PDA

View Full Version : Must Lose Derby

sambajustice
17-09-2019, 07:17 AM
This game has got me thinking, with both managers under a great deal of pressure, a win in this game will probably buy the manager of the winning team a few extra weeks at least.

However, is that something that either set of fans want?? It feels like, for the greater good, a loss would be the best result for both teams.

You're never wanting to lose to your nearest and not so dearest but how many more vital weeks and points did that amazing comeback at New Year cost Hibs in the longer term? A damn good thrashing may have got Duff Jim out sooner and given us a greater chance of survival.

Hibernian Verse
17-09-2019, 07:21 AM
This game has got me thinking, with both managers under a great deal of pressure, a win in this game will probably buy the manager of the winning team a few extra weeks at least.

However, is that something that either set of fans want?? It feels like, for the greater good, a loss would be the best result for both teams.

You're never wanting to lose to your nearest and not so dearest but how many more vital weeks and points did that amazing comeback at New Year cost Hibs in the longer term? A damn good thrashing may have got Duff Jim out sooner and given us a greater chance of survival.

In the words of John McInroe - you cannot be serious.

A result for the greater good would be a big win that spurs the team on to kickstart the season.

calumhibee1
17-09-2019, 07:22 AM
I can say with certainty that yes, a Hibs win on Sunday is exactly what I and most other Hibs fans want.

MWHIBBIES
17-09-2019, 07:23 AM
No Hibs fan wants us to lose.

04Sauzee
17-09-2019, 07:25 AM
How anyone can go into a derby hoping to loose is beyond me.

The Leith Dutch
17-09-2019, 07:27 AM
If we're indulging in whatifery then surely we want the board to act positively and replace him from what they're seeing rather than wanting a derby defeat.

Deeply concerning that you'd even mention a thrashing off then in a positive sense.

cabbageandribs1875
17-09-2019, 07:30 AM
mon the home win

cheer up craig levein

B.H.F.C
17-09-2019, 07:41 AM
We have to beat Hearts at home. As much as I get the argument about it being better long term if we lose, I don’t buy it, because he will be in charge at Killie next week even if we do lose IMO.

With the run of fixtures we have after the derby, particularly with an international break on the back of them, that’ll be him done then IMO. Meantime, let’s just make sure we beat that lot.

Sean1875
17-09-2019, 07:43 AM
Pish. Canny get my head around any Hibs fan wanting to lose to that lot. One look at their ***** scarf twirling on Sunday should be more than enough for every single Hibs fan to want to see us pummel them.

The 90+2
17-09-2019, 07:47 AM
I hate them more than I want Hecky gone. Hopefully from somewhere Sunday can be used as a springboard for the season.

GreenNWhiteArmy
17-09-2019, 07:49 AM
Craig Levein will resign on Sunday night

Imo he sacrificed a result against motherwell in order to get his players fired up for the derby

He'll get the W then revert back to DoF role with an outstanding derby record.

That situation may force the board to act

My preference is we pump them and it gives us a confidence boost we desperately need

ChickenCurryYLT

It’s been said afew times already on here but it’s true - the winner on Sunday is the real loser.

A win for us merely papers over the cracks for this fraud of a manager. I could never go to a derby not wanting us to win though, ever.

Win, lose or draw on Sunday it remains the same -
HECKINGBOTTOM OUT

we are hibs
The majority want him gone. I think most wouldve wanted him gone this week before the derby but i just cant see us doing anything until the international break next month. Until then we have

Hearts H
Killie A
Celtic H
Aberdeen A

The only game i can realistically see us having a chance of winning is the derby. The others we have no chance in imo. I would be gobsmacked if hes here after those games. Whether or not the board leaving it till after that is too late is up for debate. For me it is. We are currently letting the season slip away into yet another boring season. Change now and at least try and inject some kind of enthusiasm around the place.

Mainstandman
Pish. Canny get my head around any Hibs fan wanting to lose to that lot. One look at their ***** scarf twirling on Sunday should be more than enough for every single Hibs fan to want to see us pummel them.

correctomundo them scoring is bad enough but watching their fans celebrate is awful. win on Sunday anyway they can and pump Killie mid week.

The 90+2
17-09-2019, 07:51 AM
The majority want him gone. I think most wouldve wanted him gone this week before the derby but i just cant see us doing anything until the international break next month. Until then we have

Hearts H
Killie A
Celtic H
Aberdeen A

The only game i can realistically see us having a chance of winning is the derby. The others we have no chance in imo. I would be gobsmacked if hes here after those games.

We can win the derby and the cup game.

Paisley Hibby
17-09-2019, 07:54 AM

Let's be clear. You want Hibs to lose on Sunday and you expect the rest of us to agree with you? I think you've posted this here by mistake.

we are hibs
17-09-2019, 07:54 AM
We can win the derby and the cup game.

Our last 2 matches away to killie under this manager makes me feel we have no chance

17-09-2019, 07:58 AM
Wanting to lose is for losers and it takes away any credibility they had.

sambajustice
17-09-2019, 08:07 AM
Let's be clear. You want Hibs to lose on Sunday and you expect the rest of us to agree with you? I think you've posted this here by mistake.

Ha ha no, of course not. I'm not "wanting" to lose to the slack jawed West Edinburgh Brown Shirts. Was merely saying, does a win for either team keep the manager in post for a few extra weeks that could cost more points than the 3 gained in that particular match?

maybe I should have titled the thread "is it a must lose derby?"

Since452
17-09-2019, 08:22 AM
Sorry but anyone who doesn't want to win a game against that shower is not a Hibs fan. It's looking like Heckingbottom is struggling badly and a change will probably happen if we lose but i will be celebrating a win over them as exuberantly as normal if we beat them. It's in my DNA. Whos to say a derby win won't re-ignite our season?

FilipinoHibs
17-09-2019, 08:27 AM
Never want us to loose unless it meant Hearts being relegated or not winning the league. Good article with Hanlon in the news today. GGTTH.

Onceinawhile
17-09-2019, 08:30 AM
Wanting us to lose :rolleyes:

I'd rather we won and turned our season around tbh. Even if we win one game, I don't think it would dramatically extend his time in charge if we were to regress to losing every week.

The 90+2
Our last 2 matches away to killie under this manager makes me feel we have no chance

There’s always a chance. Take one of our chances early doors Saturday we wouldn’t have lost. God knows where the optimism is coming from tbh but it’s such an important week it’s time for positivities.

Stokesy's on fire
I want us to hammer them there is no way losing to hearts is something i would wish for

lucky
17-09-2019, 08:36 AM
I never want to lose to them regardless how bad Heckingbottom is

flash
17-09-2019, 08:38 AM
There’s always a chance. Take one of our chances early doors Saturday we wouldn’t have lost. God knows where the optimism is coming from tbh but it’s such an important week it’s time for positivities.

Exactly. In our new found world of trying to get on with each other i agree. Put all the other stuff aside for a few days. it would be massive to turn them over and deepen their crisis on Sunday.

Carheenlea
17-09-2019, 08:40 AM
The day you want to lose a Derby is the day you stop being a Hibs fan.

The 90+2
17-09-2019, 08:41 AM
Exactly. In our new found world of trying to get on with each other i agree. Put all the other stuff aside for a few days. it would be massive to turn them over and deepen their crisis on Sunday.

👍 Yep. The pain we could inflict on them winning on Sunday would be massive and if we play a game at tempo then we can do so. Time for bickering, negativity, he says she says whatever to end and all sing from the same page. We all have in common our love of the Hibs and our dislike of they fannies, let’s concentrate on that.

MWHIBBIES
17-09-2019, 08:41 AM
Craig Levein will resign on Sunday night

Imo he sacrificed a result against motherwell in order to get his players fired up for the derby

He'll get the W then revert back to DoF role with an outstanding derby record.

That situation may force the board to act

My preference is we pump them and it gives us a confidence boost we desperately need

He doesn't have an outstanding derby record at all. When he loses on Sunday it will be one win in 5.

MrSmith
17-09-2019, 08:43 AM
Hecky has to ensure we win this game on Sunday, anything else is well ... is wholly unacceptable!

ancient hibee
17-09-2019, 09:39 AM
No Hibs or Hearts fan should want to lose.

To me the result should have no effect on the manager's future.It's clear the hiring and the transfer window have been a total botch-up.

SMAXXA
17-09-2019, 09:47 AM
Is the real question if it’s a draw will they both get punted 😂

Jim44
17-09-2019, 09:52 AM
Derby or not, the game is against a very poor team and a win shouldn’t cloud LD’s take on our problems.

Jones28
17-09-2019, 09:58 AM
No Hibs fan wants us to lose.

I dunno, some of the bonkers comments on here I bet they’ll be a few who wouldn’t lose much sleep over it.

Jones28
17-09-2019, 09:59 AM
Derby or not, the game is against a very poor team and a win shouldn’t cloud LD’s take on our problems.

She’s not stupid, I’m sure she will view a derby win like we all would: great, but there are still huge cracks here.

