PDA

View Full Version : Marvins take on players and the derby

Viva_Palmeiras
18-09-2019, 05:43 AM
Misleading headline it’s not what he said exactly “if...”

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibernian/marvin-bartley-says-hibs-signings-thought-it-would-be-a-walk-in-park-1-5006150 (https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibernian/marvin-bartley-says-hibs-signings-thought-it-would-be-a-walk-in-park-1-5006150)

CRAZYHIBBY
18-09-2019, 06:04 AM
Should never have let him go

DetroitHibs
18-09-2019, 06:06 AM
Here we all we’re thinking that we’d have an upgrade for Barts and Spike and both would walk in to the first team right now.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-09-2019, 06:12 AM
Here we all we’re thinking that we’d have an upgrade for Barts and Spike and both would walk in to the first team right now.

Indeedy - massive gamble that’s yet to come good.

Hibeesmad
18-09-2019, 06:14 AM
Marv is an experienced player who was a big part of the transformation of our club post relegation, being a good player as well as a big character around the dressing room. I would have him back in this team in a heartbeat, we could do with him in there due to the awful style of play being implemented by the manager which is leaving us constantly looking like conceding a goal every time the other team get the ball.

Bishop Hibee
18-09-2019, 06:26 AM
Only losing 1 in 10 derbies he played in is an impressive stat. As others have said, his character in the dressing room is missed too. It was a mistake to let him leave.

Todi114
18-09-2019, 06:26 AM
When we were in the championship and playing bottom 6 teams at home a holding midfielder isn’t necessary
i think the amount of possession we have confirms that
we need to make better use of our possession
marvin made that point on sportsound
we need players to be braver on the ball
stop passing back and square
toothless

JimBHibees
18-09-2019, 06:37 AM
Indeedy - massive gamble that’s yet to come good.

Yes very strange to have not replaced either Marv or Mark especially when commonly in interviews the manager has indicated that the SPL is a bit of a throwback in terms of the physicality allowed in games which coming from managing in the Championship in England was surprising though also possibly says more about refereeing standards in this country e.g more physical teams are let away with too much (Hearts / Aberdeen the most obvious examples). He is also now using the term 'soft' about the team which again is mystifying given he always plays Mallan and Allan in the same team and as above never replaced a physical midfielder like for like so he could have remedied this perceived softness. I could see the point if we had someone like Dylan (we clearly don't) who could control the tempo of a game from a deep midfield position. It is a very strange one to be honest and it seems like he was banking on Ojo without any back up. If he is thinking he will cover this in January I think he will be mistaken as don't think he will be in post then.

JimBHibees
18-09-2019, 06:39 AM
Should never have let him go

Assuming Marv wanted to go as he is now getting much more game time in the same league so a good move for him. Should never have let him go without a like for like replacement.

where'stheslope
19-09-2019, 08:09 PM
Assuming Marv wanted to go as he is now getting much more game time in the same league so a good move for him. Should never have let him go without a like for like replacement.
Obviously the manager felt we had cover, but in my mind he would most likely shore up our midfield and stop teams marauding through us!

Jim44
20-09-2019, 08:49 AM
I would rephrase his last point - ‘They have already crashed and we are a car-crash waiting to happen.’

Diclonius
20-09-2019, 08:57 AM
Is Bartley a regular pundit on Sportsound now? He seems to be pretty good at it.

lyonhibs
20-09-2019, 09:15 AM
I was at the last game of the season last year and it's true that Marvin had lost a yard from his not exactly electric pace by the end of his time here. Not for an instant did I think we'd let both him and Milligan go without a proper plan in place to replace them with at least 1 proper DM to take the ball off the back 4 and pass it on and also offer a bit of grit and protection in the centre.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat, especially with a Derby looming, such is the stinking mess in that exact position that Heckingbottom's "asleep at the wheel" blind spot has got us into.

