PDA

View Full Version : Sportsound

Since452
17-09-2019, 03:53 PM
Interesting to hear Derek Ferguson singing Hibs praises for first half display. Goes against the grain a bit. Sounds like Killies goal hit our confidence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07ncppk

RoxburghHibs
17-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Interesting to hear Derek Ferguson singing Hibs praises for first half display. Goes against the grain a bit. Sounds like Killies goal hit our confidence.

Your link didn't work - fixed it for you

Hiber-nation
17-09-2019, 04:14 PM

Heard that in the car after the game. Couldn't quite believe it.

The_Horde
17-09-2019, 04:21 PM

Not the first time this season I've heard something on the BBC that doesn't match up to what I've seen on the pitch.

We had a half decent control of things first half and that was about it.

flash
17-09-2019, 04:32 PM
We did play some decent stuff in the first half albeit toothless.

J-C
17-09-2019, 04:37 PM

I don't think there was any problem with the 1st half apart from being a bit toothless, it's just the fact we seem to collapse very easily when we go behind, need some balls and steeliness in the middle needed.

cookin_on_gaz
17-09-2019, 04:39 PM
Did Sportsound even send a commentator to the game? The commentary during the highlights was clearly done post match in a studio.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

SMAXXA
17-09-2019, 04:42 PM
Seems to be the case when we get beat folk don’t remember anything good just the result and the poor elements which is probably more a case of some had enough I guess.

bigwheel
17-09-2019, 04:42 PM
I felt Ferguson was spot on ...if we had got the first goal, I suspect we would have gone on and won the game ..

there was little wrong with our first half performance...

Tyler Durden
17-09-2019, 04:49 PM
We didn’t create any chances but apart from that it was great I suppose 👀

Hermit Crab
17-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Did Sportsound even send a commentator to the game? The commentary during the highlights was clearly done post match in a studio.

Open all mics. The commentary on the footage is always added afterwards, unless the game is live on tv.

cookin_on_gaz
17-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Open all mics. The commentary on the footage is always added afterwards, unless the game is live on tv.Thanks, I did not know that. It sounded terrible.

B.H.F.C
17-09-2019, 04:55 PM
I felt Ferguson was spot on ...if we had got the first goal, I suspect we would have gone on and won the game ..

That’s pushing it. We were pretty comfortable but we didn’t create anything. We didn’t really give ourselves a chance to get the first goal, a couple of shots from 25 yards aside.

bigwheel
17-09-2019, 05:00 PM
That’s pushing it. We were pretty comfortable but we didn’t create anything. We didn’t really give ourselves a chance to get the first goal, a couple of shots from 25 yards aside.

Didn’t create enough that’s true... But there couldn’t have been too many dissatisfied with our first half performance where we controlled the ball for most of it ...

Killie on the break always had a threat - and we wilted after we lost the first goal..but that was in line with what Ferguson said

The_Horde
17-09-2019, 05:11 PM
Didn’t create enough that’s true... But there couldn’t have been too many dissatisfied with our first half performance where we controlled the ball for most of it ...

Killie on the break always had a threat - and we wilted after we lost the first goal..but that was in line with what Ferguson said

Which is a total myth if you look at the possession stats.

B.H.F.C
17-09-2019, 05:16 PM

I wouldn’t say dissatisfied. But you kind of knew how it would go. We were talking at half time about how it was a game that was really there for the taking. We just don’t have anything about us to take advantage in that type of situation though.

I think it’s a sign of how poor we are that we’re talking about being good in the first half when Killie will probably feel that they were pretty comfortable themselves.

Hibeesforever
17-09-2019, 05:18 PM
We got pass marks in the first half but pointless, since we created nothing. The pundits seem to still maintain we have a good squad, we will find out over the next coming games...

My_Wife_Camille
17-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Derek Ferguson and those quoting Derek Ferguson are the only ones who seem to think we were in any way dominant. Anybody else who was at/watched the game seem to share the opinion that there was a slight, yet noticeable, improvement for the first 30 mins or so but we never caused them any real bother.