Barman Stanton
17-09-2019, 10:03 AM
Whats so frustrating is that whenever Hearts are poor, we tend to be as well. We can never really take advantage of the situation. Like when they went into admin and get relegated. We only go and follow them into the Championship.

stoneyburn hibs
17-09-2019, 10:25 AM
A good skelping of Hearts would excellent if it was to be Leveins last game in charge.

Hamish
17-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Bookies (Bet365 anyway) have us slight favourites at 6/4. Hearts 17/10.

we are hibs
17-09-2019, 10:47 AM
Bookies (Bet365 anyway) have us slight favourites at 6/4. Hearts 17/10.

A hearts side who if they lose on sunday will be officially on their worst run in their entire history. And we arent even money on at home to beat them.

matty_f
17-09-2019, 11:34 AM
Hecky's on his way out anyway, I'd rather he did it after a win against Hearts, though. Even if it buys him more time, so what? He's got the points to earn it if it staves off his exit for another week or so.

It's must-win, no matter how you cut it.

lyonhibs
17-09-2019, 11:40 AM
What a ****ty thread title. It's a Derby, every Hibs fan worthy of the name wants us to win this game and for it to be a platform from which our season gets salvaged.

I can't say I personally expect it to pan out like that, but I would never, ever, ever wish us to lose a derby, regardless of my feelings of apathy for the manager

chrisski33
17-09-2019, 11:44 AM
i want us to win no matter what! maybe a god time to have a get Hecky out banner to be revealed at the derby?

scoopyboy
17-09-2019, 12:06 PM
The day I go to a Hibs Hearts derby and want Hibs to lose would be the last day I ever went to a football match and would give up watching the sport.

Absolute bonkers

Shrekko
17-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Whenever a suggestion is made that some Hibs fans are at times, depending on their agenda, quite happy when we lose/fail, people tend to get a bit aggressive and defensive about it.

The fact that some people are actually admitting it openly this week in the run up to A DERBY just completely proves the point is sadly true.

One Day Soon
17-09-2019, 12:14 PM
The day you want to lose a Derby is the day you stop being a Hibs fan.

Correct. Having said that I suspect that if we did lose this one it might have quite a big silver lining...

JimBHibees
17-09-2019, 12:27 PM
The day I go to a Hibs Hearts derby and want Hibs to lose would be the last day I ever went to a football match and would give up watching the sport.

Absolute bonkers

Cant disagree with that.

turn and burn
17-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Dead thread.

WhileTheChief..
17-09-2019, 02:13 PM

Absolute bonkers

I doubt any Hibs fan at ER on Saturday will want us to lose.

What some folk are saying is that if we do get beaten, and it means we get a new manager, then it's not all bad.

I personally don't give a toss what the result is. Until this clown is away from my club I'm finding it hard to care.

Hiber-nation
17-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Correct. Having said that I suspect that if we did lose this one it might have quite a big silver lining...

I know what you are saying but I'd still be absolutely gutted if we lost at home to the worst team in the league.

JimBHibees
17-09-2019, 02:20 PM

What some folk are saying is that if we do get beaten, and it means we get a new manager, then it's not all bad.

I personally don't give a toss what the result is. Until this clown is away from my club I'm finding it hard to care.

On no planet would losing to Hearts ever be not all bad.

jacomo
17-09-2019, 02:21 PM
A good skelping of Hearts would excellent if it was to be Leveins last game in charge.

:agree:

And keep them planted at the foot of the table.

Sean1875
17-09-2019, 02:21 PM

In fairness I cant imagine there will be too many Hibs fans at ER on Saturday :greengrin

scoopyboy
17-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Fair enough but if you are at the game tell me your thoughts on Sunday night, especially if you couldn't care about the result at kick off time.

Heisenberg
17-09-2019, 02:40 PM

You don’t care what the result is in the Derby? Probably the most ridiculous post I’ve seen from a hibs fan.

Spike Mandela
17-09-2019, 02:51 PM
Victory for either team could be a springboard to the team taking confidence and kicking on for the season.

If there is any chance of that happening I would rather it was us.

B.H.F.C
17-09-2019, 02:59 PM
Victory for either team could be a springboard to the team taking confidence and kicking on for the season.

If there is any chance of that happening I would rather it was us.

This. I’m starting to feel a bit less miserable as the week gets on.

Ultimately, I don’t think beating them will improve our long term prospects. But I hate Hearts. I hate losing to Hearts. And I love beating Hearts. So come Sunday, that’s all that really matters.

WhileTheChief..
17-09-2019, 03:12 PM
You don’t care what the result is in the Derby? Probably the most ridiculous post I’ve seen from a hibs fan.

10 years on Hibs.net and this is the most ridiculous??

You've prob made a few more yourself :na na:

Hermit Crab
17-09-2019, 03:27 PM
I'm negative as **** but I would never want us to lose to Hearts. He's gone either way, a win on Sunday won't save him.

Since452
17-09-2019, 03:31 PM

If you feel like this now you must have been close to breaking point last season under our previous manager

WhileTheChief..
17-09-2019, 04:04 PM
If you feel like this now you must have been close to breaking point last season under our previous manager

Not at all. My favourite time being a Hibs fan was under Lennon.

Loved it and wish he was here now. Infinitely better than the imposter that replaced him.

flash
17-09-2019, 04:29 PM

Loved it and wish he was here now. Infinitely better than the imposter that replaced him.

Did you become a Hibs supporter in the last 2 years?

One Day Soon
17-09-2019, 04:57 PM

That's absolutely the case.

WhileTheChief..
17-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Did you become a Hibs supporter in the last 2 years?

Why do you care if I liked Lennon or not?

There’s thousands of us on here, we’re not all going to agree with you so stop with the needless digs eh.

Sir David Gray
17-09-2019, 05:44 PM
If anyone who calls themselves a Hibs fan seriously wants us to lose on Sunday then they should stay at home.

How anyone can say they hope we lose an Edinburgh Derby is beyond me.

I hope we absolutely pump them on Sunday and yes I do think Heckingbottom should go but this game is about more than the position of the manager.

BoomtownHibees
17-09-2019, 05:46 PM
If anyone who calls themselves a Hibs fan seriously wants us to lose on Sunday then they should stay at home.

How anyone can say they hope we lose an Edinburgh Derby is beyond me.

I hope we absolutely pump them on Sunday and yes I do think Heckingbottom should go but this game is about more than the position of the manager.

Have many, if any at all, said that they want us to lose?

Weegreenman
17-09-2019, 05:53 PM
I’ll be right up for this derby like I am every other. I’ll be praying that the majority of supporters are wrong regards Heckingbottom and that this is the game we all look back on as the turning point.

Anyone remember Fergie’s start to his Manchester United career? 😉💚

flash
17-09-2019, 06:30 PM
Why do you care if I liked Lennon or not?

There’s thousands of us on here, we’re not all going to agree with you so stop with the needless digs eh.

I don't care in the slightest. I liked him too. Just surprised it was your best time.

Sir David Gray
17-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Have many, if any at all, said that they want us to lose?

The original post on this thread states that a loss may be the best result for the greater good. I was simply responding to that suggestion.

Carheenlea
17-09-2019, 07:16 PM
I'm negative as **** but I would never want us to lose to Hearts. He's gone either way, a win on Sunday won't save him.

It wouldn’t surprise me if succession planning is already in process and results in the immediate short term won’t change much, unless there is a dramatic upturn in performance. It’s more than just results, as some of the wins have been less than convincing.

WhileTheChief..
17-09-2019, 08:11 PM
I don't care in the slightest. I liked him too. Just surprised it was your best time.
We’ve had better teams and I’m not saying he was the best manager we’ve had in my time but I always felt a buzz around ER when he was there.

Now, nothing, just flat, so yeah I’d have him back in a heartbeat.

Skol
17-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Back in 1998 we went to tynie in dire form with Duff Jimmy on his way out. We lost 2 early goals and 7-0 looked on the cards. We somewhow got to half time.

McGinley and Walker somehow salvaged a draw and we went home feeling like winners. Duff Jimmy eventually got sacked but the time that derby draw bought him meant there wasnt enough time to stave off relegation.

While I dont want to lose, the fact is that the losing manager is likely to be out of a job allowing time to salvage a season

Since452
17-09-2019, 08:26 PM
Back in 1998 we went to tynie in dire form with Duff Jimmy on his way out. We lost 2 early goals and 7-0 looked on the cards. We somewhow got to half time.

McGinley and Walker somehow salvaged a draw and we went home feeling like winners. Duff Jimmy eventually got sacked but the time that derby draw bought him meant there wasnt enough time to stave off relegation.

While I dont want to lose, the fact is that the losing manager is likely to be out of a job allowing time to salvage a season

Remember it well. That Hearts team almost won the league. I like to think those dropped points and us beating them at ER under McLeish stopped that from happening

Eyrie
17-09-2019, 08:27 PM

Hearts H
Killie A
Celtic H
Aberdeen A

The only game i can realistically see us having a chance of winning is the derby. The others we have no chance in imo. I would be gobsmacked if hes here after those games. Whether or not the board leaving it till after that is too late is up for debate. For me it is. We are currently letting the season slip away into yet another boring season. Change now and at least try and inject some kind of enthusiasm around the place.

Timing is everything.

I'd give Heckingbottom the derby and league cup game, then fire him. The Celtc and Aberdeen games are a write off based on our current lack of form.

That gives us a couple of weeks to find the new manager who then has the international break to work with the players and possibly sign an out of contract defensive midfielder.

MB62
17-09-2019, 08:42 PM

And is that not the real suggestion of The O.P?

The 90+2
17-09-2019, 08:50 PM
Timing is everything.

I'd give Heckingbottom the derby and league cup game, then fire him. The Celtc and Aberdeen games are a write off based on our current lack of form.

That gives us a couple of weeks to find the new manager who then has the international break to work with the players and possibly sign an out of contract defensive midfielder.

That’s assuming we lose or draw or a bit of both in the next two games.

How about getting behind the HC and stop talking about him being punted? We’re all Hibs and all that *****.

Onion
17-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Never want Hibs to lose but still shudder at the impact that 2-2 at Tynie had all those years ago. Yes, it felt good to come back from 2 down at HT but 100% led to us getting relegated. At HT, Duff Jimmy was gone, history, finito. That fightback saved him and consigned the club to 2nd tier football - a high price to pay. If you could turn back time, I'd happily taken a 2-0 or 2-1 defeat.

This situation has a similar feel about it. PH looks just as clueless and uninspiring as Duff Jimmy and our Board look as though they're praying for a result or two to save them from admitting their mistake and sacking him.

The only positive today is that Levein thinks he can turn things around - or at least that's what he's telling himself. We should all be getting behind Levein.

One Day Soon
17-09-2019, 09:07 PM
Never want Hibs to lose but still shudder at the impact that 2-2 at Tynie had all those years ago. Yes, it felt good to come back from 2 down at HT but 100% led to us getting relegated. At HT, Duff Jimmy was gone, history, finito. That fightback saved him and consigned the club to 2nd tier football - a high price to pay. If you could turn back time, I'd happily taken a 2-0 or 2-1 defeat.

This situation has a similar feel about it. PH looks just as clueless and uninspiring as Duff Jimmy and our Board look as though they're praying for a result or two to save them from admitting their mistake and sacking him.

The only positive today is that Levein thinks he can turn things around - or at least that's what he's telling himself. We should all be getting behind Levein.

My version of that was under Williamson. I seem to remember playing Montrose at ER in a Cup game and winning 10-0 after a shocking run. Everyone I was with was delighted and all I could think was '****, that's bought him ages and this is going to be murder the whole time'.

One Day Soon
17-09-2019, 09:08 PM
And is that not the real suggestion of The O.P?

I guess so and he's got a point. You want to win but you also fear the consequence.

Eyrie
17-09-2019, 09:59 PM
That’s assuming we lose or draw or a bit of both in the next two games.

How about getting behind the HC and stop talking about him being punted? We’re all Hibs and all that *****.

I'm 100% in support of Hibs, but that doesn't mean I have to blindly support individual players or the current manager if I don't feel that their contribution is of sufficient benefit to Hibs.

In Heckingbottom's case, I believe he is trying his best but neither the performances nor results provide enough evidence for me to back him as well as Hibs.

The 90+2
17-09-2019, 11:05 PM
I'm 100% in support of Hibs, but that doesn't mean I have to blindly support individual players or the current manager if I don't feel that their contribution is of sufficient benefit to Hibs.

In Heckingbottom's case, I believe he is trying his best but neither the performances nor results provide enough evidence for me to back him as well as Hibs.

Me too. Let it be until next week though.

JimBHibees
18-09-2019, 06:44 AM
It wouldn’t surprise me if succession planning is already in process and results in the immediate short term won’t change much, unless there is a dramatic upturn in performance. It’s more than just results, as some of the wins have been less than convincing.

Would be amazed if this wasn't the case.

HAZ2000
18-09-2019, 08:04 AM
Complete loser mentality from a select few on here. A derby win should be enough to kickstart the season.

Hibeesmad
18-09-2019, 08:10 AM
If we lose on Sunday he has to go, the atmosphere around Easter Road would be absolute vermin on match days otherwise. A win on Sunday I think would give him the opportunity to turn things around until the International break, leaving him with a cup game and two tough fixtures against Celtic and Aberdeen to turn things round.