the clock. Us oldies have a hard time watching what passes for football players nowadays. I think I'll go and have a wee lie down now.:flag::flag:

BILLYHIBS
18-09-2019, 02:48 PM
What was he lightyears better than Flo at? Genuinely asking. It wasn't goalscoring.

I don't doubt it, his record was very impressive when surrounded by the other great players in the tornadoes. As I've said, it was nothing special before then. About 8 goals a season.

Better than Flo at the following:

Taking the ball to feet without it bouncing a million miles off him, linking up play with others, taking the ball with his back to goal and still being able to turn, striking the ball with both feet, good in the air, being physical with opposition defenders without giving fouls away, not being petulant with officials and getting booked and sent off, not going in the huff, being able to beat a man, scoring the winning goal in a Cup Final, scoring ten hatricks, scoring twice against the Hearts at Tiny in ten minutes and last of all cut him he bleeds green

Many Happy Returns Corky

Moody Blues
18-09-2019, 03:00 PM
Better than Flo at the following:

Taking the ball to feet without it bouncing a million miles off him, linking up play with others, taking the ball with his back to goal and still being able to turn, striking the ball with both feet, good in the air, being physical with opposition defenders without giving fouls away, not being petulant with officials and getting booked and sent off, not going in the huff, being able to beat a man, scoring the winning goal in a Cup Final, scoring ten hatricks, scoring twice against the Hearts at Tiny in ten minutes and last of all cut him he bleeds green

Many Happy Returns Corky

A joy to watch. He was superb.

BILLYHIBS
18-09-2019, 03:01 PM
Sorry, my mistake. I was looking at the last two years. But still one of the best strikers I have seen, and as some one else pointed out he and Alan Gordon were deadly. I wish I could turn back the clock. Us oldies have a hard time watching what passes for football players nowadays. I think I'll go and have a wee lie down now.:flag::flag:

:aok:

Made the the same mistake

Apologised to the OP away back to my People’s Friend

sarfoftheborder
18-09-2019, 03:03 PM
Happy Birthday Jimmy.

brog
18-09-2019, 06:51 PM
Happy birthday to my pal Jimmy. To put things into perspective, when we scored our 7th goal at PBS on 1/1/73 that was our 111th competitive goal of the season. We had won 2 cups, beating both of the uglies in both. The Hawrts game was the 5th time that season we had scored 5 goals in a half. Jimmy scored consecutive hat tricks in Europe, I believe that was a record at the time & remained so for a good few years after. A great player in an outstanding team that us old guys were privileged to watch.

nomad
18-09-2019, 06:57 PM
Had the pleasure of sharing jimmys 65th birthday on holiday in Gran Canaries with jimmy and family. Big screen in restaurant managed to get the 0-7 game on. Everyone knows his name happy birthday .

ddoc
18-09-2019, 07:23 PM
Nothing special?

You are definitely at it or you have lost your marbles

Last two “ nothing special” seasons:

1972/73 played 47 scored 34
1973/74 played 28 scored 19

Totals for both :

Jimmy ORourke played 325 scored 122. 37.5%

Flo Kamberi played 66 scored 27 41%

A great player in a great team, best wishes on your birthday and hope you have many more.

Not sure how a thread wishing him happy birthday ends up comparing him against Flo Kamberi. If nothing else it made me laugh.

Forza Fred
18-09-2019, 09:33 PM
I’m not sure either how posting birthday wishes to Jimmy......as I do most years, if nobody else has beat me to it, suddenly turned into direct comparison with Flo, nor how I am criticised for having a dig at the current team.

Also wish we had players just now similar to Pat Stanton, Laurie Reilly and Joe Baker.

No doubt someone will be along soon to accuse me of being negative and criticising the current side, which I’m not, but hey, it says more about them than it does about me.....

Rock On.

BILLYHIBS
18-09-2019, 09:41 PM
I’m not sure either how posting birthday wishes to Jimmy......as I do most years, if nobody else has beat me to it, suddenly turned into direct comparison with Flo, nor how I am criticised for having a dig at the current team.

Also wish we had players just now similar to Pat Stanton, Laurie Reilly and Joe Baker.

No doubt someone will be along soon to accuse me of being negative and criticising the current side, which I’m not, but hey, it says more about them than it does about me.....

Rock On.

:top marks

Onion
19-09-2019, 12:51 AM
One of Hibs Greats. An honest player who scored goals for fun.

And a hero to a young Hibs fan :aok:

Since452
19-09-2019, 05:09 AM
Turnbull out

southsider
19-09-2019, 06:36 AM
Played in the Inter City Fairs Cup, which was renamed the UEFA cup aged 16.

Sammy7nil
19-09-2019, 07:27 AM
Turnbull out

:greengrin

DanishJohn
19-09-2019, 08:13 AM
Sometimes we look back towards the past and view events through Rose coloured spectacles.
Are we doing this with Jimmy?

Consider this.

He played and scored in a LC final against a Celtic team containing nine players who won the European Cup approx 24 months earlier.
He played again in a LC final and scored against a Celtic team who contested and lost their second European Cup approx 24 months earlier.

He was playing against and scoring against some of the best players in Europe.

No need to put on the specs,just consider the facts.

He was that good.

blackpoolhibs
19-09-2019, 08:20 AM
Sometimes we look back towards the past and view events through Rose coloured spectacles.
Are we doing this with Jimmy?

Consider this.

He played and scored in a LC final against a Celtic team containing nine players who won the European Cup approx 24 months earlier.
He played again in a LC final and scored against a Celtic team who contested and lost their second European Cup approx 24 months earlier.

He was playing against and scoring against some of the best players in Europe.

No need to put on the specs,just consider the facts.

He was that good.

:agree::top marks

Halmyre Hibee
19-09-2019, 08:32 AM
Happy Birthday Jimmy. Played in a great team managed by our best ever manager and a joy to watch in my teens. Jimmy & Alan Gordon what a pairing and scored loads of goals for fun against the best teams around. I feel so privileged to have witnessed Jimmy and his team mates under Turnbull. I know football has changed but these guys would be worth millions in today’s crazy money transfer fees.

Tomsk
19-09-2019, 08:54 PM
Still can't believe to this day that Turnbull sold him.

BILLYHIBS
19-09-2019, 09:12 PM
Still can't believe to this day that Turnbull sold him.

He actually scored against us in a 0-1 win for St Johnstone at Easter Road

A real Denis Law scoring against Man Utd moment

heretoday
20-09-2019, 07:01 PM
Jimmy O'Rourke 73? That's ridiculous.
I remember him at 18 bouncing up and down after scoring against Third Lanark.

Tomsk
20-09-2019, 07:12 PM
He actually scored against us in a 0-1 win for St Johnstone at Easter Road

A real Denis Law scoring against Man Utd moment

I was there. We had a great start to the season - won our first four games. Jimmy didn't seem overjoyed.

BILLYHIBS
20-09-2019, 07:35 PM
I was there. We had a great start to the season - won our first four games. Jimmy didn't seem overjoyed.

Yip! It was just like Denis Laws back heeled goal for Man City versus Man Utd that relegated them
Denis was distraught and had to be subbed

IIRC Jimmy just walked away and pulled his jersey up towards his face for a few seconds