Once killie stepped it up a gear there was only going to be one winner

The 90+2
17-09-2019, 05:19 PM
We were well on top the first half but they were comfortable.

The 90+2
17-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Derek Ferguson and those quoting Derek Ferguson are the only ones who seem to think we were in any way dominant. Anybody else who was at/watched the game seem to share the opinion that there was a slight, yet noticeable, improvement for the first 30 mins or so but we never caused them any real bother.

Once killie stepped it up a gear there was only going to be one winner

The goal gave them that gear and us the fear. Same happened in Motherwell. We concede it’s a complete and utter shambles for some reason. Look how Morton scored their quick two and the goal we knew was coming against St Johnstone. I still think it’s massively down to no defensive midfielder taking pressure off the defence and two many luxury players not helping out.

bigwheel
17-09-2019, 05:21 PM
I wouldn’t say dissatisfied. But you kind of knew how it would go. We were talking at half time about how it was a game that was really there for the taking. We just don’t have anything about us to take advantage in that type of situation though.

I think it’s a sign of how poor we are that we’re talking about being good in the first half when Killie will probably feel that they were pretty comfortable themselves.

Killie were poor in the first half ...bet they got a real chasing at half time ...they were much brighter in the second half ...

Look, it is clear we have a lot of missing key ingredients just now - both in attack and in a soft defence ..so I’m not trying to rewrite Saturdays game

But at half time the tone in the stands was favourable - we had been the better team. And tbh were until we lost a poor goal ..that’s all that Ferguson said - and that’s all I was commenting on

BILLYHIBS
17-09-2019, 05:22 PM
We get a chance to put things right with Killie next week in the Cup

It is a Cup tie so no quarter will be given or asked for

We can warm up for it against the Hearts on Sunday

It is up to the Manager to have them physically ready and mentally prepared and of course to pick the correct team formation and tactics

worcesterhibby
17-09-2019, 05:40 PM

I wasn't at the game, but I just watched the whole thing on Hibs TV. We certainly DID press high up the pitch and did a pretty decent job of controlling most of the possession in the first half. Vela had a decent shot from a loose ball that was unlucky to crack off a defenders knee who knew nothing about it. Another day that goes in. Decent free kick from Mallan and a speculative effort from Horgan and that was it for attempts on goal. The passes were almost all to feet though and nothing in to space to run on to, so as ever the build up was ponderous and we very rarely threatened. At one point our high press resulted in a very loose square pass from Killi, which fell invitingly to Vela with both Kamberi and Allan running ahead of him. A good positive pass and we were in. Instead he checked back, hesitated and then gave the ball away.

A lot of passes to Kamberi bounced off him. Vela mostly passes 4 yards to Hanlon and then moves into a position behind an opposition player to avoid receiving the ball. Nothing came off for Scotty Allan, Halberg was decent without being spectacular and took his (disallowed) goal well. Porteous on the whole played well. I actually thought Mallan had a decent game. Naismith and Stevenson both did fine. Hanlon had a decent enough game until he gave the ball away and it led to the second goal. Marciano did very little. Horgan worked very hard, but his delivery was poor.

We actually played OK. Our issue was that we never really looked like scoring. Flo was pretty poor, Horgan's crossing and passing was awful and even Allan's final ball was poor. We did look better than we have for a couple of games...but that's not hard.

The biggest problem is that we had no drive and energy when we went a goal behind. It was the same one paced play. mostly neat, decent possession, no cutting edge, no pace. Basically lacking confidence and drive

Better but not good enough.

bigwheel
17-09-2019, 05:43 PM
I wasn't at the game, but I just watched the whole thing on Hibs TV. We certainly DID press high up the pitch and did a pretty decent job of controlling most of the possession in the first half. Vela had a decent shot from a loose ball that was unlucky to crack off a defenders knee who knew nothing about it. Another day that goes in. Decent free kick from Mallan and a speculative effort from Horgan and that was it for attempts on goal. The passes were almost all to feet though and nothing in to space to run on to, so as ever the build up was ponderous and we very rarely threatened. At one point our high press resulted in a very loose square pass from Killi, which fell invitingly to Vela with both Kamberi and Allan running ahead of him. A good positive pass and we were in. Instead he checked back, hesitated and then gave the ball away.

A lot of passes to Kamberi bounced off him. Vela mostly passes 4 yards to Hanlon and then moves into a position behind an opposition player to avoid receiving the ball. Nothing came off for Scotty Allan, Halberg was decent without being spectacular and took his (disallowed) goal well. Porteous on the whole played well. I actually thought Mallan had a decent game. Naismith and Stevenson both did fine. Hanlon had a decent enough game until he gave the ball away and it led to the second goal. Marciano did very little. Horgan worked very hard, but his delivery was poor.

We actually played OK. Our issue was that we never really looked like scoring. Flo was pretty poor, Horgan's crossing and passing was awful and even Allan's final ball was poor. We did look better than we have for a couple of games...but that's not hard.

The biggest problem is that we had no drive and energy when we went a goal behind. It was the same one paced play. mostly neat, decent possession, no cutting edge, no pace. Basically lacking confidence and drive

Better but not good enough.

Good summary for me ...

Also has to be added to with the fact that Porto was too far up the park for the first goal - should have been deeper than our full back - and then would have mopped up the long ball.

We’re not scoring, and losing soft goals. As people have said - it’s a combo that kills you ...

worcesterhibby
17-09-2019, 05:49 PM
Which is a total myth if you look at the possession stats.

The possession stats may say it was even, but until the 70th minute the majority of the game was played in Killi's half. You can control the possession without actually having possession.

B.H.F.C
17-09-2019, 05:54 PM
The possession stats may say it was even, but until the 70th minute the majority of the game was played in Killi's half. You can control the possession without actually having possession.

Which is exactly what they wanted. Let us aimlessly knock it around without doing anything. Wait until we gave them it back. Then hit us on the break.

Captain Trips
17-09-2019, 06:11 PM
Regardless of how you play the match last 90+mins playing well for 45 of them might not be enough, Its a pity that when looking for some sort of crumb of condolence its we played well for 45mins without scoring and ultimately losing. Are we really now at this juncture?

The 90+2
17-09-2019, 06:13 PM
Regardless of how you play the match last 90+mins playing well for 45 of them might not be enough, Its a pity that when looking for some sort of crumb of condolence its we played well for 45mins without scoring and ultimately losing. Are we really now at this juncture?

Not really but we played decent without doing that much in the first half and were better than Killie until they scored. Wins **** all in the grand scheme of things but Ferguson was correct in that aspect.

The_Horde
17-09-2019, 06:14 PM

For me, controlling the game is at very least not giving your opponent anything in the way of good chances. Which is exactly what Killie did to us the whole game.

Meanwhile if it wasn't for a good Naismith block we could've been one down before the break.

bigwheel
17-09-2019, 06:22 PM

should we simply look at the result then? can’t we analyse the different periods of the game?

This was responding to Ferguson in Sportsound saying we played relatively well for an hour a I tend to agree . He also said without a real cutting edge - something I suspect we all agree on

Sammy7nil
17-09-2019, 06:29 PM

You can have the ball without actually having the ball :wink:
Grasshopper when you can snatch the pebble from my hand etc :greengrin

Captain Trips
17-09-2019, 06:33 PM
should we simply look at the result then? can’t we analyse the different periods of the game?

This was responding to Ferguson in Sportsound saying we played relatively well for an hour a I tend to agree . He also said without a real cutting edge - something I suspect we all agree on

Of course we can analyse parts of the game I am saying we have a thread now based on us playing well for 45 mins. It is incredibly disappointing for me we are at this stage of proceedings.

bigwheel
17-09-2019, 06:38 PM
Of course we can analyse parts of the game I am saying we have a thread now based on us playing well for 45 mins. It is incredibly disappointing for me we are at this stage of proceedings.

Some people who weren’t at the game will be surprised by Fergusons view ...That is why it has turned into a thread I suspect ....take your overall point though - it’s not a reason for sunshine on leith to be played ...[emoji6]

Captain Trips
17-09-2019, 06:40 PM
Some people who weren’t at the game will be surprised by Fergusons view ...That is why it has turned into a thread I suspect ....take your overall point though - it’s not a reason for sunshine on leith to be played ...[emoji6]

I enjoyed that remark BW. :greengrin

Since452
17-09-2019, 07:45 PM

I wasn't at the game but reading some posts on here afterwards it sounded like we were abysmal. Total contrast to what Ferguson was saying. Just surprised me a bit. Small chink of light if nothing else.

Smartie
17-09-2019, 09:29 PM

A "neutral" mate of mine came to Fenlon's last game against Hearts.

We started that game very well, didn't play all that badly throughout and were sucker punched by a cracking Ryan Stevenson strike.

He was loving our play during the first half and said to me "I thought you said your lot were *****?"

Worryingly, a feature of our worst teams has been starting games fine but not scoring when on top, then going on to lose.

CMurdoch
17-09-2019, 09:42 PM
When Broadfoot left Kilmarnock recently he was moaning like **** that the Italian manager worked day after day on the team shape instead of having them working hard on their fitness.
Looking at Saturdays game is that now paying off i.e. although Kilmarnock didn't have much of the ball we couldn't lay a glove on them then when we made a mistake they sprung the trap and scored their 2nd goal. It was a bit like when you used to watch Scottish teams playing in Europe. Lots of the ball but inevitably put to the sword in the end by wily opponents.

FilipinoHibs
17-09-2019, 10:00 PM
We didn’t create any chances but apart from that it was great I suppose 👀

Mallan free kick, Vela volley, Horgan shot tipped over the bar, Flo fluffed a chance early on. Apart from that nothing.

Hermit Crab
18-09-2019, 07:52 AM
Mallan free kick, Vela volley, Horgan shot tipped over the bar, Flo fluffed a chance early on. Apart from that nothing.

I would class that as a chance created, Vela was unlucky and Horgan shot was an easy save imo. Anyway we didn't do anywhere near enough on the day. A bad habit of ours unfortunately.

CentreLine
18-09-2019, 08:03 AM

It looks to me like the big difference between this year and last is that Stevie Mallan has not produced that early run of spectacular goals we saw last season. It was his goals that mattered this time last year while our preferred option strikers largely failed to deliver. Whether keepers are wiser to him or not we couldn’t half use a few of his crackers right now.

Tyler Durden
18-09-2019, 08:05 AM

A free kick from outside the box and that Horgan shot are not chances. Vela’s was a decent chance to be fair but came from sloppy defending as much as anything else.

I don’t have the stats but if you looked at the xG (expected goals) for the game I’m pretty certain Hibs would be less than 1. Meaning we did not create any good chances.

We simply do not have any pattern of play currently. We’re not very good at set pieces either. It’s not good.

Captain Trips
18-09-2019, 08:19 AM
Maybe we will play well for 60 mins, get some corners. Exciting times.

Sammy7nil
18-09-2019, 12:22 PM
Maybe we will play well for 60 mins, get some corners. Exciting times.

I am really looking forward to it too :greengrin

cookin_on_gaz
18-09-2019, 01:04 PM
It looks to me like the big difference between this year and last is that Stevie Mallan has not produced that early run of spectacular goals we saw last season. It was his goals that mattered this time last year while our preferred option strikers largely failed to deliver. Whether keepers are wiser to him or not we couldn’t half use a few of his crackers right now.This is pretty much spot on IMO

J-C
18-09-2019, 01:42 PM
This is pretty much spot on IMO

He's being played too deep to have any influence on the attacking 3rd, this us what happens when you don't bring in an energetic defensive midfielder and try to shoehorn another player in, total imbalance.

cookin_on_gaz
18-09-2019, 02:56 PM
He's being played too deep to have any influence on the attacking 3rd, this us what happens when you don't bring in an energetic defensive midfielder and try to shoehorn another player in, total imbalance.This is also pretty much spot on [emoji106]