JimBHibees
20-09-2019, 10:01 AM
I was at the last game of the season last year and it's true that Marvin had lost a yard from his not exactly electric pace by the end of his time here. Not for an instant did I think we'd let both him and Milligan go without a proper plan in place to replace them with at least 1 proper DM to take the ball off the back 4 and pass it on and also offer a bit of grit and protection in the centre.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat, esepcially with a Derby looming, such is the stinking mess in that exact position that Heckingbottom's "asleep at the wheel" blind spot has got us into.

Cant really disagree with that. Wonder if there is a possibility that someone has been lined up for January (say Dylan for example) and the thinking was to hope we could get through without one.

where'stheslope
20-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Cant really disagree with that. Wonder if there is a possibility that someone has been lined up for January (say Dylan for example) and the thinking was to hope we could get through without one.
Problem with that is, where will we be in the league by then?
At the moment it is far to easy to get through the middle of our team!
We must have an extra defender who could play a holding role in the middle of the park???

3pm
20-09-2019, 04:03 PM
He had a poor game when he came on as a sub v Celtic in the cup. The ‘finished’ chat stemmed from there.

Not in my book.

Once he had a nightmare 5-10 games on the spin then maybe it’s up for debate.

Hibeesforever
20-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Only losing 1 in 10 derbies he played in is an impressive stat. As others have said, his character in the dressing room is missed too. It was a mistake to let him leave.
If that is a true stat, then even more daming on the management for letting Marv go!

B.H.F.C
20-09-2019, 05:58 PM
He had a poor game when he came on as a sub v Celtic in the cup. The ‘finished’ chat stemmed from there.

Not in my book.

Once he had a nightmare 5-10 games on the spin then maybe it’s up for debate.

Was miles off it when he came on at Tynecastle as well. In fairness, he was only getting the odd appearance here and there so was difficult for him.

He’d not been a regular for most of the last two years though.

Based on what we have, I bloody wish we had him going in to Sunday but that more to do with the s**** we’ve signed.

franck sauzee
20-09-2019, 10:07 PM
Don't think letting Marv and Milligan leave is the issue. As much as Marv was great for the games against Hearts and you could never fault his commitment. He just wasn't good on the ball. Milligan was okay at best. The major issue and I just don't understand it was not bringing in a suitable replacement

BILLYHIBS
21-09-2019, 06:33 AM
FWIW I thought Big Marv was a lot better on the ball than many on here give him credit for especially in tight situations

He was good at breaking up play and giving it to the more creative players

In his last season he started a few games with his leg strapped and it reduced his mobility even further

When he left Keekback was having a party you can still read their thread on line if you dare

They thought he was a very good player and are delighted he is gone

The fact he is now playing regularly as an attacking right midfielder for Livvy he would walk right into our team on Sunday

I would play him as a DM not sure if Hecky would even start him?

Maybes one day we will see that elusive first goal in the SPFL

Legend!

:not worth

JimBHibees
21-09-2019, 06:42 AM
FWIW I thought Big Marv was a lot better on the ball than many on here give him credit for especially in tight situations

He was good at breaking up play and giving it to the more creative players

In his last season he started a few games with his leg strapped and it reduced his mobility even further

When he left Keekback was having a party you can still read their thread on line if you dare

They thought he was a very good player and are delighted he is gone

The fact he is now playing regularly as an attacking right midfielder for Livvy he would walk right into our team on Sunday

I would play him as a DM not sure if Hecky would even start him?

Maybes one day we will see that elusive first goal in the SPFL

Legend!

:not worth

Absolute cert his first goal will be against us.

CloudSquall
21-09-2019, 06:51 AM
If we had brought in a better replacement I would've been ok with his release even though I was a huge fan of his, however we replaced him with no one and are now paying the price as every team waltzes through us.

BILLYHIBS
21-09-2019, 06:58 AM
If we had brought in a better replacement I would've been ok with his release even though I was a huge fan of his, however we replaced him with no one and are now paying the price as every team waltzes through us.

:agree:

Soft as s##t!

After you!

No I insist after you!

:grr: